watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (17.05.11)

Started by White Noise, May 17, 2011, 06:30:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/8515960/England-allocated-extra-Europa-League-place-by-Uefa-based-on-fair-play.html

Fulham likely to feature in Europa League after Fifa allocate England extra place based on fair play

England has been granted an additional place in next season's Europa League via the Uefa Respect Fair Play ranking, the governing body has confirmed this morning.

Good behaviour: Uefa granted the English Premier League an extra place for next season Europa League Photo: AP

By Telegraph staff and agencies 9:56AM BST 16 May 2011

6 Comments

As expected, an extra English team will appear in the competition's first qualifying round next season, with Fulham seeming the likely beneficiaries with one game of the Premier League season remaining.

The Uefa ranking was headed by Norway, with England and third-placed Sweden also gaining additional spots.

Fulham currently head the Premier League's domestic fair play table and are the only team not to have had a player sent off in the competition this season.

Relegation-threatened Blackpool appear their only realistic challengers, their 46 yellow cards and two reds giving them 52 disciplinary points for the season – just two outside the total amassed by the Fulham's half-century of bookings.

Blackpool belatedly applied for a Uefa licence to play in European football, though manager Ian Holloway was not enthusiastic about the prospect when made aware of it.

"If this Europe thing does happen then all I'll be thinking about is how short our summer is going to be because the qualifying stages for the Europa League begin at the start of July," he said last month.

"The season doesn't end until 22nd May so we will get about a month off, tops. When you consider we didn't really have much of a break last year because of the play-offs that really isn't good."

Tom

Looks like another European vacation!!!!  :yay:  :wine:  :beer:
Fulham for life!

White Noise

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-23950272-extra-europa-league-place-for-english-team.do

England claim extra Euro spot but Hangeland raises concerns

David Smith

16 May 2011

Both Tottenham and Fulham could represent London in the Europa League next season after UEFA today confirmed that English football will receive an extra place in the competition.

UEFA award bonus spots to the top three countries in their Respect Fair Play rankings, and in the final table England have finished second behind Norway but ahead of Sweden.

England's place will go to the leading team in the Premier League's own Fair Play table who have not qualified for Europe and that slot is held by Fulham, followed by Spurs and Blackpool.

Spurs could still qualify for the competition by finishing fifth in the top flight, which would mean starting their European campaign on August 18.

However, England's entrants via the Fair Play table will kick off in the first qualifying round, which begins on June 30. That is six weeks before the next Premier League season and Fulham's Brede Hangeland is worried what effect such as early start to the campaign could have on his team.

"You can't ask teams to play in the middle of the summer, at a time when the players should be on the beach resting," said the defender. "I have a few internationals as well over the summer so I'm looking at 14 days off, which is not a lot.

"My personal opinion is that it is bad, if you get that Europa League spot, that you have to start playing games so early.

"The people running football need to look at the demands on the players sooner rather than later. It is all very good playing games week in, week out, especially at the end of the season, but you need to recover. We're stretching it too far."

The Premier League's Fair Play table was last updated after Saturday April 30. It is only published monthly because it takes time to gather the marks for the five counting categories: red and yellow cards, positive play, respect towards opponents, respect towards the referee, and the behaviour of club officials. So the final table will not appear until the middle of next week.

However, it is understood Blackpool have too many points to make up and are almost certainly out of the running, leaving Fulham and Spurs to contest the Fair Play place. That contest will be irrelevant if, on Sunday, Spurs beat Birmingham at White Hart Lane to secure fifth in the League.

Following a 2-0 win at Birmingham yesterday, Fulham will finish seventh in the top flight if they beat Arsenal on Sunday and Everton lose to Chelsea.

Fulham were languishing in the relegation zone at Christmas but have been on a great run of form since then, marred only by their 5‑2 defeat at home to Liverpool last week.

Hangeland, who scored both goals yesterday, said: "I remember when we lost to West Ham on Boxing Day. From that point it's been a different kind of season and we've really done well. Given the position we were in, everyone has done a good job."

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_6935748,00.html

Prem eyes on Mexican

Fulham linked with move for English-born Pedroza

By Pete O'Rourke   

Last Updated: May 16, 2011 1:34pm

Skysports.com understands Mexican ace Antonio Pedroza Whitham is set for talks with a Premier League club about a move to England.

The 20-year-old, who was recently linked with a call-up to the England set-up due to his parentage, has been earning rave reviews follwing a number impressive displays for Mexican side Jaguares.

Pedroza was born in Chester to an English mother, but he has lived in Mexico since he was a young child.

The FA had been tipped off about his potential availability, but Pedroza has pledged his allegiance to Mexico.

Pedroza has been linked with a move to England in the past after spending time training with Arsenal and Chelsea.

Now another Premier League club, believed to be Fulham, are ready to offer the exciting striker a chance to win a move to England.

Italian giants Roma are also keen on Pedroza, but Fulham are hoping to steal a march in the race to sign the highly-rated youngster by inviting him over to London for talks.

White Noise

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/football-in-brief-fulham-set-fair-for-europa-league-place-2285049.html

Football in Brief: Fulham set fair for Europa League place

Tuesday, 17 May 2011

Fulham are in pole position to gain a place in Europe next season through Uefa's Respect Fair Play ranking. Uefa announced that three countries have earned the fair play spots in the Europa League next season – Norway, England and Sweden.

Mark Hughes' side look the most likely beneficiaries for the English berth as they are in second spot in the Premier League's fair play table behind Chelsea, who have already qualified for the Champions League.

