watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (20.05.11)

Started by White Noise, May 20, 2011, 06:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/19052011/58/premier-league-match-facts-fulham-v-arsenal.html

Premier League - Match facts: Fulham v Arsenal

Thu, 19 May 05:09:00 2011

Facts and figures ahead of the Premier League clash between Fulham and Arsenal at Craven Cottage.

Fulham have never drawn a Premier League game on the final day of the season, winning five and losing four.

Arsenal have only ever drawn one of their 18 games on the final day of a Premier League season (0-0 v Portsmouth in 2007).

None of Fulham's nine home Premier League games against Arsenal have ended as draws.

The Whites have failed to score in six of their last eight Premier League home games v the Gunners.

The Gunners have scored exactly four goals on the final day in three of the last five seasons.

Robin Van Persie has scored as many Premier League goals in 2011 as the entire Blackburn Rovers team.

12 goals have been scored from corners at Craven Cottage this season, two more than any other ground.

If Robin van Persie scores against Fulham, he will equal the record of 18 goals scored in a season from January 1 onwards held by Thierry Henry and Cristiano Ronaldo.

Fulham attempted 14 shots (including blocks) in the reverse meeting between these sides, the most of all 19 teams to visit the Emirates in the league this term.

30% of Fulham's goals have come from headers this season, the highest proportion in the division.

Opta

White Noise

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/7944374/Fulham-v-Arsenal-match-preview.html

Fulham v Arsenal: match preview

Read a full match preview of the Premier League game between Fulham and Arsenal at Craven Cottage on Sunday May 22 2011, kick-off 16.00 BST.

FULHAMVARSENAL Sunday, May 22 16:00
Premier League
Craven Cottage

By Jonathan Liew 6:00AM BST 20 May 2011

Sunday May 22

Fulham v Arsenal
Kick-off: 16.00 BST
TV: Highlights BBC1 MOTD

Never mind fining Manchester United for a weakened team, how about fining Fulham for weakened tackles? With a Europa League spot there for the taking if they can maintain their strong position in the Fair Play League, you could forgive Fulham for ducking out of the odd 50/50 ball.

Mark Hughes has welcomed the possibility of European football returning to Craven Cittage, even though it would involve two months of travelling to places not even Eurovision would dare touch and beginning pre-season training around a week last Tuesday.

Bit of a curate's egg, Fulham – their last four games have finished 3-0, 0-3, 2-5 and 0-2 – so who knows what to expect from them here? Philippe Senderos should be in line to continue is encouraging comeback from injury.

Arsenal ... pffffft. Arsène Wenger's rumblings about Twitter and Jack Wilshere aside, there is little to hold the interest for them here. They could still finish third if Manchester City slip up. Thing is, if City slip up, you can practically rely on Arsenal to do so as well.

Betting: Home: 5-2 Away: 19-20 Draw: 12-5

Referee: Martin Atkinson matches 26 R10 Y86)

Fulham: LDWWLW Arsenal: DDLWLL

Arsenal need two goals to claim their best Away: tally in the Premier League.

White Noise

Former Chelsea chief tips Fulham boss for top job

By Paul Warburton

May 20 2011

WHAT Mark Hughes does next at Fulham will decide whether he will manage the likes of Manchester United or Chelsea one day – according to Glenn Hoddle.

The former England boss made Sparky one of his last player signings when Hod was in charge at Stamford Bridge, and has monitored his progress ever since.

Hughes insisted he was happy at Craven Cottage this week, but a man who knows him is only too aware Fulham's boss is ambitious.

Hoddle said: "Assuming Mark wants it in the first place – to attain the next step with somebody like Manchester United or Chelsea depends on the next step he takes at Fulham.

"Do the club stick or twist and go for something more ambitious, especially when you see how much clubs like Man City or Tottenham spent just to try and get fourth place?

"Or does Mark need to look at the way Fulham play? Does he go even more adventurous perhaps? And does he buys one or two more players?"

Hughes was courted twice by Fulham last summer as successor to Roy Hodgson.

At first, the former Manchester City boss rejected the approach. But when Martin Jol stuck with Ajax, Fulham finally persuaded Sparky their ambitions matched his.

