watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (21.05.11)

Started by White Noise, May 20, 2011, 08:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/05/20/europa-league-could-hand-kagisho-dikgacoi-fulham-lifeline-82029-28734412/

Europa League could hand Kagisho Dikgacoi Fulham lifeline

By Jacob Murtagh

May 20 2011

KAGISHO Dikgacoi's Fulham future hinges on whether the Whites qualify for the Europa League.

The South African midfielder, who still has a year left on his contract, has threatened to quit Craven Cottage unless he's guaranteed first-team football after spending this season out in the cold.

However, boss Mark Hughes has warned the 26-year-old he faces a fight to force his way into his plans next campaign.

But Sparky admitted he would have to draw on his whole squad if Fulham were handed a back door into Europe through the Fair Play league, which could give Dikgacoi, who spent the second half of the season on loan at Crystal Palace, a lifeline.

He said: "I can't guarantee anyone first-team football week in, week out – he has to understand that.

"When I got the job he was out injured, so I didn't have the opportunity to see him.

"He needs to come back and reintegrate himself in the summer. If we get European football he'll be a part of that."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/05/20/europa-league-could-hand-kagisho-dikgacoi-fulham-lifeline-82029-28734412/#ixzz1MvGVymhN

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_6942428,00.html

Hughes eyeing seventh heaven

Boss praises Cottagers side who could finish seventh in top flight

Last Updated: May 20, 2011 5:35pm

Hughes: Hailed the massive turnaround in his side

Mark Hughes has hailed his players as Fulham go into Sunday's clash against Arsenal with a chance of finishing seventh in the top flight.

Improved form in the second half of the season has seen the Cottagers rise to eighth in the table, three points behind seventh-placed Everton.

If Fulham beat the Gunners and the Toffees lose to Chelsea, they will equal their best-ever top-flight finish.

While Hughes has regularly aired his belief that the Cottagers are a top-10 side, even he admits he has been surprised by his squad's achievements.

"We have had a massive turnaround in the second half of the season and I always anticipated we would."

Mark Hughes

Quotes of the week

"We have had a massive turnaround in the second half of the season and I always anticipated we would," he said.

"We knew that key personnel would return like Bobby (Zamora) and Andy Johnson, who had missed a lot of games and was only just getting back to full fitness.

"We always said we would be strong in the second half but probably we even exceed our expectations in the second half.

"We have been really strong and really enjoyed it. We have played some great football, got plenty of points and done really well."

Personal pride
Asked whether he takes any personal pride after the turnaround, he added: "I think so. Obviously I am the figurehead of the club but it is more about the recognition my staff get.

"At times we are a little but under the radar and we just go about our business quite quietly.

"It is only towards the end of the season when people think: 'Oh, goodness me, Fulham have actually done quite well this year'.

"It is not about personal recognition, I've had plenty of that in my career.

"It is about making sure that the staff get the recognition they deserve because without them I can't do my job."

Hughes was also quick to laud his players' attitude - an attribute that some have suggested is lacking at Sunday's opponents Arsenal.

The Gunners head into the final match of the season on the back of a run that has seen them win just twice in their past 12 matches.

"I am a little but surprised by the way they have tailed off," said Hughes. "At one point they could have won four trophies.

"I think it has been mentioned in the media this week that the Carling Cup final affected them markedly and they haven't seemed to recover from that for whatever reason.

Potential

"But they have still got the potential to create chances and win Premier League games.

"They are an outstanding team on their day. I know recent results have not gone as they would like but within that run they still had the ability to beat Manchester United.

"That tells you that they are a very good team and if they are focused and the intensity of their play is there then they are very difficult to overcome."

Much of the blame for Arsenal's poor form has been apportioned to the club's inability to bring in a top quality goalkeeper during the summer.

Fulham keeper Mark Schwarzer was targeted to shore up the position but a move to the Emirates Stadium never came to fruition.

Asked whether Hughes was surprised Arsenal did not come back with a better bid, Hughes said: "Well they could probably have not worked any harder [to get him] but the intention was to keep Mark and that is what happened.

"Their situation in regards to their goalkeeper is not something that really interests me now because the focus they had on my keeper has gone away now because we protected our position.

"That is important and was important for Mark at the time, that we showed the commitment that we had as a club and myself as the manager and we are delighted with that.

"It only in the past few years that they haven't won trophies and as a consequence more people question the decisions that are made or aren't made and that is what Arsene (Wenger) is facing at the moment."

