Sunday Fulham Stuff (22.05.11)

Started by White Noise, May 21, 2011, 09:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://footytweets.com/fulham/news/504227

Hughes eyes European boost

Fulham boss knows continental involvement would attract players

Last Updated: May 21, 2011 8:12pm

Mark Hughes believes qualifying for the Europa League could benefit Fulham in the long run by helping to attract better players.

The Premier League has been awarded an extra European berth for next season due to its high ranking in the Respect Fair Play League.

The team that gets the place will begin at the first round of Europa League qualifying in late June, a scenario that may not be desirable due to the risk of burn-out further into the season.

Fulham could be the recipients but, having reached the final of the competition last season under Roy Hodgson, current manager Hughes believes it can have a positive impact on the club's recruitment policy.

"You have to spend your resources wisely and make sure you get the people into the club. If you target the right ones - which we feel we are doing at the moment - and get them over the line then I will be delighted. "

Mark Hughes

Quotes of the week

"Obviously the attraction if you are in the market for players from other leagues in Europe and around the world is that you can offer them European football," he said.

"That is important to players and I think that would be an added advantage.

"If we didn't have it obviously that might be the difference between getting a good player or not.

"We want to be involved and want to do well in it, but obviously the acquisition of players is paramount in pre-season and that might be the difference."

He added: "We have got two scenarios and obviously we have planned accordingly for both eventualities.

"Our only concern is that we have not been able commit to any pre-season tournaments or whatever because of the Europa League, which could hinder our pre-season preparation for the Premier League.

Spending wisely
"But we just have to bide our time and I would suggest that this time next week I think we would know officially.

"Obviously we have to wait until the programme is finished, then they will add up the sums and tell us who has qualified.

"The position of Tottenham is paramount in that. If they are fifth or sixth that has a bearing on whether or not we qualify."

Hughes has not spoken to Fulham's board about how much money will be made available for new signings this summer but is confident they can work together in the best interests of the club.

"I think it is about presenting a good case for each player I would like to bring in," he said.

"If you present it in the right manner and if the figures stack up then I am sure the money will be made available.

"It is not about saying I want X amount and then spending it all.

"You have to spend your resources wisely and make sure you get the people into the club.

"If you target the right ones - which we feel we are doing at the moment - and get them over the line then I will be delighted."

White Noise

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/fulham-vs-arsenal-sun-22-may-2011

Fulham Vs Arsenal, Sun 22 May 2011

Fulham Vs Arsenal: Match Preview

By GMF Editor  May 21, 2011

Fulham manager Mark Hughes believes qualification for next season's Europa League could help the Cottagers in the long run by helping them accrue higher quality players this summer.

The west London outfit are in contention for an unlikely place in the competition via the Fair Play system after England received an extra berth for finishing in the top three of the Respect Fair Play League.

Fulham look the most likely beneficiaries as they are in second spot in the Barclays Premier League's fair play table behind Chelsea, who have already qualified for the Champions League, with one match remaining.

The Cottagers - who host Arsenal on Sunday - reached the final of the Europa League last season under Roy Hodgson and current incumbent Hughes believes it can have a positive impact on the club's recruitment policy.

"Obviously the attraction if you are in the market for players from other leagues in Europe and around the world is that you can offer them European football," he said.

"That is important to players and I think that would be an added advantage.

"If we didn't have it obviously that might be the difference between getting a good player or not.

"We want to be involved and want to do well in it, but obviously the acquisition of players is paramount in pre-season and that might be the difference."

He added: "We have got two scenarios and obviously we have planned accordingly for both eventualities.

"Our only concern is that we have not been able commit to any pre-season tournaments or whatever because of the Europa League, which could hinder our pre-season preparation for the Premier League.

"But we just have to bide our time and I would suggest that this time next week I think we would know officially.

"Obviously we have to wait until the programme is finished, then they will add up the sums and tell us who has qualified.

"The position of Tottenham is paramount in that. If they are fifth or sixth that has a bearing on whether or not we qualify."

Jack Wilshere intends to work even harder next season as the young England midfielder looks to cement his place at the heart of the Arsenal team.

The 19-year-old will have played more than half a century of matches for club and country by the time he finally gets to head off for a well-earned summer break, which is not likely to be until after the end of England's involvement at the European Under-21 Championship.

