more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (07/06/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, June 07, 2011, 07:05:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Exclusive - Cascarino: Hughes' CV not strong enough for Chelsea

Mark Hughes doesn't have a strong enough managerial CV to take over the Chelsea top job, according to former Blue Tony Cascarino.

The former Fulham boss has been linked with the vacant position at Stamford Bridge after Carlo Ancelotti was sacked on the final day of the season.

Cascarino though is unsure whether the Pensioners will look to the 47-year-old to lead the club into the future.

Speaking to the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast show, 'Cass' claimed that whilst it might not be Chelsea, Hughes will have lined himself up another job after leaving Craven Cottage.

He said: "I'd be very surprised if he hasn't organised somewhere else to go.

"Mark's saying that he's achieved everything he can at Fulham. They lost key players at keys times, he did so well.

"He'll have somewhere to go but I don't think it'll be Chelsea.

"I think Chelsea will go for a far more established manager with a big CV and Mark's done very well at Blackburn, Manchester City and Fulham but that won't be enough to get him the Chelsea job."

When asked whether Hughes could work under a Director of Football in Dutchman Guus Hiddink, Cascarino went on to say: "No I don't think so.

"I think Mark Hughes has done brilliantly well in management but I just don't think it'll happen as the CV just isn't strong enough."

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/8114/6/exclusive-cascarino-hughes-cv-not-strong-enough-chelsea?

WhiteJC

Jol reveals Cottage move delight

Martin Jol is delighted at being appointed Fulham's new manager on a two-year deal with the option of a third year.

The Cottagers have moved quickly to replace Mark Hughes following his departure last Thursday to bring in the man they initially wanted at Craven Cottage 12 months ago when Roy Hodgson departed for Liverpool.

On that occasion his then club Ajax blocked the move and owner Mohamed Al Fayed opted to take Hughes. But Jol has since departed the Amsterdam Arena and is now free to take up the reins at Fulham.

He will arrive at the Motspur Park training ground in advance of the players returning to training later this month.

Jol said on the club's official website: "I am very happy to join Fulham Football Club, a wonderful traditional club. It is a club with good, solid foundations and a great fan base.

"I am looking forward to being part of the Fulham family and thank the Chairman for the trust he's shown in me."

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/54016/Jol_reveals_Cottage_move_delight.aspx?

WhiteJC

Some Unfinished Business for Martin Jol as Dutchman Takes Over at Fulham

Martin Jol has completed his return to the Premier League after being named as the new manager of Fulham - and he will arrive with some unfinished business after his time at Tottenham.

Jol has been swiftly appointed as the successor to Mark Hughes and signed a two-year contract at Craven Cottage, ending a four-year exile from the English game.

The 55-year-old has been out of work since leaving Ajax late last year but Fulham chairman Mohamed Al-Fayed has moved quickly to bring him back to London.

Fulham have moved quickly to head off potential interest from Premier League rivals Aston Villa for the Tottenham manager, and his appointment represents a significant coup for the Cottagers.

He said: "I am very happy to join Fulham Football Club, a wonderful traditional club. It is a club with good, solid foundations and a great fan base.

"I am looking forward to being part of the Fulham family and thank the chairman for the trust he's shown in me."

Jol's arrival is a no-brainer for Fulham, especially with his experience of this division and vast scouting network across Europe.

It is also a welcome boost for the much maligned Al-Fayed, who deserves credit for acting so fast and with the minimum of fuss. It might even earn him some respite from the club's supporters after the furore created by the Michael Jackson statue.

But Jol will have a point to prove after his acrimonious departure from Spurs and has already admitted he has unfinished business in the land of cash and controversy.

After Hughes led Fulham to a creditable eighth place this season, Jol will have his work cut out trying to better that although he also has a Europa League campaign to prepare for.

The Dutchman will have to hit the ground running, with the players set to return to training later this month. He will surely be assured of transfer funds for the summer but his first task will be securing the futures of Clint Dempsey and Bobby Zamora for another year, after both players were linked with moves elsewhere.

His reputation as a magpie manager continues to dog him but he now has the chance to lay down some foundations at a well-run progressive club.

His return to White Hart Lane will be ringmarked on his calendar, for sure.

http://www.fanhouse.co.uk/2011/06/07/some-unfinished-business-for-martin-jol-as-dutchman-takes-over-a/?

