watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (15.05.11)

Started by White Noise, May 14, 2011, 11:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Tottenham are involved in an exciting race – to finish sixth in the league.

It would seem they don't want to get into the Europa League. They appear to see it as an ­annoyance, whereas Liverpool see it as a new ­challenge.

There's no doubt playing in the Europa League means a lot of games and the competition can be a distraction, yet it may also bring in extra revenue.

Liverpool appear to be hinting they will mix up teams with youngsters, squad players and seniors so it does not distract them from their league programme.

Next season will be a big one for manager Kenny Dalglish.

A new three-year contract, money to spend and exciting times ahead.

Given the right sort of player recruitment, they ­definitely have the manager to help them ­challenge for the top four again.

But my wish for the Europa League is that it reverts to the old UEFA Cup-type format and goes knockout again.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/columnists/mark-lawrenson/Mark-Lawrenson-Why-I-think-Manchester-United-will-be-even-harder-to-beat-next-year-and-Liverpool-wont-mind-Europa-League-exertions-article735253.html#ixzz1MOpql7GT

White Noise

http://www.toffeeweb.com/season/10-11/comment/fan/17786.html

From my seat: Academy League Final

By Paul Marshall :  14/05/2011 :   Comments (2) :

As a fan of Ken Buckley's match reports, thought I'd have a first stab at one (and nick his article title while I'm at it)!

As a London blue and with nothing better to do on a Friday night after work I rocked up to the cottage hoping for more of an entertaining game than the 0-0 that I'd witnessed the senior team mange back in September. Good level of support for the blues, I reckon on par with the Fulham lot and interesting to be all mixed in with the Fulham fans in the Haynes Stand! I was enjoying the obligatory pre match beer and sausage roll in the stand when Bill Kenwright walked past; had a quick word with him and good to see him showing support to the lads!

Never having seen the U18s before I was interested to see how some of the more recognisable names like Garbutt, Bidwell and McAleny performed. The lads lined up 4-3-3, with Forrester leading the line. I must admit most of the first half was quite hard work to watch. Not too many clear-cut chances, with Fulham happy to sit back and let their monster centre backs mop most of our attacks up and then try and counter us on the break. Best player on the park in the first half was our no.8 (from the names on the official website I reckon this was Donegan) who showed some great drive going forward and the ability to skip past a few challenges. Forrester was quite isolated at times as Thomas and McAleny struggled to get the ball in good areas of the pitch. Our no. 6 Barrow had a huge throw on him (ala Delap) and this was used on countless occasions to try and pick out Forrester and look for a knock-down. Although this gave us a few half-chances, I was disappointed the lads used the long throw every time and didn't mix it up a bit and use a short throw and play to feet!

Second half and we'd moved seats to get out of the way of a post, but unfortunately we moved right in front of some Fulham fans who basically gave a rubbish running commentary of the events unfolding. Anyway, the game progressed in a similar vain, with a few half chances for both sides, but no keeper really having to work that hard. Our defence looked very solid, Dier (the English lad we've signed on loan I think from Sporting Lisbon) and Bidwell keeping it steady, and the fullbacks dealing well with a skilful looking Fulham forward line. The right back, Browning was quick and strong, but unfortunately seems to the distribution skills of Hibbo in his early days; let's hope he gets better with age like our Tony! Bidwell the left back has great left peg on him, put in some good corners.

Anyway, the action finally started with about 15 minutes left! The first incident of real controversy was a mistake across our back four, with the Fulham no. 9 poking the ball past Bidwell through on goal, and with no full-backs to cover, it looked like Bidwell dragged him to the ground, but lucky days the ref waved play on! My first reaction was that he was last man and was a lucky boy to stay on the pitch! This sparked the crowd into life and the blues looked shaken, so much so it only took a few minutes for Fulham to take the lead as a break led to the ball rolling across the box for their no.8 to rifle the ball into the top corner; quality finish.

But the blues reaction was class! Barrow was removed in favour of a Crouchy lookalike Waring; and what an inspired move it was as it gave Forrester (who'd worked his socks off) some more support to pressure the two big Fulham centre backs. We won a free-kick wide right, the keeper didn't deal with the initial ball, and Thomas was in the right place to shoot low into the empty net! Now we were all over them, Fulham were 2nd to every ball and you knew who the winners were going to be. A great move down the left opened up their defence and a peach of a cross found Waring who nodded a cracker of a header back past the keeper! The lads looked like they enjoyed that celebration, and I enjoyed rubbing it into the Fulham fans sat behind me! To be fair to Fulham, they had a golden chance to equalise in extra time when they carved open our defence, only for one of their subs to blaze over.

Overall, a great performance by the lads, especially the character shown to come back into the game after going down 1-0 with only 15 minutes to go. Hopefully some of them can develop into decent first team players, there's certainly the potential there. Although the game didn't spark into life until the second half, I'm glad I went along and saw the lads playing with pride and delivering some silverware this season! And that's why I love being a blue!