Wilshere may now be an integral member of both the Gunners and Three Lions set-ups, but the teenager has no intentions of resting on his laurels.

"My target at the start was to play 20-25 games. I have to keep working hard," Wilshere told the June edition of the official Arsenal magazine.

"Next year I will set myself new targets and one of them will be to score more goals. I have only scored twice this season and that is not enough.

"I used to score a lot in the youth team and there is no reason why I can't take that into the first team.

"Above that, though, I have to keep my place in the Arsenal team.

"I am still young, still learning and there is plenty of quality in the squad who can step in."

The Gunners head to Craven Cottage with a sense of what might have been.

A run of just two wins in the last 10 Barclays Premier League matches has seen Arsene Wenger's young squad slip back down the table to fourth, with FA Cup winners Manchester City now in the driving seat to claim automatic Champions League qualification.

Wenger is in no doubt their cataclysmic collapse was sparked by the shock a last-minute loss to Birmingham in the Carling Cup final.

Wilshere feels if things had gone differently at Wembley that fateful afternoon in late February, a great burden would have been lifted.

"If you get that first trophy then you hope more will follow," he said.

"It would bring a different sprit to the team, there is more happiness and you can be more relaxed when you go out there and play."

White Noise

http://www.epltalk.com/fulham-away-shirt-for-2011-12-season-leaked-photo-31764?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+EPLTalk+%28EPL+Talk%29

Fulham Away Shirt for 2011-12 Season: Leaked Photo

by The Gaffer on May 21, 2011 · 2 comments

Fulham have been teasing the release of their new away shirt on their website all week, and plan to officially unveil it during their home match against Arsenal tomorrow, but here's a sneak peek of it before it's launched.

Designed and manufactured by Kappa, the black shirt is simple and classy with red Kappa logos on each shoulder. On the back of the shirt is the Fulham 'FFF' crest. Fulham were supposed to have FxPro as a sponsor until at least 2013, but according to the Daily Mail, they decided to keep their sponsorship with Fulham but drop their one with Aston Villa.

What do you think of Fulham's new away shirt for next season? Share your feedback in the comments section below. And don't forget, for the largest selection of Premier League shirts for all 20 clubs, visit the EPL Talk Shop.

White Noise

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2011/05/final_curtain_call.php

Final Curtain Call

Posted by Phil Mison 8 hours, 24 minutes ago

Our great club have two points more than we finished up with last season. With the spectre of relegation banished Fulham want to finish with a flourish and secure 7th place.

© Reuters

And what an achievement that would be in Hughes first season. Appointed two weeks before the big kick-off with scant opportunity to make signings. Then seeing the team's pivotal figure in your England centre-forward put out of the game with a fractured ankle at the start of September. Bobby has been in the form of his life for the past two seasons - hard to imagine he was on the brink of being shipped out to Hull two summers ago. You wonder just what might have been achieved this season with Zamo in the ranks.

From the visit of Everton on, watching Fulham labour to create chances in attack was initially frustrating, and by Christmas deeply worrying. Clint stepped into the breach and has been outstanding, his 13 goal contribution the difference between Fulham sitting pretty in mid-table or entering 'Showdown Sunday' in the relegation mire. We are, after all, just three wins away from the dead men walking - Wigan, Blackpool and Birmingham.

That we go into the Arsenal game clear of the drop zone is down to a terrific run of form since January, especially at home. The defence has done its job all season. Just 20 goals conceded from away games is an outstanding testament to organisation and discipline. Remember, we have not conceded from the penalty spot all season, and the only penalty given against us was (inevitably) for Man Utd last August in one of the best games of the campaign. Ref Walton on the day had a poor one and was the only man in the ground who saw Duff's unavoidable contact on the ball with his elbow as deliberate. 'Unbelievable Stockers' however was equal to the kick. And the towering Brede made sure we came out of the game with heads held high.

The only missed opportunities to sour Sparky's end of term report I guess would be our failure to go the distance in either of the two Cup campaigns. We started both as well in such a resounding manner, six goals at the Cottage against Port Vale and then Peterborough in January. The latter also saw Fulham's only hat-trick of the season from Jo Kamara, who then ended the season out on loan.

