more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (26/06/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, June 26, 2011, 08:23:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Top 10 Questions Fulham Would Like Answered This Season

So, we have until next Thursday.  That's it.  And the season's back on.  And now that we've announced a friendly with AFC Wimbledon, we've certainly got our hands full with Fulham matches (which trust me, is NOT a bad thing).  So, as we approach another season, what would the club like to know? There were certainly many question marks heading into this offseason, and most of them haven't been answered.  So I figured I'd go over the Top 10 questions that Fulham would like (and most likely will) answered this throughout this season.  As you will see, many of these questions actually piggyback off one another and tie together.  That is, after all, what makes a team...well...a team.  And I would argue not many Premier League clubs embody the "team" concept as Fulham do.

10) Will Clint Dempsey leave for a Champions League team?

To me, I think the question should be more like WHEN will he leave, because he's earned it.  The question lies within whether he wishes to stay his career at Craven Cottage and become a Fulham legend.  He certainly has expressed interest in playing in the Champions League.  So will he leave? We'll have to find out.  It seems like right now at least, he's committed to the Fulham faithful.

Another thing to note about Dempsey: the poor guy has had to prove himself under every other new Fulham manager.  I can't see it happening AGAIN, but heck, it's possible.  I'm sure he's up to the challenge, he always is.  In fact, some have made the argument he's better under severe pressure like being removed from the lineup and having to prove himself again.  But let's hope for his sake he doesn't.  Also, don't take him not starting in the first few games as him being removed from the lineup.  The lineups are going to be a mess the first few matches with the weaker clubs up first.

9) What position is Moussa Dembele best fit for?

He scored 3 goals last season in 24 appearances.  3.  As a striker.  As Only LOLcats can put it...

So, where is Dembele fit for? He's certainly not the pure striker, but he does have the shooting ability.  That being said, it's obvious dribbling is his best attribute.  On his best day, he can weave through anyone's midfield on the attacking half of the middle third.  So, where is he best? Our central midfield is pretty solid as it is.  He could move to the wide areas, but I'm not sure that's where he's at his best.  So do you leave him at striker and sort of play a 4-5-1? This is a question Martin Jol will certainly have to answer to make Moussa Dembele effective.  We've already seen the mancrush Jol has for the Belgian....striker?

How many years left do Danny Murphy, Damien Duff, Mark Schwarzer,  Simon Davies, and Aaron Hughes have?

Many have speculated the end of an era at Fulham, marked by the decline of many of its senior but staple players on the pitch.  Aaron Hughes has been mostly left out of that conversation, as his play is still clearly at a high level, but he is also 31 going on 32 (the same age as Duff).  Danny Murphy has taken the most flak for his age, as many see his speed start to leave him.  But the man who Martin Jol cast away from Spurs has confirmed him as captain for the upcoming season (and rightly so), and it's clear he still commands respect in the Premier League.  But how much longer does he have before he will be ultimately forced to the bench, not able to withstand the grind of a full 90?  Is this his last year? Does Martin Jol not have to worry about a replacement for 2 or 3 years? Or will he be forced to sit him every few matches even this season?  It's something that can be argued over and over and over again between fans, and never come to a definite answer.  Ultimately, the solution will be found on the pitch.  And most likely, it won't be answered until it's too late.

That's where Martin Jol comes in.  He was hired to make decisions like this, and make them correctly.  His job is to predict the decline of these players before it happens.  That's why they pay him the big bucks.  And if he guesses wrong, he could be in for a fight.  Guess too early before he actually declines, and risk angering a Fulham staple (especially in the case of Danny Murphy).  Guess too late, and you have a skeleton on the pitch.  It's certainly something to keep an eye on.  Like I mentioned earlier in the post, many of these questions are linked.  You'll see the next 2 are following right in line with this at the core of the problem.

7) Can Martin Jol make Fulham younger?

Well, in short, duh, of course he can.  But the question lies in the effectiveness of the youth.  Can he get young talent for cheap?  Often, that's going to require him to get them before they hit the big stage, before they're fully ready for Premier League soccer.  So he's going to have to build through the youth.

Also, getting guys in the 27 range wouldn't hurt either.  However, he most likely would have to get cast aways who have failed with another club, and just need a change of scenery.  This isn't easy.  A lot of these guys have angered fan bases with their ineffective play and in turn that disdain has spread to the minds of other fans in the PL, so he may have to make unpopular decisions.  See how much harder this job is than you think? Jol has entered Fulham at a time of success but also a time of transition, and not a clear cut one.  I ask something of Fulham fans: give his decisions a chance.  If he pulls a guy from the lineup you like, give him time.  If he signs a guy you hate, give it a chance.  Then judge.  You never know what's in that crazy Dutch man's head.