White Noise

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/blackpool/8517677/Ian-Holloways-antics-could-rob-Blackpool-of-Europa-League-spot.html

Ian Holloway's antics could rob Blackpool of Europa League spot

Fulham discovered on Monday that they are likely to qualify for Europe through the 'fair-play' league, but it could have been Blackpool were it not for manager Ian Holloway's attitude towards match officials.

Arguing the toss: Ian Holloway berating of match officials has cost his Blackpool side a potential place in Europe Photo: ACTION IMAGES

By Jeremy Wilson 10:23PM BST 16 May 2011

Uefa has announced that England, Norway and Sweden will each receive one extra place in the qualifying rounds of next season's Europa League after being judged the three fairest leagues in Europe.

That place will go to the club who are highest in the Premier League's fair-play table and have not already qualified for Europe, currently Fulham.

It was widely assumed that the fair-play table is calculated solely on the conduct of the players but, of the five criteria that are assessed, the touchline behaviour of club officials is also scored by the match delegate.

This relates specifically to the conduct of the manager and his coaching staff towards the fourth official, the referee and his two assistants. On this criteria, Holloway's Blackpool have had the worst score in the entire Premier League.

And, according to the most recent fair-play table (for matches until the end of April), Blackpool would have been above Fulham and in pole position to qualify for next season's Europa League if Holloway and his staff had matched the score of Mark Hughes and his coaching team.

Even so, the relatively good discipline of the Blackpool players has still put them fifth in the fair-play table below only Chelsea, Fulham, Tottenham and Manchester United.

With Chelsea and Manchester United sure of Champions League football and Tottenham likely to qualify for the Europa League by finishing fifth, Fulham stand to clinch that extra place.

However, if Tottenham slip to sixth, they could still earn the fair-play place. The final positions in the fair-play league will not be clear until after the final round of matches on Sunday.

As well as the overall number of cards and the touchline behaviour of officials, clubs are scored on 'positive play', 'respect towards opponent' and 'respect towards referee'.

The various categories are weighted, with the number of cards and the assessment of a team's positive play (sportsmanship is rewarded) counting the most.

The club who enter at that stage would be scheduled to play their first Europa League match on June 30. They would have to select a team largely of academy players or significantly shorten the summer holiday of first-teamers. They would face 23 matches to win the Europa League and also need to play eight times just to reach the group phase.

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp has described that scenario as "a nightmare" but Fulham have made it clear that they would approach the competition positively.

Hughes believes that there is a potential advantage in preparing the team for the start of the season, although the demands of the competition would stretch his squad.

"In the recent history of the club, we have had a fantastic adventure and it would be good to replicate that," said Hughes. "If we are in it, we would try and win it."

White Noise

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2011/05/full_steam_ahead.php

Full Steam Ahead

Posted by Phil Mison 14 hours, 34 minutes ago

Back to back away wins without conceding, a berth in the Europa League campaign beckoning, and Fulham starting favourites to beat the Arsenal...What's going on?

Big pat on the back to the boys for doing the business at Birmingham. Have you ever seen a more abject performance from such a shambolic side? The Blues look utterly demoralised and can count themselves very lucky not to be in the bottom three this morning. As Hughes said, his only criticism was our too casual approach to finishing after being totally dominant from the very first minute. It could indeed have been a cricket score.

Four changes, and a less than 100% Bobby, hindered Fulham not a jot. Greening deputised superbly as Simon's absence had no impact. How much better he looks playing in his best position out wide, some great crosses and neat and tidy throughout. And let me put this to you as a proposed back four for next season : Aaron RB, Hangeland, Senderos, Baird LB.

All praise to the legendary Brede, he and the whole side bounced back in style from that Liverpool grilling. As I wrote last week, you judge the quality of a side by the way they react to a bad result. Brede is now our 2nd top scorer behind Clint - who'd ever have predicted that last August? Strange things do indeed happen in this game, as I also wrote. 6 days on and a flying Liverpool are reduced to looking quite ordinary v Spurs, while I could probably have played in goal Sunday and kept a clean sheet. Birmingham play like that at Spurs and they are going down if Wigan or Blackpool can pull something sensational out of the bag. I recall only WBA and Norwich from a few seasons back being so utterly outclassed - both times when the Whites hit 6. How we didn't hit that mark again at St. Andrews is mystifying. Demps especially was profligate with his final ball all afternoon ,while AJ and Eidur will rarely get such a golden opportunity to be on the scoresheet.

Which intriguingly leads one to question if we'll be seeing either in a white shirt next season. Hughes says he's only interested in improving on what we already have. If that's the case, then where's the logic in offering EG a contract and offloading Zollie? The Icelander's lunge that resulted in a yellow was the action of a bonehead, and the more time I see of him on the pitch, the more convinced I am that Eidur Gudjohnsen - deadly as he once was - has no more goals in his tank.

As to AJ, he looked sharp for sure. An all too casual Clint should have put away a simple chance in the very first minute thanks to AJ's vision. But once again, and facing a paper thin rearguard, Andy never threatened a goal for all his running. Here too, one senses the spiral is only downward from here on. Off to the Hawthorns with him!

As to the issue of the five bookings - all culprits predictable in Clint (infuriatingly casual), Danny, Salcido (still careless and/or cavalier at times), AJ (ever lippy) and Eidur (what was he thinking as Hleb sprinted away?). I was tearing my hair out at the needless indiscipline when of course it hit me...this had to be a deliberate ploy to avoid a curtailed summer break and the dreaded slog of the Europa League qualifying rounds! And plenty of others had come to the same conclusion once I got round to reviewing the usual forums. Well, that strategy has been blown out of the water with today's UEFA decision to award England an extra place from the Fair Play quota. The media have all agreed it's Fulham's again, like it or not.