Diomansy and a few others will be heading for the exit door come Monday. The intriguing question for Whites fans between now and next August is who will we add to the roster, and will Hughes stick around for a 2nd season? Much uninformed gossip will litter the tabloids and forums from here on in. Best just to kick back, head for the beach, and see what happens. But I am beginning to wonder why Mark still seems to be holding back on inking that contract. Could he be waiting to see if the Chelsea job is offered? Don't rule it out - he played for the club of course, and has a vocal supporter in Glenn Hoddle, the man who bought him to the Bridge.

As to our own transfer needs. Hughes was pretty vocal at Friday's press conference about who is and who isn't leaving. Says he has no interest in re-signing Konchesky but concedes Salcido will be almost certainly heading home to Mexico. Carlos says his family have been unsettled by a house robbery in London. Ahem, senor, have you seen what's been going down in Monterrey recently? Now dubbed the 'City of Massacres.'

Nothing posted here is going to sway Hughes in his decisions re player movements, so let's waste no more time and move on to looking at Sunday's derby. A good time to be meeting Arsenal? They have injuries and really have lost the plot in the last month. From being title contenders for so long, the ever proud Wenger must be at his wits end to see the team fall away so badly. So is another Fulham home win on the cards to see us end on a real high?

I'd like to think so, but it is so in Fulham's DNA to come up short, just when our expectations are high. I still feel nervous whenever I see the Gunners red emerge from the tunnel against us. They are still a major force, and have held the indian sign over us for half a century. While playing with a makeshift strike force at Highbury last year we might have gained a point with more self-belief - undone by Nasri's genius - but at present Arsenal are looking very beatable.

Our opponents do have plenty to play for if they want to avoid the Champions League qualifying stage though, so we have to be right on top of our game. I'll be bold and predict a 1-0 win for Fulham with Dempsey the match-winner. That would round my season out to perfection!

The club are saying only Dembele and Duff currently require treatment - Baird remains suspended, so maybe we have a strong squad to pick from. I've stopped trusting Sparky though to be straight with the team news, so let's wait and see. Whatever the result, and whoever plays, no doubt we'll all be giving the players a massive salute at the final whistle. They have given their all this season, we're finishing in the top half of the league, and we're heading back into Europe. Following the Fulham...dontcha just love it! Finally, if he's at the ground or not, we gotta send out the LOVE to that great guy, John Pantsil. We will miss you.

COYW! Twitter@fulhamphil

White Noise

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/05/21/new-fulham-away-shirt-featuring-exclusive-underwiring-technology/

New Fulham away shirt featuring exclusive "underwiring" technology

Filed under: General — rich @ 9:24 am

This is annoying.  The new "Back in Black" kit seems to have been found, and again seems like a missed opportunity.

Fulham have been selling this year's kit at a discount for a large part of the season.  This is presumably because sales have been slow.

They shouldn't have been, the kit being a nice classic white with a black v-neck.  It should have been a top seller.

But it wasn't because of certain fundamental issues:

Sizing: nobody knows what size to buy.  Vague ideas about it being 'tight' and therefore "aim a size higher" is no use to people these days.  If you buy a football shirt and it's too tight it's no use to you.   If you were going to get the shirt printed then you need to get the size right.   Rule 1, then:  make shirts in sizes people will be able to understand.

Fit:  most of us aren't all that up for skin tight clothing.  So if you make your kit like this, don't expect fans to buy it in vast numbers.   This is not unrelated to point one, in that people will then think "hmmm, I don't want a skin-tight shirt.  Should I get a size bigger?  Does that mean two sizes bigger then, or just one?  Oh, feck it, I'll leave it."   Rule 2:  sell shirts in sizes people will want to wear.

Design:   While the home shirt this year was pretty nice, it also looked quite cheap.   This is partly the red of the sponsor's logo, so prominently placed, and partly I think the Kappa people on the shoulders.   Also the fabric, which felt cheap, too.    The away shirt was in some ways bold, in others a poor choice.  The graphite looks good, but they've managed to lose the good of that with a strange red pattern.   The third shirt divides people, but again seems to me like a good(ish) idea badly executed.   In the past a number of clubs have offered fans three designs to choose from, and the popular vote has dictated choice.  Having suffered (we assume) such poor sales this time around I'm quite surprised the club haven't gone down this road for the 11/12 season.   Doing this market research would – one would assume – get a shirt the fans like most, and – one would assume – then result in higher sales.   To blunder on with a "we're designers, we know best approach" leads you into the same position we're in now:  shirts people don't want to buy.

Which brings us to the "Back in Black" shirt.   I like the concept, I hate the design.   The skin tight material looks like a wetsuit, the high neck looks like I don't know what, a sporting undershirt I guess, the red Kappa people on the shoulders look weird, and as for the stitching on the front.... what on earth is that about?  It looks like some kind of underwiring.

It might look genuinely excellent in real life (this is actually quite a big "but" – the players might look tremendous in this, in which case fair enough), but again it seems to be a decent idea carried out badly.  One only has to look at the simple designs John Cummins puts up on Friends of Fulham to see how well these things can be done, but sadly Fulham seem set on releasing shirts that are mad, bad and dangerous to own.   A simple black shirt could have been a winner, but again, it looks like a missed opportunity.

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/match/49114/fulham-vs-arsenal/preview

Fulham 0 vs 0 Arsenal  Pre Match

22 May 2011 16:00:00 BST

Craven Cottage — London

Referee:‬ M. Atkinson‎  PreviewTeam NewsLineups & StatsMatch PreviewPre-Match Stats
» Head to Head» Last Five Matches» Team News» Available Squads» Players to Watch» Probable Lineups» Prediction Comments (9)     

Fulham - Arsenal Preview: Arsene Wenger's side aiming for win that could see them leapfrog Manchester City into third place
Gunners looking to halt end of season capitulation, with a win possibly seeing them avoid the Champions League qualification stage as Fulham seek to cement top-half finish

By Josh Clarke

PROBABLE LINE-UPS
Fulham (4-4-2): Schwarzer; Senderos, Hangeland, Hughes, Salcido; Sidwell, Murphy,  Dempsey, Greening; Zamora, Johnson. 
Mark Hughes will be sweating over the availability of Sean Davis and Bobby Zamora, with the duo set to complete late fitness tests before the game.

Meanwhile, Chris Baird is definitely out, serving a two-game suspension for foul language towards an official. Damien Duff's continued absence is more than likely to be filled by Jonathan Greening. Arsenal (4-3-3): Szczesny; Sagna, Vermaelen, Squillaci, Gibbs; Song, Wilshere, Ramsey; Walcott, Arshavin, Van Persie. 
Thomas Vermaelen continues his comeback trail, completing a back-four line-up that was dismantled by Aston Villa in 15 minutes last week.

In fact, Arsene Wenger will more than likely keep faith with the same XI from last week, as Samir Nasri and Cesc Fabregas look as if their period on the sidelines will stretch into the summer. Andrey Arshavin could count himself lucky to start after a dismal end of season run-in.

DID YOU KNOW?

•Not one of Fulham's home Premier League games against Arsenal has ended in a draw.
•The Cottagers have failed to score in six of their last eight home Premier League games against the Gunners.
•Arsenal have scored exactly four goals in the ultimate game of their Premier League campaign in three of the last five seasons.
•Arsenal have only ever drawn one of their 18 games on the final day of the Premier League season.
•30% of Fulham's goals this season have come from headers - the highest proportion in the league.
Follow the Premier League LIVE on Goal.com:
Commentaries, Stats, Player Ratings and much more,
Visit Goal.com Live Scores!

Field Report Fulham  Arsenal Head to HeadPremier League ‎(EPL)‎ 4 Dec 2010 Arsenal 2 - Fulham 1   
Premier League ‎(EPL)‎ 9 May 2010 Arsenal 4 - Fulham 0   
Premier League ‎(EPL)‎ 26 Sep 2009 Fulham 0 - Arsenal 1   
Premier League ‎(EPL)‎ 28 Feb 2009 Arsenal 0 - Fulham 0   
Premier League ‎(EPL)‎ 23 Aug 2008 Fulham 1 - Arsenal 0   

