more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (07/06/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, June 07, 2011, 07:05:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Martin Jol favourite for Fulham job

MARTIN Jol has emerged as the frontrunner to become the new Fulham boss.

The Whites failed in their attempt to bring the Dutchman to Craven Cottage last summer, but the 55-year-old is now available after leaving Ajax in December, and is believed to be keen to return to England.

Jol is the bookies' favourite for the job, followed by Martin O'Neill, with former Fulham star Lee Clark in third.

Skipper Danny Murphy has also been linked to the vacancy, but the Chronicle understand the 34-year-old, who has started his coaching badges, wants to carry on playing as long as possible.

He said earlier this year: "I'll play as long as I have an impact, although I won't be going down the divisions to hang on for dear life."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/06/06/martin-jol-favourite-for-fulham-job-82029-28829830/?#ixzz1OZFZh3mJ

WhiteJC

WHY FULHAM SHOULD NOT FEEL TOO HARD DONE BY HUGHES' DEPARTURE

A lot has been made about Mark Hughes  handing in his resignation on Thursday. Unfortunately from a Fulham  fan's perspective, a lot of the coverage has been eclipsed by the vacant managerial spot at Villa Park  and once again the little West London club has taken a seat by the band amongst all of the rumours and speculation. Contract talks had stalled between Fulham and Hughes, with the Welshman taking an almighty gamble leaving a club where he had such strong backing from the board even during the first half of the season where the Cottagers were flirting with the prospect of potential relegation since the side were lacking in offensive options.

Craven Cottage  is a very friendly home ground, a destination many take their children and families for a game of football on the weekends. With this in mind, it would have been an understatement to have said that the atmosphere was hostile. Sitting in the Johnny Haynes stand, the fans were calling for Mark Hughes' head, Carlton Cole  had picked that day to turn up, putting a hat trick past Mark Schwarzer  and proving too much of a handful for the Fulham back four. The last straw was Hughes bringing on the young American Eddie Johnson  to try and salvage the game. Tempers were flaring amongst the spectators. It appeared that the Welshman's tactical incompetence was being brutally exposed. Although Fulham were not realistically going to be challenging for major honours, a position in the top flight of English football was definitely not being taken for granted and it was with this anxious tension that the fans rained down abuse.

Six months later, a more contrasting position could not have been imagined. Hughes had steered Fulham to their second highest Premier League finish without Bobby Zamora  for half a season and fans and players alike were looking forward to another Europa League adventure in the coming season through the granting of a place through the fair play rules. Everything was looking up, it appeared to only be a matter of time for a new contract to be offered and accepted. Next thing you know, the position vacated by Roy Hodgson  a season ago was once again empty.

The media coverage has been mainly centred around management jobs and contracts. Hughes' has tried very emphatically to highlight the fact this decision was not a result of an outside influence from another club. The gamble is a massive one. By walking out on Fulham with no real destination in mind, his reputation has taken a hit with many discussing his 'nomadic' approach to management, jumping from club to club. Perhaps it would be easy to suggest that this all came down to money and he was just not completely happy with the deal he was being offered.

After all, the clause in the contract was implemented since Fulham were not willing to fully meet his wage demands having arrived from the Man City job. The fact that Kia Joorabchian is his agent does not help his position, if Hughes wishes to claim that money was not the main decision driver in his resignation, those words will fall delicately on deaf ears.

Although not all is lost for Fulham. Hughes' tenure at Craven Cottage was indeed very successful. If Hodgson crafted the team into a defensively astute and organized unit, Hughes was able to bring an extra attacking dimension through a combination of signings and allowing the midfield to explore a more offensive mindset.

The signing of Steve Sidwell from Aston Villa  was a fundamental part of the new look side. His command of the midfield, passing ability and enthusiasm in hunting down the ball has been a major contribution to the team. Brede Hangeland  is without doubt a world class centre half and his presence both as a defender and as a towering threat during set pieces has been vital.

The capture of Eidur Gudjohnsen  on a permanent basis will be valuable asset  for the amount of games that will need to be played in the Europa League  next season. Injury to John Paintsil  saw Chris Baird  play at right back for a lot of the season and did such a good job that it ended up exposing Paintsil's defensive frailties and established Baird as the first team full back.

The £5 million signing of Moussa Dembele  from AZ Alkmaar was a good enough attacking investment in the absence of Zamora. With a keen eye for goal and technically gifted, Dembele brought an injection of strength into the team combining effectively with Andy Johnson . Gael Kakuta , brought on loan from Chelsea , did not really get enough game time to prove why Chelsea  made such a enthusiastic bid to sign him resulting in a two transfer window ban a few seasons ago.

Danny Murphy  firmly established the reason why he is club captain, controlling the pace of games and trying to build the offensive moves. In the end, it appeared quite fitting that he should be the Premier League  player with the most touches of the ball throughout the season.

Whoever takes over at Fulham  as manager will inherit a group of very close knit players who have throughout the past few seasons been together on a journey to the Europa League final as well as working closely with two coaches who concentrated on defensive and offensive philosophies respectively. Hughes was indeed adamant that the Cottagers are a top ten side and his nine or so months in charge proved that he was indeed correct.

Fulham must use this platform to build and bring in a coach with a more long term mindset. Signings must be made in the summer to reinforce the squad to allow for a sufficient run in the Europa League. It will be the manager's choice what priorities to take up, whether it be a higher Premier League finish or an attempt to conquer Europe.

Although there is no doubt that Hughes' resignation is unfortunate, it is definitely worth looking at it from a positive point of view. The tenure of Hodgson and Hughes has done great things for the club, and with good managers around at the moment who are out of work, Fulham chairman Mohamed Al-Fayed will take this chance to improve the club's position and try to find a successor who will go on to build on the success of the past few seasons.

Hughes may be looking ahead for better things, but then again so are Fulham.

http://thisisfutbol.com/2011/06/blogs/why-fulham-should-not-feel-too-hard-done-by-hughes-departure?

WhiteJC

Two Favourites?
Although there are all manner of reputed candidates to replace the now departed Mark Hughes, two, this morning, are receiving decent media exposure.

As was almost the case at this time of the year last year, Martin Jol`s name is appearing with alarming regularity and the Dutchman is fast becoming everybody`s favourite to take the position - much like last year (again)

However, the media are also pretty sure that the ex-Aston Villa boss, Martin O`Neill, could well be in the frame and running Jol a close second in the favourite stakes. The foundations for such a claim being based on the inference that O`Neill has finally wrapped up his problems over his sudden Villa exit and is looking to get back into management after a ten-month break.

Furthermore, one news agency, whose name escapes me at the moment, carries the inference that O`Neill has the backing of Danny Murphy but where this assumption comes from we`ve no idea.

But matters certainly do seem to be heating up!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=243736#ixzz1OZG7yA6x

WhiteJC

Going Back!
Although he played a prominent part in the march to the Europa League Final, in 2010, the season that has just finished didn`t see Zoltan Gera utilized as much as the player himself would have liked.

Now whether it was because the new manager had his own views on the player or whether it was because he didn`t suit the tactics employed by Mark Hughes is, now, neither here nor there.

It`s become apparent for quite a while now that Zoltan has decided to leave Craven Cottage for pastures new.

Well when we say pastures new, it`s more of a possible return to an old stomping ground with West Bromwich Albion now being muted as a likely destination.

Roy Hodgson, who we all know so well and who is now in charge at the Hawthorns after an ill-fated spell at Anfield, is rumoured to be leading the race to sign the player he originally signed for us back in 2008.

Is it a case of the better the devil you know?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=243737#ixzz1OZGM3JfM

WhiteJC

Tongue in Cheek?
Do I detect a hint of tongue in cheek criticism from our Swiss defender, Philippe Senderos.

Having looked the better of the two centre-backs that Switzerland fielded in Saturday, Philippe has stepped forward and poured scorn on all those who reckoned the poor performance given by England could be attributed to it having been a long and hard Premier League season.

