more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (09/06/11)

Started by WhiteJC, June 09, 2011, 07:26:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Keane exit on cards

Striker Robbie Keane could finally get his move away from Spurs this summer as new Fulham boss Martin Jol is looking to land him.

The Republic of Ireland striker appears to have little future at White Hart Lane and was expected to complete a move to West Ham for around £6m had they not been relegated.

Once they went down that ended that move but former Spurs boss Jol is now ready to be reunited with Keane as he looks to add to Fulham's front line.

The move looks likely to suit all parties as long as a fee can be agreed between the clubs, £4m could be enough, but there may still be a stumbling block over his wages.

Keane is thought to be earning around £70,000 a week at Spurs and that may prove too rich for Fulham.

http://www.clubcall.com/tottenham-hotspur/keane-exit-on-cards-1224105.html?

WhiteJC

PL clubs keen on Strootman
Holland midfielder attracting interest

Strootman: Utrecht midfielder linked with switch to the Premier League

Skysports.com understands a number of Premier League sides are tracking Holland international Kevin Strootman.

Utrecht midfielder Strootman is regarded as one of the best young players in the Eredivisie after impressing for Utrecht since his January arrival from Sparta Rotterdam.
The 21-year-old has broken into the Holland side and is currently with the Oranje squad during their trip to South America after playing in games against Brazil and Uruguay.

FC Twente had a bid rejected for the classy midfielder last month and now a host of Premier League sides are keeping tabs on Strootman's situation.

Fulham have been credited with an interest in the past and with Martin Jol now at the helm at Craven Cottage they could step up their interest this summer.

Qualities

Strootman's agent, Chiel Dekker, admits his client would be keen on a move to the Premier League if the opportunity arose.

"Kevin would be interested to play in the Premier League, like any player would," Dekker told skysports.com.

"I believe he has the qualities to play in England and be a success in the Premier League."

Strootman has admitted he would like the chance to play at the highest level possible.

He said: "Of course, like any other player, I would like to play at a very high level. But I will not force my departure from FC Utrecht."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6972898,00.html?

WhiteJC

Unsung Hero

It should not be the case, but outside of Craven Cottage Aaron Hughes is perhaps one of the most underrated central defenders in the top-flight. However, for Whites fans he is one of their undisputed heroes.

In what was his fourth campaign with the Club, throughout the course of the 2010/11 season Hughes was at his faultless best. As consistent as ever, the 31-year-old impressed on-lookers with his reading of the game and composure and assurance on the ball.

"It was a good season for us all I think," said Aaron speaking to fulhamfc.com. "If we're talking about consistency, then that applies for the whole team really. Okay, there were a few blips and disappointing performances, but on the whole I believe we played well throughout.

"At times those performances probably weren't reflected in the outcome of our results, particularly in the first half of the season when we were drawing a lot of games. But if you look back on the second half then I think it was clear to see - we turned a corner so to speak and managed to finish the season strongly.

"As the campaign came to an end we were probably one of the league's form teams. We had a lot of confidence and were playing some very good football."

As a result, Fulham ended the campaign in a very healthy eighth place, building on last season's 12th place finish.

"That's what you want isn't it?" adds Aaron. "Every year you want to build on the season before and we did. I think we have to be very happy with that and who knows with a bit more luck in three or four of those matches we could well have finished higher?

"If you look at the teams that finished above us, then we were certainly in good company. I don't think anyone was too surprised to see Manchester United, Chelsea, Manchester City and Arsenal qualify for the Champions League, while the likes of Tottenham, Liverpool and Everton are expected to be up there.

"So I think we can take a lot from where we finished, it was a fantastic achievement and one that we will hopefully build on further. It was probably one of the most competitive Premier League seasons too, and we shouldn't forget that."

If the Whites are to build on a positive 12 months, then Hughes will again be central to those plans. The reported £1million that was spent in bringing his talents to the Cottage in July 2007 make him one of the Fulham's shrewdest pieces of business in recent times – it is a move that has worked well for both player and club.

"It has worked out well, and I'm very thankful for that," he explained. "There have been a few ups and downs along the way but I've enjoyed my time at Fulham immensely – and long may that continue.

"I've been part of some very memorable matches and I like to think that I have helped play in some capacity. This is an ambitious club and one that will keep moving forward, and hopefully I can continue to be part of that.

"I work hard and as ever, when I return for pre-season I will make sure that I am as strong as ever. The league is so demanding, and because of that, if you're not at the top of your game then you will soon be found out. But that's what makes this league what it is.

"Us defenders are here to keep the goals out, but the defending starts from the front and that is something we are particularly good at. From front to back we're in the game together.

"I've said in the past what a great player Brede is and for whatever reason we work very well together. I know how important that can be and it's a pleasure to play alongside him – as it is with all my team-mates.

"We've played alongside each other for a while now, so I like to think that we know each others' game and strengths. He's done very well since he came in a few years back, and from day one he's looked at home. He's someone that you'd want on your team rather than coming up against!"

As Fulham look to embark on their second European campaign in just three seasons, Hughes' experience will be as vital as it was last time out as the Whites hope to put together another memorable run on European shores.