Last Five Matches15 May 2011 Birmingham City 0 - Fulham 2 EPL
9 May 2011 Fulham 2 - Liverpool 5 EPL
30 Apr 2011 Sunderland 0 - Fulham 3 EPL
27 Apr 2011 Fulham 3 - Bolton Wanderers 0 EPL
23 Apr 2011 Wolves 1 - Fulham 1 EPL
15 May 2011 Arsenal 1 - Aston Villa 2 EPL
8 May 2011 Stoke City 3 - Arsenal 1 EPL
1 May 2011 Arsenal 1 - Manchester United 0 EPL
24 Apr 2011 Bolton Wanderers 2 - Arsenal 1 EPL
20 Apr 2011 Tottenham 3 - Arsenal 3 EPL

Available Squads1 Mark Schwarzer Goalkeeper
6 Philippe Senderos Defender
5 Brede Hangeland Defender
18 Aaron Hughes Defender
3 Carlos Amoldo Salcido  Defender
4 Steve Sidwell Midfielder
13 Danny Murphy Midfielder
23 Clint Dempsey Midfielder
27 Jonathan Greening Midfielder
25 Bobby Zamora Striker
21 Eddie Johnson Striker
53 Wojciech Szczesny Goalkeeper
3 Bacary Sagna Defender
5 Thomas Vermaelen Defender
18 Sébastien Squillaci Defender
28 Kieran Gibbs Defender
17 Alexandre Song Midfielder
19 Jack Wilshere Midfielder
30 Aaron Ramsey Midfielder
14 Theo Walcott Striker
23 Andrey Arshavin Striker
10 Robin Van Persie Striker
Players to Watch Brede Hangeland 
Position: Defender
Squad Number: 5
Games Goals YC RC
35 6 6 0
The giant defender has long been linked with a move across London to the Gunners. And judging by last week's early capitulation to Aston Villa, Arsenal could do with him.

It promises to be a busy afternoon for the Fulham back four and should Hangeland lock out Van Persie and co, Arsene Wenger will surely be tempted to open his cheque book. Andrey Arshavin 
Position: Striker
Squad Number: 23
Games Goals YC RC
35 6 1 0
The diminutive Russian has come under fire in the last few games of the season for a perceived lack of endeavour. If given the opportunity to start today, it could be the last chance for him to prove to Arsene Wenger he has a place at the Emirates.

Arsenal have traditionally been rampant on the last day of the season, so it could be a prime opportunity for Arshavin to get in on the act.Probable Lineups   1  6  5  18  3  4  13  23  27  25  21  53  3  5  18  28  17  19  30  14  23  10 PredictionIt's a game where Fulham have a lot more to lose than Arsenal. If results conspire against the Cottagers, they could find themselves in the bottom half of the table after a very respectable season. The Gunners, on the other hand, are guaranteed fourth but could leapfrog Manchester City into third should Roberto Mancini's side fail to win.

Arsenal will be desperate not to end the season with three losses in a row. They attacked Aston Villa last week and I can see more of the same this week and I'm not sure whether Fulham will be able to keep them at bay.Editor's Prediction  Fulham 1 Arsenal 2

White Noise

Fulham boss sets sights on summer signings

By Jacob Murtagh

May 20 2011

MARK Hughes wants to qualify for the Europa League to help Fulham's summer recruitment drive.

The Whites go into Sunday's game with Arsenal in pole position to secure a spot in Europe through the Fair Play League.

Hughes wants to add a couple of players to his squad in the close season, and admits the lure of European football could boost his chances of landing his targets.

He said: "We are okay with numbers, so if we can add some quality we will try and do that.

"If you are trying to attract players from Europe and around the world and can offer them European football it's an added advantage.

"It's important to players and could be the difference between getting a good player or not.

"If we present a good case for each player I would like to bring in and the figures add up I am sure the finances will be available."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/05/20/fulham-boss-sets-sights-on-summer-signings-82029-28733130/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter#ixzz1N1ausGHn

mike_f

Prem fans in revolt over massive season ticket price hikes

Read more:

Hard-up Premier League fans are facing massive rises in the cost of match tickets.

Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea, Fulham have all ­increased the price of season tickets for the new season well above the rise in inflation. Fulham top the league for the biggest price hike with 33 per cent followed by Premier League new boys Norwich with a rise of 12 per cent.

Now many fed-up supporters have decided they have had enough, with one in seven saying they will not renew their season tickets, according to a survey by Virgin Money.

