more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (30/06/11)

Started by WhiteJC, June 30, 2011, 07:34:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Early Europa return is blessing not burden, says Jol

The Fulham manager Martin Jol insists nobody is complaining about the Cottagers' early return to competitive football and even backed his charges to repeat the Europa League exploits of two years ago.

The former Tottenham manager began pre-season with his new troops last week in preparation for his first match at the helm against NSI Runavik of the Faroe Islands in the Europa League first round tonight.

Fulham have fond memories of the competition having defeated the likes of Shakhtar Donetsk, Hamburg and Juventus on the way to a final showdown with Atletico Madrid in 2010. The run surprised many but Jol believes the Cottagers could once again progress through the competition.

"I would imagine that there are quite a few teams that would like to be in Europe," he said. "In Holland you play for Europe and I think it is the same in England. In the league you play for the support and yourself.

"You want to stay in the league firstly, but secondly you want to finish in the first five or six spots. You want to be in Europe. That is the goal. Maybe that wasn't the goal for Fulham but because they are playing the way they did, they did well in the Fair Play. If you can do that and if you're lucky enough you play in Europe, you can't complain. Two years ago they did unbelievably well, gave the club a good profile in Europe and the money was coming in as well."

Asked whether his side could repeat the exploits of 2010, he added: "You need a bit of luck but I remember Fulham playing against Shakhtar Donetsk and beating them. I cannot remember Shakhtar losing a game at home so they certainly played a way that could prove to be successful in Europe, so why not?"

Jol admitted that he would need a squad of more than 20 players to reach such heady heights again but refused to comment on any of the players he is looking to bring in. The likes of Tottenham's David Bentley and Jermaine Jenas have been linked with a move to west London, while West Ham striker Carlton Cole has also been mentioned as a target.

"I will never name names because in this business there are always other clubs watching you," he said. "We will do that privately. I have seen eight or nine names linked with us and that was not true.

"We need a couple of additions but I won't bring players here for the sake of it because we still have young players as well. I have to give them a chance to play, to be happy and to develop themselves. I think there will be two or three players coming into my squad and I will give them a chance in the next couple of weeks to prove themselves."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/early-europa-return-is-blessing-not-burden-says-jol-2304663.html?

WhiteJC

Jol prepares for David and Goliath clash

New Fulham manager Martin Jol will not be taking minnows NSI Runavik lightly when the two sides meet in the Europa League on Thursday.

The abnormally early start to the season comes due to Fulham's participation in the first round of qualifying for the Europa League, after they topped the 2010/11 English Premier League Fair Play standings.

And while the club from Faroe Islands will be living the dream as they face Premier League opposition at Craven Cottage, Jol is not assuming that things will be easy.

"You can't take it (Thursday's match) lightly," Jol told Fulham's official website.

"It's a European game and I think all the lads want to prove themselves. It's a bit early in the season but I don't see it being a problem. You play football to play in Europe and test yourself at that level."

"We've got a couple of scouts in the Faroe Islands and they've provided us with some good footage."

NSI Runavik finished third in the Faroe Islands Premier League last season and their team is made of largely of semi-professional players.

Jol, who only recently succeeded Mark Hughes as Fulham boss, also sang the praises of the club's playing group for their attitude towards training and revealed that he may look to some of the Cottagers' younger players to make a mark in Thursday's first leg.

"I have to say they're (the players) a fine bunch of lads," he said.

"They work hard every day with smiles on their faces. The boys are quite fit and they've been very professional. They did their fitness programmes over the summer and we've tested them over the last four or five days. Bobby Zamora, who came in two days ago, looks really fit."

"I can involve them all (on Thursday night) and there will be one or two younger players involved, even in the line-up."

http://www.soccerway.com/news/2011/June/30/jol-prepares-for-david-and-goliath-clash/?

WhiteJC

Curtain Up at the Cottage
Posted by Phil Mison 3 hours, 33 minutes ago

Runavik journey to London for a preliminary round tie that should prove a walkover for the Whites in the Europa League, regardless of what team we put out.