6) Who is the goalie going forward?

Mark Schwarzer is old but still pretty darn good.  David Stockdale is untested and new to Jol but a fan favorite.  There are tons of other options out there.  What does he do?  Seems like Stockdale is going to get a chance to prove himself in the Europa League (one of the possible HUGE benefits to playing in Europe).  This is great.  He will get a first hand chance to show the new boss what he's capable of.  Stockdale actually was hurt greatly by Mark Hughes leaving.  While Hughes really liked Schwarzer, it seemed like he recognized the fact that a change was going to have to happen eventually.  And he really rated the young keeper.

Here's the dilemma if you don't already know: Mark Schwarzer is not only a staple at Fulham for a number of years now (which does mean something whether some fans like to admit it or not.  The Yankees HAVE to keep starting Derek Jeter even if he's garbage), but he's also still got a good amount left in the tank.  David Stockdale is really freakin good, but he's untested mostly at the top level.  Before you freak out at me saying he's untested, I don't care what you have to say.  A clean sheet against Bolton and a penalty stop against Manchester United is not "tested." 8 total Premier League appearances is untested, so sit back down.  The guy has yet to handle anything close to the rigors of a whole season in goal for a Premier League club.  The criticism, the scrutiny, the training; he hasn't faced it.  Ok I'll stop hating on Stockdale now.  Personally, I'd throw him in. The issue with not putting him in sooner or later is he'll get upset.  The guy knows he's good, and doesn't want to sit behind Mark Schwarzer forever.  Fulham could lose him.  And nobody wants that.

Now recently in the news, it's been reported that Cameroon goalie Carlos Kameni has been linked with Fulham.  I personally don't buy the rumors, but they've picked up steam recently.  Everything I've read says he's the best goalie Africa has to offer.  And while that's not really saying much to some, he's probably pretty darn good.  And in a day when goalies are relatively cheap, I could see why Jol would be tempted.  The question THEN lies in who leaves? If he brings in Kameni, he's not going to keep 3 top of the line goalkeepers.  He can't, even if he wanted to.  So does he say it's Schwarzer's time and cut him loose, effectively opening up the goalie spot wide open, possibly for an open competition between the two youngsters? Or does he say sorry David, you're place isn't Craven Cottage, and tab Kameni as Schwarzer's replacement when his time comes? I don't personally see how the second option makes much sense, considering Kameni's 27, so by the time Schwarzer runs out of steam, he could be pushing 30, plus the fanbase loves Stockdale, so it would be rough for them to see him go.

It's obviously not an easy one. Then again, none of these are.

5) Who exactly is this weird Dutch guy anyways?

Earlier this week I posted a writeup on Martin Jol by a Spurs blogger.  He spelled out what we can expect from Jol...or did he? Well, Jol has said he wants to play some pretty heavy attacking soccer.  And while that's all well and good for the fans, it puts a lot of pressure on a good number of people, namely the backs. So will Jol keep to his word? It will be interesting to see if he tests out a few new schemes right out of the gates against some relatively weaker opponents in the Europa League as well as the newly announced friendly against AFC Wimbledon.  They certainly provide a wonderful opportunity to run some trials.  Then again, does he want to send a shock wave through the club with a ton of new styles and schemes, or will he ease them in?

And ultimately, will Martin Jol mold his style to the club, or will he mold the club to his style?  That is the big question here.  The offseason has been a lot of talk and very little action, as usually is.  So come game time we'll have to see what exactly is in his head.  He's said multiple times he may have to "overhaul" the club, whatever that means.

4) Can Fulham actually do well on the road?

I have stated it before, and will again: stuff like this baffles me.  Sure, it's easier to win at home.  It's true in every sport.  Some sports have a bigger home field advantage than others.  In soccer, it's pretty big.  But gosh...Fulham has been SO bad on the road and SO good at home, to me, it's a head scratcher.  Just one of those weird anomolies in sports.  But nevertheless, it's been well documented that Fulham loves Craven Cottage and hates traveling.  Maybe Danny Murphy gets motion sickness? Who knows.  But it will be interesting to see if Martin Jol can turn the club from road woes to road warriors.

3) Will Martin Jol use Fulham as a stepping stone, just like everyone else?

Mark Hughes, Roy Hodgeson......Martin Jol? Seems like Fulham fans have recently been manager jaded, and now are expecting the worst.  It's like dating a few girlfriends who all cheat on you, and now you're all mental going into the next relationship.  There's not much to expand here, just the question that remains to be seen.  Jol said he wants to stay here for a while...well duh he said that.  What's he gonna say? "Oh hey guys I'm only here for a little while them I'm OUT y'all." Yeah...no.  That's what I like to call "coach-speak." It's an obvious statament from a member of management that tells us nothing.  It remains to be seen whether he reallyl wants to stay at Fulham for a while.  My gut would tell me he's telling the truth, but how many of our guts were wrong about Mark Hughes?

