Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (21.05.11)

Started by White Noise, May 20, 2011, 08:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.fansfc.com/Fulham/story/32380/8.html

Konchesky primed for Fulham return

04:30 PM 20 May, 2011

Paul Konchesky is expected to return to Fulham Football Club this summer.

The former England international left Craven Cottage last year, when he followed Roy Hodgson from the Londoners to Liverpool for a fee of £3million.

However, the pair endured a miserable time on Merseyside, with the manager sacked in January and the fullback shortly afterwards loaned to Nottingham Forest.

Konchesky, who turned 30-years-old earlier this week, has no future at Anfield under boss Kenny Dalglish, who will look to move him on when the window reopens.

It is widely expected that the player will make the return move to Fulham, where Mark Hughes is looking for a replacement for the wantaway Carlos Salcido.

White Noise

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13441010.stm

Fulham    v    Arsenal

Barclays Premier LeagueVenue: Craven CottageDate: Sunday, 22 MayKick-off: 1600 BSTCoverage: Watch highlights on Match of the Day; listen on BBC Radio 5 live and local radio; text commentary on BBC Sport website and mobiles

Live text and statsContent will update automatically

Sunday, 22 May 2011
Barclays Premier League
Home Team Score Away Team Time
Fulham v  Arsenal 16:00

TEAM NEWS

Fulham's Moussa Dembele has been ruled out with a knee injury, but Simon Davies returns after missing the win over Birmingham.

Damien Duff is also injured and Chris Baird is suspended.

Arsenal are sweating on the fitness of a host of players, with Abou Diaby, Gael Clichy and Samir Nasri facing late fitness tests.

Johan Djourou, Laurent Koscielny and Tomas Rosicky are also doubts, but Cesc Fabregas is definitely out.

Fulham

Suspended: Baird (one match)

Injured: Dembele (knee), Duff (Achilles), Kamara (back)

Arsenal

Doubtful: Clichy & Nasri (both hamstring), Diaby (calf), Djourou (ankle), Koscielny & Rosicky (both thigh)

Injured: Bartley (knee), Eastmond (ankle), Fabianski (shoulder), Fabregas & Mannone (both thigh)

PREVIEW BY MOTD COMMENTATOR JOHN MOTSON
Arsenal's record of two wins in 12 matches tells you all you need to know about why they have slipped to fourth in the table.

Since the Carling Cup final defeat to Birmingham it has all unravelled for Arsene Wenger's side. It has been an unsettling period for the club and Wenger has come under fire for his lack of activity in the transfer market, as their weaknesses at centre back and in goal have been regularly exposed.

Unless the Gunners beat Fulham and Manchester City slip up away at Bolton, Wenger's side will be stuck in fourth. With that comes a tricky qualifying round to reach the group stage of next season's Champions League, where they could face sides of the calibre of Bayern Munich or Lyon.

Continue reading the main story
Since the Carling Cup final defeat to Birmingham it has all unravelled for Arsene Wenger's side
Fulham could find themselves in Europe next season as they are in line to qualify for the Europa League through the Respect Fair Play rankings.

One thing that has gone under the radar is that if the Cottagers beat Arsenal, and Everton lose to Chelsea, they will finish seventh on goal difference. This would equal their best-ever finish in top-flight history, set under Roy Hodgson two years ago.

Their season has had a remarkable turnaround, given that back at Christmas they briefly flirted with relegation and Mark Hughes's job was rumoured to be under threat. Hughes said things would be different when they got all their players back from injury, and he was right. The return of striker Bobby Zamora in particular gave everyone at the club such a massive lift.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

•The sides have met on 48 occasions. Arsenal have won 34 times, Fulham seven and there have been seven draws.
•All of Fulham's seven victories have come at Craven Cottage.
•They have beaten Arsenal just twice in 19 Premier League matches: 1-0 in 2008 and 2-1 in 2006.
•Fulham have scored just twice in their last six meetings with the Gunners.
•Fulham attempted 14 shots (including blocks) in the reverse meeting between these sides, the most of all 19 teams to visit the Emirates in the league this term.
Fulham