Senderos has cheekily remarked,

"The season is long and hard for everyone. It shouldn`t be used as an excuse."

Clearly not as long for some as it has been for others though considering Philippe didn`t kick a ball in anger, courtesy of injury, until well into the latter half of the season!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=243738#ixzz1OZGX4PZV

WhiteJC

Danny's Not Right For Us. Yet.
by LORK on JUNE 6, 2011

It is pretty common knowledge that Danny Murphy wants to be a manager one day. With a vacancy at the club that he captains and has a great deal of affection for, combined with his ambition to manage and inevitable retirement in the near future it is no suprise that speculation about his future here is pretty highly debated; the Bookies have him as one of the favourites. And while this would be a sweet ending to his playing career, I can't see it happening, not now anyway.

Firstly from Fulham's point of view it would be a risk to employ a complete rookie as manager. The league now is so competitive that a few points slip up for club like us who finished comfortably mid table will mean a certain relegation battle. Rarely will a player who goes straight into management instantly pick up the subleties and demands of management to a high standard (in lower divisions it is more common to see success in this way since the more talented young managers will be able to hold their own against the less talented and experienced ones, but off the top of my head I can't even remember a player going straight from playing to management in the Premier League). It is a learning curve which induces risk, one that we can't afford to take., even with a guiding hand like Ray Lewington as his assistant. The last two 'experiments' with similarly inexperienced managers Sanchez and Coleman almost ended in disaster despite having many years coaching experience, and in Sanchez' case it was a spectacular failure. No doubt that Murphy is more suitable for top flight management than those two, at least from the characteristics he displays as player and captain, but it demonstrates how hard it is to hit the ground running. I know we had a good couple of years under Coleman but from his career path after them they seem to have been one offs. Whether it was down to good fortune or if he just ran out of ideas, I'm not sure.

Secondly, Murphy himself probably knows that it is not the time for him. While I am sure that he will have been tempted to submit an application for the job, he is sensible enough I think to recognise that he himself is not the right man for the job. He will also feel that he has at least a year, if not two, left in him to play and prove himself as a player in his mid thirties at the 'top level'. The career of a professional football is not long and he won't want to reduce it any further than he has to. Going off the Talksport article earlier, it doesn't sound like he is interested.

However there is no doubt in my or Murphy's mind that he will be a manager. I expect that as soon as he retires he will either coach with us or become assistant at a lower league club. The attributes he has, such as level-headedness, intelligence, determination and being able to motivate lend themselves well to being a good manager, and already he displays a fairly deep understanding of the game. His experiences with previous managers will no doubt rub off on him too. Dario Gradi from his time at Crewe will have, from a young age, instilled a passing philosophy even with the lesser talented players in the lower leagues. The success he had at Liverpool and time at England means he knows first hand what you need in a team, both in terms of mentality and player quality, to win trophies and accolades. Murphy's experienced the opposite side of the game with us too, having score the goal to keep us up in '08, and considering the glowing terms that he talks about Roy in it will be interesting to see how much of his management style is influenced by what he learnt under Roy; I'm sure it'll be fairly substantial.

So, give it 5 or 6 years of coaching and managerial experience and I will gladly accept Danny Murphy as Fulham manager because I'm certain that he is destined to be one of the better English managers of his generation, having had experiences that will have taught him alot and the brain to take advantage of what he knows. But, right now, we can't afford the risk, and neither can Danny.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/06/dannys-not-right-for-us-yet/?

WhiteJC

The dream team! Martin Jol set to be reunited with Chris Hughton at Fulham

Fulham want Chris Hughton to rekindle his old partnership with Martin Jol and become part of the club's new management team.

Hughton spent three years as Jol's assistant at Tottenham and the club are keen for the pair to spearhead next season's Barclays Premier League campaign.

Sportsmail understands that Fulham chief executive Alistair Mackintosh identified Jol and Hughton as the dream ticket when it became clear Mark Hughes was ready to quit. Jol was contacted, via intermediaries, to gauge his interest in replacing Hughes.