2) Can Martin Jol get enough bang for his buck?

One of the most important aspects for a Fulham manager.  He's not going to have the funds he had at Tottenham or Ajax or Hamburg.  Not even close.  So getting bang for his buck is going to be huge.  Moussa Dembele and Chris Smalling are perfect examples of this.  He needs to maximize the talent he can get for the money he spends.  And it's NOT easy, especially when making the transition from older to younger.  This one usually takes a few years to see how transfers play out before you finally know whether he was successful or not.

1) Which is more important to the players, the manager, and the fans: Europa League or Premier League?

To me, this is the number one question this year.  It's not one of the more talked about ones, but when you think about it, which is more important to you?

The Europa League run of 2 years ago was magical.  Everyone remembers it and will for the rest of their lives.  But when you think about it........1) they didn't win.  2) it was short term success 3) their Premier League standing did suffer.  So as memorable as it was, it was more short term than long term.  If Martin Jol really wishes to take Fulham to long term success, he needs to weigh his options.  If he can lock down a consistent 7th place finish in the Premier League, that would be something that fans of this club have never experienced before.  It's a heck of a long road, but ultimately would be more fruitful.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm actually not arguing for one side or the other in this dilemma.  I honestly don't know which one I'd rather have more success in.  Another Europa League run (possibly one ending in the club's first silverware) is certainly enticing.  I'm just playing devil's advocate.  I think it's a fair question, one that could go back and forth between two passionate fans holding a beer discussing fanhood things at a BBQ.  One that in the end really has no right answer.

But that's what makes sports so much fun, right? Questions without an answer.  And when you think about it, how many of these 10  questions have right answers? Well....if they did have such a clear cut right answer, they wouldn't be on this list would they?  That is why we watch the sport. That, my friends, is why they play the game.

http://fulhamsfinest.com/2011/06/25/top-10-questions-fulham-would-like-answered-this-season/

WhiteJC

Fulhamericana At The Gold Cup Final

In 2007, the United States defeated Mexico 2-1 in the Gold Cup Final at Soldier Field.

In 2009, Mexico defeated the United States 5-0 in the Gold Cup Final at Giant's Stadium.

In 2011... well, you get the picture.

Today, at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California, the two rivals will face off yet again in front of a sold-out crowd of over 95,000. Most will be wearing green and supporting El Tri, some (like myself) will be clad in red, white or blue, trying to make a bit of noise in support of a hometown team who may feel very, very far from home.

Fulham's Clint Dempsey and Carlos Salcido will be on opposite sides of the field, each an important part of their respective squads in this bitter rivalry.

And, despite the clear animosity between the two sides, the players took a moment to show that their bonds at Fulham still hold strong beyond their regional rivalry.

Both the United States and Mexico played their Gold Cup semifinal matches at Reliant Stadium in Houston on Wednesday. After securing victory to move on to the final, as fate would have it, the squads shared a chartered flight to California along with some selected media.

As relayed by a few reporters, the sides remained separate for the entire flight. Not openly hostile, but the typical camaraderie found between professionals was absent.

Except for between Dempsey and Salcido.

As relayed by Grant Wahl on Twitter:

Story from USA-Mexico shared plane: both sides kept apart, but Fulham teammates Dempsey/Salcido met at DMZ for a hug.

Perhaps I've used a bit of hyperbole here, and if you accused me of doing so I wouldn't have much of an argument against it.

But, for as tense and traditionally foul as the relationship between the two teams is, that Salcido and Dempsey took time to embrace one another under unfriendly terms is a very cool moment. Perhaps just a mutual sign of respect, but one that could have been made before or after the flight.

Instead, it was made in front of their teams, while, apparently, no similar embraces or cordialities occurred between others.

Salcido's status for the match is up in the air, having suffered a heel injury against Honduras. Still, it's hard to imagine he won't start. The only lingering question for Dempsey is where he will play.

Dempsey leads the U.S. with three goals in the tournament, but has spent much of his time on the left wing. He shifted over to play as a lone striker in the second half against Panama and was rewarded with a goal.

Kickoff is set for 6:00 Pacific Standard Time. The winner gets a big, shiny trophy and qualifies for the 2013 Confederations Cup.

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2011/6/25/2240815/fulhamericana-at-the-gold-cup-final?

WhiteJC

Kamara`s Off!
As was probably expected, Diomansy Kamara has left Craven Cottage.

The Senegalese forward has signed a three year deal to play for the Turkish side Eskisehirspor.

Kamara, despite the odd flash of genius, didn`t have the best of time sduringhis Fulham tenure but we`ll never forget his part in that wonderful away victoy against Manchester City that triggered the Great Escape.

