more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (02/07/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, July 02, 2011, 06:42:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Murphy: League is the priority

Danny Murphy says the Barclays Premier League remains the focus despite Fulham's participation in Europa League.

Damien Duff, captain Murphy and Andrew Johnson netted the all-important goals as recently-appointed manager Martin Jol enjoyed a 3-0 victory over Faroese minnows NSI Runavik in his first match at the helm.

Fulham have seemingly already dispatched NSI with a clinical display in the first leg of their first qualifying round tie but a further 22 matches remain if they are to repeat the heroics of 2010 and make the final.

DOMESTIC CAMPAIGN
The match also marked the start of an 11-month season for Jol and his troops, which some fear could see them struggle for form and fitness in the Barclays Premier League.

Murphy admits competing in Europe has the potential to have a detrimental effect on their domestic campaign, although he insists the Cottagers will always put league success first.

He said: "The problems come if you are trying to fight a relegation battle. Or like last season where there were 10 teams up until probably the last month of the season fighting week-in, week-out.

"If you're trying to play European games as well then it could be problematic but let's hope we're not in that position.

"The Premier League is your bread and butter and the last thing you want to be doing is losing silly games and points because you're trying to progress in this competition."

http://www.premierleague.com/page/Headlines/0,,12306~2384995,00.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham 3-0 NSI Runavik

I'm still here. Sorry for the slight hiatus; I've been pretty busy with work. But enough with the excuses. Fulham. They're back in action. A 3-0 win over NSI Runavik at Craven Cottage, which was a comfortable enough result to begin what could be a very long Europa League campaign.

Damien Duff, Danny Murphy and Andy Johnson scored the goals against a defensively packed NSI that Fulham couldn't quite get to grips with in the first half. Murphy tried through balls and lobs towards Zamora but the NSI defense always had it covered. Eventually Duff got through the defense and hit a shot from just inside the box. Johnson looked to have got a deflection but it stood as Duff's goal. Fulham pressed more succesfully in the second half, resulting in Davies winning a penalty. Murphy stepped up and calmy slotted in. Johnson then got the third goal after good combination play with Bobby Zamora.

Next week Fulham travel to the Faroe Islands for the return leg for what will surely be a formality for Fulham. The game won't be at NSI Runavik's home ground but instead at the Svangaskard Stadium in Toftir, which meets UEFA club competition specifications and has quite the picturesque backdrop:

WhiteJC

Fulham start season with qualifier

LONDON: Fulham kicked off their season with a Europa League qualifier on Thursday at a time of year usually reserved for late drama in the tennis, a leisurely pint in a pub on the banks of the River Thames or a casual stroll on Wimbledon Common.

But the match at Craven Cottage, less than 6 km from where Maria Sharapova and Petra Kvitova were enjoying a different kind of summer success by reaching the Wimbledon final, left no doubt European club soccer is almost a never-ending year-round affair.

With Pimms and strawberries and cream still being served up among the aces at Wimbledon, Fulham's first qualifying round, first-leg match against NSI Runavik of the Faroe Islands, which they won 3-0, took place at a time when football used to be in summer hibernation.

But now, just six weeks after Porto beat Braga in last season's Europa League final in Dublin, barely a month since Barcelona beat Manchester United in the Champions League final at Wembley, and six weeks before the start of the Premier League season, European club soccer has sneaked back into the schedule.

Fulham's new manager Martin Jol, who only took over last week, had no complaints about his side's first game taking place now, but had one eye on what was going on at Wimbledon.

"I hope to get there in the next couple of days and would love to see Andy Murray win the men's title, but I think he has an almost impossible task," said the Dutchman referring to the Briton's semi-final against top-seeded Spaniard Rafa Nadal.

"I was going to go the other day but it was raining."

Coming back to the task at hand, Jol felt he needed a bigger squad if Fulham were to negotiate their way through 23 matches and win the Europa League final in Bucharest next year.

"At least 20 very good players," he smiled, although he refused to complain about the early start to the campaign.

"Most of the other clubs will be playing their first friendlies in the next few days, so it makes no difference," he said.

Runavik, from the village of Nes on the southern tip of the island of Eysturoy, are fourth in the Faroese first division and about 20 fans from the local population of 3,800 came to see what the club's chairwoman Ragnhild Knudsen described as a "great, fun match for the club".

They gave a good account of themselves too with Runavik's shaven-headed Hungarian goalkeeper Andras Gango their man of the match and, although they will almost certainly be eliminated after next week's second leg, they were not disgraced.