•Fulham have won five out of their last nine matches.
•Fulham have kept clean sheets in four of their previous seven games.
•The next goal Fulham let in will be their 500th conceded in the Premier League.
•They are also the only club without a red card in the division this season. The last club to go a whole season without a sending off was Liverpool in 2008-09.
•Andrew Johnson and Danny Murphy are two short of 50 Premier League goals.
•If Clint Dempsey scores he will equal Louis Saha's club record of 13 goals scored in one Premier League season.
•30% of Fulham's goals have come from headers, the highest proportion in the division.
Arsenal

•Arsene Wenger's side have won two of their last 10 league games (W2, D5, L3).
•They have won 19 league matches - only once in the last 13 seasons have the club failed to win 20 matches in a single season - in 2006-07.
•Samir Nasri's brace against Fulham in December took him to eight league goals (and 11 in all comps) for the season - he has scored just two in the league since (four in all comps).
•Robin van Persie has scored as many Premier League goals in 2011 as the entire Blackburn Rovers team.
•If Van Persie scores against Fulham, he will equal the record of 18 goals scored in a season from January 1 onwards held by Thierry Henry and Cristiano Ronaldo.
LEADING GOALSCORERS
  Fulham

Dempsey: 13 goals (12 league); Zamora: 6 goals (4 league)

Arsenal

Van Persie: 21 goals (17 league); Nasri: 15 goals (10 league)

MATCH OFFICIALS

Referee: Martin Atkinson

Assistant referees: Jake Collin & Adam Watts

Fourth official: Michael Oliver

LAST LEAGUE MATCH LINE-UPS

Fulham (W2-0 v Birmingham, a): Schwarzer, Senderos, Hughes, Hangeland, Salcido, Greening, Murphy (Etuhu 71), Sidwell, Dempsey (Gera 89), Johnson, Zamora (Gudjohnsen 50). Subs not used: Stockdale, Kelly, Kakuta, Briggs.

Arsenal (L1-2 v Aston Villa, h): Szczesny, Sagna, Squillaci (Chamakh 46), Vermaelen, Gibbs, Song, Wilshere, Walcott, Ramsey, Arshavin (Bendtner 62), van Persie. Subs not used: Lehmann, Denilson, Eboue, Henderson, Miquel.

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/may/20/carlos-salcido-fulham-burglary

Carlos Salcido may leave Fulham after burglary drives out family

• Family returned home to Mexico after robbery at house

• Mark Hughes hopeful Salcido's situation can be resolved

Press Association

guardian.co.uk, Friday 20 May 2011 22.30 BST

Carlos Salcido has impressed with Fulham but his family has not settled in England. Photograph: Martin Godwin for the Guardian

The Fulham full-back Carlos Salcido could leave the club after a robbery at his house resulted in his family leaving England, Mark Hughes has revealed.

The Mexico international joined the Cottagers last summer from PSV Eindhoven and has impressed during his first season in the Premier League.

However, Hughes has warned that Salcido could leave Craven Cottage in the coming weeks after becoming unhappy with life in London following the incident at his house.

"His family came over initially but he had a robbery at his house," he said. "That was a bit upsetting for his family. They couldn't settle after that point [and moved back to Mexico].

"Carlos's situation is that his family has not been able to settle as of yet and he obviously has that to deal with.

"We are hopeful that the situation can be resolved and there can be a positive conclusion from our point of view in terms of Carlos being able to stay. If the situation is still prevalent, it may be that Carlos feels he needs to look at his options back home because he needs to be with his family.

"We understand that situation, it is difficult but obviously we have to protect our own position and he fully understands that. There is a lot of dialogue going on in terms of how we can resolve this but at the moment it is a little bit up in the air."

clint23

Quote from: White Noise on May 20, 2011, 09:03:13 PM

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/patience-pays-off-for-cottagers-midfielder-

Patience pays off for Cottagers midfielder

Fulham – Jonathan Greening has been biding his time

By Paul Bailey  May 20, 2011

Greening has been working hard all season. (©PAphotos)Picture GalleryNew

Fulham midfielder Jonathan Greening highlighted the depth of squad at manager Mark Hughes' disposal, after turning in an influential display last weekend.

Making only his fifth start of the campaign, Greening played a starring role in the Cottagers away trip to Birmingham City, helping them to a second successive away win after a convincing 2-0 victory at St Andrews.

"I haven't played for quite a while and it was a bit of a surprise when my name came up in the team meeting before the game," he said.

"I didn't have a clue I was playing until a hour and a half before kick-off. It was nice to get out on the pitch, I just thought I'd try and enjoy myself, get a few touches of the ball and luckily for me I did all right.

"It was a good team performance and a good away win at a tough place to go."

Greening is relishing being back in the first team fold, and is hoping his recent performance will give him a fighting chance of inclusion when Fulham take on Arsenal at Craven Cottage on Sunday.

"I've been training well all year, just waiting for my chance. I didn't get as many chances as I wanted but I waited patiently and I got my chance. It was nice to get a game but I just wish there were a few more games left in the season.

"I know Mousa (Dembele) and Simon Davies might be back for the next match and they're two quality players, so it will be up to the gaffer to make the decision.

"If I can do another good job then great, if not I'll go back to the bench and keep working hard."

Nice tattoos you have there, Mr. Greening!

White Noise

http://www.themoderngooner.com/2011/05/preview-by-numbers-fulham-v-arsenal.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheModernGooner+%28The+Modern+Gooner%29

Preview by Numbers: Fulham v. Arsenal

Szczesny: As pissed off as you and I. Photo: Daily Mail.

Craven Cottage, London
Sunday, May 22
11:00 a.m. EDT, 4:00 p.m. BST

Match Officials
Referee: Martin Atkinson
Assistants: Jake Collin and Adam Watts
4th Official: Michael Oliver
This Match, Last Year: Fulham 0 - 1 Arsenal
Reverse Fixture: Arsenal 2 - 1 Fulham
All-Time in All Competitions: 34 Arsenal wins, 7 Fulham wins, 7 draws
Arsenal's League Form: D-D-L-W-L-L
Fulham's League Form: L-D-W-W-L-W
Arsenal Squad News

Injured: Fabregas (thigh), Fabianski (shoulder)
Doubts: Clichy (hamstring), Nasri (hamstring), Koscielny (thigh), Djourou (ankle), Diaby (calf), Rosicky (thigh)

One more appearance from Jens in goal? Possible, but I
kind of doubt it. Don't tell him I said that, he may punch me
in the face. Photo: Daily Mail.
The squad news has not changed very much in the past week, meaning we may see the same XI that looked disinterested against Aston Villa last week. Wojciech Szczesny will likely start in goal, though there are many that may want to see Jens Lehmann make an appearance one more time. Robin van Persie will start up front. That is almost certain.

The rest of the squad has some question marks. On the back line, there are doubts about Gael Clichy, Laurent Koscielny, and Johan Djourou meaning we may see the same porous back four as last week: Kieran Gibbs, a rusty Thomas Vermaelen, Sebastien Squillaci, and Bacary Sagna.

Cesc Fabregas has been ruled out, so Aaron Ramsey should start again in his place. The midfield should also be filled with the usual suspects of Alex Song and Jack Wilshere. Theo Walcott will start on the right wing, and on the left, it's Samir Nasri if he passes fit and Andrei Arshavin if he does not.

Predicted squad: Szczesny, Sagna, Vermaelen, Squillaci, Gibbs, Song, Wilshere, Ramsey, Arshavin, Walcott, van Persie.

Fulham Squad News

Injured: Dembele (knee), Duff (Achilles), Kamara (back)
Suspended: Baird (second of two, abusive gesture)

Fulham have lost Moussa Dembele to a knee injury, in addition to the already out Diomansy Kamara (who scored at the Emirates in December, but was out on loan to Leicester this winter) and Damien Duff, who were out for the year already with back and Achilles injuries, respectively. Meanwhile, as Simon Davies returns from injury, Chris Baird misses out through suspension, having been retroactively banned after an obscene gesture towards referee Lee Mason during Fulham's recent loss to Liverpool.

Predicted squad: Schwarzer, Pantsil, Hangeland, Senderos, Salcido, Davies, Sidwell, Murphy, Gudjohnsen, Dempsey, A. Johnson.

Current Form

Arsenal's current form = Frowny face. Photo: Daily Mail.
Arsenal's downward spiral first cost them a shot at the league title this season and now, it appears it will cost them automatic qualification to the Champions League group stage next season. On the day of the Carling Cup Final, Arsenal had a six point lead on Manchester City (for second place) with a game in hand. Since then, Arsenal have won twice in 10 league matches and 12 across all competitions. They have now lost three of their last four. They have been passed in the table by both Manchester City and Chelsea (who were fifth in February.) Arsenal have 19 league wins this season. They have been held below 20 league wins only once in the last 13 years, in 2006/07. It might be a blessing that the free-fall has resulted in a tumble to fourth place, as now having to qualify for the Champions League brings about a bit of a tangible punishment for Arsenal's complacency of late, and may provide more of an impetus to sort things out this summer. One hopes.

