more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: TV Series

Started by Jack Fulham, May 03, 2011, 09:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sipwell

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on May 04, 2011, 12:34:57 AM
The Wire. Simply the best TV program ever. Bar none. Anyone who thinks otherwise is an uneducated fool.

I fell asleep during the second episode. I don't think I'd qualify for an uneducated fool though.

I am quite a fan of House MD. House's sarcasm, you know ;-)
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

King_Crud

FX is showing repeats of Arrested Development. Still one of the best comedies ever made

BalDrick

Quote from: sipwell on May 04, 2011, 10:49:05 AM
The Wire. Simply the best TV program ever. Bar none. Anyone who thinks otherwise is an uneducated fool.

I fell asleep during the second episode. I don't think I'd qualify for an uneducated fool though.

House is brilliant, agree on that. Try The Wire again though is my advice, also Deadwood.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

TonyGilroy

I thought Boardwalk Empire was superb.

Deadwood is still the benchmark for me. The sort of series Shakespeare would be writing if he were alive today.

AlFayedsChequebook

It must be because you have not been 'fully informed'  :015:

Seriously though, simply an amazing program that deals with pretty much every moral quandry in the book. As is oft quoted, it is the televisual equivalent of a Dickensian novel. If you persevere then you will not be disappointed.

The Equalizer

I'm currently watching:

Dexter Season 4
Deadwood Season 3
The Wire Season 2

All of them absolutely superb and completely addictive.

If you prefer a little sci-fi action then Battlestar Galactica is the best sci-fi show I've ever seen.

I also like watching Curb Your Enthusiasm because Larry David is a complete genius.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Lighthouse

The Shield I loved and  bought all the series. The Wire I didn't love and found it had said all it was going to say by the third series,just with different locations.

House, Dexter, Battlestar Galactica, Deadwood, Carnivale, Dead like me, Firefly, Nurse Jackie, Cadfael, Poirot, Miss Marple (Joan Hickson) Buffy, Veronia Mars are all the older DVDs I have playing when there is nothing on TV worth watching. I rent all the films I watch and a lot of Series. Don't have SKY or Digital or Channel 5.

Not enough on TV to make me want SKY or Digital. Cheaper to rent and buy and read what people like and then rent it. :011:
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

sipwell

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on May 04, 2011, 11:12:32 AM

Seriously though, simply an amazing program that deals with pretty much every moral quandry in the book. As is oft quoted, it is the televisual equivalent of a Dickensian novel. If you persevere then you will not be disappointed.

Well, if a series doesn't convince me in the first episode it won't in the second either. If the click isn't there, it'll never come! That said however: it is not because I don't like the series that you shouldn't watch it. I have spoken to a lot of people who were ecstatic about The Wire and I am happy for them!

Lighthouse

The Killing - a Danish crime series I think, is worth a watch, I guessed the killer in the second episode but the atmosphere was really well done. Unlike Vera where there wasn't any atmosphere.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

BalDrick

'Well, if a series doesn't convince me in the first episode it won't in the second either.'

I always thought that too but lost count of the amount of times I tried, and gave up on, Deadwood. Can't even remember why I gave up on it now but mighty glad I persevered.

TonyGilroy

You might find The Wire different.

In principle I agree that you need to be won over early but The Wire really does take time to work its magic. The first episode has literally dozens of characters speaking a very strange dialect and its impossible to know what's happening but the fog lifts by about the 4th episode. I think it's worth investing the time.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: sipwell on May 04, 2011, 12:00:30 PM

Well, if a series doesn't convince me in the first episode it won't in the second either. If the click isn't there, it'll never come! That said however: it is not because I don't like the series that you shouldn't watch it. I have spoken to a lot of people who were ecstatic about The Wire and I am happy for them!

Thats a bit short sighted!

Has following fulham players such as Zamora, Baird and Salcido taught you nothing?

The Equalizer

Quote from: TonyGilroy on May 04, 2011, 12:09:00 PM
You might find The Wire different.

In principle I agree that you need to be won over early but The Wire really does take time to work its magic. The first episode has literally dozens of characters speaking a very strange dialect and its impossible to know what's happening but the fog lifts by about the 4th episode. I think it's worth investing the time.