Welcome back dear readers - it's the show that never ends. Let me fess up straight away to being in Texas on trade show duties linked to my business in the world of tenpin bowling. Yes indeed, I'm here to press the flesh with my two major American clients and share in the Texan hospitality - we finish up Thursday night with a gala hoe down at Cowboys Stadium - by which time the Fulham result will be through.

Those heading for the Cottage, a healthy crowd in prospect I gather, won't need cowboy boots or bunting to enjoy their own summer's night on the banks of the Thames. I will be amazed if the Faroe Islanders get below a three goal margin in defeat.

Since Jol's appointment I have no more insider knowledge of goings on at FFC than we have all gleaned from the usual sources of information. I wouldn't have expected any transfer activity this early from Martin, the absence of some of our bigger international stars was anticipated, and it is surely inevitable that Jol will field a largely experimental side against the part-timers.

One or two big guns should sensibly start on the bench in case things don't go according to plan, but frankly I could almost fancy my own chances of getting through 90 minutes in my carpet slippers against this lot.

As to the bigger picture, I thought Jol made all the right noises at his opening press conference. He seems to be sidestepping all the has beens linked with Fulham since January, while keeping his own council on where the reinforcements might come from. In an ideal world I would love to see us being linked to Adam and N'Zogbia (especially as we should have snapped him up for £2 mill 3 seasons ago) but I have every confidence Jol will attract enough names of stature to augment his squad. He has been pretty blunt in saying we need to lower the average age of the side - which we can all see. I am slightly puzzled by the need for a new keeper, and can't quite work out who is the likelier to be moved on - Mark or Stockers.

There's still a few weeks to go before we can draw up any sensible assessment of our chances in the new season. In the meantime I suggest we all kick back and grab some rays while we can. As the temperature here in the greater Dallas area has been around 100 all week, that is precisely what I intend to do in the next 48 hours.

For those going, enjoy the game and COYW as always.

Twitter@fulhamphil

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2011/06/curtain_up_at_the_cottage.php?

WhiteJC

Michael Halliday has fingers crossed Crues get Fulham clash

Michael Halliday has sent Fulham a special 'good luck' message for their Europa League campaign which starts tonight.

The reason for the striker's sudden interest in the London club's fortunes is easily understood as Crusaders will get a crack at Martin Jol's side if they can see off the challenge of NSI Runavik of the Faroe Islands in the first qualifying round.

The first leg will be at Craven Cottage tonight and it's a venue Stephen Baxter's men are hoping to visit on Thursday, July 21.

Suddenly there's a new army of Fulham fans on the Shore Road and Halliday, who helped Glentoran stun AC Allianssi in the Uefa Cup in 2004, is relishing a rare opportunity for an Irish League club to go toe to toe with English top flight opponents.

"I think it's fair to say we would all be devastated if Fulham didn't progress in the Europa League after we got them in the draw," said Halliday.

"As far as we are concerned it would be the biggest shock in football if Runavik beat them and it would be tough to take from our perspective.

"The Fulham game is a real glamour one for everyone including the fans who would only normally see the players, many of whom are internationals, on the television.

"The two Northern Ireland internationals (Chris Baird and Aaron Hughes) increase the local interest and I would expect a great atmosphere at both matches.

"It's more difficult now for an Irish League side to get this quality of opponent in European competition so we have struck it lucky this time.

"I can remember talk of Glentoran playing Liverpool but we ended up getting TNS.

"For many of our players like Stuart Dallas and Jordan Owens it's another big stage to show what they can do and I'm sure they'll relish the chance to perform well."

Halliday is also looking forward to lining up alongside another former Glentoran stalwart Paul Leeman.

"Paul's a fantastic signing for us," he added.

"The one thing you need to challenge for the big trophies is strength in depth and the new signings give the manager more options. Hopefully we can be in contention for the title again."

