watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (04/06/2011)

Started by RidgeRider, June 04, 2011, 02:56:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

What are the odds an England substitute scores against Switzerland? Find out here

With that granite jaw and stern face, you never quite know what's going on inside the granite brain of Fabio Capello.

Switzerland, England's opponents in their upcoming Euro 2012 qualifier, have a reputation for being resolute, determined and difficult to break down.

Well, you have to be when your nuclear deterrent is a Swiss Army Knife.

It seems to work though, Switzerland as a country has never ever been invaded and nobody really knows why.

It probably helps that their national flag looks uncannily similar to the First Aid badge.

The last two games the Swiss have played ended goalless - so have four of their last nine matches.

Switzerland's matches aren't great to watch if you're a neutral and that's unfortunate because most people in Switzerland tend to be neutrals. Especially when there's a war on.

Matters haven't been helped with the retirement of star striker Alexander Frei, who had the advantage of always being available on a Frei transfer.

England are 4-11 to win the match with the Swiss available at 17-2.

Hills also offer 3-1 that any England substitute scores a goal. The only problem with that bet is that the bench-sitters are Peter Crouch and Bobby Zamora, men adept at missing sitters.

William Hill Euro 2012 outright betting: 3/1 Spain; 4/1 Germany; 6/1 Holland; 8/1 England; 10/1 Italy; 10/1 France; 16/1 Portugal; 20/1 Russia; 25/1 Croatia; 33/1 Ukraine; 40/1 Poland; 50/1 Bar

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/blogs/betting-blog/England-Switzerland-Fabio-Capello-substitute-score-Peter-Crouch-Bobby-Zamora-win-Euro-2012-outright-Derek-McGovern-s-Bets-of-the-Day-article744152.html#ixzz1OHp8SvPn

WhiteJC

http://life.hereisthecity.com/2011/06/04/fulham-hoping-to-lure-martin-jol-with-personal-touch-and-a-big-s/?

Fulham Hope To Lure Martin Jol With Personal Touch And Big Salary

Martin Jol wants to return to the Premier League and he holds the key to the managerial searches at Fulham and Aston Villa, with the London club appearing his more likely destination.

The Dutchman is aware that he features prominently on the shortlists at both clubs, who are in the market for a manager after parting company with Mark Hughes and Gérard Houllier respectively. Jol, the former Tottenham Hotspur manager, was close to moving to Fulham last summer, after Roy Hodgson departed for Liverpool, only for Ajax, his then club, to block the deal.

Fulham have since remained in contact with Jol, which has flattered him, and they hope the personal touch, allied to their ability to grant him a huge salary, will give them the edge.

Villa are believed to have Steve McClaren in their thoughts and the former England manager would jump at the opportunity to join them. But, together with the outsider, Roberto Martínez of Wigan Athletic, McClaren appears to be behind Jol in the reckoning. There have been suggestions that a candidate who has so far remained under the radar could yet come to the fore at Villa Park, with Owen Coyle of Bolton Wanderers having been mentioned. Coyle, however, has not been approached at this stage.

Villa maintain that Hughes is not under consideration for the vacancy, despite figures within the game seeing more than coincidence in the timing of his resignation from Fulham. He activated the break clause in his contract on Wednesday night, roughlyan hour after Villa had confirmed Houllier's departure and just before the expiry of the clause at midnight. He will leave the club as a free agent on 30 June.

The theory runs that Hughes would not have walked out if he did not have a job to go to and it is understood he thought the Villa job was his. Villa, however, were distinctly unimpressed with the way Hughes handled his departure at Fulham and insist he no longer features in their thoughts.

Hughes's representative, Kia Joorabchian, said his client resigned because Fulham did not match his ambitions and not because he expects to take the Villa job. "One of the things he looked for at the end of the season was to see if there was an ambition for Fulham to go to the next level. Mark left Fulham because he wanted to explore his aspirations. [He] wants to go to a club where he can fight for titles and win championships."

Fulham fear Jol could go to Villa, as it is the bigger club but they will again do their best to take him to Craven Cottage. He was their No1 choice last summer to succeed Hodgson, ahead of Hughes, and showed his intention to join them by agreeing personal terms in principle on a three-year contract. Ajax, though, refused to release him. Fulham's anger at what they perceive to have been a betrayal by Hughes has been best reflected by Fayed. He sent a message to each one of his first-team players to stress that the success of this past season had been a team effort, with the subtext being that Hughes's loss was of no concern.

Fayed, though, is looking forward and he has been inundated with applications for the vacant post. Avram Grant and Chris Hughton have been among the managers to show an interest. Martin O'Neill and McClaren have also been touted.

