watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Gold cup

Started by clintclintdeuce, June 07, 2011, 11:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clintclintdeuce

And its going to be a grudge match for the USA v Panama....
The Dude abides.

YankeeJim

Panama played 120 today. Hopefully, there will be a dead leg or two.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

HatterDon

Panama caught us by surprise once. They'll beat us again, but that'll be 6 or 7 years from now.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Logicalman

I think we played well yesterday, especially considering our striker was off in the opening period. I was pleased with Bedoya's performance, after his lat time out when I wondered if he was there at all.

Jamaica had some pace and we stood up well at the back, though Bradley was the obvious odd-man-out there, proving that he has little pace and even less sense of urgency, losing the ball a number of times in midfield (the first time led to Jamaica's first attack), poor passing, and when tracking back failed to keep up with midfielders and strikers alike. In a similar fashion to the slump Murphy went through this past season when his passing was very poor, I was put in fear each time Bradley got the ball in midfield without sufficient cover behind to assist him.

I hope that Bradley (snr) noted that we played well for the first hour, without his golden boy Donovan, and the same golden boy didn't do much to change the game after he did finally get on the field. Unfortunately, noting his post match comments ... "It's been a busy stretch for Landon and we thought [with an] afternoon game, [it] made sense using him as a reserve today knowing that we could bring him on and he could give us a lot," Bradley said, it seems his insight is still blind. Unless Jozy can recover from his hamstring problems, it looks like Donovan will start on Wednesday, though I would rather see Bedoya in the starting line-up and golden boy on the bench as back-up.

Overall, a good performance, as mentioned elsewhere, Jones was fortunate to not see red after seeing red, and I'm not certain we will have too much trouble getting past Panama in the Semis, as from the performance they gave yesterday, they are just not up for it. I can only describe the latter match yesterday as long periods of 'players' rolling on the ground, interspersed with fleeting periods of football. It was a very poor showing for the Gold Cup, two teams that did more play-acting that actual football, and the final two reds prior to the extra time being played, were cards that should have been shown some time beforehand. Expect nothing less from Panama on Wednesday, and hope the ref is stronger than last nights one, and is willing to take control of the teams and let the game play.

timmyg

It's probably no coincidence that once Jozy left there was fluidity on offense.
"Not everybody's the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever." -- Terrelle Pryor, on Michael Vick

Ag

Looked more like a 4-2-3-1 to me.  Agree on Bradley, I think he's regressed a bit since losing first team football.  At this time, I'd probably pair Edu and Jones (in yesterday's formation), but we know that won't happen.  Jozy's another one who just doesn't seem to be showing much in the way of improvment.  I'd rather see Agudelo as he brought more fluidity, as mentioned, but also has been pretty impressive for how little experience he has.  More pitch time can't hurt.  Our back four is looking pretty slow in this Cup.  While it's still a long ways out, if we stick with the formation, I'd expect Holden to take the spot Sacha manned yesterday, not Jones's.

Also agree that while we possessed the ball well, created chances and won, that match wasn't a positive endorsement of US Soccer.  I don't want to see us rolling around like that and diving like Jones did.  Granted, they're acceptable tactics in CONCACAF (and elsewhere) but I'd rather see us stay above that.

Speedwise, Jamaica looked like they gassed by half for the most part.  So I don't know how representative that match was of their team speed.  While they may line up and beat the Mexican team in a footrace, there's no way they play faster than Mexico who are far superior at passing and moving with the ball and making supporting runs.

Not too worried by Panama this time around.

Logicalman

Quote from: timmyg on June 20, 2011, 03:12:14 PM
It's probably no coincidence that once Jozy left there was fluidity on offense.

Perhaps it's because there was no plan to play without an all-out striker, and so the team, to their credit, made it up as they went along, and got the result.

Logicalman

Are we up for this tonight lads?

On Fox, around 6PM I believe.

HatterDon

Yep! Getting together with me good mate, Ag [the only other Fulham supporter in USA's 7th largest city]. There was a time we would have done this at the Lion and Rose over several Fullers ESB and some faux fish 'n chips. Thanks to the economy, however, we'll be watching it on my television, Ag is bringing some brewskis, and HatterMom will be making cheeseburger pizza for us.

COYRWB

Steve_orino

I'm ready!  Was just at the "mexican-food-at-the-gas-station place" during the lunch hour stirring the pot!  086.gif

Ready for a Estados Unidos vs. Honduras Final!
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

BarryP

I guess I will be watching this on the Concacaf website  :dft006:.  Better than nothing I guess.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

Mr. F

Dempsey GOALLLLL!  098.gif

GREAT pass by Donovan!

HatterDon

Quote from: Mr. F on June 23, 2011, 01:41:12 AM

GREAT pass by Donovan!

and a brilliant through ball from ... oh my god, he's back from the dead ... Freddy Adu.

finnster01

Quote from: HatterDon on June 23, 2011, 02:23:28 AM

GREAT pass by Donovan!

and a brilliant through ball from ... oh my god, he's back from the dead ... Freddy Adu.

And that's a fact man  098.gif
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

BarryP

Quote from: finnster01 on June 23, 2011, 02:27:42 AM
Quote from: HatterDon on June 23, 2011, 02:23:28 AM

GREAT pass by Donovan!

And that's a fact man  098.gif

:005: :clap_hands:

I'll be honest and admit I didn't really expect to see Freddy in a match even after he was named to the squad.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

Logicalman

Nice post-match interview by Freddy (even with the assistance of Demps) , very gracious in his words for the rest of the squad. He appears to now have the maturity to match his skills. Look forward to him starting the final with Agudelo. I saw they gave Demps MoM, but Jones had to be a close second. Likewise in the QF, he made one rash tackle during the match that could have had consequences, but his overall play at both ends and in the middle proved that he is willing to work as hard for the USMT  as Demps does for Fulham.

The second semi was little more vicious in nature, and the red card in extra time was about an hour late as far as I could see. Honduras gave a good account of themselves, holding the Mexicans back for almost 100 minutes of bruising battle (literally at times), but the Mexicans shwed why they are a force to be reckoned with, scoring two goals in quick succession, and very well taken ones as well. Their break speed is something Bradley et al, will need to look out for, and Jones will come into his own in the Final, I'm sure.

Saturdays final (live on Fox match starts 8PM EST) will be no walk-over by any means. Mexico are up for it. and apart from having the required skilful players to make a match of it, they also have an aggressiveness not seen in the US matches thus far. Expect Demps to come in for some treatments from them, with bruises to prove it.

HatterDon

On paper we shouldn't stand a chance with Mexico, but as Keith Olbermann used to say back when he was doing sports, "Games aren't played on paper; they're played inside television sets."

The key player against Mexico will be Donovan. If Landycakes stays home and Mandon shows up, we're in with more than a shout. He usually plays his very best against El Tri, and when he does he lives inside their heads.

I don't think we start Adu. We DO start Donovan instead of Sacha, but that should be the only change.

Oh, and I STILL don't like Jones. I much prefer Edu until such time as Holden is fit.

Steve_orino

If that header from Agudelo would have gone in at the 25th it would have changed the whole complexion of the game...

As it didn't, we had to get that bus parked in front their goal to move & it finally happened in the 75th minute (a shot & save and the ensuing corner), allowing a counter of our own with a great through-pass, a great low-cross, & nice finish!

I thought for the most part we showed great patience which we didn't in the first game against them.  I'm glad Bradley stuck with what worked but against Mexico, I would have to agree that Donovan needs to be ready for 90 minutes & we need him to be Mandon.

I liked seeing Demps up top with Adu behind him & Donovan anywhere on the field - a lot of creativity can be generated from those three.  Should be an interesting one on Satuday, to say the least.
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

clintclintdeuce

Excited for the finale. I dont see Mexico winning on American soil. 2-0 for the yanks
The Dude abides.

YankeeJim

I don't see Mexico winning on US soil but the game is in Los Angeles, the second largest Mexican city in the world. There will be 75, 000 sceaming Mexfornians among the 90,000 or so in the Rose Bowl.

Yea, I know it's in Pasadena. I drove by it coming & going today and will do so again mañana.
We do have an advantage. The forecast is 81 & party cloudy. Unlike, assteca which will likely be 114 & air you can chew.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.