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/local/michael-halliday-has-fingers-crossed-crues-get-fulham-clash-16017814.html?#ixzz1QjzLqxnw

WhiteJC

Fulham manager Martin Jol's costly start in Europa League
The first qualifying round of the Europa League against NSI Runavik is not the only obstacle to have been placed in Martin Jol's path this week.

Fulham man: Martin Jol had a set-back ahead of his Fulham debut
Photo: ACTION IMAGES

On Tuesday, the Fulham manager had a car containing all of his belongings, including his passport, towed away after a "misunderstanding" over parking restrictions in the Wimbledon area.

Hans Segers, confirmed as Fulham's new goalkeeping coach, had advised him of a suitable location, but they had to pay £55 to have the car released.

The first leg of tomorrow night's Europa League match against Runavik, from the Faroe Islands, should be less problematic.

Aside from Clint Dempsey, who will return to training on July 15 after being on international duty with the United States, and Moussa Dembele, who has an ankle injury, Fulham will be at full strength.

"You can't take it lightly — it's a European game and the first game of the season," said Jol.

"The timing of the match is no problem."

Former Tottenham manager Jol, who replaced Mark Hughes at Fulham in early June, confirmed that Ray Lewington would be kept on at Craven Cottage as his assistant.

The Dutchman also confirmed that winger Zolton Gera as well as defender John Pantsil had left the club.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/8606764/Fulham-manager-Martin-Jols-costly-start-in-Europa-League.html?

WhiteJC

Hughes expects a Fulham cruise

Aaron Hughes admits he does not know too much about Fulham's Europa League opponents NSI Runavik - but is not expecting an upset.

The Cottagers began pre-season last week in preparation for Thursday's first-round tie at Craven Cottage against the team from the Faroe Islands.

Hughes is one of a handful of players within the Fulham squad to have played a side from the Nordic country, having drawn 1-1 against their national team with Northern Ireland last October.

But despite almost coming a cropper on international duty, the defender does not expect too much pressure from the opponents.

"I don't know a great deal about them," he said. "We have not had a chance to look at them too much this week because it has more been about preparation on the football pitch and a little bit of top-up on fitness.

"I guess in the meeting before the game anything that the lads inside have found they will highlight and give us an idea before we go out.

"It is as much about focusing about what we do and making sure we do all the basic things right, which should be enough to take us through."

Fulham are 1/100 with some bookies to win the match, while the visitors are priced by some as 66/1 to spring an upset.

The odds come as no surprise seeing as NSI hail from a town of just 4,000 inhabitants and are made up of part-time players, including a teacher and trainee telephone salesman.

Club captain and star player Christian Hogni Jacobsen has even admitted that Fulham would need to have an "incredibly bad day" for them to have any chance of victory.

The Londoners' expected dominance could go someway to explaining why more than 12,000 tickets have already been sold for this evening's clash - and recently-appointed manager Martin Jol is hoping to entertain those that turn out.

"I do not want to concede too many goals and play attractive football because that is what our supporters want," he said of the approach he is bringing to the club.

"That is probably the same at Spurs. You have a kind of culture and style that you play for the crowds and that is what we try to do here.

"We have got a few youngsters in the squad so of course there is four or five players not here, they are on holiday so it is a nice opportunity for these youngsters to show and prove themselves.

"I can't imagine going out in the first round but it is football so you never know.

"You could say that it is 90% sure that we go through but you still have to do the business and our players know that."

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/7010825/Hughes-expects-a-Fulham-cruise?

WhiteJC

West Brom wait on Zoltan

WEST Brom expect to find out in the next few days whether midfielder Zoltan Gera will be rejoining them.

Gera is a free agent after his contract with Fulham expired at the end of last season.

Gera's agent Vladan Filipovic said: "The negotiations are in a period where we can agree anytime (with a club)."

Gera spent four years at the Hawthorns, helping them avoid the drop in 2005. West Brom are also waiting to see if Lazio will come in with an offer for defender Gabriel Tamas.

