https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (06.05.11)

Started by White Noise, May 06, 2011, 06:50:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Feeling Good

Friday 6th May 2011

After netting a brace against Sunderland last weekend, Simon Davies is certainly back to his best and enjoying his return to Mark Hughes' starting eleven.

Since his return against Wolves, Simon Davies has played an integral role in the Club's recent impressive run of form, as Mark Hughes' Team picked up seven points from their last three Premier League encounters.

Davies' brace against Sunderland last weekend guaranteed the Club's position in the Premier League next season, the Club's 11th successive season in the top flight. The Welshman has had to be remain patient in recent times following a spell on the sidelines but is back in confident mood after overcoming a recent injury worry.

"I think I may have gone over on my ankle in training and it was nothing serious at the time," Davies explained. "When I started to feel it, I had injections. But when you're not feeling your best, you're not likely to play at your best – and it started to affect my confidence and I got left out. I got another opportunity because of Damien's (Duff) injury – and in any season these things happen. My ankle might give me more problems – but right now its fine and I feel good."

Fulham face Liverpool at the Cottage on Monday night and whilst the Reds will arrive in SW6 in confident mood, Davies believes Mark Hughes' attacking approach at home could deliver another memorable performance and result for the Fulham faithful.

"He (Hughes) knew he had the nucleus of a good side," said Davies. "Our shape under Roy was set up to wait for things to happen, but with the manager now, especially at home, we're more geared up to go and attack sides.

"The players have taken to the manager because they get clear instructions about their roles and the rewards have shown themselves. Liverpool are playing with a lot of confidence – but so are we. We'll give them a really good game on Monday night."

The Cottage has become something of a fortress for Fulham in recent seasons, with some impressive domestic and European scalps taken on the banks of the Thames over the past few years. Davies has been at the forefront of many such memorable moments and the Welshman offered an insight into some of the unique characteristics and challenges the Cottage presents to opposing teams.

"I played at the Cottage before I joined the club, and it was always very compact with everyone on top of you," Davies explained. "When you take a corner you have to run up a hill in a short space, which is tricky for a right-footed player like me aiming to in-swing it, and that's quite different to working on deliveries at the training ground. Of course, we're used to it and use it to our advantage, and teams coming knowing our reputation is good at home."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/May/SimonDaviesLiverpoolPreview.aspx#ixzz1LZ7T7JiK

White Noise

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/6915751/Fulham-v-Liverpool-preview

Fulham v Liverpool preview

Friday 6th May 2011 9:48

Team news for Monday night's Premier League clash between Fulham and Liverpool at Craven Cottage (kick-off 8pm).

Clint Dempsey and Brede Hangeland are back in contention for Fulham.

Midfielder Dempsey (hamstring) - the Cottagers' all-time top scorer in the Premier League - and defender Hangeland (illness) missed Saturday's 3-0 win at Sunderland.

Damien Duff will not play again this season after undergoing Achilles surgery, while Zoltan Gera and Rafik Halliche remain sidelined.

Fulham (from): Schwarzer, Baird, Hangeland, Senderos, Hughes, Salcido, Etuhu, Davies, Murphy, Sidwell, Greening, Dempsey, Dembele, Zamora, Johnson, Stockdale, Kelly, Gudjohnsen, Kakuta.

Fulham v Liverpool - Match Result: Fulham 19/10 .

White Noise

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/9475026.stm

Fulham    v    Liverpool

Live text and stats

Monday, 9 May 2011

Barclays Premier League

Fulham v  Liverpool 20:00

Barclays Premier League
Venue: Craven Cottage Date: Monday, 9 May Kick-off: 2000 BST
Coverage: Watch live on Sky Sports 1; listen on BBC Radio 5 live and local radio; text commentary on BBC Sport website and mobiles

TEAM NEWS

Fulham winger Damien Duff has been ruled out for six weeks after undergoing Achilles surgery and will miss the rest of the season.

But top scorer Clint Dempsey is expected to return from a hamstring strain, while defender Brede Hangeland is available after illness.

Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish has reported no fresh injury concerns.

He may be tempted to reinstate Andy Carroll to the starting XI following his recovery from a knee injury.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fulham

Doubtful: Dempsey (hamstring)

Injured: Duff (Achilles), Gera (ankle), Halliche (unspecified)

Liverpool

Injured: Agger (knee), Aurelio & Kelly (both hamstring), Gerrard (groin)

MATCH PREVIEW

With the future of Kenny Dalglish still unclear, Liverpool's players head to Craven Cottage hoping to strengthen the caretaker boss's claim on the job by tightening the Reds' grip on a place in next season's Europa League.

