watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Europa Fair Play Announcement May Be Today

Started by White Noise, May 10, 2011, 07:30:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

It was on 10th May last year that the announcement about which teams had qualified for The Europa League through the fair play mechanism was made.

Hopefully there may be some good news to temper last nights gut punch.

PS - There was a lot of talk on the messagebaords and Twitter last night about the 5 yellow cards damaging our push for the Europa League through fair play. My understanding is that only games to the end of April were included in the calculations - therefore last nights cards were meaningless. Am I right?

finnster01

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

sipwell

Quote from: finnster01 on May 10, 2011, 07:41:08 AM
You are right. End of April was cut-over.

Perhaps a reason why they collected so many. They were happy they finally could assault the referee and their opponent! Have you seen Baird's reaction? He made a truly bad challenge on his opponent (one out of ineptitude more than anything else), the referee blew his whistle and Baird said "fcuk off" at least three times...
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

TonyGilroy

Quote from: sipwell on May 10, 2011, 07:49:41 AM
[ the referee blew his whistle and Baird said "fcuk off" at least three times...

Probably because he got it wrong the first two times.

Blingo

Quote from: TonyGilroy on May 10, 2011, 08:19:02 AM
Quote from: sipwell on May 10, 2011, 07:49:41 AM
[ the referee blew his whistle and Baird said "fcuk off" at least three times...

Probably because he got it wrong the first two times.

You made me laugh you silly sod.

White Noise

finnster01

Quote from: White Noise on May 10, 2011, 10:16:52 AM
Can someone keep an eye on this because this is where the announcement will be made -

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/news/index.html

Here is the one from last year -

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/socialresponsibility/respect/news/newsid=1486635.html

And here is the most recent word on it -

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/socialresponsibility/respect/news/newsid=1586457.html

Is this the table for the domestic side of the equation? -

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/stats/fairplay/_/league/eng.1/barclays-premier-league?cc=5739
Mr WN,
This is the offcial one for the domestic fair play. However, it hasn't been updated since March 20th:
http://www.premierleague.com/page/FairPlayTable/0,,12306,00.html

White Noise

Thanks Finnster.

From 20th March up to and including our game on 30th April we played 5 games, winning 3, drawing 1 and losing 1. I mention the results because the follwoing key shows how you collect points during each game -

R/Y = Red & Yellow Cards - Maximum 10 pts per Match (Red 3 pts, Yellow 1 pt)
P/P = Positive Play - Maximum 10 pts per Match
R/O = Respect Towards Opponent - Maximum 7 pts per Match
R/R = Respect Towards Referee - Maximum 7 pts per Match
B/O = Behaviour of Officials - Maximum 6 pts per Match

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/April/FairPlayUpdate.aspx#ixzz1LwcEoYzl

In those 5 games we only collected 5 yellow cards and in twio of them no cards at all. I think we will have scored well in the other four categories - with the possible exception of the Wolves game.

Given that fact I find it hard to believe any of the teams below us will have overtaken us in that time.

Therefore hopefully the only thing we need to worry about is all the cards copped by Spurs etc in Europe since the begining of January.

Airfix

We'd better get in this year because, with Stoke in next year's EL, England won't be placing highly...

elgreenio

closest to us (assuming Tottenham get 5th spot) is Blackpool, they lost 3 and drew 2 of the matches in that time, with 6 yellows, no reds, and one game receiving no cards. Though hopefully a bit of relegation tension meant some poor behaviour and lower scoring in the other categories.  :bump:
touch my camera through the fence

watfordwhite

BAD News: England came 7th.  :dead horse:

Sweden have won UEFA's Respect Fair Play rankings, based on all UEFA competition matches played at both club and national team levels, from 1 May 2009 to 30 April 2010.

Winners Sweden, second-placed Denmark and third-placed Finland will each be granted one additional slot in the first qualifying round of the 2010/11 UEFA Europa League.

For the final rankings, only associations having played a minimum of 32 matches are taken into account. This cut-off point is calculated by dividing the total number of UEFA games by the number of national associations.

The Fair Play assessments are made by the official UEFA delegates on criteria such as positive play, respect of the opponent, respect of the referee, behaviour of the crowd and team officials, as well as cautions and dismissals.

The three associations that are allocated an additional UEFA Europa League berth will be entitled to enter the club that has won the domestic top-division fair play competition. If this club has already qualified for a UEFA competition, the second-placed team in the domestic fair play standings may be entered and, should they also have already qualified, the third-placed side would be considered and so forth.

JBH

Quote from: watfordwhite on May 10, 2011, 01:23:22 PM

Sweden have won UEFA's Respect Fair Play rankings, based on all UEFA competition matches played at both club and national team levels, from 1 May 2009 to 30 April 2010.