I should point out that while Arsenal might be in the qualifying round with the likes of Bayern Munich and Lyon, because the drawings are seeded, the odds of Arsenal playing a top class side like that is practically nil.

As for Fulham, they have a chance to finish in 7th place, which would tie their highest ever Premier League finish from two years ago. The Cottagers have won three of their last four and have only lost three league matches since the start of February. All of Fulham's wins this season have come against sides currently below them in the table. They have gotten only four draws against the current top seven. Fulham could find themselves in the Europa League next season as a result of their Fair Play ranking.

Match Facts

In this fixture last year, Vito Mannone was kicking ass
and taking names. Photo: Guardian.
Arsenal won the reverse fixture 2-1 on December 4. Samir Nasri had a brace, scoring both goals on brilliant individual efforts; both are strong candidates for Arsenal's goal of the season. It took 75 minutes for Arsenal to break the 1-1 deadlock that was created at the half hour mark when Fulham scored easily after Squillaci and Koscielny horrendously collided with each other. At the time, Arsenal went top of the league. They have not been back to the summit since.

Arsenal took six points from Fulham last season and, like this year, played the Cottagers on the final day of the season. That match was a 4-0 win at the Emirates. Andrei Arshavin and Robin van Persie spotted Arsenal a 2-0 lead before the half hour mark, a Chris Baird own goal made it three by the half, and Carlos Vela's only goal of the year in the 84th sealed it. In this fixture last year, played in late September of 2009, Robin van Persie scored in the 52nd minute to edge Arsenal ahead in a tense 1-0 win, which saw goalkeeper Vito Mannone star as the man of the match.

All seven of Fulham's all-time wins against Arsenal have come at Craven Cottage. Their most recent win over Arsenal came in August of 2008, when Brede Hangeland scored a 21st minute winner after going unmarked by William Gallas on a corner in a 1-0 Fulham victory. That was Fulham's second win over Arsenal since 1966.

The Referee

The referee is West Yorkshire-based Martin Atkinson. Last week, Atkinson took charge of the FA Cup Final. Atkinson is tied for showing the most red cards (12) out of any referee in the top flight this season, while Fulham is the only team in the league that has not had a player sent off this year.

Arsenal have seen a lot of Atkinson this year and two of the six red cards they have received have been delivered by him. He has taken charge of Arsenal's 1-1 draw at Liverpool (in which Laurent Koscielny was sent off,) the 2-1 win over Birmingham City (in which Jack Wilshere was sent off,) the 2-0 Carling Cup win over Wigan, the 1-0 Carling Cup Semi-Final loss at Ipswich Town, and the 3-3 draw at Tottenham.

For Fulham, Atkinson has taken charge of a 1-0 loss at Chelsea, a 3-0 win over West Brom, and a 3-0 win at Sunderland.

Last week's referee, Michael Oliver, who was widely regarded as in over his head at the Emirates (for the second time this year,) is the fourth official.

Around the League

As is customary, all ten Premier League matches start simultaneously on the final day of the season, to prevent match fixing. These are the reverse fixtures of those played the weekend of December 4-6.

Arsenal will have to keep an eye on Manchester City, now that they have been pipped for third place in the league. City travel to the Reebok to take on a Bolton side that has won once in their last six across all competitions (you may recall that Bolton win, as it was against Arsenal.)

Charlie Adam runs away from the hug the referee wants
to give him. Photo: Daily Mail.
By far the most enthralling story line of the weekend is the battle to avoid relegation. With West Ham already assured last place, there are two tickets to the Championship left available and five sides desperately avoiding receiving them. Blackpool and Wigan sit in those two drop zone places right now; the former travels to Old Trafford to play a Manchester United side with nothing to play for, while Wigan travels to Stoke City.

Meanwhile, level with Blackpool and Wigan on points is Birmingham City, just one goal ahead of the Tangerines on the tie-breaker of goal difference. Birmingham is at Tottenham Hotspur, who will clinch a Europa League berth with a win, though they may not want it. Just one point ahead of the drop zone tie-break are Wolves and Blackburn, who play each other at Molineux.

The rest of the matches carry a lot less glamour: Aston Villa hosts Liverpool, Everton hosts Chelsea, Newcastle hosts West Brom, and West Ham hosts Sunderland.

White Noise

Burglars are driving star out of Fulham

Published 23:00 20/05/11

By MirrorFootball

Fulham full-back Carlos Salcido could leave the club after a robbery at his house resulted in his family leaving England, manager Mark Hughes has revealed.

The Mexico international joined the Cottagers last summer from Dutch outfit PSV Eindhoven and has impressed during his first season in the Barclays Premier League.

However, Hughes has warned Salcido could leave Craven Cottage in the coming weeks after becoming unhappy with life in London following the incident at his house.

"His family came over initially, but he had a robbery at his house," he said. "That was a bit upsetting for his family. They couldn't settle after that point [and moved back to Mexico].

"Carlos' situation is that his family has not been able to settle as of yet and he obviously has that to deal with.

"We are hopeful there can be a positive conclusion from our point of view in terms of Carlos being able to stay. If the situation is still prevalent it may be that Carlos feels he needs to look at his options back home, because he needs to be with his family.

"We understand that situation, it is difficult, but obviously we have to protect our own position and he fully understands that.

"There is a lot of dialogue going on in terms of how we can resolve this, but at the moment it is a little bit up in the air."

Salcido's departure from the west Londoners would leave a void at left-back, which has seen Liverpool's Paul Konchesky linked with a return to the club.

Hughes flatly denied a move for the 30-year-old was on the cards, although he was less clear in his response when asked about an interest in Espanyol left-back Javi Chica.

"We look at a number of games," he said after being spotted watching the Barcelona-based club. "We won't highlight key positions but we have to look at our options.

"Obviously we have been aware of Carlos' situation for quite some time and we have managed it as well as we could.

"In fairness, he has managed it very well given the circumstances, being away from his family for long periods. That is credit to him, but we might possibly have to look at other alternatives."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-Carlos-Salcido-could-leave-the-club-after-a-burglary-resulted-in-his-family-leaving-England-it-has-been-revealed-article738662.html#ixzz1MyJMY4cU

White Noise

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/oddballs/863749-roberto-mancini-named-best-dressed-manager

Roberto Mancini named best dressed manager

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has picked up his second trophy of the season - the award for the Premier League's best dressed manager.

Model Rhian Sugden presents Roberto Mancini with his Golden Scarf Award for the Best Dressed Premier League Manager

The Italian, who led City to FA Cup glory last weekend, was named the Premier League's best-dressed manager in the Golden Scarf Awards, which marks the launch of Lords of Football, a 3D football lifestyle game.

He was presented with his Golden Scarf by model Rhian Sugden, in an empty field somewhere.

Mancini – known for his negative on-field tactics – beat Carlo Ancelotti and Fulham boss Mark Hughes in the fan poll.

Meanwhile, in the Football Manager awards, Blackpool boss Ian Holloway has been named the most amusing and entertaining boss of the season, ahead of Tottenham's Harry Redknapp.

Fans of the management game also voted the spat between Liverpool chief Kenny Dalglish and Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger this term's best tantrum.

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/oddballs/863749-roberto-mancini-named-best-dressed-manager#ixzz1MyK7r8KT

White Noise

One Day To Go

Saturday 21st May 2011

There is just one day to go until the Early Bird deadline for 2011/12 Season Tickets expires at midnight on Sunday 22nd May.

Season Tickets are currently available from just £329 for adults, £95 for juniors and FREE* for under 8s.

These amazing prices cannot last forever so make sure you act fast to ensure that you don't miss out on Barclays Premier League football at the Cottage next season.

Yesterday saw a number of new Season Ticket seats released which are selling quickly; you can check availability by logging into our online Season Ticket page|. You will also be able to find details of our flat rate Instalment Plan, designed to help you cover the cost of supporting your team. 