All that matters is that we keep on winning games and going up the table. The Europa League is our objective

Liverpool striker Luis Suarez
Newspaper reports this week claimed Dalglish's wish for the final say on all transfers is thought to be delaying his being named manager on a permanent basis, but the prospect of the Scot being allowed to walk away from Anfield would surely be unthinkable if he can secure the club's involvement in continental competition next season.

To do that Dalglish's team need to win their battle with Tottenham Hotspur for fifth place in the Premier League, with next weekend's visit of Spurs to Anfield likely to prove decisive.

Fulham have enjoyed their own renaissance since the turn of the year, thanks largely to a formidable home record that has produced six wins and a draw. Victory here would equal a club record four consecutive Premier League home wins, last set from January to February 2006.

MATCH FACTS
Head-to-head

• Liverpool's most recent trip to Craven Cottage ended in a 3-1 loss in October 2009. However, that is the Reds' only defeat in the last seven meetings between the sides.

• Fulham have failed to score in six of their last seven meetings with Liverpool.

Fulham

• Fulham are the only Premier League club yet to concede a goal from a penalty this season. The only one they have given away was missed by Manchester United's Nani back in August.

• Andrew Johnson and Danny Murphy are two goals shy of 50 in the Premier League.

• Fulham have won six of their last seven at Craven Cottage, drawing the other.

• During this run of seven games, only Blackburn have managed to breach the Cottagers' defence.

Liverpool

• Only Chelsea (35 points) have taken more points than Liverpool (30) since Kenny Dalglish was appointed manager of the Reds.

• Liverpool are the only Premier League club to have scored in all their Premier League fixtures (17) in 2011.

• Dirk Kuyt has scored eight goals in the club's last seven league matches.

• If selected, Sotirios Kyrgiakos will be making his 50th Liverpool appearance in all competitions.

LEADING GOALSCORERS

Fulham

Dempsey: 13 goals (12 league); Zamora: 6 goals (4 league)

Liverpool

Kuyt: 14 goals (12 league); Carroll: 13 goals* (13 league)

*Carroll scored 11 goals (11 league) for Newcastle.

MATCH OFFICIALS
Referee: Lee Mason

Assistant referees: Stephen Child & Simon Long

Fourth official: Kevin Friend

LAST LEAGUE MATCH LINE-UPS
Fulham (W3-0 v Sunderland, a): Schwarzer, Salcido, Senderos, Hughes, Baird, Kakuta (Greening 62), Murphy (Etuhu 79), Sidwell, Davies, Zamora (Johnson 79), Gudjohnsen. Subs not used: Stockdale, Kelly, Dembele, Hoesen.

Liverpool (W3-0 v Newcastle, h): Reina, Flanagan (Shelvey 81), Carragher, Skrtel, Johnson, Meireles, Lucas, Spearing, Maxi (Carroll 69), Suarez (Cole 87), Kuyt. Subs not used: Gulacsi, Kyrgiakos, Ngog, Robinson.

White Noise

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2011/05/fulham-vs-liverpool-a-priceless-away-victory/

Fulham vs Liverpool: A priceless away victory?

Liverpool travel to Fulham on Monday night for a tricky test in their hopes to cling onto fifth place in the Premier League.

Fulham have a good home record this season and will make life difficult for Kenny Dalglish's men, who's away form has been less than impressive all season.

But the Reds are really starting to find some form and come off the back of a 3-0 victory over Newcastle Utd and 5-0 victory over Birmingham City.

Kick-off at Craven Cottage is 8pm on Monday, 9th May 2011.

Many thanks to our friends at kickoff.co.uk for all the stats ahead of the game...