Reflecting trends across the continent, Runavik have a multi-national squad with players from Ghana, Georgia, Cameroon and Hungary, but while they never stopping buzzing around in their yellow and black striped shirts, they rarely stung goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer into action.

http://gulftoday.ae/portal/c3cbf121-2dd0-4dd1-b348-2ac8dd35da44.aspx?

WhiteJC

DANNY MURPHY PLANS JOL-LY FUTURE AT FULHAM

DANNY MURPHY last night insisted he has no problem with new Fulham boss Martin Jol.

And he reckons the Cottagers are capable of repeating their Europa League heroics of two years ago under the Dutchman.

Jol signed Murphy from Charlton in 2006 when he was in charge at Tottenham.

But the midfielder started just seven league games in 18 months and quit for Fulham after a reported bust-up with Jol.

The pair have now been reunited at Fulham and Craven Cottage skipper Murphy insisted: "Me and Martin never fell out. Far from it.

"There were a lot of different ­factors that I didn't talk about.

"My dad had a terminal illness during my only full season at Tottenham and it wasn't something I started talking about in the papers because I didn't think it was relevant at the time.

"When I did get a chance there was good quality about me and I only played eight or 10 games on my best run.

"We had our disagreements at the time as I wanted to play and he was playing other people, but there was more to it than that.

"But there are mitigating circumstances sometimes, which people don't see and some of it might have been my fault and some of it might have been his.

"Of course I wish it had gone better but if it had gone better then I wouldn't have had the fantastic four years I've had here at Fulham.

"He knows my quality, he knows the way I work and I have never foreseen a problem with me and him and I don't in the future."

Fulham, the 2010 Europa League finalists, kicked off Jol's reign with a 3-0 first qualifying round first leg win over Faroese part- timers NSI Runavik on Thursday.

Murphy admitted he was baffled to be back in action in June.

But he reckons it could be the start of another European roller-coaster ride.

Murphy, who scored the Cottagers' second goal from the spot, said: "You usually relate things to certain times of year.

"And watching Wimbledon and training doesn't really work.

"This season with the Europa League is going to be a test but there is no point moaning.

"You've just got to see the positives. The memories of two years ago for every Fulham fan and everyone associated with the club will live long. So why not try to go on that type of run again?"

And next week's second leg in the Faroe Islands intrigues him.

He joked: "I hear there is 24-hour daylight there so if there are any nightclubs we'll be seen going in and out!"

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/198864/Danny-Murphy-plans-Jol-ly-future-at-Fulham/?

WhiteJC

The Right Way

After leading Fulham to a comfortable three-nil win in the UEFA Europa League on Thursday night, Captain Danny Murphy spoke of the brand of football Fulham fans can expect to see at the Cottage next season following the recent appointment of Martin Jol as Manager.

"I know Martin from my time at Tottenham," Murphy told fulhamfc.com. "I know his philosophies and he's a football man who wants to play the right way, which is important at this Club with the type of players we've got.

"It was important that the person who came in [to Fulham] was a football man – somebody who wasn't going to change the philosophies of the Club and the way we play. He certainly hasn't done that and he likes attacking football.

"I think he'd like to get us scoring more goals but I think it's that delicate balance between keeping us what we are, which is a nice solid well organised team, and adding that bit of flair to move us forward.

"Sometimes you've got to be careful not to change too much. Looking back over the last two or three years we're not bad and I think he's aware of that and he's addressed the lads a few times and said that and he's happy with the squad.

"Of course we need a few additions with the number of games we will be playing but he knows he's got a good squad and wants us to carry on playing good football. There will be things he wants more of but it will be tweaks and not an overhaul."

Murphy knows Jol well from his spell at White Hart Lane and when discussing his time at Spurs, Fulham's captain spoke of the factors at play which impacted upon his form on the pitch.

"Me and Martin never fell out – far from it. There were a lot of different factors that I didn't speak about at Tottenham. My Dad died when I was in my only full season at Tottenham and it wasn't something I started talking about in the papers as I didn't think it was relevant at the time.

"I was out of the scene for the best part of two months and obviously you lose some fitness and things didn't quite go well. When I did get a chance there was quality around me. I can't remember how many games I played in a run, probably eight or 10 in my best run, and I did okay but I didn't play as well as I could have.

"Of course when you're in the middle of it you'll have a difference of opinion because you think you should be playing. You've got to remember there was a hell of a good squad at Tottenham at that time and international players and looking back it was a good learning curve for me because it gave me a kick up the backside to kick on and move on, do something different and become a better player.

