more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (08.06.2011)

Started by Admin, June 08, 2011, 02:09:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

John Pantsil poised for Fulham exit

NEW Fulham boss Martin Jol has told John Pantsil there's no way back at Craven Cottage.

The Ghanaian full-back was set to be shown the door by former manager Mark Hughes when his contract expires at the end of the month, along with Diomansy Kamara, Eddie Johnson and Matthew Saunders.

And while Jol has offered a lifeline to wantaway winger Zoltan Gera, it's understood the rest of the names on Sparky's released list will stand.

The exits will free up cash for the Dutchman - appointed on a two-year deal yesterday – who has already been busy identifying transfer targets ahead of the new campaign.

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/fulham-fc-ealing/2011/06/08/john-pantsil-poised-for-fulham-exit-64767-28841792/?

WhiteJC

Gera could remain at Fulham
Out-of-contract midfielder's future uncertain amid West Brom interest

Zoltan Gera's agent has hinted the midfielder could stay at Fulham following the appointment of Martin Jol as manager.

Gera is available on a free transfer after his contract at Craven Cottage recently ran its course.

Former Cottagers boss Roy Hodgson, now at West Brom, is reported to be keen to be reunited with the Hungarian.

But Jol, who has taken over at Fulham following Mark Hughes' exit, is said to be an admirer of Gera and could look to retain his services.

Gera's agent, Vladan Filipovioc, told Hungarian newspaper Nemzeti Sport: "Martin Jol knows and likes Gera's style.

"When he was manager of Tottenham, he wanted to sign Gera. He would probably like to work with him now.

"Until Gera signs his new contract, anything can happen. It could be that he even stays at Fulham."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_6970333,00.html?

WhiteJC

ghana star on City's wish list

Leicester City are pursuing former Ghana international defender John Pantsil.

The Mercury understands City have made an enquiry for the 29-year-old right-back, who is out of contract at Premier League Fulham this summer and has not been offered a new deal.

However, the player's wage demands may be a stumbling block as it is believed he has asked for as much as £25,000 per week to drop into the Championship, a figure City have balked at.

Pantsil may have to lower his demands if he wants to join Sven-Goran Eriksson's promotion chasers next season.

Although the City boss will be backed by the club's owners this summer, they will not pay unreasonably high wages.

Pantsil has been capped 66 times by Ghana and has played in the Premier League since 2006, when he joined West Ham United from Hapoel Tel Aviv. He made only 19 appearances for the Hammers before switching to Craven Cottage in 2008.

He was a virtual ever-present but then fell out of favour last season under the then Fulham manager Mark Hughes.

City's interest in Pantsil could be an indication that Eriksson is preparing for life without his preferred right-back target, Kyle Naughton.

City would like to sign Naughton permanently after he showed superb form during his loan spell from Tottenham Hotspur last season. But he may still have a future at White Hart Lane and, if Spurs boss Harry Redknapp does decide to sell Naughton to City, Neil Warnock is poised to offer him Premier League football at Queens Park Rangers.

Meanwhile, City are understood to have been offered striker Nile Ranger by Newcastle United.

After breaking into the Magpies first team in impressive fashion two seasons ago, the 20-year-old has failed to make the progress the Geordies had expected.

They are ready to let the England under-19 international join a Championship club, possibly even on a permanent deal.

Several Championship clubs have been contacted, including City.

It has also been reported that City have offered Diomansy Kamara a contract after his loan spell with City last season, but the free agent has other offers to consider, including a more lucrative proposal to play in the Middle East.

Reports that City have entered the chase to sign Newcastle United's Wayne Routledge have been denied by sources close to the winger.

Leicester City have announced a fifth pre-season friendly.

A City XI will face Kettering Town at the Elgood Brewery Arena on July 26, kick-off 7.45pm.

So far, City have confirmed they will face Swedish sides IK Sirius and Hammarby, plus Italian side Brescia, during their pre-season tour of Sweden, before facing Real Madrid on July 30, a week before the new Championship season begins

http://www.thebluearmy.co.uk/news/ghana-star-City-s-wish-list/article-3636115-detail/article.html?

WhiteJC

Clint on the Mark

Clint Dempsey was on the score sheet as the US Men's national team got off to a wining start in the 2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup with a 2-0 victory over Canada on Tuesday.

Jozy Altidore netted the opener for the US on 15 minutes and Dempsey wrapped up the scoring after the break, sliding in at the back post to finish from a narrow angle.

However the highlight of the encounter came in the 15th minute when an audacious piece of improvisation from Dempsey almost resulted in a second goal for the States, with the Fulham attacker attempting a 'scorpion kick' after a cross was diverted behind him. Unfortunately Dempsey's effort was blocked by a covering defender.

