watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (03/06/11)

Started by RidgeRider, June 03, 2011, 03:52:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RidgeRider

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3615763/Fulham-fury-as-Hughes-quits.html

Hughes dirty rat!
By ANDREW DILLON
Published: Today
Add a comment (24)
MARK HUGHES was last night accused of walking out on Fulham - 24 hours after verbally agreeing a new deal.
Sparky quit Mohamed Fayed's club a day after Gerard Houllier had stepped down as Aston Villa boss.

But Villa insist he is not in the running for their job.

A Fulham insider told SunSport: "On Wednesday evening there was a fully negotiated two-year contract with a substantial pay rise just needing to be checked over by lawyers and to be signed by Mark Hughes.

"Yet less than a day later it's all over and he's resigned.

"But if a manager can't give commitment or loyalty to the chairman then it's best they move on now and not in August with a new season looming.

"There's already been a huge amount of interest from other coaches to take over."

Hughes insists his decision to leave after less than a year has nothing to do with chasing a new job at Villa.

He said last night: "I would like to take this opportunity to clarify that neither myself nor my representative have approached or have been approached by another club.

"This decision to leave Fulham has not been influenced by any outside party."

Sources close to Hughes claim a new deal was still some way off after two months of talks - but that the main reason he has gone is a massive breakdown over transfer funds.

Hughes was growing frustrated with what he felt was Fulham's sluggish response to his demands for more firepower and the ongoing pursuit of £10m Espanyol striker Pablo Osvaldo.

The source said: "Hughes had spent hardly any money since taking over.

He sensed much dithering over moves to buy new players and simply decided enough was enough and resigned."

Hughes' contract had an escape clause which kicked in on June 1 allowing him to join another club or be sacked with no compensation.

Fulham chairman Fayed must now choose a new boss with Martin O'Neill, Steve McClaren and Alan Curbishley among the early contenders.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3615763/Fulham-fury-as-Hughes-quits.html#ixzz1OB50xxHF

RidgeRider

Watch out, Villa door is closing

TAKE IT ON THE CHIN ... Hughes, seen with Fulham owner Fayed, might have an anxious wait over Villa

Hughes walks out on Fulham
MARK HUGHES has quit Fulham and is now the hot favourite to take the Aston Villa job
Houllier exits Villa with £5m pay-off Kelly's sigh at Fulham exit Hughes is in for hot-shot Ings

Fulham fury as Hughes quits
MARK HUGHES is accused of quitting Fulham 24 hours after a verbal 'yes' to staying

Watch out Sparky, Villa door closing  Football Confidential live It's NO happy returns for Rafa

By DEAN SCOGGINS
Published: Today

MARK HUGHES walked out on Fulham last night - but the gates of Villa Park remain shut.
He was the favourite for the Aston Villa job but the Midlands club's interest in him has gone cold as they look at other names on their shortlist.

Villa were shocked at how things fell apart with Hughes' contract negotiations at Fulham within 48 hours.

It has made them rethink their recruitment process in the week they parted company with Gerard Houllier.

Carlo Ancelotti is not the man leading the Villa list either - despite him being a hot name with the bookies.

The former Chelsea boss wants a Champions League job and Villa's budget would have to be blown to attract him.

Villa's hitlist has been reduced, with Steve McClaren, Martin Jol, David Moyes and, more surprisingly, Wigan's Roberto Martinez being discussed.

Hughes quit the West London outfit, insisting there had been no contact with Villa and that the Villans job being available had no influence on his decision.

The Midlanders were also adamant they had not approached Hughes at all in the process.

A Villa source said: "The club still have an open mind and are not about to make any rash decisions.

"There is no link between Hughes leaving and Villa whatsoever."

Villa want to continue to do things by the book and will make only official approaches to clubs if they want a manager who is under contract.

The bookies remained convinced Hughes was on his way to Villa Park, as he headed the betting at ridiculously short odds of 1-10.

Insiders at Fulham were talking of how Hughes was set to put pen to paper on a new deal to stay at Craven Cottage, only to head for the exit as soon as it was announced Houllier was leaving due to fears over his health.

Perhaps Hughes tried to force Villa's hand but they are, as yet, unmoved.

The former Manchester United hero's aides say he has other possible options on the table, but a move to Villa would have put him back among football's elite managers.

Hughes is still sore at the way he was sacked by Manchester City.

He believed the Middle Eastern owners when they told him he was the man to build the City project and thought they would be happy with steady progress. But Sheikh Mansour got impatient and turned to Roberto Mancini instead.

Hughes is convinced he could have achieved exactly what Mancini has with the same resources.

There is only so far a club of Fulham's size can go and the eighth-place finish Hughes achieved last season was about the limit.

He was certainly not relishing competing in the pre-qualifying round of the Europa League, which Fulham scrambled into by virtue of topping the Fair Play standings.

Certainly Hughes' statement on leaving Fulham last night smacked of frustration at being stuck at a club with limited prospects and the desire to move on to one with bigger clout.

He said: "As a young, ambitious manager I wish to move on to further my experiences.

"I believe my management team and I have done a good job and the club has a strong foundation from which they can go forward. I hope the supporters and all those connected with the club will understand.

"I would also like to clarify that neither myself nor my representative have approached or have been approached by another club.

"This decision to leave Fulham hasn't been influenced by any outside party."

There was always a suspicion that Hughes took the Fulham job last summer because he had nowhere else to go at the time.

He moved in when Roy Hodgson joined Liverpool but, soon after, the Villa job came up when Martin O'Neill quit.