"Whilst I was doing well at Fulham in my first year or two, Martin contacted me a couple of times to say 'well done'. We had contact after I'd left Tottenham and we always got on. I knew that he'd want to play football and I knew he knew my qualities- after all he took me to Tottenham.

"He watches a lot of games and he knows what I've been doing and what I've achieved since I've been here so in that respect I don't feel like I've got anything to prove. He knows my quality and I know the way he works.

"He's been great since he got here. I'm still Captain and still playing and as long as I keep doing it on the pitch I'm sure that will remain the case."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/July/MurphyOnJol.aspx?#ixzz1QvMjvuAP

WhiteJC

Murphy hopes it's second best for him and Jol

Danny Murphy is determined to take his second chance under Martin Jol.

The Fulham skipper, who spent 18 unhappy months at White Hart Lane under Jol, said: "My dad died during my time at Spurs and I was off the scene for almost two months. As a result, I lost some fitness.

"We disagreed because I wanted to play and he [Jol] was playing other people.

"It gave me a bit of a kick up the backside to move on and be a better player and work that bit harder.

"But after I moved to Fulham, Martin contacted me to say, 'Well done.' There was no big row.

"Sometimes it is better the devil you know and he knows what I can do because he took me to Tottenham in the first place."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-news-Danny-Murphy-high-hopes-for-reunion-with-Martin-Jol-who-once-signed-him-for-Spurs-article755259.html#ixzz1QvNPDi1h

WhiteJC

Bolton and Fulham lead chase for Manchester City winger Bellamy

Bolton Wanderers and Fulham FC are leading the chase for Manchester City winger Craig Bellamy who could cost either club around £4m.

Bellamy spent the whole of last season on loan with Cardiff City, helping them to play-off place only to be undone by Reading at the semi-final stage. The 31 year old is keen to rejoin the Welsh side however it is unclear whether they are in a position to be able to purchase him permanently.

Bolton and Fulham are both in need of attacking forwards and at £4m Bellamy is a player both Martin Jol and Owen Coyle would like to bring to their respective clubs. There have been suggestions that Manchester City could offload the Welshman to Bolton in exchange for Gary Cahill on top of a cash payment although sources have denied that is Bolton's intention, preferring instead to sell Cahill for £17m and simply paying close to Manchester City's valuation for Bellamy.

http://footybunker.com/bolton-and-fulham-lead-chase-for-manchester-city-winger-bellamy/5149

WhiteJC

Jol on Win over NSI Runavik
Having seen his new charges ease to a 3-0 win over NSI Runavik, our new boss, Martin Jol, had a few words for the media.

First up was a reference to how weird it is to be playing now when the famous tennis tournament, just down the road in SW1, is still in progress with Jol commenting,

"It`s a bit strange to be playing now."

"I`m a big tennis fan and we were going to Wimbledon the other day. It was all organized but then it started raining."

A typical English summer we`d call it!

But as for last night, Jol seemed pretty pleased with how things had gone, remarking,

"We had to approach this as a serious game and that`s exactly what we did."

"It wasn`t possible to learn anything I didn`t know about the players."

"We started brightly but the second half was better. I was disappointed we only scored three goals but I ill forgive them."

"The players are only 80 per cent match fit at the moment. They were a bit tired and it will take another couple of weeks to get really ready."

I can`t see us losing over in the Faroe Islands and letting this tie slip away, can you?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=245924#ixzz1QvQ3OYe2

WhiteJC

Segers is back at Fulham as coach

Football: Former Forest 'keeper Hans Segers has been appointed goalkeeping coach at Fulham.

Manager Martin Jol has brought in Segers to fill the role vacated by another former Forest 'keeper, Kevin Hitchcock. Segers previously worked with Jol at Tottenham.

Forest reserve striker Nialle Rodney is having a trial with Bradford City. The 20-year-old is available on a free transfer after being released by Forest.

Another former Forest youngster, midfielder Adriano Moke, has signed for York. The 21-year-old moves to Bootham Crescent from the Glenn Hoddle Academy.

Former Stags and Notts manager Billy Dearden has returned to Sheffield United as chief scout.

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/story-12867959-detail/story.html?

WhiteJC

Deal For Gera Agreed?
Sky Sports and others are reporting that personal terms have been agreed with Zoltan Gera.

Gera is available on a free after being released by Fulham, and Sky are suggesting that he's snubbed interest from Italy and other English clubs, to make the move back to the Hawthorns.

