News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Houllier probably leaving Villa - hold on to your seats!

Started by AlFayedsChequebook, May 31, 2011, 09:51:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RidgeRider

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on May 31, 2011, 03:35:45 PM
Huge gamble or Huge opportunity?

I always like your posts RR but this is simply a grade A nutty idea, really batsh1t insane.

Fair enough. Perhaps this is the time to use this emoticon  090.gif
:011:

Burt

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on May 31, 2011, 03:35:45 PM
Quote from: RidgeRider on May 31, 2011, 03:27:43 PM
Quote from: finnster01 on May 31, 2011, 03:09:48 PM
Quote from: RidgeRider on May 31, 2011, 02:50:47 PM
Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on May 31, 2011, 02:38:58 PM
Quote from: RidgeRider on May 31, 2011, 02:35:32 PM
Quote from: HatterDon on May 31, 2011, 02:33:16 PM
My only concern is that Hughes's agent will think this is a good opportunity to get some extra salary out of MAF and piss the old gent off.

or he will run like hell, like Hodgson did, to get a way from our wonderfully eccentric chairman

I doubt that was the motivation for Hodgson leaving - he always had a good relationship with Mo - remember, Mo was offering him a job for life!

You may be right but Hodgson was on yearly contracts, presumably so he could leave when he wanted but giving the appearance of sticking around while.

The Liverpool job was a convenient excuse, in my conspiracy theory, to leave. That job was FULL of issues, not the least of which there was ownership change in very near future, and the guy who was heading the job search was temporary. If you apply these circumstances to the business world, you would never make that change unless you were younger and still looking to make a name for yourself. Of course everything I just wrote good be a load of bull and not worthy of the time it took me to type it but it IS something I have always suspected...meaning Hodgson just wanted out.
I actually think what made him move in addition to the opportunity (and certainly not the MAF conspiracy) was the fact he is 64 years old and has been a travelling nomad work wise all his life. I know that his wife was tired of it and just wanted to finally settle in one place so she could enjoy more time with her grand children. She is from Liverpool. Great oppty with a Big 4, more money, possibly your last job, and your wife wants to finally move home (i.e. no more nagging at home).

Thing is was it REALLY an opportunity? You maybe right about living in Liverpool but he ain't working there now and he MUST have known that it was HIGHLY likely he would not have the job once the new ownership place took place. Finn, you know better than most that when there is a new ownership at a company coming and you came into the job under the previous owner (a failing one at that) your chances of survival is not good. Hodgson had to have known this job was a HUGE gamble, more so than under most any other circumstance.

Huge gamble or Huge opportunity?

I always like your posts RR but this is simply a grade A nutty idea, really batsh1t insane.

The feeling of being flattered by being given the opportunity to work for a top name, on the back of a very successful season, would be more than enough to suppress any meaningful introspection as to whether it would work out or not.

You get the chance. You go for it.

It didn't work out.

TonyGilroy

And add into the mix that after the Europa he probably felt that the only way at Fulham was going to be down.

Lighthouse

Nobody, except Roy and Liverpool thought it was going to work. Roy and his style never suited Liverpool, either tactically or personally. Real ambition would have been to make Fulham bigger, not try and recapture Liverpools once shining past.

If we only have ambitions to stay in the Prem and win the odd honour before we go down than so be it. But why can't we have the ambition to finish even higher than we are doing? Roy leaving was his mistake and one most of the fans could foresee. If Hughes goes then I see little point in building for a better future, if we cannot keep managers and players from teams who, right now, are no better than us.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

MJG

Quote from: Lighthouse on May 31, 2011, 06:59:54 PM
Nobody, except Roy and Liverpool thought it was going to work. Roy and his style never suited Liverpool, either tactically or personally. Real ambition would have been to make Fulham bigger, not try and recapture Liverpools once shining past.

oh come on, its Liverpool, one of the two biggest clubs in the country, you don't turn that job down if your a manager.

Yes we all knew he was not a right fit, just as most knew that Keegan would be wrong for England with his lack of tactical brain.

In a fantasy world Roy would have stayed. Built an empire of 442 all through the club......but hang on, a lot of u on here think Roys tactics were boring, we never won away, he never uses subs etc etc etc. Why moan about him leaving.

The best a club like ours can do is build a good base of a youth setup and as thes manager of the first team will change every few years,its just the way it is in the prem for all the clubs apart from Arsenal and Man Utd.
Much easier for someone to build a club and take them forward if you in lower lgs.