Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (05/05/11)

Started by WhiteJC, May 05, 2011, 07:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Fulham confirm interest in Espanyol hitman

Published 16:51 05/05/11

By MirrorFootball

Fulham boss Mark Hughes has confirmed he's been on a scouting mission to watch Espanyol this week, after being strongly linked with a move for striker Pablo Daniel Osvaldo.

Hughes jetted out to Barcelona to take in Espanyol's Primera Division win over Athletic Bilbao, in which the highly-rated Osvaldo scored.

Hughes was reportedly joined at the Estadi Cornella-El Prat by Manchester United's chief European scout - Sir Alex Ferguson's brother Martin - Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp and Everton gaffer David Moyes.

Osvaldo, 25, has also been valued by some at £12million, making Fulham very much underdogs for his signature should a bidding war begin.

"We're looking at what's available," said Hughes. "We're looking at a view to next year and if we can add quality to the quality we already have then we'll try to do that.

"But it is price-sensitive, I would suggest. Sometimes you can want to bring a good player in but financially you haven't got the means to do that.

"So we're just making sure that we're out there and we understand what's in the market place."

Hughes has also been linked with the more affordable Young Boys forward Henri Bienvenu Ntsama and Swansea star Scott Sinclair as he looks to bolster his attack this summer.

The loss of Bobby Zamora to a broken leg in September hit the club hard and the Fulham boss appears eager to avoid a repeat next season.

Hughes also reported good news regarding top scorer - and Fulham's new record Premier League scorer - Clint Dempsey, who missed Saturday's 3-0 win at Sunderland.

"Clint's trained after the weekend," said the Cottagers boss, whose side host Liverpool on Monday night. "He was a bit stiff in his hamstrings on the Friday prior to the Sunderland game, so there was no point in risking him.

"I took the view to leave him behind and he's benefited from that and he should be okay. He's trained today and he'll train right up to the game so he should be an option for us."

Brede Hangeland will also be available again after missing last weekend's game through illness, but Zoltan Gera and Rafik Halliche remain sidelined.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-transfer-news-Mark-Hughes-has-confirmed-interest-in-12m-rated-Espanyol-striker-Pablo-Daniel-Osvaldo-but-Manchester-United-Tottenham-and-Everton-are-watching-him-too-article732138.html#ixzz1LUny3iHZ

White Noise

Duff Injury Update

Thursday 5th May 2011

Mark Hughes revealed on Thursday afternoon that Damien Duff has undergone surgery on his Achilles and will miss the final three matches of the season.

Hughes explained that Duff's surgery and rehabilitation should be straightforward and the winger is expected to return to fitness in six weeks ahead of the 2011/12 Barclays Premier League campaign.

"Damien has had an operation on his Achilles and the view is that his recovery will be six weeks," Hughes told fulhamfc.com. "He'll be fit and well for next season. It should be pretty straightforward.

"We've been managing it (Achilles) through the season and in fairness he's done really well with it. In the end we made the decision that the best route was to get it sorted now.

"He's actually had the operation done by the same guy that did Bobby Zamora's last year so we have every confidence he'll be back in the time stated."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/May/DamienDuffInjuryUpdate.aspx#ixzz1LUq9TsAc

Lighthouse

Mark Hughes on a potential Eidur Gudjohnsen deal: "We're trying to make it happen because I've been really pleased with what Eidur has brought to the Team. There's a will on both sides to make sure that Eidur remains at Fulham next year and it's a case of having more discussions and getting to a level where everyone is happy but I think we're close."
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

White Noise

We're Back!

Thursday 5th May 2011

Mark Hughes' hand will be strengthened when Fulham play Liverpool following the news that Brede Hangeland and Clint Dempsey will be fit and available for Monday night's Barclays Premier League clash at the Cottage.

Dempsey grabbed a brace during Fulham's 3-0 home win over Bolton last week and after recovering from a tight hamstring the US international will be raring to go on Monday evening.

"Clint's trained after the weekend," said Hughes on Thursday afternoon. "He had a bit of stiffness in his hamstring on the Friday prior to the Sunderland game and there was no point in risking him. We took the view to leave him behind and he's benefitted from that.