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/may/20/squad-sheets-fulham-arsenal

Squad sheets: Fulham v Arsenal

Guardian.co.uk, Friday 20 May 2011 18.10

The battle for seventh is not one the hype-merchants have been getting excited about, but it means a lot to Mark Hughes. Beat Arsenal and Fulham could leapfrog Everton and equal their highest ever Premier League finish, thereby enabling Hughes to prove that he has successfully replaced Roy Hodgson. In addition, Hughes has introduced a spirit of adventure into Fulham's play that was not always there under his predecessor, which means this match could be one of the most entertaining of the weekend, especially as Arsenal will be looking to win in order to climb back above Manchester City and avoid the Champions League qualifying-round next season. Paul Doyle

Venue Craven Cottage, Sunday 4pm

Tickets Sold out

Last season Fulham 0 Arsenal 1

Referee M Atkinson

This season's matches 25 Y89, R6, 3.65 cards per game

Odds Fulham 11-4 Arsenal 17-20 Draw 12-5

Fulham v Arsenal: Probable starters in bold, contenders in light. Photograph: Graphic

Fulham
Subs from Stockdale, Hughes, Etheridge, Kelly, Briggs, Riise, Halliche, Greening, E Johnson, Dikgacoi, Gera, Kakuta

Doubtful None

Injured Duff (achilles, Aug), Kamara (back, unknown), Dembélé (knee, unknown)

Suspended Baird (one) Form guide WLWWDL

Disciplinary record Y51 R0

Leading scorer Dempsey 12

Arsenal
Subs from Alumnia, Lehmann, Diaby, Djourou, Koscielny, Rosicky, Eboué, Gibbs, Denilson, Bendtner, Song, Chamakh Doubtful Clichy (hamstring), Nasri (hamstring), Diaby (calf), Djourou (ankle), Koscielny (thigh), Rosicky (thigh) Injured Fábregas (thigh, Jun), Fabianski (shoulder op, Aug), Bartley (knee, unknown), Eastmond (ankle, unknown), Mannone (thigh, unknown)

Suspended None Form guide LLWLDD

Disciplinary record Y66 R6

Leading scorer Van Persie 17

Match pointers

• None of Fulham's nine home games against Arsenal in the Premier League have ended as a draw

• The visitors have scored exactly four goals on the final day in three of the last five seasons

• Fulham have never drawn a Premier League game on the final day of the season

• Robin van Persie has scored as many top-flight goals in 2011 as the entire Blackburn squad put together

• A total of 12 goals have been scored from corners at Craven Cottage this season, a divisional high

White Noise

Arsenal Preview

Friday 20th May 2011

Fulham go into the final game of the season on Sunday in the knowledge that should they record a win over Arsenal and Everton lose in their encounter with Chelsea, Fulham will finish in seventh position – equalling the Whites' highest ever league finish.

However, speaking on Friday afternoon, Mark Hughes highlighted the quality of Sunday's opponents.

"They still have the potential to create chances and win Premier League games because they are an outstanding Premier League team on their day," explained the Fulham Manager. "I know that recent results wouldn't have gone how they would have liked, but they still have the ability to beat Manchester United. That tells you that they are a very good team and if they focus, and the intensity to their play is there, then they are very difficult to overcome."

Fulham's upturn in form since the New Year has certainly made many take notice, but as Hughes always maintained, he knew his side had the ability to push on in the second half of the season.

"I think that in the circumstances, when we look back at the season, there was a reason that I came here," he said. "I knew that there was good players here, there was a base and there was the possibility to work with a good group of players and maybe take them up a level in terms of their play in the Premier League.

"The ambition is obviously to be a side which is consistently in the top 10 finishers and I looked at the squad that was in place and I thought that we had the potential to do that.

"Obviously, we were affected by injuries and that made it really difficult and people had to be calm at the right time. I had great support from Alistair Mackintosh and our Chairman and that enabled us, and enabled me, to keep on working at the level I knew that I needed to. We came through a difficult period."

Hughes is also looking forward to welcoming Simon Davies back to the squad after the Welsh winger participated in full training on Friday.

"Mousa Dembele is missing again, he has just got a slight problem with his knee, a little bit of irritation, which we will investigate this week," Hughes said. "There is no concern, he doesn't need an operation, it's a biomechanical thing which has irritated the knee.

"We will get that resolved but obviously in the meantime he is not available. Simon Davies has trained today and he should be an option for us and Duff is obviously out for us as well."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/May/HughesArsenalPreview.aspx#ixzz1MvJu98hl

White Noise

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-23952065-fulham-target-crystal-palace-gem.do

Fulham target Crystal Palace gem

Ian Gibb

20 May 2011

Fulham want to sign Crystal Palace teenager Wilfried Zaha in exchange for midfielder Kagisho Dikgacoi and a cash adjustment.

Dikgacoi, 26, made only one appearance for Fulham this season but was a big hit at Palace, where he made 13 starts and hit the only goal in a crucial 1-0 win over Cardiff.

Both Fulham and Liverpool have been tracking Zaha's progress since the 18-year-old winger played for England Under-19s against Germany in February.

Palace are reluctant to let go of Zaha but want Dikgacoi to come on a permanent deal, worth around £2.5million.

White Noise

http://www.fanhouse.co.uk/2011/05/20/fulham-v-arsenal-preview-arsene-wenger-desperate-for-stylish-fi/

Fulham v Arsenal Preview: Arsene Wenger Desperate for Stylish Finale

20/5/2011 7:58 AM GMT

By Jon West

PREMIER LEAGUE: CRAVEN COTTAGE, SUNDAY MAY 22, 2011. KICK-OFF: 1600 BST

Though the trophies have long been distributed elsewhere, suddenly Arsenal need to win this one - and even if they do they could end up being disappointed.

Following last week's lacklustre home defeat at the hands of Aston Villa, Manchester City have now taken third place in the Premier League table - and should the Gunners remain in fourth then they will have to play in the qualifiers for next season's Champions League group stage.

Some very patchy form since the Carling Cup was surrendered in the final to Birmingham is the reason for that and Arsene Wenger's side must now end this season as it did last term, by beating Fulham.

Their west London neighbours also have European qualification on their minds as a surprise return to the Europa League, which saw them end as beaten finalists last season, is on the cards through the Fair Play league, though the final places as far as that table is concerned will take some working out even after the final whistle of the season.

Fulham qualified for the Europa League the last time by finishing seventh and although there is no Europa League place for that position this time, that is where they will end up if they win and Everton lose.

Key Match-up: Brede Hangeland v Robin van Persie. With 20 goals in his last 22 games, van Persie is in hot form, even if Arsenal are not. Hangeland will be detailed to stop him - and cause havoc from set-pieces at the other end, as he did twice at Birmingham last week.

Form Guide: Fulham have won three of their last four, beating Bolton, Sunderland and Birmingham but were soundly beaten by Liverpool. Arsenal have won just three games in all competitions since the Carling Cup final loss on February 27.

Odds: Fulham 3/1, Arsenal 10/11, draw 13/5

FULHAM:

All eyes will be on Fulham's former Gunner Philippe Senderos, who insists he has nothing to prove to Arsene Wenger for declaring him surplus to requirements at the Emirates Stadium.

The Switzerland defender did make more than 100 appearances for the Gunners but moved across the capital following loan spells with AC Milan and Everton. An Achilles injury delayed his Fulham bow but the 26-year-old is set to play following impressive performances alongside Hangeland.

"I had some great years at Arsenal," he declared. "I won the title, the Cup and made the Champions League. I owe a lot to Arsenal and Arsene Wenger, who brought me over from Switzerland to play in the Champions League for one of the best clubs in the world.

"So I don't have anything to prove but I'd like to prove to myself that I can play in the Premier League."

Strategy: Curiously, Fulhamm have gone from the best-behaved side in the Premier League with just 40 matches in 35 games to one of the worst, with ten yellow cards picked up in the last two games.

That could enable another club to take that Fair Play place from them, although Spurs will qualify for the competition by finishing fifth if they finish ahead of Liverpool anyway.

Blackpool could pip them in theory as well so will manager Mark Hughes instruct his players to take it easy against the Gunners? Somehow that seems unlikely.

Injury Update: Damien Duff and Diomansy Kamara are injured while Chris Baird is suspended. Simon Davies should return after a calf problem.

ARSENAL:

Arsenal players must prove they are fit to wear the red and white shirt. Who says so? Not a disgruntled fan but Wenger himself as the Gunners are left hoping for news of a Bolton win on the final day.

"It is not over and we have to fight until the last minute of the season to show that we are good enough to wear the shirt of this club," the Frenchman declared somewhat long-windedly.

"What motivates me is the desire to win and to be strong and successful in what I do. That is what has motivated me my whole life. A man and a player who can take care of the future is a responsible man.

