more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (03/06/11)

Started by RidgeRider, June 03, 2011, 03:52:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Martin or Martin?
Now that Mark has left his Mark and left us in good shape let`s wish him well.

Who`s next?

Martin Jol who Al Fayed wanted looks a good bet and Martin O`Neil cannot be ruled out either.

I would take either of the above.

What do you think?

Even Sir Roy in for a return?

Stranger things have happened!

Who would you pick?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=243499#ixzz1ODDYcQRv

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/06/gatesy-weighs-up-the-options/?

Gatesy Weighs Up The Options
by GATESY on JUNE 3, 2011

So Mark Hughes has decided even with rarely travelling with the squad and not attending training he wants even less to do with the club and is on the move. But now the spotlight falls on the big choice the Whites board makes to replace Sparky. Below are a few of the names who the bookies seem to think are in with a shout, and a bit about their background and a rating of how likely I think they are to be appointed as our leader.

AVRAM GRANT

Currently without a job and lives in London. He has an understanding of the Premier League. Let's address the elephant in the room. Yes, he got Pompy relegated. Yes, he got West Ham relegated (Yaaay!! Whoooo!!). And yes, he's spent the last two seasons cemented in the bottom three places. But he must be due a bit of luck, right?

Probably not gonna happen:  4/10

LAWRIE SANCHEZ

Well remembered amongst Fulham fans from a few years back. Without his managerial guidance the Great Escape that Roy pulled off would never have occurred. Currently gaffer at Barnet, so would be cheap to employ, after narrowly avoiding relegation to the conference.

Yeah, again it's unlikely:                   2/10

Stuart Baxter

He's pretty much linked with every single vacancy norf of the border, even though most people have never heard of him. Some pixyish people suggest he's not real at all, like unicorns, leprechauns and Eskimos. He'd claim he's been managing his way around Scandinavia. Perhaps it's it time for this potential phantom gaffer to throw his hat into the ring for a job the correct side of Hadrian's Wall?                                     

Even if he exists, not happening:      3/10

RAY WILKINS

He's a massive advocate of players staying on their feet, which is refreshing. Been at the club before and signed cracking players for us like Cookie and Wayne Collins. He's also currently without a club. A bit of a long shot.

Long shot:                                          5/10

ME

As with all managerial vacancies that crop up I inevitably get linked with them (usually by myself on Twitter). However it's not without reason. I've managed the Sarf in an annual Norf V Sarf game between his mates, managed a five-a-side team to promotion in the Dagenham Goals five a side league and I'm reasonable on football manager. Let's be honest. I'd be cheap to employ (I'd probably do it for 1/6th of what Michael Owens on at Man Yoo at the moment) and I might catch a few teams out with my surprise tactics. And the fact that I've already has assembled a crack back room team goes without mentioning.

Nailed on? Possibly:                          8/10

Apparently Martin O'Neil, Lee Clark, Curbs and, despite playing us for fools last summer, Martin Joll are also on the radar of the club.

Personally, if for some reason they over look me, I'd not be too upset were John Collins to come back to Craven Cottage. Perhaps with Paul Trollope too as he was one of my favourites.

WhiteJC

http://www.teamtalk.com/birmingham-city/6964363/McLeish-in-Fulham-frame-Report?

McLeish in Fulham frame - Report

Birmingham City boss Alex McLeish has emerged as a candidate for the vacant managerial post at Fulham, according to reports.

Fulham are on the lookout for a new boss after Mark Hughes quit Craven Cottage on Thursday following the expiration of his contract.

A number of names have been linked with the role at Fulham, including Martin O'Neill and Martin Jol, but McLeish is thought to be in the running.

McLeish's future at Birmingham has been the subject of speculation for some time amid reports of strained relations with the club's board.

Birmingham's board backed McLeish in the wake of their relegation from the Premier League, but have put pressure on him to win promotion at the first time of asking.

McLeish remains a highly respected boss, despite Birmingham's relegation, after leading them to Carling Cup success with victory over Arsenal and a place in Europe next season.

The 52-year-old has a wealth of experience having managed Motherwell, Hibernian, Rangers and Scotland prior to taking over at St Andrew's.

McLeish could be attracted by a move back to the Premier League if Fulham come calling for his services.

WhiteJC

The reasons why Mark Hughes walked out on Fulham

MAYBE the Fulham chief executive's trek to Amsterdam last summer will come in handy after all.

Alistair Mackintosh spent two days trying to persuade Martin Jol to swap the Amstel for the Thames – but came back empty handed.