Farewell Diomansy 'Joe` Kamara and good luck with your new club from all at Vital Fulham.

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=245364

WhiteJC

AFC Wimbledon Friendly

AFC Wimbledon have confirmed that they plan to host a Fulham side made up of 'some first teamers and some reserves' in a friendly on Saturday 9th July.

The tie will fit not so neatly between our First round 2nd leg tie and our potential second round Europa League games.

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2011/6/25/2243903/afc-wimbledon-friendly?

WhiteJC

A round of golf with Brian McBride
by DAN on JUNE 25, 2011

Lovely Chicago Tribune interview with former Fulham striker and all-round good guy Brian McBride, who has just launched his own football academy.

Among the interesting snippets are the fact that he has the highest regard for his first coach at Fulham, Chris Coleman:

A great communicator. He understood there was a time to have a laugh and a time to get serious.

What shines through in this short – and largely, non-football related – piece is the two qualities that really endeared McBride to the Craven Cottage faithful: optimism and determination. What I wouldn't give to still see him pull on the black and white shirt.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/06/a-round-of-golf-with-brian-mcbride/?

WhiteJC

McBride's optimism plays through
Even on golf course, former soccer star is encouraging, upbeat

Any story about Brian McBride requires a mention of his Chicago roots (he led Buffalo Grove High School to a state championship in 1988), the titanium plates that reinforce his eye sockets (thanks to his fearless headers around the goal) and what an absurdly nice person he is.

Even during a five-plus hour round at Kemper Lakes, which played like Carnage Lakes because of the strong and swirly winds that acted as a fence around some of the greens, he didn't get the slightest bit frustrated.

Our foursome played "Wolf," the best-ball game that calls for a rotating captain to either choose a partner or go solo. I was the lone wolf on the 377-yard 14th and scratched out a bogey.

McBride missed a 5-footer for par — and then the comebacker.

"Sorry, team," he said earnestly, even though his two teammates had been M.I.A. on the hole.

On No. 16, I pulled my iron approach. The shot was left, low and quite lame.

"Good ball flight, though," McBride said.

That's when it hit me: McBride is so encouraging, so upbeat, I want him to be my coach. Too bad I'm not a youth or teenage soccer player.

"It's better to be nice than all negative," said McBride, who opened McBride's Attacking Soccer Academy (mcbridesacademy.com) to help develop the next generation of goal scorers.

Among his favorite all-time coaches is Chris Coleman, the former manager of Fulham in England's Premier League.

"A great communicator," McBride said. "He understood there was a time to have a laugh and a time to get serious."

McBride takes that attitude to the golf course. He liberally rips on his game, responding to a compliment about a nice up-and-down on No. 6 by replying, "Thanks, but it was an up-and-up-and-down."

That sixth hole measured 170 yards with a back pin, and the wind howled in our faces. But McBride chose an 8-iron.

"He's an athlete," observed Greg LaBonar, a former high school soccer teammate of McBride's.

"Was an athlete," McBride replied.

McBride's father, Matt Jr., who played at Olympia Fields and sold ads for Golf Digest, introduced him to the game. But Brian said he "despised golf at the time. I probably had A.D.D. I spent 90 percent of my awake time as a kid running around."

His parents split when he was 3, and he was raised by mother Maddie, whose brother teaches golf in Omaha, Neb.

Brian is a member at Rolling Green, where last June he was beating his brother, Matt III, a low-80s shooter. But two of the holes were under water, and Matt III told him: "It's not an official round unless you play all 18."

A few days later he returned to complete those two holes, so his career-best 80 would be legit.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/golf/ct-spt-0626-18-holes-brian-mcbride--20110624,0,29766.column

WhiteJC

Fulham eye Ruffier bid
by DAN on JUNE 25, 2011

Much of the transfer talk over the past week or so has centred around whether Fulham might sign Carlos Kameni from Espanyol. Even if Pascal Zuberbuhler does make his expected move into coaching this summer, Fulham's goalkeeping options are pretty strong – indeed, perhaps as strong as they've ever been during our stay in the top flight. The on-off Kameni transfer, which has been mooted for more than a year, seems to have gone quiet for a little while and, if the French press are to be believed, Martin Jol has a new target in the form of Stéphane Ruffier.

The 24 year-old is set to leave Monaco this summer after their unsuccessful battle against relegation from Ligue 1. He's highly thought of across Europe having captained the club over the last year and made his international debut against Norway back in August. He gradually edged out the experienced Italian Flavio Roma to become the club's number one and kept his place in the side on the back of a strong run of clean sheets. Ruffier would meet Jol's ambition of signing exciting young prospects, but Fulham certainly won't be short of competitors for his signature.