But Hoddle is sure clubs like Aston Villa are monitoring Hughes's progress with the Whites.

He said: "There's no doubt in my mind, people are looking at him to see whether he can take Fulham higher. But to achieve this he needs a better and stronger squad and no key players out for a period of time – like Bobby Zamora this season.

"In my book, Mark certainly has the capabilities to manage at the top."

Hoddle is due to manage a team in Football 40 – a legends tournament at Craven Cottage on Sunday week, May 29th, kick-off 3pm involving sides from Chelsea, Fulham, Arsenal and Spurs.

More than 70 top players including Pat Nevin, Kerry Dixon, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Tor Andre Flo, Franco Zola, Geoff Horsfield, Andy Melville, Chris Coleman – and Roy Hodgson in a managerial capacity are set to appear.

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/05/20/former-chelsea-chief-tips-fulham-boss-for-top-job-82029-28727545/#ixzz1Ms9C7DBr

nevzter

Quote from: White Noise on May 20, 2011, 07:36:15 AM

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/man-city-midfielder-de-jong-third-place-would-be-cherry-cake-1641621

Man City midfielder De Jong: Third-place would be cherry on cake

19.05.11 | tribalfootball.com

Manchester City midfielder Nigel de Jong says finishing in third place would be the "cherry on the cake" for this season.

City need victory over Bolton Wanderers to be sure of automatic Champions League qualification.

"It's always tough against Bolton and they are strong on their own ground, but we have to go there, be mentally strong and give 100% because we can't rely on Fulham beating Arsenal," De Jong told City's website.

"If we do what we need to do we don't need favours from anyone else. It's been a long season but finishing third would be the cherry on the cake."

GFY, Mr. De Jong.  
"To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable."

White Noise

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/football_focus/13453671.stm

Lawro's prediction

Fulham v Arsenal

The noises I'm hearing from inside the club are that Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger won't be making major personnel changes this summer, which I have to say strikes me as particularly strange.

The world and his wife knows what needs to change there and what Wenger's problems are.

They're in danger of finishing fourth now - and considering their collapse in form since late March, I think that's exactly where they'll end up.

Fulham, so impressive last week at Birmingham, don't lose many at home and they have been very good in the second half of the season.

There was a spell, would you believe, that Mark Hughes' position was said to be under threat - which is utterly ridiculous when you consider he was without strikers Bobby Zamora and Andy Johnson.

Now, though, everyone can see that Hughes is a very good Premier League manager - sought after, I wouldn't mind guessing, by the likes of Aston Villa this summer - and he's led them on a fantastic run.

I'm backing them to end the season on a high.

Prediction: 2-1

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6941352,00.html

Cottagers confident on Hughes

Fulham believe boss will stay

Last Updated: May 20, 2011 9:04am

Fulham expect Mark Hughes to remain at their helm for the 2011/12 campaign despite reports to the contrary.

It is understood that the Cottagers boss has a release clause in his contract which can be activated on 30th June.

He would still have another 12 months to run on the deal he penned last summer, but would be free to walk away from the club should he wish to do so.

A number of Fulham's Premier League rivals are reported to be keeping a close eye on Hughes' situation, as they plot managerial changes of their own.

Adamant

The Cottagers, though, are confident that their boss is going nowhere.

Talks regarding fresh terms are ongoing, with Fulham closing on a top-half finish, and a club spokesman has attempted to curb the distracting speculation regarding Hughes' future.

"Mark has made it clear that he is happy here and looking forward to the next campaign," said the spokesman.

"We are adamant that he will be staying at Fulham."

White Noise

Taking His Chance

Friday 20th May 2011

Making only his fifth start of the season, Fulham midfielder Jonathan Greening certainly highlighted the depth of Fulham's squad last weekend with an influential display in the Whites' victory over Birmingham City.

Greening produced an impressive performance out wide, constantly occupying the home side's defence and playing a key role in the Team's second successive away win.