"For us to take care of the future is to absolutely give the maximum to get into the top three. There is no way, at this moment, we can say 'OK, the season is over'."

Strategy: Given that Jack Wilshere will be appearing for his country in the European Under-21 Championship finals next week against his manager's wishes, it would be no surprise if Wenger decided the teenager needed to be rested.

But with Cesc Fabregas out injured, Wenger does not have a full range of options as his disposal anyway so needs probably must.

"I have heard that he has been picked," Wenger said of Wilshere. "We have to accept and respect the choice even if I think it is the wrong decision. Jack Wilshere has been in the red for a while now and this can be a risk for his health.

"He knows that he is nearly at the end of his energy level but he is keen to do well."

Injury Update: Fabregas may not be the only high-profile absentee as Samir Nasri, Gael Clichy and Abou Diaby all face fitness tests.

White Noise

http://www.hackneygazette.co.uk/football/arsenal/arsenal_want_european_place_but_maybe_fulham_don_t_1_897322

Arsenal want European place, but maybe Fulham don't

By Ian Cooper

Friday, May 20, 2011
2:19 PM

Gunners' hosts on Sunday could qualify through back door of Uefa's mystifying Fair Play league

THE words 'Europa League' have seemingly become the most unpopular in Premier League vocabulary recently, and Fulham are the latest club to voice their displeasure at the prospect of playing in next season's competition.

With Tottenham the occupants of fifth-place in the Premier League, and accordingly on course for that Europa League spot, Fulham are also in line to qualify thanks to their second-place position behind Spurs in the Premier League Fair Play table.

However, that would see the Cottagers begin their campaign on June 30 – 39 days after the current season ends – in the first round qualifiers.

For Mark Hughes, who replaced Roy Hodgson as Fulham boss at the start of the season, European football so soon before the domestic campaign would present an unwelcome distraction, the manager only recently admitting he was looking forward to spending pre-season working on his squad, a chance he didn't have last season.

Hughes has done a creditable job in his first season with the Cottagers, his side currently sitting eighth in the Premier League after recent impressive wins at Birmingham and Sunderland.

They host Arsenal on the back of a heavy defeat in their last home game to Liverpool, but that result was an anomaly, with Fulham having previously not lost there in the league since December.

Hughes's side is sprinkled with players of quality, from veteran Mark Schwarzer in goal, through a defence containing centre-back Brede Hangeland, once an Arsenal target, and Mexico international left-back Carlos Salcido.

Danny Murphy and Steve Sidwell anchor a three-man midfield, with Clint Dempsey and Simon Davies the wide men supporting either Bobby Zamora or Andy Johnson up front.

Fulham will want to end their home campaign on a high and, with little riding on the match, 
expect them to play with the shackles off and pose Arsenal plenty of problems.

Prediction: Fulham 2 Arsenal 2

White Noise

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/fulham-fc-ealing/2011/05/20/hughes-can-manage-chelsea-or-manchester-united-hoddle-64767-28727610/

Hughes can manage Chelsea or Manchester United - Hoddle

May 20 2011

By Paul Warburton

WHAT Mark Hughes does next at Fulham will decide whether he will manage the likes of Manchester United or Chelsea one day – according to Glenn Hoddle.

The former England boss made Sparky one of his last player signings when Hod was in charge at Stamford Bridge, and has monitored his progress ever since.

Hughes insisted he was happy at Craven Cottage this week, but a man who knows him is only too aware Fulham's boss is ambitious.

Hoddle said: "Assuming Mark wants it in the first place – to attain the next step with somebody like Manchester United or Chelsea depends on the next step he takes at Fulham.

"Do the club stick or twist and go for something more ambitious, especially when you see how much clubs like Man City or Tottenham spent just to try and get fourth place?

"Or does Mark need to look at the way Fulham play? Does he go even more adventurous perhaps? And does he buys one or two more players?"

Hughes was courted twice by Fulham last summer as successor to Roy Hodgson.

At first, the former Manchester City boss rejected the approach. But when Martin Jol stuck with Ajax, Fulham finally persuaded Sparky their ambitions matched his.

But Hoddle is sure clubs like Aston Villa are monitoring Hughes's progress with the Whites.

He said: "There's no doubt in my mind, people are looking at him to see whether he can take Fulham higher. But to achieve this he needs a better and stronger squad and no key players out for a period of time – like Bobby Zamora this season.

"In my book, Mark certainly has the capabilities to manage at the top."

Hoddle is due to manage a team in Football 40 – a legends tournament at Craven Cottage on Sunday week, May 29th, kick-off 3pm involving sides from Chelsea, Fulham, Arsenal and Spurs.