Job already done then on the selling front, and with the Whites a couple of weeks away from the Europa League, an extra enticement for the former Spurs boss to finally sign on the dotted line.

One's thing for sure, Fulham need a new man double quick.

And why would Mark Hughes have quit after just one year and a measure of success at the Cottage, anyway?

Because Fulham don't match up to his ambitions, that's why. And anyone who read our exclusive with Glenn Hoddle speculating on Sparky's future will hardly be amazed the former Chelsea striker has departed so soon.

He had to be persuaded to join in the first place after the Jol overtures went down the pan – not the best of starts when you really want a bit more enthusiasm from the new man.

Hughes insisted this morning there has been no contact with any other club, and this column's copper-bottomed information at midday yesterday was Aston Villa had not been in touch with Fulham over a switch.

But what about down the road?

Hughes was a Chelsea favourite under Hoddle, and his no-nonsense approach with the current Stamford Bridge egos would be a welcome contrast to the more philosophical Ancelotti approach.

Hod wondered out loud whether Hughes fancied their old club as a match to his ambitions – and you don't suddenly quit a decent job unless you've got a better one to go to.

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/06/03/the-reasons-why-mark-hughes-walked-out-on-fulham-82029-28814432/?#ixzz1ODEQRp5o

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11096_6964398,00.html?

Craven stability
Should Cottagers go for youth to provide stability?

Tony Gale says Fulham must consider employing a manager who will not simply use the club as a "stepping stone".

The former Cottagers player was speaking on Sky Sports News HD after Mark Hughes announced his departure only 12 months into the job because he wants to "further his experiences".

Previous boss Roy Hodgson left for Liverpool last summer and Gale fears that top coaches don't want to make a long-term commitment to Fulham.
Martin O'Neill has been installed as the bookmakers' favourite for the role, but Gale suspects the Northern Irishman would also be on the lookout for bigger jobs in the future.

And he argued that chairman Mohamed Al Fayed should consider a younger coach to work alongside the current backroom team in order to give the club some stability.

"There's two ways that Fulham can go here," Gale said.

"They don't want to be used as a stepping stone again - and that's clearly what Mark has done.

"They need to get a manager in place who takes Fulham on that little bit further, which is difficult after finishing eighth.

"They've talked to Martin O'Neill, who is clearly the prime candidate, probably the best manager on the list - but they have to ensure that Martin isn't going to use this as a stepping stone and after a year go off to a big club, say Manchester United if Sir Alex jacks it in.

"I think they could go that way with Martin temporarily and say: 'Yeah, we know what he's going to do, it's a stepping stone'.

"Or they go the other way and go for a young manager / coach alongside Ray Lewington, who knows the club inside out and say : 'Let's have him for four or five years and kick on now.'"

List

:
Gale said former Aston Villa and Celtic boss O'Neill would be a good choice for the club, but insists there are a number of younger candidates to consider.

He argued that Al Fayed could hand the baton to somebody like former West Ham boss Gianfranco Zola with little risk because the squad is already good enough to stay up next season.

"There's a few on the list," Gale added.

"Lee Clark, Chris Hughton, Gianfranco Zola... those type of boys I would say are going to stay there for four or five years.

"I can't see Fulham having any problems relegation-wise with the squad that they've got for next season.

"Roy started getting some decent players in, Mark Hughes has brought some excellent players in as well and there's a good stability behind the scenes.

"I think Zola would do a good job, I also think Martin O'Neill would do a good job as well. It's how Fulham perceive it and how they want to go on now.

"I think there's too much chopping and changing."

WhiteJC

http://www.thespoiler.co.uk/index.php/2011/06/03/is-this-man-responsible-for-the-mess-at-fulham?

Is this man responsible for the mess at Fulham?

This "super agent" may have been offering not-so-super advice

Early June is supposed to be silly season, when The Spoiler is forced to pounce on the slightest scrap of speculation and dress it up as big news. Events at Fulham over the last 24 hours have been wilder than anything in our warped imagination though.

In case you missed all of the excitement, Mark Hughes was made favourite to succeed Gerard Houllier at Aston Villa. Villa denied any interest in Hughes.

The revelation that Sparky had an option in his Fulham contract to walk away then became big news. Villa continued to deny any interest in him.

We figured that was the end of the Thursday night fun but no, Hughes then chose to resign as Fulham boss and, who'd have guessed, Villa – like a Premier League incarnation of Simon Peter – again denied all links with Hughes. Claims that a cock then crowed are unsubstantiated.

Sparky has since snubbed suggestions that he has another job lined up, leaving us to surmise (as unheard of as it is for The Spoiler to jump to conclusions without full possession of the facts!) that he has been really poorly advised.

Of course, he could be lying low until his Fulham deal expires at the end of June before swooping into Villa's training ground in July and wondering why it's so empty – Brad Friedel today became the latest to depart, while Ashley Young is apparently desperately waiting for the exit door to be unlocked.

If not, it has to be assumed that his advisor – popular Carlos Tevez saga-inflicting super agent Kia Joorabchian – whispered in Hughes' ear that he could use this Villa rumour to demand a pay rise, Mohamed Al-Fayed told him to Leave Me Alone and the mistake was compounded by a rash decision to quit.

Is this an accurate assessment? Are we wrong to blame poor Kia? Let us know...

WhiteJC

http://www.offthepost.info/2011/06/why-mark-schwarzer-and-jason-roberts-might-have-questions-about-mark-hughes-fulham-exit/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+offthepost%2FTLAa+%28Off+The+Post%29

WHY MARK SCHWARZER AND JASON ROBERTS MIGHT HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT MARK HUGHES' FULHAM EXIT

Some of Mark Hughes' former players might have raised their eyebrows at the ease with which their ex-boss quit Fulham this week.

Hughes resigned from Craven Cottage and is now widely tipped to take up a new position at a 'bigger' Premier League club. His matter-of-fact departure to further his career could have the likes of Jason Roberts and Mark Schwarzer scratching their heads.

Take a couple of Hughes quotes as an example:

"We had a request from Jason [Roberts] but I am not letting anyone go. He is just unhappy at not getting a lot of games."
Keeping his wantaway striker at Blackburn in 2007.

"Sometimes it is not always greener on the other side. I understand that at certain times of their careers players feel that when an opportunity presents itself, they feel they have to consider it very carefully."
Understanding, but still rejecting Mark Schwarzer's transfer request to join Arsenal last summer.

Meanwhile, Fulham chairman Mohamed Al-Fayed must think history is repeating itself after Hughes' exit:

"He [Mark Hughes] has inherited a great team which had fantastic results but unfortunately this guy [Roy Hodgson], after we put him where he is now, he took advantage and left us. But good luck to him, good luck to Liverpool."
Mohamed Al-Fayed, August 2010

That was Al-Fayed's response to Mark Hughes' appointment as Fulham manager in August 2010. He barely needs to tweak his statement and he can put out the same angry statement to mark Sparky's exit.

Hughes is being linked with the vacant Aston Villa manager's post, and also as an outsider to take over at his former club Chelsea.

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/06/still-just-little-fulham/?

Still just 'Little Fulham'?
by LYDIA on JUNE 3, 2011

The phrase 'punching above their weight' is commenly used along side Fulham in a sentence. And from my take on things, I assume that Hughes has left us because our club is just 'too small' for him. How frustrating. 2 seasons ago we fiinished 7th (a remarkable feat considering the season before) and qualified for Europe, last season we finished 12th in the league but managed to play some outstanding football and reached the Europa League final and we follwed it up this year when we finished 8th also qualifing for Europe, even if it was through the Fair Play League. It seems to me that our club is getting stronger and stronger every year, so is it really a matter of us still punching above our weight? I'm thinking that Fulham is a club that is on the rise and we deserve to be where we are! This is not punching above our weight, this is just our standard at the minute!

The problem is that nobody else seems to realise this! To nearly everybody in the footballing world, we are a small club with no ambition so why would Sparky have wanted to stay with us? If I'm honest, I thought that we was brilliant for us. We had a slow start but considering we went most of the season without Zamora, I thought we had a great season! If he really didn't leave because of a 3rd party, then why on earth did he leave? I think that he thinks that another club somewhere will jump at the chance to sign him up but he needs to be careful that his behaviour towards Fulham will not cause oher clubs to be cautious about him. There is no doubt about it, he showed Fulham absolutly NO respect. To him we are nothing but a small club. So sorry, Sparky,  butI hope you regret leaving us the way you did.

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11677_6964527,00.html?

Latics plan Martinez talks
Wigan ready to offer manager new deal to ward off rival clubs

Wigan are ready to offer Roberto Martinez a new deal to ward off the threat of any interest from Premier League rivals Aston Villa and Fulham.

The Spaniard, who has been at the DW Stadium for two years, helped the Latics remain in the Premier League with victory over Stoke on Survival Sunday.

His efforts for the North West outfit and previously at Swansea have attracted the interest of rival clubs and Wigan are now eager to secure his long-term future.