Hughes was keen on Villa then - and vice versa - but Sparky was unavailable, so Houllier was given the job.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3615728/Watch-out-Villa-door-is-closing.html#ixzz1OB5ORfvc

RidgeRider

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1393747/Mark-Hughes-quits-Fulham-insists-Aston-Villa.html

Hughes walks out on Fulham after just one year to leave door open for switch to Villa
By NEIL MOXLEY
Last updated at 1:10 AM on 3rd June 2011

Comments (0)
Add to My Stories
Mark Hughes has left his job as Fulham manager.
As revealed by Sportsmail, Hughes allowed a contract deadline to pass without taking up the option of a further year with the west London club.
However, the former Manchester City boss insisted his decision was based solely on what he believed he could achieve at Fulham. He was at pains to point out he had not been in contact with Aston Villa or Chelsea, the two clubs he has been linked with.

Gone: Mark Hughes feels he has taken Fulham as far as he can
Hughes delayed his initial decision on Wednesday night following talks with Fulham chief executive Alistair Mackintosh, who asked him to reconsider and who is believed to have offered the 47-year-old a two-year contract.
Hughes said: 'I hope the supporters and all those connected with the club will understand I wish to move on to further my experiences.

On the up: Fulham had an impressive season, eventually finishing eighth
'I would also like to take this opportunity to clarify that neither myself nor my representative have approached or been approached by another club. This decision to leave Fulham has not been influenced by any outside party.'
Fulham will need to find a replacement quickly as the club play in the qualifying round of the Europa League on June 30.

No return: Gerard Houllier has left Aston Villa following his heart scare
Villa chief executive Paul Faulkner has assured Mackintosh that no contact has been made with Hughes's agent following Gerard Houllier's departure but the odds on the Welshman managing the Midlands club were cut dramatically last night.
Coincidentally, given that Hughes remains among the favourites to succeed Houllier at Villa Park, former Villa boss Martin O'Neill could be a prime candidate to replace him at Craven Cottage.

More...
Hughes quits Fulham to leave door open for switch to Villa
Hughes' Fulham contract expires as Welshman is linked to Villa hotseat
Aston Villa in the hunt for Fulham boss Hughes as Houllier chases £5m pay-off
All the latest Fulham news, features and opinion
All the latest Aston Villa news, features and opinion

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1393747/Mark-Hughes-quits-Fulham-insists-Aston-Villa.html#ixzz1OB7Srz4C

RidgeRider

http://aggbot.com/link.php?id=13737556&r=tw&c=43

Mark Hughes's managerial career: the twists and turns
Telegraph Sport looks at the ups and downs experienced by the former Fulham manager during his time spent in the dugout.

Something to shout about: Mark Hughes made his presence felt at Fulham by elevating them up the Premier League table Photo: PA
By Telegraph Staff10:49PM BST 02 Jun 20111 Comment
Wales (1999–2004)
Appointed on a temporary basis alongside Neville Southall to replace Bobby Gould, soon made the job his own as Wales punched above their weight. They almost qualified for Euro 2004, beating Italy in qualifying group but losing to Russia in a play-off.
Games 41
Won 12
Drew 15
Lost 14
Win percentage 29.27
-------------------------------------------------
Blackburn Rovers (2004–2008)
Steered Blackburn away from relegation in his first season and to a first FA Cup semi-final in over 40 years and clinched a top-six place and Uefa Cup qualification the following term. They finished 10th and seventh in subsequent years, but came bottom of the Premier League disciplinary table in all four of Hughes' seasons in charge.
RELATED ARTICLES
Fulham shocked over Hughes exit 02 Jun 2011
Mark Hughes considers Fulham future 02 Jun 2011
Houllier leaves Villa with parting shot 01 Jun 2011
Villa want Hughes 01 Jun 2011
Fulham land Europa League place 26 May 2011
Green returns as England are exposed 24 May 2011
Games 147
Won 58
Drew 39
Lost 50
Win percentage 39.46
Manchester City (2008–2009)
Replaced Sven-Goran Eriksson during the turbulent ownership of Thaksin Shinawatra, but found the bar raised considerably with the takeover of the Abu Dhabi United investment group.
City finished 10th during Hughes's first season in charge, and although he recruited such high-profile names as Robinho, Gareth Barry, Wayne Bridge, Carlos Tevez, Emmanuel Adebayor and Kolo Toure, his failure to forge his side into genuine top-four contenders led to him being replaced by Roberto Mancini.
Games 55
Won 22
Drew 13
Lost 20
Win percentage 40
Fulham (2010–2011)
Had a difficult act to follow in Roy Hodgson, who had taken Fulham to the Europa League final, but overcame a spate of player injuries to guide the London sideto eighth in the Premier League and back into the Europa League via Fair Play qualification.
Games 38
Won 11
Drew 16
Lost 11
Win percentage 28.95

RidgeRider

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Aston-Villa-Fulham-news-Martin-Jol-Roberto-Martinez-Steve-McClaren-top-shortlist-after-U-turn-on-suddenly-jobless-Mark-Hughes-and-no-from-Carlo-Ancelotti-article743840.html

Hughes left in limbo as Villa get cold feet
Published 23:02 02/06/11 By Darren Lewis & John Percy

Aston Villa have told Mark Hughes he is OUT of the running to be their next manager – just hours after he quit as Fulham boss.

Villa chairman Randy Lerner dropped the bombshell after deciding to scrap plans to appoint Hughes as Gerard ­Houllier's successor.

Lerner is believed to have been disturbed by the manner of Hughes' exit from Craven Cottage and the activities of his agent, Kia Joorabchian, over the last 24 hours.

And Villa have since been compiling a new short-list for the post after a cheeky approach for Carlo Ancelotti was rebuffed by the former Chelsea boss.

Martin Jol, Steve McClaren and Wigan's Roberto Martinez are expected to feature on Lerner's wish-list, as Everton boss David Moyes is still believed to be out of reach.

Lerner's shock decision to abandon an approach for 47-year-old Hughes leaves the ex-Wales coach in limbo after his dramatic Craven Cottage exit.

Fulham owner Mohamed Al Fayed is furious with Hughes, claiming the ex-Manchester City boss had "positioned himself for another club" while still negotiating to stay on with the west London side.

Hughes guided Fulham to eighth in the Premier League this season, and back into the Europa League via the Fair Play League, before quitting on Thursday afternoon.

He said in a statement: "I would like to clarify that this decision to leave Fulham has not been influenced by any outside party.

"As a young, ambitious manager I wish to move on to further my experiences."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Aston-Villa-Fulham-news-Martin-Jol-Roberto-Martinez-Steve-McClaren-top-shortlist-after-U-turn-on-suddenly-jobless-Mark-Hughes-and-no-from-Carlo-Ancelotti-article743840.html#ixzz1OBAaVcNe

RidgeRider

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/blogs/mirror-football-blog/Darren-Lewis-opinion-Why-Mark-Hughes-could-end-up-looking-a-fool-after-abandoning-the-Fulham-players-who-saved-his-job-article743839.html

Why Mark Hughes could end up looking a fool after abandoning the Fulham players who saved his job

By Darren Lewis in Mirror Football Blog
Published 23:00 02/06/11

Two years ago, he was the victim, furious at being sacked after just half a season at Manchester City.

Six months ago, he was teetering on the brink of a second P45, with Fulham flirting dangerously with relegation.

Indeed, it was the club's senior players that convinced owner Mohamed Al Fayed to back his man after the Boxing Day defeat to West Ham had convinced the Egyptian to sack him.

That loyalty was rewarded yesterday, when Mark Hughes walked away and declared: "I hope the supporters and all those connected with the club will understand I wish to move on to further my experiences."

Those experiences, it appears, will not include working at Aston Villa after the midlands club declared they were not considering him as a replacement for Gerard Houllier.

Hughes' two-year contract - with a mutual opt-out clause after 12 months - expired on Wednesday night and, well aware of Villa's interest, the Welshman walked away from Craven Cottage.

Al Fayed, who gave Hughes a route back into football, has every right to be cheesed off about it.

The Egyptian will probably rue the day he decided to hand Hughes a one-year rolling contract with a mutual option to walk away after just one season.

He may even wish he had sacked Hughes after the 3-1 home defeat to the Hammers and ahead of a trip to Stoke he'd felt his underachieving team had no chance of winning.

The players, though, insisted Hughes had been unlucky with a bad injury that sidelined Bobby Zamora for months and that they'd simply had too many draws.

They then showed their commitment to the Welshman in that very next game by going to the Britannia and pulling off a 2-0 win.

It was their way of showing they were behind a man they felt had encouraged them to shed their small-club tag and become men.

Hughes' way of including all of the staff meant everyone pulled in the same direction.

He put motivational messages up around the training ground and in the dressing room.

The players felt that, although they'd won just three games away from home in the Premier League all season, they were far more offensive and attack-minded than they had been previously.

And while there may be anger and frustration and anger among some sections of the Fulham support, the Europa League place they have secured for next season goes some way to easing the pain.

The problem for the players, however, is that they are back where they were last year when, within a few weeks of reaching the Europa League Final, they lost Roy Hodgson to Liverpool.

Worse, actually, as they are back in training for pre-season on the 22nd of this month for their first Europa League qualifying game.

They will have no manager for that match either, unless Al Fayed gets a shift on, with Martin Jol, Martin O'Neill, Alex McLeish and Carlo Ancelotti the big names in the frame.

Hughes said: "I believe my management team and I have done a good job and the club has a strong foundation from which they can go forward.

"I sincerely wish Fulham a successful campaign in the Europa League next season and for their continued progress on and off the field."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/blogs/mirror-football-blog/Darren-Lewis-opinion-Why-Mark-Hughes-could-end-up-looking-a-fool-after-abandoning-the-Fulham-players-who-saved-his-job-article743839.html#ixzz1OBAzX9Bk

RidgeRider

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/194164/Mark-Hughes-I-quit-/

MARK HUGHES: I QUIT!

ABOVE: Mark Hughes' shock decision to quit Fulham has opened the Cottage door for Martin O'Neill I hope supporters will understand I wish to move on to further my experiences
Mark Hughes
3rd June 2011 By Danny Fullbrook
Your Shout ( 0 )

MARK HUGHES last night sensationally quit as Fulham boss – leaving the way clear for Martin O'Neill to take charge at Craven Cottage.

Mark Hughes walked out after a year with the club claiming he wanted new experiences. But, in a bizarre twist, Starsport understands he is NOT the man Aston Villa want to succeed Gerard Houllier.

Former Manchester City chief Hughes insists he had no contact with Villa or any other club before telling Mohamed Al Fayed he no longer wanted to stay with Fulham.

Now the London club have made former Villa boss O'Neill their top target to lead them into Europa League action next season, and the Irishman is believed to be open to the idea.

Hughes said: "I hope supporters will understand I wish to move on to further my experiences.

"Neither myself nor my representative have approached or have been approached by another club.

"This decision has not been influenced by any outside party." A club statement said: "Mark has provided notice, under the terms of his contract, to leave the club at the end of June. After discussions with Mark the club has agreed to accept this notice."

As it was not thought Hughes was under any pressure from Al Fayed, and with Villa seemingly not keen, mystery surrounds why Hughes has chosen to leave the club now.

Fulham have wasted no time looking at their own options for next season and O'Neill is the clear preferred choice.

RidgeRider

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/8553119/Fulham-shocked-after-manager-Mark-Hughes-quits-Craven-Cottage-after-just-one-year-in-charge.html

Fulham shocked after manager Mark Hughes quits Craven Cottage after just one year in charge
Fulham reacted with shock last night at the decision of Mark Hughes to tender his resignation and believe the former Manchester City manager went back on a verbal commitment to lead the club into Europe next season.