This article was written by David Hytner and Stuart James, for The Guardian on Friday 3rd June 2011 22.00 Europe/London

WhiteJC

http://life.hereisthecity.com/2011/06/04/fulham-did-not-match-mark-hughess-ambitions-says-kia-joorabchian/?

Fulham Didn't Match Mark Hughes's Ambitions, Says Kia Joorabchian

Mark Hughes resigned as Fulham manager because the club did not match his ambitions and not because he expected to take the vacant Aston Villa job, according to his representative, Kia Joorabchian.

Hughes activated a break clause in his contract to walk away from Craven Cottage on Thursday after a single season in charge but Villa said they are not interested in his services.

Joorabchian told Sky Sports News: "He's an ambitious manager. One of the things he looked for at the end of the season was to see if there was an ambition for Fulham to go to the next level. Mark left Fulham because he wanted to explore his aspirations, [he] wants to go to a club where he can fight for titles and win championships.

"He gave Fulham everything he possible could in [his] one year and he wanted to be honest with them, rather than them spend in the transfer window buying players that he would recommend and then he comes to leave in November or December or January – the middle of the year."

Regarding Villa Joorabchian said: "There's a lot of press speculation saying that certain jobs are available or coming to be available and Mark [would take them]. This is not true. Mark left Fulham because he wanted to go in a different direction. Villa have their own direction."

Joorabchian denied that Hughes had agreed a new contract with Fulham only to change his mind 24 hours later but he suggested that, if the club had offered him a new one earlier, then Hughes might still be their manager. "Contract talks started probably a week, two weeks before the end of the season. But it was only five or six days ago when something was placed in front of him," he said.

John Terry has said he would welcome Hughes as the replacement for Carlo Ancelotti as Chelsea manager and Joorabchian said the Welshman would be "honoured" regarding any potential approach. "Mark has aspirations to manage [at a club like Chelsea] – I'm sure that if they approach [him] Mark would be more than happy to speak with them, it would be an honour for him," he said, adding that, if Harry Redknapp left Tottenham Hotspur for Chelsea, Hughes would also be interested in managing Spurs. "These are big clubs – Mark would be more than happy to be manager of any those clubs."

Joorabchian also represents Carlos Tevez, whose future at Manchester City is in doubt and who told Argentinian radio last month that he wants to leave. His former partner, who did not embrace life in England, lives with his daughters in Buenos Aires and Tevez wants them to join him. He has been exploring whether they would do so in Spain or Italy.

"It's difficult to talk about offers. Carlos is a big player who will attract big clubs," Joorabchian said. "He personally has had a very good season at City. He's happy with the situation at City. I think it all boils down to his family. If they feel comfortable about moving to Manchester, then there's every chance he will stay at Manchester.

"He was one of the first to join this project. He had ambitions to get City to the Champions League and to win a trophy. He has helped them do that."

This article was written by Jamie Jackson, for guardian.co.uk on Friday 3rd June 2011 20.12 Europe/London

WhiteJC

http://www.lep.co.uk/sport/football/big_interview_with_ex_preston_forward_michael_conroy_1_3447421

Big interview...with ex-Preston forward Michael Conroy
Published on Saturday 4 June 2011 07:00

Scottish former Preston North End fans' favourite Michael Conroy has long since left these shores and built a new life out in Australia.

And while Conroy enjoys all the trappings an Australian lifestyle has to offer, it is clear the accent will always remain proudly Scottish and his love for the UK, particularly the North West, will never cease.

In fact, Conroy reminisces glowingly about his time at Deepdale and yearns for the days when the Town End used to sing: 'Who put the ball in the Blackpool net...Super Micky Conroy'.

That famous PNE chant, of course, alludes to the time when Conroy hit the only goal of the game against the Tangerines in an FA Cup first round tie at Deepdale.

The match was televised live on television – in the early, fledgling days of Sky Sports – and Conroy's brave header certainly endeared him to the Deepdale faithful.

He said: "I have some great memories of my time at North End.

"I've just been looking up some of my goals on YouTube. One of the highlights was scoring the winner against Blackpool in the FA Cup.

"All my workmates over here in Australia and my two daughters can't believe that's me scoring that goal.

"I remember on my home debut, I scored a hat-trick against Shrewsbury – so I've been on the YouTube and showing all the lads over here."

Conroy, who is the current head coach of Melbourne-based side Doncaster Rovers, who play in the Men's State League Division Two South East, was signed by John Beck in a £85,000 deal from neighbours Burnley in 1993.

He had been the first man in nearly 30 years to score more than 20 goals in a season for the Clarets, and Conroy admits he didn't want to leave.

However, Beck soon sold the Lilywhites to him and made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

Said Conroy: "I look on the North West as a second home. It was great. I was very happy at Burnley and I didn't want to leave there.

"I loved living in the town and made a lot of friends. I had a really enjoyable time there.

"But I was coming to the end of my two-year contract and Preston came in with a big offer. It was a much bigger offer than what Burnley were offering.

"It was an offer I could not refuse really. I was 26 at the time and football is a short-lived career so I made the move to Preston. I had a great time there and have some great memories.

"It's a very, very big club.

"I remember when I signed for Burnley, my dad telling me what a big club they were and it was only until I got there that I realised how big they were and how big they were at one time.

"It was the same with Preston – they both have very loyal supporters.

"One thing that sticks in the memory, I went back to Deepdale after I signed for Fulham and I was warming up before the game and the boys behind the goal at the Town End were chanting my name... 'Super Micky Conroy'.

"I must admit it nearly reduced me to tears, and that's something I'll always remember."

While Conroy's move to Australia has handed him relative anonymity, he is quick to remind everyone in his adopted country of his footballing exploits back home.

One particular story which certainly pricks the ears of the players at Doncaster in the dressing room, is the time he shared a pitch with David Beckham at Preston.

"It's another story I can tell to the lads over here," he said.

"I played in the same team as David Beckam.

"We actually scored in the same game once.

"We beat Fulham either 2-1 or 3-2, I can't remember what the exact score was but we both scored – so I tell everybody over here that I scored in the same game as David Beckham.

"He only came to North End for a month, he was just a kid at the time but he was great to play with."

The former England skipper was, of course, loaned out to North End by Manchester United in the mid-90s.

Conroy, 45, remembers Beckham as a shy boy, who worked hard at his game.

And while he was always convinced he would reach the top as a player, he would never have envisaged that Beckham would become the iconic world star that he is today.

Said Conroy: "As a player, yes – I always thought he would get to the top, but I never thought he would become the person he has become.

"You could tell he was always going to be a top player.

"He came into training every day and trained like you would expect a player from Manchester United would do.

"He mixed in well with the lads but he was a quiet type of a lad. He had no airs and graces about him."

Conroy's time at Deepdale coincided with the start of Preston slow rise back up the English football league ladder – ultimately culminating in the club spending a decade or so in the Championship and embarking on several tilts at winning promotion to the Premier League. He still avidly follows the English game and was disappointed to see North End suffer relegation to League One last season.

However, he is convinced that Phil Brown is the right man to lead North End to promotion at the first time of asking next season.

He added: "The year that Preston won promotion under Gary Peters, I had left to go to Fulham.

"But we were always in and around the play-offs when I was there so I suppose you could say I was at the start of the rise back.

"We lost in the play-off final to Wycombe the first year I was there in 1994 and got to the semi-finals the year after.

"Obviously getting to Wembley in '94 was a great achievement by the club.

"I got on the bench for that match although I didn't get on – I'd had a groin strain in the weeks before

"But that was definitely one of the highlights of my time at Preston – to walk up the same tunnel that so many world class players of the past had done was just phenomenal.

"I was sad to see Preston get relegated this season.

"Darren Ferguson come in, he had done well at Peterborough in getting them promoted but it didn't work out for him at Preston but he's gone back to Peterborough and he's got them promoted – work that one out?

"Phil Brown is someone I played against. He was a well respected coach at Bolton under Sam Allardyce.

"I'm glad for Phil Brown that he's got back in football. He did well at Hull getting them to the Premier League.

"I don't know him that well but when I played against him, he always came across as a very enthusiastic guy – a good football man.

"I am sure he will get Preston promoted."

Born in Glasgow, Conroy began his career at Coventry City as an apprentice.

He failed to make an impression in the first team at Highfield Road and returned to his native Scotland.

His performances during spells at Clydebank and St Mirren soon caught the eye of English scouts and he was sold to Reading in 1988.

Conroy figured regularly at Elm Park but was not always played in his favoured centre forward position.

His career really took off when he was signed by Burnley, who were then in the old Fourth Division, in 1991.

His first season saw him score 28 goals as the Clarets stormed to the title.

The season after he helped Burnley consolidate their position in the division above before Beck brought him to Preston.

His goalscoring record at Deepdale was impressive as he scored 22 goals in 57 appearances.

It was enough for Fulham to make a move for Conroy and he enjoyed another excellent goalscoring spell at Craven Cottage.

He added: "I won the Fourth Division title and promotion with Burnley and I was the first person in nearly 30 years to score 20 goals in a season for them.