Villa parted company with Gerard Houllier on Wednesday evening and Mark Hughes left Fulhamon Thursday, with Martinez subsequently mentioned as a possible contender for both posts.

But chief executive Jonathan Jackson is keen to retain the services of the former Latics player, and revealed talks involving Martinez and chairman Dave Whelan will take place in the near future.

Look forward

"Clearly Roberto will be linked with other jobs because of how well he's done here, but we all want him to stay," Jackson told the Wigan Evening Post.

"Roberto has done fantastically well for this football club and we'd love him to remain here for many years.

"We've all been fully focused on what was going on at the end of the season, and ensuring we remained in the Premier League.

"Now we can look forward, and that (Martinez's future) will be one of the main topics on our agenda. It will be something we'll be looking at over the next month or so."

Five-year plan

Jackson accepts that there may be a time when Martinez looks to pastures new in the future, but feels that the respected young tactician is still in the middle of his project with Wigan.

Jackson added: "Personally I think Roberto will end up as manager of a very top club in the future. If and when that happens we'll have to prepare for that.

"But it's been well-documented that he's got a five-year plan at this club, which involves overhauling the youth development side of things as well as establishing Wigan as a Premier League side that not only survives every year but pushes on towards the top 10.

"We're in the middle of that process now and I think he's enjoying the challenge."

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/fulham-captain-murphy-lauds-dempsey-1672911?

Fulham captain Murphy lauds Dempsey

Fulham skipper Danny Murphy has given plenty of praise to star goalscorer Clint Dempsey.

The USA international became the all-time leading Premier League scorer for the Cottagers this season with his tally of 12 taking his overall count to 33, bypassing Frenchman Steed Malbranque and fellow American Brian McBride.

But Murphy said it was more than just goals which makes Dempsey stand out from the rest.

"I think people forget just what Clint can bring to a side," said Murphy speaking to fulhamfc.com. "We know that he has a lot of skill and is one of those players that can make things happen out of nothing.

"But there's more to his game. He tracks back, he wins tackles and is a valuable outlet when under pressure. I think he's the longest-serving player in the current squad and that's testament to his ability and how much he means to the Club.

"For me, last season he was terrific – he really stood out."

And Murphy went on, saying that the attacking midfielder did a tremendous job in the absence of more noted attackers Bobby Zamora, Moussa Dembélé and Andy Johnson.

"Clint was probably the mainstay of our strike force for long periods of the season," explained Murphy. "We had a lot of injuries to our forwards with Bobby joined by Mousa Dembélé and Andrew Johnson for long periods.

"As a result a lot of pressure was put on his [Clint's] shoulders and he did extremely well. If it wasn't for his goals and desire to do well, at what proved to be a difficult time, then things could have been very different for us.

"He's a player that has a habit of being in the right place at the right time, and that was very evident last season. It was difficult having so many of the forwards missing, because let's be honest, they are the team's main source of goals.

"But Clint stepped up and relieved the pressure. I think he can be very happy with how he played last year and to become the Club's leading Premier League goal scorer shows the contribution that he has made since he came in."

WhiteJC

Fulham Sign Youth Prospect

The Club is pleased to confirm that 18-year-old Tom Donegan, a promising midfielder, has signed for Fulham Football Club from Everton FC, on a two-year contract that will see the youngster remain at the Cottage until June 2013.

Fulham fans who attended the Academy League Final at the Cottage in May 2011 will remember Donegan, an accomplished passer of the ball, as an integral figure in Everton's late victory over Fulham's U18s side.

Donegan became a full-time scholar at Everton in the summer of 2009 and was previously a member of Blackburn's academy. The midfielder will team up with Fulham's Development Squad at the start of the 2011/12 campaign. 

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/June/DoneganSigns.aspx?#ixzz1ODHDLwCO

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11668_6964552,00.html?

Hughes for Blues?
Could Hughes return to Stamford Bridge as manager?

Chelsea legend Kerry Dixon says Mark Hughes would be a good choice to replace Carlo Ancelotti at Stamford Bridge.

The Welshman has been linked with the vacancy after announcing his decision to leave Fulham, insisting he wants to find a job at a more high-profile club.

Hughes, who played for Chelsea between 1995 and 1998, would surely jump at the chance to make the short move across West London to work under billionaire owner Roman Abramovich.
Former Blues striker Dixon believes he would be a popular appointment and says he has a point to prove after being sacked by Manchester City last term.

"I would like to see Sparky given a chance," Dixon told Sky Sports News.

"I think he was a little bit unfairly treated at Manchester City and ultimately after finding his feet at Fulham he's done a good job.

