watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Shin pads

Started by FC Silver Fox, July 02, 2011, 01:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FC Silver Fox

There is a picture of Danny Murphy in the Saturday Fulham Stuff thread, where you can clearly see the Fisher-Price shin pads he's wearing. They don't protect the bottom half of his legs at all. No wonder players keep breaking their legs. Are all modern shin pads like this?  They certainly look a lot thicker than the ones we used to wear though.
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

finnster01

I don't know about Mr Smurph, but I have noticed that trend also. They seem to leave a dangerous gap around the ankles. Maybe that can partly explain some of the nasty increase in ankle injuries in general.

I guess the players want to feel being as close to the ball as possible and yet comply with the rules but those guards seems to be getting smaller and smaller, yet when you play Stoke and Wolves twice a year I would have preferred the old ones that went all the way over the ankles too.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

WhiteJC

I wonder why they are bigger? you'd think with 'modern materials' like kevlar they would be lighter and stronger?

finnster01

Just checked the photo Mr Fox.

Those things would be as useful protection as the Maginot line was.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

CorkedHat

Shin pads? When I was a kid we'd use copies of Readers Digest which we nicked from the doctor's waiting room.
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

HatterDon

George Best never even let socks cover his shins. There must be a picture of him playing without shin pads, with socks pushed down to his ankles. I remember a huge hue and cry over this when young Manchester lads started emulating him.

His legs must have been made of titanium!
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

epsomraver

Quote from: HatterDon on July 02, 2011, 03:11:02 PM
George Best never even let socks cover his shins. There must be a picture of him playing without shin pads, with socks pushed down to his ankles. I remember a huge hue and cry over this when young Manchester lads started emulating him.

His legs must have been made of titanium!

I didn't realise but shin guards are compulsory now days, I remember the pads with the pieces of Bamboo in them which when whacked split like needles and caused more pain than the kick