News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Ken Coton and Martin Plumb of Ashwater Press snubbed by Fulham FC..!

Started by LBNo11, May 26, 2011, 11:02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBNo11

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

26th May 2011

http://www.ken.coton.btinternet.co.uk/

What do Cheryl Cole and Ashwater Press have in common?

Answer: They've both been dumped this week!

- Cheryl by a tv programme; Ashwater by Fulham FC.

"After 364 days of negotiation, after 19 years of Fulham books, after 17 books about our favourite club, and after over 100 years of supporting the club by Ken and Martin, Ashwater Press has been told by Fulham FC that they have 'failed' in their attempt to become a 'licensed partner' for supplying books, as others offered a better 'all-round package'. (Whatever that means.) So currently, no Fulham books from Ashwater, no support from Fulham, nothing".

... :035: What an absolute disgrace, Ashwater Press have published most books about Fulham, among their many authors was the recently deceased Peter Thomson and Alex Ferguson aka "The Traveller". Fulham FC have had an ongoing 'feud' with Ken Coton and Martin Plumb even over selling the famous book Johnny Haynes "The Maestro".

Fulham FC, hang your sorry heads in shame :014:, this is disgraceful treatment of loyal and talented fans who love the club...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

mrska

Some of the people behind Fulham have always been petty...   this seems a shame ... Ive been looking at Ken Coton's pictures since i was 5 years old!

Supermitch

Yes, I saw about this earlier as well - is an outrage.  It's shoddy at best and the way that the true long time Fulham supporters are being treated is shameful.  I think sadly it is a sign of the times, just need to look up the road at the goings on at QPR this week for another example.

The particular piece that puzzled me was "....  a 'licensed partner' for supplying books, as others offered a better 'all-round package'..."  Who else would be able to offer a better package on books that the experts in Messrs Coton and Plumb? Well, I guess there may be quite a few who could provide the club with even greater profit margins, but the key flaw in that is that the books would not be about Fulham and therefore wouldn't sell anyway, at least not in Fulham outlets.

Sarah Brooks (or whoever it is) - you have a lot to be ashamed about.  What price loyalty  :013:

cutbushcitylimits

Ken's photo's are a massive part of the clubs history and people like him should be treated with respect....although i dont know the ins and outs of it but if you do then why not organise something to make the club aware of yours/our feelings?

It worked with Diddy !

Lighthouse

I have no idea the ins and outs of the problem. But Ashwater Press have been a fine servant to the club and its supporters, official or not. The older fans will remember the excellent photos in the prog every week taken by Ken Cotton. He will forever be remembered to taking pictures with heart, with charm and that actually showed movement. The modern stuff  sometimes lacks that.

Anyway, as I say,I don't know the ins and outs but will support Ashwater Press whenever possible,
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

cutbushcitylimits

sorry you may have misunderstood....i grew up with kens photos and he always seemed to catch that moment that the ball hit the back of the net(an art that seems to be missing from modern day programmes) my point is that if there ha been a wrong done..organise and get them to right it!
Quote from: Lighthouse on May 27, 2011, 12:01:05 AM
I have no idea the ins and outs of the problem. But Ashwater Press have been a fine servant to the club and its supporters, official or not. The older fans will remember the excellent photos in the prog every week taken by Ken Cotton. He will forever be remembered to taking pictures with heart, with charm and that actually showed movement. The modern stuff  sometimes lacks that.

Anyway, as I say,I don't know the ins and outs but will support Ashwater Press whenever possible,

Lighthouse

Quote from: cutbushcitylimits on May 27, 2011, 12:06:00 AM
 sorry you may have misunderstood....i grew up with kens photos and he always seemed to catch that moment that the ball hit the back of the net(an art that seems to be missing from modern day programmes) my point is that if there ha been a wrong done..organise and get them to right it!
Quote from: Lighthouse on May 27, 2011, 12:01:05 AM
I have no idea the ins and outs of the problem. But Ashwater Press have been a fine servant to the club and its supporters, official or not. The older fans will remember the excellent photos in the prog every week taken by Ken Cotton. He will forever be remembered to taking pictures with heart, with charm and that actually showed movement. The modern stuff  sometimes lacks that.

Sorry, nothing I wrote referred to anything you wrote. Just giving support and agreeing.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Snibbo

Ok so how do we organise an online petition, or a letter of concern to the club?

jarv

Others beat me to it. How do we organise and also thsi is a sign of the times.

Sad to read this, what next GJ has to go because he is not always pc.???

Keeping stuff shirts in place like the FA do is one thing but people associated with clubs with a proven tack record is another.

FULHAM   :tom: :tom: :tom: :tom: :tom: :tom: :tom: :tom: are you doing.

TonyGilroy

I guess the club look at these boards.

I won't buy any club merchandise of any sort from the club or in the ground until I can buy Ashwater books from the club shop. (and until they stop taking my bottle tops)

Mind you the profits for Ashwater will be much higher selling direct to supporters and the mods here could possibly help by displaying a prominent link.

SouthfieldWhite

Firstly this is a great shame and for a while now I feel the club are becoming further adrift from the fans, the problem is, alot of us have supported fulham for years and have always been use to us being a family club where the club and fans work together and help each other, sadly in this day and age, we have now become a business and are losing the close knit feel we've always had, we have grown. ten fold in this last 20 years.

Of course I will mention the supporters club, if Ee still had a strong and vibrant supporters club, it would give the fans a bit more of a voice
I was hoping that having a fan on the board of directors would of helped bring the gap between club and fans, but obviously not, that's not a slur on Dennis turner as I wonder how much insight he actually get,
Super Mitch I think you're wrong naming Sarah brookes, if you don't know who decisOni it was you shouldn't be naming people, think she gets a very bad press , she actually loves this club and cares deeply about it, where other people who work for fulham it's just a job to them, think it's a good idea to help Martin and ken out by putting links and spreading the word, hopfully between us fans we can try and keep a sense of a family club

SG

We have to be careful not to jump to the wrong conclusion not knowing any of the details and facts. However on the face of it it is extremely disappointing. Looking at it from the clubs position, which I am not saying is correct, many of these books are about our history and the so called golden years which in truth were in the main anything but golden except to us older members. The marketing side of the club is now focused on the last 10 years, the premier league and the, in general, much younger fanbase and so they probably see very limited appeal/demand for these books.

As someone has already pointed out Ashwater will probably make more money selling their books direct to the public through the various means. And before anyone shouts I have virtually all of the books published and Ken Coton's Fulham photos is my favourite - brilliant brilliant piece of work.

WhiteJC

"After 364 days of negotiation, after 19 years of Fulham books, after 17 books about our favourite club, and after over 100 years of supporting the club by Ken and Martin, Ashwater Press has been told by Fulham FC that they have 'failed' in their attempt to become a 'licensed partner' for supplying books, as others offered a better 'all-round package'. (Whatever that means.) So currently, no Fulham books from Ashwater, no support from Fulham, nothing".

all-round package = more money to Fulham than supplier?

richie17

It won't be Sarah, certainly.  There's a head of retail who has his remit and presumably his margins.  The Ashwater books are a priceless resource for Fulham fans and it's upsetting to learn that the club aren't interested in supporting this.  That said, it's my understanding that the club's retail margins are not unusual and (playing devil's advocate) perhaps the extremely high production values associated with the books do make it hard to keep costs down and therefore make Ashwater a worthwhile margin.  Again, it's a huge shame that such considerations outweigh others - there should be an Ashwater Corner in the shop! - but I suspect this is what might be happening.  The tragedy is that the amounts being negotiated over probably work out as about two days of David Elm's employment.  Football, eh?

The Equalizer

I can quite safely say that I'm utterly disgusted by this news. Anything that I can do to support Ashwater Press and lobby the club to rescind their decision will be done.

How they can turn away so many years of support and fabulous books is beyond me. The club will be contracting new titles out to shysters and neutral journos instead of getting the true supporters to do the job for love more than money.

What a load of balls.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

LBNo11

...I take SG's point about the last 10 years being of more interest to the younger generation and so would have presumably more sales - but the flaw in this is that the younger generation don't buy as many books, everything is electronic and Kindles etc.,

It IS the late twenties to seventies fan who will buy Fulham books (or have them bought for them)and appreciate the history of the Fulham Football Club.

The club had been bleeding Ashwaters profits by wanting such a high cut that there was little incentive to sell through the club, despite this they have negotiated and lost. Whoever wins the contract will produce - probably through Breedon as a publisher bland third party / corporate style publications. They can keep them.

Forget your history and forget your soul...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

finnster01

Amen to that Mr LBNo11.
Fulham shooting itself in the foot again
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

b+w geezer

It feels by extension a kick in the teeth to all of us of a certain age. At any rate reminds us we are on the way out and increasingly marginal (though as well complain that it gets cold in winter).  Boo anyway.

The move does seem particularly ironic at a time when the official website is taking everyone down memory lane with those history features. Do they want `legacy' or do they not?

TonyGilroy

What's missing of course is the club not having any concept of pleasing the supporters merely considering instead the bottom line of profits but that is now the way of the world.

Ashwater's potential buyers though will almost exclusively be the people who read the message boards and TOOFIF and that's where they should be directing their energies. Selling direct to fans maximises their profits.

epsomraver

Quote from: TonyGilroy on May 27, 2011, 11:23:02 AM
What's missing of course is the club not having any concept of pleasing the supporters merely considering instead the bottom line of profits but that is now the way of the world.

Ashwater's potential buyers though will almost exclusively be the people who read the message boards and TOOFIF and that's where they should be directing their energies. Selling direct to fans maximises their profits.

You only have to look at some of the tat they have and have had in the shop, also making anything in blue for a Fulham fan speaks volumes of how out of touch they are. There must be a way to galvanise support for Ashworth?