The 32 year old will be signed on a 2 year contract, and the club will have a third year option should they want it, if all goes well with the medical - which rumours have it, took place on Friday.

Read more: http://www.wba.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=246003#ixzz1QvxhvbeT

WhiteJC

West Brom: Zoltan Gera on why a return to the Hawthorns is so appealing

ZOLTAN Gera prepared for his Albion return by citing Roy Hodgson as a key factor in his decision to move back to the club.

The 32-year-old was last night still waiting to sign a two-year deal, with a one-year option, having undergone a medical and discussed personal terms.

Gera played for Albion between 2004 and 2008, before leaving for Fulham on a free transfer.

The midfielder helped Fulham, then managed by Hodgson, to a European spot in his first year, before playing a key role in their march to the Europa League cup final the following season.

Gera, who played 155 times for Albion during his first spell at the club, revealed that the Baggies boss was key influence during his recent years.

"I admire and respect Roy Hodgson very much," said Gera, who made 123 appearances for Fulham, scoring 17 times.

"He's one of the best coaches I've ever had.

"I want to regain my confidence and trust in football and I would be very happy to work with Roy Hodgson again.

"I am very happy about going back to West Brom – it's the club where I had my first success in England."

Meanwhile, goalkeeper Scott Carson finally completed his move to Turkish club Bursaspor for an undisclosed fee – thought to be an initial £1.5million, rising to £2million.

Roy Hodgson said: "In the three months I worked with Scott, I cannot fault his professionalism and dedication.

"He has been a good servant to the club and I would like to wish him all the best for the future as he looks to broaden his experience by playing in a foreign country."

The Baggies also rubber-stamped the departure of Borja Valero yesterday afternoon.

The Spain international completed his permanent move to Villarreal for an undisclosed fee.

Borja, who signed for Albion from Real Mallorca in a club record deal worth £4.7million back in 2008, failed to settle in England.

The ex-Real Madrid man struggled to cope with the physicality of the Premier League, not helped by playing in a relegation-bound Albion side which found itself out-muscled all-too-often under Tony Mowbray.

Borja returned to Real Mallorca for a loan spell in 2009 but they were unable to afford his transfer fee.

Villarreal stepped in to take him on a binding loan-to-permanent deal last season, where his form continued to prosper.

I understand the Baggies have recouped roughly what they paid for him three years ago.

Meanwhile, defender James Hurst has been called into England's squad for this month's Under-20s World Cup in Colombia.

Read More http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/west-bromwich-albion-fc-news/2011/07/02/west-brom-zoltan-gera-on-why-a-return-to-the-hawthorns-is-so-appealing-97319-28980754/?#ixzz1Qx4L4ko7

WhiteJC

Murphy - No rift with Jol
Cottagers skipper looking forward to working with former Spurs boss

Danny Murphy foresees no problems as he begins a second stint working under Martin Jol.

With the Dutch coach having inherited the reins at Fulham from Mark Hughes, Cottagers skipper Murphy has renewed acquaintances with the man who took him to Tottenham in 2006.

Things did not work out for the midfielder at White Hart Lane, though, as he was restricted to just seven league starts in 18 months.

A lack of action saw Murphy moved on to Fulham, with reports suggesting he had suffered a falling-out with Jol over his team selection.

Murphy insists that is not the case and claims he is looking forward to working under the highly-regarded tactician again in 2011/12.

"Me and Martin never fell out. Far from it," he said."There were a lot of different factors that I didn't talk about.

Disagreements

"My dad had a terminal illness during my only full season at Tottenham and it wasn't something I started talking about in the papers because I didn't think it was relevant at the time.

"When I did get a chance there was good quality about me and I only played eight or 10 games on my best run.

"We had our disagreements at the time as I wanted to play and he was playing other people, but there was more to it than that.

"But there are mitigating circumstances sometimes, which people don't see and some of it might have been my fault and some of it might have been his.

"Of course I wish it had gone better but if it had gone better then I wouldn't have had the fantastic four years I've had here at Fulham.

"He knows my quality, he knows the way I work and I have never foreseen a problem with me and him and I don't in the future."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_7014992,00.html?

WhiteJC

Reunited!
Often when a new boss arrives and it`s the same boss you worked for but found yourself sold, it can be an anxious time.

Danny Murphy, as all the leading tabloids seem to have pointed out this morning, played under Martin Jol, at Spurs, but matters didn`t go as planned.