The US face Panama next on Saturday in Tampa.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/June/DempseyUSvCanada.aspx?#ixzz1OgB6MLRj

WhiteJC

Could Jol look to Spurs for new players?
Talk this morning is that Spurs could look to Moussa Dembele to solve some of their striking options, but similarly could Martin Jol look to Spurs to rebuild his new Fulham side?

Now firstly, if we Dembele, he might not look to be the superstar signing that many people desire, but surely that depends on how many of our current strikers we intend to offload and in this player, we would have a young, hungry, quick, powerful and energetic player to offer competition, and at not yet 24, he is probably a player who might yet develop into an excellent player, so let`s not dismiss his ability just yet, despite less that outstanding scoring stats.

The obvious names that spring to mind when we look at players Jol might be interested in are Robbie Keane and Jermaine Jenas, whilst two other players in out of contract Jonathan Woodgate and out of favour Alan Hutton might be interesting options, though perhaps any chance of David Bentley finding a new home at Craven Cottage may have ended with Mark Hughes leaving the club.

Fulham have one of the smallest squads in the Premiership and though defensively, they are solid, there is little in reserve, should anything happen to their key three of Hangerland, Hughes and Baird and the futures of John Pantsil, Stephen Kelly and Carlos Salcido all looked uncertain prior to Jol arriving. Fulham have the promising Matthew Briggs at the back, but he may still be considered too young to make an automatic spot his own, leaving Fulham short in numbers, and they only have to look at Birmingham to see what losing a couple of vital defenders can do to your season.

Equally the clubs attacking options were stretched to breaking point last season and though Jol will hope to have better luck with his strikers than Hughes, with only Bobby Zamora and Dembele look settled, unless Spurs or someone else make an offer, there is talk that Andy Johnson will leave and Eidur Gudjohnsen has ended his loan spell from Stoke, meaning that there is sure to be a need for at least one new striker at Craven Cottage and could the experience of Robbie Keane be of interest, whilst you also imagine that he would work well with either of Zamora or Denbele.

In the midfield, I wonder what the relationship between Martin Jol and Danny Murphy will be like and whether Murphy will be worried about his future after Jol sold him whilst in charge at White Hart Lane after a less than convincing spell at the club, which for me was more about lack of opportunity that lack of player ability, so will he be a player to stick around or could the prospect of pairing Jermaine Jenas with Steve Sidwell look good for Fulham?

Perhaps, should Spurs have any genuine interest in Dembele, one of those extremely rare swap deals could come about, but I can see Martin Jol at least considering one or two of our fringe players and by adding Alan Hutton, Jermaine Jenas and Robbie Keane, I actually see Fulham having a very decent side and far stronger squad without breaking the bank and also bringing in players well known and rated by the new man in charge...

Read more: http://www.spurs.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=7508946#ixzz1OgBOJt7V

WhiteJC

Martin Jol may hold key to Gera future

West Brom's hopes of re-signing Zoltan Gera from Fulham could be dashed after the arrival of Martin Jol as the Cottagers new manager, according to the players' agent.

Albion had been optimistic of bringing midfielder Gera, who is out of contract, back to the Hawthorns and had held initial talks with the player.

But Jol is also an admirer of the Hungarian international and tried to sign the 32-year-old from Ferencvaros when manager of Tottenham.

Gera's agent, Vladan Filipovioc, told Hungarian newspaper Nemzeti Sport: "Martin Jol knows and likes Gera's style.

"When he was manager of Tottenham, he wanted to sign Gera. He would probably like to work with him now.

"Until Gera signs his new contract, anything can happen. It could be that he even stays at Fulham."

Gera made 155 appearances for the Baggies before moving to Fulham during the summer of 2008 when Roy Hodgson - now Albion's head coach - was manager.

West Brom are stepping up their search to sign a new striker after losing out to Swansea in the race for Watford's Danny Graham who completed a £3.5 million move to Wales to yesterday.

Albion had previously had a £2.5 million bid rejected for the former Middlesbrough man.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/martin-jol-may-hold-key-to-gera-future-2294500.html?

WhiteJC

Behind the Scenes

The Club is excited to announce that it has recently revamped Cottage Tours, offering a greatly enhanced experience for football fans and tourists alike.

Take a look behind the scenes of the oldest professional football club in London, learn about the proud history of our famous stadium, and perhaps get a glimpse of what might lie ahead in the future!

Your guided tour will start at the Johnny Haynes Statue before entering through the original turnstiles as you embark on your journey around the ground.

During the tour, you'll see exclusive video messages from the likes of George Cohen and Danny Murphy as they welcome you to Craven Cottage.

Stops along the way will include the Television Studio, the Michael Jackson statue and the Dugouts where Martin Jol will make those all important decisions - you can even sit in the Chairman's Box before dropping by the Cottage and visiting the Home team changing room.

Spaces are limited for each day, so don't miss out. Cottage Tours are now available 3 days a week, Friday to Sunday, starting at 11:15am and finishing in time for lunch 1 hour later.

Prices are just £10.50 Adults, £7.50 Children and £28 for a Family (2 Adults and 2 Children).

Season Ticket Holders are entitled to a 10% discount on bookings.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/June/BehindtheScenes.aspx?#ixzz1OgYhAO8w

WhiteJC

Suppose you gave a football match, and nobody came
Filed under: General — rich 
I once asked a statistician friend what the odds were of nobody turning up to a  Premier League football match.

Think about it like this: most season ticket holders go to all games. Until Stanley came along I wouldn't miss a game for the world, but things do happen and sometimes you can't make it.  I assume most people who have bought a ticket also then attend.  Away fans are probably less likely to travel.  So if you take 25,000 people and factor in the associated odds, what would be the probability of nobody turning up at the ground on a Saturday afternoon?

Massive, I assume, but it could happen.  Wouldn't it be hilarious if it did?

Anyway, QPR may be the first to experience this.

WhiteJC

Fulham star set for Forest switch

Nottingham Forest are closing in on the signing of Jonathan Greening - just as talkSPORT revealed back in April.

The 32-year-old Fulham midfielder has been told he can look for a new club this summer, with his contract up in 2012.

New Craven Cottage manager Martin Jol is looking to reinvigorate his squad and Greening will be one of the first casualties.

Forest manager Billy Davies is keen to add the former Manchester United star to his ranks and, as we told you earlier this season, Greening is bound for the City Ground with a deal expected soon.

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/8157/1/fulham-star-set-forest-switch?

WhiteJC

Love of the Game

With another successful season of Barclays Premier League football behind him, Mark Schwarzer now stands as of one of the top flight's most consistent and accomplished custodians.

And the 38-year-old stopper cited former Fulham goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar as one of the game's inspiring figures. The Manchester United goalkeeper, who is held in high esteem by Schwarzer, recently hung up his gloves at 40 years of age after a remarkable international and club career.

"For me someone like Van der Sar is a great example to follow," Schwarzer told fulhamfc.com. "He's someone I admire a lot for what he achieved in the game and what a model professional he is.

"To see someone of his age gives me inspiration and determination to get somewhere near that. At this moment in time I feel great and I'm working as hard as ever.

"As long as my performances remain good enough to play at this level I will continue to play. I work very hard because the older you get it does get more difficult and you have to adjust yourself with age – the way you live your life, the way you eat and the way you train."

After so many years in the game, Schwarzer still maintains a youthful enthusiasm for the game.

"I'm earning a fantastic living out of playing a sport that is my passion," he explained. "How many people on the planet can say they actually love doing what they do? From my point of view, why let anything distract me from the main objective? It's a big part of my life and I've been involved in football for 25 years. I'm making the most of playing football at this level.

"As long as I continue to enjoy playing, fit and playing well then I will continue. There's even the potential, if I play enough games next season, for an option for another year and I've got my sights set on that and helping Australia qualify for the 2014 World Cup."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/June/SchwarzerLoveoftheGame.aspx?#ixzz1OhAvDPD8

WhiteJC

Schwarzer: Jol's 'a big coup'
by DAN on JUNE 8, 2011

Mark Schwarzer is delighted that Fulham have moved quickly to replace Mark Hughes with Martin Jol.

The Australian international goalkeeper described Jol's move to Craven Cottage as 'a big coup' for Fulham and is optimistic that the club can build on their recent success. Schwarzer said it was important to avoid the hiatus that followed Roy Hodgson's departure last summer and is looking forward to Jol's technical style of coaching.

I think the club was very conscious of the position we were in last season when two weeks before the first game we still didn't have a new manager. It was well documented last season they were after Martin Jol and this time they've got him. It's definitely a positive move to have it all sorted out now. Our pre-season starts on June 23 because we're in the Europa League, so it was vital that we moved quickly on a manager and now he can start planning for the season ahead.

He's a very well-respected and successful manager. His last job was at Ajax Amsterdam, prior to that he was at Hamburg and before that he was at Tottenham. They're some very big clubs he's been involved in. The Dutch are renowned for their coaching ability and I've been coached by a few Dutch over the years and they're all technically very strong. I'm looking forward to working with him.

It might be only two-three positions up the table but that's a huge ask to get into the top six. Look at the calibre of teams who just scraped in – Tottenham and Liverpool – plus those who want to get there, like Aston Villa, and others, and you realise how hard it is.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/06/schwarzer-jols-a-big-coup/?

WhiteJC

Jol won't let Europe weigh down Fulham

Martin Jol today shrugged off concerns that the demands of the Europa League could threaten Fulham's Premier League campaign.

Under Roy Hodgson Fulham were stretched by their march to the Europa League Final in 2010 and former Tottenham boss Jol must also contend with a Europa League first qualifying round first-leg game on June 30, barely a fortnight after some of his players complete international duties.

But Jol said: "It would be ridiculous to say that I'm not happy with being in the Europa League.Let's not forget, though, that it can hinder you in the season.

"The last time Fulham were in the Europa League they were 12th in the table. But it is my hope that we can build a squad that is strong enough to compete in all of these competitions."

Jol could also throw a lifeline to Zoltan Gera, who is out of contract this summer. The Hungarian midfielder's agent, Vladan Filipovic, said: "Martin knows and likes Gera's style, because when he was at Spurs he wanted to sign him."

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-23957935-jol-wont-let-europe-weigh-down-fulham.do?

WhiteJC

Rising stars keep Schwarzer honest

MARK SCHWARZER would play forever for the Socceroos if he could, but even he's impressed about the next generation of goalkeepers who will inevitably step into his shoes.

Socceroos coach Holger Osieck jumped at the opportunity this week to play both Nathan Coe, 27, and Adam Federici, 26, in this week's friendly matches against New Zealand and Serbia, with the prodigiously talented 22-year-old Mitchell Langerak also finding his way to the bench.

While Schwarzer, who turns 39 in October, has no plans to give up his position as Australia's No.1 for now, he cast a keen eye over how Coe and Federici performed in the role he has made his own in the past decade.

''I've been watching Adam for a little while now and he's obviously doing well in the Championship at Reading, and every opportunity he's had for the national team, he's taken it and he did it again against Serbia,'' Schwarzer said. ''It's tough for a keeper when you're not playing games and you've got someone in front of you because it's game time you need. He'll have to bide his time but he's a talented goalkeeper.

''Nathan has impressed me a lot in the 12 months since he's been involved in the national side. He's got a lot of ability, a willingness to learn and get better. He's got a great attitude. What is important for him is that he's playing first-team football [with Danish club SønderjyskE]. Hopefully he'll get noticed and make a move to a bigger club and he can show everyone what he's really capable of.''

Schwarzer is recovering from a groin operation that prevented him from playing for the Socceroos this week. However, he expects to be back between the posts for English Premier League side Fulham for their pre-season campaign, where Martin Jol will take the reins after being announced as manager yesterday.

''I think the club was very conscious of the position we were in last season when two weeks before the first game we still didn't have a new manager,'' Schwarzer said. ''It was well documented last season they were after Martin Jol and this time they've got him. It's definitely a positive move to have it all sorted out now. Our pre-season starts on June 23 because we're in the Europa League, so it was vital that we moved quickly on a manager and now he can start planning for the season ahead.''

Schwarzer described Jol's appointment as a ''big coup'' for the Cottagers. ''He's a very well-respected and successful manager,'' he said. ''His last job was at Ajax Amsterdam, prior to that he was at Hamburg and before that he was at Tottenham. They're some very big clubs he's been involved in. The Dutch are renowned for their coaching ability and I've been coached by a few Dutch over the years and they're all technically very strong. I'm looking forward to working with him.''

Jol will have a £15 million ($22.96m) transfer kitty but Schwarzer said it might not be enough to lift the club above last season's eighth-placed finish. ''It might be only two-three positions up the table but that's a huge ask to get into the top six. Look at the calibre of teams who just scraped in - Tottenham and Liverpool - plus those who want to get there, like Aston Villa, and others, and you realise how hard it is,'' he said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/football/rising-stars-keep-schwarzer-honest-20110608-1ft75.html#ixzz1OhDwWRKk

WhiteJC

Leicester City join chase for John Pantsil

English Championship side Leicester City have joined the chase to sign Ghana international defender John Pantsil but his high salary could scupper the deal.

The 29-year-old's contract with Premier League side Fulham will not be extended when it expires this summer.

His availability on a free transfer has alerted several clubs in England, France and Germany with Premier League sides in the frame.

West Brom boss Roy Hodgson is keen reuniting with the right-back who was excelled during the coach's reign at Fulham.

Queens Park Rangers are also reported to be keen on Pantsil but Leicester have entered to race to enable them boost their squad for next season.

However, his £25,000 per week wage demands may be a stumbling block.

The Ghana international may have to lower his expectations if he wants to join coach Sven-Goran Eriksson at Leicester who are keen on promotion next season.

Pantsil is keen to stay in England as his family is settled in the European country but Leicester will not pay unreasonably high wages.

Pantsil has been capped 66 times by Ghana and has played in the Premier League since 2006, when he joined West Ham United from Hapoel Tel Aviv.

He made only 19 appearances for the Hammers before switching to Craven Cottage in 2008.

He was a virtual ever-present but then fell out of favour last season under the then Fulham manager Mark Hughes.

http://www.ghanasoccernet.com/2011/06/leicester-city-join-chase-for-john-pantsil/?

WhiteJC

In Demand!
Mark Hughes may not have had any specific job lined up when he quit as manager of Fulham but his name is fast being linked with vacant positions.

As we reported yesterday, after an earlier denial by Aston Villa, our news sources are inferring that Hughes is in the running for the vacant Aston Villa job an dour news source is suggesting that he`ll be interviewed along with Steve McClaren and Rafael Benitez.

Hughes is also linked with the vacant position at Athletic Bilbao with the La Liga side keen to talk to Hughes and the Wigan boss, Roberto Martinez.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=243896#ixzz1OhUQjm4n

WhiteJC

And You Would?
With the suggestion that there is somewhere in the region of between £15 million to £20 million available for the transfer budget this summer, we have a few questions you might like to respond to.

With it being quite a notable sum of money, what would you do to improve the squad for next season?

Would you be tempted to splash big on one player, say £10 million and then spread the rest over another three players?

Would you splash big and bring two £10 million players to Craven Cottage?

Would you be more conservative and bring four £5 million players to the squad?

We await your opinions!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=243901#ixzz1OhUZkjrY

WhiteJC

Transfer Budget
Was money really behind the sudden departure of Mark Hughes?

The reason I ask is that several news sources inferred that Hughes upped and left because he didn`t felt that the club were prepared to give him the financial backing he wanted to push us up another couple of rungs of the ladder.

If that were the case then we`re a little perplexed because the buzz in the tabloid press this morning is that Martin Jol will be given something in the region of £15 million to £20 million to strengthen the squad.

Now I`d suggest that if that amount is spent wisely, there`s no reason that, providing we have a solid start to the season, we can`t look to better our achievements of last season!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=243900#ixzz1OhUntsJp

WhiteJC

Deal or No Deal?
One tabloid transfer gossip column has our very own Jonathan Greening dropping into the Championship.

Greening, now thirty two years old, is wanted by the Nottingham Forest manager, Billy Davies.

According to the rumour, the player we signed from West Bromwich Albion, will be the subject to of a £1 million bid from Forest.

Previously, when the possibility of Greening being sold has been raised, we received comments suggesting you`d pay the taxi fare, for a £1 million should it be deal or no deal?

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=243902

WhiteJC

And the 'Quote of the Month` Is?
As far as quotes go and if we were to have a quote of the month competition, I reckon one delivered by Mr Al Fayed yesterday would win hands down.

Announcing the appointment of Martin Jol as our new manager, Mr Al Fayed took a hefty dig at the departed Mark Hughes by sniping,

"Now we have a long term manager."

Absolutely top-notch I`d say!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=243903#ixzz1OhVFKDU6

WhiteJC

Another Europa League Journey
A repeat of our Europa League experience of the season before last would be most welcome.

But, qualification through the Fair Play League doesn`t exactly do you any favours.

If we are to reach the slightly more lucrative stages of the competition, namely the group stages, we have a mammoth 8 fixtures to get through.

On the positive side it should see us starting the new Premier League season in fine shape but on the negative side, as was expressed last time we went on a mammoth Europa League run, there is the danger of tiredness setting in towards the end of next season.

It truly is a case of wings and roundabouts.

But one player, Philippe Senderos, is actively looking forward to the challenge. After, courtesy of a bad injury, only making a handful of Premier League appearances towards the end of last season, the Swiss international has his own views on the situation, commenting,

"The end of the season came a bit too soon for me but we are going to have a short summer."

"We come back on June 23rd - that`s fine for me as I was out a while."

Somehow I have a feeling that Philippe Senderos will be playing quite a lot on those aforementioned 8 fixtures, don`t you?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=243904#ixzz1OhVTqzLN