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/story-12854006-detail/story.html?

WhiteJC

Jol reunited with coach Segers at Fulham

Fulham manager Martin Jol has linked up with Hans Segers again after appointing him the club's goalkeeping coach.

The recently-appointed Dutchman has brought in fellow countryman Segers to fill the role vacated by Kevin Hitchcock.

Segers worked with Jol at Tottenham, while Ray Lewington has been promoted from a youth coaching role to one of Jol's assistant.

"[Hans] comes from PSV Eindhoven, I worked with him in my time at Spurs so I know him very well," he said.

"We started off with Ray Lewington because he's probably a main figure here, at this club, he knows everything.

"He was here when Roy [Hodgson] was here and working here for the academy when Mark [Hughes] was here, so I think he's a key figure here."

Jol had already previously drafted in brother Cornelis Jol and Michael Lindeman to the management set-up at Craven Cottage.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-news-Hans-Segers-who-was-goalkeeping-coach-at-Spurs-under-Martin-Jol-has-joined-club-article754007.html#ixzz1Qk0qa3w0

WhiteJC

Fulham focus on basics ahead of Europa League tie

Fulham defender Aaron Hughes admits he does not know too much about this evening's Europa League opponents NSI Runavik but is not expecting to come out on the wrong end of an upset.

The Cottagers began pre-season last week in preparation for the tonight's first-round tie at Craven Cottage against the team from the Faroe Islands.

Hughes is one of a handful of players within the Fulham squad to have played a side from the Nordic country, having drawn 1-1 against their national team with Northern Ireland last October.

But despite almost coming a cropper on international duty, the defender does not expect too much pressure from tonight's opponents.

"I don't know a great deal about them," he said. "We have not had a chance to look at them too much this week because it has more been about preparation on the football pitch and a little bit of top-up on fitness.

"I guess in the meeting before the game anything that the lads inside have found they will highlight and give us an idea before we go out.

"It is as much about focusing about what we do and making sure we do all the basic things right, which should be enough to take us through."

Fulham are 1/100 with some bookies to win the match, while the visitors are priced by some as 66/1 to spring an upset.

The odds come as no surprise seeing as NSI hail from a town of just 4,000 inhabitants and are made up of part-time players, including a teacher and trainee telephone salesman.

Club captain and star player Christian Hogni Jacobsen has even admitted that Fulham would need to have an "incredibly bad day" for them to have any chance of victory.

The Londoners' expected dominance could go someway to explaining why more than 12,000 tickets have already been sold for this evening's clash - and recently-appointed manager Martin Jol is hoping to entertain those that turn out.

"I do not want to concede too many goals and play attractive football because that is what our supporters want," he said of the approach he is bringing to the club.

"That is probably the same at Spurs. You have a kind of culture and style that you play for the crowds and that is what we try to do here.

"We have got a few youngsters in the squad so of course there is four or five players not here, they are on holiday so it is a nice opportunity for these youngsters to show and prove themselves.

"I can't imagine going out in the first round but it is football so you never know. You could say that it is 90% sure that we go through but you still have to do the business and our players know that."

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-23965795-fulham-focus-on-basics-ahead-of-europa-league-tie.do?

WhiteJC

Jol won't sell Stockdale
Fulham boss keen to send keeper out on loan next season

Fulham boss Martin Jol has confirmed he will try to send David Stockdale out on loan after stressing he has no plans to sell the goalkeeper.

Stockdale made seven Premier League appearances for Fulham last season when deputising for Mark Schwarzer and he was also called into the England squad.

Veteran Australian keeper Schwarzer is expected to be Jol's first choice in the coming season and that has prompted question marks over Stockdale's future at Craven Cottage.

However, the 25-year-old has impressed new goalkeeping coach Hans Segers and Jol feels the shot-stopper would benefit from going out on loan.

"We saw him in training and Hans Segers said he's a big talent," said Jol.

"I won't sell him because I think his future is bright, but the only thing is we need a club which will promise me he will play every week."

Stockdale joined Fulham in 2008 from Darlington and has already undertaken loan spells at Rotherham United, Leicester City and Plymouth Argyle.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_7010891,00.html?

WhiteJC

Leeds United: Fulham join race to sign Gradel

Max Gradel in match action.

Fulham have joined West Ham United in the race to sign Leeds United winger Max Gradel.

The Premier League club are set to put fresh pressure on Leeds by involving themselves in the fight for United's highly-rated player of the year.

West Ham's intentions became clear earlier this week, albeit claims of a multi-million pound bid from Upton Park appear to have been premature, and Fulham's interest raises fresh doubt about whether Gradel will be part of the squad at Elland Road when the Championship season begins on August 6.

Leeds manager Simon Grayson had no plans to sell Gradel this summer but the Ivory Coast international is out of contract in 12 months' time and has not yet been offered an improved deal.

Attention on Gradel, who scored 18 goals in the Championship last season, has increased dramatically in the past fortnight, with Swansea City named as another club who hope to take the 23-year-old on board before the start of the Premier League term.

Gradel is one of the most sought-after members of Grayson's squad, along with fellow-winger Robert Snodgrass, but the short-term nature of his deal with Leeds is encouraging rival managers to assess his value.

The former Leicester City trainee – a £200,000 signing by Grayson in January of 2010 – was due to report back to Thorp Arch with the rest of United's players for the first day of pre-season training this morning but the club are braced for bids during the coming weeks.

Any agreement to sell Gradel would be deeply unpopular among United's support but Grayson has made it clear that both Gradel and Snodgrass, who recently drew an unsuccessful offer from Norwich City, are players he wishes to retain.

Gradel has also declared his intention to remain at Elland Road but a contract with either West Ham or Fulham would dramatically increase his current wage.

Both clubs have changed managers since the end of last season, with Fulham appointing Martin Jol and Sam Allardyce replacing Avram Grant in the Upton Park hotseat.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/latest-whites-news/leeds_united_fulham_join_race_to_sign_gradel_1_3527023

WhiteJC

Martin Jol fancies Fulham for another extended Europa League campaign
Fulham manager Martin Jol insists nobody is complaining about the Cottagers' early return to competitive football and even backed his charges to repeat their Europa League exploits of two years ago.

The former Tottenham boss began pre-season with his new troops last week in preparation for his first match at the helm against NSI Runavik of the Faroe Islands in the Europa League first round tonight.

Fulham surprised many by reaching the 2010 final, where they lost to  Atletico Madrid, and Jol believes the West Londoners could once again progress through the competition.

'If you're lucky enough to play in Europe you can't complain,' said Jol whose team qualified for the competition via the Fair Play League under former manager Mark Hughes.

'Two years ago they did unbelievably well, gave the club a good profile and the money was coming in.'

Asked whether his side could repeat those exploits, the Dutchman added: 'You need luck but I remember Fulham beating Shakhtar Donetsk [en route to the final]. I can't remember Shakhtar losing at home so they certainly played a way that could be successful in Europe, so why not?'

With the likes of Moussa Dembele, Carlos Salcido and Clint Dempsey unavailable, Jol could hand debuts to Finnish striker Lauri Dalla Valle, 19, and 17-year-old Swiss midfielder Kerim Frei.

But even with some inexperience in his starting XI, Jol is confident his men will progress to the second round where they would meet Belfast side Crusaders, adding: 'You could say that it is 90 per cent sure that we go through but you still have to do the business and our players know that.'