Both Roma and Aston Villa have reportedly watched him over the course of the last season so it will be interesting to see where he ends up.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/06/fulham-eye-ruffier-bid/?

WhiteJC

SPURS MUST KEEP MODRIC, WARNS JOL

Fulham manager Martin Jol feels his old club Tottenham must hold on to Luka Modric if they want to challenge for a place back in the top four of the Barclays Premier League.

The 25-year-old Croatia international stunned Spurs by declaring he wants to leave White Hart Lane - and announcing Chelsea as his preferred destination.

However, Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy responded by claiming the midfielder is not for sale "at any price" to any club, with current boss Harry Redknapp stressing Spurs must show Modric they can match his ambition.

Jol was in charge at White Hart Lane from 2004 to 2007, and just missed out on Champions League qualification when they were overtaken by rivals Arsenal on the final day of the 2005-06 campaign.

The Dutchman saw star midfielder Michael Carrick sold to Manchester United that summer, and, shortly before his own departure, claimed he would "rather die" when it was suggested that Bulgaria striker Dimitar Berbatov would also go the same way.

Jol feels his old club must stand firm on the Modric situation if they are to challenge the likes of Manchester City and Liverpool for a place in the Champions League again.

"People always say if you sell Carrick or Berbatov, that you are a selling club. In Holland, it is a complement, but in England it is not," said Jol.

"If Spurs can keep Modric, it would be a big difference and give a good start if they want to be champions or in the top four."

Since being axed by Tottenham, Jol has enjoyed successful spells coaching at the top level in Germany with Hamburg and then in his native Holland at Ajax, who blocked his potential move to Fulham last summer.

The 55-year-old is comfortable with the fresh challenge which awaits on the banks of the Thames.

"For me it was a decision to make, to go back to the Bundesliga, but it had a lot to do with English football, and London. I am ambitious but not over-ambitious," said Jol.

"It all depends on what more rewarding means, because at Ajax they expect you within two years to be in the Champions League, and that is not what they target over here."

Jol may not have long before his first competitive fixture against NSI Runavik of the Faroe Islands on June 30 in the first qualifying round of the Europa League, but feels it will take some time to make his mark on an ageing Fulham squad.

"If you look at the team, it is an older team and they did very well in their own style, and I cannot change that overnight into Total Football with the style we play in Holland," Jol said.

"But in the next couple of months and years, we will try to do something.

"In our style, we have to get the results.

"I need results, but on the other hand want to play good attacking football in an organised way."

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/06/25/SOCCER_Fulham_Jol.html&TEAMHD=soccer&BID=165

WhiteJC

'SCHWARZENEGGER' JOL GLAD TO BE BACK'

Martin Jol intends to make an impact at Fulham, but knows nobody is expecting him to launch the west London club into the Champions League.

The 55-year-old former Tottenham boss was on Tuesday unveiled as Mark Hughes' successor at Craven Cottage, after the Welshman resigned at the end of the season.

Jol had spells coaching in Germany and his native Holland at Ajax, who blocked his potential move to Fulham last summer after being dismissed from White Hart Lane following three years at the helm in 2007.

The Dutch coach, however, understands success with his new club will be very much relative.

"Expectation is the same everywhere," said Jol, whose first game in charge will be a Europa League qualifier against NSI Runavik of the Faroe Islands on June 30.

"At Spurs we finished fifth twice and of course they wanted to be ambitious, so we had to tell everyone that we wanted to be in the top four and we were in that position for seven months of the season until the last game.

"However, that not does mean that you don't want to achieve a lot for the club.

"There is always one thing that is familiar and that is to make people happy, so I can only be satisfied when everyone around me are happy.

"I had a good look at the [fans website] forums and they expect us to do well, but they don't expect us to be in the Champions League."

Fulham rallied following a poor start under Hughes to finish in the top half of the Barclays Premier League, and also being handed a European campaign via the Fair Play table.

Jol sees no reason why he cannot look to emulate those achievements during his first season at the helm.

"We were eighth last season and hopefully we can get into the top 10 because four points could be the difference between seventh and 11th.

"With English players as a good base, hopefully we can do well."

Jol continued: "It is Premier League safety first, then you want to try to do well in the cups, because it has been a long time since Fulham played in a final.

"Hopefully we can do something there and also finish as high as possible in the league, to build a young team for the future."

While Jol admits the early timing of a European campaign is not ideal he hopes having a competitive fixture will add bite to the Cottagers' pre-season preparations.

"This is only the second or third time Fulham have been in Europe," said the former Hamburg boss.

"I could have said 'let's start (training) early in June', but I thought it was a bad idea. You could consider it a friendly game with a serious touch.

"We will get the information we need and do the preparation for the game.