White Noise

Fulham face unfair wait to hear Europa League future

Published 07:00 15/05/11

By Declan Taylor

Fulham's pre-season plans have been left in tatters by their possible qualification for the Europa League.

Mark Hughes' men are the highest-placed Premier League side in the Fair Play League and are on course for a place in next season's competition. But Fulham will not find out whether they have secured their spot until the final day of the current campaign.

Should they qualify, Hughes will have just four days between the players returning from their summer break and the first Europa League qualifying clash. Hughes said: "We've got plenty of pre-season plans but can't commit to them.

"We can hold certain things for a time but the longer it goes on, we might lose the opportunities.

"We will wait and see. We'll have to move quickly."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-have-been-forced-to-wait-to-find-out-if-they-qualify-for-Europa-League-through-the-Fair-Play-League-article735662.html#ixzz1MP2nPakq

White Noise

Finish High

Sunday 15th May 2011

Fulham travel to St. Andrews this afternoon for a testing encounter against Birmingham City and Mark Hughes is looking for a repeat performance of Fulham's recent impressive away win against Sunderland today in the penultimate match of the 2010/11 season.

Following Fulham's recent 3-0 away win over Sunderland, Hughes believes his Team can add to their points tally at St. Andrews and consolidate their position in the top ten of the Barclays Premier League.

""It's important to finish in the top ten," Hughes told fulhamfc.com. "We want to win the last two games and it's important to hit the targets we've set ourselves. We've still got the opportunity to do that and we want to be consistently viewed as a top ten Premier League team.

"On paper it's always a difficult fixture against Birmingham City – they're a very accomplished at home and their record, more often than not, is good.

"It's difficult to get maximum points there and in recent times they've been very difficult to overcome. Due to the circumstances (of their League position] there maybe a little bit of apprehension in their game and we have to use that to our advantage.

"If there's any tension in their play then we have to exploit that like we did against Sunderland. They [Sunderland] looked a little bit tentative at times and we exploited that and ran away outright winners. If we can get in a similar situation we've got the quality to be able to win the game without a doubt.

"The key to it is probably who scores the first goal – if there is a goal. If we score first it will be very difficult for them but if they score that may calm them down and help them to see the game out. You've got to give yourself an opportunity to win the game and that means you have to get a foothold in the match and remain defensively sound – that gives you a platform to try and win it."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/May/BirminghamPreview.aspx#ixzz1MPtKd4lH

White Noise

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/05/15/simulations/

Simulations

Filed under: Analysis — rich @ 8:52 am

Interesting:

This seems to have come remarkably close.  As a reminder, I took Fulham's last four seasons, weighted them so recent seasons were more important than older ones, and added Mark Hughes' managerial record for good measure.  This gave me an idea of the proportion of wins, draws and losses we might expect.

Then I simulated 1,000 seasons to cover natural variations. 47 points was the most common outcome, and with 45 on the board and two games left that seems likely to be about right.  Might be worth doing this for the whole division next season.

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/competition/2011/may/15/competition-tickets-fulham-arsenal-premier-league

Win a pair of tickets to Fulham v Arsenal

We've got two top tickets to the season finale at Craven Cottage to give away

guardian.co.uk, Sunday 15 May 2011 12.11 BST 

Can you work out who the mystery silhouetted player is using nothing but our fiendish quoted clue?

Photograph: Ross Kinnaird/Getty Images

We have teamed up with Barclays, sponsors of the Barclays Premier League, to offer two tickets to the Fulham v Arsenal season finale on Sunday 22 May. To enter, tell us which combatative midfielder called time on his career after 631 professional appearances, saying: "I'd rather blow up than fizzle out; I don't want to fade away and go down the leagues."

You've got until 4pm on Tuesday to enter and we'll pick a winner on Wednesday morning, but don't worry if you're not successful – you can always net a pair by visiting your nearest Barclays ATM. Match tickets are up for grabs every 90 minutes, every day, throughout the season. To be in with a chance of winning, simply request a receipt from the ATM or visit www.barclaysticketoffice.com.