Buy Today|

*Only available in A, AL, K, KL blocks and can only be booked at the time of purchase of a full price adult ticket. To book, call 0843 208 1234 (option 3). Not available online

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/May/ThreeDaysToGo.aspx#ixzz1MyMacV2A

White Noise

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/20052011/58/premier-league-matchpack-fulham-v-arsenal.html

Premier League - Matchpack: Fulham v Arsenal

Fri, 20 May 12:27:00 2011

Video preview, team news and facts and figures ahead of the Premier League clash between Fulham and Arsenal at Craven Cottage.

Team news

Moussa Dembele has been ruled out of Fulham's final Barclays Premier League game of the season against Arsenal.

The 23-year-old will miss the Craven Cottage clash with a knee irritation, although the west Londoners will be boosted by Simon Davies' return to action after a calf injury.

Northern Ireland full-back Chris Baird serves the second game of a two-match ban and Damien Duff is out with an Achilles injury.

Arsenal will hand late fitness tests to midfielders Samir Nasri (hamstring) and Abou Diaby (calf) as well as full-backGael Clichy (hamstring) ahead of the trip to Craven Cottage.

Tomas Rosicky (thigh), Johan Djourou (ankle) and Laurent Koscielny (thigh) will also be assessed, having missed last week's home defeat by Aston Villa.

Captain Cesc Fabregas, however, remains sidelined by a thigh problem.

Match facts

Fulham have never drawn a Premier League game on the final day of the season, winning five and losing four.

Arsenal have only ever drawn one of their 18 games on the final day of a Premier League season (0-0 v Portsmouth in 2007).

None of Fulham's nine home Premier League games against Arsenal have ended as draws.

The Whites have failed to score in six of their last eight Premier League home games v the Gunners.

The Gunners have scored exactly four goals on the final day in three of the last five seasons.

Robin Van Persie has scored as many Premier League goals in 2011 as the entire Blackburn Rovers team.

12 goals have been scored from corners at Craven Cottage this season, two more than any other ground.

If Robin van Persie scores against Fulham, he will equal the record of 18 goals scored in a season from January 1 onwards held by Thierry Henry and Cristiano Ronaldo.

Fulham attempted 14 shots (including blocks) in the reverse meeting between these sides, the most of all 19 teams to visit the Emirates in the league this term.

30% of Fulham's goals have come from headers this season, the highest proportion in the division.

PA Sport / Opta .

Tom

Quote from: White Noise on May 21, 2011, 09:04:16 AM

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/oddballs/863749-roberto-mancini-named-best-dressed-manager

Roberto Mancini named best dressed manager

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has picked up his second trophy of the season - the award for the Premier League's best dressed manager.

Model Rhian Sugden presents Roberto Mancini with his Golden Scarf Award for the Best Dressed Premier League Manager

The Italian, who led City to FA Cup glory last weekend, was named the Premier League's best-dressed manager in the Golden Scarf Awards, which marks the launch of Lords of Football, a 3D football lifestyle game.

He was presented with his Golden Scarf by model Rhian Sugden, in an empty field somewhere.

Mancini – known for his negative on-field tactics – beat Carlo Ancelotti and Fulham boss Mark Hughes in the fan poll.

Meanwhile, in the Football Manager awards, Blackpool boss Ian Holloway has been named the most amusing and entertaining boss of the season, ahead of Tottenham's Harry Redknapp.

Fans of the management game also voted the spat between Liverpool chief Kenny Dalglish and Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger this term's best tantrum.

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/oddballs/863749-roberto-mancini-named-best-dressed-manager#ixzz1MyK7r8KT
Who cares about that award! I'm looking at the beautiful bird standing next to him.  :004:
Fulham for life!

White Noise

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/west-brom-sunderland-target-johnson-rejects-leeds-contract-offer-1644171

West Brom, Sunderland target Johnson rejects Leeds contract offer

20.05.11 | tribalfootball.com

Leeds United winger Bradley Johnson is set to spark a Premier League transfer scramble.

The Daily Mail says Johnson has just turned down a three-year deal, which leaves him free to quit Elland Road.

The midfielder has been linked with Sunderland, Newcastle United, Fulham and Wigan Athletic.

However, West Bromwich Albion boss Roy Hodgson is regarded as favourite to land Johnson when his deal expires next month.