Old pals' act: Hughton (left) and Jol talk tactics in their Tottenham days

And the Dutchman is keen to take the job he was offered last summer after Roy Hodgson's departure. But he wants assurances from owner Mohamed Al Fayed over Fulham's transfer budget.

Jol will be offered a £1.5million-a-year salary plus bonuses to take over at the Craven Cottage club.

Hughes's agent, Kia Joorabachian, hinted last week that the reason for his client's departure was Fulham's failure to match his ambitions.

And Jol is seeking clarification that he will be given a competitive war-chest to strengthen the squad.

With the likes of Danny Murphy, Mark Schwarzer and Damien Duff all in the twilight of their careers, Jol is keen to breathe fresh life into the squad.

Ageing squad: Fulham have the likes of Damien Duff (left) and Danny Murphy (centre) on their books

New team: Mohamed Al Fayed will attempt to bring Jol and Hughton to Craven Cottage

Fayed is likely to give him a healthy budget in an attempt to seal his appointment.

The Egyptian businessman was ready to back Hughes to the tune of £10m to sign Espanyol striker Pablo Daniel Osvaldo this summer.

With Jol currently unattached, Fulham will not need to fork out a hefty compensation fee to prise him away from another club which will count in his favour for the transfer budget.

Hughton has been out of work since his sacking by Newcastle in December and is looking for a route back into the game.
But whether he would be open to becoming a No 2 again remains to be seen.

The former Republic of Ireland defender enjoyed great success at St James' Park, leading Newcastle back into the Premier League after their shock relegation, but was sacked by owner Mike Ashley in favour of Alan Pardew.

Former England boss Steve McClaren is expected to hold talks with Aston Villa owner Randy Lerner over the vacant manager's job after Gerard Houllier's departure last week.

Lerner will fly in from America later this week and is keen on meeting McClaren, who heads a shortlist which also includes Everton boss David Moyes and Jol.

Flying back: Steve McClaren will hold talks with Aston Villa

Meanwhile, Mark Robins is in contention for the Cardiff City manager's job.

The former Manchester United striker resigned from Championship outfit Barnsley last month after a fall-out with the Oakwell board.

But the 41-year-old is keen on a quick return and would relish the chance of guiding Cardiff into the top flight.
Robins said: 'I'm looking to get back into work and Cardiff is a job I would love.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1395000/Martin-Jol-set-reunited-Chris-Hughton-Fulham.html#ixzz1OZH7IJIT

WhiteJC

Could it be Jol and Hughton?
by DAN on JUNE 6, 2011

The Daily Mail are running pretty strongly with the Martin Jol to Fulham rumours and suggesting that the club are keen to appoint Chris Hughton as his number two, reuniting the pair from when they worked alongside each other at Tottenham.

The Mail suggests that Fulham chief executive Alistair Mackintosh moved for Jol once it became clear that Mark Hughes was on his way out of Craven Cottage. As many Fulham fans had predicted, Jol's major concern about replacing Hughes centres around the kind of transfer budget that Mohammed Al Fayed would make available. The Mail puts Jol's salary at around £1.5m, excluding bonuses.

Greater doubt surrounds the possible appointment of Hughton. The former Newcastle manager was quoted only this week as saying he had saved his apprenticeship as a coach and was looking to get back into management. Following his surprising sacking by Newcastle earlier this season, Hughton would probably prefer to rebuild his career with another managerial job rather than confining himself to a backroom role.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/06/could-it-be-jol-and-hughton/?

WhiteJC

Some Sparks in Dubai
by DAN on JUNE 7, 2011

Courtesy of former Sky Sports reporter Rob McCaffrey:

I had my strangest Dubai meeting in the four years I've been here as I floated lazily on my rubber ring at the Atlantis rapids recently.

Suddenly someone banged into me and shouted across, "Rob, are you still here?"

"Sparky. How are you?"

Former Fulham boss Mark Hughes was relaxing with his family.

