watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

A joke for our Ameican cousins.

Started by FatFreddysCat, May 04, 2011, 08:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blingo

Yes i have read all 3 pages. LIGHTEN UP im laughing at this, and am taking it in the spirit in which it has been posted, ie, for amusement only, not intentional offence.

LBNo11

...Moderating is a difficult thing, we are not trained or professional and behind the scenes we 'talk; to each other over various issues so as to strike a balance for the sake of a harmonious site. As mentioned in previous threads you have to try and look at each post to see whether it is likely to cause offence. Yes we can see that certain posts are intended as a joke - to qualify as a moderator doesn't mean having a sense of humour by-pass!

However, what we say/text/e-mail/post on facebook to each other personally is usually done to people who we know wouldn't be offended by the content - but on a public message board where there are many who don't know each other on a personal level, and so we have a duty of care to ensure that posts do not become personal or get out of hand due to misinterpretation of others humour levels.

In this instance a notification by an extremely dedicated moderator was given in a friendly manner that we were keeping an eye on this thread to ensure it didn't get out of hand and then people make comments to him!

We do have another option as mods and that is to say nothing, delete without notification or edit posts or lock threads, this is much easier for us, if less personal...

Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

sipwell

Quote from: LBNo11 on May 05, 2011, 11:17:25 AM
...Moderating is a difficult thing, we are not trained or professional and behind the scenes we 'talk; to each other over various issues so as to strike a balance for the sake of a harmonious site. As mentioned in previous threads you have to try and look at each post to see whether it is likely to cause offence. Yes we can see that certain posts are intended as a joke - to qualify as a moderator doesn't mean having a sense of humour by-pass!

However, what we say/text/e-mail/post on facebook to each other personally is usually done to people who we know wouldn't be offended by the content - but on a public message board where there are many who don't know each other on a personal level, and so we have a duty of care to ensure that posts do not become personal or get out of hand due to misinterpretation of others humour levels.

In this instance a notification by an extremely dedicated moderator was given in a friendly manner that we were keeping an eye on this thread to ensure it didn't get out of hand and then people make comments to him!

We do have another option as mods and that is to say nothing, delete without notification or edit posts or lock threads, this is much easier for us, if less personal...

Here Here! And you do it well!
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

Blingo

Ed no one doubts the task you guys have or the spirit in which it is done m8, but its only a joke and therefore should be taken as such. Everyone who has posted on here as being offended, have also seen the lighter side. Perhaps a suggestion would be to put a new topic at the top of the page headed "DO NOT READ IF YOU ARE EASILY OFFENDED" just an idea, but I think you would see it would be pretty well used, and in that way it can all be moderated under the one banner and the warning would be made in advance. I do not think that anyone on here doubts that you guys do a good job on here and we realise that it is a thankless task. All I can say on that is thanks for the time and effort you ALL put into FOF.

LBNo11

...appreciate your support Ralph, and not a bad suggestion, I will ask the other mods their thoughts on this. My underlying concern is that even if there was a "DO NOT READ IF YOU ARE EASILY OFFENDED" on each post:-
1) We have to rely on the poster stating that in the post subject.
2) It may attract to many 'car-crash' views who will view it as a chance to have a bit of cyber bovver.
3) And the most important thing, as this is a public forum some people viewing may take an objection to a higher authority and the site could be closed, the majority of those who visit daily look but do not participate, and who knows if they may have agendas and enjoy causing trouble.

I appreciate '3' is looking at the worse case scenario, but political posts on this and every other message board always attracts strong opinions that can get out of hand, and on other MB's frequently do. The main function of Friends Of Fulham is for football talk about Fulham FC, and as stated before, there are loads of places where you can go to air your political views so please lets keep this site Fulham and football...

PS: Fred, I'm going to change your avatar to this  :wum:  if you're not careful..!
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Admin

I'm sorry but in full support of my fellow moderators this thread has now been locked. If anyone has any issues as to why this has been done then please contact me by P.M.