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/867862-martin-jol-fancies-fulham-for-another-extended-europa-league-campaign#ixzz1QkSG8ELo

WhiteJC

Fulham manager Martin Jol keen to keep David Stockdale but plans to send goalkeeper out on loan
The keeper needs to play regular football elsewhere, according to the Dutch coach, who believes the 25-year-old is a bright talent who he wants to keep at Craven Cottage

Fulham manager Martin Jol intends to loan out goalkeeper David Stockdale to ensure he plays regular football.
Mark Schwarzer is believed to be the first-choice keeper of the new boss at Craven Cottage, which led to reports suggesting the 25-year-old's future at the London club was in doubt.

However, the Dutch coach has clarified the situation, stating he is a talented prospect and that loaning him to a club where he would be playing consistently is the main aim.

"We saw him in training and Hans Segers said he's a big talent," Jol said, according to Sky Sports.

"I won't sell him because I think his future is bright, but the only thing is we need a club which will promise me he will play every week."

Stockdale joined Fulham from Darlington in 2008, playing for York prior to that, and has spent time out on loan at Rotherham United, Leicester City and Plymouth Argyle.

The Leeds-born goalkeeper had stints in the Craven Cottage first team last season when Schwarzer was injured or away on international duty, impressing in his appearances.

He was called up to the England squad for their match against Switzerland but had to withdraw because the date of the game coincided closely with his wedding.

Although he is yet to make an appearance for the national side, he has moved up the pecking order thanks to fellow keepers Ben Foster and Paul Robinson making themselves unavailable for selection.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/06/30/2554204/fulham-manager-martin-jol-keen-to-keep-david-stockdale-but-plans-?

WhiteJC

Duo out of Cottagers early start

Fulham will be without Carlos Salcido and Clint Dempsey for Thursday's Europa League first round qualifier against NSI Runavik.
The Cottagers return to competitive action against the Faroe Islands part-timers as they begin their quest to get back into the Europa League, just over a year after they reached the final of the competition.

With last season having finished just over a month ago, Fulham's players have only recently returned for pre-season training under new manager Martin Jol.

The Dutchman will be unable to call on Salcido and Dempsey for the match at Craven Cottage due to their involvement in the Concacaf Gold Cup in America.

Jol is likely to give a number of youngsters the chance to impress, with Lauri Dalla Valle and Kerim Frei expected to start in the absence of some first-team regulars.

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/duo-out-of-cottagers-early-start-1232934.html?

WhiteJC

Hangeland Impressed

Fulham will take the first step towards potential UEFA Europa League qualification tonight when the Whites take on NSI Runavik at Craven Cottage (kick-off 19:30).

Martin Jol will take charge of Fulham for the first-time and, after just a week of pre-season training, the Dutchman has already impressed Brede Hangeland.

"Training's been good, we looked forward to meeting the new manager and his staff so it's all positive," Hangeland told fulhamfc.com. "The Manager has made a really positive impression, we've done lots of work with the ball and obviously the fitness people have done their work so we're all looking forward to the first game.

"We're hoping for a smooth transition, obviously when a new manager comes in there'll be some adjustments but we're hoping to keep moving forward as a club and to get stronger as a team. I see no reason why that shouldn't happen this year.

"The players know each other really well now, we know our strengths and weaknesses. The new manager is also very much aware of how we have played and how we can improve even more."

Fulham will be billed as heavy favourites going into the opening game of the UEFA Europa League qualification campaign but Hangeland insisted that the players won't be taking their opponents lightly.

"Obviously this game comes a long time before the start of the season," he explained. "But we'll have to approach this game as professionally as we would any game. We all know where it can end so we just want to get through."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/June/HangelandRunavikHomePreview.aspx?#ixzz1Ql7y1VRC

WhiteJC

Fulham v NSÍ Runavík tickets

UEFA Europa League Qualifier
Thursday 30th June
Kick-Off 19:30

Please note all supporters will be allocated paper tickets for this game as Season Ticket and Membership cards have not yet been sent out for the new season.

You should have already received paper ticket(s) in the post for today's UEFA Europa League qualifying game against NSI Runavik.

No Season Ticket or Membership cards will be loaded for this match so be sure to bring along your paper ticket or collect it from the Ticket Collection Booth before the match.