"It's fantastic for everyone involved with the Club," said Aaron. "I'm looking forward to getting out there and testing ourselves against teams from the continent. It will be interesting to see where those early rounds can take us because it is very much a case of the unknown really.

"But that's exciting, and as we did last time, we will give it our best shot. It's difficult to predict how well we will do, but it goes without saying that we are hoping to do well and go far. I'm not sure how many people would have predicted a second attempt in three years, but that's how far this club has now come."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/June/AaronHughesBuilding.aspx?#ixzz1OmECrSCR

WhiteJC

Cottagers eye Dutch midfielder

Fulham are among a number of Premier League sides reportedly tracking Utrecht's highly-rated midfielder Kevin Strootman.

Strootman is regarded as one of the best young players in the Eredivisie after impressing for Utrecht since his January arrival from Sparta Rotterdam.

The 21-year-old has broken into the Holland side and is currently with the Oranje squad during their trip to South America after playing in games against Brazil and Uruguay.

FC Twente had a bid rejected for the classy midfielder last month and now a host of Premier League sides are keeping tabs on Strootman's situation.

Fulham have been credited with an interest in the past and with Martin Jol now at the helm at Craven Cottage they could step up their interest this summer.

Strootman's agent, Chiel Dekker, admits his client would be keen on a move to the Premier League if the opportunity arose.

"Kevin would be interested to play in the Premier League, like any player would," Dekker told skysports.com.

"I believe he has the qualities to play in England and be a success in the Premier League."

Strootman has admitted he would like the chance to play at the highest level possible.

He said: "Of course, like any other player, I would like to play at a very high level. But I will not force my departure from FC Utrecht."

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/6972965/Cottagers-eye-Dutch-midfielder?

WhiteJC

KG can leave Fulham

New Fulham manager Martin Jol has told Kagisho Dikgacoi that he can leave the club in the close-season, according to reports in England. 

Dikgacoi had sought clarity on his future after making just one substitute appearance for The Cottagers last season, before embarking on a successful loan spell with English Championship side Crystal Palace.

Former manager Mark Hughes had hinted that the Bafana Bafana star might see more game-time at Craven Cottage in the coming campaign given the fact that the club will be playing in the UEFA Europa League, but Jol has stated that Dikgacoi does not fit into his plans.

It could spark a return to Crystal Palace, who have made their interest in signing the midfielder on a permanent basis known.

"KG at Fulham is one we are looking to get back here," Palace assistant coach Lennie Lawrence says.

"We are keen and will look to do something when the teams come back in July."

Earlier this week, Dikgacoi's agent Mike Makaab says with the deflated European market at present, many clubs are seeking loan moves for top players.

"He [Dikgacoi] has one year on his contract which makes life difficult," Makaab said.

"If you are a free agent, it is fairly simple to move on, but when a fee is involved, with the European market so deflated at the moment, it becomes a whole lot more complicated as clubs simply don't have money to spend. Many are looking for free agents or loan moves."    

http://www.kickoff.com/news/22279/kagisho-dikgacoi-could-leave-fulham-for-crystal-palace.php

WhiteJC

Premier League transfers:

Fulham
What is the priority for the summer? Having appointed a new manager he will identify his own priorities but Fulham are in the market for a new striker and central midfielder.

How much is there to spend? Talk of £20m has yet to materialize – Mark Hughes was certainly sceptical – but Martin Jol has already stated funds are available and he is after new players.

Who might arrive? Mounir El Hamdaoui, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Eidur Gudjohnsen

Who might leave? Eddie Johnson, Diomansy Kamara, John Pantsil, Stephen Kelly, Carlos Salcido.

When are they back in action? Fulham's pre-season programme is determined by the Europa League. The players report back on June 23 and play their first game a week later.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/8564436/Premier-League-transfers-club-by-club-guide-to-the-big-money-moves-this-summer.html

WhiteJC

Cottage still the place to be for top stopper
Fulham - Mark Schwarzer is looking good and feeling great

Fulham stopper Mark Schwarzer admits he's still loving life at Fulham, and has no intention to hang up his gloves anytime soon.

The 38-year-old Australian international produced another impressive season at Craven Cottage last term, and despite his advancing years is confident he can still make a positive impression in the coming years.

"At this moment in time I feel great and I'm working as hard as ever. As long as my performances remain good enough to play at this level I will continue to play," Schwarzer told the official Fulham website.

"I work very hard because the older you get it does get more difficult and you have to adjust yourself with age – the way you live your life, the way you eat and the way you train."

A former Middlesbrough star, Schwarzer also highlighted former Fulham favourite Edwin Van der Sar as a shining light and role model for goalkeepers everywhere.

The veteran Dutchman retired at the age of 40 and still at the very top, claiming an English league title in his final season at Manchester United.

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/cottage-still-the-place-to-be-for-top-stopper?

WhiteJC

Thrills, chills and moments to savour

The journey took in 72 matches and almost 22,000 miles, concluding with England's 2-2 draw with Switzerland in a Euro 2012 qualifier at Wembley.

From Blackpool to Basle, it was an unpredictable mixture, throwing up the brilliance of Barcelona's Champions League final victory against Manchester United and the thrills of that final "Survival Sunday" as five clubs fought to stay in the top tier of English football.

As we look back on this season, through what will be a highly eventful close season and ahead to the next campaign, what condition has your club been left in? Here's my review:

Fulham - 8th

The glow of a very satisfactory Premier League placing was quickly replaced by the shock created by the abrupt departure of Mark Hughes as manager, a repeat of last summer when Roy Hodgson left for Liverpool after taking Fulham to the Europa League final.

Martin Jol's swift appointment will help banish some of the disappointment. The Dutchman, still a hugely popular figure with Spurs fans after his time at White Hart Lane, is a fine choice and demonstrates once again that Fulham have a sure touch when it comes to selecting managers.

Jol will bring knowledge of the Premier and Europe to Fulham and is presumably happy at the club's scale of ambition, a factor put forward as one of the reasons Hughes left. The Dutchman also inherits a club and team in a healthy condition. Hughes recovered from a poor start to steer the club into the Europa League via the Fair Play standings.

Losing another manager could have been a destabilising blow for Fulham but this fine old club has shown it has the infrastructure and the squad in place to move on with Jol.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philmcnulty/2011/06/end_of_season_review.html

WhiteJC

Midfielder's fee obstacle

Kagisho Dikgacoi can leave Fulham this summer but his agent admits he is struggling to attract a permanent deal.

New Fulham boss Martin Jol is understood to have told the South African he can find another club, but Crystal Palace, who he played for on loan last season, are not flushed with cash.

"KG at Fulham is one we are looking to get back here," said Palace assistant coach Lennie Lawrence.

But Dikgacoi's agent Mike Makaab admitted that clubs are mainly seeking loan moves for top players and are reluctant to commit to a permanent deal with a multi-year contract.

"He [Dikgacoi] has one year on his contract which makes life difficult," Makaab said.

"If you are a free agent, it is fairly simple to move on, but when a fee is involved, with the European market so deflated at the moment, it becomes a whole lot more complicated as clubs simply don't have money to spend. Many are looking for free agents or loan moves."

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/midfielders-fee-obstacle-1224249.html?

WhiteJC

Gera Staying?
West Bromwich Albion might be interested in signing Zoltan Gera but the deal is by no means cut and dried.

In fact the inference this morning is that Gera, after the change of manager at Craven Cottage, may well be tempted to stay.

Although Zoltan is a free agent, Gera`s agent, Vladen Filipovic, has been quoted as having remarked,

"Jol likes his style. Until Gera signs his new contract, anything could happen - he may stay at Fulham."

Should he stay or should he go?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=243986#ixzz1OnbOPwrB

WhiteJC

Keane Link?
Having been in charge at White Hart Lane before being forced out of the door, speculation has been rife, over on the Vital Spurs site, as to whether Martin Jol will return to White Hart Lane with a view to luring some of those players he`s previously coached to Craven Cottage.

This morning, the tabloid press, have wasted no time in offering the first link with the inference that Jol could very well be interested in bringing Robbie Keane to Craven Cottage.

Keane, who was on loan at West Ham towards the back-end of last season, is mentioned as being in the £4 million bracket. At thirty years of age he should still have plenty to offer but, as the tabloid press have pointed out, if he were to come to Craven Cottage he may well have to take a pay-drop from the reputed £70,000 a week he`s currently on.

Keep them peeled as the legendary Shaw Taylor used to say!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=243985#ixzz1OnbXqZgl

WhiteJC

Kamara Interesting Leicester!
Going on loan to Leicester City looks to have paid dividends for Diomansy Kamara.

The striker, now thirty years of age, found himself out of favour at Craven Cottage last season and a move looked to be in everyone`s interest.

This morning, the tabloid press is inferring that Leicester City are looking to offer him a contract, on what terms we don`t know. But we will endeavour to inform you if a permanent deal is struck.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=243987#ixzz1OnbiHvbk

WhiteJC

Pantsil`s Off!
Have we really seen the last of those passionate laps of honour performed by John Pantsil?

The reason I ask is that the tabloid press are reporting that the defender, like Kamara, is in talks about a move to Leicester,

At twenty-nine years of age you`d hope that Pantsil`s career is far from over and that he can establish himself somewhere else after dropping out of the Fulham first team picture at Craven Cottage last season.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=243989#ixzz1OnbtVuTi

WhiteJC

Midfielder's move dilemma

Kagisho Dikgacoi can leave Fulham this summer but his agent admits he is struggling to attract a permanent deal.

New Fulham boss Martin Jol is understood to have told the South African he can find another club, but Crystal Palace, who he played for on loan last season, are not flushed with cash.

"KG at Fulham is one we are looking to get back here," said Palace assistant coach Lennie Lawrence.

But Dikgacoi's agent Mike Makaab admitted that clubs are mainly seeking loan moves for top players and are reluctant to commit to a permanent deal with a multi-year contract.

http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/2011/06/09/Midfielders-move-dilemma/gnid-97010/?