"He should be okay [to play Liverpool] as he trained today and he'll continue training right up until the day of the game. He'll be an option for us on Monday night."

Brede Hangeland has also recovered from a bout of sickness that forced him out of action last weekend but there was less positive news for Zoltan Gera and Rafik Halliche, as Hughes explained on Thursday afternoon.

"Zoltan Gera went over on his ankle on Thursday so he's on the treatment table, as is Rafik Halliche."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/May/LiverpoolTeamNews.aspx#ixzz1LUquqNwY

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11701_6915063,00.html

Hughes expects Eidur deal

Striker set for move after impressing on loan

By Pete O'Rourke - Follow me on Twitter @skysportspeteo.   

Last Updated: May 5, 2011 6:35pm

Fulham boss Mark Hughes has revealed he is close to sealing a permanent deal for loan star Eidur Gudjohnsen.

Gudjohnsen joined Fulham from Stoke on loan until the end of the season and he has impressed in recent weeks for the Cottagers.

The former Chelsea and Barcelona forward is available on a free transfer in the summer and Hughes is hopeful of agreeing a deal to keep the Icelandic international.

"We're trying to make that happen," admitted Hughes.

"I've been really pleased with what Eidur's brought to us and I know that he's

enjoying his time here.

"Eidur would like to stay, I'm sure, and we would reciprocate that as well.

"We're hopeful it'll get done quite soon."

Dempsey boost

Hughes also revealed top scorer Clint Dempsey will be available for next Monday's clash with Liverpool.
Dempsey, who is Fulham's new record Premier League scorer, missed last weekend's win at Sunderland with a tight hamstring, but he is back in training and should be fit for the visit of Liverpool.

"Clint's trained after the weekend," added Hughes.

"He was a bit stiff in his hamstrings on the Friday prior to the Sunderland game, so there was no point in risking him.

"I took the view to leave him behind and he's benefited from that and he should be okay.

"He's trained today and he'll train right up to the game so he should be an option for us."

White Noise

http://www.givemefootball.com/league-two/gmf-exclusive-interview-with-wycombe-star

GMF exclusive interview with Wycombe star

Kevin Betsy has got his sights set on a hat-trick of promotions

By Lawrie Madden  May 05, 2011

Kevin's keen to repay the fans after last year's relegation. (©PAphotos)Picture GalleryNew

Kevin Betsy This would be one of my best achievements in my career 

Kevin Betsy is no stranger to promotion having gained success with Fulham and Bristol City but if Wycombe go up on Saturday it will be one of the flying winger's finest achievement s after being relegated last season.

GMF caught up with him before the last game of the season, hopefully for Betsy.

A win and Wycombe are promoted, anything less and they can be overtaken, and have to settle for the play-offs.

Q. It all comes down to the last game. How do you feel?

A. We've worked hard all season and promotion has always been our goal so it is a case of finishing of the job against Southend. It's a massive game.

I was sitting at home watching the Cardiff game who were hoping to go up that day but it killed them. We have to make sure it doesn't happen to us.

Q. Do you feel under pressure?

A. No, the manager has been fantastic. He has been cool, calm and relaxed about the last few games and this week as well. He is very good at taking the pressure of the players.

I was fortunate to win with Bristol City when we got promoted but the last ten minutes felt like hours.

Q. If things didn't go according to plan would you be able to pick yourselves up for the play-offs?

A. It would not be a case of trying to pick yourself up; it would be a case of having to. We are fully focused and if, for a variety of reason, it doesn't go to plan than we will have to do plan B.

Q. If you do manage to go up, what would it mean to you and the club?

A. I got promoted with Fulham from the Championship to the Premiership and with Bristol City from the First Division to the Championship but this would be one of my best achievements in my career.

We got relegated last year so to go back up and repay the fans would be immense.

White Noise

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/fulham-confirm-interest-in-espanyol-striker-pablo-daniel-osvaldo-2279603.html

Fulham confirm interest in Espanyol striker Pablo Daniel Osvaldo

By Ben Rumsby, PA

Thursday, 5 May 2011

Fulham boss Mark Hughes today confirmed he had been on a scouting mission to watch Espanyol this week after being strongly linked with a move for striker Pablo Daniel Osvaldo.