In all honesty, you can see how Sparky might be ambivalent about this 'honour.'. Clint's already been reported saying he is overdue a few weeks off, having given his all to the Team USA cause in the past two summers. Now the whole squad face reporting back after barely one month's respite, with the first Europa Cup qualifier scheduled for June 30th! Sorry UEFA, but it's summer madness. We might look on enviously at the enormous sums players drag in each month, but they are human beings after all - putting their bodies on the line every time they play. It's a physical game, it's played with intensity. Why should these 'workers' have to accept less annual leave than your average factory hand?

Implications for the club of another run in the Europa are many. Of course, and despite some petulant mutterings from 'Arry on the topic, no board is going to spurn the opportunity for additional revenue, TV coverage etc. It's playing on the European stage for heaven's sake - isn't that what footballers always go on about? I'm sure Woy didn't cut his cloth on the basis of us achieving a 19 game run to that Hamburg final, but even if we weren't to make deep inroads into the final stages in 2012, Mark is still going to need a deep enough squad to handle a heavy league and cup load in the run up to Christmas.

I'm not sure UEFA have got it right yet with this new overblown continental competition. It is as ever the law of diminishing returns in pursuit of greed and self-aggrandisement. And the umbrella of what are now termed 'European associations' is a lot more bloated than when I studied geography. I'd be interested to know what fans think to flying the flag for Fulham again so soon.

Yes, I did journey to Hamburg - via car, plane and train - but afterwards I dozed fitfully at the Hauptbahnhof, shivering and starving, before heading straight home. My buddies with family members in tow took the expensive club charter flights to Turin, Wolfsburg and Hamburg (twice), but that's a pretty joyless experience too. Early departure and straight back post match in the small hours to London. Not many have the time and resources to make these ties into memorable and pleasant 2-3 day mini vacations.

To finish, some thoughts on West Ham's plight. Sacking Grant at Wigan before the team has even got back to London shows a phenomenal lack of class by the West Ham board. But we've come to expect that from Gold and Sullivan, with the gobby Karren in tow. Upton Park has indeed been the setting for football as soap opera now for quite some time. A new format for 'Eastenders.' Only player power allowed Avram the dignity of sharing the trip home with the team. The three above crave publicity, too many of the Hammers problems were played out in public, while Gold's vanity and vacuous mutterings take the biscuit.

It is entirely wrong to blame West Ham's demotion on the manager. The side were not good enough a year ago when they finished 17th. Was this not a warning sign last summer? There are big players at West Ham who have performed poorly this season. Carlton Cole springs to mind. Others, like Green and Upson are over-rated. Is the club well run internally? Judge for yourself. They last turned a small profit in 2006, since when they have been haemorrhaging money. Relegation will put them £100 million pounds into debt, while the side who are bottom run the 6th highest salary budget in the EPL. Who is responsible for that - Avram Grant or the board of directors?

Crikey, I only wish I could run my own small business on such largesse from the banks. Two disreputable former business partners connive to drag me into court and only hefty sums to m' learned friends preserve my reputation. But faced with a short-term squeeze on credit do you think the bank offered me any leeway? Oh no. Football...it's a funny old business. Look now at West Ham, with the albatross around their neck of moving to the Olympic Stadium after 2012 (more borrowings!) and contemplating visits from the likes of Doncaster and Barnsley. Then recall that our own rich benefactor, for all his foibles and idiosyncracies, never involves himself directly with the running of the team. That at Fulham, is left strictly to the professionals.

I'm now going to spend all week dreaming of a finish in 7th place...what an achievement that would be.

Twitter@fulhamphil

White Noise

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/05/16/odds-and-ends-this-and-that/

Odds and Ends, This and That

Filed under: General — timmyg @ 3:24 pm

I'm going to put on my hackneyed newspaper columnist hat and write a whole bunch of random, non-sequiter drivel. Enjoy!

•Say, yesterday's gutless display in a must-win situation by Birmingham City reminded me of this particular match three years ago-

http://en.vidivodo.com/144278/fulham-2-_-birmingham-0#videoalt

•West Ham are down. Huzzah. Should have happened four years ago.

•Anybody else pining for a Swansea/Cardiff City Playoff Final? The thought of two Welsh teams playing in the English Second Division at the English national stadium for the right to ascend to the English Premier League makes me smile.

•Congratulations to storied Ajax in winning the Eredivisie for the first time since the 2003-04 season. Crazy to think it's been that long.

to the mighty Associazione Sportiva Cittadella, F.C. Crotone, and A.S. Gubbio 1910. Let this be a warning sign to any owner as to what can happen if you choose to not let the inmates run the asylum. You need the egomaniacal players more than the egomaniacal players need you.

•Need another indictment of the SPL's imbalance? No, it has nothing to do with Celtic and Rangers. After losing to Dundee United yesterday, Hearts completed their season by winning once since March 19 and just three times since February 12 (equaling three wins in 14). Yet they still managed to finish in third place.

•For all their talk about the winning the treble back in February, Arsenal will drop to fourth if City beat Stoke tomorrow. If City win at Bolton on Sunday, then no CL AQ for the Gunners. For a club that is notorious for "collapsing", this year has to rank up there. Sunday's match at Fulham is pivotal.