"I was also the first person in 20 years to score more than 20 goals in a season at Fulham.

"It's great to be part of the history of clubs like Preston, Burnley and Fulham.

"If you look at some of the players to play for those clubs in the past, they are not only good player but world class players so for me to be part of their history is a privilege and proud for me to look back on."

Conroy, who ended his career in England with spells at Blackpool and Chester, emigrated to Australia in 1999.

His wife Sarah is Australian, who he met during his days playing for Burnley.

He added: "I moved over to Australia in 1999, She always wanted to go back."

Conroy initially signed for Aussie outfit Carlton and has since settled into coaching Doncaster, who play two divisions below the National A-League.

"When I first came over here, I signed a two-year contract with Carlton in the National Senior League but the club went bust.

"There was Stuart Slater, the winger who used to play for West Ham and Celtic, and Dave MacPherson, who played for Rangers, all three of us came to the same club but it went bankrupt."

Conroy then moved to Eastern Pride but they too were beset with financial problems and folded.

He is currently happy with life living in a small suburb on the outskirts of Melbourne and is in charge of logistics at a Japanese golf company.

"It's a great lifestyle," he said."The weather makes a big difference to your lifestyle.

"It gets hot – sometimes it gets too hot.

"The football is not the same as back home – that's a big miss. The facilities you get over here are as good as what you get in UK but obviously the standard of football is not as good.

"Doncaster has got the facilities to take the next step up and hopefully we can do that. The Victorian Premier League is the league that we want to go into – that's the ultimate aim."

"But it's great life for me and my family over here.

"I've got one daughter who was born in England and one daughter who was born in Australia. I've got Meaghan, who was born in Burnley General Hospital, and then I've got Maya, whose an Aussie. It's like the league of nations in our house. There's a Scot, an English girl and two Aussies."

Mr Fulham

Quote from: WhiteJC on June 04, 2011, 09:07:42 AM
http://life.hereisthecity.com/2011/06/04/fulham-did-not-match-mark-hughess-ambitions-says-kia-joorabchian/?

Fulham Didn't Match Mark Hughes's Ambitions, Says Kia Joorabchian

Mark Hughes resigned as Fulham manager because the club did not match his ambitions and not because he expected to take the vacant Aston Villa job, according to his representative, Kia Joorabchian.

Hughes activated a break clause in his contract to walk away from Craven Cottage on Thursday after a single season in charge but Villa said they are not interested in his services.

Joorabchian told Sky Sports News: "He's an ambitious manager. One of the things he looked for at the end of the season was to see if there was an ambition for Fulham to go to the next level. Mark left Fulham because he wanted to explore his aspirations, [he] wants to go to a club where he can fight for titles and win championships.

"He gave Fulham everything he possible could in [his] one year and he wanted to be honest with them, rather than them spend in the transfer window buying players that he would recommend and then he comes to leave in November or December or January – the middle of the year."

Regarding Villa Joorabchian said: "There's a lot of press speculation saying that certain jobs are available or coming to be available and Mark [would take them]. This is not true. Mark left Fulham because he wanted to go in a different direction. Villa have their own direction."

Joorabchian denied that Hughes had agreed a new contract with Fulham only to change his mind 24 hours later but he suggested that, if the club had offered him a new one earlier, then Hughes might still be their manager. "Contract talks started probably a week, two weeks before the end of the season. But it was only five or six days ago when something was placed in front of him," he said.

John Terry has said he would welcome Hughes as the replacement for Carlo Ancelotti as Chelsea manager and Joorabchian said the Welshman would be "honoured" regarding any potential approach. "Mark has aspirations to manage [at a club like Chelsea] – I'm sure that if they approach [him] Mark would be more than happy to speak with them, it would be an honour for him," he said, adding that, if Harry Redknapp left Tottenham Hotspur for Chelsea, Hughes would also be interested in managing Spurs. "These are big clubs – Mark would be more than happy to be manager of any those clubs."

Joorabchian also represents Carlos Tevez, whose future at Manchester City is in doubt and who told Argentinian radio last month that he wants to leave. His former partner, who did not embrace life in England, lives with his daughters in Buenos Aires and Tevez wants them to join him. He has been exploring whether they would do so in Spain or Italy.

"It's difficult to talk about offers. Carlos is a big player who will attract big clubs," Joorabchian said. "He personally has had a very good season at City. He's happy with the situation at City. I think it all boils down to his family. If they feel comfortable about moving to Manchester, then there's every chance he will stay at Manchester.