"I haven't played for quite a while and it was a bit of a surprise when my name came up in the team meeting before the game," said Greening as he looked back on his performance. "I didn't have a clue I was playing until a hour and a half before kick-off. It was nice to get out on the pitch, I just thought I'd try and enjoy myself, get a few touches of the ball and luckily for me I did all right. It was a good team performance and a good away win at a tough place to go."

Greening has usually been employed in the centre of midfield but as he explained, playing out on the wing was not a new experience for him.

"I prefer playing in centre midfield but I'll always try to do a job for the team if called upon," he said. "I think the Gaffer knows that I've played on the left before at West Brom for quite a few years and at Middlesbrough as well as Man United. So I think he knew I could play there.

"I've been training well all year, just waiting for my chance. I didn't get as many chances as I wanted but I waited patiently and I got my chance. It was nice to get a game but I just wish there were a few more games left in the season.

"I know Mousa and Simon Davies might be back for the next match and they're two quality players, so it will be up to the Gaffer to make the decision. If I can do another good job then great, if not I'll go back to the bench and keep working hard."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/May/GreeningSquadStrength.aspx#ixzz1MskyhHKA

White Noise

White Noise

A Place In History

Friday 20th May 2011

If you're looking to purchase a Season Ticket at Fulham Football Club| for the 2011/12 campaign, you will not just be supporting the oldest London club in the Barclays Premier League next season, you will be sitting in a stadium steeped in rich history.

There is arguably no other stadium that can match the unique character and matchday atmosphere of Craven Cottage. It is one of a kind that stands apart in the new era of modern stadia. 

This week we guide you through the early years of the Cottage, from 1780 until the advent of World War II, when nearly 50,000 supporters packed themselves into the Cottage for a London derby against Millwall.

A Place In History - Part 1

The original 'Cottage' was built in 1780, by William Craven, the sixth Baron Craven. At the time, the surrounding areas were woods which made up part of Anne Boleyn's hunting grounds. It was lived in by Edward Bulwer-Lytton and other somewhat notable (and moneyed) persons until it was destroyed by fire in May 1888. Following that, the site was abandoned.

When representatives of Fulham first came across the land, in 1894, it was so overgrown that it took two years to be made suitable for football to be played on it. A deal had been done that meant this work was done by the owners of the ground, who then would receive a proportion of the gate receipts.

The first event at which there were any gate receipts was when Fulham played against Minerva in the Middlesex Senior Cup, on October 10th, 1896. The ground's first stand was built shortly after. Described as looking like an "orange box", it consisted of four wooden structures each holding some 250 seats, and later was affectionately nicknamed the "Rabbit hutch".

Before the ground could become too well established, the now defunct London County Council became concerned with the level of safety at the ground, and tried to get it closed. A court case followed in January 1905, as a result of which Archibald Leitch, a Scottish architect who had rose to prominence after his building of Ibrox a few years prior, was hired to work on the stadium. In a scheme costing £15,000, he had a new pavilion (the modern Cottage itself) and a stand built, in his characteristic red brick style.

The image below was taken during an International between England and Wales in 1907, the famous Billy Meredith is pictured here scoring for Wales in a 1-1 draw. You can still clearly see the windows at the back of the then called Stevenage Road Stand. 

Below is a panoramic image of the Cottage taken from the Fulham's 2-0 defeat to Bury. The Bury side that day went on to win promotion to Division 1. The Johnny Haynes Stand, as it is known today, has not changed a great deal since then.

Fulham managed to stay up on the final day of the season thanks to a 1-0 final victory over Stockport.

We have managed to unearth another image from 1934, the match shows Fulham goalkeeper Alf Tootil beating Plymouth's Jimmy Cookson to a through ball. The background shows a packed Putney End and Stevenage Road Stand. Crowds at the Cottage in the 1930s were at an all time high. The club's highest ever attendance of 49,335 was recorded against Millwall in October 1938.

Next week, keep and eye out for Part 2 of our Place in History feature, when we will be showing some remarkable images from the Johnny Haynes era, when the Club's greatest ever player graced the Craven Cottage turf.

