watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

For Blingo. Gibralter Airport.

Started by FatFreddysCat, June 26, 2011, 09:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatFreddysCat

My mum showed me a bit of  program called Worlds most dangerous airports or something like that. Gibralter is at no 5, and bloody helly half of it is cut of by a main road. Hope your still alive Blingo , havent seen you on here for a few days. Fly from Malaga in future.

FFCcravencottage

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on June 26, 2011, 09:14:53 PM
My mum showed me a bit of  program called Worlds most dangerous airports or something like that. Gibralter is at no 5, and bloody helly half of it is cut of by a main road. Hope your still alive Blingo , havent seen you on here for a few days. Fly from Malaga in future.

Yeah this is a bit of a scary airport to land at, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibraltar_Airport I haven't been there since the late 90s. I drove in from La Linea but I still have a recollection of a supermarket halfway across. I may be totally wrong but I'm sure Blingo will put me right.

CorkedHat

Hong Kong used to be a bit tasty coming into land with skyscrapers on either side and not much room for error. They have actually moved the airport now and all you have to worry about are some mountains on the horizon.
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

jarv

I have flown many times in my life. However, I am afraid of flying. The Hong Kong things sounds lime my recurring dream, flying though (between) lots of high buildings.

Nick the Swede

We have to add the Vagar Airport in the Faroe Islands to the list too.

The runway is shorter that normal for traditional jet planes  :002:
-"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

sipwell

We have to add Sint-Maarten (Dutch overseas province) to that list. Too short runway so the airplane needs to start descending considerably early to make it to the end. The result:

747 Landing - St.Maarten
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

The Equalizer

Gib airport certainly is a little hair-raising! When we touched down I looked out of the window and all I could see was water below me, I thought I'd be swimming to passport control.

"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

King_Crud

Madeira airport is a bit tricky.

And I did the old HK airport in a 747 just before it closed in 98, fantastic fun.

CorkedHat

Quote from: King_Crud on June 27, 2011, 09:40:40 AM
Madeira airport is a bit tricky.

And I did the old HK airport in a 747 just before it closed in 98, fantastic fun.

You might call it fun, KC, but to normal people like me it was hair raising. I used to board the aircraft in white trousers and disembark with brown ones.

Blingo

There was indeed a Safeways supermarket at the side of the runway, but it was shut down years ago.
The biggest problem with the runway at Gib is not the runway itself - although it is not the longest there is - but the crosswinds and believe me, when your son is coming back on a flight and the pilot tries to land with the wings rocking and you watch the aeroplane rev up and pull back up into the sky, your heart is in your mouth.
Apart from that, as I see it every day, it really is no big thing lol. (Oh and of course there's a bloody big stone to the side of it that is best avoided  :005:)

Look at this it will give you an idea.

aborted landing at Gibraltar Airport

CorkedHat

My wife and I were on a domestic flight which actually touched down and took off immediately at Mascot Airport, Sydney. This was an aborted landing okay but it obviously can happen anywhere and like this incident was never made public.

Blingo

Pilots get a bonus if they can land in crosswinds CH. We get this problem every year with flights diverted either to Malaga or Tangiers. Nearly every Gibbo can tell as the plane approaches as to whether it will make the landing or not. I have been on a flight like the one above and have been taken to Tangiers. When you get there, they do NOT let you off of the plane and you just have to sit there and wait until they deem it safe to try again (normally hours). It may sound silly, but you are quite happy to take off again to "have another go" hahahaha.

King_Crud

Quote from: CorkedHat on June 27, 2011, 10:03:53 AM
My wife and I were on a domestic flight which actually touched down and took off immediately at Mascot Airport, Sydney. This was an aborted landing okay but it obviously can happen anywhere and like this incident was never made public.

I used to live under the flight path for Sydney. In bad weather I have seen planes abort landing, one Qantas plane I saw attempt it 4 times. But it's not newsworthy

Peabody

walking across the runway at Gib is no fun either.

CorkedHat

Quote from: Blingo on June 27, 2011, 10:12:32 AM
Pilots get a bonus if they can land in crosswinds CH. We get this problem every year with flights diverted either to Malaga or Tangiers. Nearly every Gibbo can tell as the plane approaches as to whether it will make the landing or not. I have been on a flight like the one above and have been taken to Tangiers. When you get there, they do NOT let you off of the plane and you just have to sit there and wait until they deem it safe to try again (normally hours). It may sound silly, but you are quite happy to take off again to "have another go" hahahaha.

Rather you than me Mr B. I'm not the best of flyers. In my job I had to fly at least once a week for ten years so I got pretty used to it but I never really enjoyed it. I have been in aborted landings, lightning strikes, engine failure and God knows what else. The only thing I haven't experienced is volcanic ash but that may still happen.

Blingo

Hopefully not CH lol.

Peabody, you make it sound like you are dodging landing aircraft as you are walking across the runway hahahahaha. It is bloody annoying though when they put down the barriers to let the sweeper clean the runway during rush hour lol. The queues to get out of Gib are a bigger nightmare than the planes.

Peabody

What I meant was, it was areally hot day and we took a chance and parked in La Linea, our friends did'nt wan to splash out on a cab so we walked and we walked and we walked!

Blingo

You must have been going in the wrong direction lol. Gibs not even 3 miles long hahaha.

HatterDon

Iraklion's airport was always a joy to land at. It's also carved out of the side of a rock so that any cross breeze hits the airplane in two directions and, the sudden cessation of a breeze drops you on the runway like a stone. It was always a pleasure to see the Greeks cheering after a safe landing and crossing themselves repeatedly after "an interesting" landing.

This was in the late 1970s, and most of the voices we heard over Olympic Airline's intercoms welcoming us to Crete were British. I think they were all RAF Lancaster veterans.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

The Equalizer

Quote from: HatterDon on June 27, 2011, 04:22:12 PM
Iraklion's airport was always a joy to land at. It's also carved out of the side of a rock so that any cross breeze hits the airplane in two directions and, the sudden cessation of a breeze drops you on the runway like a stone. It was always a pleasure to see the Greeks cheering after a safe landing and crossing themselves repeatedly after "an interesting" landing.

This was in the late 1970s, and most of the voices we heard over Olympic Airline's intercoms welcoming us to Crete were British. I think they were all RAF Lancaster veterans.

Good grief! That landing is brutal. You come in from the sea and aim at a cliff face, hoping that the pilot will pull up in time!

"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc