watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Gudjohnsen released from Stoke

Started by WhiteJC, May 31, 2011, 05:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.teamtalk.com/stoke-city/6961128/Stoke-announce-retained-list?

Stoke announce retained list

Stoke have officially confirmed that Abdoulaye Faye, Eidur Gudjohnsen and Ibrahima Sonko are the only players being released by the club.

Faye, Gudjohnsen and Sonko are all out of contract at the Britannia Stadium and, after falling out of the first-team picture, the trio will not be offered new deals.

Faye was named the Potters' player of the season as he helped them avoid relegation in his first year at the club, but he was unable to dislodge the successful partnership of Ryan Shawcross and Robert Huth over the past campaign.

Gudjohnsen, meanwhile, leaves after just four substitute appearances since joining from Monaco at the end of last summer's transfer window.

The former Chelsea forward struggled to get his fitness up to standard at Stoke and was loaned out to Fulham in January, with the Icelander yet to discover whether he has a future at Craven Cottage.

Sonko has made just one Carling Cup appearance for the Potters in the past two seasons and spent the most recent campaign on loan at Portsmouth.

He made a total of 17 appearances for Stoke after arriving from Reading in 2008.

Pulis told the club's official website: "We would like to thank Abdy, and both Ibrahima and Eidur for their contribution during their time here with us and wish them all the very best for the future."

Brede Butter Pudding

To sign a player of his quality for no fee would be a great capture, particularly because he'll be very much needed as part of our European tour. Sign him up Sparky  :clap_hands:

clint23

Quote from: Brede Butter Pudding on May 31, 2011, 05:42:07 PM
To sign a player of his quality for no fee would be a great capture, particularly because he'll be very much needed as part of our European tour. Sign him up Sparky  :clap_hands:

+1

Lighthouse

Not sure we really need to settle for lesser quality. I don't see the point of having old, inconsistant players, just because we are in the Europa. Set out sights higher than Guddy.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

sunburywhite

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

ImperialWhite

Quote from: Lighthouse on May 31, 2011, 06:53:15 PM
Not sure we really need to settle for lesser quality. I don't see the point of having old, inconsistant players, just because we are in the Europa. Set out sights higher than Guddy.

I disagree - he's younger than Duff, and he's proper class. Just two years ago he was playing regularly for Barcelona. I think if we keep him we'll see a renaissance in him like we saw in Duff the season before last.

He won't replace Zamora but he'll be an invaluable back up, especially if we end up in the group stages of Europa and beyond when we will have a lot of matches to play.

Besides, don't suppose he'll cost much - who's going to better Gudjohnsen without spending a lot of cash we probably won't get?