https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (02/06/11)

Started by WhiteJC, June 02, 2011, 07:35:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8256744

I'm not next Schwarzer yet: Langerak

He's tipped by some as the most likely to succeed Mark Schwarzer down the track for Australia but young gun Mitch Langerak is keeping his feet firmly on the ground ahead of a likely Socceroos debut.

The 22 year old has emerged as one of Australia's brightest goalkeeping prospects after making an encouraging switch to German champions Borussia Dortmund from Melbourne Victory last season.

Langerak is vying with Adam Federici and Nathan Coe for game time in Sunday's friendly against New Zealand in Adelaide and Tuesday's clash with Serbia in Melbourne, in the rare absence of 38-year-old Schwarzer due to groin surgery.

And while some believe it could be the start of a bright international career, the down-to-earth shot stopper insists the race to replace the legendary Schwarzer, when he eventually calls time on his career, is wide open.

"It's only words, it doesn't mean anything," Langerak said of talk he could be Australia's next first-choice No.1.

"It still comes down to how I perform and things like that.

"Australia's got such good goalkeeping depth, it's going to be a big battle for the job between the sticks over the next five to ten years.

"It's a privilege to be here in the squad, it's not a given, and everyone's here on merit.

"Whoever plays will do a great job and hopefully I get the chance."

Langerak would appear likely to play at least 45 minutes against the All Whites on Sunday with Federici only joining the Australian camp late on Wednesday night after his English club Reading lost out in the promotion playoff to Swansea on Monday.

He acknowledged any game time in the friendly matches would provide an opportunity to enhance his credentials but played down the games as a showdown with Federici and Coe.

Langerak impressed on debut for Dortmund in a 3-1 win over powerhouse Bayern Munich and said he was willing to bide his time to get more first-team action in the coming campaign.

He earned a place in the squad for Australia's friendly win over Germany in March and said he was keeping in contact with Schwarzer.

"We exchange a few texts ... He told me I can give him a call, ask him questions, it's good to have his number if I need to," he said.

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/fulham-boss-hughes-now-free-speak-aston-villa-1670581?

Fulham boss Hughes now free to speak with Aston Villa

Free agent Mark Hughes is expected to hold talks with managerless Aston Villa.

The Daily Mail says Hughes' deal as Fulham manager expired on Wednesday night, making him a free agent.

While Fulham still wish for Hughes to continue in his role, he is technically no longer their manager after a contract deadline passed.

As Fulham officials desperately tried to convince the 47-year-old to stay — and further talks are planned with the board — a June 1 break clause in his brief one-year contract kicked in.

Aston Villa is a natural new home for Hughes after Gerard Houllier left the club, but there are believed to be other options available for the Welshman.

While it is not inconceivable that a change of heart will see him stay at Craven Cottage, Hughes wants to further his career after an impressive season when he took Fulham to eighth and qualified for the Europa League through the Fair Play table.

WhiteJC

Spoiling the Party!
This Saturday evening England entertain Switzerland at Wembley.

The game could very well pit two Fulham players against each other. Bobby Zamora, fancied to start with Wayne Rooney absent and Peter Crouch carrying a knock, could be marked by his Fulham colleague Philippe Senderos.

Senderos, who only managed to shake off an Achilles injury in the dying embers of the season, is likely to form the backbone of the Switzerland defence and, quite rightly, is looking forward t the clash, promising that Switzerland are looking to upset the apple-cart, or as Senderos puts it,

"It`s up to us to ruin the England players` summer holidays. They are certain to approach the game thinking about going away."

"We want to pull off a shock and mess them up. We have a fresh new side and feel like we are at the start of something new"

The European Championship qualifier also gives Senderos the chance to play at Wembley, something else he`s been looking forward to, further commenting,

"I`ve had Saturday`s match on my mind for a long time."

"It is always special to play England at Wembley."

"The Emirates, Anfield and Old Trafford are reference points but Wembley is out there on its own."