Guarantee your place at the Cottage next season for another year of top flight football in SW6.|

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/May/CottageHistoryPart1.aspx#ixzz1Msn9B4Y6

White Noise

Matchday Programme

The 2010/11 Barclays Premier League season comes to an end on Sunday with Fulham hosting Arsenal at Craven Cottage for what promises to be an exciting finish to another positive campaign.

In what has undoubtedly been a year of progression for the Whites, Mark Hughes' side head into the encounter in confident mood having seen off Birmingham City comfortably last weekend to secure their third win in four matches.

Visiting Arsenal have enjoyed less fortune of late, with three defeats from their last four outings. However, Arsene Wenger's team will certainly not be taken lightly as they look to do all they can to leapfrog Manchester City and claim third place.

Fulham harbour winning ambitions too, and if results go their way, Whites fans could well be celebrating the equalling of the Club's highest top-flight finish of seventh. Both teams have plenty to play for, making Sunday's clash one not to be missed.

What's more, one lucky fan that purchases a matchday programme could will be heading to Malta with a friend courtesy of our Official European Airline Partner Air Malta and our regular Lucky Programme Number competition.

With its sleek design, the must read 84-page publication comes packed full of Fulham facts and info, in-depth discussion, exclusive player interaction, innovative features and detailed coverage of your favourite club.

This week's essential Matchday read also includes:

A message from Fulham Manager Mark Hughes.
Danny Murphy's views as Club Captain, plus an exclusive detailed feature with the skipper himself.
Defender Philippe Senderos on his comeback, recent run in the First Team and his time at today's opponents Arsenal.
Expert Analysis from former Fulham and Arsenal favourite Moritz Volz.
An insight into the opposition's camp with Jack Wilshere.
A look back at season 2010/11 in pictures.
All the action from the U18s' Premier Academy League Final and a look back on another positive year from Academy Director Huw Jennings.
The popular Black & White Eye, covering all things Fulham.
Match action from our games with Liverpool and Birmingham City.
Unprecedented fan interaction and tonnes of fun for younger fans too.
Plus, so much more besides!
The brilliant publication will be on sale in and around the ground from two hours before kick-off and at half-time.

If you miss your copy outside then look out for sellers on the Putney and Hammersmith Terrace, or at half-time from the programme room situated inside the Johnny Haynes Stand by Block E (opposite Turnstile 24).

Buy Matchday Programmes online|

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Fanzone/FFCMatchdayProgramme.aspx#ixzz1MsptlciQ

White Noise

http://www.teamtalk.com/match/preview/978/6941362/Fulham-v-Arsenal-preview

GUNNERS SWEAT ON TRIO

Friday 20th May 2011 9:11

Team news for Sunday's clash between Fulham and Arsenal.

Arsenal will hand late fitness tests to midfielders Samir Nasri (hamstring) and Abou Diaby (calf) as well as full-back Gael Clichy (hamstring) ahead of Sunday's Barclays Premier League trip to Fulham.

Tomas Rosicky (thigh), Johan Djourou (ankle) and Laurent Koscielny (thigh) will also be assessed, having missed last week's home defeat by Aston Villa.

Captain Cesc Fabregas, however, remains sidelined by a thigh problem.

Teams:

Fulham (from): Will appear here...

Arsenal (from): Szczesny, Gibbs, Squillaci, Vermaelen, Sagna, Arshavin, Song, Ramsey, Wilshere, Walcott, van Persie, Lehmann, Chamakh, Bendtner, Denilson, Eboue, Nasri, Diaby, Clichy, Rosicky, Djourou, Koscielny.

White Noise

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/-hughes-has-changed-the-system-a-bit-?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+arsenal-news+%28News+Feed%29

'Hughes has changed the system a bit'

So what sort of Fulham side can Arsenal expect to face on Sunday in their final Premier League fixture of the season?

We spoke to Paul Warburton of the Kensington and Chelsea News to get a Fulham perspective on the game.

FORM BOOK

The 5-2 defeat to Liverpool came completely out of the blue because Fulham are strong at home. Craven Cottage has been good to them and they have mastered the technique of getting points at home. They were playing well up to that point and even managed an away win just prior to that, at Sunderland. Everyone expected it to be a close game against Liverpool but they got blown away in the first 20 minutes and never recovered.

REASONS TO BE CHEERFUL

Fulham have come on strong in the second half of the season and that was always Mark Hughes' plan. He builds up his team to be fit enough for the whole season and he planned it this way. So it's not surprising that they have had a decent 2011.

THE MAN IN CHARGE

Mark Hughes has changed the system a bit without changing the personnel. Roy Hodgson, by the players' admission, waited for things to happen but Hughes has gone for a bit more of an attacking option and has tended to go at teams a bit more. He has made the players extremely fit so you can see why he improved the ones he had already. Eighth position in the table underlines that.

FORMER GUNNER

It all depends on how Hughes decides to play but I would think the chances of seeing Philippe Senderos are pretty good. He has had a torrid time with an Achilles problem that has kept him out all season. It is one of those seasons that he will look to forget and kick on for the next campaign.

White Noise

Arsenal Gold: Classic Fulham encounters

GOLD

Fulham 0-1 Arsenal (September 26, 2009)

13 mins 0 seconds

GOLD

Fulham 0-3 Arsenal (January 19, 2008)

16 mins 31 seconds

GOLD

Fulham 0-3 Arsenal (September 11, 2004)

3 mins 55 seconds

The countdown to Arsenal's next match starts here.

Before every fixture you can take a trip down memory lane with some previous encounters against our forthcoming opponents. Click on the scores for match reports and click on the PLAY buttons to watch the best of the action from each game.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/38231/arsenal-gold-classic-fulham-encounters?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+arsenal-news+%28News+Feed%29

White Noise

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/fulham-v-arsenal-paddy-power-s-preview?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+arsenal-news+%28News+Feed%29

Fulham v Arsenal - Paddy Power's Preview

Fulham v Arsenal

A Champions League Qualifying Round will prove little more than a minor inconvenience at the start of next season but, if for pride alone, it is still something Arsène Wenger would rather avoid. Last week's defeat has taken the control away from Arsenal but if Manchester City slip-up at Bolton then the Gunners will want to capitalise by taking all three points at Craven Cottage. Even if Manchester City do win, the manager and players alike will want to finish the season on some kind of high after signing off at the Emirates in such disappointing fashion.

Fulham are a tough nut to crack at home, though Wenger will have been encouraged by the manner with which they came undone against Liverpool's attacking football a few weeks back. Mark Hughes has done an excellent job with the Cottagers and has unsurprisingly been linked with other jobs. Thanks to the Fair Play League his side now look certain to be playing in the Europa League next season and he will want to end a good season with a home win over one of the top four.

Before the Liverpool game Fulham had gone eight Premier League games unbeaten at home, winning seven, thanks to a solid defence, a usually reliable keeper and a hard-working but creative midfield. Having Bobby Zamora back in the frontline is a big plus for Hughes and he is a player the Arsenal backline will need to keep tight to.

Robin van Persie maintained his scoring form against Aston Villa and the 6/5 on him to score anytime looks a good bet considering he's scored in eight of Arsenal's last ten games. An 80 per cent strike rate has to be worth taking a chance on.

Despite their recent form Arsenal do still have the best away record in the Premier League, though some may be put off by their odds on price of 10/11. If they can match Liverpool's performance then there's money to be made taking Arsenal -1 goal at 5/2 but that's a very risky bet. In fact the truly cautious among you may be considering taking on the draw at 11/4. It wouldn't be the most satisfying of ends to a season but it would be a profitable one.

zzamora

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-23952065-fulham-target-crystal-palace-gem.do

Fulham target Crystal Palace gem
Ian Gibb
20 May 2011

Fulham want to sign Crystal Palace teenager Wilfried Zaha in exchange for midfielder Kagisho Dikgacoi and a cash adjustment.

Dikgacoi, 26, made only one appearance for Fulham this season but was a big hit at Palace, where he made 13 starts and hit the only goal in a crucial 1-0 win over Cardiff.

Both Fulham and Liverpool have been tracking Zaha's progress since the 18-year-old winger played for England Under-19s against Germany in February.

Palace are reluctant to let go of Zaha but want Dikgacoi to come on a permanent deal, worth around £2.5 million