"If Mark was given the job, surely he would galvanise the supporters here."

Hughes faces competition for the job from another fan favourite, Guus Hiddink, who took caretaker charge of Chelsea for half a season in 2009, winning the FA Cup and only losing one game.

The current Turkey boss has refused to comment on reports linking him with a return to the club, but Dixon feels he would be tempted to go back to domestic management with the Blues.

"The small amount of time that he had at Chelsea would endear him to the club," he said.

"Were he to leave the position as Turkey manager that would make him want to come to Chelsea and try his luck at making the transition.

"Players have moved on two years and we've got a couple of new players in like Fernando Torres and David Luiz, who have been integrated into the squad.

"I think Guus Hiddink could well be the man to do it."

The likes of Harry Redknapp, Andre Villas-Boas and Marco van Basten have also been touted for the position and Dixon encouraged the board to think carefully before making their decision.

"The important thing is to get it right or to try and get it right," he said.

"Whether they interview a list of people who are touted about or whether they check the availability... I really don't know the procedure as regards how they get their manager.

"I just hope when they make their choice the decision's the right one."

WhiteJC

http://www.football365.com/mediawatch/0,17033,8749_6964541,00.html?

The Page That Has Never Liked Him, Or His special one Face

Ambitions
If there are any Fulham fans out there irked at Mark Hughes (and from what Mediawatch has heard so far, the response from Craven Cottage has been a big fat shrug), then Sparky asks that they understand his decision to leave.

"I hope the supporters and all those connected with the club will understand I wish to move on to further my experiences," said Hughes.

Fair enough. Not as if Sparky has given the impression that Fulham do in fact satisfy his ambitions recently, is it?

Oh, wait...

30 April: "I'm hoping to sit down with the club and talk about my future...I want to stay because I like this club. I think it's run well with good people and we can be successful. What we have achieved since Christmas gives me encouragement for the whole of next season. We've got good quality players here and, like most clubs, we'll try to add to that quality in the summer. If we can I feel confident that the next few years will be very successful."

11 May: "I'm very happy at Craven Cottage and am looking forward enormously to building on what we have achieved this season. I enjoy a good relationship with the owner, management, players and supporters of Fulham Football Club and look forward to continuing that relationship next season."

23 May: "When you have all I have in place here, you don't give it up lightly. There'll be speculation about my future because, if a manager does reasonably well, you get talked about in glowing terms. But from my point of view, I'm very happy here and it is not my intention to look elsewhere."

Hats Off
You have to admire the set of cojones on display at The Daily Star, whose back page reads 'SPARKY: I QUIT! EXCLUSIVE!'

For the record, the news was on F365 at 17.57 on Thursday.

From The Same Hymn Sheet
"It's no use just Robin van Persie going because it looks like it's just him having a go at the ref. If we all get round him....You just see the other teams do it and you think 'we need to do it as well" - Jack Wilshere, May 31.

"If you want to witness a lot of complaints, you should just go the bakery or something. There's always people nagging there as well. Chelsea players are always bitching against the referees. I really cannot understand that. Just shut the f*** up and focus on playing football" - Robin Van Persie, June 2.

Fair Play
Great stuff from RvP, obviously.

Chelsea bitch at refs, do they? They're always complaining and making the officials' lives miserable eh? And Arsenal don't and should do more of it you say? Interesting.

A quick glance at the final Premier League fair play table sees Chelsea sitting rather proudly at the top, while Arsenal are in a respectable-but-could-do-better position of eighth.

By the by, Robin, part of the Fair Play tally is decided by points awarded to each team for 'Respect towards the referee' in each game. Over the season Chelsea gained 227, while Arsenal got 220.

Better Than Them
Incidentally, at the tail end of RvP's highly entertaining rant was the following gem:

"A club like Manchester City change their philosophy every year and Chelsea spent about €80 million [£70m] this season ... two clubs who had a big mouth before the season, thinking that Arsenal wouldn't play a role in the title race but we are still ahead of them."

May we direct you towards...oh, what's that list of teams with numbers and stuff next to them...ah yes! The league table!

Buns
And one final thing on RvP - what the hell is going on at the bakeries round Robin's way?

CRISIS!
Ah, it's England time again, and you know what that means - yep, The Sun roll up to use any single morsel of a hint of an excuse to undermine Fabio Capello.

Take their big back page EXCLUSIVE! this morning, headlined 'ENGLAND CRISIS'.

Writes Charlie Wyett: 'Darren Bent is England's only fully-fit striker for tomorrow's 2012 Euro qualifier with Switzerland...Peter Crouch has back trouble while Bobby Zamora is still struggling with a hip injury picked up at the end of the season with Fulham. Both trained all this week but are playing though the pain barrier.'