"However, it is not a good combination the Europa League and Premier League, so we focus on the Premier League."

Jol is relishing his return to the English game, and insists it is not a case of unfinished business or any "hard feelings" towards his old employers at White Hart Lane.

"I have got a very good relationship with [Tottenham chairman] Daniel [Levy]," said the Dutchman.

"He looked after me, he always did. There's no hard feelings. Of course you'd like to stay - I would like to stay here for four, five years."

Jol has been linked with a raid on his former club for striker Robbie Keane.

While the Fulham boss refused to name possible transfer targets, Jol maintains he will need four or five new signings to complement what he feels is already a decent squad.

"It's a good squad, experienced players with a couple of young exciting players like [Moussa] Dembele who I know very well from Holland," he said.

"I will decide on the players in the next few weeks. Four or five left, so we need to make a couple of signings."

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/premiership/fulham/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/06/21/SOCCER_Fulham.html

WhiteJC

MARTIN JOL IS EYEING UP STEPHANE RUFFIER

MARTIN JOL is eyeing a bid for Monaco keeper Stephane Ruffier.

Martin Jol is after a new shot-stopper and is also keen on Espanyol's Carlos Kameni, 27.

But Ruffier, 24, is a cheaper option, having insisted he wants to quit the relegated French club. The French keeper is also being tracked by Roma.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/197901/Martin-Jol-is-eyeing-up-Stephane-Ruffier/?

WhiteJC

Carlos Shakes Off His Knock For The Dempsey-Salcido Duel
by LORK on JUNE 26, 2011

If you're bored this saturday evening/sunday morning two Fulham players on opposing sides are in action in the Gold Cup final, with Mexico and Fulham's Salcido shaking off an injury to take his regular left back slot and Dempsey with a tweak in position playing as the furthest forward striker for the US, joined by former Fulham favourite Bocanegra who slots in at centre half. Should be a hotly contested game and with an added Fulham interest it will be worth the watch if you have nothing to do for the next couple of hours. Kick off is at 2 AM GMT.

Teams in full:

—————–Chicharito—————–
—————-Dos Santos—————-
Guardado–Castro–Torrado–Barrera
Salcido–Marquez–Moreno–Juarez
——————-Talavera——————-

————————Dempsey————————
——-Donovan———Adu———Bedoya——-
——————Bradley——Jones——————
Lichaj—Bocanegra—Goodson—Cherundolo
————————–Howard————————–

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/06/carlos-shakes-off-his-knock-for-the-dempsey-salcido-duel/?

WhiteJC

MARTIN JOL: AJAX NOT AS BIG AS FULHAM

MARTIN JOL breezed back to London as Fulham's new manager knowing that he has returned to a land where cash is king.

Even though Martin Jol's former club Ajax is one of the continent's most successful, with four European Cups to its credit, Jol believes Fulham are actually a bigger club when it comes to financial pulling power.

"Ajax have more than 50,000 at home games but it's not hard to compete with clubs in Holland because the budgets are not that high," he said.

"Here the television money is higher, and if I want a player and Ajax want the same player, he will probably come to Fulham."

But Jol is also well aware that he and Fulham – and any other club for that matter – can't hope to compete with Manchester City in the cash league.

"They have owners who are very rich," the Dutchman added.

"When I was in charge at Hamburg one of my best players, Nigel de Jong, went to City for £18million ... unbelievable.

"They put in offers for my club's strikers and you realised they can probably buy any player in the world."

http://www.express.co.uk/football/view/255098/Martin-Jol-Ajax-not-as-big-as-Fulham-?

WhiteJC

Jol eyes ambitious move for Jeffren
by DAN on JUNE 26, 2011

The Daily Star carries an exciting piece about a possible Fulham bid for young Barcelona forward Jeffren.

Jeffren, who starred in Spain's successful European Under-21 championship campaign, is surplus to requirements at Barcelona and will be moving on this summer. Jol has already spoken at length about his plans to bring down the average age of the Fulham squad and sign promising players for the future. He will face stiff competition for the 23 year-old's signature, however, with Liverpool known to be keen on signing the Spaniard.

Jeffren is currently considering his next month having turned down the chance to join Udinese as part of a swap deal for the coveted Alexis Sanchez. He has featured on the Barcelona bench over the past couple of seasons but has been told by Pep Guardiola that he won't be breaking into the first team. Splashing £7m on a Barca prospect really would be a statement of intent from Jol.

Dave Kidd's report also concludes with another link to Mounir El-Hamdaoui, although this time with an increased fee of £8million, which seems very steep.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/06/jol-eyes-ambitious-move-for-jeffren/?

WhiteJC

Fulham have Harris bid rejected
by DAN on JUNE 26, 2011

Fulham have failed with a £500,000 bid for Wycombe starlet Kadeem Harris, according to the News of the World.

