Main Menu

Gold cup

Started by clintclintdeuce, June 07, 2011, 11:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

Quote from: clintclintdeuce on June 09, 2011, 07:16:25 PM
Quote from: Tom on June 08, 2011, 07:55:32 PM
Quote from: YankeeJim on June 08, 2011, 03:19:51 PM
Hatter, my initial comment was well before the match was over. The back line didn't look strong. Much of the night Jones was back helping out. Our center backs are inexperienced at this level and it showed. Jozy DID look good. Much better then I've seen him lately. However, Canada isn't exactly Spain.

Honestly, I was really negative going into this match. However, the lads made some progress in changing my mind. The center pair have two games against lesser opponents to get ready for probably Costa Rico & then the southern cry babies. Again, however, Bradley will probably put Gooch back in the line up and the man, sad to say, is a shadow of himself since that horrible knee injury.

The play of the night? Our boy Clint trying a diving header and then in midair, after a deflection putting the ball on frame while perpendicular to the ground with the bottom of his foot. His goal wasn't bad either. Gotta love the boy.

The midfield was strong and Timmay is a real stud.

Ok. Ok. The glass is half full, not half empty. Guess I've been Fulhamish about our yanks.
I don't know what game you were watching but Ream and Goodson played well for the first time together and the announcers said that all night long.

The announcers are idiots, especially if it was john harkes

It wasn't, CCD. I leapt for joy so high that I almost hyperextended all my joints but one [dammit] when I heard that FSC would be broadcasting the tournament. No Harkes, No Ian Darke, No Tommy Smyth.

What an unalloyed joy!
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Tom

Hatter, my initial comment was well before the match was over. The back line didn't look strong. Much of the night Jones was back helping out. Our center backs are inexperienced at this level and it showed. Jozy DID look good. Much better then I've seen him lately. However, Canada isn't exactly Spain.

Honestly, I was really negative going into this match. However, the lads made some progress in changing my mind. The center pair have two games against lesser opponents to get ready for probably Costa Rico & then the southern cry babies. Again, however, Bradley will probably put Gooch back in the line up and the man, sad to say, is a shadow of himself since that horrible knee injury.

The play of the night? Our boy Clint trying a diving header and then in midair, after a deflection putting the ball on frame while perpendicular to the ground with the bottom of his foot. His goal wasn't bad either. Gotta love the boy.

Ok. Ok. The glass is half full, not half empty. Guess I've been Fulhamish about our yanks.
I don't know what game you were watching but Ream and Goodson played well for the first time together and the announcers said that all night long.

Thankfully it wasn't Harkes. He is not on Fox Soccer channel.
Fulham for life!

clintclintdeuce

Quote from: HatterDon on June 09, 2011, 08:38:38 PM

It wasn't, CCD. I leapt for joy so high that I almost hyperextended all my joints but one [dammit] when I heard that FSC would be broadcasting the tournament. No Harkes, No Ian Darke, No Tommy Smyth.

What an unalloyed joy!
thats great HD... now we have to work at getting balboa out as well
The Dude abides.

Steve_orino

Quote from: clintclintdeuce on June 10, 2011, 08:13:04 AM
Quote from: HatterDon on June 09, 2011, 08:38:38 PM

What an unalloyed joy!
thats great HD... now we have to work at getting balboa out as well

We don't have FSC, so I watched the Spanish-language version...Balboa was on there!   096.gig
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

sacffc

CONCACAF TV has all of the games with English commentary at:

http://www.concacaftv.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Home
My music blog:  If you just Stand There and Play, is it worth listening to?

clintclintdeuce

Jamaica Guatemala today looks like the toast of the compeition so far, and Im quite looking forward to this one. I would prefer not to play Jamaica at any time this cup, and I reckon they will make the semis, beat Honduras, and win their group as well. Canada Guadelupe should be intersting, looking forward to seeing how the Canadians play when not up against the best team in Concacaf, and how they will respond.

Anyone heading out to see any of the matches?
The Dude abides.

clintclintdeuce

Jamaica one up with 17 mins to go.... theyre pretty good.
The Dude abides.

clintclintdeuce

The Dude abides.

finnster01

No Tommy Smyth? That means I will be watching the games  098.gif Can't stand that annoying leprechaun.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

clintclintdeuce

Quote from: finnster01 on June 11, 2011, 02:39:10 AM
No Tommy Smyth? That means I will be watching the games  098.gif Can't stand that annoying leprechaun.

I had a conversation once with him about Aberdeen and their matchup with Bayern, nice fellow, but can be a bit annoying on the telly
The Dude abides.

finnster01

Quote from: clintclintdeuce on June 11, 2011, 04:27:07 AM
Quote from: finnster01 on June 11, 2011, 02:39:10 AM

I had a conversation once with him about Aberdeen and their matchup with Bayern, nice fellow, but can be a bit annoying on the telly
He is the laughing stock of all Irish in New York
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

SoCalJoe

In lieu of today's match v Panama in Tampa and recent thread activity I was wondering... Is this a bad time to say I hate all things Panamanian (including the hats, excluding the Van Halen song)?  Let's whoop em today and take back the canal manana!!!  :hook:
You can observe a lot by just watching.

clintclintdeuce

Rooting for the Maple Leafs tonight.
The Dude abides.

Logicalman

here we go then lads ..... keep it clean (pretty please  :002:  )

clintclintdeuce

That might have been the worst loss in 15 years for the US. Really 2-1 to Panama? Tim Ream? Really the future is Tim Ream? HORRIBLE
The Dude abides.

HatterDon

U-G-L-Y

But, you have to hand it to the Panamanians. Talk about your hell for leather let's go for it.

What can I say

Van Halen - Panama (Music Video)

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

SoCalJoe

Cheap but effective ploy HD to keep me from ripping the elder Bradley apart (don't have many nice things to say about the kid either). Of course the second glass of a very good Cab isn't hurting the cause either  :wine:

Gold Cup organizers are  :020:  over the thought of the US and Mexico meeting before the final.
You can observe a lot by just watching.

Logicalman

I'll just re-post what I posted last night after the match, in response to Jarv's comment about how poor we were in the first half ...

Not much difference for the second 45 either!!

who was that 'striker' partnering Altidore - Agudelo? Who? He was missing for most of the first half, which means he was more prominent than the successful passing of that over-hyped, over-rated and over-paid Donovan (he should have stuck to singing).

If I hear another commentator telling me how good his passing was tonight, I'd have to question their sanity. Top quality passing? He couldn't pass gas successfully tonight. Like your good self, and it's well known, that my opinion of golden boy Donovan is about the same as my love of the blue poo.

The penalty was a complete joke, and Bradleys competence has to be brought up as to whether he has the skills to pick a defense at all. Sunday morning park defending was the right call for that lad Ream (he needs to be).

Unfortunately, and it has to be mentioned, that the three players above all play in the same league, unlike the other 8 starters, though the blame for the failure this evening cannot be laid only upon their shoulders. None of the US team particularly shone this evening. The only one, and I may be somewhat slightly biased in this opinion, was Dempsey who challenged for everything and was the only first half player willing to take a poke at goal, his two 'strikers' (and I use that term very loosely) up front of him, didn't have a clue.

oh well, time for kip I guess - with a somewhat heavy heart tonight, I expected so much more.

YankeeJim

What's to say? Donavan phoned it in. Odd substitutions. Why would you pull Marshal when Ream was inconsistant and scored two for the other side? Where is Omar Gonzalez? Why didn't tactics change in the second half? Why was our only offensive threat (Dempsey) constantly having to track back to midfield to get the ball? Why was the kid pulled and not Jozy who was totaly marked out of the game? If we want to bunker, Jones & baby Brad are a good pairing but if we want to get the ball passed midfield, one of them has to sit. Why do Bradley teams always start flat & give up early goals? In other words, lets start the refrain "Dump the bald fool".  :035:

BTW, I thought the ref did fine. Ream clearly fouled in the box & Bedoya clearly dove. Course those decisions were reached after the third replay. BTW, the refs hair shined so bright you could use it as a mirror to trim your nose hair.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

clintclintdeuce

Alll together now. .... COME ON YOU COSTA RICANS
The Dude abides.