The untimely death of Danny`s father meant that his fitness suffered and his Spurs career suffered as a result.

Speaking about his time at Spurs, under Jol, Danny has commented to the tabloid press,

"My dad died during my time at Spurs and I was off the scene for almost two months. As a result I lost some fitness."

"We disagreed because I wanted to play and he (Jol) was playing other people."

"It gave me a bit of a kick up the backside to move on and be a better player and work that bit harder."

But although there was a parting of the ways, it seems that there was still some kind of bond between the two with Danny adding,

"But after I moved to Fulham, Martin contacted me to say, 'Well done`. There was no big row."

"Sometimes it is better the devil you know and he knows what I can do because he took me to Tottenham in the first place."

The world moves in mysterious ways."

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=246041#ixzz1Qx4yf8dR

WhiteJC

Gera`s a Baggie Again!
After a period of uncertainty, it`s now been announced that Zoltan Gera has left Craven Cottage.

Gera, who was signed from West Bromwich Albion, was finally released by Fulham this summer and after much debate the Hungarian international has finally decided to return to the Hawthorns to play for a very familiar face in the shape of Roy Hodgson.

Gera is expected to sign a two year deal and we wish him well.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=246042#ixzz1Qx5AHzGt

WhiteJC

Where does Briggs fit in?
by LYDIA on JULY 2, 2011

I, like so many Fulham fans, was extremely impressed with young Matty Briggs on Thursday night. At left back he seemed very comfortable, especially with Hughes and Hangeland beside him to keep him right. He has good foot work and doesn't dive needlessly into a tackle. His good foot work also contributes to him having a good bit of skill and flair, something that football fans love to see! His pace is also very useful for him when running up the line which is what he loves doing. Two questions need to be answered about him though; Should he be given the starting place more regularly and where should he be played- left back or left mid?

1) Should he be given the starting place more regularly?

Jol has already said that he wants to bring some of the younger guys up to the first squad and Briggs is likely to be one of the first he thinks of purely because he has already sort of made his break through. I really enjoyed watching him play last year. Who doesn't love seeing somebody come through the ranks and into the first team? However the question is should he start more often. Currently in left back we have Salcido, Kelly and Briggs himself (Baird can also play here but I am going to assume that he will hold on to that right back spot). I was a bit surprised by the amount of criticism of our Mexican man last year. Salcido played well I thought, but he doesn't seem to be happy in London so could move on soon. Kelly is a player who I don't feel that confident about so would have Briggs above him in the pecking order. I think Jol should take a bit of a risk and start with Briggs in at least all of our Europa games. I would love to see him start in the league, especially as he did so well last year against the likes of Arsenal but Jol might favor experience over youth at the start of the league anyway. I say see how he does in Europe and then gradually bring him in for our PL games.

2) Left back or left mid?

Some people were asking this question but I think he should stick to left back. Besides, who would he play ahead of in midfield? He is a very attacking left back and that might worry some people as to whether or not he can get back if the opposition goes on the break. But I think that him being attacking will benefit our attack and here is why. If you have ever my pieces before you might know that I am a hockey player so I'll use another hockey example here. As a right back, my primary objective is obviously to defend. However, I often find that I am often in the oppositions half rather than my own. The key is in the positioning! As long as I hold a good position when attacking then I can ensure that I don't get caught out at the back. We are a solid defense and don't leak many goals, rather like Fulham. My strength is that I can contribute significantly to the attack while still having good positioning so that I can defend. I have found that having an extra person in attack to provide an option can really stretch the opposition and therefore allow us to find gaps in the defense. This is exactly the same with Fulham with Briggs and Baird. As our wing backs, they should attack but not commit too much. As long as they remember their primary objective then they will ensure that they don't leave our own defense too vulnerable.

I think he as a bright future at Fulham ahead of him and am extremely excited to see what he can do for us more often!

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/07/where-does-briggs-fit-in/?

WhiteJC

Fulham offer €8m for Jeffren
by DAN on JULY 2, 2011

Reports from Spain suggest that Fulham have tabled an €8m bid for Barcelona forward Jeffren.

Spanish newspaper Sport published the claim today and said that Jeffren, who has already turned down the chance to join Udinese, will meet with Barcelona on Monday to discuss his future. The 23-year-old starred during this summer's European under-21 championships and made Spain's first goal in their victory over Switzerland in the final.

Liverpool and Valencia are also reportedly interested in the Barcelona youngster.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/07/fulham-offer-e8m-for-jeffren/?