Hmmm. So both players trained all week, but England are 'in crisis'.

Well we're terrified.

Quote Of The Day
"Not yet" - David Beckham responds when asked if he has a tattoo on his penis. Lord.

Daily Mail Headline Of The Day
'Amnesty shambles lets in 250,000 asylum seekers.'

Non-Football Story Of the Day
'A trial date is expected to be set on Thursday for 12 people arrested in connection with setting a pastor alight after accusing him of using a magic penis to sleep with women. The nine men and three women, aged between 28 and 50 will appear in the Boschfontein periodical court in Mpumalanga on charges murder and arson. The villagers, among them a community induna (headman), were arrested on February 24 after Albert Malwane, a pastor of the Izwi Zion Christian Church, was burnt to death a day before. Mpumalanga police spokesperson Leonard Hlathi said that Malwane had been dragged from his one-roomed house in the Etitandini informal settlement near Jeppes Reef south of Malalane and taken to a hill, where he was set alight.

'Malwane's house was also burnt and his wife and daughter went into hiding. Community members had accused him of talking to animals and using an invisible penis to sleep with women in the informal settlement. They also accused his wife of turning into a snail and terrorising the community' - News24.com.

Runner-Up
'Independence police responding to an alligator sighting in a suburban Kansas City pond took quick action to dispatch the big reptile. It wasn't until after the second rifle shot bounced off the beast's head Saturday evening that the three officers realized it was a concrete lawn ornament. Independence police spokesman Tom Gentry says a resident called to report that his children spotted a gator while playing in the woods near the pond. After a conservation agent advised police to kill the gator if they felt it posed a danger, an officer shot it twice in the head before realizing it wasn't moving. Gentry says the gator was partially submerged in weeds and looked real in the growing darkness. The landowner says it was meant to scare off children' - AP.

Thanks to today's Mediawatch spotters The quite excellent Daniel Tilles, John Briggs and Roy Henderson. If you spot anything that belongs on this page, mail us at [email protected], putting 'Mediawatch' in the subject field.

WhiteJC

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-23956266-its-vital-fulham-get-it-right-when-they-appoint-next-manager.do?

It's vital Fulham get it right when they appoint next manager

Wherever Fulham turn to next for their third manager in a year, they must avoid the mistakes made in appointing Mark Hughes last summer.

The very public pursuit of Martin Jol left Hughes with nowhere to hide from the knowledge he was second choice. He was unveiled on August 3, leaving him little time to act in the transfer market and yet he made two astute signings in Mousa Dembele and Carlos Salcido to bolster the squad.

However, Bobby Zamora's broken leg robbed Fulham
of their spearhead and they often lost direction in matches as a result, pumping balls forward for strikers who thrived on a different kind of service.

This only compounded Hughes's struggle to influence the team's style and Fulham consequently flirted with the relegation zone before staging a dramatic recovery to finish eighth.

Such a rallying conclusion to the campaign lends further credence to the notion Hughes is a manager of some talent but his utterance that leaving Fulham will "further my experiences" as a "young, ambitious manager" leaves a bitter taste for the Craven Cottage faithful.

A manager needs self-confidence to succeed but there has always remained a gap between how good Hughes thinks he is and what he has achieved. The 47-year-old took Wales to the brink of qualification for Euro 2004 and secured three top-10 finishes and as many cup semi-finals with Blackburn.

Hughes signed up to do a job at Manchester City but found the goalposts moved to the extreme by Sheikh Mansour's takeover at the club and the sense of unfinished business at a top club is clearly a hugely motivating factor behind his decision to quit Fulham.

But it would still require a considerable leap of faith for the top club he craves to appoint him - even Chelsea, who would have the added incentive that comes with Hughes being a former player.

There is a feeling that he still needs to earn his spurs and he could have done so at Fulham, who will in turn feel used. Although his departure from City in unfortunate circumstances may have evoked widespread sympathy, that sentiment will be eroded by his abrupt exit from Fulham.

However, the club left themselves open to this situation by allowing a break clause in Hughes's contract in the first place. The offer of a new two-year deal - to which it is claimed the Welshman verbally agreed - attempted to right that wrong but the damage had already been done.

It was a dangerous concoction to allow a man developing a reputation as a managerial nomad the chance to have his head turned. Although Aston Villa and Chelsea have given lukewarm responses to Hughes's availability, it remains unlikely he would depart without another job in mind. He always has another job in mind. Hughes feels he is worthy of succeeding Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United or some other top job and is tailoring his career accordingly.