Fulham supporters will have to stump up an extra £94 to pay for the club's cheapest available season ticket, which has shot up from £285 to £379. Chelsea fans have to find an extra £45 to buy their cheapest season ticket at £595 – a rise of 8.2 per cent, ­almost double the 4.5 per cent rate of ­inflation.

Tottenham and Liverpool fans are also hit hard, with the price of their cheapest tickets going up by 6.2 per cent and 6.6 per cent respectively.

Arsenal fans will have to pay £58 extra for the cheapest ticket, which has risen from £893 to £951, an increase of 6.5 per cent. But the North London club ­include seven cup games in their season tickets.

Tickets are priced differently because some packages are more basic. Many of the dearest include food, drink and entertainment.

Arsenal fans staged a protest before the kick-off at last Sunday's home match against Aston Villa which they lost, chanting during the match : "Six per cent, you're having a laugh." Supporter Michael Ellerker, 38, of Gospel Oak, North London, said: "The price rises are an absolute ­disgrace. There is no other way to describe it, and there is a lot of anger among fans.

"To add insult to injury they have demanded the money by June 1. A lot of people who are struggling to make ends meet just won't renew."

And Malcolm Clarke, chairman of the Football Supporters' Federation, described the price hikes as "extraordinary".

He said: "We live in difficult times. In this climate it's entirely inappropriate for football clubs, particularly those in the Premier League which have huge incomes from media rights, to increase their prices above the rate of inflation. These clubs have got money coming out of their ears, probably about the only part of the economy that does."

Remarkably, Bolton have ­decided to REDUCE the cost of their cheapest season ticket.

At Fulham spokeswoman ­Sarah Brookes justified the club's huge rise, stressing that they were still offering the ­cheapest season ticket of any Premier League club based in the London area.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Season-ticket-price-outrage-Premier-League-fans-in-revolt-over-massive-hikes-article738885.html#ixzz1N1kGzVVf

White Noise

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/8528716/England-coach-Fabio-Capello-turns-to-Fulhams-Bobby-Zamora-in-an-attempt-to-solve-striking-crisis.html

England coach Fabio Capello turns to Fulham's Bobby Zamora in an attempt to solve striking crisis

Fabio Capello has selected Bobby Zamora in his provisional squad for England's Euro 2012 qualifier with Switzerland at Wembley on June 4 and is considering selecting the Fulham striker when he names his final squad on Monday.

Back with a bang: Bobby Zamora, seen here holding off Bolton's David Wheater, has the opportunity to restart his England career after battling back from an horrific leg-break Photo: ACTION IMAGES

By Duncan White 10:43PM BST 21 May 2011

With Wayne Rooney suspended, concerns over the fitness of Andy Carroll and both Peter Crouch and Jermain Defoe out of form, the England manager has limited options up front.

Zamora, 30, is back in the reckoning for the first time since recovering from the broken leg he suffered against Wolverhampton Wanderers in September, just a month after making his England debut.

He returned for Fulham at the end of February and has scored three goals in 10 games since.

Stuart Pearce also names his England Under-21 squad for the European Championships on Monday.

His biggest decision is whether or not to select Jack Wilshere, who Arsenal fear would face an increased risk of injury after an arduous season, but Capello has told Pearce that he has his full backing in whatever choice he makes.

White Noise

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/news/2011/05/22/dempsey-aims-for-fulham-scoring-record-102039-23147465/

Dempsey aims for Fulham scoring record

May 22 2011 by The People

CLINT DEMPSEY has another record in sight as Fulham aim to pile more misery on Arsenal.

The American winger is the Cottagers' all-time top scorer in the Premier League – and if he nets today he will equal Louis Saha's best of 13 in a season for the club.

Dempsey expects to see out his contract, which runs until 2013, despite being eyed by Paris Saint-Germain.

"We've finished the season well and it's great to be up in the top half, but we could have been even higher if we'd picked up a few results earlier," he said.

Manager Mark Hughes has warned the Gunners his side are ready to end the season on a high, thanks to their aerial prowess.

"Heading is part of our game, and our percentage of goals from set plays is high – its as high as it's ever been," Hughes said.