Martin Jol is ready to test Wycombe's resolve to hold onto their teenage midfielder by returning with a second offer of £750,000. Fulham are keen to tie up a deal for the 18 year-old as they are aware of interest from Tottenham and West Ham amongst others.

Harris is Wycombe's youngest ever player having made his Wanderers debut at the age of just 16 and 201 days, coming on as a substitute against Yeovil in December 2009. Despite his obvious talent, Harris has found breaking into the Wycombe first team difficult. He has starred for the youth and reserve sides and his development was rewarded with a professional contract in April. Harris was also named the League Two Apprentice of the Year by the Football League this year.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/06/fulham-have-harris-bid-rejected/?

WhiteJC

Leicester want AJ for £2.5m
by DAN on JUNE 26, 2011

Tucked away at the bottom of this People piece linking David Nugent with Leicester City is a suggestion that the Foxes are about to bid £2.5m for Andy Johnson.

Should Fulham sign a couple of forwards during the close season then Johnson may find himself surplus to requirements at Craven Cottage, something that would be harsh on the former Everton striker given the impressive way he ended the last campaign. QPR are known to be keen on signing the one-time England international, although their previous interest appeared to have stalled once Fulham suggested the asking price would be closer to £4m. For that reason, I'd be surprised to see AJ depart for such a cut-price fee.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/06/leicester-want-aj-for-2-5m/?

WhiteJC

Liverpool to battle Fulham for Barca forward

A full version of this story appears in today's People. Read it online at People.co.uk

Martin Jol is planning a bold move to bring £7million-rated Barcelona forward Jeffren to Fulham.

Jeffren, one of the stars of Spain's progress to last night's Euro Under-21 Championship final, is being offloaded by Barca this summer.

Jol wants to inject youth and pace into an ageing Fulham side and sees 23-year-old Jeffren as the ideal acquisition.

Yet the Dutchman knows he will face some serious rivals – Liverpool included.

Read the full version of this story at People.co.uk

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Liverpool-to-battle-Fulham-for-Barcelona-forward-Jeffren-article752418.html#ixzz1QMlIEpuo

WhiteJC

Barcelona striker Jeffren on Fulham radar

Martin JOL is planning a bold move to bring £7million-rated Barcelona forward Jeffren to Fulham.

Jeffren, one of the stars of Spain's progress to last night's Euro Under-21 Championship final, is being offloaded by Barca this summer. Jol wants to inject youth and pace into an ageing Fulham side and sees 23-year-old Jeffren as the ideal acquisition.

Yet the Dutchman knows he will face some serious rivals – Liverpool included.

Jeffren turned down a swap deal which would have taken him to Champions League new boys Udinese, with Alexis Sanchez moving in the opposite direction.

He has been a regular on Barca's bench but has been told he will never be a first choice with the European champions.

Jol is also hopeful of signing his former Ajax striker Mounir El Hamdaoui, an £8m-rated Moroccan international.

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/football-hotline/2011/06/26/barcelona-striker-jeffren-on-fulham-radar-102039-23226876/

WhiteJC

Mexico fightback stuns States
by DAN on JUNE 26, 2011

Mexico won their second successive Gold Cup last night, coming back from 2-0 to beat the USA 4-2 in the final.

The Americans looked well in control in the early stages and stormed into an early two-goal lead. Michael Bradley put them ahead with an eighth minute header from Freddy Adu's corner and Landon Donovan, teed up by Clint Dempsey, made it two midway through the first half. But Pablo Barrera put Mexico back in the game six minutes later with a crisp finish from the edge of the area and Andres Guardado equalised in the 36th minute, reacting quickest after Giovani Dos Santos' shot deflected off Eric Lichaj and left Tim Howard, who had not conceded a goal in 351 minutes prior to Barrera's strike, stranded.

Barrera scored against just after the break – and after the Americans spurned a couple of good chances to equalise – Dos Santos sealed the victory with an impudent chip. The bad news for Fulham was that Carlos Salcido, having been passed fit for the final, had to go off injured during the first half. The defender was still in a buoyant mood afterwards, however:

It was a beautiful final and luckily we were able to finish it off with a victory. We wanted it. We'd been working hard for it all tournament long, and how great that we reached our goal in the end.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/06/mexico-fightback-stuns-states/?

White Noise

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/golf/ct-spt-0626-18-holes-brian-mcbride--20110624,0,29766.column

McBride's optimism plays through

Even on golf course, former soccer star is encouraging, upbeat

Teddy Greenstein

1:17 p.m. CDT, June 25, 2011

Any story about Brian McBride requires a mention of his Chicago roots (he led Buffalo Grove High School to a state championship in 1988), the titanium plates that reinforce his eye sockets (thanks to his fearless headers around the goal) and what an absurdly nice person he is.

