watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

nfr, guns in america. shocking news.

Started by jarv, June 20, 2011, 11:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarv

I just read that 4 people, one of them only 17 were shot in Long Island, New York. It was in a pharmacy (chemist) shop. Four people just going about their daily lives when a real low life druggy walks in, shoots them all and steals pain killers. For christ sake, pain killers!
Again we will hear the moronic gun lobbyists and NRA (national rifle association) say that we have a right to carry a gun. Really!!!!
It is the criminals that kill people, not the guns they bleat on. Wow, real intelligent thinking. Let any piece of low life have a gun. Back ground checks??? What are they??
The footie season starts soon, we are all excited about the future. Four families, probably none have ever heard of Fulham, have been devastated by this druggy and the politicians, who must share the blame, do nothing about it.

finnster01

This is the same weekend Mr Jarv that saw 9 people shot in Brooklyn and 5 the next day in another incident.

And Police gaffer Kelly wants us to believe crime is still shrinking? My arse, I know one thing I am more alert and on my toes after dark now than when I first moved here  089.gif
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

LBNo11

...jarv, if you don't mind I will move this to the exiles section, it is an emotive subject but not one that directly affects the UK.

If you disagree let me know in the next five minutes - thanks...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

finnster01

Quote from: LBNo11 on June 20, 2011, 11:14:38 PM
...jarv, if you don't mind I will move this to the exiles section, it is an emotive subject but not one that directly affects the UK.

Not that my opinion matters, but I think you can Mr LB.

Either that or substitute gun with knife and it would apply to the UK too

mccscratch

to play devils advocate... there are very strict gun laws in New York... but even legislation can't prevent criminals from getting guns...

FWIW... I am not a gun supporter...
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

LBNo11

Quote from: finnster01 on June 20, 2011, 11:17:45 PM
Quote from: LBNo11 on June 20, 2011, 11:14:38 PM

Not that my opinion matters, but I think you can Mr LB.

Either that or substitute gun with knife and it would apply to the UK too

...the major difference is that US citizens have the right to bear arms legally, in the UK it is illegal to carry firearms and knives...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

jarv

Mr. Finn,
I worry a bit because my son started a new job in Manhatten, financial district 2 months ago. He will be moving into the city soon for a short commute. I don't know the city too well. Your opinion, best/worst districts to look at? When he worked in London, in the city, he lived in Wimbledon. Pretty safe there. What would be an equivalent of Wimbledon or Fulham?

jarv

No worries, it is just one of those things that brings you back down to earth.

finnster01

Quote from: mccscratch on June 20, 2011, 11:18:27 PM
to play devils advocate... there are very strict gun laws in New York... but even legislation can't prevent criminals from getting guns...

FWIW... I am not a gun supporter...

What is the point in strict gun legislation in New York when you can buy a Saturday day night special for next to nothing at a gun show 3 hours away in Virginia?

finnster01

Quote from: jarv on June 20, 2011, 11:21:09 PM
Mr. Finn,
I worry a bit because my son started a new job in Manhatten, financial district 2 months ago. He will be moving into the city soon for a short commute. I don't know the city too well. Your opinion, best/worst districts to look at? When he worked in London, in the city, he lived in Wimbledon. Pretty safe there. What would be an equivalent of Wimbledon or Fulham?

Mr Jarv,
New York is pretty safe still. It is just recently there have been a bit of an uptick in gun violence. But it all seems to come from certain areas.

Since your son works in Manhattan, obviously I'd look for a place there first but it is very expensive unless he can flat share with someone and so, it is not for the faint hearted. The further north you get, the cheaper it gets but still pricey and there are a few dodgy spots along the way.

I'd look at some places in Brooklyn that aren't too far away from Manhattan. There are some nice neighbourhoods there close to Manhattan but prices are going up. It is the same as London, look for a convenient subway stop and then start looking what is in reasonable walking distance.  There is also the Forest Hills section of Ny (Queens) that is good too (and not too far away) and you can get a deal if you look around

I wouldn't worry to much Mr Jarv. He'll land on his feet all right.

Brede Butter Pudding

This is not meant to stir any sort of pot at all, but comments like this really do bring home the reality, in my mind anyway, that America is a nation full of contradictions. I'm not sure what you guys across the pond think about it, but I was in Las Vegas a couple of months ago (for the first time, although I've holidayed in America numerous times) and it really brought home the reality that America is full of the most ridiculous contradictions possible.

For instance, I think I'm right in saying that prostitution is legal in Nevada, hence why you get these blokes handing out pamphlets for call girls and prostitutes right down the Vegas strip. Then, on the sides of taxis and trucks are firing ranges advertising family days where kids can play with AK47s and try out Uzis for fun... and people wonder why there is a gun crime culture in the US (similar, as Finn has said, to the knife crime culture over here). The contradictions then came when it became apparent that U21s could not drink alcohol, nor could they stand anywhere near any sort of gambling table or slot machine... Explain that one to me, a lad can't enjoy a beer of an evening but is allowed, and encouraged, to fire potentially life-ending weaponry?

I find it all absolutely bizarre, and stories like this are utterly tragic.

jarv

Brede,
Since living here I have never locked my door (over 20 years). Actually I did at first until I locked myself out. It took me 3 minutes to break in so I thought, "why bother". Safest place in the world. However, a few miles away......

The thing about the beer and under 21. Strange yes, you can go to war at 18 but can't buy a beer?? :down_under:

I think the problem is about allowing kids to get their hands on a gun (or drive a car like all kids do here) then let them have a beer.....could be  a problem. :037:

HatterDon

Mr. Pudding, if you like the contradiction game re-Las Vegas, you'll love the fact that -- as late as the 2000 census -- in the midst of all the gambling, organized crime, and legal prostitution, Las Vegas has more churches per square mile than anywhere in the country.

About the initial rant, several years ago a child in San Antonio was blinded by holding a fire cracker that exploded. In the public outcry that followed, the city and the county enacted some seriously severe laws concerning the sale and subsequent handling of fireworks. ONE CHILD WAS BLINDED. Meanwhile, each year there are dozens of children that are victims of gun violence in the city, but not one of those killings in my lifetime has resulted in any gun control legislation in the city.

We do have a constitutional right to own and bear arms. But since everyone agrees that this shouldn't extend to thermonuclear devices, it seems strange to me [after all these years] that the NRA and the spineless politicians they own can't recognize that there is no NEED to own and bear armor piercing "cop killer" bullets, assault weapons, and plastic guns that can escape radar detection.

And before I get told that if I don't like the laws in my city, state, and country, I can move to someplace "where there is no personal freedom," let me say that I have no intention in living anywhere else. My personal freedom extends to my freedom to call idiocy by its real first name.

Ban me if you wish.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

jarv

Don,
I could be wrong but my understanding about the "right to bear arms" was written when the "arms" were muskets, not rapid fire hand guns.
If so, surely the law should be updated one would think. 086.gif

finnster01

Quote from: HatterDon on June 21, 2011, 12:10:09 AM
Mr. Pudding, if you like the contradiction game re-Las Vegas, you'll love the fact that -- as late as the 2000 census -- in the midst of all the gambling, organized crime, and legal prostitution, Las Vegas has more churches per square mile than anywhere in the country.

About the initial rant, several years ago a child in San Antonio was blinded by holding a fire cracker that exploded. In the public outcry that followed, the city and the county enacted some seriously severe laws concerning the sale and subsequent handling of fireworks. ONE CHILD WAS BLINDED. Meanwhile, each year there are dozens of children that are victims of gun violence in the city, but not one of those killings in my lifetime has resulted in any gun control legislation in the city.

We do have a constitutional right to own and bear arms. But since everyone agrees that this shouldn't extend to thermonuclear devices, it seems strange to me [after all these years] that the NRA and the spineless politicians they own can't recognize that there is no NEED to own and bear armor piercing "cop killer" bullets, assault weapons, and plastic guns that can escape radar detection.

And before I get told that if I don't like the laws in my city, state, and country, I can move to someplace "where there is no personal freedom," let me say that I have no intention in living anywhere else. My personal freedom extends to my freedom to call idiocy by its real first name.

Ban me if you wish.

I don't think any banning would be necessary nor do you have to walk the plank. You raise some very good points. In fact I am glad I don't have a AK47 next to my bed because if I did my girlfriend would be short a very annoying cat.

I also think the point that Mr Brede raises about the country of contradictions. Even before I moved here for good, I was on a plane from San Fran to NYC that caught fire and had to make an emergency landing in Salt Lake City. Turned out it was just a bad insulation wire on a microwave oven but smoke was everywhere and people were really scared. You could literally hear a needle drop because surprisingly enough there were no panic, but when the plane landed and you saw the reception committee of fire engines you didn't feel too good.

So after landing and sliding down the slide I ran for the bar and ordered a beer and a shot of tequila. I was told that in Utah you can't have two drinks at the same time. They would still sell me both, but I would have to finish one before I would get served the other. It Kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it. Utah is a state I would not want to be stranded in.

RidgeRider

While the story is tragic and the underlying issue maybe of interest to fellow posters, this is inherently political and will only raise political debate . I am locking this thread.

Please go on an appropriate message board to discuss such issues. This is not the place.