Who`ll come out on top folks?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=243409#ixzz1O7XtjTX7

WhiteJC

Leave Off Hughes!
Yesterday we reported on how Mark Hughes had suddenly been catapulted into the frame to become the next manager of Aston Villa.

Following events yesterday, the scenario is fast approaching a point where something could happen.

Aston Villa, due to Gerard Houllier`s health, agreed a severance package with the Frenchman and are now, definitely, on the look-out for a replacement.

Fulham, wary of Hughes being on the hit-list, have, reportedly responded by telling Villa not to approach Hughes. But, and it is a big but, there appears to be no indication as to whether Hughes activated the clause in his contract that could make him a free agent.

Other articles we stumbled on suggest that Fulham have also offered Hughes a new deal with his pay improved.

Like we said earlier, something could happen very soon!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=243410#ixzz1O7Y889hX

WhiteJC

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/6962957/Look-Hughes-now-a-free-agent?

Look Hughes now a free agent

Aston Villa's hopes of luring Mark Hughes appear to have been boosted after the Welshman's contract at Fulham expired.

Hughes - the odd-on favourite to succeed Gerard Houllier - is technically a free agent after his June 1 contract deadline passed.

The Cottagers want the 47-year-old to stay after he masterminded an eighth-placed league finish, as well as qualification for the Europa League through the Fair Play table, last season - and further talks between the two parties are expected to take place.

But Villa are understood to be keen to exploit the Welshman's break clause after agreeing a severance package with Houllier.

Houllier left Villa Park on Wednesday night after just nine months in charge, with owner Randy Lerner considering it too risky to keep the Frenchman on following his heart scare.

Houllier's assistant, Gary McAllister, former Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez and Everton's David Moyes have also been linked with the Villa Park hotseat.

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_6962933,00.html?

Hughes linked to Villa role
Fulham boss could be set to leave Craven Cottage

Fulham boss Mark Hughes has emerged as the hot favourite to be appointed as the new manager of Aston Villa following Gerard Houllier's departure.

Hughes was appointed on a two-year deal at Craven Cottage last summer and guided the club to an eighth place top-flight finish and a place in the Europa League via their Fair Play standing.

And while the West London outfit are eager for him to remain at the helm, Hughes is understood to have a 12-month release clause in his contract, leaving him open to approaches from rival Premier League clubs.

The Fulham board are keen to hold further talks with the former Wales and Blackburn manager in the coming days but recent events at Villa Park could leave them regretting their decision not to secure Hughes' long-term future sooner.

Very vocal

Villa began their hunt for a new manager on Wednesday evening when they announced Houllier would be leaving the Midlands outfit after just nine months in charge due to concerns over his long-term health.

The former Liverpool boss was admitted to hospital in April complaining of chest pains and was forced to take a break from the dug-out for the final games of the season with Gary McAllister taking temporary charge.

Former England boss Steve McClaren, Everton manager David Moyes and ex-Liverpool and Inter Milan chief Rafa Benitez, who has been very vocal over his availability in recent weeks, have also been linked with the post.

Villa will be keen to make a swift appointment this summer having seen their plans for last term thrown into turmoil by the abrupt departure of Martin O'Neill on the eve of the new season

Sky Bet odds

Mark Hughes - 1/3

Carlo Ancelotti - 4/1

Steve McClaren - 9/2

Roberto Martinez - 6/1

Rafa Benitez - 8/1

David Moyes - 10/1

Martin Jol - 12/1

Gary McAllister - 16/1

WhiteJC

http://www.sportsvibe.co.uk/news/football/qpr-could-start-summer-spending-by-swooping-for-england-striker/?

QPR Could Start Summer Spending by Swooping for England Striker

Queen Park Rangers have reportedly been quoted £4 million for the services of Fulham frontman Andy Johnson.