More than 70 top players including Pat Nevin, Kerry Dixon, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Tor Andre Flo, Franco Zola, Geoff Horsfield, Andy Melville, Chris Coleman – and Roy Hodgson in a managerial capacity are set to appear.

White Noise

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/fulham-fc-ealing/2011/05/20/fulham-boss-sets-sights-on-summer-signings-82029-28733130/

Fulham boss sets sights on summer signings

May 20 2011

By Jacob Murtagh

MARK Hughes wants to qualify for the Europa League to help Fulham's summer recruitment drive.

The Whites go into Sunday's game with Arsenal in pole position to secure a spot in Europe through the Fair Play League.

Hughes wants to add a couple of players to his squad in the close season, and admits the lure of European football could boost his chances of landing his targets.

He said: "We are okay with numbers, so if we can add some quality we will try and do that.

"If you are trying to attract players from Europe and around the world and can offer them European football it's an added advantage.

"It's important to players and could be the difference between getting a good player or not.

"If we present a good case for each player I would like to bring in and the figures add up I am sure the finances will be available."

White Noise

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/05/20/fulham-boss-snubs-west-brom-s-interest-in-andy-johnson-82029-28733366/

Fulham boss snubs West Brom's interest in Andy Johnson

By Jacob Murtagh

May 20 2011

MARK Hughes has rubbished rumours linking Andy Johnson with a move away from Craven Cottage.

The Fulham frontman is a summer target for West Brom, but Whites boss Hughes insists the former England striker is staying put in SW6.

He said: "AJ's under contract here and we have no intention of selling him.

"He's playing well now after his injury and the end of the season has probably come too soon for him."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/05/20/fulham-boss-snubs-west-brom-s-interest-in-andy-johnson-82029-28733366/#ixzz1MvNPf3dF

White Noise

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/patience-pays-off-for-cottagers-midfielder-

Patience pays off for Cottagers midfielder

Fulham – Jonathan Greening has been biding his time

By Paul Bailey  May 20, 2011

Greening has been working hard all season. (©PAphotos)Picture GalleryNew

Fulham midfielder Jonathan Greening highlighted the depth of squad at manager Mark Hughes' disposal, after turning in an influential display last weekend.

Making only his fifth start of the campaign, Greening played a starring role in the Cottagers away trip to Birmingham City, helping them to a second successive away win after a convincing 2-0 victory at St Andrews.

"I haven't played for quite a while and it was a bit of a surprise when my name came up in the team meeting before the game," he said.

"I didn't have a clue I was playing until a hour and a half before kick-off. It was nice to get out on the pitch, I just thought I'd try and enjoy myself, get a few touches of the ball and luckily for me I did all right.

"It was a good team performance and a good away win at a tough place to go."

Greening is relishing being back in the first team fold, and is hoping his recent performance will give him a fighting chance of inclusion when Fulham take on Arsenal at Craven Cottage on Sunday.

"I've been training well all year, just waiting for my chance. I didn't get as many chances as I wanted but I waited patiently and I got my chance. It was nice to get a game but I just wish there were a few more games left in the season.

"I know Mousa (Dembele) and Simon Davies might be back for the next match and they're two quality players, so it will be up to the gaffer to make the decision.

"If I can do another good job then great, if not I'll go back to the bench and keep working hard."

White Noise

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/fulham-fc-ealing/2011/05/20/simon-davies-hands-fulham-fitness-boost-ahead-of-arsenal-clash-82029-28733384/

Simon Davies hands Fulham fitness boost ahead of Arsenal clash

May 20 2011

By Jacob Murtagh

Fulham v Arsenal

FULHAM are boosted by the return of Simon Davies for Sunday's clash at Craven Cottage.

The Welsh winger missed last weekend's win at Birmingham with a calf problem, but returned to training today.

However, Mousa Dembele is still sidelined with a knee problem, while Damien Duff is also out.

The Whites could finish seventh if results go their way, and boss Mark Hughes insists his side's performances after the turn of the year has exceeded his expectations.

He said: "It's been a massive turnaround in the second-half of the season.

"We always anticipated we would improve with the return of key personnel like Bobby [Zamora] and Andy Johnson.

"We've been really strong and have exceeded our own expectations."

White Noise

FULHAM v Arsenal: Moussa Dembele joins Chris Baird and Damien Duff on the sidelines

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 3:31 PM on 20th May 2011

Moussa Dembele has been ruled out of Fulham's final Barclays Premier League game of the season against Arsenal.

