https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

A bit of top level computer advise please . EQ, White JC, Admin or even the Bel

Started by FatFreddysCat, June 26, 2011, 08:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: MJG on June 27, 2011, 01:07:54 PM
Quote from: Blingo on June 27, 2011, 11:12:02 AM
Fredster, you can make good money selling spanish properties right now, because you are selling bargains to dreamers m8.

The other point to mention is that Estate Agents (Inmobilarios) over here, charge the seller 5%.
I would agree with that figure, I have had a job offer from a couple of agents to go and move to spain and work for them and they charge a min 3K+Euros.

Off subject slightly and aimed at our spansih residents, should I take the plunge and move over? Its the south Costa Blanca area.
Have you checked out the Torrevieja Forums MJG? I'd guess it would be somewhere around there, aand you get a lot of info on it. When i go over it will be about 20 miles from Torry, they have a local team as well with a quite large expat following.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: CorkedHat on June 27, 2011, 11:05:28 AM
Quote from: The Equalizer on June 27, 2011, 10:37:39 AM
All this web claptrap is gobbledigook even to me!

I bet Fred is having a ball with this thread. Clear as mud, if you ask me.
Ah yes i get where they're coming from :035: . £3k WJC? might just give you a tinkle in a few years time.

MJG

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on June 27, 2011, 07:46:31 PM
Fredster, you can make good money selling spanish properties right now, because you are selling bargains to dreamers m8.

The other point to mention is that Estate Agents (Inmobilarios) over here, charge the seller 5%.
I would agree with that figure, I have had a job offer from a couple of agents to go and move to spain and work for them and they charge a min 3K+Euros.

Off subject slightly and aimed at our spansih residents, should I take the plunge and move over? Its the south Costa Blanca area.
Have you checked out the Torrevieja Forums MJG? I'd guess it would be somewhere around there, aand you get a lot of info on it. When i go over it will be about 20 miles from Torry, they have a local team as well with a quite large expat following.
cheers, yes its just south of there i'll be based if I do go. I'm on a couple of local forums and have got quite a bit of info from them. I have gone to the same area a few times over the last few years so have a good idea on what's going on.
I have seen Torrevieja play a couple of times and its been a good crack, even if the football is not the best standard.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: MJG on June 27, 2011, 07:56:32 PM
Quote from: FatFreddysCat on June 27, 2011, 07:46:31 PM

cheers, yes its just south of there i'll be based if I do go. I'm on a couple of local forums and have got quite a bit of info from them. I have gone to the same area a few times over the last few years so have a good idea on what's going on.
I have seen Torrevieja play a couple of times and its been a good crack, even if the football is not the best standard.
Ah think i've seen your Fulham badge on there. I stayed in a lovely duplex  3 bed apartment with a lovely roof terrace in the Bellavista complex in Cabo Roig/Riog??  Not a bad neck of the woods  :54:

Logicalman

Fred,

WJC is perfectly correct in his response, if you know nothing about website creation, and that includes the coding, then don't touch it, unless you want to sit through hours of tutorials. Get a professional (and I do mean a REAL professional who does this for a living) to do it for you, for which you'll have to pay a reasonable whack.

If you're into trying things out for yourself, there are a number of free hosting/creation sites out there, example would be Office Live Small Business, from Microsoft. This allows small business, such as your own, to register and then have access to one of their small business servers to create your own website. It provides page templates, blogs, email, contact pages, etc. These are the easiest to use for the DIY enthusiast that doesn't have the time or the tools to create their own, more extensive site. The one drawback is that if you attempt to compare one of these to the more professional sites out there, then you would be disappointed. Such sites use (generally) either MySQL or MSSQL as their data storage facility.

If you want to go the whole hog and look at creating your own from the ground up (using MS VS, Adobe Fireworks or Dreamweaver) then you will need to bone up on a little programming knowledge. Web hosting sites such as GoDaddy (the one I use) are a reasonable option for small - medium sized sites, and you can register and maintain your domain there.