30 year-old Johnson has become something of a Premier League journeyman after spells at Crystal Palace and Everton before moving to Craven Cottage in 2008.

However, it is unlikely that Mark Hughes will be overly concerned about losing the eight-cap England international.

Despite being given a generous run the the first team this season, Johnson did not set the world alight and finished with a final tally of just three goals from 24 league appearances.

Hughes has other, more prolific, attackers at his disposal, including the fit-again Bobby Zamora, and will certainly be looking to bolster his options in the close season to improve on this year's eighth-placed finish.

Given that Johnson is thought to be open to a move to west London, the only obstacle to his sale will be his wages, which are allegedly in the £40,000 per week region.

Should the newly-promoted side not be able to stump up the cash, West Brom are waiting in the wings for a smash-and-grab deal, having earmarked Johnson as a suitable foil for the sparky talents of Peter Odemwingie. 

WhiteJC

World Cup Target

Mark Schwarzer has outlined his desire to retain his spot between the posts for Australia, targeting the 2014 FIFA World Cup.

The Fulham keeper was, once again, an influential figure at the back for the Whites for a large part of the 2010/11 campaign and with his domestic form as strong as ever, he is looking to extend his record as Australia's most capped player.

"After the last World Cup I had a discussion with the new manager [Holger Osieck] who came in with regards to my future and how he saw my future going," Schwarzer explained. "I expressed my thoughts on the whole situation and left it down to him.

"He expressed his desire for me to continue playing. He's fully committed to the plans for me to be involved in the future and be part of it - but the bottom line is you have to perform. As long as I can juggle the two of them [club and international football], which I've done for 15 odd years, and it doesn't affect my club football then why would I want to stop?

"You're a long time retired and for me there's no greater honour than playing for your country. I cherish every moment I get to play for my country. I want to play for Australia for as long as I can. I don't want to give that up and until someone comes along and says move over old-timer and I'm good enough to knock you off your perch, I will continue to play.

"I think today too many countries give out shirts and caps too easily. For me you have to earn the right to wear a shirt. It should be something you should have to work damn hard to earn."

The long hours of crossing continents for international duty are certainly a demanding aspect of Schwarzer's career but the big stopper takes it all in his stride thanks to the support of his family.

"You do have to make sacrifices along the way and I have a very understanding family," he explained. "My wife is unbelievably understanding with regards to my desires to represent my country. It's her country as well and she understands that.

"We also have two children who are a big part of my life and they have to fit into my life as well. At this moment in time football is a big part of our lives and they also embrace it and play a big part in my success on the football pitch.

"We're very much open to what we're going to do and like I've said before, we love it here. Surrey is a fantastic part of England to live and we haven't got any concrete plans what to do after football."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/June/SchwarzerInternationalAmbition.aspx?#ixzz1O7ZXrxcs

WhiteJC

http://www.fanhouse.co.uk/2011/06/02/mark-hughes-on-his-way-out-at-fulham-but-is-he-going-to-vill/?

Mark Hughes on His Way Out at Fulham ... But is He Going to Villa or Chelsea?

Mark Hughes' contract has expired at Fulham - but his next destination is not certain to be Villa Park - with Chelsea emerging as a shock alternative.

All the smart money was on Hughes becoming Randy Lerner's third manager in less than 12-months - when his deal with Fulham ran out at the start of June.

But with Guus Hiddink still not certain to accept the post vacated by Carlo Ancelotti, Stamford Bridge has become a potential next move for the 47-year-old Welshman.

As a former player, Hughes has an affinity with the club and it is thought Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich has made tentative enquiries about Hughes, should Hiddink reject a return.

What is certain is that Hughes is a free agent again, after his contract deadline at Craven Cottage passed without him signing a new deal.

The terms of his previous contract allowed for a holiday period between June and July in 2011 and that clause has kicked in, so he is technically no longer manager at the London club.

Fulham officials have been working frantically in the last few weeks to try to persuade Hughes to sign a new two-year extension, after his impressive first season at the club.

Aston Villa owner Lerner has been aware of the contract issue for several weeks and identified Hughes as his preferred choice, while the negotiations over Gerard Houllier's severance pay were concluded.

With the legal wranglings completed and Houllier's £2.5 million pay-off concluded, Villa are free to move for Hughes and would not have to pay any compensation.

Lerner has been a long-time admirer of Hughes and narrowly missed the opportunity to appoint him last season, following the shock departure of Martin O'Neill.

O'Neill quit five days before the Premier League kick-off, by which time Hughes had signed a deal with Mohammed Al-Fayed. Despite that, Villa still considered an approach until they backed out and opted for Houllier.

Fulham issued Villa with a polite warning to steer clear of Hughes, but that appears futile now as does any plan to try to offer him improved terms on the two-year deal he refused to sign.

This is not about cash for Hughes. It is about kudos and the chance to operate at the top of his profession with a high profile club. He remains angered by the way he was treated at Manchester City and is desperate to prove a point to the owners at Eastlands.

Finishing eighth in the Premier League and taking Fulham into the Europa League, via the Fair Play rankings is a start, but he wants to make a far bigger statement.

Whether that will be at Stamford Bridge or Villa Park remains to be seen.

WhiteJC

Fulham's Kelly committed to Irish cause amid spate of withdrawals

As a man who has lived the dream and captained his country, no wonder Stephen Kelly doesn't get it.

Stay-aways, sicknotes, cry offs. Since he was a teenager, Kelly has never turned down an opportunity to play for his country, and he never will.

And he can't understand those who have done so in the last week.

Pride: Stephen Kelly (left) is disappointed with the number of Ireland call offs
He said: 'I don't get it, I just don't understand it. Maybe it's different for the guys who haven't been brought up here, they don't have the same feel for it, the same Irishness about things and same feeling for the big events growing up here.

'For me, it's probably the highest honour you can have in football. I know people talk about clubs, and Champions League and how clubs see themselves as being bigger than countries. But you're representing your country.

'I remember watching World Cups, getting half-days from school, street parties. You know the buzz I get thinking back to those days, USA '94 and all of that. The whole country was in uproar, like a craze.

'Even the World Cup when Robbie and Damien took part, I remember going to see them coming home at the Phoenix Park. It was just amazing. To be part of that now, words can't describe it.

'Of course we talk about it in the hotel, we'd be like zombies or something if we weren't talking about what's been in the press and what's going on outside.

'We're all delighted to be here, we love representing Ireland. Any opportunity we're given, we'll take it. That's great credit to the players who are here, they've shown that commitment.'

Memories: Ireland reached the last 16 of the 1994 World Cup
If there is tension in the air this week, which is reducing now as the players prepare for their match against Macedonia, there could be fun and games ahead when/if the likes of McCarthy, Walters, Clark are recalled.

'It depends on the circumstances,' he said. 'If they come in for friendlies, fair enough.  If we qualify for Euro 2012 and they start knocking on the door, that's different isn't it?

'All Irish people want is 100 per cent commitment from their team. Nobody expects us to go out and beat Brazil and play amazing football. They want to see the passion that Irish people deserve to see from their international team.

'It's important we make it to a championship for the supporters. Irish people have been famous no matter where we've gone in the world, for taking loads of people, being the heart and soul of the party and you can see that dwindling now already.

'Even in 2009, you could see how much of a blow it was that we didn't get to the World Cup. The whole country was on the brink of exploding. The way things were economically, it would have been a great boost for people to support something else and forget about what was happening domestically.

'Falling at the last hurdle was devastating but you could see that night in Paris there, the spark was back. The Irish people were ready to go again and hopefully we can get there again.'

Dramatic: Robbie Keane (right) scored to earn Ireland a draw with Germany in 2002
Kelly has a new nickname at Fulham thanks to his temporary elevation as Ireland captain.

