watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

A bit of top level computer advise please . EQ, White JC, Admin or even the Bel

Started by FatFreddysCat, June 26, 2011, 08:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatFreddysCat

Just a very far off thought, but if you google Howards estate agents Lowestoft, look at the added photo's etc, how much would it cost to set up a site like that ? that would be hiring someone to do the whole set up obviously as i wouldn't have a clue. Also what would be the ongoing charges if any? Thanks in advance.

FatFreddysCat

finnster01

Mr Freddy,
First you would need to change your signature to Beer, Sausages & Real Estate :58:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: finnster01 on June 26, 2011, 09:02:50 PM
Mr Freddy,
First you would need to change your signature to Beer, Sausages & Real Estate :58:

Whose making money on real estate in Spain at the moment it would be madness , oops Spain  :doh: Just a little idea i've had, never seen it in Spain or anywhere else to be honest, not in a position to do it now, but would like to see if it's possible.

FatFreddysCat

A little :bump:  so it dosen't get missed by our computer experts. Goodnight all. :038:

sipwell

Having built a website myself, I can tell you that this is a rather complicated website to build if you have no clue how to build one. You have to know PHP coding for all the actual houses for rent and for sale have to be put in a database. You will probably find templates on the internet (for which you have to pay if you want it to look decent) but you will still have to know PHP to list the actual real estate on your website (and pictures and such). PHP is a program that links a database to your actual website (so people can browse it). People spent years in school to actually learn it. It is not as easy as it looks...
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

luckykat

I have a number of websites. There are many wordpress templates for estate agents - I have one from www.studiopress.com which is better than your example. The cost is shown on that site. You can find cheaper ones - try links from www.estateagencynews.co.uk. Ongoing costs would be the hosting (it's very easy to update the site, no knowledge required); cheapest hosting is in the USA (try hostgator.com) but if you use a dot com domain host it in the UK otherwise you will struggle to do well in the UK search pages.

Don't want to argue with sipwell, but you don't need to know php coding to create or update the site.

sipwell

Quote from: luckykat on June 27, 2011, 08:53:01 AM
I have a number of websites. There are many wordpress templates for estate agents - I have one from www.studiopress.com which is better than your example. The cost is shown on that site. You can find cheaper ones - try links from www.estateagencynews.co.uk. Ongoing costs would be the hosting (it's very easy to update the site, no knowledge required); cheapest hosting is in the USA (try hostgator.com) but if you use a dot com domain host it in the UK otherwise you will struggle to do well in the UK search pages.

Don't want to argue with sipwell, but you don't need to know php coding to create or update the site.

With wordpress you indeed don't need to know PHP. Then again, the example Freddy showed did use PHP and not wordpress. I dislike wordpress because, either way you look at it, the feel of a blog remains.

luckykat

Quote from: sipwell on June 27, 2011, 08:58:21 AM
With wordpress you indeed don't need to know PHP. Then again, the example Freddy showed did use PHP and not wordpress. I dislike wordpress because, either way you look at it, the feel of a blog remains.
I agree that most people use wordpress for blogs, but you can get templates now that certainly aren't blog like. And wordpress is almost as easy to use as Microsoft Office Word. I don't want to start a war, but if you look at the source code of that site it is html and not php, and is probably wordpress! Anyway, the point is that Freddie could get a good looking wordpress template quite cheaply and could do the work himself rather than pay an arm and a leg getting someone else to do the job.

sipwell

Quote from: luckykat on June 27, 2011, 09:18:20 AM
Quote from: sipwell on June 27, 2011, 08:58:21 AM
I agree that most people use wordpress for blogs, but you can get templates now that certainly aren't blog like. And wordpress is almost as easy to use as Microsoft Office Word. I don't want to start a war, but if you look at the source code of that site it is html and not php, and is probably wordpress! Anyway, the point is that Freddie could get a good looking wordpress template quite cheaply and could do the work himself rather than pay an arm and a leg getting someone else to do the job.

The databases are PHP (even the source code indicates as much). No discussion there.

I don't argue with the fact that wordpress is easier though and for Freddy indeed a better, cheaper and easier option. The example you show however remains very "bloggy" (it even makes use of the typical blog "tags" which you don't find on a website as such). That is not a criticism of your suggestion though (with which I agree) but a personal opinion.

luckykat

Quote from: sipwell on June 27, 2011, 09:23:50 AM
The databases are PHP (even the source code indicates as much). No discussion there.

I don't argue with the fact that wordpress is easier though and for Freddy indeed a better, cheaper and easier option. The example you show however remains very "bloggy" (it even makes use of the typical blog "tags" which you don't find on a website as such). That is not a criticism of your suggestion though (with which I agree) but a personal opinion.

Agree the databases are php but no knowledge of php is required to update them (which was really my point - to show Freedie he could do it himself, not trying to score points  :003:). All wordpress sites have php databases running in the background. The example is very flexible and it is straightforward to remove the 'bloggy' bits. I own the domain homefinders.co.uk but don't have the time to set up and run the business. The best offer I have received for the domain is £10k, so if you want to improve on that Freedie...!

The last time I looked it would cost about £300-350 for a custom designed estate agent's site from one of the links from estateagencynews.co.uk.

The Equalizer

"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

CorkedHat

Quote from: The Equalizer on June 27, 2011, 10:37:39 AM
All this web claptrap is gobbledigook even to me!

I bet Fred is having a ball with this thread. Clear as mud, if you ask me.
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

WhiteJC

these types of websites are typically database driven, i.e. you enter you "house" details which is then displayed. The reason for using a database is that you want to be able to change/remove or add new properties on a regular basis.

what the public see on the website is only half of the system.

if you can get a working custom designed estate agents site for £350, take it, I do this for a living (build web sites) and I would want a minimum of £3K to build that sort of site

Blingo

Fredster, you can make good money selling spanish properties right now, because you are selling bargains to dreamers m8.

The other point to mention is that Estate Agents (Inmobilarios) over here, charge the seller 5%.

White Noise

Can anyone recommend messageboard/forum software packages that are cheap and easy to use and also email newsletter packages that follow the same requirements?

WhiteJC

Quote from: White Noise on June 27, 2011, 11:15:50 AM
Can anyone recommend messageboard/forum software packages that are cheap and easy to use and also email newsletter packages that follow the same requirements?

SMF is the package used for this forum, its free and quite easy to setup

as for email newsletter systems it depends on a number of things such as, how many subscribers (emails to be sent) how often (monthly, weekly etc.) do you want to host it yourself or do you want to use a 'service' that allows you to create your email list, make a newsletter and then send them. you might not want to send lots of emails from your own website as some hosting companies get a bit sniffy about it.

a commercial, reasonably priced, 'create and send' option would be www.simplycast.com.
if you want to send from your own website/database then this is OK software www.webassist.com/php-scripts-and-solutions/powermessenger/

if you want any more details pm me

sipwell

MJG

Quote from: Blingo on June 27, 2011, 11:12:02 AM
Fredster, you can make good money selling spanish properties right now, because you are selling bargains to dreamers m8.

The other point to mention is that Estate Agents (Inmobilarios) over here, charge the seller 5%.
I would agree with that figure, I have had a job offer from a couple of agents to go and move to spain and work for them and they charge a min 3K+Euros.

Off subject slightly and aimed at our spansih residents, should I take the plunge and move over? Its the south Costa Blanca area.

Blingo

Be very and I mean VERY careful MJG. There are more sharks out of the water here than there are in it. Do LOTS of research first. Will they help you with your NIE? Provide a work contract? A basic plus comms? A co car?
You need to check all of this out AND have an exit strategy in case it does not work out m8.