Tuesday's Fulham Stuff (24.05.11)

Started by RidgeRider, May 24, 2011, 12:24:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBNo11

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6949931,00.html

Gera unsure over future
Hungarian wants guaranteed playing time at Craven Cottage
By Juha Pal.   Last Updated: May 24, 2011 1:34pm

....Zoltan Gera says it is unlikely he will remain at Fulham this summer, but has not completely ruled out the prospect.

The 32-year-old midfielder has seen limited first-team action at Craven Cottage this season, with the majority of his performances coming off the bench.

His frustrating campaign ended on a low note on Sunday when he was dismissed in the 74th minute against Arsenal for a lunging challenge on Thomas Vermaelen after coming on three minutes earlier.

Unlikely
Hungary international Gera says he has talked to manager Mark Hughes over a possible stay with the Cottagers, but insists he is not prepared to play a bit-part for another season.

"I can't rule out that I stay but it's not too likely," Gera told origo.hu. "I want more than this.

"I talked to our manager after our last training session and he said he wanted me to stay.

"I replied by stating my problems - I hardly play, many times I'm not even on the bench and because of this reason I can't concentrate well when I get the chance.

"I said at the moment I don't want to extend my contract but we agreed that we'll talk about it in the future again."

"I can't rule out that I stay but it's not too likely. I want more than this. "

Zoltan Gera

Quotes of the week

Gera's red card against Arsenal could jeopardise Fulham's hopes of qualifying for the UEFA Europa League next season through the Premier League fair-play table.

But the midfielder is adamant his dismissal was not done intentionally as a way of seeking revenge for his lack of playing time.

He added: "I didn't do that tackle in order to take revenge because I only got good things from the club and from the players.

"So I'm very sorry about what happened."

Disappointed
Gera hopes the red card will not discourage any potential suitors that might come knocking over the summer.

He said: "I think this red card did my future a disservice because wherever I sign I'll have to take my suspension with me for the forthcoming season.

"I'm disappointed with myself but I hope it won't affect my future."

Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

clint23

Quote from: LBNo11 on May 24, 2011, 02:05:46 PM
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6949931,00.html

Gera unsure over future
Hungarian wants guaranteed playing time at Craven Cottage
By Juha Pal.   Last Updated: May 24, 2011 1:34pm

....Zoltan Gera says it is unlikely he will remain at Fulham this summer, but has not completely ruled out the prospect.

The 32-year-old midfielder has seen limited first-team action at Craven Cottage this season, with the majority of his performances coming off the bench.

His frustrating campaign ended on a low note on Sunday when he was dismissed in the 74th minute against Arsenal for a lunging challenge on Thomas Vermaelen after coming on three minutes earlier.

Unlikely
Hungary international Gera says he has talked to manager Mark Hughes over a possible stay with the Cottagers, but insists he is not prepared to play a bit-part for another season.

"I can't rule out that I stay but it's not too likely," Gera told origo.hu. "I want more than this.

"I talked to our manager after our last training session and he said he wanted me to stay.

"I replied by stating my problems - I hardly play, many times I'm not even on the bench and because of this reason I can't concentrate well when I get the chance.

"I said at the moment I don't want to extend my contract but we agreed that we'll talk about it in the future again."

"I can't rule out that I stay but it's not too likely. I want more than this. "

Zoltan Gera

Quotes of the week

Gera's red card against Arsenal could jeopardise Fulham's hopes of qualifying for the UEFA Europa League next season through the Premier League fair-play table.

But the midfielder is adamant his dismissal was not done intentionally as a way of seeking revenge for his lack of playing time.

He added: "I didn't do that tackle in order to take revenge because I only got good things from the club and from the players.

"So I'm very sorry about what happened."

Disappointed
Gera hopes the red card will not discourage any potential suitors that might come knocking over the summer.

He said: "I think this red card did my future a disservice because wherever I sign I'll have to take my suspension with me for the forthcoming season.

"I'm disappointed with myself but I hope it won't affect my future."

It seems to me that he is already gone

WhiteJC

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-23953026-season-review-mixed-fortunes-for-fulham.do?

Season review: Mixed fortunes for Fulham

END OF TERM REPORT
A season of two halves. The toxic mixture of a new manager signed late (Mark Hughes had the benefit of only one pre-campaign friendly after replacing Roy Hodgson), crucial injuries to strikers Bobby Zamora and Mousa Dembele allied to the late comeback of Andrew Johnson, and a penchant for draws, left Fulham wallowing in the relegation zone following a desperate defeat at home to West Ham on Boxing Day.

Hughes looked set for an early departure, only for a first away win at Stoke to ignite a remarkable resurgence. The arrival of Steve Sidwell added bite to midfield, Clint Dempsey became Fulham's overall top scorer, and Zamora returned to his hustling, bustling best. To crown it all, Hughes transformed the Cottage into a fortress with his side suffering only one home League defeat this calendar year. The reward was a highly respectable eighth place in the table.

VERDICT
Good, but a lot was left out on the pitch, especially in the FA Cup. Wembley beckoned following the 4-0 thumping of Spurs but the subsequent home defeat by Bolton was a huge disappointment.

STAR MAN
Brede Hangeland, surely the Premier League's best header? Texan sharp-shooter Clint Dempsey?

No, the accolade goes to the club's always-adaptable, ever-dependable defender Chris Baird.

THE FUTURE

Mark Hughes has yet to bond with the Fulham faithful in the way that Roy Hodgson did. But the Cottage began to rock to that spectacular second half to the season and if Hughes can break into the top six and take the club to another Europa League final they'll be holding a whip-round to replace the statue of Michael Jackson with that of a real, believable Fulham legend. Unreasonable targets? Not if club owner Mohamed Fayed provides the funds for another striker, an understudy to ageing playmaker Danny Murphy, and a left back.

WhiteJC

Hayles Returns!

Barry Hayles returns to Craven Cottage this Sunday when he lines up alongside a host of former Fulham favourites for the London Legends Cup.

Hayles made 206 appearances for Fulham, scored 55 goals and helped the club to two promotions which resulted in Fulham reaching the Premier League in 2001.

He ended his Fulham career when Craven Cottage was being revamped to an all-seater stadium and the club was temporarily residing at Loftus Road. His last appearance at Craven Cottage was the goalless draw against Leicester City in April 2002 and the former Fulham forward is clearly relishing a return and playing in the Legends Cup.

"I'm really looking forward to the games on Sunday," Hayles told fulhamfc.com. "I've been keeping fit and kept my body ticking over. It's great to get back to the Cottage, I've been back to watch a few games but I'm really looking forward to getting back on the pitch.

"I still play non league football for Truro City. We won our division this season and move up to the Conference South."

Hayles is also excited about catching up with some of his former teammates and familiar faces who will be representing Chelsea, Tottenham Hotspur and Arsenal, as he explained to fulhamfc.com.

"I know most of the players in the Fulham team as I would have played alongside a few of them so it's going to be a great reunion," Hayles explained. "I think we have got a decent outfit turning out and I hope we can do well."

Fulham will need to defeat Chelsea on Sunday to play either Tottenham or Arsenal in the Legends Cup Final and Hayles is hoping to put one over the Club's local rivals after being denied by the Blues in the FA Cup during his time at the Cottage.

"I've never managed to register a victory against Chelsea when I was at Fulham so hopefully we can change that on Sunday," said Hayles. "I remember playing in the FA Cup semi-final at Villa Park against them when John Terry scored the only goal of the match.

"I recently played a charity match a few weeks ago with Ken Monkou and we were speaking about the Legends Cup. We played in the same team, I was at the back and he played in midfield. I'm hoping that he will play for Chelsea and I play up front so that I can take the mickey out of him!"

Hayles will line-up alongside Bjarne Goldbaek for Fulham and the striker fondly remembers the match in which they both scored during a 3-0 win against Bolton Wanderers at Craven Cottage just before the end of the 2001-02 campaign.

"I remember that game – when I scored, people thought I should have passed the ball to players in a better scoring position but I decided to steam through and have a go on my own. It's always nice to come back to see the fans as they were brilliant during my time at Fulham."

Despite his own achievements in the game, Hayles admits he will be in awe of one player on Sunday, when he comes face to face with former Tottenham legend Ricky Villa, a player he idolised as a young Spurs fan.

"Ricky Villa was a great player for Tottenham and will always be remembered for that wonderful solo goal against Manchester City in the FA Cup Final.

"He was a fantastic player and had great technical ability. I must admit that I was a massive fan so it would be great to meet him. I'm really buzzing knowing that I might get a chance to play against him."

See Barry Hayles and a whole host of Legends in action on Sunday at the London Legends Cup at Craven Cottage.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/May/HaylesLegendsPreview.aspx?#ixzz1NHsxpqBy

WhiteJC

http://www.talksport.co.uk/magazine/features/2011-05-24/carew-klose-larsson-and-ten-best-free-transfers-available-summer?

CAREW, KLOSE, LARSSON AND TEN OF THE BEST FREE TRANSFERS AVAILABLE THIS SUMMER
Ten players good enough for the Premier League, waiting to be snapped up

With the Premier League season done and dusted attention now turns to strengthening for next season. And who said that involved millions in transfer fees?

Nothing will fill Premier League clubs with joy more than securing the bargain of the season. Here are ten talkSPORT selections, along with the clubs they've been linked to...

MIROSLAV KLOSE
WHO'S INTERESTED: Spurs AND VALENCIA

The only player to score five or more goals in consecutive World Cups and second behind Ronaldo in the tournament's all-time leading scorers, Klose celebrates his 33rd birthday this summer and could yet mark it with a move to Spurs or Valencia. Bayern Munich have reportedly offered the marksman –who netted Germany's opener against England in South Africa 2010 – a one-year extension, but Klose is holding out for another two, which seems unlikely given his record of one goal in 20 league games this year.

JAY BOTHROYD
WHO'S INTERESTED: CELTIC, Everton AND Fulham

The former Arsenal apprentice was released by Cardiff this week after failing to agree new terms, but could have been playing for the Welsh club in the top flight next year had he remained injury free for the whole campaign. His early season form caught Fabio Capello's eye and earned him a first England cap, but it wasn't enough to see Cardiff over the line during the play-offs, alerting the attention of Mark Hughes, David Moyes and Neil Lennon.

Brad Friedel
WHO'S INTERESTED: SPURS, Liverpool AND West Brom

Reports suggest Villa's veteran American stopper, who recently turned 40 and allegedly has financial troubles, will snub new terms in favour of a two-year deal at Liverpool this summer, where he'd be expected to warm the bench if Pepe Reina stays at the club. West Brom are also keen, while Spurs may look to strengthen following high-profile blunders from Heurelho Gomes this year.

Sebastian Larsson
WHO'S INTERESTED: SUNDERLAND, MAN CITY AND Newcastle

The Swedish winger is hot property this summer and the big question is where he'll be next year, not whether he'll be staying at St Andrews, which looks as likely as Gordon Strachan being appointed new Chelsea manager. His agent was granted permission to speak to Newcastle about a move in January but failed to agree terms, while Man City were also keen to snap him up as cover for Adam Johnson, who was injured at the time.

MATTHEW UPSON
WHO'S INTERESTED: NO REPORTED INTEREST AS YET

It's not been the best 12 months for Matthew Upson, whose header against Germany at the World Cup in South Africa was quickly forgotten in the midst of Frank Lampard's phantom strike and the old enemy's thumping 4-1 win. To make matters worse it was followed up with a stinker of a season at West Ham and relegation to the Championship - something he experienced with Birmingham in 2006. Upson's commitment was questioned by Hammers chairman David Sullivan towards the end of the season, but that probably won't stop a top flight club taking a punt on his fitness next year.

David Vaughan
WHO'S INTERESTED: SUNDERLAND

Charlie Adam and DJ Campbell may have been the talk of Blackpool's Premier League debut but Welsh international David Vaughan took home the Players' Player of the Year award this week, and grabbed the attention of Black Cats manager Steve Bruce, who'll attempt to add him to Sunderland's squad in time for next season. Vaughan recently rejected new terms with Blackpool, while chairman Owen Oyston's insistence that players earn half the amount they picked up in the Premier League suggest his days at Bloomfield Road are numbered.

Michael Owen
WHO'S INTERESTED: DERBY

Owen featured in just 11 Premier League games last term; eight fewer than his first year at Old Trafford and perhaps an indication Sir Alex Ferguson will not offer him an extra year at the club. The speedy development of Chicarito has been a huge bonus for United and contributed to keeping the former Liverpool and Real Madrid man's opportunities limited to late substitute appearances. Derby were reported to be interested after offloading high earner Robbie Savage, although Owen will be hoping for more games in the Premier League - even if doubts he can do that without sustaining more injuries rule most clubs out. Maybe we'll see another brochure touting his services?

Eidur Gudjohnsen
WHO'S INTERESTED: FULHAM AND QPR

The Icelandic forward boasts Premier League, La Liga and Champions League medals, so it's no surprise Fulham boss Mark Hughes is eager to extend his stay at Fulham when his Stoke contract runs out. Gudjohnsen also spent time on loan at Spurs last year but never fitted into Stoke's style of play and is said to prefer a permanent move to London next month. Premier League new boys QPR have also expressed an interest but Mark Hughes claims the player would prefer to remain at Craven Cottage, where he's impressed despite not scoring.

VICENTE RODRIGUEZ
WHO'S INTERESTED: EVERTON AND Blackburn

Lauded as one of the world's best players in 2004 when Real Madrid had a bid in excess of £30m for his services turned down, Vicente has struggled with injuries since then, even blaming Valencia's medical staff for his lack of game action. He managed just 17 games in all competitions last season, but David Moyes could see him as an ideal replacement for Steven Pienaar – who left for Spurs in January – while Blackburn also made enquiries at the turn of the year. Any move is likely to be short-term given his injury record.

John Carew
WHO'S INTERESTED: WEST BROM, QPR AND STOKE

This giant forward has ruled out renewing his Villa deal having spoken out on his lack of first team action before joining Stoke on loan in January. A back injury has limited his chances at the Britannia where he hopes to have impressed enough to earn a full-time contract. West Brom, who were desperate to land the striker in the new year, may come calling again while Neil Warnock could see him as the ideal man to lead the line for QPR in their first top flight season in 15 years.

WhiteJC

http://www.uefa.com/womenschampionsleague/news/newsid=1634543.html?rss=1634543+Key+moments+on+the+road+to+Fulham

Key moments on the road to Fulham
Published: Tuesday 24 May 2011, 17.11CET

Thursday's final features the same two clubs as last year but there have been plenty of twists on the way. UEFA.com reviews the shocks, the comebacks and the feats of the season

The second UEFA Women's Champions League final will have a familiar look as 1. FFC Turbine Potsdam meet Olympique Lyonnais at Craven Cottage on Thursday night, just as they did a year ago in Getafe when the German side won on penalties. But there have been plenty of twists and turns on the road to Fulham and UEFA.com picks out the key moments from this season's competition.

Qualifying round: Apollon humble Umeå
The Group 3 mini-tournament in Limassol produced perhaps the greatest shock in European women's club football. Two-time UEFA Women's Cup winners Umeå IK, the only team to have reached five European finals, had won their opener 3-0 against ASA Tel-Aviv FC when they took on section hosts Apollon Limassol LFC, seeded fourth. Two goals from Alexandra Iusan and one each by Christiana Solomou and Laura Roxana Rus put Apollon 4-1 up after 47 minutes and that was how it stayed, the Cypriot side then beating ASA Tel-Aviv 3-0 to top the group and leave Umeå stunned. Having never before failing to make the last eight, Umeå will be absent from European competition for only the second time next season. Apollon departed with an honourable 4-2 aggregate round of 32 loss to 2009 finalists Zvezda-2005.

Round of 32: German giants show their hand
It was hardly ideal for tournament debutants Åland United and fellow newcomers CSHVSM to draw holders Potsdam and previous champions FCR 2001 Duisburg respectively in the round of 32, and so it proved. Finland's Åland lost 9-0 at home and 6-0 at Potsdam while CSHVSM of Kazakhstan went down 5-0 and 6-0 to Duisburg, Inka Grings claiming four goals in both legs to set an uncatchable pace as tournament top scorer. The German duo would take some beating, as would Lyon – 10-1 aggregate winners against AZ Alkmaar.

Round of 16 :Arsenal's comeback queens
Arsenal LFC had opened by defeating Serbia's ŽFK Mašinac PZP 12-1 overall but in the round of 16 had a much stiffer test against Rayo Vallecano de Madrid, conquerors of Valur Reykjavík. And so it proved as the 2007 winners fell 2-0 on their trip to Spain and faced, like Umeå, their first pre quarter-final exit. They picked up in the return as they went three goals up just past the hour but with 12 minutes left Adriana scored an away goal and soon after home defender Gilly Flaherty was sent off. There remained one more twist, though, as in added time, substitute Jennifer Beattie won the tie for Arsenal. In the quarter-finals, Arsenal repeated the trick, coming from behind to draw 1-1 at home to Linköpings FC then in Sweden twice equalising to go through on away goals.

Quarter-finals: Experience tells
In that tie, Arsenal had the benefit of nine European campaigns to Linköpings's two. And the more established forces won the other match-ups too. Potsdam were the most emphatic, seeing off France's FCF Juvisy Essonne, newcomers at this stage, 3-0 away and 6-2 at home. Everton, who had impressively knocked out Brøndby IF to earn a maiden quarter-final, found Duisburg a step too far, losing 3-1 at home and 2-1 in Germany. And though Lyon only beat fellow former runners-up Zvezda-2005 1-0 on aggregate, they dominated the entire tie and Lara Dickenmann's brilliant goal an hour into the Stade de Gerland second leg deservedly booked her team's fourth straight semi-final.

Semi-finals: Familiar territory
In 2010, the semi-finals matched Duisburg with Potsdam and Lyon with Umeå. Save for Arsenal replacing the Swedish team, it was virtually the same story as last year, with Duisburg and Lyon again at home in the first legs. To continue the familiar theme, Potsdam won their home return 1-0, though this time their 2-2 draw at Duisburg, rather than a 1-0 reverse, in the first leg meant they did not need penalties to see off their German rivals. For Lyon, Lotta Schelin scored twice in the first 11 minutes of the home first leg watched by 20,123 at Stade de Gerland, a competition record for a game other than a final, and the most to watch a women's match in France. There was no Arsenal comeback in the return as Lyon struck three before the break; Arsenal pulled back two goals but their dream of a final appearance in London was dashed.

Final: Come and find out...
Supporters wishing to attend Thursday's final at 20.00 UK time can purchase tickets now priced at £3 for under-16s and £5 (€5.90) for adults. They can be bought via a portal on Fulham FC's official website or by calling +44 (0)843 208 1234 (option 1) 24 hours a day, seven days a week (no booking fees apply online).

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=242703

What Do You Think?
I`d hazard a guess that Mark Hughes could well be looking to improve the strikers he has available to him next season.

Now that statement isn`t intended as a slight on any of our existing strikers, most notably Moussa Dembele, Andrew Johnson and Bobby Zamora.

But with the futures of Eidur Gudjohnsen and Diomansy Kamara far from settled there may be a case for Hughes to add to his strike-force giving him a quartet of strikers.

The tabloid press are reporting that the Cardiff City hot-shot, Jay Bothroyd, has been released by Cardiff after failing to agree to a new contract.

Now it wasn`t too long ago that Bothroyd was being talked of as being a possible inclusion in the England squad.

So, our midweek teaser to you is - Should Fulham be considering bringing Bothroyd to Craven Cottage to supplement our current playing squad?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=242703#ixzz1NHtyUsZg

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=242704

Two in England Squad!
I reckon it has been a heck of a long time since we`ve had two players in an England squad.

But that`s the case now!

Fabio Capello has named his squad for the forthcoming international fixture with Switzerland and both Bobby Zamora and David Stockdale have been selected.

We`re assuming that Stockdale will be the third goalkeeper and is unlikely to see any action but we`re hopeful that Zamora will get the chance to shine, especially when you consider that Rooney is suspended and that another striking rival, Crouch, is rated as doubtful.

Speaking abut his selection, Bobby has had this to say to the media,

"It`s been a really difficult season."

"I`m delighted to be playing for Fulham again and now in the England squad. I`m buzzing."

"It`s been the toughest time of my career but I had to stay positive and its great news the England manager has faith in me."

June 4th has suddenly taken on a whole new significance!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=242704#ixzz1NHuCLkHn

WhiteJC

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/may/23/harry-redknapp-tottenham-hotspur-europa-league

Harry Redknapp to play Tottenham Hotspur youth in Europa League
• Fulham to join Spurs, Stoke and Birmingham by Fair Play table
• Blackpool set to miss out because of Ian Holloway's conduct

Harry Redknapp has suggested he will use his "younger players" in next season's Europa League as he reinforced the impression that he may come to consider the competition as an unwanted distraction. The Tottenham Hotspur manager, though, together with his players, can be mightily relieved that they qualified via Premier League position and not the Fair Play table, which grants a place in the tournament's first qualifying round and means the new season will begin on 30 June.

The place will almost certainly go to Fulham who, in the last published Fair Play table on 30 April, were joint-second with Tottenham, behind the leaders Chelsea. Manchester United were fourth and Blackpool fifth. Chelsea and United have qualified for the Champions League.

Much has been made of Fulham's sudden spate of cards – they collected 12 yellows and one red in their three matches this month – and the conspiracy theorists have said the team have been trying to kick their way out of the early start to next season. But cards represent only 25% of the Fair Play equation – the other criteria are positive play, respect towards opponents and the referee, and the behaviour of club officials – and, with Fulham comfortably ahead of Blackpool in the last standings, it is unlikely that a season's accumulated numbers would be undermined by three games.

The Blackpool manager, Ian Holloway, whose team collected five yellow cards in their three matches this month, has tended to score badly on his behaviour towards officials. The final Fair Play table will be released on Thursday or Friday, after delegates' reports have been submitted and independently verified.

Tottenham, who beat Liverpool to fifth in the Premier League, will enter the Europa League at the play-off round, together with Birmingham City, the Carling Cup winners. The two-legged ties will be played on 18 and 25 August. Stoke City, the FA Cup runners-up, will enter at the previous round, the third qualifying round, which will be played on 28 July and 4 August while the dates for the first qualifying round are 30 June and 7 July.

"It was so important to avoid qualifying via the Fair Play," Redknapp said. "I said to the lads before the game [against Birmingham on Sunday], 'The one thing we don't want is the Fair Play ... we've got to win because we don't want to be going into that.' You'd be back playing in June so we'd be back training in two weeks if we were in that, which is ridiculous. It kills your Premier League season for a start. It's the last thing you could ever want if you're looking to have a push again next year."

Redknapp has described the Europa League as "one of those competitions that teams get in and then they try to get out of ... you look at the English teams and they all seem to play the reserve teams in it."

Tottenham could play up to 17 ties in the competition. "It's tough," Redknapp said. "We'll look at it and maybe it gives us a chance to play some of the younger players in that. The Premier League is going to be all important to us next year."

The defender Michael Dawson said: "We are massively relieved as the last thing that any player or member of staff wanted was to start the season on 30 June. We knew we would be in it [via Fair Play] so we knew we had to finish fifth."

Fulham stand to play up to 23 ties in next season's Europa League but the manager, Mark Hughes, has welcomed the prospect. The club, under his predecessor, Roy Hodgson, reached the final of the competition last year, having qualified through Premier League position and entered at the third qualifying round, which they started on 30 July 2009. "It would be nice to get there," Hughes said, "because qualifying for Europe on top of finishing eighth in the league would cap an excellent season for us."

Redknapp expects the midfielder Jamie O'Hara to turn his loan move to Wolverhampton Wanderers into a permanent transfer now that the club has avoided relegation into the Championship. "I think that is part of the deal," Redknapp said. "If they stayed up, they had an agreement to buy him. I don't know for how much."