Knowing you as I do though, the thought of letting you loose on anything more than notepad scares the poop out of me, so call WJC when you need one built mate - my costs would be too high!!

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: Logicalman on June 28, 2011, 05:32:04 PM

Fred,

WJC is perfectly correct in his response, if you know nothing about website creation, and that includes the coding, then don't touch it, unless you want to sit through hours of tutorials. Get a professional (and I do mean a REAL professional who does this for a living) to do it for you, for which you'll have to pay a reasonable whack.

If you're into trying things out for yourself, there are a number of free hosting/creation sites out there, example would be Office Live Small Business, from Microsoft. This allows small business, such as your own, to register and then have access to one of their small business servers to create your own website. It provides page templates, blogs, email, contact pages, etc. These are the easiest to use for the DIY enthusiast that doesn't have the time or the tools to create their own, more extensive site. The one drawback is that if you attempt to compare one of these to the more professional sites out there, then you would be disappointed. Such sites use (generally) either MySQL or MSSQL as their data storage facility.

If you want to go the whole hog and look at creating your own from the ground up (using MS VS, Adobe Fireworks or Dreamweaver) then you will need to bone up on a little programming knowledge. Web hosting sites such as GoDaddy (the one I use) are a reasonable option for small - medium sized sites, and you can register and maintain your domain there.

Knowing you as I do though, the thought of letting you loose on anything more than notepad scares the poop out of me, so call WJC when you need one built mate - my costs would be too high!!

Cheers LM, but i wouldn't even dream of trying to do it myself, and if i was going to have it done i'd want a top drawer site, and to be honest i'd thought of a 15k budget for the site and loads of initial advertising and i'd allowed for more than £3k for the site. And at the moment i have no idea what notepad is :doh:. Anyhow a good few years untill this might come off so plenty of time to start having computer lessons.

FatFreddysCat

The JB French property website is actually nearer to the site i'd like than the Howards one.

luckykat

Freddie,

Only you know your capabilities, I don't. Wordpress is FREE and it would cost you nothing to at least try it. There are many free templates as well which you could try just to see if you are up to it. It's easy, I'm 67 and build my own websites; I have no technical knowledge or training. Please don't buy Dreamweaver, it's expensive and yesterday's method; and a nightmare to link to a database. If you want a copy you can have mine.

Whoever builds your site, if your site is aimed at the Spanish market (by which I mean visitors to your site live in Spain) don't buy a .com domain unless you host it in Spain. If your site's visitors are in the UK, host a dot.com in the UK but a co.uk site can be hosted anywhere. The reason is the way search engines treat the different domains in the local pages.

If you are not managing the properties but just advertising them (like Rightmove does for houses), a wordpress site can be set up so the owners manage their own pages, saving you a lot of work. I set one up (villafinders) and sold it a few years ago.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: luckykat on June 28, 2011, 06:13:33 PM
Freddie,

Only you know your capabilities, I don't. Wordpress is FREE and it would cost you nothing to at least try it. There are many free templates as well which you could try just to see if you are up to it. It's easy, I'm 67 and build my own websites; I have no technical knowledge or training. Please don't buy Dreamweaver, it's expensive and yesterday's method; and a nightmare to link to a database. If you want a copy you can have mine.

Whoever builds your site, if your site is aimed at the Spanish market (by which I mean visitors to your site live in Spain) don't buy a .com domain unless you host it in Spain. If your site's visitors are in the UK, host a dot.com in the UK but a co.uk site can be hosted anywhere. The reason is the way search engines treat the different domains in the local pages.

If you are not managing the properties but just advertising them (like Rightmove does for houses), a wordpress site can be set up so the owners manage their own pages, saving you a lot of work. I set one up (villafinders) and sold it a few years ago.
Thanks luckykat but honestly i'm the thickest (laziest man) in the World when it comes to computers, i honestly didn't understand a word you just said. Anyhow as i sid  few years off yet, but just thought i'd find out the costs to see if it was doable.