WhiteJC

Fulham beat Villa in race to sign Jol as new manager
Aston Villa now seem to have missed out on Carlo Ancelotti and Martin Jol in their search for a new boss

Fulham have been quick to name their successor to Mark Hughes after signing former Tottenham manager Martin Jol to an initial two-year contract.

Jol was always at the forefront of any Fulham shortlist and was trading at 1/4 moments before his appointment was confirmed.

Jol has long been keen to return to the Premier League following his prior successful stint at Tottenham, while his most recent job was at Ajax for much of last season.

He said: "I am very happy to join Fulham Football Club, a wonderful traditional club. It is a club with good, solid foundations and a great fan base.

"I am looking forward to being part of the Fulham family and thank the chairman for the trust he's shown in me."

The club have also stipulated in the contract they have the option of signing Jol to a further year at the end of his two-year stint.

Meanwhile, it is rumoured that Fulham are keen to bring in Chris Hughton to work alongside Jol, with the pair having developed a good partnership previously at Tottenham.

The appointment of Jol may not be seen as good news by some Aston Villa supporters as a few of their leading targets to replace Gerard Houllier are ruling themselves out of the job.

Jol was one of the names towards the top of their shortlist, while Carlo Ancelotti has announced that he is taking a year out of management.

Former Fulham boss Hughes is one name still linked with the Villa hotseat, although the club have announced that he is not on their radar.

Despite this, Hughes remains 2/1 to be the next Aston Villa manager, which is the same price as former England boss Steve McClaren.

The big recent mover in this market has been Owen Coyle, who has been backed in from 25/1 over the weekend to his current price of 7/2.

http://news.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/football/premier-league/fulham-beat-villa-in-race-to-sign-jol-as-new-manager_064876.html

WhiteJC

Martin Jol tasked with keeping Fulham stars after being named new manager
Fulham have appointed Martin Jol as new manager following the surprise departure of Mark Hughes.

The former Tottenham and Ajax boss joins the Cottagers on an initial two-year contract, with the option to extend it for a further year.

Jol said: 'I am very happy to join Fulham. It is a club with good, solid foundations and a great fan base.

'I am looking forward to being part of the Fulham family and thank the chairman for the trust shown in me.'

The Dutchman will start work at Fulham's Motspur Park training ground later this month, and will be looking to build on Hughes impressive eight place finish in the Premier League last season.

Jol's first task thought will be to make sure he hangs on to stars such as Brede Hangaland, Bobby Zamora, and Clint Dempsey, who have all been attracting interest from clubs in England and abroad over the last year.

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/865531-martin-jol-tasked-with-keeping-fulham-stars-after-being-named-new-manager#ixzz1Oa1cgPqT

WhiteJC

The road to Jol: how we got here, what it means
Filed under: General — rich
Putting the snippets together into a small home-made blanket:

It appears that Mark Hughes very nearly didn't survive 2010. After the West Ham defeat he was in big trouble, but senior players persuaded MAF to put his axe away. This was partly because they understood how important Bobby Zamora was to the team, and partly because of a general belief in what they were doing under the new manager. However, there may also have team meeting around that time in which the players asked to revert more to their old style of playing.

They then beat Stoke 2-0 – the narrative here would be that they were determined to make a point, but in the cold light of day that away game was like many others, except Chris Baird scored two screamers. Whatever, Fulham started to play much better – in part because of an easier run of fixtures – and the pressure was off.

Nevertheless, wheels had been put in motion, and about this time Alastair Mackintosh may have been in touch with Jol about replacing Hughes (Jol was out of work as of early December). (Clearly this goes against the prevailing thought that Jol had messed Fulham around in the summer, and that he really had been blocked by a determined Ajax board.)

So there we were, Jol teed up but then not required, as form improved.

Meanwhile, could our friends up the road have had a whisper in Mark Hughes' ear? The season ends, Hughes resigns, and for reasons outlined above, Mackintosh is able to act fast and get the man he wanted all along.

Is he the right man?  Time will tell.

Raphael Honigstein of the Guardian has been quick to p**** our balloon. From Twitter today:

"I always thought Jol was a good manager. Then I talked to some Hamburg players/agents..."