On the move: Mark Hughes has quit his role as Fulham manager Photo: GETTY IMAGES
By Jeremy Wilson11:30PM BST 02 Jun 201141 Comments

There is also suspicion at Fulham over the timing of Hughes' announcement, which arrived just a day after Gérard Houllier had left Aston Villa by mutual consent.
Hughes, however, had grown frustrated at delays over his new contract, especially after indicating to Fulham some time ago that he was willing to agree one. Sources close to him are also adamant that he did not agree a new deal.
Fulham have now been told by Villa that they do not want Hughes and, according to sources at the Midlands club, they are considering other options that include Carlo Ancelotti and Rafael Benítez.
Hughes issued a statement last night in which he stressed that there had been no contact with another club and that his decision was not influenced by "any outside party".
Hughes was on holiday when, at around 5pm, he communicated his decision to Fulham that he wanted to activate a clause that allowed either party to terminate his contract with one month's notice. Until that point, the club had been confident that he would remain at Craven Cottage.

"Everything was fine," said a Fulham source. "Mark had agreed terms and was about to sign. He went on holiday and Gérard Houllier resigns.
"When there was not a job available he seemed willing to sign and everything was done.
"He kept saying that there was a will on both sides to get the deal done. He always alluded to the fact that he was happy. He was planning for next season. It had been agreed verbally.
"The contract had been written and was in the hands of the lawyers. Everything had been done except have it signed. He made it perfectly clear that he was happy.We feel very let down." Villa have also reassured Fulham.
"Aston Villa are saying to us that they are not interested in him," said the source. Hughes' potential new contract would have committed him to Fulham for at least the next two seasons.
He was initially regarded as the first choice to succeed Houllier, but his potential arrival at Villa now seems far from certain. Hughes stressed in his statement that there had been no contact with another club.
He simply alluded to wanting new challenges and it is understood that he simply hopes to progress his career. After guiding Fulham to their second highest Premier League position in finishing eighth and qualifying for the Europa League, there is a sense that he may have taken Fulham as far as they can go without major additional funding.
Hughes could also point to the fact that the decision to have a one-year break clause was agreed mutually last summer and that there was no effort from the club to extend the contract until late in the season.
He grew uneasy about the fact that the break clause could be activated by Fulham. There was also concern over whether Fulham matched his own ambitions, particularly with regard to transfer funding.
"I hope the supporters and all those connected with the club will understand I wish to move on to further my experiences," said Hughes.
"I would also like to take this opportunity to clarify that neither myself nor my representative have approached or have been approached by another club.
"This decision to leave Fulham has not been influenced by any outside party.
"I would like to thank the chairman, directors, players and fans of Fulham Football Club for their support over the last 12 months and wish them every success in the future. I believe my management team and I have done a good job and the club has a strong foundation from which they can go forward.
"I have especially enjoyed our excellent relationship with the chairman and chief executive [Alastair Mackintosh]. I sincerely wish Fulham a successful campaign in the Europa League next season and for their continued progress on and off the field."
Fulham's statement was rather more succinct.
"Fulham Football Club can confirm that Mark Hughes has provided notice, under the terms of his contract, to leave the club at the end of June. After discussions with Mark the club has agreed to accept this notice."
Fulham have already begun the process of drawing up a shortlist of potential replacements, with Martin Jol, who was their first choice last summer, and Martin O'Neill both expected to figure prominently.
A longer list would include Ancelotti, Steve McClaren and Alan Curbishley. The club are keen to appoint a replacement as soon as possible.
The squad returns for pre-season training on June 23 ahead of a Europa League qualifying campaign that is scheduled to begin the following week.

RidgeRider

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jun/02/mark-hughes-fulham-aston-villa

Mark Hughes leaves Fulham but Aston Villa do not want him as manager
• Hughes activates break clause to leave Craven Cottage
• Aston Villa unimpressed by course of events

Stuart James, Jamie Jackson and David Hytner
guardian.co.uk,    Thursday 2 June 2011 23.00 BST
Article history

Mark Hughes has been left without a club after leaving Fulham and being linked with Aston Villa. Photograph: Paul Thomas/AP
Mark Hughes will not be the new Aston Villa manager and has been left without a club after walking out on Fulham on Thursday night. The Welshman had been the favourite to succeed Gérard Houllier but Villa, unimpressed with the course of events that culminated in Hughes activating a break clause in his contract and leaving Fulham, have turned their attention elsewhere. Martin Jol and Steve McClaren are at the top of Villa's shortlist.

In a further twist Jol and McClaren, who are out of work and eager to return to employment in the Premier League, will also be leading candidates to take over at Craven Cottage, where Hughes had been expected to sign an improved two-year contract. Martin O'Neill, a former Villa manager, will be another major contender for that post.

Mohamed Al Fayed, the Fulham chairman, was furious after Hughes activated the break clause and tendered his resignation. A Fulham spokesperson said: "The chairman became increasingly annoyed by Mark positioning himself for another club, whilst still negotiating with us, and having agreed terms."

Fayed was, however, ready to extend Hughes's deal. One view from sources at the club is that contract talks with Hughes fell apart when Fulham felt unable to match the fees demanded by his representative, Kia Joorabchian.

Villa's reluctance to move for Hughes comes as something of a surprise. He has been the frontrunner for the Villa post since it emerged this week that Houllier would be stepping down on health grounds. Villa, however, told Fulham that they would not be making an approach for Hughes in the hours before his decision to leave.

The Midlands club have since made it clear that their stance has not changed after Hughes's departure from Fulham. It is understood they would have grave reservations about appointing the former Blackburn Rovers and Manchester City manager because of how his departure from Fulham has been handled.

Hughes, who is on holiday in Dubai, said in a statement: "I would like to take this opportunity to clarify that neither myself nor my representative have approached or have been approached by another club. This decision to leave Fulham has not been influenced by any outside party."

When Villa parted company with Houllier on Wednesday evening, Fulham believed that Hughes would stay loyal to them, as Fayed had done with him on Boxing Day, when the Craven Cottage crowd had called for Hughes's sacking after a 3-1 home defeat by West Ham United that dropped the club into the relegation zone. Hughes's new contract had even gone to the lawyers, with the terms and conditions agreed, in readiness for his signature.