The 23-year-old will miss the Craven Cottage clash with a knee irritation, although the west Londoners will be boosted by Simon Davies' return to action after a calf injury.

Struggle: Dembele (left) has had a tough first season in the Premier League

Northern Ireland full-back Chris Baird serves the second game of a two-match ban and Damien Duff is out with an achilles injury.

Provisional squad: Schwarzer, Hangeland, Senderos, Hughes, Salcido, Etuhu, Davies, Murphy, Sidwell, Greening, Dempsey, Zamora, Johnson, Stockdale, Kelly, Gudjohnsen, Kakuta, Gera.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1389171/FULHAM-v-Arsenal-Moussa-Dembele-joins-Chris-Baird-Damien-Duff-sidelines.html#ixzz1MvPba6pG

White Noise

Mark Hughes makes Carlos Salcido admission

By Jacob Murtagh

May 20 2011

MARK Hughes admits defender Carlos Salcido could leave Fulham in the summer.

The wantaway left-back has failed to settle in London since his switch from PSV Eindhoven last year, with his family moving back to Mexico following a robbery at their home in the capital.

And boss Hughes admits they may be forced to let the 31-year-old quit Craven Cottage.

He said: "The situation is his family haven't been able to settle. There was a robbery at his home and his family have gone back to Mexico.

"Carlos has got that to deal with but hopefully the club resolve it to a positive conclusion in terms of him being able to stay.

"If that still is a problem he may have to look at his options back home. We understand that.

"We have to protect our own position. There's a lot of dialogue going on but it's up in the air at the moment."

The Whites manager has been linked with a string of left-backs should Salcido depart, but insists Paul Konchesky is not on his list of targets.

Hughes added: "We have to look at alternatives."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/05/20/mark-hughes-makes-carlos-salcido-admission-82029-28734549/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter#ixzz1MvdTyGnN

White Noise

Fulham v ARSENAL: Samir Nasri amongst trio in contention to return

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 11:58 AM on 20th May 2011

Arsenal will hand late fitness tests to midfielders Samir Nasri (hamstring) and Abou Diaby (calf) as well as full-back Gael Clichy (hamstring) ahead of Sunday's Barclays Premier League trip to Fulham.

Tomas Rosicky (thigh), Johan Djourou (ankle) and Laurent Koscielny (thigh) will also be assessed, having missed last week's home defeat by Aston Villa.

Gunner return? Samir Nasri has been missing since the 1-0 win over Manchester United at the start of the month

Captain Cesc Fabregas, however, remains sidelined by a thigh problem.

Team (from): Szczesny, Gibbs, Squillaci, Vermaelen, Sagna, Arshavin, Song, Ramsey, Wilshere, Walcott, van Persie, Lehmann, Chamakh, Bendtner, Denilson, Eboue, Nasri, Diaby, Clichy, Rosicky, Djourou, Koscielny.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1389078/Fulham-v-ARSENAL-Samir-Nasri-trio-contention-return.html#ixzz1MveGLE69

White Noise

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/football/news/article/-/9489310/hughes-delighted-with-fulham-performance-this-season/

Hughes delighted with Fulham performance this season

tribalfootball.com

May 21, 2011, 7:07 am

Fulham boss Mark Hughes admits the performance of his squad this term has exceeded all expectations.

The Cottagers sit eighth on the league table with just Sunday's clash with Arsenal remaining and their Welsh manager has heaped praise on the playing group for producing a season, particularly the second half, to be proud of.

"We have had a massive turnaround in the second half of the season and I always anticipated we would," he said.

"We knew that key personnel would return like Bobby (Zamora) and Andy Johnson, who had missed a lot of games and was only just getting back to full fitness.

"We always said we would be strong in the second half but probably we even exceed our expectations in the second half.

"We have been really strong and really enjoyed it. We have played some great football, got plenty of points and done really well."

Fulham have lost just five of their last 19 matches after losing six in 11 prior to the New Year and Hughes has put a lot if down to the hard work done behind the scenes.

"At times we are a little but under the radar and we just go about our business quite quietly," he added.

"It is only towards the end of the season when people think: 'Oh, goodness me, Fulham have actually done quite well this year'.

"It is about making sure that the staff get the recognition they deserve because without them I can't do my job."