"Ask anyone at Ajax! He was terrible there."

A retweet: "Check only his last season with Ajax. 3rd place, terrible football with Suarez in squad and fired."

Q: "You're judging a manager on his reputation with agents?"
A: "No, on his actual work, in training."

Q: "he's still a good coach. Didn't work out at Ajax. Did a great job at Spurs and there after at Hamburg. Has eye for good players."
A: "That's the perception. Reality somewhat different, sadly."

"there's a wider point here. because there is little to no transparency at PL clubs, UK media have little idea what managers do or don't do.."

"... that's why opinions are formed on the basis of pressers and interviews."

All of which overlooks a decent managerial career in which he won 45% of his games at Spurs (acceptable), 60% at Hamburg and 65% at Ajax. All of those are well into the "competent" level of management (Spurs) and depending on what was expected of him, well beyond that since.

We'll just have to see, won't we?  It's nice to have a charismatic manager who will reassure some of the better players that we still mean business. It's less nice that they'll all have to prove themselves again, find a new style, etc, etc, but such is football.  Under the circumstances I believe we ought to be happy with how things have turned out. Welcome, Martin Jol!

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/06/07/the-road-to-jol-how-we-got-here-what-it-means/?

Mr Fulham

Quote from: WhiteJC on June 07, 2011, 07:18:45 AM

Fulham ace could follow Hughes out the door

Clint Dempsey has rocked Fulham by revealing he would leave Craven Cottage for a Champions League team.

The 28-year-old USA midfielder will follow the example of notice-working Cottagers Mark Hughes and walk out - if a big club comes calling.

"Ideally I would like to finish my career in Europe, but maybe my mentality changes when I'm older," said Dempsey.

"Right now, I'm thinking about Europe and playing in Champions League - at least experiencing that in my career, being in Champions League.

"That's a goal. That's every player's goal. Every player wants to win trophies and play at the highest level possible."

Dempsey has spent four years at Fulham since arriving from New England Revolution and has been on AC Milan's radar.

He admits an opportunity to play in Europe's top club competition would be too good to turn down.

"If someday I get the opportunity to play for a big club in the Champions League, that would be great," Dempsey added. "I'd be lying if I said that wasn't a dream.

"But at the same time you have to make the most of where you are."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-transfer-news-Clint-Dempsey-hints-at-quitting-admits-Champions-League-football-is-goal-article744945.html#ixzz1OZJ1Hehj

What a load of sh*te.

WhiteJC

Gale approves of Jol
The perfect man and perfect time for Fulham says Gale

Tony Gale told Sky Sports News that new manager Martin Jol could lead Fulham to a top-six finish.

The Cottagers brokered terms on Monday evening and they have now announced that Jol has signed a two-year deal.

Jol was linked with the role last year when Mark Hughes was appointed, but he stayed with Ajax - who he subsequently left later in the season.

However, the former Tottenham boss has now agreed a return to English football and Gale believes it is a great choice.

"I think it is a good appointment and it has been done quickly which is the most important thing," said Tony Gale on Sky Sports News.

"Now Fulham can really prepare and get a good pre-season under them and get going. If they had delayed for another month or so then everything would have got out of sync and Fulham might not have got off to the start that everyone is anticipating they can do after the way they finished the last season."

Gale has been disappointed with managers in the past who have used Fulham as a stepping stone.

He believes that Jol will be different and says that any manager should be honoured to join a club like Fulham.

"I don't think these managers should be feeling that Fulham are the luck people. Anyone who gets put in charge of Fulham has had the good fortune to be put in charge of a really good club.

"I hope Martin is different because he has been given an opportunity at a really good football club where everything is in place - certainly behind the scenes.

"It is a perfect football club, I think the Chief Executive Alistair Mackintosh, and the chairman, Mohamed Al Fayed, would have been at pains to stress exactly how the club is and that they want him for a few years," added Gale.

"Fulham need a little bit of stability now, if Martin Jol can stay on for three or four years then Fulham can kick on and I feel they can get close to those European places.

"A lot depends on keeping their better players fit. Last season they did not get off to a good start when Bobby Zamora and all their strikers were injured during certain stages of the season. If they add a couple of players to the squad then I think they could be an outside bet to finish in the top six."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6969196,00.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham defender eyes progress under Jol

PHILIPPE Senderos hopes the arrival of Martin Jol will herald a period of stability at the club – saying it is the only way the club will make any real progress.