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/may/06/squad-sheets-fulham-liverpool

Squad sheets: Fulham v Liverpool

guardian.co.uk, Friday 6 May 2011 16.57 BST

Liverpool arrive on the banks of the Thames having spanked Birmingham and Newcastle in their last two games to thrust them into contention for Europa League qualification, and with the clamour for confirmation that Kenny Dalglish is to oversee the continued renaissance at fever pitch. That will surely come given the galvanising effect he has had, though the visit to Fulham represents an awkward occasion. Mark Hughes has challenged his players to secure their highest ever points tally in the top flight by winning their final three games, securing a top-10 finish en route. The Cottagers have lost only three league games since new year's day and, even without Damien Duff, will test the Dalglish inspired revival. Dominic Fifield

Venue Craven Cottage, Monday 8pm

Tickets Sold out

Last season Fulham 3 Liverpool 1

Referee Lee Mason

This season's matches 21 Y90, R3, 4.43 cards per game

Odds Fulham 2-1 Liverpool 6-4 Draw 23-10

Fulham v Liverpool: probable starters in bold, contenders in light. Photograph: Graphic Fulham
Subs from Etheridge, Stockdale, Pantsil, Kelly, Greening, A Johnson, Dembélé, Senderos, Kakuta, Etuhu

Doubtful Dempsey (hamstring), Hangeland (illness)

Injured Gera (ankle, 15 May), Halliche (leg, 22 May), Duff (achilles, Aug)

Suspended None

Form guide WWDLWL

Disciplinary record Y41 R0

Leading scorer Dempsey 12

Liverpool
Subs from Gulacsi, Cole, Jovanovic, Kyrgiakos, Rodríguez, Wilson, Ngog, Poulsen, Shelvey, Robinson, Hansen

Doubtful Aurélio (thigh), Jovanovic (knee)

Injured Kelly (hamstring, 15 May), Agger (knee, Aug), Gerrard (groin, Aug)

Suspended None

Form guide WWDWLW

Disciplinary record Y58 R2

Leading scorer Kuyt 12

Match pointers

• Fulham have failed to score in six of their last seven league meetings with Liverpool

• 59.2% of Liverpool's passes this season have been played in or into the opposition half, the lowest ratio in the division

• Aaron Hughes has played more Premier League matches without being sent off (396) than any other defender

• Lucas Leiva has attempted a tackle every 16.5 minutes this season – more regularly than any other player

• On average, Fulham have conceded their first goal after 31 minutes, quicker than any other side in the top flight

White Noise

Fulham v LIVERPOOL: Fit again Andy Carroll may have to settle for place on the bench

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 4:48 PM on 6th May 2011

Liverpool striker Andy Carroll may have to settle for a place among the substitutes again for Monday's trip to Fulham.

The £35million club record signing came off the bench for a 20-minute appearance in last weekend's win over Newcastle after recovering from a knee injury but the form of Dirk Kuyt and Luis Suarez may mean the England international has to wait for a starting opportunity.

Handy man: Carroll may have to act as an impact sub

Forgotten winger Milan Jovanovic (knee) and defender Fabio Aurelio (hamstring) both have a chance of being included.

Provisional squad: Reina, Flanagan, Carragher, Skrtel, Johnson, Lucas, Spearing, Meireles, Rodriguez, Kuyt, Suarez, Gulacsi, Kyrgiakos, Wilson, Robinson, Shelvey, Poulsen, Cole, Carroll, Jovanovic, Aurelio.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1384351/Fulham-v-LIVERPOOL-Fit-Andy-Carroll-settle-place-bench.html#ixzz1Lawz6HYd

White Noise

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2011/5/6/2157324/a-satirical-chat-with-the-liverpool-offside

A Satirical Chat With The Liverpool Offside

by Kristian Balkin on May 6, 2011 4:50 PM BST

Our penultimate home game comes up on Monday evening, and being the forward thinking writer that I am, I didn't do anything. However, upon approach from Noel, of The Liverpool Offside, I was given the opportunity to have a rather strange yet fondly orchestrated question and answer battle in preparation for a game that, only a few months ago, would have pitted us against our former manager. Here are my slightly twisted questions and their responses. For my answers to his similarly peculiar questions, check out liverpool.theoffside.com.

1.    My Nan often told me as a wee child that Scottish people were bad people whose accents hurt your ears. She also explained to me, in fairness, truthfully, that they like to fry lots of things and upon googling such myths I've since become a believer in the Deep-Fried-Mars-Bar-Scandal. However, it seems in football, that my Grandma had the wrong idea. In fact, they seem like a rather intelligent bunch north of the footballing border, so, needless to say, you're pleased our former gaffer Roy Hodgson has gone and been replaced by Kenny Dalglish, a Scot who I'm sure you're a wee bit familiar with?