Yet in the hours that followed Villa's announcement of Houllier's departure, Hughes went cold on Fulham – and nobody at the London club considered the two events to be unrelated. What Fulham could not understand, however, was that Paul Faulkner, the Villa chief executive, had made it clear to Alistair Mackintosh, his counterpart at Craven Cottage, with whom he gets on well, that Villa did not want Hughes. The Welshman, who describes himself as an ambitious young manager, may have taken a leap of faith as there was a deadline of midnight on Wednesday on the activation of his break clause. The clause permits him to walk away from the club as a free agent at the end of June. Premier League rules prevent him or his representative from contacting or being contacted by other clubs until after that.

His back-room entourage, which includes Mark Bowen, Eddie Niedzwiecki, Glyn Hodges and Kevin Hitchcock, remain under contract at Fulham for another year, with no break clauses in their deals.

Fulham accepted Hughes's resignation and their impression was that he thought he would get the Villa job, despite the assurances they had received from Faulkner that he would not. Fayed is clear that there is no way back for Hughes at the club. "Roy Hodgson appreciated the club after he had left and [Fayed] believes Mark will do the same," a spokesperson said.

Villa say they have an open mind about filling their vacancy. Speculation that Carlo Ancelotti is among their leading candidates is wide of the mark, however. The former Chelsea manager has not received any contact from Villa and he is known to have no interest in the position. Ancelotti, according to sources close to the Italian, is holding out for a club that can offer Champions League football. Roberto Martínez, the Wigan Athletic manager, has, however, emerged as an outsider for the Villa post.

O'Neill, who has been out of work since leaving Villa last August, is the bookmakers' favourite for the Fulham jobAs well as Jol and McClaren, other names likely to feature on Fulham's shortlist may include Gianfranco Zola, the former West Ham manager, and Chris Hughton, who led Newcastle United back to the Premier League at the first attempt before being sacked in December. Jol had been Fulham's No1 target last summer, ahead of Hughes, and he had wanted to come. He was blocked by his then club, Ajax.

RidgeRider

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/hughes-ruled-out-as-new-villa-manager-after-leaving-fulham-2292323.html

Hughes ruled out as new Villa manager after leaving Fulham
By Sam Wallace, Football Correspondent
Friday, 3 June 2011
Mark Hughes had been expected to take up the vacant managers role at Villa Park

Mark Hughes is not expected to be appointed the new Aston Villa manager despite having exercised the break clause in his two-year Fulham contract last night to make a surprise departure from the club.

Instead Hughes has taken a gamble that he will be offered a better option this summer after just nine months in charge at Fulham. He denied that any contact had taken place between him or his agent Kia Joorabchian and Villa although it is understood that he has been told that he is no longer at the top of the list for Villa owner Randy Lerner.

Hughes had the break clause written into his deal when he agreed to join Fulham last summer because the club would not match the wages paid to him in his previous job at Manchester City. Since then, Hughes has also been frustrated by the Fulham hierarchy's unwillingness to talk about the money available for transfers this summer.

It means that the likes of Carlo Ancelotti, Steve McClaren and Roberto Martinez are all still possibilities for Villa. There reasons for turning away from Hughes are not yet clear.

Hughes feels in private that he has spent virtually nothing on his team in net terms over the nine months he has been in charge at Fulham. Should he get another job, he will want to take his two key assistants Mark Bowen and Eddie Niedzwiecki with him - both are on one-year rolling contracts and would require compensation payments to Fulham.

Hughes has always been an awkward fit at Fulham despite eventually taking the club to an eighth place finish and a place in the Europa League via the Fair Play table. Last summer he had misgivings about the difficult task of following Roy Hodgson's success in reaching the Europa League final the season before and did not relocate his family to the south when he took the Fulham job.

He would have much preferred the Villa job last summer then but the timing of Martin O'Neill's abrupt departure meant that he had already signed a contract at Craven Cottage by the time the opportunity came up.

In the last two weeks, Fulham had attempted to persuade Hughes to sign a new contract but had come to realise that was a hopeless task as it became obvious that other jobs, including those at Villa, were likely to present themselves during the summer.

Hughes' departure means that Fulham must now begin the search for a new manager with O'Neill, Carlo Ancelotti, Alan Curbishley, Claudio Ranieri, Martin Jol and Steve McClaren all in the frame. The former Fulham midfielder Lee Clark, now Huddersfield Town manager, who missed out on promotion to the Championship in the League One play-off final last month is an outside bet for the job

Houllier's admission that medical tests had shown he would not be fit to manage Villa until September prompted the club to seek a way out of their deal with the Frenchman on Wednesday. As it became clear over the last two months that he would not be able to resume duties this summer they were forced to examine their options elsewhere.

In a bold statement that did not details any of his private frustrations with the club, Hughes told the Fulham supporters that there was no other motive in his decision to leave the club other than seeking new "experiences". He said: "I hope the supporters and all those connected with the club will understand I wish to move on to further my experiences.

"I would also like to take this opportunity to clarify that neither myself nor my representative have approached or have been approached by another club. This decision to leave Fulham has not been influenced by any outside party."

Hughes cannot take up a role at another club in an official capacity until his notice runs out at the end of this month, Fulham said last night. He had effectively become a free agent yesterday when the break clause in his contract was triggered.

Tom

Quote from: RidgeRider on June 03, 2011, 04:29:17 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/8553119/Fulham-shocked-after-manager-Mark-Hughes-quits-Craven-Cottage-after-just-one-year-in-charge.html

"Everything was fine," said a Fulham source. "Mark had agreed terms and was about to sign. He went on holiday and Gérard Houllier resigns.
"When there was not a job available he seemed willing to sign and everything was done.
"He kept saying that there was a will on both sides to get the deal done. He always alluded to the fact that he was happy. He was planning for next season. It had been agreed verbally.
"The contract had been written and was in the hands of the lawyers. Everything had been done except have it signed. He made it perfectly clear that he was happy.We feel very let down." Villa have also reassured Fulham.
"Aston Villa are saying to us that they are not interested in him," said the source. Hughes' potential new contract would have committed him to Fulham for at least the next two seasons.