The moment Kelly walked in to Craven Cottage, the day after he had captained Ireland against Uruguay, manager Mark Hughes called him 'skipper'. And it has stuck.

The tongue-in-cheek moniker is a sign of the affection Hughes and Kelly's team-mates have for the 27-year-old recruit from Belvedere.

It is also recognition which has reminded the Cottagers boss of the defender's prowess, and the belief Giovanni Trapattoni for one has in a player who is much-travelled, and desperate to prove his worth to his fourth Premier League club.

Kelly said: 'They were really, really delighted for me. They see how hard I work every day in training and what it means to come back and play for Ireland. They know how passionate I am about playing for my country.

Protest: Ireland missed out on the 2010 World Cup after Thierry Henry's handball
'It was huge for me. I think my confidence, regardless of what has happened at club level, is at an all time high. I feel extremely good about myself, and really at the top of my game.'

The former Spurs and Birmingham man was arguably in the form of his life at the start of the season, following Hughes's appointment.

But an agonising calf injury forced him out of the Fulham first team for almost two months. Before taking the armband for the March friendly, Kelly had spent nearly three months on the bench, watching Carlos Salcido play in his stead.

Kelly said: 'The team did well, which was frustrating for me to watch.

'The type of manager that Mark Hughes is that if a team is doing well, he sticks by them. I love that in a manager because when I am in the team doing well I think the manager is going to pick me.

'As hard as that is to take you have got to take it on the chin sometimes.

Made to feel welcome: Kelly (left) has impressed since joining Fulham
'Coming away with Ireland has allowed me to show that I am still fit and able to play at a high level.'

Like so many in Trapattoni's squad, Kelly faces an uncertain future at his current club. Like every member of the panel, and his international manager, he wants to play every week.

That may have to be away from Craven Cottage, although solid performances in the green of Ireland cannot have gone unnoticed.

With a Europa Cup campaign to consider from July after Fulham qualified as England's Fair Play nominees, Kelly will be in no rush to quit the club. He did well out of their last European journey to the final.

'The Europa League was a great experience for me and the club,' he said. 'Some of the games you're involved in you can only dream about, like that night we beat Juventus 4-1 at the Cottage. That was just like stuff from a story book, an amazing opportunity.

Gutted: Fulham lost to Atletico Madrid in the Europa League final
'It was a great time for the club and it really put us on the map. We surprised everybody with how far we went and in demonstrating how capable we were as a team. To be part of that, and to showcase yourself on that stage, was fantastic.

'I'm contracted to Fulham and that's the team I am at. We're in Europe again next season so there are going to be a lot of games. As far as I'm concerned, it's well within my capabilities to get into the team and I want another crack at it.

'I feel as if I start the season, and stay fit, there's no reason why I shouldn't stay in the team.

'The manager is the kind who'll start with a clean slate and he'll go with who' s done best in pre-season, that's what he did last year.

'Hopefully I can go back with renewed confidence and prove myself again to start the season on a high.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1393468/Fulham-Stephen-Kelly-committed-Ireland.html#ixzz1O7aAemqd

WhiteJC

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/8552041/Mark-Hughes-considers-future-at-Fulham-and-could-replace-Gerard-Houllier-at-Aston-Villa.html

Mark Hughes considers future at Fulham and could replace Gerard Houllier at Aston Villa
Mark Hughes is expected to resign as Fulham manager today amid speculation he is a contender to replace Gerard Houllier at Aston Villa.

Hughes, 47, signed a one-year contract at Craven Cottage last summer, with the option for another 12 months, but he is now poised to trigger a break clause that allows him to leave Fulham without compensation before the start of next season.

There is no indication that Hughes has another job already lined up but he is an experienced Premier League manager who guided Fulham to a top 10 finish last season and is likely to attract offers from a host of clubs.