The Fulham defender admitted he was in shock when the club sent out a circular to the players to tell them of Mark Hughes' departure last week, but got his wish when he said 'I can only hope things get sorted out as soon as possible.'

Jol has been appointed less than a week after the mangerial post was vacated at Craven Cottage.

Senderos told the Chronicle: "It's not really for me to say what type of coach would suit the club best, that's a job for the chairman, who will know better than me, but I think what we need more than anything is continuity now.

"We need someone who will stay for a few seasons and we need to avoid chopping and changing if we are going to build something and progress."

Senderos added: "I don't think any of us had any idea what was about to happen [regarding Hughes] until we received a message from the club just before it was made public.

"I think it's a shame he has left us because I feel he had started to build something special at the club and we had started to adapt to his way of thinking on the field.

"I can only hope that we can adapt equally well and quickly to the new boss."

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/fulham-fc-ealing/2011/06/07/fulham-defender-eyes-progress-under-jol-64767-28834810/?

WhiteJC

Danny Murphy's Fulham future in the balance?

ONE person who will be anxious about their future is Danny Murphy following Fulham's appointment of Martin Jol.

The Whites skipper was signed by Jol for Spurs in a £2million move from Charlton Athletic in 2006.

However, he made just 13 starts in his 18-month stay at White Hart Lane before his switch to Craven Cottage.

Roy Hodgson helped revive the midfielder's career and he was rewarded with a one-year contract extension by Mark Hughes before he quit the club last week.

And the 34-year-old will want assurances from Jol that he features in his plans in SW6 when they return for pre-season training later this month.

Another player sweating will be Simon Davies, who was also shown the exit door by Jol at Spurs.

He lasted less than a season under the Dutchman before he was shipped out to Everton.

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/06/07/danny-murphy-s-fulham-future-in-the-balance-82029-28834884/?#ixzz1OaNLmMDh

WhiteJC

Chairman's Welcome

Fullham Chairman Mohamed Al Fayed welcomed Martin Jol to the Club on Tuesday morning and spoke of his belief that Jol would lead Fulham to further success on the field over the coming seasons.

"I would like to welcome Martin Jol to Fulham," Mr Al Fayed told fulhamfc.com. "He understands my vision for the Club, and believes in what we are striving to achieve here.

"I know that he will dedicate himself to helping us move forward, and is with us for the long term, to help us build and progress.

"We have enjoyed three incredibly successful years, and my hopes and dreams for this club are for that journey to continue.

"I know that with his wealth of experience and success, Martin is the right man to help us do this.'

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/June/ChairmanWelcome.aspx?#ixzz1OaNabWtH

WhiteJC

Fulham appoint Martin Jol as their new manager
Fulham have appointed former Tottenham manager Martin Jol as their new manager, following the departure of Mark Hughes.

Fulham announced on their website that Jol had signed a two-year deal with the club, with the option of extending his contract for a further season.

The Dutchman, 55, arrives at Craven Cottage after 18 months with Ajax, where he resigned in Dec 2010.

Jol spent three seasons with Tottenham, who he guided to fifth place and the brink of Champions League qualification two years in a row.

Fulham chairman Mohamed Al-Fayed has moved quickly to replace Hughes, who walked out of the club last week after a year in charge.

"I am very happy to join Fulham Football Club, a wonderful traditional club," Jol said. "It is a club with good, solid foundations and a great fan base.

Jol, who was sacked by Spurs in 2007, was linked with the Fulham role last year but Ajax refused to release him from his post as head coach at the Amsterdam ArenA.

Hughes stepped down from his role last week after guiding the club to an eighth-place finish in the Premier League and earning them a return to Europe via the Fair Play League.

He also built on a reputation initially forged at Blackburn and then Manchester City, where many felt he was unlucky to lose his job, but departed insisting he had had no contact with any other club.

The Welshman's decision left the Cottagers searching for a new manager for the second consecutive summer, after losing Roy Hodgson to Liverpool last year.

Jol will have little time to get his feet under the table, with the Fulham players due to report back for pre-season training on June 23 and facing a Europa League qualifier in less than four weeks' time.