White Noise

http://www.soccerway.com/news/2011/May/20/hughes-set-to-sign-new-deal-with-fulham/

Hughes set to sign new deal with Fulham

20 May 2011

Fulham manager Mark Hughes will sit down with the club to discuss a new deal in the summer, ending speculation he could move on. Fulham manager Mark Hughes will sit down with the club to discuss a new deal in the summer, ending speculation he could move on.

The former Manchester City boss has taken the Cottagers from relegation candidates to the brink of their best ever top-flight finish and that has attracted a number of clubs.

But Hughes is focussed on continuing his work at Craven Cottage.

"I've been speaking to the club for a number of weeks but we have not actually sat down and discussed the fine details of it," Hughes said.

"Conversations have taken place and I am sure we will get where we want to get."

"What I have been trying to reaffirm to everybody is that I am very happy here."

"I have a good support network that allows me to do my job well and that is not something you walk away quickly from."

On the subject of Sunday's opponents, Hughes has pinpointed the moment he thinks Arsenal went from quadruple contenders to Premier League also-rans but he is aware of the threat they still pose.

"The League Cup final affected them and they haven't seemed to have recovered from that," Hughes said.

"They still have the potential to create chances and win Premier League games. I know in recent weeks results haven't gone their way but they still had the ability to beat Manchester United."

The final game of the season could give Hughes the chance to prove to striker Andrew Johnson, who has been linked with a move away in the summer, that he still has a future at the club.

"He is contracted to the club and Andy is playing really well now," Hughes said.

"The end of the season has probably come too soon for him because he is probably looking as sharp as I have seen him."

One striker that will not be featuring is Mousa Dembele who has been ruled out of the final game with a knee injury but midfielder Simon Davies has a chance of playing after recovering from a calf injury and making a successful return to training after missing the win over Birmingham.

Damien Duff is ruled out with a knee complaint.

White Noise

Fulham "have exceeded all expections" says Hughes

Published 17:21 20/05/11

By MirrorFootball

Fulham manager Mark Hughes admits his side have exceeded all expectations as they head into this weekend's game against Arsenal with a chance of finishing seventh in the Barclays Premier League.

The Cottagers endured a poor start to the campaign and were flirting with relegation at the turn of the year, leading to speculation that Hughes could lose his job.

However, Fulham's form in the second half of the season has been nothing less than outstanding and they head into Sunday's match with a chance of sneaking into the top seven.

If the Cottagers beat Arsenal and Everton lose to Chelsea they will equal their best-ever top-flight finish.

While Hughes has regularly aired his belief that the Cottagers are a top-10 side, even he admits he has been surprised by his side's achievements.

Asked whether he takes any personal pride after the turnaround, he added: "I think so. Obviously I am the figurehead of the club but it is more about the recognition my staff get.

"At times we are a little but under the radar and we just go about our business quite quietly.

Hughes was also quick to laud his players' attitude - an attribute that some have suggested is lacking at Sunday's opponents Arsenal.

The Gunners head into the final match of the season on the back of a run that has seen them win just twice in their past 12 matches.

"I am a little but surprised by the way they have tailed off," said Hughes. "At one point they could have won four trophies.

"I think it has been mentioned in the media this week that the Carling Cup final affected them markedly and they haven't seemed to recovered from that for whatever reason.

"But they have still got the potential to create chances and win Premier League games.

"They are an outstanding team on their day. I know recent results have not gone as they would like but within that run they still had the ability to beat Manchester United.

"That tells you that they are a very good team and if they are focused and the intensity of their play is there then they are very difficult to overcome."

Much of the blame for Arsenal's poor form has been apportioned to the club's inability to bring in a top quality goalkeeper during the summer.

Fulham keeper Mark Schwarzer was one of targeted to sure up the position but a move to the Emirates Stadium never came to fruition.

Asked whether Hughes was surprised Arsenal did not come back with a better bid, Hughes said: "Well they could probably have not worked any harder [to get him] but the intention was to keep Mark and that is what happened.

"Their situation in regards to their goalkeeper is not something that really interests me now because the focus they had on my keeper has gone away now because we protected our position.

"That is important and was important for Mark at the time, that we showed the commitment that we had as a club and myself as the manager and we are delighted with that.

"It only in the past few years that they haven't won trophies and as a consequence more people question the decisions that are made or aren't made and that is what Arsene (Wenger) is facing at the moment."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-manager-Mark-Hughes-feels-his-side-have-exceeded-all-expectations-by-recovering-from-poor-start-to-the-season-article738660.html#ixzz1MvlhABEF

White Noise

http://fulham.theoffside.com/match-preview/match-preview-arsenal-h.html

Match Preview: Arsenal (h)

By: Sam | May 20th, 2011

Fulham's last game of the season will see Arsenal at Craven Cottage. Arsenal, in their previous five away outings, have won just once. Fulham, in their last five home games however, have only lost once. That comparison bodes well for the Cottagers to finish off the season in the top 10.