White Noise

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/football-hotline/2011/05/22/fulham-eye-mexican-striker-pedroza-whitham-102039-23147572/

Fulham eye Mexican striker Pedroza Whitham

May 22 2011 by Dean Jones, The People

FULHAM have made the first move to sign Mexican sensation Pedroza Whitham.

The striker, 20, is so good he is already being labelled as the next Little Pea, after Manchester United's Javier Hernandez.

The English FA are scrambling to sign up the Chester-born frontman as a future Three Lions recruit, as his mother is English.

Whitham plays for Jaguares de Chiapas, in Mexico, but Fulham sounded out his represenatives this week about bringing him to London

White Noise

Arsenal stars must start repaying Arsene Wenger's faith in them, says Mark Hughes

Published 22:55 21/05/11

By Wally Downes Jr

Mark Hughes wants Arsenal's ­players to start ­repaying the faith that boss Arsene Wenger has shown in them to ­appease their restless fans.

Hughes' Fulham host the Gunners ­today in what will be the end of Arsenal's sixth straight season without a ­trophy.

The barren run has forced Brazilian ­midfielder Denilson to demand a move away from the ­Emirates, but Hughes feels that his French counterpart is being let down by his ­players.

Hughes said: "The fans understand the road that Arsene and the club want to take.

"It has proved ­successful and I'd suggest he is given time to enjoy the fruits of his labours.

"He has invested a lot of time into ­players that now need to start producing trophies.

"He has given huge commitment to those players and it is up to them."

Wenger's side have conceded the highest ­percentage of headed goals in the ­Premier League.

With ­Fulham on the verge of finishing seventh – their best ever top-flight finish – Hughes is ready to exploit the north London side's defensive ­deficiencies.

Brede Hangeland – a reported target for Arsenal last summer – scored from two ­set-pieces against Birmingham last week and could haunt his old suitors today.

Hughes said: "We have assets in the team that it would be stupid to ignore.

"We have guys that like to attack the ball in the box.

"If we put the ball in the right area, then we have the potential to score and we will exploit that if we can."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-Arsenal-stars-must-start-repaying-Arsene-Wengers-faith-in-them-says-Mark-Hughes-article738770.html#ixzz1N3sVweaZ

White Noise

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2011/5/21/2183193/arsenal-h

Arsenal (h)

by Kristian Balkin on May 21, 2011 9:25 PM BST

Quite sadly, the end of the 2010/11 Premier League season is about to be bestowed upon us tomorrow afternoon. There's probably no better send off, however, then one last opportunity to hush the critics yet again and cruise past a below par Arsenal side.

Arsenal, of course, have been one of the most consistent clubs in English football in recent history, rarely falling out of the Champions League places and always providing some sort of title challenge, albeit weaker ones of late. No doubt, then, that their success falls completely onto the shoulders of manager Arsène Wenger who has mastered a story of both achievement and sustainability with a young team that produce such wizardry that the best in the world can only look on enviously.

It hasn't all been rosy at the Emirates recently, though, with a select few calling for the head of Wenger as his side yet again capitulated at the final hurdle. Quite who the Arsenal fans think can better such intelligence and wisdom is beyond me; the only fault Wenger possessing being an uncanny ability to argue with any question put forward to him.

Still, it doesn't stop the French manager from being under heavy pressure following a turn in form that even the likes of Birmingham and Blackpool may laugh at. And, it was, quite ironically, Birmingham that seemingly caused the spiral in confidence for Wenger's men. After a Carling Cup final defeat to the Blues, Arsenal have been knocked out of the Champions League and have dropped to fourth spot in the Premiership after a string of less-than-acceptable results. Wenger will be telling his boys to buck up or 'buck off' at Craven Cottage tomorrow as his side are threatened with the qualifying stages of next season's Champions League, which begins in August (although that's nothing on our potential season opener in June.) For that, Hughes needs to be wary.

In contrast, we enter the game in good form. A systematic hammering of Birmingham on their own turf last week would have gone a long way to extending some well healed egos after a weary start to the season. Hughes was almost a goner when Fulham entered the middle of the season in the drop zone, but an upturn in form reminiscent of Liverpool's has heaved us up to a very respectable eight place.