I knew he was full of  099.gif! I am so disappointed and let down by this clown! He has something up his sleeve or he wouldn't have quit. I seriously wish this clown nothing but ill will! Whenever he goes I hope he gets sacked and booed off the pitch!
Fulham for life!

RidgeRider

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/06/03/timmy%E2%80%99s-suggested-successor-roberto-martinez/

Timmy's suggested successor: Roberto Martinez
Filed under: General — timmyg @ 2:08 am
With all the FIFA shenanigns last week, and now Hughes leaving us high and dry, my passion if not sheer interest in the sport is seriously being tested. But thankfully I have all you guys and gals.

But it should be said I'm not surprised Hughes left. Frustrated, but not shocked. It makes sense: we came to him late, he added the one-year-get-out clause because he had the leverage, managed a successful season all things considered, and is now gone for another "challenge". Hmph. You may be right, but piss off.

So, here's my random shortlist to replace Hughes. All are good I suppose, except one, but Martinez is my guy.

Martin Jol – It's not still July 2010 is it?  It's a little disconcerting that Jol quit Ajax in December, and the club went on to win the Eredivisie title. But there's been quite a lot of politicking going on in Amsterdam, even before Johan Cruyff took the reins in February, so perhaps he had enough? I've written about him in the past, and stick with what I said then.

Roberto Di Matteo – Di Matteo was in the process of taking West Brom down, but they put up some impressive results en route. Everyone felt sorry for the Portugese gaffer after his sacking in February, but understood the firing once Roy Hodgson was appointed. (When a man of Roy's caliber is available for a club like West Brom, you make that move. I think had Brum not made the Carling Cup final, they too would have done the same to McLeish). Roy sure managed to turn things around, but West Brom's problem was a great offense and poor defense (the latter of which Roy excels at changing). Fulham have a great defense and unreliable offense. Could be a good fit.

Ian Holloway – Equally eccentric as our Chairman. Could be a volatile combination, could be the perfect elixir. Took Blackpool down, but Blackpool had the lowest payroll in the history of the EPL. (I just made that stat up, but it's perfectly believable, no?) Like with Di Matteo, could use some defensive schooling, but going forward there's much to like.

Martin O'Neill – Stop it. After falling out with one of the most hands-off owners in sports, why would O'Neill get along with our crazy chairman? Plus, Hughes at least left us after the season ended, not 5 days before it started.

Luigi "Gigi" Delneri – We're in dreamland here, but this man led recently relegated Sampdoria to an undefeated home record in 2009-10 and a place in the Champions League Qualifiers. He's also taken Chievo Verona and Palermo to the UEFA Cup. Are any of those two and/or Sampdoria that much different than us? Sure, his time at Juventus was nothing to gloat about, but the managerial attrition rate at all the "big" Italian clubs is absurd (Juve is on their 5th coach in 3 seasons alone). Not to mention he's coached at practically every club in Italy, so perhaps he'd like a crack at the EPL. My only concern about his track record is that, is if this did happen by some magical chance, he'd leave after a year. Hmm.

Brian McDermott – Unfortunately he's still quite unproven. But he did take Reading, now a shell of its EPL self, from relegation candidates to Playoff Runners-up in about 17 months. Great guy. Great work.

Roberto Martinez – I don't know if this would be the best hire per se, but I'd certainly be very pleased with it. Considering their Jeckyl and Hyde nature, he pulled off a miracle with Wigan two years running so just think what he could do with a well-rounded squad (and for a club with fans.) Martinez has signed some flops, but that's often the result of constantly searching for bargains. He's extremely intelligent yet unassuming, friendly yet genuine; Fulham embodied, no? If Rich suggests we attack another dog, Wigan is the perfect pooch to go. I don't normally like to subscribe to such logic, but, seriously, where else can that club go? Their star player N'Zogbia is presumably a goner. Their goalie went back to Bolton on loan. I have a hunch Hugo Rodallega may get scooped up by a club on the continent this summer. Sorry, but they're dead anyway.

So please come, Roberto.

RidgeRider

Quote from: Tom on June 03, 2011, 04:39:08 AM
Quote from: RidgeRider on June 03, 2011, 04:29:17 AM

I knew he was full of  099.gif! I am so disappointed and let down by this clown!

This one really hit me too. I agree with you. Read the blog entry by the Lewis fellow. He thinks Hughes may have really gaffed this.

RidgeRider

http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,26691,18305_6963858,00.html

Interview of Tony Gale and Alan Mullery on Fulham and Mark Hughes, what's next.....

RidgeRider

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2011/06/marking_time.php

Ten months was enough for Mark Hughes. The man admits he's itching to prove his worth in top flight management, Fulham it seems have served their purpose.

And that leaves us for the second summer running scouting the horizon for a new management team. A quote from the chairman will be interesting when it comes. You can't stand in the way of any individual's ambition, but Hughes departure inside a year after a fine first season is sure to leave a sour taste. There's no escaping the impression that Fulham have just been used as a stepping stone.

The early quotes coming from the Hughes corner that his decision has 'not been influenced by any third party' should be taken as mere window dressing for the benefit of lawyers. Who leaves a highly paid job on a whim, without knowing where they're headed next? Sky's been working themselves into a lather ever since Lerner caught sight of Houllier's cardiogram and called him a cab pronto, but I've had a hunch for weeks that Sparky was stalling on another contract in the hope Chelsea came calling. I blogged it in fact. Let's see if the packed bags indeed make just a short hop across the borough, rather than being put on the train up to Birmingham.

Aston Villa fer chrissakes??!!! Airheads keep popping up to say Villa are a big club with tradition. During the time of the Kaiser maybe. Get real. They fluked a European Cup win in 82, and came 2nd behind Man U in the inaugural Prem season of '92. They've not threatened since, despite huge support in Britain's 2nd city and a revenue stream lesser clubs can only dream of. Is Hughes really destined for a club that wound up below Fulham in the league, are about to lose their outstanding talent in Ashley Young, and have a number of old men in the side? Oh, and don't mention the Europa League.

