watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (08.05.11)

Started by White Noise, May 08, 2011, 06:10:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/news/2011/05/08/simon-davies-reckons-hodgson-had-no-chance-at-liverpool-102039-23114131/

Simon Davies reckons Hodgson had "no chance" at Liverpool

May 8 2011 by Dean Jones, The People

SIMON DAVIES reckons Roy Hodgson has already proved that Liverpool were too hasty in sacking him.

Hodgson was booted out of Anfield in January after a terrible six months in charge, but he has since taken over at West Brom and led them to safety thanks to a brilliant run of results.

Fulham's Davies, who played under him at Craven Cottage, said: "Roy's done an unbelievable job at West Brom. When I heard he was going there I knew if he could organise them they would be fine.

"At Liverpool, maybe they just wanted more. They want attacking football and they want goals, but Roy is about attacking shape and defensive shape.

"It was a shame because I think if he had stayed there long enough it would have worked because he had the quality to do it. It was just a tough job to take on. I felt sorry for him when people were calling him a bad coach. He's definitely not. He's a top bloke and if was given the time he would have done a good job.

"Even after a couple of months you could see the trademark two banks of four – now he's doing it at West Brom.

"People knocked it, but it is successful. Look at the two years we had with him. Our record at home over that period was amazing." Baggies' impressive form has also underlined the reasons why Hodgson was named 2010 manager of the year after taking Fulham on an inspired run in Europe, according to Davies.

The 31-year-old midfielder added: "It's not always the players and managers at top teams that get recognition when it comes to awards. It's only right that Scott Parker got player of the year for doing so well for West Ham, and the same should go for managers.

"Roy got it last year for taking us to the Europa League final and it's good that people recognise work that is being done up and down the league."

Davies is in fine form himself for Fulham, who host Liverpool tomorrow. But he admits it took time to deal with Hodgson's departure at the end of last season, and the arrival of Mark Hughes.

He said: "As much as we tried to carry on the same after Roy left, we got a new manager with a totally different philosophy to how he wants us to play.

"What we did with Roy was engrained into us and it always takes a little while to settle when you change managers. But now we should settle comfortably in the top half of the table."

White Noise

Schwarzer determined to follow Van der Sar's example

Published 23:00 07/05/11

By Declan Taylor

Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer has been inspired to play into his 40s by Edwin van der Sar – and the Aussie ­expects foreign goalkeepers to continue their English dominance long after he s gone.

Schwarzer, 38, has played nearly 600 games in English football and has no intention of calling it a day with potentially two seasons left on his Fulham deal.

Manchester United's Van der Sar, meanwhile, is set to retire at the end of the season aged 40.

The pair have been two of the Premier League's outstanding goalkeepers over the past decade, while English goalkeepers have often failed to match up to their overseas counterparts.

And Schwarzer does not expect that to change because of a problem at grass-roots level.

"Keepers are predominantly foreign because they're better than what is being produced here," he said.

"Do you look at ground level and say what's going wrong? Why aren't goalkeepers coming through the ranks? It's a big problem in England and it has been for a while."

One young English goalkeeper tipped for greatness is Schwarzer s Fulham understudy David Stockdale.

It looked as though the 25-year-old might break through into the first team this season with Schwarzer seemingly on his way to Arsenal.

But, when the sides failed to agree a fee, Schwarzer stayed at Fulham and pledged his future to the club in December.

"If it had been anyone else other than a club in the top two or three in the country then I wouldn't have even been interested," he admitted.

"When all the dust settles there's no use crying over spilt milk. I'm delighted to have stayed and re-signing reiterated that.

"I'm 38 now so it's potentially my last port of call but I'll continue as long as I can and there's an option for another year.

"Van der Sar is a great example to follow and someone I admire a lot.

"To see someone of his age still playing at that level inspires me and at the moment I feel as fit as ever, if not better."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-s-Mark-Schwarzer-determined-to-follow-Edwin-Van-der-Sar-s-example-and-play-into-his-40s-article732727.html#ixzz1Ljd3mPUF

White Noise

Holloway talks relegation battlers Blackpool out of a place in Europe

Last updated at 11:12 PM on 7th May 2011

Blackpool may be among the favourites to be relegated from the Premier League but they could still

play in Europe next season, courtesy of UEFA's Fair Play table. Yet Ian Holloway's hectoring of officials during games could dash that dream.

UEFA will award three Europa League spots for 2011-12 on the basis of fair play this season. The three fairest leagues will get one spot each and the fairest team in each of those leagues will get the berths.

At the last count, Norway, England and Sweden were the three fairest nations, so a Premier League team are well placed for a berth. Blackpool would be favourites but for Holloway's animation.

A Premier League match delegate at each game rates fair play by five criteria: red and yellow cards (RY); positive play (PP) with sportsmanship rewarded and cynicism marked down; respect towards opponents (RO); respect towards the referee (RR); and the behaviour of club officials (BO), namely
the manager and coaches during play.

It's a scream: Ian Holloway voices his concern at the match official

These numbers are filed to Premier League HQ in confidential reports. The latest figures show Blackpool's PP rating is better than anyone's and their respect towards opponents and referees is also up there with the best. But their BO — pardon the pun — stinks. No club have been rated lower. 

One source said: 'Blackpool have been big hits with neutrals and it's easy to see why Holloway is seen as a breath of fresh air. But ask any official which manager is the most animated and most responsible for earache during games and you'll find a consensus.'
The calculations are complicated but if Blackpool had been rated as among the fairest teams by BO, they would be in pole position for the fair play spot. Instead, Fulham occupy that berth, and it's almost certainly too late for Blackpool to catch up.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1384698/Nick-Harris-Holloway-talks-relegation-battlers-Blackpool-place-Europe.html#ixzz1Ljh4Wqb5

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/may/07/barnet-port-vale-league-two?INTCMP=SRCH

Kisses, alcopops and relief flow as Barnet live for another league day

Izale McLeod's solitary goal meant Barnet avoided relegation and prompted wild celebrations in north London

Comments (7) 

Anna Kessel at Underhill Stadium guardian.co.uk, Saturday 7 May 2011 20.33

The Barnet caretaker manager Guiliano Grazioli is mobbed by fans after his side's escape from relegation. Photograph: Tom Jenkins for the Guardian

"Whatever happens at full time please can everyone stay off the pitch," implored the stadium announcer. But as Barnet secured a 1-0 win against Port Vale to stay in the Football League a small corner of north London stormed Underhill's sloping green. Men kissed women, men kissed men, even the police officers got a peck as shirts came off and Barnet's heroes were hoisted into the air.

Giuliani Grazioli – Barnet legend and the man who inadvertently became the club's fourth manager of the season five games ago when Martin Allen unexpectedly quit after 19 days in charge – was swarmed by adoring fans.

Relief, happiness and a large dazed grin washed over him as he tried to describe the feeling of engineering Barnet's great escape. "Being here as a player and winning promotion was amazing," said the striker who scored 29 goals in 2005 to win Barnet promotion to the league, "but this surpasses everything. That may sound strange to some people but as a player you rely on yourself whereas today I had to rely on the 11 out there and the subs.

"Yes I'm getting the acclaim at the front, but I've not done anything, I've not been the one who stepped over the line. I've tried to keep it calm and cool but deep down inside I've been struggling."

"I've got to thank Aldershot," he added cheekily, of the side that beat Lincoln 3-0 to put Barnet's fate into their own hands, "but I knew my boys would put a performance in."

The result would affect many more than just those living in this leafy part of north London. Flags from around the world adorn the Village Shop that sells Barnet memorabilia next to the stadium, a veritable Bees' diaspora. But why would people from Sweden or Japan support Barnet? "Well, why not?" came the indignant shopkeeper's reply.

Before kick-off there was a tangible air of nervous anticipation around the ground. Barnet had been here before, having survived relegation on the final day of the season last year. Supporters gathered sipping beers on the grass in front of the Pavilion, anxiously waiting for the match to start. "I feel sick," said one.

In the tiny players' lounge an injured Steve Kabba, the former Sheffield United striker, gripped the bar and looked miserable. "I just wish I was out there playing," he said. If omens were anything to go by the game did not start well with Mr Bumble, the Bees' mascot, accidentally stamping on former £1m striker Izale McLeod's foot. The ex-Charlton player hopped away in pain.

Certainly it was an uphill struggle in the first half – but then it always is at Underhill's extreme sloping pitch. There were chances apiece for McLeod, Mark Byrne, Daniel Leach and Mark Marshall but none would go in. From the dugout Grazioli and Lawrie Sanchez — the former Fulham manager and Barnet's football consultant —looked on, hands nervously poised to their mouths, twitching, fiddling, shouting advice. Every chance was met with a rake of the hair and an "Ohh!" from the crowd. But while the attempts rained in on Port Vale's goal, and the visitors barely reciprocated, come half-time the scores in the relegation deciders read 0-0.

One minute into the second half and McLeod was brought down by Gareth Owen for a penalty. Barnet's leading scorer stepped up to take the kick and netted to ecstatic applause.

In the stands nervous fans didn't know where to look, their attention flickering between the action on the pitch and the score at Sincil Bank. With half an hour to go news slowly worked its way around the ground, Lincoln — who had taken just one point in nine games — had given away a penalty. Another goal came to tie things up for Aldershot, but there were hearts in mouths at Underhill as the Port Vale captain, Marc Richards, came close to scoring.

Barnet, try as they might, could not increase their lead and with six minutes of injury time announced an agonising wait ensued for the final whistle, as the Barnet bench complete with reserves and injured players looked on.

The roar at full-time was incredible, and delirium ensued. "We love you Graz!" shouted the crowd while the players celebrated with ciders and alcopops. At this end of the league champagne does not flow, even in moments such as these, a cool reminder of just how much was financially — let alone emotionally — at stake for Barnet over this result.

White Noise

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/189922/I-could-have-made-a-Mark-with-Arsenal/

I COULD HAVE MADE A MARK WITH ARSENAL

8th May 2011

By Tony Stenson

FULHAM keeper Mark Schwarzer admits his head was turned by Arsenal's interest.

At the age of 38, Aussie Mark Schwarzer wanted a crack at the big time when Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger saw him as the ideal replacement to Jens Lehmann and made a £3million offer.

It led to a series of arguments from both sides, with Schwarzer threatening to quit the game until all parties moved on.

But now, on the eve of Fulham's match with Liverpool, Schwarzer said: "Obviously the clubs did not agree and that's the closest we got. There's no hidden message. Everyone knew my position on the whole matter.

"As a player, a professional, you always want to try to play at the highest level and try to better yourself. I still have the hunger and desire to do that and you want to try to explore those avenues. It was only natural, I think.

"There was never any disrespect to Fulham because from day one my family and I have always felt unbelievably welcome. We have loved every minute here.

"If it had been anyone else than a team in the top three in the country, I would not have been interested. There was a chance of Champions League football."

White Noise

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/fulham-boss-hughes-players-want-right-previous-liverpool-defeat-1618191

Fulham boss Hughes: Players want to right previous Liverpool defeat

08.05.11 | tribalfootball.com

Fulham boss Mark Hughes is confident his players will need little motivating for tomorrow's game with Liverpool.

Fulham left Anfield deeply disappointed in late January after producing a performance worthy of at least a point and Hughes believes his Team has the quality to overcome a rejuvenated Liverpool side at the Cottage.

"Liverpool are playing exceptionally well and from the outside looking in, they seem to be playing with a smile and enjoying their work," Hughes told fulhamfc.com. "It's probably the personality of the Manager because Kenny always played with a smile on his face.

"When you see him with a big smile that filters through to the group I am sure. They seem to be responding to Kenny at the moment and getting good results as a consequence.

"It will be a difficult challenge for us but from the same point of view we could say exactly the same. We're playing with confidence so it's going to be a good match up. We went to Anfield early in Kenny's tenure and played exceptionally well.

"We were beaten on the night but we were extremely disappointed that we didn't get anything out of the game. If we play as well as we did on that day we'll go close but we would argue that we have the potential to play even better given that we're the home side this time."

White Noise

http://www.onlinegooner.com/article.php?section=exclusive&id=2254

Game over... You lose again, Arsene!

By Joe Fitzpatrick

Remember when Arsenal had a reputation for defending?

What will you all do with your lives after Arsenal win a Premier League and Champions League double? What will you all be saying to each other after Arsene Wenger raises the top two trophies high above his head, knocks them both together, looks out triumphantly at the crowd full of his worst critics and doubters and screams "I WAS right all along and you were ALL wrong! Ha ha, in your faces! O Ye of little faith!" I do not know about the rest of you Gooners but I am simply going to do the sensible thing and save the game, switch off the Playstation and get back to reality.

It is my firmly held and honest opinion that until Arsene Wenger can get his squad to start fighting and defending like champions then all of our collective hopes and dreams of silverware are only going to be realised in the virtual realms of Championship Manager and Pro Evolution Soccer video games. As our annual end of season collapse rumbled ever onwards and downwards with our recent defeat at Bolton, I was left wondering just how much longer can Arsene Wenger and his coaching staff continue to put out sides that concede more goals than all of their main rivals and for the penny to finally drop and Wenger to realise that conceding an average of more than a goal a game means we are never going to see Arsenal win another major trophy under him.

This season, Arsenal have conceded 36 goals in 35 league games which makes them equal with Fulham, who also have conceded 36 goals in 35 league games. Under Arsene Wenger, Arsenal have now officially gone from being lauded as the best defensive side in the country under George Graham to having the same defensive quality of Fulham F.C. (who currently sit in 9th place but were 14th prior to last weekend's fixtures). It could even be argued that Fulham actually have better defenders and goalkeepers than Arsenal currently do because Fulham do not keep the ball nearly as well as our beloved Arsenal which means that their defence is constantly under even more pressure than our joke of a defence is.

Arsenal have gone backwards defensively under Arsene Wenger and if you are one of the few people reading this and thinking, "Now that can't be true, can it?" then you should consider the fact that Arsenal conceded only 31 goals in the whole of the 2007/08 season and still finished 4 points behind Manchester United, who conceded only 22 goals that season. All of the great managers in the history of the game have known that defending is, indeed, half of the beautiful game (and therefore cannot be ignored) and that a top goalkeeper or centre half should be treated with the same respect as a fantastic winger or sublime centre forward.

When the great Brian Clough was asked which position was the most important on a football pitch he responded, "Centre-forwards, centre-halves and goalkeepers, in that order, or reverse order." Being a prolific goalscorer himself in his playing days, Clough obviously had a bias in favour of the centre forward position but even he recognised the supreme importance of the defensive unit and he even went on to say, "I've never fathomed why top keepers don't cost as much as top strikers. A save can be as important as a goal but a mistake by a keeper is often more costly than a miss by his team mate at the other end of the field." Brian Clough realised that you had to build a successful team by starting from the very back and every successful manager since him (including Wenger himself at one time) has pretty much realised the same thing; so, why oh why then does modern day Wenger seem to think he can get away with neglecting what is essentially 50% of the game?

Now, Arsene Wenger seems only to see defending as the ugly side of 'The Beautiful Game'. He clearly believes that it should not be worried about too much because of his naively held belief that his team will always - without fail - score at least one more goal than the opposition will manage. Well, Arsene, when you concede an average of more than a goal a game then you are asking an awful lot of your offensive players aren't you? He is effectively telling his players that they better score at least two goals if they want to win a game because, we are all expecting, I repeat, WE ARE ALL EXPECTING the team to concede at some point during the game. Maybe I am a being a little bit nostalgic but when I watched Graham's Famous Back Five, I did not expect them to concede a goal and when they did, it was – almost without fail – a goal deservedly earned by the opposition rather than gifted to them by our own players.

Ian Wright might have scored all of our goals at one time but even his exploits in front of goal were eclipsed by the unbelievable heroics of the defensive unit behind him. When Wrighty put us in front you could bet both your house and your children's inheritance that Adams & Co were not going to throw the game away; it was going to take something very special or lucky to beat them. Under Wenger, we throw games away from winning positions and it is all starting to remind me of Kevin Keegan and his gung-ho all out attacking style of football that never did - and never will win - trophies because it leaves you far too exposed at the back. Keegan held the same naive belief as Wenger now holds that conceding goals does not matter as long as your team scores more than the opposition, therefore, breeding a culture wherein conceding a goal is not seen as the cardinal sin that a Graham, Clough, Ferguson or Mourinho would see it as.

Maybe our poor defending would not be highlighted so much if we were actually the best goalscoring side in the Premier league but we are not; Manchester united are. Manchester United have scored 4 more goals than us this season but have conceded four goals less than us in the process of doing so. Last seasons champions, Chelsea, scored 103 goals and conceded 32 and this is the level that Arsenal should be aiming for. Although this season, Chelsea and Manchester United may have not reached the dizzy heights of previous seasons, we would be naive to think that they will not both be back even stronger next season with the likes of Liverpool, Manchester City and Tottenham following hot on their heels. If Arsene really wants to insist on winning the league by purely outscoring the opposition maybe he should think about signing a proven goalscorer to compliment the injury prone Van Persie and score 25 goals a season, otherwise, he will surely have to bite the bullet and get a few top class defenders in?

Then again, maybe, I am just bloody ungrateful and should be pleased that we have the same defensive record as Fulham,; our top goalscorer has only 15 league goals so far; and our manager is correctly described as "tactically naive" by Sam Allardyce... of all the great managers out there on Planet Football.

Maybe I should just remember that I have never worked even half a day in football in my life and should get back to playing my silly little video games but then again, if even I can see the problems with this team then why can't Arsene Wenger or is he so confused by greed and hungry for our money that he refuses to acknowledge the truth?

The truth, Arsene, is that Eboue, Denilson, Almunia, Diaby, Fabianski, Bendtner, Ro-sicky (sorry Tom,) Squillaci and the lazy, unmotivated, overpaid Arshavin are not fit to wear the shirt of Arsenal F.C; that the team is sent out to play in the same formation and with same 'tactics' every single game, which has become way too predictable and we are rubbish at the back and lack a 25 goal a season striker.

7th May 2011

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6918925,00.html

Schwarzer could extend deal

Catch Fulham v Liverpool on Sky Sports HD1

By Pete O'Rourke - Follow me on Twitter @skysportspeteo.   

Last Updated: May 7, 2011 6:34pm

Schwarzer: Looking to play into his forties after resolving his future at Fulham

Mark Schwarzer admits he could extend his contract at Fulham and that he has no regrets about trying to force through a move to Arsenal.

The Australian's outstanding performances in last season's Europa League put him on the radar of Gunners boss Arsene Wenger, who had two bids for the Australian rejected last summer.

Schwarzer was desperate to play Champions League football and handed in a transfer request in order to force the Cottagers into letting him go.

The move failed, though, with new manager Mark Hughes adamant that he remain at the club to play a key role in making Fulham a top-10 side.

Schwarzer reluctantly backed down and has excelled ever since he signed a new contract in December.

He recently described his failure to move to the Emirates Stadium as a "huge let-down", but he is now content at Craven Cottage and insists that everyone at the club understood why he was determined to leave.

"For me it was always about trying to fulfil an ambition," Schwarzer said.

"As a player, a professional, and a footballer I always want to better myself. I've still got the hunger and desire to play at the highest level and I want to try and explore those avenues, it's only natural.

Opportunity

"There was the opportunity to play Champions League football and contest for major trophies.

"I understood the club's reasons for not wanting to let me go and they understood why I wanted to explore the avenue of going to a club like Arsenal.

"I signed for another 18 months, so it's another season after this one. I'm 38 now so it's potentially my last port of call."

Mark Schwarzer on his future

Quotes of the week

"In the end I'm delighted to have stayed at Fulham and by signing a new contract, I hope I have reiterated that.

"I signed for another 18 months, so it's another season after this one. I'm 38 now so it's potentially my last port of call."

The stopper will be 39 in October and he has revealed that he has an option of extending the deal by one more year, meaning he would become one of only a few selected keepers to have played in the Premier League in their forties.

He admits that seeing former Fulham stopper Van der Sar compete at the highest level past his 40th birthday has made him seriously consider about playing on at Craven Cottage until the end of the 2012-13 season.

Example

"Someone like Van der Sar is a great example to follow and someone I admire a lot," added Schwarzer.

"To see someone of his age still playing at that level gives me inspiration and determination to try and get somewhere near that.

"At the moment I feel great, I feel as fit as I have ever done and I'm working as hard as ever. As long as my performances continue to be good enough at this level then I'll continue to play.

"I'll continue as long as I can. There's an option in my contract for another year so I've got my sights set on that, and in the back of my mind I'm looking at helping Australia qualify for the World Cup as well."

White Noise

http://football-talk.co.uk/21621/transfer-news-15m-defender-in-striker-out/

TRANSFER NEWS: £15m Defender In, Striker Out?

By DBSFootball  Published: 7th May 2011

The latest transfer rumours surrounding Arsenal are Wenger's attempts to bring Phil Jagielka to the Emirates to add some experience and solidity to his defence which has long been called for at Arsenal. The other suggested move in the papers is with Arsenal's Danish striker, Nicklas Bendtner, who Mark Hughes will apparently attempt to bring to Fulham this summer.

Phil Jagielka is a player who Arsenal have been linked to for a while. There were reports last summer that Arsenal had made several bids for the 28 year-old Everton defender, one of which was £15 million. Wenger has maintained his interest in the former Sheffield United defender, and some sources suggest there has even been a new bid offered by Arsenal.

Arsenal have missed their rock at the back this season, Thomas Vermaelen, through injury and Wenger understands that depth and experience are key to success in a long, hard season, it is just a question of how much money he would be willing to spend, which has often been problematic, as he tends to avoid big money transfers in the fear of putting Arsenal in a difficult financial situation.

An Everton source said: "We have had major interest in Jagielka ahead of the next transfer window. But it will take a huge offer for the club to let him leave." No doubt it would take a big offer because Jagielka only signed a new 4 year deal with Everton in March of this year.

Meanwhile, the Mail reports that Bendtner wants to find a team who will offer him first team football, and with Fulham reportedly seeking two strikers to add to their squad in the summer, it looks a good match for both parties. Fulham had a £5 million bid for the 23 year-old turned down in January of this year, with Arsenal looking for Fulham to match their £6.5 million valuation of the striker who has scored 2 League goals in 15 games this season.

Bendtner, who spent a season on loan at Birmingham in the past, is apparently "open to offers", with Everton and Blackburn also interested in his signature, though it seems highly unlikely that a confident player with his ambition would want to transfer to sides battling relegation.

Tell me what you think!

White Noise

http://www.football365.com/report/0,17033,8718_6918413,00.html

Foxes finish season in style

Posted 07/05/11 15:08

Leicester finished the Championship season in style as they claimed an entertaining 4-2 victory over Ipswich at the Walkers Stadium. First-half goals from Andy King, Ayegbeni Yakubu and Yuki Abe gave the hosts a healthy lead which they almost let slip in a goal-crazy four-minute spell in the second half, which included a Diomansy Kamara strike to finally wrap up the win.

For the visitors, who responded with second-half goals from Grant Leadbitter and Connor Wickham, it was another reminder of how much progress they will need to make in order to match the success of East Anglian rivals Norwich, who are heading for the Premier League.

Both sides had designs on the play-offs back in August but sacked their respective managers after disappointing starts, and although Paul Jewell and Sven-Goran Eriksson have each led a revival of sorts, the clubs fell some way short of their pre-season expectations.

Despite their poor run of form going into the game - just one win from their previous five matches - the hosts started in positive fashion and could have taken the lead inside the first two minutes but David Norris dragged his shot just wide from inside the box.

The Tractor Boys' first meaningful foray into their opponents' half led to a speculative long-range effort from Lee Martin, which Angelo Miguel Vitor deflected behind for a corner.

Eriksson's side came under further pressure when Wickham hammered in a low shot which Weale parried before denying Jason Scotland on the rebound.

And having weathered the storm, the Foxes seized the advantage in the 26th minute when Paul Gallagher whipped in an inch-perfect cross for King to nod home his 16th goal of the season.

City were immediately forced into a change as Kamara replaced the injured Darius Vassell.

The substitution galvanised the home side, with Kamara latching onto a through-ball - but he miscontrolled at the crucial moment as a one-on-one chance went begging.

Just before the break the home side doubled their lead when Abe's searching cross found King, whose header smashed off the post but fell kindly for Yakubu to fire in.

And there was still time for Abe to bag his first City goal, curling home a fantastic effort from 20 yards after receiving a defence-splitting pass from King.

Town signalled their intent early in the second half as Wickham rifled in a low shot which forced Weale into a fantastic save.