Liverpool and Scots go together better than kilts and haggis, and have for just about as long as there's been a Liverpool Football Club. In fact, aside from the goalkeeper, the very first squad was made up entirely of Scots. At the time it was a reaction to Everton holding a monopoly on the best local talent, but it soon became a core component of the club's makeup, a reflection of its willingness to look first to Scotland, Ireland, and Wales, and then even further afield for players, tactics, and training methods that would give it a leg up on the competition and eventually see Liverpool the dominant English side in Europe. Roy Hodgson, though, never seemed to understand the club--his unfailing embrace of defensive shape and a flat 4-4-2 and long-ball tactics may have, if anything, been too quintessentially, stereotypically English to every really fit with an identity built on a history of watching pass and move football from European terraces and whose very beginnings involved looking north to Scotland instead of south to London. And as for Dalglish, well, he's just all kinds of awesome and there isn't a man, woman, or child who isn't glad to have him back.

2.    I'm aware that the above isn't technically a question, so I haven't stuck to my question and answer promise. I'll try harder to stick to format on this question, so here goes. Like all Arsenal winning streaks, good things eventually come to an end, such as this season. So, with this season effectively at a climax, what are your hopes for the coming Premier League term?

The club's been on form for second this season--or around third or fourth most years--since Dalglish returned, so with a handful of quality signings over the summer it's not all that far fetched to hope to at least be in the title discussion come next year, and I think for most a solid top-four showing is the expectation.

3.    I'm not known in my college for my fashion knowledge (no rhyme intended), but it has never stopped me from having an opinion on other people's attire and layout. For example, I once saw a girl that had utilised, albeit effectively, a condom as a sock. It no doubt kept her foot nice and dry, and of course 'safe', but I was the first to shake my head at the fact she had technically adopted a sandal and sock fusion which is so rightfully condemned in popular media. Her choice of condom was also elaborately incorrect, as she had opted for a flavoursome one of red colour, when she could have easily dressed in one from Durex's 'extra-safe' line and escaped my ridicule. Her colour choice brings me on, albeit strangely, to Liverpool FC's logo. Are you a fan of the green and red, or would you like something different?

The overdone green and red jumble that is the current club crest is, well, an overdone green and red jumble that would be better were it relegated to historical curiosity status. Unfortunately, a return to the days of a simple and unadorned liverbird seems unlikely, as being an image in the public domain the mere thought of a badge the club couldn't enforce the copywrite on would send half the finance, marketing, and legal departments into apoplectic shock. Where that leaves things realistically is hard to know, but over the past year the club and Adidas have moved towards using the current badge in a single colour to match whatever design it's paired with, and at the very least that's an improvement.

4.    If Pepe Reina were a cartoon character, whom would he be?

You just want me to say Tinky Winky the purple Teletubby, so I'm going to go with Grape Ape instead. Though if he was a purple Teletubby, it would probably have to be a purple Teletubby on steroids seeing as he can at times look like the Premier League player most likely to succeed in American football.

5.    According to Eddie Izzard, AV is the way forward with regards to electoral reform. Also according to Eddie Izzard, if you've never seen an elephant ski, you've never been on acid. I, by no means, mean to denounce his support for AV (because as boring as the concept is, I agree with it) but his latter quote proved false when I once saw an elephant skiing and I wasn't, I promise, on drugs. You see, drugs aren't everything, kids. However, where do you think Liverpool would be now had you been under the guidance of Kenny Dalglish all season?

I think I may have already answered this, which is exceptionally embarrassing. And the heels don't help. Still, even if one accepts that some of the early season troubles were down to things outside of the manager's direct control and that being a close second--even if that's the form the club has been on since his return--would probably have never been in the cards, it's hard not to think a Champions League slot would have been wrapped up by now.

6.      My favourite film character was a guy called Slevin in a film called 'Lucky Number Slevin'. His dad was killed after gambling some money and losing it, and Slevin, being the intelligent man that he is, grew up with the intention of exacting revenge on the men that had killed his father. As his age ripened, he did indeed carry out his vengeful attack and it made for a very interesting film. So there you go, there's my favourite film character, now who's your favourite Fulham player?

Zoltan Gera. Mostly because his name is Zoltan and so it's hard not to imagine him as a villainous space emperor dropping asteroids on moons and moons on planets and planets into suns. And, you know, other stuff that evil space emperors would probably do. Like having a death star filled with an army of Daleks. Or something.

7.     And, finally, what will the score be on Monday evening?

Something to something, in all likelihood, and with one or more somethings also possibly being nothing. Because answering this question has never gone well for us.