Winners Sweden, second-placed Denmark and third-placed Finland will each be granted one additional slot in the first qualifying round of the 2010/11 UEFA Europa League.

For the final rankings, only associations having played a minimum of 32 matches are taken into account. This cut-off point is calculated by dividing the total number of UEFA games by the number of national associations.

The Fair Play assessments are made by the official UEFA delegates on criteria such as positive play, respect of the opponent, respect of the referee, behaviour of the crowd and team officials, as well as cautions and dismissals.

The three associations that are allocated an additional UEFA Europa League berth will be entitled to enter the club that has won the domestic top-division fair play competition. If this club has already qualified for a UEFA competition, the second-placed team in the domestic fair play standings may be entered and, should they also have already qualified, the third-placed side would be considered and so forth.

I THINK THAT THIS IS LAST YEARS RESULTS

Airfix

Quote from: JBH on May 10, 2011, 01:26:54 PM

It is.

The last intermediate was published on 17th January and ran until 31st December - here: http://en.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/uefaorg/General/01/58/64/67/1586467_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Based on "17 days to collate and publish", I reckon we'll not hear before next week.

Pata

FYI to determine domestic fair play winners, end-of-season tables are taken.
Thus, last night's yellow cards count.
I'm fat, I'm Scouse

Schnabs

I posted the following a couple of weeks ago in Craven Cottage Newsround, but it was buried late in a match recap, and I'm not sure if many read it.  Anyway, here's a first time FoF post.  Great forum by the way.

The UEFA Fair Play Rankings for the top three countries use match data tallied through 30 April 2011 so presumably we will find out England's ranking relatively soon. The Intermediate Rankings from UEFA.com

http://en.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/uefaorg/General/01/58/64/67/1586467_DOWNLOAD.pdf

that show England as second are tallied through 31 December 2010. I have no idea how things will shape up, but at least I take comfort from the fact that we seem to be well ahead of a scrum of countries with scores close to third place Sweden (and Norway in commanding lead over us).
That's my eyeball interpretation because I did not do any statistical analysis of those numbers, but I can show you the intermediate fair play rankings from 2009/10 and the final rankings from last year. The 2009/10 intermediate rankings are at

http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/uefa/KeyTopics/94/78/16/947816_DOWNLOAD.pdf

and the final rankings are at

http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/uefaorg/Respect/01/48/66/48/1486648_DOWNLOAD.pdf

So what does that show us? (not a lot) Maybe it gives us some hope though. ~0.05 points is a fairly large gap between us and 3rd place. Of those countries at the top of the rankings last year the biggest climber was Norway which increased its point total 0.039 points. The three final winners did not alter their point total a great deal, and in fact, Finland, the third place country, actually declined its aggregate score 0.012 points. Which brings us to the unsettling other finding–in order for Finland to drop points and still gain a ranking, England had to lose a number of points–0.056 to be precise (if I'm doing the math right). Which means, we can expect England to probably drop some points because the same factors which play into our dropping of points during the same time period last year (high pressure CPL matches, maybe) may cause similar negative pressures this year, but we should take solace from the fact that a ~0.05 aggregate point difference does seem to be fairly significant, and it would take more than one other country to have a run of "good luck" to surpass our 2nd place ranking and drop us to 4th place.

Another unrelated issue will be how well FFC does in regards to other EPL teams internally. Those tallies don't end on 30 April 2011. Not sure when exactly. In fact, I seem to remember the FA fudging the numbers at the close of 2008 so that Man City received England's fair play UEFA Cup spot over us because...

Anyway, I wouldn't put much stock in my back-of-the-envelope calculations, but I personally am very hopeful for Europa glory next year.

Schnabs

Here's a scary thought:  Since Stoke and Brum are headed to the Europa league, the EPL's sixth place club will not.  Sixth may be Tottenham which have a decent shot at surpassing us in the domestic fair play rankings.  Wouldn't that be something awful.

HatterDon

Quote from: JBH on May 10, 2011, 01:26:54 PM

Yeah, the giveaway as the reference to the 2010-2011 Europa League  :011:
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

White Noise

Welcome to FoF Schnabs. Good to have you on here.

I had not seen the information stating that Premier League scoring ran on past 30th April but it is now being mentioned as fact. Some people are saying that it runs down to the end of the season so that every team has played the same number of games. That would suggest it will be the end of this month before we know if we are in?

finnster01

Quote from: White Noise on May 11, 2011, 07:17:37 AM
Welcome to FoF Schnabs. Good to have you on here.

I had not seen the information stating that Premier League scoring ran on past 30th April but it is now being mentioned as fact. Some people are saying that it runs down to the end of the season so that every team has played the same number of games. That would suggest it will be the end of this month before we know if we are in?
Me neither. I assumed it was the same as the UEFA one.

That could be very dodgy now given the Liverpool game.