The pace and tempo so evident in Leicester's first-half display was conspicuous by its absence after the interval, with Jewell's side being afforded more time and space to create chances of their own.

And they were gifted the chance to gain a foothold in the game thanks to Jeffrey Bruma's inexplicable handball in the box, which allowed Leadbitter to score from the spot in the 69th minute.

Patrick Van Aanholt then showed his charitable side a minute later as he gifted possession to Wickham, who advanced into the area before reducing the deficit to a single goal.

However, the Dutchman made amends as he provided the cross which led to Kamara's 82nd-minute goal, which put the seal on a thrilling victory for the hosts.

A game which had almost everything should have seen a red card thrown into the mix late on, but Leadbitter's ill-timed challenge on Yakubu was only deemed worthy of a booking.

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6918447,00.html

Dalla Valle back at Fulham

Cherries decide striker unlikely to figure in the play-offs

Last Updated: May 7, 2011 3:33pm

Bournemouth have allowed teenage striker Lauri Dalla Valle to return to Fulham from his loan spell at Dean Court.

Dalla Valle initially joined the Cherries on a month-long loan in early March and he scored twice in his opening three appearances for the club.

The deal was extended until the end of the season, but the 19-year-old has only made one substitute's appearance in the past month.

Due to players returning to fitness in Lee Bradbury's squad, the club have decided to let Dalla Valle go back to Fulham.

With Bournemouth guaranteed a play-off spot, Bradbury has deemed that Dalla Valle will not figure in his plans as the club seek to win promotion.

White Noise

http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2011/05/07/al-fayed-set-to-join-stars-at-cannes-film-festival/

Al Fayed set to join stars at Cannes Film Festival

By Rob Sharp

Saturday, 7 May 2011 at 8:19 am

Brad Pitt, Carla Bruni-Sarkozy and Robert De Niro are set to wander down the Cannes Film Festival's red carpet next week. The latest addition to that glittering roll-call of talent, it is fair to say, is somewhat less internationally celebrated.

Former Harrods owner Mohammed Al Fayed is set to travel to Cannes next Friday to launch Unlawful Killing, a documentary directed and produced by the comedian Keith Allen. The movie is set to be screened to an exclusive audience of distributors and journalists on the Croisette and focuses on the circumstances surrounding the 1997 death of Diana, Princess of Wales.

"Keith met with Mohammed in 2004 to discuss a project and they got talking," said a spokesperson for the film, who said that Mr Al Fayed has also contributed funds to the project. "He is interviewed for the film. But it's not his project. It's Keith's project".
The movie tells the story of the 2007 inquest into Diana's death. Mr Al Fayed told the inquest in 1998 that he believed Diana and his son Dodi were murdered by British establishment figures including former prime minister Tony Blair. The ultimate verdict of the inquest was "unlawful killing through negligent driving," from which the film takes its title.

The Egpytian businessman is expected to field questions from journalists on the controversial project, though it is unclear whether his participation will extend to any publicity stunts for which the festival has become renowned.  In 2007 comedian Jerry Seinfeld donned a bee costume before flying down a zip line on to the Cannes beach to promote the animation Bee Movie, for which he provided voice-over work.

Hollywood gossip website TMZ reported earlier this week that Unlawful Killing claims to have a recording of Diana speaking on the telephone, a year prior to her death. "If you're a strong woman in my environment, you're a problem," Diana is reported to have said. "No time for hobbies, keeping alive is one of them." TMZ also reports that the film accuses a doctor, who attended the crash, of waiting too long to remove Diana from the wreckage. It claims that the film has been banned in Britain.

The movie was finished on 9 March, after three years of research and production. Allen researched the movie by "covertly" attending the inquest alongside journalists reporting on it for the mainstream media.

The film's spokesperson said the movie showed a "cover up" after Diana's death. "It shows how vital evidence was hidden from public scrutiny, how the royal family were exempted from giving evidence and how journalists, particularly those working for the British media, systematically misreported what was happening," the spokesperson added.

Last month Mr Al Fayed, who is also the owner of Fulham Football Club, told the club's fans they should "go to hell" if they did not appreciate a new statue of Michael Jackson which he commissioned. The statue, now standing outside the club's West London Craven Cottage stadium, attracted widespread derision upon its unveiling.