Nailed it. The Wire is a slow burner and a half. But unlike other dramas, it's not trying to squeeze an entire story into an hour. It's trying to squeeze a very small part of a very large story into an hour, and it just happens that the bit you're watching might not be the most interesting bit.

I was a real sceptic over The Wire myself, but that stems from my dislike of cop shows in general. This one is full of incredibly deep characters, and it takes time to develop them and the story to the level of intrigue whereby you are suddenly totally addicted.

Belgian - stick with it mate! It's worth it!
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

sipwell

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on May 04, 2011, 12:12:24 PM

It must be because you have not been 'fully informed'  :015:

Has following fulham players such as Zamora, Baird and Salcido taught you nothing?

Apples and oranges my friend, apples and oranges.

But it isn't short sighted. I won't argue with the fact that a series can grow on you. I disliked however too many things in The Wire from the start. I might give it a second chance though (giving in to peer pressure). Happy now? :)

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: sipwell on May 04, 2011, 12:20:22 PM
Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on May 04, 2011, 12:12:24 PM

It must be because you have not been 'fully informed'  :015:

Apples and oranges my friend, apples and oranges.

But it isn't short sighted. I won't argue with the fact that a series can grow on you. I disliked however too many things in The Wire from the start. I might give it a second chance though (giving in to peer pressure). Happy now? :)

I am happy. Peer pressure = consensus of the people!

sipwell

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on May 04, 2011, 12:26:27 PM

I am happy. Peer pressure = consensus of the people!

You are easily pleased :)

I have always enjoyed Boston Legal. I am not really a "lawyer's series" fan but this one has so much machismo and so much humour it stuck :)

RidgeRider

It's not an HBO or a cable channel series, so there are certain limitations in place in terms of language usage and how intense the violence etc can be, but if you like The Shield, then there is a new series that I am currently addicted to called The Chicago Code.

Backdrop is a the city of Chicago, that I love, and it's history of corrupt officials and an the underworld. It has lots of regular characters but the main character is a crusading, gritty, flawed, in your face, tough guy detective who with is rookie college educated want-to-be FBI partner  get free rein to work on the cases they want in the micro, while in the macro they are trying to catch corrupt officials, one in particular.

Show does a good job of getting you to really not like the bad guy and the corrupt officials while in a way showing some of the good side to them and how they may have become corrupted.

Because it is on Fox it can't quite go as far as say Fx or AMC or HBO but its about as gritty as you can get for Fox.

Highly recommended.

BalDrick

Quote from: RidgeRider on May 04, 2011, 02:54:52 PM
It's not an HBO or a cable channel series, so there are certain limitations in place in terms of language usage and how intense the violence etc can be, but if you like The Shield, then there is a new series that I am currently addicted to called The Chicago Code.

Backdrop is a the city of Chicago, that I love, and it's history of corrupt officials and an the underworld. It has lots of regular characters but the main character is a crusading, gritty, flawed, in your face, tough guy detective who with is rookie college educated want-to-be FBI partner  get free rein to work on the cases they want in the micro, while in the macro they are trying to catch corrupt officials, one in particular.

Show does a good job of getting you to really not like the bad guy and the corrupt officials while in a way showing some of the good side to them and how they may have become corrupted.

Because it is on Fox it can't quite go as far as say Fx or AMC or HBO but its about as gritty as you can get for Fox.

Highly recommended.

Yep seen that trailered, wondered if it would be as twee as Blue Bloods, which frankly after a few episodes was cack. Don't know if you've watched that for a comparison?

Tom

Quote from: BalDrick on May 04, 2011, 03:45:20 PM
Quote from: RidgeRider on May 04, 2011, 02:54:52 PM

Highly recommended.

Yep seen that trailered, wondered if it would be as twee as Blue Bloods, which frankly after a few episodes was cack. Don't know if you've watched that for a comparison?
Blue Bloods is a decent show, I watch it.
Fulham for life!

FatFreddysCat

I was the same regarding BlueBloods, thought it was good and would only get better, but cack describes it perfectly. Sipwell, The Wire is superb, and i almost gve up on it myself because i couldn't understand the black talk, but glad i stuck with it, or i would have missed one of the best programs ever made. I even bought the boxset  :54: