watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Where do you stay when you go to London

Started by CincyFulham1, June 19, 2011, 06:05:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CincyFulham1

I just had my ryhming slang corrected by Finnster and I realized it's been 8 years since I've been to London.  For most of my life I was lucky enough to have friend I could rely on who would let me stay in a spare bedroom.  Unfortunatly he had a middle life crisis and married a girl who was described to me by his mother in a harsh tone as "young", and moved to Scotland.  So I am at this moment short one posh gaff in West London.  I don't need a five star hotel, and don't really want to pay for "extras" I don't need and won't use.  All I need is a clean room for the night because I won't be spending alot of the time sitting around the room. 

So if any one has any suggestions please let me know. 

clintclintdeuce

Ive stayed in hostels, with friends and in hotels when Im in for matches. I try jump a cheap flight to somewhere else in Europe in between matches sometimes as well.
The Dude abides.

Logicalman

Whenever we fly back home for a stay, spend the first and last nights at the Jury Inn (on the south side of the airport), very reasonable rates, and it's close to Hatton Cross tube (5 minute walk).

We did stay once at Barnards Lodge up Long Lane (near the A40 Western Ave junction) close to Hillingdon tube- it was quiet and clean, though a little cramped with a lot of stairs and no elevator, but it might do for a quick and cheap place - avoid eating in their restaurant though.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: Logicalman on June 19, 2011, 11:32:38 AM

Whenever we fly back home for a stay, spend the first and last nights at the Jury Inn (on the south side of the airport), very reasonable rates, and it's close to Hatton Cross tube (5 minute walk).

We did stay once at Barnards Lodge up Long Lane (near the A40 Western Ave junction) close to Hillingdon tube- it was quiet and clean, though a little cramped with a lot of stairs and no elevator, but it might do for a quick and cheap place - avoid eating in their restaurant though.
Very handy for Bill the Bakers as well, lovely roast spuds and hot pork, chicken etc rolls.

jarv

I usually stay with one of my old mates but he decided to move in with his girl friend (not sure if that is the right thing to call them our age) and rent out his flat. Now that leaves me homeless when I come over.

Just use the internet. A few years ago I brought my daughter with me and found some reasonable priced places right in the centre. Not really proper hotels, just big houses converted to B and B (or in some cases B).

Plenty of cafes, street fruit sellers etc. to grab some breakfast.

Search on places like Richmond, Earls Court, Wimbledon, Kensington etc.

clintclintdeuce

Ive stayed in a B&B in Earls Court, and it was average all around. Ive stayed in Stamford Brook which I liked. like to stay in Hammersmith. I stayed off Edgeware road once it was fantastic.
The Dude abides.

CincyFulham1

Quote from: jarv on June 20, 2011, 11:42:23 PM
I usually stay with one of my old mates but he decided to move in with his girl friend (not sure if that is the right thing to call them our age) and rent out his flat. Now that leaves me homeless when I come over.

Just use the internet. A few years ago I brought my daughter with me and found some reasonable priced places right in the centre. Not really proper hotels, just big houses converted to B and B (or in some cases B).

Plenty of cafes, street fruit sellers etc. to grab some breakfast
Search on places like Richmond, Earls Court, Wimbledon, Kensington etc.

I've found several of the converted house type in the westend in as you said Earls Court, Mayfair,ect.  Several seem decent so I don't think I'll have a problem finding a place to stay.  Just need find one reasonably close to a tubestation, get a ticket for my flight and put some cash on my oyster card.

jarv

Seriously. I think you can find somewhere modestly priced. Don't expect too much though. London is dragging itself into the 21st century. Some places even have en suite bathrooms now. :005:

CincyFulham1

Quote from: jarv on June 21, 2011, 04:27:59 AM
Seriously. I think you can find somewhere modestly priced. Don't expect too much though. London is dragging itself into the 21st century. Some places even have en suite bathrooms now. :005:

Now that you mention it I did see some with a shared bathroom.  I could use a little more information on that. 

Porkopolis

I've had good experiences at the Kensington House Hotel. Right off Kensington High Street and convenient to several Tube stops. The price isn't the lowest but it also won't break the bank.

FatFreddysCat

Personlly id give anywhere Sarf of the river a swerve.

Logicalman

Quote from: Porkopolis on June 21, 2011, 09:30:36 PM
I've had good experiences at the Kensington House Hotel. Right off Kensington High Street and convenient to several Tube stops. The price isn't the lowest but it also won't break the bank.

I hope we are still talking about places to stay in London!!  :011:  098.gif

Logicalman

If you get totally stuck, you might even consider the backpackers places .. ukhostels

finnster01

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on June 21, 2011, 11:21:17 PM

That is actually a very good shout
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Nick the Swede

Of course it is down to budget and geographical preference but these are the places I've stayed in (in recent years) on several occasions and would go back to if I find a good rate for the night in question:

• IBIS Earls Court
  • Premier Inn Putney Bridge
  • Swifthouse B&B (off Lillie Road in Earls Court) - cheapest rates in London?

All of the above are budget options but clean and great locatios in SW6.

Other places I've been in which are good but harder to get decent rates in are:
* Hilton on Park Lane
* Hilton Green Park
* Hilton Hyde Park
* Hilton Metropole
* Jurys Inn Ch*lsea Harbour (they did however skim my Amex card in reception, but the room was nice)
* Novotel Hammersmith

(* The Dorchester (you should be very lucky to get a good rate here, fantastic hotel though))

The list of places to avoid would be the longest though, stayed in so many dumps in London over the years!  :041:
-"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

CincyFulham1

Quote from: finnster01 on June 22, 2011, 11:59:44 AM
That is actually a very good shout

Believe me, I'm sticking to places in central and westend/southwest London.  I found a couple in what I guess would be the Docklands area, but I don't know anything about the area surrounding them.

The Equalizer

What makes you think you're even welcome South of the river? There's a big sign on Putney Bridge saying "No sausage lovers in Putney".  089.gif
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

FC Silver Fox

I stay with my parents down near Dorking.

If you're looking for a cheap hotel, you could look at PremierInn in Croydon, but its not in the centre of London. . Its only about £39 a night.   http://www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/CROCIT/croydon-west
There is also a Premier Inn near Putney Bridge Station. I looked at a price in September (Man City game weekend) and its £94 a night.  

I've used  www.booking.com  quite a bit across Europe and found that you can get some good deals. Worth checking.
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: FC Silver Fox on June 27, 2011, 05:02:51 PM
I stay with my parents down near Dorking.

If you're looking for a cheap hotel, you could look at PremierInn in Croydon, but its not in the centre of London. . Its only about £39 a night.   http://www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/CROCIT/croydon-west
There is also a Premier Inn near Putney Bridge Station. I looked at a price in September (Man City game weekend) and its £94 a night.  

I've used  www.booking.com  quite a bit across Europe and found that you can get some good deals. Worth checking.
Croydon SF  096.gig  ? I'd rather doss down in  shop front for the night. And EQ Putney welcomes me with open arms, i just tend to stick on the civilised side of the Thames

FC Silver Fox

Even as I was typing it, I knew you were going to reply something like that, Fredster.   :dft012:
ok, I agree that Croydon is pretty grotty, but Wimbledon and most points South are far nicer than North London.
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.