Earlier in the season, Wenger got the better of us in North London with a close 2-1 win. Nasri was spectacular in scoring one of the goals of the season when rounding 'keeper Mark Schwarzer with Messi-esque ease. In the Craven Cottage fixture last season, we were defeated 1-0.

On top of their poor form, Arsenal also have a concerning amount of injuries to take to South West London tomorrow. Cesc Fabregas will miss out and could be joined by Samir Nasri, Johan Djourou and Gael Clichy.

Simon Davies could return for the Cottagers, but Baird, a solid player throughout the season, is out thanks to suspension. Dembele and Duff won't feature.

Score Prediction: Fulham 2 - 2 Arsenal

Predicted Line-Up: Schwarzer; Salcido, Hughes, Hangeland, Senderos; Dempsey, Davies, Sidwell, Murphy; Zamora, Johnson.

White Noise

http://tribalfootball.com/articles/fulham-boss-hughes-coy-over-interest-espanyol-fullback-javi-chica-1647501

Fulham boss Hughes coy over interest for Espanyol fullback Javi Chica

22.05.11 | tribalfootball.com

Fulham boss Mark Hughes may shop in Spain for a new left-back.

Hughes flatly denied a move for Liverpool's Paul Konchesky was on the cards, although he was less clear in his response when asked about an interest in Espanyol left-back Javi Chica.

"We look at a number of games," he said after being spotted watching the Barcelona-based club.

"We won't highlight key positions but we have to look at our options.

"Obviously we have been aware of Carlos' situation for quite some time and we have managed it as well as we could.

"In fairness, he has managed it very well given the circumstances, being away from his family for long periods.

"That is credit to him but we might possibly have to look at other alternatives."

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en/news/14/asia/2011/05/22/2497773/australian-veteran-mark-schwarzer-wants-to-play-at-2014

Australian veteran Mark Schwarzer wants to play at 2014 World Cup

No thoughts of retirement for Fulham's evergreen Socceroo who has his eyes firmly transfixed on playing in Brazil in 2014

By Ben Somerford

May 22, 2011 4:00:00 AM

Tireless Australian goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer says he is keen to play at the 2014 World Cup despite the fact he'll be 41 by the time the tournament comes around.

Schwarzer, 38, has arguably been in career best form for Premier League club Fulham this campaign, making 30 appearances in all competitions.

Australia's most capped player told The Weekend Australian he believes he can play on until the 2014 World Cup and isn't thinking about retirement anytime soon.

"I am feeling great. Why not?" said Schwarzer. "I don't want to jinx myself and I am not naive because a lot of things can change very quickly between now and then, especially physically and form wise.

"I have learned to be a bit more cautious. But I would be lying if I said Brazil isn't part of my plans."

Schwarzer said the example of veteran goalkeepers in the Premier League such as Manchester United's Edwin van der Sar proved his career could continue for some years yet.

"It's inevitable that my age is brought up," said Schwarzer. "The thing is, it seems more of an issue in Australia.

"It is not brought up over here [in England]. People look at the likes of Edwin van der Sar and [Aston Villa's] Brad Friedel. They are both 40 and still at the top of their game. People respect that.

"If I had listened to some people in Australia I would have retired four years ago from the national team. It is a very personal decision. Once you are retired, that's it.

"Playing is such an amazing experience and I want to make the most of it. I don't want any regrets later by asking myself 'Did I do the right thing or not'."

White Noise

http://tribalfootball.com/articles/fulham-ponder-making-swap-offer-palace-striker-zaha-1647731

Fulham ponder making swap offer for Palace striker Zaha

22.05.11 | tribalfootball.com

Fulham hope to set up a swap deal for Crystal Palace striker Wilfried Zaha.

The London Evening Standard says Fulham want to sign Crystal Palace teenager Zaha in exchange for midfielder Kagisho Dikgacoi and a cash adjustment.

Dikgacoi, 26, made only one appearance for Fulham this season but was a big hit at Palace, where he made 13 starts and hit the only goal in a crucial 1-0 win over Cardiff.

Both Fulham and Liverpool have been tracking Zaha's progress since the 18-year-old winger played for England Under-19s against Germany in February.

White Noise

The 'News of the World' is today reporting that Roy is looking to make a £2 million move for Mark Schwarzer as soon as the transfer window opens as 'competition or Scott Carson'.