Hughes jetted out to Barcelona to take in Espanyol's Primera Division win over Athletic Bilbao, in which the highly-rated Osvaldo scored.

Hughes was reportedly joined at the Estadi Cornella-El Prat by Manchester United's chief European scout - Sir Alex Ferguson's brother Martin - Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp and Everton's David Moyes.

Osvaldo, 25, has also been valued by some at £12million, making Fulham very much underdogs for his signature should a bidding war ensue.

"We're looking at what's available," said Hughes.

"We're looking at a view to next year and if we can add quality to the quality we already have then we'll try to do that.

"But it is price-sensitive, I would suggest, and sometimes you can want to bring a good player in but financially you haven't got the means to do that.

"So we're just making sure that we're out there and we understand what's in the market place."

Hughes has also been linked with the more affordable Young Boys forward Henri Bienvenu Ntsama and Swansea star Scott Sinclair as he looks to bolster his attack this summer.

The loss of Bobby Zamora to a broken leg in September hit the club hard and the Fulham boss appears eager to avoid a repeat next season.

He announced another injury blow today, revealing winger Damien Duff had finally been forced to concede defeat in his bid to overcome a long-standing Achilles problem.

"Damien Duff has had an operation on his Achilles," Hughes said.

"The view is that he'll be probably a six-week recovery and then he'll be fit and well for next season."

That would rule Duff out of the Republic of Ireland's Carling Nations Cup fixtures against Northern Ireland and Scotland later this month, and the June European Championship qualifier against Macedonia.

The 33-year-old had been named yesterday in Giovanni Trapattoni's provisional 33-man squad.

Hughes added: "We've been managing it through the season in fairness and Damien's been doing really well with it.

"But it just got to the point where one course of treatment was compromising another course of treatment that we had to do to allow the injury to settle down in between games.

"In the end, we made a decision that the best route was to get it sorted now.

"He actually had the operation done by the guy that did Bobby Zamora's last year, so we have every confidence that it's pretty straightforward and he'll be back in the timeframe."

Hughes reported better news regarding top scorer - and Fulham's new record Premier League scorer - Clint Dempsey, who missed Saturday's 3-0 win at Sunderland.

"Clint's trained after the weekend," said the Cottagers boss, whose side host Liverpool on Monday night.

"He was a bit stiff in his hamstrings on the Friday prior to the Sunderland game, so there was no point in risking him.

"I took the view to leave him behind and he's benefited from that and he should be okay.

"He's trained today and he'll train right up to the game so he should be an option for us."

Brede Hangeland will also be available again after missing last weekend's game through illness, but Zoltan Gera and Rafik Halliche remain sidelined.

Hughes also revealed he was "very close" to wrapping up a permanent deal for Eidur Gudjohnsen, who joined Fulham on loan from Stoke in January and whose promotion to the starting line-up has yielded seven points from the last three games.

The 32-year-old former Chelsea and Barcelona striker would be available on a free transfer as his Potters contract expires this summer.

Hughes added: "We're trying to make that happen.

"I've been really pleased with what Eidur's brought to us and I know that he's enjoying his time here.

"Eidur would like to stay, I'm sure, and we would reciprocate that as well.

"We're hopeful it'll get done quite soon."

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_6915005,00.html

Hughes eyeing new strikers

Fulham boss spotted watching Espanyol star Osvaldo

Last Updated: May 5, 2011 5:39pm

Fulham manager Mark Hughes has confirmed he is looking at bolstering his striking options for next season.

The Welsh boss flew out to Barcelona to watch Pablo Daniel Osvaldo in Espanyol's victory over Athletic Bilbao in the Primera Divison, a game in which the former Italy Under-21 international managed to score.

Hughes, however, is not the only one looking at the highly-rated 25-year-old, with Manchester United chief European scout Martin Ferguson, Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp and Everton manager David Moyes all present.

Fulham are short on strikers, with Bobby Zamora still working his way back to full fitness and Andrew Johnson and Moussa Dembele not prolific in front of goal.

Outsiders

But with Osvaldo's price tag of around £12million, Fulham have to be considered outsiders to land his signature if there is to be competition.