Perhaps in 7th place, too. If neighbours Chelsea beat Everton tomorrow while Fulham possibly beat Arsenal, then we'll see Fulham finish in 7th place – the position they secured in the 2008/09 season and the highest position in the top flight history of the club.

In saying that, Fulham haven't beaten a team in the top 4 this season. It was close in February when Chelsea's David Luiz gave away a penalty in the final minutes with the game at 0-0. But, alas, Clint Dempsey, who won the penalty, couldn't convert.

Arsenal will likely line up with 4-2-3-1 and Fulham 4-4-2. A test for Fulham will be the battles in midfield. The prospect of Arsenal's Jack Wilshere-Aaron Ramsey meeting Danny Murphy-Steve Sidwell in the centre of midfield is something to look forward to as each pair are part of teams that enjoy holding possession and press for the ball when out of possession. Fulham may be more direct in the approach to win the ball back – which has resulted in 10 yellow cards over two games – and there is a the prediction that Arsenal stumble against more physical teams.

Just as interesting could be who plays left-midfield for Fulham. Simon Davies looks likely to start after returning to fitness after a slight injury. But you wonder if Jonathan Greening will be given another game. Greening made a handful of substitute appearances during this season and was on the fringes of first-team football. But against Birmingham last Sunday he was given a call-up to the first 11. He took the chance well and produced some silky skills and fine crosses – his first corner-kick superbly found Brede Hangeland who headed it in.

Hangeland scored from a (Jimmy Bullard) cross in Fulham's last victory over Arsenal in 2008. Since then Fulham have a poor record against Arsenal with occassional performances very tight – notably this season's 2-1 at the Emirates where it took two goals from the crafty Samir Nasri to get the three points for Arsenal. But since losing in the Carling Cup Final Arsenal have been in free-fall and the feeling is that this is the best moment to find a win against Arsenal and Fulham's last chance to get a win over a top 4 side this season.

White Noise

http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/2011/05/20/Preview-Fulham-v-Arsenal-Sun/gnid-95051/

Preview: Fulham v Arsenal (Sun)

by Setanta staff , 19 May 2011   

Arsenal must win their final game of the season if they are to have any chance of automatic Champions League qualification.

The Gunners trail Manchester City by a single point in the battle to finish third.

Fulham's home record this season, however, has been consistent and good. They have won eight and only lost four at Craven Cottage, with three of those wins coming in their last five home games. They are also in good form coming into this game, having only lost three of their last eight.

Arsenal's overall away form this season has been fantastic. They boast the best away form for any team this season, picking up 30 out of a possible 54 points so far. However, they have only won one of their last five away games, and only two of their last eight games overall.

Fulham have close to a full squad for Sunday's clash, but Moussa Dembele has been ruled out for the Cottagers a knee irritation. The West Londoners have some good news though in the recovery of Simon Davies from a calf injury, who should be fit to start the game.

Northern Irish full back Chris Baird is still suspended and winger Damien Duff remains out with an Achilles problem.

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger will be looking to play as strong a team, as a win on Sunday could prevent the Gunners from having to feature in a preliminary Champions League round.

There will be late fitness tests for midfielders Samir Nasri (hamstring) and Abou Diaby (calf) as well as full-back Gael Clichy (hamstring) ahead of the game.

Tomas Rosicky (thigh), Johan Djourou (ankle) and Laurent Koscielny (thigh) will also be assessed, having missed last week's home defeat by Aston Villa.

Captain Cesc Fabregas, however, remains sidelined by a thigh problem.

Teams:

Fulham (from): Schwarzer, Hangeland, Senderos, Hughes, Salcido, Etuhu, Davies, Murphy, Sidwell, Greening, Dempsey, Zamora, Johnson, Stockdale, Kelly, Gudjohnsen, Kakuta, Baird, Gera

Arsenal (from): Szczesny, Gibbs, Squillaci, Vermaelen, Sagna, Arshavin, Song, Ramsey, Wilshere, Walcott, van Persie, Lehmann, Chamakh, Bendtner, Denilson, Eboue, Nasri, Diaby, Clichy, Rosicky, Djourou, Koscielny.