Now that Houllier's exit has been rubber-stamped, Villa have confirmed that the search has begun for a new manager, with Hughes pinpointed as their main target.

Houllier's nine-month at Villa reign ended because of recent heart problems, which resulted in the Frenchman not taking charge for the final five games of last season.

Villa chief executive Paul Faulkner said: "As a board, we are very conscious of the need to ensure that the club is prepared fully to meet the demands of the new season.

"To that end, we have already embarked upon the process which will lead to the appointment of a new manager."

David Moyes, Carlo Ancelotti, Steve McClaren, Rafael Benitez and Roberto Martinez are other names being linked with Villa.

WhiteJC

Hughes To Walk Away From Fulham?
The two frontrunners for the Villa Park hotseat remain Carlo Ancelotti and Mark Hughes, but nobody seems to know if Hughes is still in a job?

There are plenty of rumours going round about Hughes at the moment, some suggest Fulham have warned Villa about approaching him and offered him a seriously improved deal, whereas others suggest he may have enacted his option of walking away.

When Hughes joined Fulham on his initial 2 year deal, there was an option where he could cancel the contract yesterday for a minimal compensation fee.

In recent days it's been reported that Hughes and Fulham have been negotiating a new deal, but it seems the only thing that anybody is sure of is that those talks stalled.

I would imagine we'll know if Hughes has walked away or if the press are just getting excited over nothing before the end of the day.

In either scenario, I can't imagine Fulham won't issue a full response soon, but both Ancelotti and Hughes seem to be the favourites amongst fans (outside of Moyes) but even then, there isn't anywhere near 100% agreement.

It's going to be a full couple of days!

Read more: http://www.astonvilla.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=7508894#ixzz1O7bkvW9u

WhiteJC

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/53910/Martinez_and_Hughes_linked_with_Villa.aspx?

Martinez and Hughes linked with Villa

Wigan's Roberto Martinez and Fulham's Mark Hughes have been linked with the vacant job at Aston Villa following Gerard Houllier's exit.

Houllier, who missed the end of the 2010/2011 season after suffering heart problems, has been forced to stand down as manager at Villa Park due to issues with his health.

A club statement read: "The club can confirm that, by mutual consent, Gerard Houllier has stepped down as manager of Aston Villa with immediate effect.

"The 63-year-old took charge in September 2010 but suffered a dissection of the descending aorta in April 2011.

"He was unable to take charge of team affairs for the final five games of the season and doctors have advised that he will require further time to recuperate.

"The club and Gerard have agreed amicably to this resolution and the search has begun for a new manager in order to prepare the team for the coming season."

Fulham boss Mark Hughes is the leading contender to replace Houllier, while Everton boss David Moyes has already ruled himself out as a possible successor.

Wigan boss Roberto Martinez, who guided the Latics to safety this season, has also been linked with the role, as have ex-England boss Steve McClaren, former Liverpool and Inter Milan boss Rafael Benitez and former Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti, who was sacked by Chelsea at the end of the season.

WhiteJC

Fulham won't confirm Mark Hughes is still manager as Aston Villa job looms
Mark Hughes has moved a step closer to joining Aston Villa after Fulham refused to confirm the Welshman is still their manager.

The former Manchester United and Chelsea striker has been installed as odds-on favourite with the bookies after reports this morning that he was set to resign before the end of the day.

Hughes signed a two-year contract at Craven Cottage last summer, but it seems he is now poised to trigger a break clause that allows him to leave Fulham for a 'bigger club' with only minimal compensation being paid.

Fulham bosses have refused to comment on the speculation.

It is thought Hughes relishes the idea of managing a club with bigger spending power than the Cottagers' modest resources, and Villa owner Randy Lerner has continuously backed his managers in the transfer market.

Villa chief executive Paul Faulkner confirmed the club's search to replace Gerard Houllier had begun, saying: 'As a board, we are very conscious of the need to ensure that the club is prepared fully to meet the demands of the new season.

'To that end, we have already embarked upon the process which will lead to the appointment of a new manager.'

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/865086-fulham-wont-confirm-mark-hughes-is-still-manager-as-aston-villa-job-looms#ixzz1O7cw90vB

WhiteJC

Fulham make desperate attempt to keep Aston Villa target Mark Hughes

FULHAM are desperately trying to thrash out a new deal today that keeps Mark Hughes as manager – even though the Whites boss is on holiday.

Sparky's representatives are hopeful of negotiating a lucrative new contract for the 47-year-old at Craven Cottage, and Chronicle Sport understands Aston Villa – 11/10 favourites to make Hughes their next manager – have yet to make their move, officially or unofficially.

The man who took the club to a heady eighth in the Premiership in his first season, became a free agent this week as part of his rolling contract arrangement that further muddies the waters.

But the Whites are willing to go the extra mile over a new package and avoid Europa League plans being thrown into disarray when the squad report back for early duty in just over two weeks.

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/06/02/fulham-make-desperate-attempt-to-keep-aston-villa-target-mark-hughes-82029-28809154/?#ixzz1O7dat9df

WhiteJC

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-23955867-carlo-ancelotti-and-mark-hughes-top-aston-villas-wish-list.do?

Carlo Ancelotti and Mark Hughes top Aston Villa's wish list

Aston Villa's search for a new manager is now a straight fight between Carlo Ancelotti and Mark Hughes.

Villa are expected to make an appointment next week after Gerard Houllier left by mutual consent yesterday.

Both of their favoured candidates are available. Hughes had a break clause in his two-year deal at Craven Cottage triggered yesterday. He has yet to agree new terms despite having talks over an extension over the past few weeks.

Ancelotti, who was fired by Chelsea last month, successfully negotiated for a clause to be taken out of his contract which prevented him from working for another English club within 12 months of leaving Stamford Bridge.

The Italian, who has already been sounded out by Villa, has made finding a job in England his priority and is prepared to wait for an opportunity to arise.

He is still highly ambitious and wants to take control of a club with genuine hopes of challenging for silverware domestically and in Europe.

Tottenham are also understood to have put Ancelotti on their wish-list whenever Harry Redknapp, whose long-term future at White Hart Lane is in doubt, leaves. But Villa are ready to make a move for him now having been impressed by his two years at Stamford Bridge. Ancelotti made history 13 months ago, when he became the first Chelsea manager to win the Double of Premier League and FA Cup.

The 51-year-old won may admirers for the style of football he employed at Stamford Bridge as well as the manner in which he handled the media, which improved Chelsea's image. Ancelotti was sacked by owner Roman Abramovich at the end of this season even though the club still finished second in the League.

Hughes is also a very strong contender, however, with Villa having targeted the former Manchester United striker when Martin O'Neil quit last August.

Fulham are fighting hard to keep their man and remain optimistic that they can convince him to stay.

The former Manchester City boss starred in his first season at the club after guiding them to eighth place in the Premier League, one position above Villa. Fulham will want an end to the uncertainty soon as they are starting their Europa League campaign at the end of the month.

WhiteJC

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/mystery-surrounds-hughes-future-1221290.html?

Mystery surrounds Hughes future

Fulham boss Mark Hughes is the leading contender to take over at Aston Villa after Gerard Houllier's departure, according to reports.

Houllier has been forced to stand down at Villa due to health problems and Hughes is Villa's top choice to replace the Frenchman.

Hughes signed a 12-month contract when he took over at Fulham last year and he could now move to Villa Park without Villa having to pay any compensation as he is out of contract at Craven Cottage.

As yet there has been no word from either Hughes, Villa or Fulham and it remains to be seen whether or not the Welshman will depart Craven Cottage.

Hughes is not the only name in the frame to take charge of the Midlands outfit, with Carlo Ancelotti, Steve McClaren, Rafael Bentiez and Roberto Martinez also said to be in Villa's sights.