Hughes admitted that he needed to assess other options, with Young Boys striker Henri Bienvenu Ntsama and Swansea's Scott Sinclair considered more affordable options.

"We're looking at what's available," said Hughes.

"We're looking at a view to next year and if we can add quality to the quality we already have then we'll try to do that.

"But it is price-sensitive, I would suggest, and sometimes you can want to bring a good player in but financially you haven't got the means to do that.

White Noise

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2011/5/5/2155425/duff-out-but-well-be-fine

Duff Out But We'll Be Fine

by Kristian Balkin on May 5, 2011 5:22 PM BST

Mark Hughes has revealed that Damien Duff is set to miss out on the remainder of the season after undergoing surgery on his Achilles injury.

Speaking to Fulhamfc.com, manager Hughes explained that Duff's road to recovery should be 'simple' and that he will be back well in time for the opener of 2011/12's Premier League campaign.

"Damien has had an operation on his Achilles and the view is that his recovery will be six weeks. He'll be fit and well for next season. It should be pretty straightforward.

"We've been managing it [the Achilles injury] through the season and in fairness he's done really well with it. In the end we made the decision that the best route was to get it sorted now.

"He's actually had the operation done by the same guy that did Bobby Zamora's last year so we have every confidence he'll be back in the time stated."

Sad news of course, but, nonetheless, the squad should be well capable of seeing the season out. With the double D's of Davies and Dempsey on the wings, we're more than adequately adept to handling Duff's injury problems and the only reward at steak for us in the final few games are a higher league standing and a sufficiently favourable disciplinary record.

I wish the Irishman all the best and a happy return come next season!

White Noise

Fulham boss admits Osvaldo interest

By Jacob Murtagh

May 5 2011

FULHAM boss Mark Hughes has confirmed his interest in Espanyol striker Pablo Daniel Osvaldo.

Sparky saw the Argentina-born Italian score in the 2-1 win against Athletic Bilbao on Monday, but faces competition from Manchester United, Spurs and Everton for the £12million-rated star.

Hughes said: "The boy Osvaldo's been flagged up for a long time and I think everybody's aware of him - he's a good player.

"But you wouldn't expect me to say too much about him because he's somebody else's player."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/05/05/fulham-boss-admits-osvaldo-interest-82029-28643198/#ixzz1LVkLc3sF

White Noise

Eidur Gudjohnsen set for permanent Fulham move

By Jacob Murtagh

May 5 2011

MARK Hughes hopes to iron out a deal to keep Eidur Gudjohnsen at Fulham.

The former Chelsea frontman has made eight appearances for the Whites since his loan switch from Stoke in January, but is yet to find the net for his new club.

Gudjohnsen told the Chronicle last month that he had opened talks about extending his stay at Craven Cottage.

And boss Hughes is confident of keeping the 32-year-old in SW6.

"We're trying to make that happen," he said. "I'm really pleased with what he's brought to us and he's enjoying his time here.

"If we can make it happen that's our intention. There's a will on both sides to make sure he remains here next year."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/05/05/eidur-gudjohnsen-set-for-permanent-fulham-move-82029-28641828/#ixzz1LVkknzDv

White Noise

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/swansea-sensation-sinclair-fulham-radar-1610311

Swansea sensation Sinclair on Fulham radar

04.05.11 | tribalfootball.com

Swansea City attacker Scott Sinclair is attracting Premier League interest.

The England U21 international has been nothing short of sensational for the Swans since his arrival from Chelsea last summer.

The Daily Mail says Fulham boss Mark Hughes is ready to make an offer for Sinclair.

However, any move will depend on whether Swansea fail to win promotion from the Championship.

White Noise

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/everton-fulham-go-espanyol-bosman-chica-1611121

Everton, Fulham go for Espanyol Bosman Chica

04.05.11 | tribalfootball.com

Espanyol full-back Javi Chica Torres is a target for Everton.

The Mirror says Everton boss David Moyes is set to swoop for Torres in a surprise free transfer move.

Moyes watched the highly-rated defender, who can play on either side of the back four, in a flying visit to Spain and could open talks shortly.

The Goodison chief faces competition for Chica from Fulham, with boss Mark Hughes also watching him in action against Athletic Bilbao.