"Villa or Chelsea?" I stammered.

"Don't know what's happening!"

With that he went left, and I went right. It wasn't quite Obama meets Putin, but it was still good to see him.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/06/some-sparks-in-dubai/?

WhiteJC

Fulham ace could follow Hughes out the door

Clint Dempsey has rocked Fulham by revealing he would leave Craven Cottage for a Champions League team.

The 28-year-old USA midfielder will follow the example of notice-working Cottagers Mark Hughes and walk out - if a big club comes calling.

"Ideally I would like to finish my career in Europe, but maybe my mentality changes when I'm older," said Dempsey.

"Right now, I'm thinking about Europe and playing in Champions League - at least experiencing that in my career, being in Champions League.

"That's a goal. That's every player's goal. Every player wants to win trophies and play at the highest level possible."

Dempsey has spent four years at Fulham since arriving from New England Revolution and has been on AC Milan's radar.

He admits an opportunity to play in Europe's top club competition would be too good to turn down.

"If someday I get the opportunity to play for a big club in the Champions League, that would be great," Dempsey added. "I'd be lying if I said that wasn't a dream.

"But at the same time you have to make the most of where you are."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-transfer-news-Clint-Dempsey-hints-at-quitting-admits-Champions-League-football-is-goal-article744945.html#ixzz1OZJ1Hehj

WhiteJC

Now Mark Hughes IS a possibility for Villa

Randy Lerner is due back in England this week to step up Aston Villa's managerial search - and sell star man Ashley Young.

Villa are drawing up a short-list to replace Gerard Houllier, who was forced to step down last week on medical grounds.

Lerner is assessing the credentials of contenders such as Steve McClaren, Martin Jol, Roberto Martinez and Frank Rijkaard.

Mark Hughes is also a possibility after his resignation from Fulham last week. Villa said at the time that Hughes was NOT under consideration.

Former Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti is out of the picture, as he plans to take a season-long sabbatical before he coaches again.

US tycoon Lerner's other priority is cashing in on Young.

The England winger, 25, is expected to complete a £16million transfer to Manchester United later this month.

Villa are being forced to sell as Young has just 12 months left on the contract he signed on his arrival from Watford in January 2007.

However, they will battle to keep Liverpool-target England winger Stewart Downing, 26, who has two years to go on his contract.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Aston-Villa-news-Mark-Hughes-now-is-possibility-for-managerial-vacancy-Ashley-Young-set-for-16m-Manchester-United-move-later-this-month-article744970.html#ixzz1OZJPlmO3

WhiteJC

West Brom: I had happy times at The Hawthorns - Zolton Gera

EX-HAWTHORNS hero and current target Zoltan Gera has spoken of his fondness and 'love' for West Brom.

The 32-year-old will soon be out of contract and is among Albion's summer targets.

The Baggies hope to conclude a deal for Gera in the coming days, although there is interest from elsewhere, including clubs overseas.

Gera did not wish to comment on his future due to the current status of his negotiations with various parties.

But he is keen to stay in England as his family is settled.

And the Hungarian made it very clear that his heart remained at The Hawthorns following his four year spell and 155 games for the club - giving the biggest hint that Albion was his favoured choice.

Speaking to the Birmingham Mail, Gera said: "I don't want to talk about my future as yet as there is a lot to sort out - so there is nothing more I can say about that at the moment.

"But it would be correct to say I enjoyed my time at West Brom.

"I was there for four years and I was very happy there.

"They gave me my chance in English football and I still love the club because I had some very good times and good memories.

"We had good times while I was there, some big moments in my career.

"I remember returning to West Brom for Fulham and both times I had a wonderful ovation from the fans - you don't forget things like that.

"It stays with you. Those were happy times."

Gera is currently nursing an ankle injury sustained in his last game for Fulham, which was against Arsenal on the final day of the season.

He was actually sent-off during that game and will serve a three match ban at the start of next season, regardless of where he ends up moving to.

Read More http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/west-bromwich-albion-fc-news/2011/06/07/west-brom-i-had-happy-times-at-the-hawthorns-zolton-gera-97319-28833345/?#ixzz1OZd2EPAz

WhiteJC

Gera coy over Baggies return

Zoltan Gera remains tight-lipped over whether he will be returning to West Brom - but admits he still loves the club where he spent four years before moving to Fulham.

The 32-year-old midfielder will be a free agent when his contract at Craven Cottage expires at the end of the month. But it is understood he has already held initial talks with the Baggies about a possible return.

The Hungary international said: "I don't want to talk about my future as yet as there is a lot to sort out. There is nothing more I can say about that at the moment."

He added: "But it is correct to say I enjoyed my time at West Brom. They gave me my chance in English football.

"I still love the club and, the two times I've gone back with Fulham, I had a wonderful reception from the fans. You don't forget things like that."

Albion sources remain optimistic Gera will eventually put pen to paper.

He initially signed for the midlands club in a £1.5million deal from Ferencvaros in 2004.

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/sport/gera-coy-over-baggies-return-2667654.html?

WhiteJC

Maarten Jol Appointed Manager

Fulham Football Club is delighted to announce the appointment of Maarten Jol as its new manager.

Maarten joins Fulham on an initial two year contract with the Club having an option to extend for a further year. He will arrive at our Motspur Park training ground in advance of the players return to training later this month.

Last night Maarten Jol said: 'I am very happy to join Fulham Football Club, a wonderful traditional club. It is a club with good, solid foundations and a great fan base. I am looking forward to being part of the Fulham family and thank the Chairman for the trust he's shown in me.'

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/June/ManagerConfirmed.aspx#ixzz1OZgn7siM

WhiteJC

Jol takes Fulham job

Former Tottenham chief handed two-year deal

Fulham have confirmed the appointment of Martin Jol as their new manager.

The Cottagers brokered terms on Monday evening and they have now announced that Jol will succeed Mark Hughes - who left Craven Cottage last week.

Jol was linked with the role last year when Hughes was appointed, but he stayed with Ajax - who he subsequently left later in the season.

Delight

The former Tottenham boss has now agreed a return to English football and he is delighted to be back.

"I am very happy to join Fulham Football Club, a wonderful traditional club," he said.

"It is a club with good, solid foundations and a great fan base. I am looking forward to being part of the Fulham family and thank the Chairman for the trust he's shown in me."

Reports suggest that Jol will look to bring in former Newcastle boss Chris Hughton, who was strongly linked with Cardiff, as his number two after the two worked together at Spurs.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6969073,00.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham appoint Martin Jol as manager
• Former Spurs boss succeeds Mark Hughes at Craven Cottage
• Dutchman agrees two-year contract as new boss

Fulham have confirmed the appointment of Martin Jol as their new manager on a two-year contract. The Dutchman succeeds Mark Hughes, who resigned, and returns for his second spell in the Premier League, following his time with Tottenham Hotspur.

"I am very happy to join Fulham, a wonderful traditional club," Jol said. "It is a club with good, solid foundations and a great fanbase. I am looking forward to being part of the Fulham family and thank the chairman for the trust he's shown in me."

A club statement added that Jol's contract has "an option to extend for a further year".

More details to follow ...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jun/07/fulham-appoint-martin-jol-manager?

WhiteJC

Fulham appoint Martin Jol as new manager

Fulham have appointed Martin Jol as their new manager following the resignation of Mark Hughes last week.

The former Tottenham and Ajax boss joins the Premier League club on an initial two-year contract, with the option to extend it for a further year.

Jol said: "I am very happy to join Fulham. It is a club with good, solid foundations and a great fan base.

"I am looking forward to being part of the Fulham family and thank the chairman for the trust shown in me."

Hughes left his role at Craven Cottage on 2 June after less than a year in charge.

The former Wales manager had joined Fulham in July 2010 and had been in talks about a new contract prior to his resignation.

Jol moved to Spurs in 2004 as assistant to Jacques Santini but took over as head coach in November 2004 after Santini stood down.

