watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

For Blingo. Gibralter Airport.

Started by FatFreddysCat, June 26, 2011, 09:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

epsomraver

Did the old Hong Kong airport landing shortly before it moved  , pilots landing there had to have special training, like CH  I am not a good flyer always glad to feel the hopefully smooth bump on landing. It was very off putting at Hong Kong to look out of the plane  window and see a woman putting washing out on her balcony of the tall flats seemingly just at the end of the wing

Burt

Ironically the two worst landings I had were both in the UK.

A Monarch Airways landing at Luton, during bad weather, where in the end the pilot just dumped the bird on the runway and must have left a crater.

And a BA flight at Heathrow where we literally touched down and took right off again as there was another plane still dawdling around on the runway.

I went to Windy Wellington earlier this year, and the crosswinds made that quite an interesting experience. Apparently the airport is renowned for it.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: sipwell on June 27, 2011, 07:20:39 AM
We have to add Sint-Maarten (Dutch overseas province) to that list. Too short runway so the airplane needs to start descending considerably early to make it to the end. The result:

747 Landing - St.Maarten

Sod going there  :046:

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: The Equalizer on June 27, 2011, 04:30:20 PM
Quote from: HatterDon on June 27, 2011, 04:22:12 PM
Iraklion's airport was always a joy to land at. It's also carved out of the side of a rock so that any cross breeze hits the airplane in two directions and, the sudden cessation of a breeze drops you on the runway like a stone. It was always a pleasure to see the Greeks cheering after a safe landing and crossing themselves repeatedly after "an interesting" landing.

This was in the late 1970s, and most of the voices we heard over Olympic Airline's intercoms welcoming us to Crete were British. I think they were all RAF Lancaster veterans.

Good grief! That landing is brutal. You come in from the sea and aim at a cliff face, hoping that the pilot will pull up in time!

I've done that one, never really noticed anything ontoward to be honest.

King_Crud

Quote from: Burt on June 27, 2011, 06:31:51 PM
A Monarch Airways landing at Luton, during bad weather, where in the end the pilot just dumped the bird on the runway and must have left a crater.
yeah i had a wobbly landing on Easyjet at Luton. The plane was wobbly around coming in to land and there was a group of lads near me making mock vomiting noises and yelling "we're all going to die!". Those of us who weren't scared of flying were laughing, but there were a lot of people who didn't find it funny

MJG

Worst landing for me was at Houston airport (late 80-'s) where the plane must have hit some wind shear, because one second I'm looking at the ground on a normal approach and then we seemed to move 90 degrees right and then back again and the plane seemed to just drop on the runway and some people were hurt in the cabin.
Straight after that I had to board a plan to Detroit and then flew through the worst thunderstorm I have ever been in while on a plane, and i'm not kidding this plane must hav had something like 130 seats and there were only 5 of us on it with 3 stewards. One of the worst days of my life.(and the fact I was staying in Detroit did not help)

Vinnieffc

A 747 captain told me that potentially the most dangerous airport to land at is Perth Western Australia. Reason being, in the unusual event of there being bad weather, you have no choice but to land as there is nowhere nearby to divert a 747 to.

Blingo

Have you seen how much Desert they have over there Vinnie lol?

Burt

I was coming back from our sales kick-off in San Diego last year and had to go back to LHR via Dallas.

The South West flight was about 20 minutes out when there was a loud bang, then a lurch, a change in engine pitch and also a change in the atmosphere of the passengers... Particularly when we banked sharply and started heading back to San Diego.

The pilot made an announcement to the effect that the more observant amongst us may have noticed a bit of a noise and the fact that we were running on one engine less than normal, and that as a precaution we were returning to San Diego, and not to be alarmed by the emergency vehicles that would be waiting for us there.

Actually San Diego itself is an interesting airport - pretty much smack bang in downtown SD, and with a frigging great car park all but obstructing one end of the runway.

Burt

CorkedHat

They don't call it Windy Wellington for nothing
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

HatterDon

Of course, any landing that occurs when people are firing machine guns at you is in a different category. I used to prefer daytime take-offs and landings so I didn't have to watch the tracer rounds.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

finnster01

Quote from: HatterDon on June 28, 2011, 03:31:50 PM
Of course, any landing that occurs when people are firing machine guns at you is in a different category. I used to prefer daytime take-offs and landings so I didn't have to watch the tracer rounds.

The tracers still look pretty decent in daylight mate. That is if you are behind the 20 millimeter and hitting things you can actually see which nowadays is a lost art and waste of time
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

HatterDon

Quote from: finnster01 on June 28, 2011, 04:48:03 PM
Quote from: HatterDon on June 28, 2011, 03:31:50 PM

The tracers still look pretty decent in daylight mate. That is if you are behind the 20 millimeter and hitting things you can actually see which nowadays is a lost art and waste of time

Tracers are the perfect example of the old saying, "It's better to give than to receive."
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

King_Crud

when i was young my extended family took a flight up into the highlands of Papua New Guinea. We were flying in a small cessna between mountains, with limited vision due to mist. We eventually came out of the top of the mist, found the mountain we were due to land on, had to fly around twice while they moved the cows from the landing strip. My grandfather, who fought and was shot in Tobruk in WW2, said it was the scariest thing he's ever experienced, scarier than fighting the Germans & Italians.

finnster01

Quote from: King_Crud on June 28, 2011, 05:01:36 PM
when i was young my extended family took a flight up into the highlands of Papua New Guinea. We were flying in a small cessna between mountains, with limited vision due to mist. We eventually came out of the top of the mist, found the mountain we were due to land on, had to fly around twice while they moved the cows from the landing strip. My grandfather, who fought and was shot in Tobruk in WW2, said it was the scariest thing he's ever experienced, scarier than fighting the Germans & Italians.

I can understand the Italian bit. I rather take them on than the cows.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Blingo

When the Falklands war started, the Italians surrendered.