watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Aston Villa target Mark Hughes to replace Gérard Houllier as manager

Started by mike_f, May 31, 2011, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Me-ate-Live, innit??

I am a huge supporter of Mark Hughes and IMO,  his appointment was a huge leap for us and we are now, more than at any time in the Premiership,  viewed in a serious light.  Look at his signings,  done in a very tight time frame. Whatever we may think of Salcido,  he was  a world class player with a high profile, Dembélé is the most exciting player we have had since Saha.  Rafik Hallice was a gamble, we acquired him cheaply because of his injury, he is a great player with huge potential and  he may well be our star player next season.

Consider also, that he (Sparky) may not be the reason for the delay,  I would imagine he  is sorted, the delay is probably due to the T & C for his possy, there is a lot of them after all.  

But if  he does walk,  so what ???  We all loved Roy and he was shown the love,  look what that got us ....nothing.  Appreciation for Sparky is at the other end of the scale, at best muted..................so maybe that will work in our favour, he will want to prove a point.

So then, if Sparky shoots off with his gang of 5, to the Midlands and close to his home in Cheshire,  there is always  Mo's best friend,  who lives a short drive away and he is beautifully rested.  He was strongly connected to us when Tigena finished chewing his stick  and also when Cookie was shown the door, he is a regular at The Cottage.

Stand up Martin O'Neill  

Life is good when there are options  :dft012:

BalDrick

'Stand up Martin O'Neill 

'Life is good when there are options'

Indeed, when the options are good. Personally think O'Neill is massively overrated. There's worse out there sure; be far happier with O'Neill than Jones for instance. Mclaren might be a good shout - another who could do with getting his CV back up to the level it was a few years ago. We're just rehab for managers who've messed up for a few seasons aren't we?
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Sure there are but O'Neill is a good starting point.  starting the bar at him is not a bad place to be ..............
Anyone but Jol
If he is appointed the Season ticket will go back.

mike_f

Quote from: KCat on June 01, 2011, 09:38:48 AM
Anyone but Jol
If he is appointed the Season ticket will go back.
Why don't you like him?

From MOs point of view he's cheap and apparently plays good football.

Failed at Spurs and Ajax in my opinion though.

Me-ate-Live, innit??

He lied to Macintosh about his contract,  that negotiation showed him to be a shifty creature with little to commend him ...................... which caused the  delayed to the appointment of Sparky.

Besides, I do not like him, he is an ex-Spurt, he likes to spend money on luxury players 
....................................and he cannot pronounce his rrrrrrrr's  :005:  

TonyGilroy

MAF doesn't give second chances.

If Hughes leaves there's more chance of me being the next manager than Martin Jol.

AlFayedsChequebook

I really hope we go abroad for our manager - there are some quality ones out there.

Foreign managers are less likely to get poached as clubs are always looking for the next best 'english' or 'british' manager.

Martin O'Neill and other names are the same ones that keep swirling around year on year and seem to get jobs without having to prove themselves.

mike_f

Fair points Kcat

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on June 01, 2011, 09:56:17 AM
I really hope we go abroad for our manager - there are some quality ones out there.

Foreign managers are less likely to get poached as clubs are always looking for the next best 'english' or 'british' manager.

Martin O'Neill and other names are the same ones that keep swirling around year on year and seem to get jobs without having to prove themselves.

Can you name any?

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: mike_f on June 01, 2011, 10:05:39 AM
Fair points Kcat

Can you name any?

Luigi Del Neri
Ranieri
Francesco Guidolin
Marco Bielsa (if we want proper attacking football)
Martin Jol
Manuel Pellegrini

The Equalizer

Not to mention Guus Hiddinck, Guardiola, Frank Rijkaard... all of them potential Fulham targets should Hughes leave....
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

mike_f

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on June 01, 2011, 10:12:24 AM
Quote from: mike_f on June 01, 2011, 10:05:39 AM
Fair points Kcat

Can you name any?

Luigi Del Neri
Ranieri
Francesco Guidolin
Marco Bielsa (if we want proper attacking football)
Martin Jol
Manuel Pellegrini
You seem to havegood knowledge.

I wouldn't take Ranieri, Pellegrini probably wouldn't come (Malaga are loaded aren't they?), Del Neri probably wouldn't come from Juventus (they are spending big bucks this summer apparently) and never heard of the other two.

Martin Jol would probably be the favourite, unfortunately.

richie17

Bielsa was manager of Chile, the only team to have a go at Spain in the world cup.  He played some crazy fluid formations including various sweeper configurations, and would be amazing to see. 

Basil

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: richie17 on June 01, 2011, 10:21:33 AM
Bielsa was manager of Chile, the only team to have a go at Spain in the world cup.  He played some crazy fluid formations including various sweeper configurations, and would be amazing to see. 

Bielsa's team would be something like this:

Schwarzer

Hughes  Hangeland  Senderos

Dembele  Murphy Sidwell Dempsey

AJ     Zamora     Duff

Bielsa is a tactically gifted Ian Holloway!

elgreenio

McLaren the best of both worlds now he's been around Europe a bit?

Nobody mentioned Tigana yet  075.gif
touch my camera through the fence

FFCcravencottage

Well the Villa fans clearly don't want Hughes as their next manager, Moyes is clear favourite in their poll.
http://www.villatalk.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=67776

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: FFCcravencottage on June 01, 2011, 11:16:51 AM
Well the Villa fans clearly don't want Hughes as their next manager, Moyes is clear favourite in their poll.

Unfortunately what the fans want is rarely what the fans get.

Remember the board was going to give Houllier another few years in charge, much to the fans chagrin.

ImperialWhite

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on June 01, 2011, 10:30:22 AM

Schwarzer

AJ     Zamora     Duff

Exciting but... can't see Dembélé and Dempsey putting in enough of a defensive shift to make that work!

I'd love to see McClaren here.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: ImperialWhite on June 01, 2011, 11:38:54 AM
Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on June 01, 2011, 10:30:22 AM

Schwarzer

AJ     Zamora     Duff

Exciting but... can't see Dembélé and Dempsey putting in enough of a defensive shift to make that work!

I'd love to see McClaren here.

Bielsa does not know the meaning of 'defensive' so that would not be a problem.

I am divided about McClaren, on the one hand, he has gone abroad and proven himself to a certain degree, on the other, he was disliked by many in Middlesborough and obviously failed spectacularly at the England job.

I would probably rather see him go to Villa and us keep Hughes.

elgreenio

Quote from: FFCcravencottage on June 01, 2011, 11:16:51 AM

on another board I frequent it's pretty much a dead heat between Hughes and Moyes
touch my camera through the fence