But let's concern ourselves with what matters. The future of our great over-achieving club. By luck or design Hughes leaves us in pretty good shape on the playing front. There will be no shortage of quality candidates eager to inherit what's been built up over the past 3 seasons. Fulham represents a great challenge to tempt even the most illustrious of names from world football. By my reckoning the club should be raising £10 mill in the market from deadwood to be cleared out over the summer, and with the placement money for coming 8th plus the additional revenues arriving with another European campaign, it's feasible to see the new gaffer wrangling the same amount again from the chairman to strengthen the squad.

OK, a £20 million pound transfer kitty barely raises a ripple in the Prem pool of bigger fish. Man City I believe have earmarked a similar amount to account for Balotelli's parking fines and silly hats, but if invested shrewdly, could well see Fulham marching on to even greater heights. My estimation? We need a proven goalscorer to supplement BZ. Take a chance on Shane Long or Craig M-S (the P'boro lad)? We must plan now for the midfield playmaker to fill Danny's boots. If Adam is out of our league go for O'Hara. Probably gonna need another left-back.

What nationality our new manager has will have a bearing on where we find our fresh blood. It's inevitable, should it be Jol, expect a few Dutchmen. But I don't think Jol will be asked a 2nd time. We'll see, and feel free to let me hear your suggestions. No votes for Avram Grant please!

Hughes only has to look towards Hodgson's embattled time at Liverpool in the run up to Christmas to realise how quickly all his dreams could turn to dust. Regular Fulham commentator Tony Gale has already flagged this up on Sky Sports. We've learnt more about Hughes today with this decision than we did throughout his 10 months at the helm. Enigmatic and often downbeat, there was indeed passion and a heart beating beneath the red tracksuit. But it was the desire to see Mr. Mark Hughes make the bigtime in management, rather than the quixotic dream of lifting a European trophy on behalf of Fulham that motivated Roy.
And to think I was planning a blog today on the shenanigans at Fifa. That can wait. After all, what have we learnt from the past week? As events unfolded it reminded me of the Great Train Robbery in 1963. No sooner had the gang got the loot back to their farmhouse hideout, than they started falling out with each other. As Fifa itself is such a den of thieves, it was inevitable once someone started blowing the whistle, the game would be up. If Blatter thinks he got away with it with his unopposed re-election, he's wrong. The world media who witnessed his erratic press conference will hound him from here on. Having the 88-year-old Henry Kissinger along will help him not one bit - unless Sepp opts for the nuclear option...
Keep the faith Fulham fans. Have trust in the board to make the right appointment, and let's go into the new season with confidence. To finish - here's hoping we see the majestic Zamora in action this Saturday. If so, I shall be blogging again (this is supposed to be my off-season too)!
Twitter@fulhamphil

WhiteJC

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/8553679/Mark-Hughes-may-have-quit-Craven-Cottage-because-he-feels-Fulham-do-not-match-his-own-lofty-ambition.html?

Mark Hughes may have quit Craven Cottage because he feels Fulham do not match his own lofty ambition
For Fulham, it was simply a resignation statement. Yet for the wider footballing world, it was an extraordinarily bold statement of intent.

Mark Hughes's observation last night that he wanted to "further my experiences" was a sentence that oozed ambition and self-confidence.

He was, after all, turning his back on a club who are becoming established in the top half of the Premier League and are preparing for a second assault on Europe in three years.

There are few better opportunities out there and that is why so many will struggle to believe the strenuous denials from all sides last night of a potential deal with Aston Villa.

It was no secret that, having agreed to join Fulham, he was among the contenders for the Villa job last summer and there was a sense in football that he may have jumped too quickly at the opportunity that presented itself at Craven Cottage.

From Hughes's point of view, the decision of Fulham to then give him a one-year contract with the option on both sides of another season hardly represented a resounding vote of confidence. When the team flirted with the relegation zone during the first half of the season, there was a sense that Fulham were more likely to exercise the 'break' clause than Hughes.

So when Hughes did then get his key players back — particularly Bobby Zamora — and then oversaw a climb back up the table, he would perhaps have felt that the club were only prepared to show their faith in the good times.

Bayern Munich were among the clubs to check on his contract situation over recent months and it is understood that he became frustrated by the progress of contract talks with Fulham. He also wanted a clear idea of whether sufficient funds really would be forthcoming to invest and improve the squad.

Questions were certainly being asked last night by the club's supporters at just how they could lose a good manager without compensation. Yet there was also considerable anger directed towards Hughes and a sense that he had simply used the club as a stepping stone.

Fulham believe that it was not realistic for them to have instigated fresh contract talks when the club were fighting relegation and say that it was entirely appropriate for them to wait until the near end of the season before beginning negotiations.

They can argue that they showed faith in Hughes. Whereas he has certainly taken a major risk. If he really is not the first-choice of Aston Villa then there are few guarantees that other major clubs will share his apparent high view of himself.

Hughes was certainly hugely successful both with Wales and Blackburn Rovers. In five years as an international manager, he took them to the brink of qualifying for a major international tournament for the first time since 1958.

He then stabilised Blackburn at a time when they looked destined for relegation and guided them to three cup semi-finals and a finish of seventh. His time at Manchester City is more open to debate.

True, the manner of Hughes's sacking was clumsy, but was the actual decision to make a managerial change really so outrageous?

Hughes, after all, had inherited a team that finished ninth in the league under Sven-Goran Eriksson. Over the space of 18 months he spent more than £200 million, yet finished 10th in 2008-09 and, at the time Roberto Mancini was offered his job, City were eighth and still closer to the bottom half of the table than the top four.