White Noise

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/tireless-servant-schwarzer-eager-to-ride-on-to-brazil/story-fn63e0vj-1226059920835

Tireless servant Schwarzer eager to ride on to Brazil

Ray Gatt From: The Australian May 21, 2011 12:00AM

Fulham and Socceroos keeper Mark Schwarzer enters the fray against Birmingham City this week. Picture: Simon Dawson. Source: AP

IT says so much about Mark Schwarzer that on the verge of completing his 20th season as a professional, his 17th in Europe and his 14th in the English Premier League the Socceroo legend is still as hungry as ever.

Despite approaching his 39th birthday, having won a mountain of accolades and achieved nearly all there is in the sport, including recognition alongside Tim Cahill as the greatest player produced in Australian soccer history, Schwarzer is showing no signs of slowing down.

Certainly, if his interview with The Weekend Australian is any indication, the Fulham goalkeeper is nowhere near ready to pass the baton to the next generation, either at club or international level.

Schwarzer craves for more and made no secret of the fact he will play in the EPL as long as he can and that he has his sights set on playing for the Socceroos at the World Cup finals in Brazil in 2014, when he will be 41 and just four months short of his 42nd birthday.

If he makes it that far, and you wouldn't want to bet against him, he will eclipse Italian Dino Zoff as the oldest goalkeeper to play at the World Cup finals, though he will fall short of being the oldest of all time -- a record held by Cameroon striker Roger Milla, who was 42 years and 39 days when he played at the 1994 finals.

However, neither records nor age mean anything to Schwarzer, who maintains that job satisfaction, enjoyment and pride in his performances are the keys that continue to drive him as a footballer and person.

He does not tire, either, of the constant emphasis on his future and his advancing years and has learned to roll with the punches.

"It's inevitable that my age is brought up," said Schwarzer, who was on his way to a training session with Fulham when he spoke to The Weekend Australian. "The thing is, it seems more of an issue in Australia. It is not brought up over here. People look at the likes of (Manchester United goalkeeper) Edwin van der Sar and (Aston Villa's) Brad Friedel. They are both 40 and still at the top of their game. People respect that.

"If I had listened to some people in Australia I would have retired four years ago from the national team. It (retirement) is a very personal decision. Once you are retired, that's it. Playing is such an amazing experience and I want to make the most of it. I don't want any regrets later by asking myself 'Did I do the right thing or not'."

Still Schwarzer admits it is a fine line between playing on and retirement for any sportsman.

"It's in the back of the mind that you don't want to go on for too long. Potentially you can go too far and then have to cop the criticism that you should have retired earlier," he said. "Thankfully, I have confided in a lot of people over the last six to 12 months, especially my family and, more importantly, my wife (Paloma). Their advice and support has been overwhelming."

As for Brazil 2014, it is definitely in his thinking at this stage, though he is aware of the pitfalls.

"I am feeling great. Why not?" Schwarzer says. "I don't want to jinx myself and I am not naive because a lot of things can change very quickly between now and then, especially physically and form wise. I have learned to be a bit more cautious.

"But I would be lying if I said Brazil isn't part of my plans."

Schwarzer has been happy with the way the EPL season has panned out for him and Fulham, though the 5-2 loss to Liverpool several weeks ago where he made a howler, is still raw in the memory.

"Take out the Liverpool game and it has all been good," he says. "I don't remember ever playing as badly as I did that day against Liverpool. But those things happen. I have been lucky in that that is the first bad game I have had for Fulham and that's not bad going in three years."

On a club level, Fulham plays Arsenal at home and a win could take the Cottagers to seventh spot.

"If Everton lose then we could go to seventh and that will equal our highest ever result in the Premier League," Schwarzer said. Juggling football and family life is tough for a professional player, but Schwarzer says he is now over the bumps. He says he is getting huge enjoyment and pride watching his 11-year-old son Julian playing for Fulham's junior sides.

Schwarzer will leave the family behind when he returns for a hit and run visit to Australia to play in friendlies against New Zealand in Adelaide on June 5 and Serbia in Melbourne two days later.

Australia's most capped Socceroo says he wants to play in both games. In another sign of his determination to hold on to what he regards as very precious, Australia's most capped Socceroo is not thinking of giving another keeper a chance.

"Absolutely . . . my hand is up for both games," he said. "As far as I am concerned, you have to earn the right (to play for your country). I don't want to give anyone else an opportunity.

"Of course, if the manager (Holger Osieck) says otherwise, then that is his decision and I will go by that 100 per cent.

"But I definitely want to play both games."