watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The "How can Kenny Achampong be 45 years old" / Happy birthday Kenny thread

Started by LBNo11, June 26, 2011, 01:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBNo11

...blimey, I now feel old, Kenny Achampong is 45 years old today, that evening game when he made his debut, scored a goal, a few days later then scored two and we all thought we had a wonderkid! So much potential never reached. Nevertheless, thank you for the days and Happy Birthday Pongo...

Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Lighthouse

Achampong would be our greatest ever player. He would play for England one day. If we could keep hold of him he would delight us for years. People would rememeber him in the same breath as Marsh and Best and all the greats.

Oh well, just a few more things I was wrong about. But he was a player worth going to see for a short time. A player whose true potential was never realised.

Happy Birthday to a player who could have been great.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Admin

I'm going back here but didn't he have a row with Ray Lewington once and walk off during a match at home?

SouthfieldWhite

Good skilful player but worst headerer(is that even a word?) of a ball I've ever seen, happy birthday kenny

CULTUREVULTURE

I once rode to a game on the District Line with Kenny. He was very approachable, affable and happy to talk. But he was fabulously indiscrete. This was on the day that Jimmy Hill took over the club and we played Chesterfield (Happy Days Are Here Again). He told me hown he wanted to go and play in the indoor league in the US and that he didn't like or rate Ray Lewington. Fair enough if that's how he felt but he really shouldn't have been sharing these thoughts with a 19 year old fan he's just met on a tube train.

But just looking at him as a player. It's a shame he didn't emerge a couple of years earlier so he could have been part of the MacDonald side. He  was a hugely talented player who had the misfortune to emerge into a side that was already being asset stripped my Ernie Clay.

Football is full of "wht ifs" and Kenny is a classic example.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: CULTUREVULTURE on June 26, 2011, 06:56:14 PM
I once rode to a game on the District Line with Kenny. He was very approachable, affable and happy to talk. But he was fabulously indiscrete. This was on the day that Jimmy Hill took over the club and we played Chesterfield (Happy Days Are Here Again). He told me hown he wanted to go and play in the indoor league in the US and that he didn't like or rate Ray Lewington. Fair enough if that's how he felt but he really shouldn't have been sharing these thoughts with a 19 year old fan he's just met on a tube train.

But just looking at him as a player. It's a shame he didn't emerge a couple of years earlier so he could have been part of the MacDonald side. He  was a hugely talented player who had the misfortune to emerge into a side that was already being asset stripped my Ernie Clay.

I saw him outside of Walsalls old ground in a gaame he didn't play in. When we asked why he let rip about Jimmy Hill. Sure i read something not long ago he lives in North London (Holloway rd) but cant remember what he's up to
To be fair he probably wasn't all that, but just had a bit of skill in a very poor side so stood out a bit. Perhaps a  bit of the Collins John about him?

CULTUREVULTURE

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on June 26, 2011, 07:10:31 PM
Quote from: CULTUREVULTURE on June 26, 2011, 06:56:14 PM

I saw him outside of Walsalls old ground in a gaame he didn't play in. When we asked why he let rip about Jimmy Hill. Sure i read something not long ago he lives in North London (Holloway rd) but cant remember what he's up to
To be fair he probably wasn't all that, but just had a bit of skill in a very poor side so stood out a bit. Perhaps a  bit of the Collins John about him?

Spot on. A classic case of youthful naiveity. But we'll never know how he would have developed in a better side where there wasn't a huge pressure/expectation on his shoulders.

Travers Barney

Bored people on here enough times I know but my abiding memory of the real King Kenny was the nonchelant little back heel that set up our second goal at Ninian Park way back yonder.........Chelsea had smashed up the ground the week before and Fulham inflicted further pain with a 2-0 victory........might wear my 'Kenny Achampong Kilburns finest ever Fulham player t shirt on Thursday by way of celebration for the great mans birthday.

Wonder wear he is now.

We are the whites
We are the whites

Travers Barney

We are the whites

mr-ska

awwwwww Kenny kenny...    Kenny Kenny kenny kenny ACH am PONG....

Travers Barney

We are the whites

MOR :

Chesh

I remember he had this unique type of shuffle with both  feet he used to get past players from an almost standing start, normally on the touchline before getting a cross in.

Made in Hammersmith (1968)

keith

Made his debut against, i think,Oxford, then played a blinder the next Saturday against,i think, Carlisle.

nose

I loved him, but ended up as 'what a waste of talent', I don't know what went wrong but he should have been one of the best ever.

filham

Quote from: Lighthouse on June 26, 2011, 01:17:59 PM
Achampong would be our greatest ever player. He would play for England one day. If we could keep hold of him he would delight us for years. People would rememeber him in the same breath as Marsh and Best and all the greats.

Oh well, just a few more things I was wrong about. But he was a player worth going to see for a short time. A player whose true potential was never realised.

Happy Birthday to a player who could have been great.
I too saw Achampong in that light and it remains a mystery to me to this day why he never made the grade, he had so much talent.
Surely there must have been some neglect by our management/coaching staff in not controlling such a promising young player.
Happy Birthday Kenny.

Travers Barney

From what I have been told and has been documented he became disinfranchised (you know what i mean) with the tactics of the management at the club....went to a fans forum at walton casuals recently where ray lew was one of the speakers with that jonathan pearce and TG and was gonna ask RL his opinion of our King Kenny but people were far more interested in hearing about how Roy would perform as our national manager.

Add to the above the general thuggery at the time when kenny was plying his trade as they say meant that players as gifted as him were not allowed to flourish...might wear my 100% kilburns finest ffc player in recognition of the great man tomorrow.

the umbro shirt in the pic...does it get much better?

stupid question

coyw
We are the whites

Travers Barney

According to Dembele's wikepedia thingimyjig our current 1st team Manager reckons Moussa (the glider...oh how beautiful was he) is the best player he  (MJ) has ever seen.....(of course i am aware of the different levels fofers) but imagine what he would have made of pongo?

coyw
We are the whites

Travers Barney

Nice article about him in the match day programme yesterday...his lad is training at Fulham.....apparently he's more talented than the real King Kenny...the boy must be good.

coyw
We are the whites

domprague

You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.