Mancini, who had previously won seven trophies in seven years with Sampdoria, Lazio and Inter Milan, has surely gone on to vindicate the change by winning the FA Cup and qualifying for the Champions League.

Yet, at a time when we hear that British coaches are not given enough opportunities at clubs with the potential to qualify for the Champions League, it is also possible to admire Hughes's ambition.

Other talented managers have got themselves caught in a vicious cycle at clubs where there is a ceiling on what is realistically possible. Their careers have then suffered when the fortunes of that club has inevitably dipped.

By moving at the end of a successful season, Hughes may have been ahead of the curve. He is at least trying to make things happen.

But, by making such a ruthless decision, he has surely also taken the biggest gamble of his career.

WhiteJC

Fulham shocked after manager Mark Hughes quits Craven Cottage after just one year in charge
Fulham reacted with shock last night at the decision of Mark Hughes to tender his resignation and believe the former Manchester City manager went back on a verbal commitment to lead the club into Europe next season.

There is also suspicion at Fulham over the timing of Hughes' announcement, which arrived just a day after Gérard Houllier had left Aston Villa by mutual consent.

Hughes, however, had grown frustrated at delays over his new contract, especially after indicating to Fulham some time ago that he was willing to agree one. Sources close to him are also adamant that he did not agree a new deal.

Fulham have now been told by Villa that they do not want Hughes and, according to sources at the Midlands club, they are considering other options that include Carlo Ancelotti and Rafael Benítez.

Hughes issued a statement last night in which he stressed that there had been no contact with another club and that his decision was not influenced by "any outside party".

Hughes was on holiday when, at around 5pm, he communicated his decision to Fulham that he wanted to activate a clause that allowed either party to terminate his contract with one month's notice. Until that point, the club had been confident that he would remain at Craven Cottage.

He was initially regarded as the first choice to succeed Houllier, but his potential arrival at Villa now seems far from certain. Hughes stressed in his statement that there had been no contact with another club.

He simply alluded to wanting new challenges and it is understood that he simply hopes to progress his career. After guiding Fulham to their second highest Premier League position in finishing eighth and qualifying for the Europa League, there is a sense that he may have taken Fulham as far as they can go without major additional funding.

Hughes could also point to the fact that the decision to have a one-year break clause was agreed mutually last summer and that there was no effort from the club to extend the contract until late in the season.

He grew uneasy about the fact that the break clause could be activated by Fulham. There was also concern over whether Fulham matched his own ambitions, particularly with regard to transfer funding.

"I hope the supporters and all those connected with the club will understand I wish to move on to further my experiences," said Hughes.

"I would also like to take this opportunity to clarify that neither myself nor my representative have approached or have been approached by another club.

"This decision to leave Fulham has not been influenced by any outside party.

"I would like to thank the chairman, directors, players and fans of Fulham Football Club for their support over the last 12 months and wish them every success in the future. I believe my management team and I have done a good job and the club has a strong foundation from which they can go forward.

"I have especially enjoyed our excellent relationship with the chairman and chief executive [Alastair Mackintosh]. I sincerely wish Fulham a successful campaign in the Europa League next season and for their continued progress on and off the field."

Fulham's statement was rather more succinct.

"Fulham Football Club can confirm that Mark Hughes has provided notice, under the terms of his contract, to leave the club at the end of June. After discussions with Mark the club has agreed to accept this notice."

Fulham have already begun the process of drawing up a shortlist of potential replacements, with Martin Jol, who was their first choice last summer, and Martin O'Neill both expected to figure prominently.

A longer list would include Ancelotti, Steve McClaren and Alan Curbishley. The club are keen to appoint a replacement as soon as possible.

The squad returns for pre-season training on June 23 ahead of a Europa League qualifying campaign that is scheduled to begin the following week.

WhiteJC

http://www.chelseadaft.org/2011/06/mark-hughes-as-late-candidate-for.html?

Mark Hughes as a late candidate for Chelsea Manager?

After quitting Fulham yesterday, Mark Hughes had been installed last night as 8-1 for the Chelsea manager's job. I am not so sure. Everything is pointing to Guus Hiddink coming back to Chelsea after tonight's game between Turkey and Belgium and I still predict that will be the case, but can we rule Hughes out of the running as easily as that?.

Hughes left Fulham out of the blue you have to say and claims that there has been no contact with any other club. As part of the agreement with him leaving Fulham, he is unable to speak to any other club until 1st July. Chelsea's first pre season game against Vitesse is on 9th July so he would only have a short period of time working with the players.

I have to say being honest, I am not surprised he left Fulham and that's no disrespect from me to our neighbours, but because of what he said in his press conference when he took over there. He said:
'I made the decision that this is the right club for me at this time".

I thought at the time it seemed a little bit harsh and that he wouldn't be there for long and we have been proved right. I know some Fulham fans and one in particular who never really took to him but he managed to get Fulham an eighth place finish in the League and back into the Europa League so you have to be honest and say it's been a decent/good season.

The thing is where does he go from here?. All press and media coverage of the news that broke yesterday have him heading to Villa Park to take over but Villa have denied that he is a "candidate" for their job. Could they just be saying that because of the clause that he is unable to speak to anyone until 1st July and if he does now it looks like they have tapped him up?.

Or, could coming to Chelsea be a realistic possibility?. Maybe a dream partnership of Hughes with Zola has his Assistant could be on Chelsea fan's minds this morning?. Hughes tends to take Mark Bowen with him everywhere he goes so maybe it wouldn't happen anyway.

I can't help to think that if you are a manager who wants to become successful and established within your own right, especially if you have stepped into management after playing the game at a substantial level, then why would you not be interested in coming to Chelsea and apply for the job?.

Do we honestly believe that Mark Hughes would apply to Roman Abramovich about becoming our manager and do we think he would be successful here?. What do you think of his managerial career so far and could he get the best out of our players? He would certainly command the respect of the players and I think the majority of Chelsea fans would welcome his appointment.

What do you think? Are we to take "reports" of Hughes to Chelsea seriously?