•Speaking of us, a win over Arsenal and a Everton loss to Chelsea means Mark Hughes will have tied Roy Hodgson's 7th place finish (our best ever) two years ago.
Not only were we in the relegation zone (18th) after that 3-1 Boxing Day disaster to West Ham, we were a point off bottom. On Boxing Day 2008, we sat 8th.
Shouldn't Hughes be considered an honorable mention for Manager of the Year then?

White Noise

Young Ambassadors

Monday 16th May 2011

After their thirteen game unbeaten run was ended by Everton in the Final of the Academy League last Friday evening, Kit Symons' U18 side travel to Mauritius this week for an ambassadorial trip that is set to be a deeply rewarding few days for Fulham's young players.

The Academy Team will be playing, coaching and meeting the local community, thanks to the generosity of Mauritius' Long Beach Hotel|, who have kindly offered to host the Team on their trip, as Symons explained to fulhamfc.com.

"We'll be playing against the Mauritius national team and against one of the local sides out there," Symons told fulhamfc.com. "We'll also be doing some coaching in the local community in one of the fishing villages. It's a fully funded trip that will be a great experience for our players.

"We want to put the Fulham name as far and wide as possible, we'll be going to the British consulate there, we'll be meeting the President of the country as we'll as coaching the kids. We're proud of what we've got here at Fulham and we want to everyone to know about it far and wide.

"Well be staying at a top hotel, the Long Beach Hotel|. They've very kindly put the boys up there and it looks absolutely out of this world. Although it's a working trip and we'll have games to win over there – it's not the worst place in the world to be going, that's for sure.

"There'll be a little bit of down time and the players deserve it because they've been fantastic throughout the season – it will be a good way to finish off the season."

White Noise

Chairman's Third Shirt Offer

Monday 16th May 2011

The Chairman's limited edition boxed third shirt has been reduced to just half price for one week only and at the amazing price of just £49.99.

Own this one of a kind commemorative limited edition boxed third shirt| celebrating Fulham's 10 Premier League Years.

Prior to the purchase of Fulham FC by Chairman Mohamed Al Fayed back in 1997, fans could have never of dreamed of a consecutive decade in the top flight but those dreams have come true.

To celebrate you can order this never-to-be repeated commemorative boxed shirt. Only 500 are being made, each including the Chairman's signature embroidered in gold and numbered 001-500, along with a certificate of authenticity. Unfortunately, fans cannot select a specific number, the boxed shirt will be selected at random.

At such a fantastic price these boxes are sure to fly out over the next few days so don't miss out on your chance to own a fantastic limited edition Boxed third shirt| which normally retails at £99.99!

*Offer ends 23rd May

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/May/Chairmansboxoffer.aspx#ixzz1MaNdbB2y

nevzter

Quote from: White Noise on May 17, 2011, 06:40:46 AM

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2011/05/full_steam_ahead.php

Full Steam Ahead

Posted by Phil Mison 14 hours, 34 minutes ago

Back to back away wins without conceding, a berth in the Europa League campaign beckoning, and Fulham starting favourites to beat the Arsenal...What's going on?

Big pat on the back to the boys for doing the business at Birmingham. Have you ever seen a more abject performance from such a shambolic side? The Blues look utterly demoralised and can count themselves very lucky not to be in the bottom three this morning. As Hughes said, his only criticism was our too casual approach to finishing after being totally dominant from the very first minute. It could indeed have been a cricket score.

Four changes, and a less than 100% Bobby, hindered Fulham not a jot. Greening deputised superbly as Simon's absence had no impact. How much better he looks playing in his best position out wide, some great crosses and neat and tidy throughout. And let me put this to you as a proposed back four for next season : Aaron RB, Hangeland, Senderos, Baird LB.

All praise to the legendary Brede, he and the whole side bounced back in style from that Liverpool grilling. As I wrote last week, you judge the quality of a side by the way they react to a bad result. Brede is now our 2nd top scorer behind Clint - who'd ever have predicted that last August? Strange things do indeed happen in this game, as I also wrote. 6 days on and a flying Liverpool are reduced to looking quite ordinary v Spurs, while I could probably have played in goal Sunday and kept a clean sheet. Birmingham play like that at Spurs and they are going down if Wigan or Blackpool can pull something sensational out of the bag. I recall only WBA and Norwich from a few seasons back being so utterly outclassed - both times when the Whites hit 6. How we didn't hit that mark again at St. Andrews is mystifying. Demps especially was profligate with his final ball all afternoon ,while AJ and Eidur will rarely get such a golden opportunity to be on the scoresheet.

Which intriguingly leads one to question if we'll be seeing either in a white shirt next season. Hughes says he's only interested in improving on what we already have. If that's the case, then where's the logic in offering EG a contract and offloading Zollie? The Icelander's lunge that resulted in a yellow was the action of a bonehead, and the more time I see of him on the pitch, the more convinced I am that Eidur Gudjohnsen - deadly as he once was - has no more goals in his tank.

As to AJ, he looked sharp for sure. An all too casual Clint should have put away a simple chance in the very first minute thanks to AJ's vision. But once again, and facing a paper thin rearguard, Andy never threatened a goal for all his running. Here too, one senses the spiral is only downward from here on. Off to the Hawthorns with him!

As to the issue of the five bookings - all culprits predictable in Clint (infuriatingly casual), Danny, Salcido (still careless and/or cavalier at times), AJ (ever lippy) and Eidur (what was he thinking as Hleb sprinted away?). I was tearing my hair out at the needless indiscipline when of course it hit me...this had to be a deliberate ploy to avoid a curtailed summer break and the dreaded slog of the Europa League qualifying rounds! And plenty of others had come to the same conclusion once I got round to reviewing the usual forums. Well, that strategy has been blown out of the water with today's UEFA decision to award England an extra place from the Fair Play quota. The media have all agreed it's Fulham's again, like it or not.