A club statement confirmed: "Martin joins Fulham on an initial two-year contract with the club having an option to extend for a further year.

"He will arrive at our Motspur Park training ground in advance of the players return to training later this month."

Jol moved to Spurs in summer 2004, initially as an assistant to Jacques Santini, after having started his coaching career with stints at Roda JC and RKC Waalwijk in his homeland.

The Dutchman was handed the top job at White Hart Lane when the Frenchman left the following November and won many admirers for the attractive football played under him.

Following his dismissal in Oct 2007 - he was unceremoniously dumped following the Uefa Cup defeat to Getafe - he spent the 2008/09 campaign at Hamburg before succeeding Marco van Basten as Ajax coach in May 2009.

He helped the Amsterdammers to KNVB Beker glory in 2010 before stepping down last December with the club in fourth place in the Eredivisie standings in what turned out to be a title-winning campaign.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/8560922/Fulham-appoint-Martin-Jol-as-their-new-manager.html

WhiteJC

How Fulham Has Become the Perfect Stepping Stone for Ambitious Managers

Three men in charge over the last year at Craven Cottage has confirmed Fulham as the shop window for managers to showcase their talent. Next up is Martin Jol.

Mohamed Al Fayed, the club's owner, built a lasting tribute to Michael Jackson last season with his statue in honour of the King Of Pop, yet the bosses he has appointed recently have been more short-term.

The right men are arriving as Fulham have reached the Europa League final just over a year ago, then qualified for the competition again through the Fair Play table after comfortably surviving in the Premier League.

But it has led to Roy Hodgson leaving for Liverpool and Mark Hughes assessing his options after handing in his notice.

In one year from now, there is plenty in Jol's favour to suggest he will be attracting bigger clubs in the same manner of Hodgson and Hughes.

But former Fulham midfielder Alan Mullery told Sky Sports News: "He's been good everywhere he's been and everyone at Fulham will do their best to make Martin stay, from the chairman to the tea ladies."

Everything is set up for the Dutchman. He is joining an outfit that has been running smoothly and does not need a radical overhaul. This is a club that has scouted talent such as Chris Smalling recently and the current first-team is in good form.

Added to that, Jol has impressive pedigree, pointing towards an exciting season coming up.

Earlier in his career Jol was reported to be earmarked as an assistant to Sir Alex Ferguson before eventually joining Spurs and taking the reigns in 2004.

In his only two full seasons at White Hart Lane he secured fifth-placed finishes and got the club into Europe.

Hamburg and Ajax followed before Fulham were linked with him prior to appointing Hughes but he stayed in the Netherlands until December last year when he resigned.

Following his appointment at Fulham there is also the added incentive of proving Spurs were wrong to court Juande Ramos behind his back before his departure.

Former Fulham defender Tony Gale, however, believes Jol, rather than the club, is the lucky one.

Gale told Sky Sports News: "He's been given an opportunity at a really good football club where everything is in place behind the scenes. It's a perfect fit, so let's hope he can stay there for three or four years and kick on, because they are certainly close to the European places.

"Maybe he was first-choice last time around but they couldn't get around the situation with Ajax. I think he has been desperate to get on the scene since leaving Ajax and having a break.

"He's a lucky man to be at a club like that. I don't think these managers should be feeling Fulham are the lucky people."

Jol has little time to waste as Europa League qualifiers start at the end of the month. Whether he wants to stay at Fulham for many years or not, he will soon be in the shop window again like Hodgson and Hughes.

http://www.fanhouse.co.uk/2011/06/07/how-fulham-has-become-the-perfect-stepping-stone-for-ambitious-m/?

WhiteJC

So far even better than last year
by LYDIA on JUNE 7, 2011

If you will all remember correctly, it was a long wait last year before a manager finally signed a contract at Fulham. It wasn't long before the start of the season and therefore giving Hughes limited time in the transfer market. This was one thing that I was worried about for this year, whether or not the deal would be done quickly especially considering the boys will be back to training in little over 2 weeks! But this year, Al Fayed is clearly shown his intent for this season. Sparky's words have obviously sunk in with him and he has made swift action to get his man. This is the first reason why I think this years appointment is better than last years appointment. So that's 1-0 to Jol and the 2011-12 season already!

The second reason why so far we are a step ahead of last year is that, again I'm sure you all remember, Jol was Al Fayed's first choice last year as well. Unfortunately that dragged out for weeks and ended in absolutely nothing. I was in France on holiday at the time and the papers had actually convinced me by saying that the deal was done and had moved on the transfer targets (although I suppose the fact that they claimed we were keen on bringing in Zlatan Ibrahimovic should have been my first clue of classic paper talk!). So this year again the club has bettered themselves as they have the man who they wanted in the first place this time last year. I make that 2-0 now!

Thirdly, although Sparky was quite decent at picking out  a gem (Dembele), he just won't have had the experience that Jol has had in the transfer market. Also, Jol has managed in Germany and Holland quite recently so he will probably already have an idea of some transfer-budget-suitable players on his mind. He has the experience that Sparky lacked, purely down to age and travel. But still, thats 3-0 now.

We will just have to wait and see if Jol can add to that score line but he will have plently of chances to due to the length of time he has in the transfer market, the Europa League, FA cup, Carling Cup and, most importantly- the Premier League! So here's to a quality season, with a quality man at the helm!

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/06/so-far-even-better-than-last-year/?

WhiteJC

Jol shares my vision, says Mohamed Al Fayed

Fulham chairman Mohamed Al Fayed insists Martin Jol is at Craven Cottage for the long term.

The 55-year-old former Tottenham boss has agreed an initial two-year contract at Craven Cottage with the option of a further 12 months.

The Dutchman replaces Mark Hughes, who resigned as Fulham manager last Thursday after one season at the helm having been appointed successor to Roy Hodgson, who left for a brief spell as Liverpool boss having taken the west London club to the Europa League final.

Now with a third head coach in as many seasons, Fulham supremo Al Fayed is confident Jol will bring some stability to the Cottage.

"I would like to welcome Martin Jol to Fulham. He understands my vision for the club, and believes in what we are striving to achieve here," Al Fayed said on the club's official website, http://www.fulhamfc.com.

"I know that he will dedicate himself to helping us move forward, and is with us for the long term, to help us build and progress.

"We have enjoyed three incredibly successful years, and my hopes and dreams for this club are for that journey to continue.

"I know that with his wealth of experience and success, Martin is the right man to help us do this."

Jol - sacked by Spurs in 2007 - was linked with the Fulham role last year after Hodgson's departure, but Ajax refused to release him from his post as head coach at the Amsterdam ArenA.

He has been out of work since quitting the Dutch club last December and is excited at the prospect of returning to the Barclays Premier League.

"I am very happy to join Fulham, a wonderful traditional club," Jol said.

"It is a club with good, solid foundations and a great fan base.

Hughes stepped down from his role last week after guiding the club to an eighth-place finish in the Premier League and earning them a return to Europe via the Fair Play League.

The Welshman also built on a reputation initially forged at Blackburn and then Manchester City, where many felt he was unlucky to lose his job, but departed insisting he had received no contact with any other club, despite being heavily linked with Aston Villa.

Jol will, though, have little time to get his feet under the table, with the Fulham players due to report back for pre-season training on June 23 and facing a Europa League qualifier in less than four weeks' time.

A club statement confirmed: "Martin joins Fulham on an initial two-year contract with the club having an option to extend for a further year.

"He will arrive at our Motspur Park training ground in advance of the players' return to training later this month."

Former West Brom and Coventry midfielder Jol moved to Spurs in summer 2004, initially as an assistant to Jacques Santini, after having started his coaching career with stints at Roda JC and RKC Waalwijk in his homeland.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/jol-shares-my-vision-says-mohamed-al-fayed-2294059.html?

WhiteJC

Martin Jol Appointment As Fulham Manager Adds Character to Premier League

Fulham announced this morning that Martin Jol has been appointed manager on a two-year deal. The prospect of seeing the always engaging Dutchman back in the Premier League is definitely something I'm looking forward to this upcoming season. During his time as manager of Tottenham, his team's performances were always entertaining to watch. His attacking philosophy and focus on youth talent will therefore make Fulham next season even more exciting to watch.

With Jol moving to Craven Cottage and, if you believe the media reports, Steve McClaren hotly favored to be the next manager of Aston Villa, the 2011-12 Premier League season could be the "year of the manager." If Guus Hiddink joins Chelsea, next season promises to be one where you'll have 20 intriguing characters.

Consider for a second that you'll have, in addition to Martin Jol and possibly Steve McClaren and Guus Hiddink, the likes of Neil Warnock, David Moyes, Roy Hodgson, Kenny Dalglish, Roberto Mancini, Arsene Wenger, Owen Coyle, Sir Alex Ferguson, Paul Lambert, Steve Kean, Alan Pardew, Brendan Rogers, Steve Bruce, Harry Redknapp, Mick McCarthy, Tony Pulis and Roberto Martinez. Each of these men are complete characters. Skilled as football managers, yes, they also bring a dynamism to the league that makes it even more entertaining instead of other leagues where the managers seem to be practically invisible.

Between now and when the new season kicks off in early August, I wouldn't be surprised if we see managerial changes at Sunderland and Blackburn. Both Steve Bruce and Steve Kean underperformed in 2010-11. And I believe that Sunderland and Blackburn both deserve managers with a better pedigree who can push these clubs on to greater glory instead of near relegation. With the Premier League still being the most popular league in the world, there will undoubtedly be some experienced foreign managers who would love the opportunity to enter Premier League management via Sunderland or Blackburn and build on the foundation that has already been built. With both of those clubs not being as big as many of the other Premier League sides, it affords a new foreign manager a longer rope to get used to the British system and to turn things around before the pressure mounts to unbearable levels.

Now that Martin Jol has triumphantly returned to Premier League management, I look forward to the prospect of seeing other managers entertain the notion of coming to England. A few that come to mind include Frank Rijkaard, Andre Villas-Boas (although a move is unlikely right now) and Marco Van Basten. And there's always the decision of where to place the other "foreign" manager, Mark Hughes. While I'm not sure whether he would want to go back, it'd be great to see him return to managing Blackburn Rovers. Or better yet, to manage Sunderland and to push them into a Europa League spot.

http://www.epltalk.com/martin-jol-appointment-as-fulham-manager-adds-character-to-premier-league-32185?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+EPLTalk+%28EPL+Talk%29

WhiteJC

TAKE A LOOK AT MARK HUGHES' LEAKED CV! IS IT STRONG ENOUGH FOR THE CHELSEA OR VILLA JOBS?

WhiteJC

Exclusive - Coleman: Jol perfect man for Fulham

Chris Coleman believes Martin Jol's style of management will suit Fulham.

The former Tottenham boss has agreed to take over control at Craven Cottage on a two-year-deal after Mark Hughes' sudden departure last week.

Coleman knows what works at Mohamed-Al-Fayed's team having managed the Cottagers between 2003 and 2007 and claims the Dutchman is exactly the right appointment for the club.

Speaking to the Saggers and Quinny show, the 40-year-old said: "I think it's a surprise appointment.

"I didn't foresee Mark Hughes not being there after a good season last year and I never detected any unrest but you never know what's going on.

"I'm not surprised it's Martin Jol though, he's a very good manager who's proved himself in the Premier League with Tottenham and I think his personality will suit the club.

"Fulham fans are a great bunch to work for, I had 10 years at the club and they were special to me.

"I think if Fulham finish mid-table every year then they've had a great year, if they finish in the top ten then it's a super season.

"They've managed to do that in the last few seasons. Martin Jol knows what the Premier League is like and knows how to play the game with the media and with chairman, he's been there and done it.

"I think he'll be a good appointment for Fulham. He'll be shrewd in the transfer market and I think Fulham will need to invest a little bit in the team.

"They might need to change a couple of positions and freshen things up, I think Martin Jol will be a really good appointment."

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/8116/5/exclusive-coleman-jol-perfect-man-fulham?

WhiteJC

Martin Jol could be just the man to maintain Fulham's upward curve
Martin Jol, arguably under-appreciated while with Tottenham Hotspur, could prove to be a shrewd signing by Fulham

Welcome back, then, Martin Jol. Fulham's decision to appoint the 55-year-old Dutchman, who managed Tottenham Hotspur between 2004 and 2007, has at the very least a peculiar kind of continuity about it.

Like his immediate predecessor, Mark Hughes, Jol is a player-friendly ex-international footballer who once played a single season for Bayern Munich; like Hughes, he was also fired in bungled circumstances – learning about his imminent dismissal by text message from his nephew during his final match at Spurs – by a Champions League-curious Premier League big-spender. And like Hughes, Jol still carries with him an air of a man with unfinished business.

Jol has waited for the right job offer since his resignation as Ajax manager in December last year. The cynic may suggest this added up simply to one with a London postcode (Jol still has a house in the south-east). But this is a keen-eyed appointment on both sides, not least because Jol has perhaps been a little underrated in England.

There is at least a case for an on-second-thoughts-style reappraisal of his time at Spurs. Jol was sacked in October 2007 with his team near the foot of the table, after which his legacy was muddied by a comical interlude under the unlamented Spaniard Juande Ramos. A year and a half before Jol's departure, Spurs had narrowly failed to qualify for the Champions League after an outbreak of illness at the team hotel before the final match of the 2005-06 season at West Ham United. At the time, and despite two successive years of European competition, there were doubts over the acuity of Jol's tactics, some rumours that his training methods may have been a little pre-Wenger, and above all talk of him not being "the man to deliver consistent top-four finishes". Needless to say, this particular man is still proving elusive for Spurs.

Looking back, Jol's three years at White Hart Lane had plenty of gold stars, not to mention a legacy of team-building for which Harry Redknapp, in particular, may be grateful. Players signed under Jol's auspices include: Gareth Bale (for £5m); Dimitar Berbatov (later sold for a £20m profit); Aaron Lennon (nurtured by Jol through homesickness and loss of confidence); plus Tom Huddlestone, Michael Dawson and Benoît Assou-Ekotto. Jol even tried to buy an out-of-form Bale again while he was at Ajax in 2009. "People might have doubted he was ready when I signed him, but I was confident he had the talent and that he would become one of the best players in Europe in his position. I still think that could be the case," Jol said, at a time when Spurs had yet to win a league match with Bale in the team.

Of course, there is much hit-and-miss in all of this, not to mention a certain confusion as to who was actually responsible for many of Spurs' signings at this time (wrangles with Damien Comolli, the director of football, were commonplace). Still, there is a lingering sense that some part of the credit for Tottenham's Champions League season should go to Jol. After all, six members of the team that beat Inter at White Hart Lane last season were initially signed while the Dutchman was in charge.

Since leaving Ajax, where he won the Dutch Cup but seemed fazed by the peculiarly personal pressures involved, Jol has been linked with Birmingham City, Aston Villa, Newcastle United and West Ham. This most Anglophile of foreign managers (even that "Martin" is a mangling of his original Maarten) has bided his time. And Fulham may prove to be a smart onward move for man who was so obviously flattered to be linked to the job of Sir Alex Ferguson's assistant after the departure of Carlos Queiroz.

This is a club built on firm footings; owned outright by a real-life actual own-money billionaire; not to mention a reasonable jumping-off point for the manager with upward aspirations, as Roy Hodgson and Hughes have demonstrated. Jol is the fourth manager in four years for this most likeable of inner-city suburban clubs.

"I am very happy to join Fulham Football Club, a wonderful traditional club," Jol said on Tuesday morning. "It is a club with good, solid foundations and a great fanbase." He may well flourish there, too, in which case the question will be, once again, how long Fulham can retain another manager with the air of a man with something to prove.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/jun/07/martin-jol-fulham-manager?

WhiteJC

Jol tipped to be a success at Fulham

Bookies are backing Martin Jol to continue the good work carried out by predecessors Roy Hodgson and Mark Hughes at Fulham.

William Hill reckon fifth to eighth and ninth to 12th are joint 6-4 favourites for where Fulham will finish in the Premiership next season.

Coming 13th to 17th is 11-4, relegation is 9-1 with a top four finish ranked way out at 66-1.

Spokesman Graham Sharpe said: "Jol has two difficult acts to follow after Messrs Hodgson and Hughes both did well at Fulham, but we expect to stay at Craven Cottage until at least 2013."

Odds on Jol leaving the role: 2011 5-1, 2012 11-4, 2013 6-4, 2014 3-1, 2015 or later 7-2.

Who will finish higher? 9-2 Fulham, 1-8 Spurs.

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/sport/football/9069845.Jol_tipped_to_be_a_success_at_Fulham/?