Even during a five-plus hour round at Kemper Lakes, which played like Carnage Lakes because of the strong and swirly winds that acted as a fence around some of the greens, he didn't get the slightest bit frustrated.

Our foursome played "Wolf," the best-ball game that calls for a rotating captain to either choose a partner or go solo. I was the lone wolf on the 377-yard 14th and scratched out a bogey.

McBride missed a 5-footer for par — and then the comebacker.

"Sorry, team," he said earnestly, even though his two teammates had been M.I.A. on the hole.

On No. 16, I pulled my iron approach. The shot was left, low and quite lame.

"Good ball flight, though," McBride said.

That's when it hit me: McBride is so encouraging, so upbeat, I want him to be my coach. Too bad I'm not a youth or teenage soccer player.

"It's better to be nice than all negative," said McBride, who opened McBride's Attacking Soccer Academy (mcbridesacademy.com) to help develop the next generation of goal scorers.

Among his favorite all-time coaches is Chris Coleman, the former manager of Fulham in England's Premier League.

"A great communicator," McBride said. "He understood there was a time to have a laugh and a time to get serious."

McBride takes that attitude to the golf course. He liberally rips on his game, responding to a compliment about a nice up-and-down on No. 6 by replying, "Thanks, but it was an up-and-up-and-down."

That sixth hole measured 170 yards with a back pin, and the wind howled in our faces. But McBride chose an 8-iron.

"He's an athlete," observed Greg LaBonar, a former high school soccer teammate of McBride's.

"Was an athlete," McBride replied.

McBride's father, Matt Jr., who played at Olympia Fields and sold ads for Golf Digest, introduced him to the game. But Brian said he "despised golf at the time. I probably had A.D.D. I spent 90 percent of my awake time as a kid running around."

His parents split when he was 3, and he was raised by mother Maddie, whose brother teaches golf in Omaha, Neb.

Brian is a member at Rolling Green, where last June he was beating his brother, Matt III, a low-80s shooter. But two of the holes were under water, and Matt III told him: "It's not an official round unless you play all 18."

A few days later he returned to complete those two holes, so his career-best 80 would be legit.

McBride, 38, was my teammate on the first hole, and he won it for us with a bogey. I went in for a bump but walked off with a high-five.

"Not a fist guy," he said.

McBride generally favored low-key celebrations after goals, kissing his ring for wife Dina and making the sign of the cross. While playing in Kansas City in 1996 for the MLS' Columbus Crew, he mimicked defensive end Neil Smith's sack celebration — swinging a pretend baseball bat. That effort fell flat.

McBride found the net 30 times for the USA Men's National Team and 145 more as a professional, but cockiness never suited him.

After LaBonar recalled how McBride predicted his team would win the state title before a junior English class at Buffalo Grove, McBride responded: "That doesn't sound like me."

No, but McBride does impressions, so he sometimes sounds like a generic Irish/Scottish/English futbol announcer, "Borat" or Arnold Schwarzenegger.

And his stories are self-deprecating. In 2000, he played in the celebrity "Fairway to Heaven" Pro-Am in Las Vegas.

Partner and tour pro Rich Beem let him try his Callaway driver that was so new, it had not hit the market. McBride swung as hard as he could, and the head came flying off.

Beem, on his cell phone, looked over and said: "Gotta go."

"Please tell me you have another one," McBride told Beem.

Nope.

During our round, McBride's embarrassing moment came after he missed a short putt we all expected to fall.

"Justin Bieber was right," he said. "Never say never."

We all looked at him quizzically.

"Hey," he replied, "I have three daughters!"

[email protected]

Twitter @TeddyGreenstein

White Noise

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/five-come-alive-as-bosses-wheel-of-fortune-takes-a-turn-for-the-better-2302991.html

Martin Jol (Fulham)

Background Played for two Dutch clubs and Bayern Munich, then in England for West Bromwich and Coventry. Coached in Holland for 13 years, then took Spurs to fifth place before being sacked and replaced by Juande Ramos. Helped Hamburg to fifth place, won the Dutch Cup with Ajax and finished one point behind Steve McClaren's Twente for the title. Resigned last December with Ajax fourth.

Qualities Good experience of English football, committed to attacking play, with a fair record in the transfer market.

Targets Staying comfortably in the Premier League and improving a poor record in domestic cups.

Funds Mohamed Al Fayed pays good wages but tends not to push the boat out for transfers.

What he says "If you look at the team, it is an older team and they did very well in their own style, and I cannot change that overnight into Total Football. I need results, but I want to play good, attacking football in an organised way."

Verdict Must have realistic expectations at an overachieving club. Can make them more attractive but probably not more successful.