In all honesty, you can see how Sparky might be ambivalent about this 'honour.'. Clint's already been reported saying he is overdue a few weeks off, having given his all to the Team USA cause in the past two summers. Now the whole squad face reporting back after barely one month's respite, with the first Europa Cup qualifier scheduled for June 30th! Sorry UEFA, but it's summer madness. We might look on enviously at the enormous sums players drag in each month, but they are human beings after all - putting their bodies on the line every time they play. It's a physical game, it's played with intensity. Why should these 'workers' have to accept less annual leave than your average factory hand?

Implications for the club of another run in the Europa are many. Of course, and despite some petulant mutterings from 'Arry on the topic, no board is going to spurn the opportunity for additional revenue, TV coverage etc. It's playing on the European stage for heaven's sake - isn't that what footballers always go on about? I'm sure Woy didn't cut his cloth on the basis of us achieving a 19 game run to that Hamburg final, but even if we weren't to make deep inroads into the final stages in 2012, Mark is still going to need a deep enough squad to handle a heavy league and cup load in the run up to Christmas.

I'm not sure UEFA have got it right yet with this new overblown continental competition. It is as ever the law of diminishing returns in pursuit of greed and self-aggrandisement. And the umbrella of what are now termed 'European associations' is a lot more bloated than when I studied geography. I'd be interested to know what fans think to flying the flag for Fulham again so soon.

Yes, I did journey to Hamburg - via car, plane and train - but afterwards I dozed fitfully at the Hauptbahnhof, shivering and starving, before heading straight home. My buddies with family members in tow took the expensive club charter flights to Turin, Wolfsburg and Hamburg (twice), but that's a pretty joyless experience too. Early departure and straight back post match in the small hours to London. Not many have the time and resources to make these ties into memorable and pleasant 2-3 day mini vacations.

To finish, some thoughts on West Ham's plight. Sacking Grant at Wigan before the team has even got back to London shows a phenomenal lack of class by the West Ham board. But we've come to expect that from Gold and Sullivan, with the gobby Karren in tow. Upton Park has indeed been the setting for football as soap opera now for quite some time. A new format for 'Eastenders.' Only player power allowed Avram the dignity of sharing the trip home with the team. The three above crave publicity, too many of the Hammers problems were played out in public, while Gold's vanity and vacuous mutterings take the biscuit.

It is entirely wrong to blame West Ham's demotion on the manager. The side were not good enough a year ago when they finished 17th. Was this not a warning sign last summer? There are big players at West Ham who have performed poorly this season. Carlton Cole springs to mind. Others, like Green and Upson are over-rated. Is the club well run internally? Judge for yourself. They last turned a small profit in 2006, since when they have been haemorrhaging money. Relegation will put them £100 million pounds into debt, while the side who are bottom run the 6th highest salary budget in the EPL. Who is responsible for that - Avram Grant or the board of directors?

Crikey, I only wish I could run my own small business on such largesse from the banks. Two disreputable former business partners connive to drag me into court and only hefty sums to m' learned friends preserve my reputation. But faced with a short-term squeeze on credit do you think the bank offered me any leeway? Oh no. Football...it's a funny old business. Look now at West Ham, with the albatross around their neck of moving to the Olympic Stadium after 2012 (more borrowings!) and contemplating visits from the likes of Doncaster and Barnsley. Then recall that our own rich benefactor, for all his foibles and idiosyncracies, never involves himself directly with the running of the team. That at Fulham, is left strictly to the professionals.

I'm now going to spend all week dreaming of a finish in 7th place...what an achievement that would be.

Twitter@fulhamphil

Great thoughts and thanks to the author and White Noise for sharing.
"To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable."

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6935553,00.html

Hangeland happy with double

Cottagers stopper thrilled to inspire Blues win

By Kent Hedlundh.  

Last Updated: May 16, 2011 11:28am

Hangeland: Happy with double against Birmingham

Fulham centre-back Brede Hangeland was delighted to score his first ever double in Sunday's win over Birmingham.

The Norway international netted both goals to seal a 2-0 victory at St Andrews, taking his individual tally in the Premier League this season to six.

The triumph keeps the Cottagers firmly on course for a top-10 finish, and 29-year-old Hangeland was thrilled to be the force behind it.

"I am very pleased to have scored two goals," the defender told Stavanger Aftenblad. "That doesn't happen every day.

"We played a good match and fully deserved the win."

After a rocky start to the season, a strong run of form in the second half of the campaign has seen Fulham turn things around.

Hangeland feels finishing in the top half of the table would be a fitting way to crown what has been an impressive comeback.

"We have had a good second half to the season," he added. "If we do manage to finish in the top 10, it has been a solid display by the side."

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/05/16/2489175/west-brom-boss-roy-hodgson-interested-in-reuniting-with

West Brom boss Roy Hodgson interested in reuniting with Fulham's Andy Johnson - report

The Baggies manager wants to link up with the striker, who he brought to Craven Cottage for £10.5 million in 2008, once more and sees him as a partner for Peter Odemwingie

16 May 2011 14:27:00

West Bromwich Albion manager Roy Hodgson is reportedly interested in bringing Fulham striker Andy Johnson to the Hawthorns this summer.

Hodgson is looking for a striker to complement top scorer Peter Odemwingie and sees Johnson as the perfect fit for his team to improve on their good showing this season in the Premier League.

The former Fulham boss knows Johnson well from his days at Craven Cottage where he signed him for an estimated club record £10.5 million in August 2008.

According to the Daily Mirror, the forward is considering his future at the west London club having lost his regular starting role due to good form of duo Moussa Dembele and Bobby Zamora.

It is thought that an offer of £4m will be enough to convince Mark Hughes to part with Johnson as he seeks to trim his squad before he can improve it in the summer.

White Noise

http://www.sportingintelligence.com/2011/05/16/fulham-favourites-for-europa-cup-place-blackpool-lagging-because-of-holloways-chat-160502/

Fulham favourites for Europa League slot, Blackpool out because of Holloway's chat

By Sportingintelligence

16 May 2011

An English team will play in the Europa League next season through Uefa's Fair Play scheme, with Fulham in pole position because Blackpool's record has been marred by Ian Holloway's constant chatter at the fourth official during matches.

Uefa have awarded three places into the qualifying rounds of the 2011-12 Europa League (starting 30 June) to the three nations with the fairest play this season: Norway, England and Sweden. See press release below.

The English team – not otherwise qualified for Europe – who finish highest in the Premier League's Fair Play table (linked here) will get the English berth.

A Premier League match delegate at each game rates fair play by five criteria: red and yellow cards (RY); positive play (PP) with sportsmanship rewarded and cynicism marked down; respect towards opponents (RO); respect towards the referee (RR); and the behaviour of club officials (BO), namely the manager and coaches during play.

These numbers are filed to Premier League HQ in confidential reports. The latest figures show Blackpool's PP rating is better than most and their respect towards opponents and referees is also up there with the best. But their BO is bad – no other club have been rated lower. And sources say that's down to Holloway's constant chatter during matches.

If Blackpool were rated higher on BO, they'd quite probably be in Europe next season, although Holloway has already made clear he thinks June is an early start and hasn't exactly sounded enthusiastic about the Europa League. Hence Fulham will get the spot, probably, although Tottenham are also in contention if they miss qualification by missing fifth place.

White Noise

Fulham land June kick-off as UEFA award England extra Europa League spot

By Laura Williamson

Last updated at 1:25 AM on 17th May 2011

Fulham could play in the Europa League next season, but the club's campaign would have to kick off on June 30 - just 39 days after this Premier League season ends.

Norway, England and Sweden have each gained an extra place through UEFA's Fair Play Ranking and Mark Hughes's side are likely to benefit.

All smiles: Fulham are set to play in the Europa League next season - but it would mean a very early start to their season

Fulham are second in the Premier League's Fair Play table behind Chelsea - who have already qualified for the Champions League - with one match remaining.

Last year's Europa League runners-up are the only side not to have a player sent off this term, although Hughes was ordered to the stands at Wolves last month.

But Fulham would have to play eight matches - three two-legged qualifying rounds and a play-off home and away - to reach the group stage.

Back in business: But Fulham's season would kick-off just 39 days after the present one

Starting so early would also cause havoc with the club's pre-season plans, as yet unconfirmed.

Fulham would also be likely to contest the initial tie without some of their internationals, such as Clint Dempsey and Brede Hangeland, who require at least a three-week break.

Hughes said: 'I think it feels like a chore because of where we are this season - it's been a long one.

Agony: Fulham reached the final last season, but were beaten by Atletico Madrid

'You feel there's a point close to the end of the season where you are looking for a break so you can come back refreshed.

'It is a big demand but we would face it if we had to. We can't say we do not want it.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1387739/Fulham-land-June-kick-UEFA-award-England-extra-Europa-League-spot.html#ixzz1MaPOYVWd

White Noise

http://www.grandoldteam.com/news/reserves-youth-ladies/2011/may/16/everton-under-18s-nil-satis-nisi-optimum

Everton Under-18's - Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Written by alan ball on Mon 16th May 11, 19:21

Everton Under-18s beat Fulham at Craven Cottage on Friday evening in the final of the FA Premier Academy League competition to be crowned the title of best youth team in the country.

As ever, our youth team reporter has detailed an account of how the lads performed;

Fulham Line Up: Jorenen, Marquez-Sanchez, Smith, Toure ©, Arturworrey, Brister , (Gameiro) 64 Minkwitz, Trotta, (Peniket) 87 Frei. Harris

Everton Line Up Davies, Browning, Garbutt, Bidwell©, Dier, Barrow, (Waring) 76 McAleney, Donegan, Kinsella, Forrester , Thomas. Subs, Roberts(GK), Higgins, Molyneux, Waring, O'brien

Match Officials Ref Mr. C Fitch Assistants Mr. S Kay & Mr. G Read 4th Official Mr. P Harris

The sun was going down behind the Riverside stand as the River Thames runs at the back of it, all spectators were sat in the Johnny Haynes stand including a certain Mr Bill Kenwright watching with interest. The floodlights were on as the teams entered the field of play to contest the National academy final. A week ago Everton managed to win the league by a point at the expense of Liverpool who failed to capitalise on beating Wolves in their final game.

Everton were again without Hallam Hope and John Lundstram who were returning back from international duty with England and the injured Johann Hammer who was injured with knee ligaments in the semi Final against Aston Villa on Monday

Jake Bidwell partnerd Eric Dier in defence while Luke Garbutt took the left back role as Fulham kicked off attacking the Putney end and Everton played with a 4-5-1-formation.

Fulham who won the toss to host the final made the first attack on 3 minutes when Kerim Frei went on a good run but came to nothing but 60 seconds later Everton's number 8 Donegan fancied a shot but went wide and troubled nobody. Both teams seemed to settle down well and keep possession without testing either keeper. The Everton defence looked a little unsure when Josh Pritchard ran down the middle of the field towards the Everton goal unchallenged but again the attack dwindled away thankfully. Everton again retaliated when Gerrard Kinsella played the ball out to Thomas on the right who knocked a nice cross to Garbutt and forced Joronen in the Fulham goal into a good save.

Fulham again pressed as this game was very much an entertaining end to end affair and this time Minkwitz forced his way to the visitors goal and won a corner which Dier cleared with a very strong and masterful header, so the first ten minutes a fine game of football was there to see and delighted
the two sets of supporters.

Fulham made a lovely move with Alex Brister playing a nice ball to Marcello Trotta who turned Garbutt only for the captain Bidwell to make a lovely timed block tackle and saved Everton from trouble. The Cottagers seemed confident when Toure's won a corner pn 13 minutes which was taken by Brister the ball was played to Ronny Minkwitz who hit the ball into the goalkeeper Davies's arms which he took with ease.

Donegan now picks the ball up in his own half sprays the ball to Thomas who puts a good effort towards goal but the host's defender makes a block to force a corner but Fulham clear the threat of everton pressure.

On 20 minutes there was I felt a bit of bad Sportsmanship from the Fulham forward Trotta who seemed to gesture to Mr Fitch the referee to book Donegan for holding him back on the half way line but the ref declined the gesture and let it go., 2 minutes later the busy Donegan ran and made a chance for Kinsella who snapped at the ball and sent it over the bar without troubling the keeper and a mirror image from Frei a minute later at the other end

Approaching the 30 minute mark Everton were playing some delightful football as were Fulham and the impressive Garbutt crossed a ball from the left to Thomas in front of the goal who was obviously not expecting it who had a chance to head home, the ball missed the post by a fraction and that was the nearest there was to goal at this stage

Donegan and Kinsella made a nice passing move going forward but Fulham were equal to the opposition by cancelling them out

The first half was drawing to a close but Everton still felt there was work to be done when again Thomas had a chance from a Garbutt throw and on 34 minutes Forrester's pace took hin towards goal only for the linesman to flag for offside. Everton wer now looking the better side only by a nargin but Browning retrieved a ball as Fulham decided to let the visitors know they were still in the game. Everton's last chance of the half fell for Kinsella who shot was just wide from a long thro from Jordan Barrow. The 4th official indicated there was an additional minute to be played but the teams went off at half time stalemate and very much in the balance and an interesting second half awaits.

Half Time Fulham 0 Everton 0

Everton looked more brighter and hungry as the second half commenced as they stepped up the pace and on 55 minutes McAleny passed the ball to to Kinsella who with Donegan showed some nice training ground touches back to Mc Aleny whose effort went close past the left hand post which brought sighs from the crowd.

Everton were without doubt looking the better now of the teams and if there was a winner it was them and now Thomas and McAleney changed sides and take a different approach. Dier hit a long ball forward to Thomas but was too strong for him and the ball went out of play for a Fulham throw.
63 minutes Everton got a corner from the right and Garbutt's delivery made the goalkeeper come off his line to punch but got hurt in the process and was attended to by his physio.

Forrester had the crowd excites now when he was near to a goal and a goalmouth scramble, Fulham cleared again the danger as Everton's dominance was evident. Another Everton attack created by Donegan plays a great ball forward only for Kinsella and Thomas to confuse each other and another chance goes begging.

With 16 minutes remaining and looking like a stalemate Eric Dier plays a back pass completely out of character and the Fulham forward intercepts only to be challenged by the courageous Bidwell as a penalty appeal once again was raised and again the ref waved it away and Dier looked relieved for what could have been a costly error late on but literally seconds later the home side had the ball in the net and their noses in front when a neat interchange of passes gave Minkwitz a sight of goal who was thorough and precise with his delivery and 1-0.

This was totally unfair on Everton who had not taken their chances would have been in front themselves. An immediate change was made when Barrow went off and was replaced by lanky George Waring and knowing they had to go for it with time running out.

The Cottagers lead was short lived when 6 minutes later when a deep cross from the right hand side fell to Thomas who levelled the contest 1-1 and get in.3 Minutes later McAleny tries his luck searching for the winner with an effort which the goalkeeper saves. Extra time was looming but on 85 minutes Adam Thomas who got the blues level hit's a left footed cross to Waring who rises above the Fulham defence to put the blues in front with a header and bring wild cheers from the Everton contingent in the Johnny Haynes stand.

Fulham brought off Trotta and replaced him with Peniket and desperate to save the game. The 4th official Mr Harris held up his board indicating there was an additional 4 minutes and could Everton hang on to the lead was anyone's guess with Fulham pressing and forcing a couple of corners. The Fulham bench were urging the goalkeeper to go forward but desperation told as the chances they made went wasteful.

The ref decided enough was enough and the cheers from the Everton team and supporters could have been heard at the other side of West London's neighbours Chelsea.

The host's were graceful in defeat and collected their losers medals as Everton were presented with their trophy received by Jake Bidwell then posed for photographs while celebrating this great victory. Bidwell and the team brought the cup only to share their delight with their families and fans as they proudly showed us their medals and I was the lucky recipient of Jake Bidwell's captain's armband

I thought it would be unfair to give anyone a man of the match award even though there were some great individual performances but the whole team collectively get the award for not allowing their heads to drop when they could so easily have done when Fulham went in front.

I headed straight home once the party went into the dressing room to land home at 2.10am and get some sleep before my next adventure at the Hawthorns the following day

Read more: http://www.grandoldteam.com/news/reserves-youth-ladies/2011/may/16/everton-under-18s-nil-satis-nisi-optimum#ixzz1MaQlTQDR

White Noise

http://accuscore.com/game-forecast-previews/soccer/gameid,374/

Arsenal @ Fulham 5/22/2011

AccuScore.com 

AccuScore.com, the leader in sports forecasting, has simulated this game thousands of times one play at a time and the game forecast below is based on these simulations.

This is a very close match-up. In 10,000 simulations Arsenal won 37.5%, Fulham won 35.8% and there was a 26.7% chance of a draw. Overall, the average simulation score is Arsenal 1.5 to Fulham 1.5. In simulation wins, Arsenal averages 13.9 shots and 4.6 shots on goal. They average 2.5 goals in simulated victories vs just 0.7 in simulation losses. When Fulham wins they average 13.1 shots and 5.6 shots on goal. They average 2.4 goals in simulated victories vs just 0.7 in simulation losses.

The leading goal scorer for Arsenal is Robin Van Persie with a 44% chance of scoring 1 or more goals. When he has at least one goal Arsenal has a 54% chance to win. The leading goal scorer for Fulham is Clint Dempsey with a 28% chance of scoring 1 or more goals. When he has at least one goal Fulham has a 57% chance to win.

LINES: Arsenal -107 --- Fulham +316 --- DRAW +280 --- TEAM RECORDS (W-L-D-Pts) Arsenal Road Record: 8-4-6-30, Road Record in \'09-10: 8-7-4-28, Fulham Home Record: 8-4-6-30, Home Record in \'09-10: 11-5-3-36

White Noise

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/west-brom-will-retain-top-players-says-hodgson-1636381

West Brom will retain top players says Hodgson

16.05.11 | Andrew Slevison

After a brilliant finish to the season, West Bromwich Albion have assured Premier League survival and in the process have attracted plenty of interest from rival clubs.

Some of the Baggies' key players, such as top goalscorer Peter Odemwingie, have emerged as transfer targets for other clubs but manager Roy Hodgson is confident that the West Midlands club will retain all of their quality for next season and beyond.

"I know from past experience of trying to get Jonathan Greening out of West Brom (to Fulham) that the chairman (Jeremy Peace) is very keen on keeping the players that he wants to keep and who are under contract," Hodgson told Express and Star.

"I don't need assurances. I've never even broached the subject with him.

"The battle for Greening made me realise that West Brom don't release players they don't want to let go.

"Dan Ashworth and his scouting staff must take credit for finding him and also Odemwingie and Somen Tchoyi. Players have come into the club for very small sums of money and have succeeded.

"If you get it right – and the way he's got it right with Mulumbu and Odemwingie – he's got to be very happy.

"But it gets more difficult because every club is chasing the same goal."

nevzter

Quote from: White Noise on May 17, 2011, 06:55:17 AM
Fulham land June kick-off as UEFA award England extra Europa League spot

By Laura Williamson

Agony: Fulham reached the final last season, but were beaten by Atletico Madrid

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1387739/Fulham-land-June-kick-UEFA-award-England-extra-Europa-League-spot.html#ixzz1MaPOYVWd

That photo exhibits a great deal of heartbreak and is brilliant, in a sad sort of way.
"To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable."

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/may/16/the-fiver-tea-time-email

THE BATTLE TO AVOID QUALIFICATION

What with so little of interest happening at either end of the Premier League or in the FA Cup over the weekend, the Fiver's thoughts have naturally turned to the ongoing battle for those last remaining qualification spots for next year's Big Vase; specifically, the frantic race between assorted clubs to avoid filling them.

As things stand, Birmingham have already qualified for next year's competition courtesy of their unlikely victory in the League Cup, which means there's only one qualifying place up for grabs based on Premier League standings. That goes to whoever finishes fifth. And having shot themselves in the foot yesterday with an away win over a Liverpool side that was suspiciously less resurgent than usual, Spurs are currently in the box seat and desperately need to lose their home game against relegation-threatened Birmingham next weekend to maintain their faint hopes of avoiding the ignominy of having to play on Channel 5 or ITV4 on Thursday nights next season. Liverpool, by contrast, remain firmly in control of their own destiny: defeat at Aston Villa will guarantee their safety and consign Tottenham to second-tier European football.

But now the surprising revelation that England has topped the Uefa Fair Play League and have been "rewarded" with an extra Euro Vase spot has really put the cat among the pigeons, with Fulham having been sucked into the equation, where previously they'd presumed they were safe from qualification. With one match to go, the Cottagers find themselves in pole position, despite their heroic attempts to extricate themselves from the Euro Vase mire by racking up 10 bookings in their last two matches – exactly the same number they'd accumulated in their previous nine. Currently just a flurry of bookings and a mass-brawl away from saving themselves from qualification at the expense of poor old Tottenham, the Cottagers are almost certain to come out punching, kicking and possibly even biting in their season finale against Arsenal.

All of which duplicitous chicanery means that, with Tottenham now looking Euro Vase qualification certainties one way or the other, they might as well earn a berth in what passes for the competition proper by dint of their league position, which would at least spare them the ignominy of having to play a first round qualifier against Lokomotiv Dogski & Duckzov in four weeks time