Enter now
Email address:
First name:
Surname:
choose United Kingdom United States Afghanistan Albania Algeria American Samoa Andorra Angola Anguilla Antarctica Antigua, Barbuda Argentina Armenia Australia Austria Azerbaijan Bahamas Bahrain Bangladesh Barbados Belarus Belgium Belize Benin Bermuda Bhutan Bolivia Bosnia-Herzegovina Botswana Brazil British Indian Ocean Territory British Virgin Islands Brunei Bulgaria Burkina Faso Burma Burundi Cambodia Cameroon Canada Canary Islands Cape Verde Cayman Islands Central Africa Chad Chile China Christmas Island Cocos Island Colombia Comoros Congo Cook Islands Costa Rica Croatia Cuba Cyprus Czech Republic Democratic Republic of Congo Denmark Djibouti Dominica Dominican Republic East Timor Ecuador Egypt El Salvador Equatorial Guinea Eritrea Estonia Ethiopia FYRO Macedonia Falkland Islands Faroe Islands Fiji Finland France Gabon Gambia Georgia Germany Ghana Gibraltar Greece Greenland Grenada Guadeloupe Guam Guatemala Guinea Guinea-Bissau Guyana Haiti Honduras Hong Kong Hungary Iceland India Indonesia Iran Iraq Ireland Israel Italy Ivory Coast Jamaica Japan Jordan Kazachstan Kenya Kiribati Kuwait Kyrgyzstan Laos Latvia Lebanon Lesotho Liberia Libya Liechtenstein Lithuania Luxembourg Madagascar Malawi Malaysia Maldives Mali Malta Marshall Islands Martinique Mauritania Mauritius Mexico Micronesia Moldova Monaco Mongolia Montserrat Morocco Mozambique Namibia Nauru Nepal Netherlands New Caledonia New Zealand Nicaragua Niger Nigeria Niue Norfolk Island North Korea Norway Oman Pakistan Palau Palestine National Authority Panama Papua New Guinea Paraguay Peru Philippines Pitcairn Islands Poland Polynesia Portugal Puerto Rico Qatar Reunion Romania Russia Rwanda Saint Kitts and Nevis Saint Lucia Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Samoa San Marino Sao Tome Saudi Arabia Senegal Serbia and Montenegro Seychelles Sierra Leone Singapore Slovakia Slovenia Solomon Islands Somalia South Africa South Korea Spain Sri Lanka St. Helena Sudan Suriname Swaziland Sweden Switzerland Syria Tadjikistan Taiwan Tanzania Thailand Togo Tokelau Tonga Trinidad and Tobago Tunisia Turkey Turkmenistan Tuvalu Uganda Ukraine United Arab Emirates Uruguay Uzbekistan Vanuatu Vatican City State Venezuela Vietnam Virgin Islands, British Virgin Islands, US Western Sahara Yemen Zambia Zimbabwe What is your contact telephone number?
What football team do you support, if any?
Who is the mystery player?
Tick this box if you'd like to be kept up to date with offers and developments from Guardian News and Media Limited.
Tick this box if you'd like to receive messages from organisations screened by Guardian News and Media Limited.
Emails from Guardian News & Media may contain offers and information from us and our carefully selected partners. If you do not wish to hear from us in this way then please follow the "unsubscribe" link in any of the emails that we send to you. I accept the terms and conditions set out below.

Terms and conditions

1. If you work for Guardian News & Media Limited, or for Barclays, or the Premier League, or for Fulham or Arsenal for that matter, I wouldn't bother. Entrants must be 18 or over and residents in the UK.
2. Complete your personal details on the online form and your details will be entered into a free prize draw. Only one entry per person.
3. Entries must be made personally. Entries made through agents/third parties are invalid. Entry indicates acceptance of terms and conditions.
4. Prize is one pair of tickets to Fulham v Arsenal on Sunday 22 May 2011. Travel to and from the venue is not included, nor is accommodation.
5. No purchase necessary to enter. Fill in the online application form with the necessary details, name mobile number.
6. All entries must be received by 4pm on 17 May 2011.
7. Winners will be notified before 3pm on 18 May 2011 by telephone or email. Prize winners' details can be obtained by writing to Guardian Sport at Guardian News & Media Limited, Kings Place, 90 York Way, London N1 9GU, UK. Stamped addressed envelope required.
8. Winners will be the first entry drawn at random from all qualifying entries by an independent judge on 17 May 2011. The judge's decision is final.
9. There is no cash or other alternative to these prizes in whole or in part. Prize is not transferable in whole or in part. Prize is not for resale.
10. The winners will be required to participate in all required publicity, including any presentation ceremony.
11. The decision of the promoter in all matters is final and binding and no correspondence will be entered into.
12. The promoter is not responsible for any third party acts or omissions.
13. We cannot guarantee that the event will be free from disruptions, failings or cancellations. We are not liable for such disruptions, failings or cancellations unless they are caused by our negligence. Any requests for refunds or compensation arising from them should be sent to the operator of the event. We can provide you with their details on request.
14. The promoter reserves the right to cancel or amend this promotion due to events or circumstances arising beyond its control.
15. Prize tickets are subject to the terms and conditions listed above.
16. GNM accepts no responsibility for any damage, loss, liabilities, injury or disappointment incurred or suffered by you as a result of entering the Competition or accepting the prize. GNM further disclaims liability for any injury or damage to your or any other person's computer relating to or resulting from participation in or downloading any materials in connection with the Competition. Nothing shall exclude the liability of GNM for death or personal injury as a result of either party's negligence.
17. GNM reserves the right at any time and from time to time to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, this Competition with or without prior notice due to reasons outside its control.
18. The Competition will be governed by English law. Promoter: Guardian News & Media Limited, Kings Place, 90 York Way, London N1 9GU, UK