If you are collecting your tickets from the Ticket Collection Booth on Stevenage Road, please arrive as early as possible as there are a large number of ticket collections for this evenings game and queues are expected..

On-sale dates

Season Ticket Holders  Now on sale (Unlimited)
General Sale Now on sale (Unlimited)
Loyalty points: 6 (more info)

As you may be aware, UEFA regulations mean that we are required to make special alterations to the ticketing arrangements for all European matches being held at the Cottage. To minimise the impact these alterations have on stadium access & egress, the Club have elected to house visiting supporters in Blocks H - K & HL - KL of the Johnny Haynes Stand. Any supporters on the Home Cup Scheme in these areas will be allocated alterative seating in best available seats.

Buy tickets online

How to Buy Tickets

buy tickets online - 7 days a week, 24 hrs a day. Save on booking fees by booking online*
by phone on 0843 208 1234 (option 1) - 7 days a week, 24 hrs a day
in person from the Ticket Office: Mon-Fri 9am-5pm; non-match day Sat 10am-12pm
Pay on the Gate
* Lower booking fees compared to telephone booking

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Tickets/Games/RunavikHome.aspx#ixzz1Ql8G8k3a

WhiteJC

Fulham v NSI Runavik: Big Match Preview

Big Match Preview: Fulham v NSI Runavik
UEFA Europa League: First round qualifier
Venue: Craven Cottage
Date: June 30 – Kick-off: 7.30pm

TEAM NEWS

Having returned to pre-season training last week, just a month since the end of last season, Fulham face the Faroe Islands part-timers at Craven Cottage.

Carlos Salcido and Clint Dempsey are unavailable as they featured in the recent Concacaf Gold Cup in California. The match represents Martin Jol's first in charge of the Londoners.

No complaints from Martin Jol despite early start

Martin Jol believes Fulham can enjoy a similar to two years ago when they reached the Europa League Final, having qualified for the competition through last season's Fair Play League.

It's an early start to what promises to be a long and arduous campaign, but the new Cottagers boss is not concerned about kicking off the season so soon after last.

"I would imagine that there are quite a few teams that would like to be in Europe," said Jol. "We have got a few youngsters in the squad because of course there are four or five players not here.

"You want to be in Europe. That is the goal. Maybe that wasn't the goal for Fulham but because they are playing the way they did, they did well in the Fair Play cup.

"If you can do that and if you're lucky enough you play in Europe so you can't complain. Two years ago they did unbelievably well, gave the club a good profile in Europe and the money was coming in as well.

"You need a bit of luck [to repeat that] but I remember Fulham playing against Shakhtar Donetsk and beating them. I can't remember Shakhtar losing a game at home so they certainly played a way that could be successful in Europe, so why not?"

Lauri Dalla Valle and Kerim Frei are two young players that could be handed debuts against NSI Runavik as a result of the absences of Salcido and Dempsey, but Jol is confident of victory.

"We have got a few youngsters in the squad because of course there are four or five players not here," said Jol. "It is a nice opportunity for these youngsters to show and prove themselves. I can't imagine going out in the first round but it is football so you never know.

"You could say that it is 90 per cent sure that we go through but you still have to do the business and our players know that."

http://www.givemefootball.com/europa-league/fulham-v-nsi-runavik-big-match-preview?

WhiteJC

Fulham's Euro tilt begins
Published Date: 30 June 2011

Fulham defender Aaron Hughes admits he does not know much about tonight's Europa League opponents NSI Runavik but is not expecting to come out on the wrong end of an upset.

The Cottagers began pre-season last week in preparation for this evening's first-round tie at Craven Cottage against the team from the Faroe Islands. "I don't know a great deal about them," he said. "We have not had a chance to look at them too much this week because it has more been about preparation on the football pitch and a little bit of top-up on fitness.

"I guess in the meeting before the game anything that the lads inside have found they will highlight before we go out. It is as much about making sure we do all the basic things right, which should be enough to take us through."

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/Fulham39s-Euro-tilt-begins-.6793619.jp?

WhiteJC

Up next: NSI Runavik (h)
by DAN on JUNE 30, 2011

Barely a week after returning to pre-season training, Fulham's players return to European action tonight with a tie against the largely unknown NSI Runavik of the Faroe Islands. Martin Jol has spoken about his plans to treat the early Europa League qualification rounds as friendly matches with a competitive edge but will be wary of any embarrassing slip-ups so early in his tenure at Craven Cottage.

Jol has maintained the line that Fulham are very happy to be part of another European campaign, despite the June start that might threaten to disrupt their season later on. Such warnings went unheeded as Fulham went all the way to the final in that memorable run thirteen months ago and Jol has spoken positively about the prospect of emulating that success.

With a few key players missing, the 12,000 fans who have purchased tickets in advance will get a glimpse of some of the club's youth prospects tonight. It has been a source of frustration that previous Fulham managers, perhaps stretching back to Chris Coleman, have opted against giving youth their head in competitive games. You can perhaps understand the impulse to play safe, especially as the club's Premier League status was frequently in jeopardy. The papers have tipped former Liverpool striker Lauri Dalle Valle, who has been training with the first-team this week, and midfielder Alex Frei to make their full debuts this evening.

The chances of Dalle Valle, signed by Mark Hughes on the recommendation of Fulham's academy director Huw Jennings and chief scout Malcolm Elias, making a first-team breakthrough this year have risen after Jol appeared to rule out strengthening his striking options by signing a new forward in interviews yesterday. The Finnish international has impressed during pre-season and highly thought of at Motspur Park. Loaned out to Bournemouth as cover towards the end of last season, Dalle Valle made an impression before the Cherries' first-team strikers returned to form and fitness. He deserves an opportunity to show us all what he can do.

Karim Frei has also been predicted to get a run-out tonight. The teenage midfielder has impressed since signing from Grasshopper Zurich last January, quickly progressing through the age-ranked sides and representing the reserves on a couple of occasions. Frei's an exciting talent, with an eye for a gap and a penchant for dribbling past opponents. It might be a stretch to see him from the start tonight, but he could get a late introduction from the bench. Matthew Briggs should start at left back in the absence of Carlos Salcido and this fixture will be the ideal opportunity for the youngster to build on his handful of first-team starts from last season. He was often thrown in at the deep during the last campaign, but impressed in his first outing against Port Vale, so we should expect a few more barnstorming runs down the left from him. Whether Keanu Marsh-Brown, who enjoyed a successful loan spell with MK Dons last term, gets a chance to impress is a question that will only be answered tonight.

Jol's side will hope to put some clear distance between themselves and the Faroese part-timers tonight to make the second leg more of a formality and another opportunity for experimentation.

MY FULHAM XI: Stockdale; Kelly, Briggs, Halliche, Senderos; Greening, Murphy, Marsh-Brown, Duff; A. Johnson, Dalla Valle. Subs: Bettinelli, Baird, Smith, Etuhu, Sidwell, Peniket, Zamora.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/06/up-next-nsi-runavik-h/?

WhiteJC

Home Kit Launch!

Following on from our successful first year of new kits from our sponsor Kappa, we're stepping up the style again for this season with a striking new all-white Home Kit!

Look out for your favourite players wearing the new kit in the first game of the season - when we start our European adventure tonight against NSI Runavik of the Faroe Islands.

Be the first to show off your Fulham colours in the stylish new all-white Home Kit. It will be available in store from the 21st July, but the good news is you can pre-order today!

Make sure that the whole family are kitted out in the brand new 2011/12 Home Kit with adult sizes from just £44.99 and child sizes from just £29.99.

Pre-order your new all-white Home Kit online, instore or direct by calling 0843 208 1223!

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/June/Homekitlaunch201112.aspx#ixzz1QlAS0G2D