Fulham must have known this when jumping into bed with Hughes and are now presented with a difficult challenge in finding his successor. Do they give a chance to an up-and-coming manager in the hope he can provide stability through longevity? Or do they go for a big name in the knowledge he is highly likely to use Fulham as a stepping stone just like Hughes has?

Fulham deserve a manager who treats them with respect. The jury must be out on whether leading candidate Martin O'Neill would do that.

Sam Allardyce was partly motivated to take the reins at West Ham to get back into football and prove himself in London with a view to the England job next summer and O'Neill would have similar designs. Do well with Fulham and he would be a genuine challenger to Harry Redknapp - do badly and his claims would all but disappear.

After interviewing on more than one occasion with the Football Association for the England job, O'Neill clearly has grand designs but do Fulham want to get involved with another manager who has a different agenda?

It is a tough call but one they must handle better than last time.

WhiteJC

Mark Hughes 'could head to Dubai after Aston Villa deny interest'
The manner in which Mark Hughes decided to leave Fulham has reportedly soured any interest Aston Villa had in signing him as a replacement for Gerard Houllier, while speculation is mounting that he could join Dubai outfit Al-Ahli.

Hughes's next move is as good as anyone's guess after he walked out on Fulham on Thursday, but his method of exit has left a bitter taste especially with the club's chairman Mohamed Al Fayed - who is understood to have been preparing a contract extension for the former Wales boss.

'The chairman became increasingly annoyed by Mark positioning himself for another club, whilst still negotiating with us, and having agreed terms.' a Fulham spokesperson told the Guardian.

A move to the vacant hot-seat at Villa appeared to be a logical choice for the Welshman to make, but reports have since emerged that as soon as the news broke that he was leaving Craven Cottage staff at Aston Villa called to say they weren't interested.

Hughes released a statement from a holiday in Dubai claiming no third party had 'influenced' his decision to leave Fulham.

But the 47-year-old's next career move could well be based in the United Arab Emirates at Al-Ahli, a club which approached him just before he joined Fulham.

The offer was declined by Hughes, however the club is desperate to find a new coach when they sacked David O'Leary in April this year after just eight months in charge at the club.

Assistant coach Abdul Hamid Al Mistaki is still acting as the club's caretaker manager and a potentially lucrative offer appears to be on the horizon.

Finances aren't a problem at the club which is owned by the Crown Prince of Dubai - Sheikh Hamdan Bin Mohammad Al Maktoum.
Attracting big names also isn't an issue with the club hitting the headlines in 2010 when they announced they had signed Italian World Cup winning captain Fabio Cannavaro from Juventus.

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/865213-mark-hughes-could-head-to-dubai-after-aston-villa-deny-interest#ixzz1ODPdGgRy

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/06/be-careful-what-you-say-sparky/?

Be careful what you say, Sparky
by DAN on JUNE 3, 2011

Plenty of talk today that Mark Hughes left Fulham because we were ambitious enough for him (see here and here).

But, as Football 365 point out, it's worth looking at what he's said since being in charge at Craven Cottage.

Mark Hughes, yesterday:

As a young, ambitious manager I wish to move on to further my experiences. I believe my management team and I have done a good job and the club has a strong foundation from which they can go forward [...] I hope the supporters and all those connected with the club will understand I wish to move on to further my experiences.

30 April:

I'm hoping to sit down with the club and talk about my future...I want to stay because I like this club. I think it's run well with good people and we can be successful. What we have achieved since Christmas gives me encouragement for the whole of next season. We've got good quality players here and, like most clubs, we'll try to add to that quality in the summer. If we can I feel confident that the next few years will be very successful.

11 May:

I'm very happy at Craven Cottage and am looking forward enormously to building on what we have achieved this season. I enjoy a good relationship with the owner, management, players and supporters of Fulham Football Club and look forward to continuing that relationship next season.

23 May:

When you have all I have in place here, you don't give it up lightly. There'll be speculation about my future because, if a manager does reasonably well, you get talked about in glowing terms. But from my point of view, I'm very happy here and it is not my intention to look elsewhere.

When Hughes was harshly sacked by Manchester City, the LMA put a statement of support and backed him to the hilt. They've been very quiet over the last 24 hours.

WhiteJC

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/premiership/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/06/03/SOCCER_Chelsea.html

HUGHES WELCOME AT CHELSEA - TERRY

Chelsea captain John Terry would welcome the appointment of Mark Hughes or Guus Hiddink as Chelsea boss.