"He was one of the first to join this project. He had ambitions to get City to the Champions League and to win a trophy. He has helped them do that."

This article was written by Jamie Jackson, for guardian.co.uk on Friday 3rd June 2011 20.12 Europe/London

Dirty  099.gif the two of them!

WhiteJC

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/06/04/2517300/fulham-to-move-for-martin-jol-once-again-report?

Fulham to move for Martin Jol once again – report
Al-Fayed had agreed terms with the Dutchman until his former club Ajax pulled the plug on the deal - before Mark Hughes was given the job at Craven Cottage

Fulham owner Mohammed Al-Fayed is set to move for Martin Jol once again, having previously tried to hire him when he was in charge of Dutch giants Ajax.
According to The Mirror's sources, Jol is keen to become the manager at Craven Cottage and return to the Premier League where he previously managed Tottenham.

Jol is highly regarded in England from his time with Spurs, and has often spoken of his desire to return to the Premier League. He is thought unlikely to reject the overtures of Fulham, who finished in eighth place last season.

He nearly became Fulham manager last summer when the Cottagers were seeking to fill the vacancy created by Roy Hodgson's move to Liverpool, but despite agreeing terms Ajax pulled the plug on the deal late on, prompting Al-Fayed to move for Mark Hughes instead.

Now Hughes has left Fulham, and one-year on Jol is without a job and is again Al-Fayed's preferred choice for the vacant managerial position.

Any deal though could possibly hinge on the owner's willingness to back his manager in the transfer market.

Hughes has cited his reasons for leaving Fulham as Al-Fayed's reluctance to spend big in the transfer market and make a serious bid for silverware.

Hughes was reportedly desperate to push Fulham on up the table though Al-Fayed was more reserved in his ambitions for the club – preferring to build slowly

WhiteJC

http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/soccer_irish/29425/?

Jol favourite for Fulham job

Martin Jol has emerged as one of the favourites for both the Aston Villa and Fulham jobs.

The former Spurs and Hamburg manager is currently out of work after resigning from his position with Ajax in December.

According to the Guardian, Fulham, who were closed to appointing Jol last year until the move was blocked by his then club Ajax, have kept in contact with the 55 year old and are hoping that this contact and the promise of a big salary will tempt the Dutch man to Craven Cottage.

However Aston Villa, who are also reportedly interested in Steve McClaren are also keeping tabs on Jol having drawn up a shortlist of three that also includes Wigan's Roberto Martinez.

As reported yesterday, former Fulham Mark Hughes, who this week opted not to renew his contract, is not in the running for the Villa job.

Skybet makes Jol the 7/4 favourite for the Fulham job while he is 6/1 for the Villa Park job where Steve McClaren is 4/1 second favourite behind Hughes who is 5/2.

WhiteJC

http://www.teamtalk.com/newcastle-united/6965846/Hughton-looking-for-new-job?

Hughton looking for new job

Chris Hughton is ready for a return to management - and hoping for an opportunity at "the highest level possible".

The 52-year-old has been out of work since Newcastle showed him the door in December, with the Magpies lying 11th in the Premier League table at the time.

Hughton said on Saturday he has enjoyed the break - but with three Premier League teams currently managerless he is hoping for a return to the game soon.

He told Sky Sports News: "I've enjoyed the period of time I've had out (of management)... but I feel I've been ready for quite some time.

"I've always said I'd like to get back in at the right time and at the highest level possible."

Chelsea, Fulham and Aston Villa are all seeking a new manager and Hughton admitted: "I don't think there are many people who wouldn't be interested in those jobs.

"Maybe those clubs will have people in mind but of course I'd be interested in jobs of that calibre.

"But there is a process that takes place and I'm as aware of that as everyone else."

Hughton led Newcastle out of the Championship last year and may also be on the radar of Cardiff, who sacked Dave Jones on Monday after their hopes of promotion to the Premier League disappeared in the play-offs.

The former Tottenham, West Ham and Brentford defender added: "I would like to think what I've done in the last couple of years would stand me in good stead and that I would be in people's thoughts.

"I want to get back into the game in a management position, I feel I served a long apprenticeship as a number two, which stood me in good stead.

"For me the most important thing is to get back at the highest level possible - but the calibre of clubs in the Championship is very high."

Hughton added that he enjoyed his time out of the game and felt last season's top flight was "closer than ever".

He said: "There were surprises towards the end of the season but I think the gap between the top and bottom of the Premier League has been closer than ever - and we saw a really competitive Championship too."

alfie

Well it is good to know this now, maybe his next club should take note of that comment

'Mark never committed to anything. He's not that kind of person. Most people know that.    :tom:
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't