But despite finishing fifth in the Premier League in two consecutive seasons, he parted company with the White Hart Lane outfit in October 2007.

In May 2008 he was appointed coach of Hamburg but left a year later to join Ajax.

Last summer he was linked with Fulham after the departure of Roy Hodgson to Liverpool but opted to remain with Ajax.

He has been out of work since quitting the Dutch club last December.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13678517.stm?

WhiteJC

Jol lands Fulham job

Martin Jol has been confirmed as Fulham's new manager.

The 55-year-old former Tottenham boss has agreed an initial two-year contract at Craven Cottage with the option of a further 12 months.

The Dutchman replaces Mark Hughes, who resigned as Fulham manager last Thursday after one season at the helm.

Jol, who was sacked by Spurs in 2007, was linked with the Fulham role last year but Ajax refused to release him from his post as head coach at the Amsterdam ArenA.

He has been out of work since quitting the Dutch club last December and has now spoken of his excitement at returning to the Barclays Premier League.

"I am very happy to join Fulham Football Club, a wonderful traditional club," he told www.fulhamfc.com.

"It is a club with good, solid foundations and a great fan base.

"I am looking forward to being part of the Fulham family and thank the chairman for the trust he's shown in me."

Jol will have little time to get his feet under the table, with the Fulham players due to report back for pre-season training on June 23 and facing a Europa League qualifier in less than four weeks' time.

A club statement confirmed: "Martin joins Fulham on an initial two-year contract with the club having an option to extend for a further year. He will arrive at our Motspur Park training ground in advance of the players return to training later this month."

Press Association

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/sport/jol-lands-fulham-job-2667682.html?

WhiteJC

Danny Murphy Stakes Claim For Fulham Job But Inexperience Counts Against Him

For the second time in as many years, Fulham find themselves without a manager after Mark Hughes quit the club in bizarre circumstances. Among the names being linked with the vacant position are Martin O'Neill and Martin Jol, yet there is also a potential candidate from within the club.

According to The Daily Mail, the club's captain, Danny Murphy, has thrown his name into the hat to be considered for the vacant post. At 34-years-old, the midfielder is coming to the end of his playing career and has made no secret of his desire to go into coaching, so should Fulham consider his application seriously?

It seems as though opinion is split. Murphy has plenty of experience playing in the top flight and must have sat through hundreds of team-talks from a host of managers. He knows what it takes to win games, plus having been in the game himself, he would be confident on the training pitch.

Then there is his pedigree. While Murphy has been wearing the captain's armband, Fulham have enjoyed their most successful period during their history. Top seven, 12 and eight finishes, plus the Europa League Final mark a considerable achievement for which Murphy deserves more credit than he is probably actually given.

There is also the hope the transition for captain to manager would be smooth for the club. After all, you would assume Murphy knows the players' strengths and weaknesses and about what tactics work best.

Finally, the other thing in Murphy's favour is that Fulham have been bold with their decision making in the past. Many Fulham fans questioned the decision to appoint Chris Coleman as manager in 2003, yet he proved a good choice and kept the club in the Premier League against the odds.

Yet there is also the argument that goes against Murphy. While he might be committed in his displays for Fulham, it's hard to judge whether he has the right temperament to make a good manager. Furthermore, while he does have the playing experience, he has no coaching or managerial experience.

But perhaps the biggest factor that could prevent him from landing the job would be the calibre of the other candidates that have been mentioned - O'Neill and Jol.

Fulham fans seem to be calling for one of the two to be installed as the new manager, which could mean Murphy's application, no matter how good, gets overlooked.

http://www.fanhouse.co.uk/2011/06/07/danny-murphy-stakes-claim-for-fulham-job-but-inexperience-counts/?

WhiteJC

Fulham linked with Milito
by DAN on JUNE 7, 2011

Today's El Mundo Deportivo links Fulham with a move for Barcelona defender Gabriel Milito, although the Argentine would apparently prefer to leave the Camp Nou for a Spanish side.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/06/fulham-linked-with-milito/?