The Blues are looking for a successor to Carlo Ancelotti and Hughes, who resigned as Fulham boss yesterday, and Turkey coach Hiddink have been linked with the role.

Hiddink enjoyed a successful spell in caretaker charge of Chelsea two years ago, winning the FA Cup, while Hughes played at Stamford Bridge for three years.

"There's a lot of speculation out there at the moment," Terry told a press conference ahead of England's Euro 2012 qualifier against Switzerland tomorrow.

"I was very sad to see Carlo go, and as a group of players we will wait for the club to make a decision. There's a lot of managers been linked at the moment.

On Hughes, Terry added: "He's someone that hopefully the club will be talking to. If it's him he will be welcomed by the players."

He added: "We had a great time under Guus, he would be welcomed back.

"Whether we are going to get someone who knows the club or someone different, that's out of the players hands."

WhiteJC

Is There Something We Should Know?
Is there something going on we don`t know about?

The reason I ask is that the more I delve into the internet the more I`m becoming convinced that Mark Hughes could very well become the next manager of Chelsea Football Club.

John Terry, getting ready to lead England in the crucial European Championship qualifier against Switzerland this weekend, has given a few comments, at the England press conference, that could be viewed as substantiating that possibility with John remarking,

"There's a lot of speculation out there at the moment'

'I was very sad to see Carlo go, and as a group of players we will wait for the club to make a decision. There's a lot of managers been linked at the moment."

And adding, on the possibility of Hughes being appointed, Terry added,

'He's someone that hopefully the club will be talking to. If it's him he will be welcomed by the players.'

Continuing on a theme, another Chelsea legend in Kerry Dixon has also had his say on the possibility of Hughes getting the nod, commenting on Sky Sports,

'I would like to see Sparky given a chance.'

'I think he was a little bit unfairly treated at Manchester City and ultimately after finding his feet at Fulham he's done a good job."

'If Mark was given the job, surely he would galvanise the supporters here.'

Do I have a point or am I simply becoming paranoid?

Read more: http://www.chelsea.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=523516#ixzz1ODWlbsM7

WhiteJC

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/06/03/SOCCER_Fulham.html&TEAMHD=soccer&BID=165

SENDEROS URGES FULHAM TO ACT QUICKLY

Fulham defender Philippe Senderos was shocked to see Mark Hughes resign and has urged the Fulham board to appoint his successor as soon as possible.

Hughes quit as Fulham boss on Thursday after guiding the Cottagers to eighth in his first season in charge.

The London club also qualified for next season's Europa League under his stewardship, albeit via the Fair Play League.

The Welshman has been hotly tipped to take over the vacant manager's position at Aston Villa, although he insisted after his resignation that he had not already held talks with the midlands club.

Martin Jol is the bookmakers' favourite for the manager's position at Fulham, while Steve McClaren and Martin O'Neill have also been mentioned as possible candidates.

Whoever gets the job, they will have to start work quickly, with Fulham's Europa League qualifier less than four weeks away.

The players are due to report back for pre-season training on June 23 and Senderos wants a new man in charge quickly.

"I didn't see it coming, no-one did," Senderos said.

"It's sad for everyone because we have had a good campaign and we were hoping to build on that next season but we will see what happens.

"It's something that happens in football. The sooner Fulham are able to get a manager, the better."

Senderos only played three games under Hughes after he ruptured his Achilles tendon in August but is now back to full fitness and is likely to play in Switzerland's Euro 2012 qualifier against England at Wembley on Saturday.

WhiteJC

http://www.footylatest.com/qpr-and-west-brom-chasing-fulham-striker/22494?

QPR and West Brom chasing Fulham striker
Fulham striker Andrew Johnson looks set leave Craven Cottage, with both West Bromwich Albion and Queens Park Rangers both trying to get his signature before the new season starts, to bolster up their strike force, the England former international who hasn't represented England since 2007 is still seen as a potent striker, who can still fit into any side.

Johnson who started his professional career with Birmingham City in 1997, has had a good travelled career also playing for Crystal Palace, Everton and currently at Fulham where he has been since signing for them in 2008 making 63 appearances to date for the Craven Cottage club.

The fee Fulham will be asking for is believed to be around the €5 million mark, a sum that many would still consider worthwhile for any club to shell out for the striker.

Many sceptics still believe that Johnson has had his day and is not the potent threat that his early career once promised, but this has not deterred newly promoted Queens Park Rangers from adding him to their wish list at Loftus Road, with new Premier League rivals and former Championship rivals West Bromwich Albion also looking at bringing the striker to the Hawthorns.