WhiteJC

http://www.hounslowchronicle.co.uk/west-london-sport/west-london-brentford-fc/2011/06/02/fulham-frontman-set-for-brentford-return-109642-28810295/?

Fulham frontman set for Brentford return

FULHAM striker Jonathan Cosgrove will return to Brentford during pre-season to resume his trial at Griffin Park.

The Northern Irish frontman spent a stint with the Bees at the end of the campaign, scoring for the reserves before injury forced him back to Craven Cottage.

But the 18-year-old is still on Brentford's radar, with a view to joining their development squad next season.

Former Fulham duo Michael Kamau and Aaron Pierre have already made the switch to TW8, while Jake Reeves, Samuel Griffiths and Liam Bellamy have also agreed two-year deals.

WhiteJC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13628221.stm

Aston Villa link to Mark Hughes played down

Aston Villa have been in touch with Premier League rivals Fulham to assure them that they have not been in contact with Cottagers boss Mark Hughes.

Villa are searching for a new manager after Gerard Houllier left the club on Wednesday because of health problems.

Hughes, the bookmakers' favourite, has been heavily linked with the vacancy but Villa have moved to allay the west London club's fears.

Fulham said they are in talks to extend Hughes' contract at Craven Cottage.

Although they have refused to discuss the details of Hughes' contract they have insisted that their position is unchanged. It is also understood that without their permission no club would be allowed to talk to Hughes about a possible move prior to 30 June - coincidentally the day their seasons starts with a Europa League qualifying fixture.

Former Villa boss Graham Taylor told BBC Sport that he believed a quick appointment was key in order to allow the club to plan with confidence for the season ahead.

Houllier's nine-month reign began in September, replacing caretaker manager Kevin MacDonald who himself took the reigns following Martin O'Neill's resignation only five days before the start of the season.

"The quicker they make that appointment the better," said Taylor.

"Each manager has a certain viewpoint on players when they come into a role and if they come in too late, as happened last year, they will have to wait until January when Gerard was able to bring in [striker] Darren Bent and [midfielder] Jean Makoun.

"You hear talk of Mark Hughes and I would have no problem with that.

"Mark understands the modern-day footballer, he is not much older than some of them, and has managed internationally with Wales, at club level with Fulham and Manchester City.

"He is a youngish manager with experience and has a certain discipline that people recognise."

Other names to have been linked with the vacancy at Villa Park include Everton's David Moyes and former Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti.

"David Moyes has been hampered by the money he has had to work with, but he has done an excellent job at Everton," added Taylor.

"I don't think that Everton would want to let him go though and that is back to that problem of Villa making a quick appointment.

"David and Everton chairman Bill Kenwright get on very well as well and that is a big thing for a manager."

Villa chief executive Paul Faulkner has assured fans that the search for a new manager has already begun.

"As a board, we are very conscious of the need to ensure that the club is prepared fully to meet the demands of the new season," he said.

"To that end, we have already embarked upon the process which will lead to the appointment of a new manager."

Villa's new manger may have to focus on possible departures from the club rather than arrivals in their first few days.

Villa have so far failed to agree contract extension for wingers Ashley Young and Stewart Downing, increasing speculation the pair could move on this summer.

Under Houllier's leadership, Villa flirted with relegation before climbing to a ninth-place finish in the Premier League with four wins in their final seven games.

After finishing 2010 three places and one point above the relegation zone, Houllier spent an initial £18m in the January transfer window to sign Bent from Sunderland.

The purchase paid off with the England striker scoring nine goals in 16 league games.

WhiteJC

Club Statement
Thursday 2nd June 2011

Fulham Football Club can confirm that Mark Hughes has provided notice, under the terms of his contract, to leave the Club at the end of June. After discussions with Mark the Club has agreed to accept this notice.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/June/HughesAnnouncement.aspx#ixzz1O8xUsQJc