https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (05/07/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, July 05, 2011, 07:47:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham skipper won't take Runavik for granted
Fulham - Danny Murphy not counting any chickens despite 3-0 lead

Fulham captain Danny Murphy maintains his side will not take anything for granted against when they look to finish off NSI Runavik in the Faroe Islands on Thursday night and stay on course for the Europa League.

New manager Martin Jol enjoyed a winning start with last week's 3-0 victory in their first qualifying round first leg clash at Craven Cottage, where Murphy netted from the spot.

However, the former Liverpool midfielder maintains the squad cannot think the job is already done as their build-up to the new domestic campaign continues in unlikely surroundings of Torshavn.

"It is a difficult one at three-nil. If it was five it would probably be easier. I would expect one or two of the young lads to play maybe," Murphy told the club's official website, www.fulhamfc.com. "Of course you need the spine of the team, but when you play away it could be a dodgy pitch and it only takes one mistake and you can be a goal down after 10 minutes."

He added: "You have to be careful, but let's be honest, whatever team we play we should be comfortable with a three-nil lead.

"As the game went on at the Cottage we should have scored more goals and wrapped it up."

Fulham were handed the opportunity to compete in Europe via UEFA's Fair Play League, but still have a long road ahead before they can contemplate tackling the group stages.

Having reached the 2010 Europa League final under Roy Hodgson, Murphy would welcome another shot and believes progression through the qualifiers should see Jol's men hit the ground running for their opening Barclays Premier League game against Aston Villa.

http://www.givemefootball.com/europa-league/fulham-skipper-wont-take-runavik-for-granted?

WhiteJC

South Africa's Dikgacoi completes Crystal Palace move

Crystal Palace have confirmed the signing of South Africa midfielder Kagisho Dikgacoi from Fulham for an undisclosed fee.

The 26-year-old was on loan at Palace last season, after a difficult spell at Fulham under former boss Mark Hughes.

Dikgacoi has decided to make his move to south London a permanent one after helping Palace stay up.

"Everything has been finalised and I have signed a three-year contract," Dikgacoi told the BBC.

"I am very excited and looking forward to helping the team qualify for Premier League next season."

Signed by Roy Hodgson from South African side Golden Arrows in 2009, the tough-tackling midfielder was an unused substitute for Fulham in the 2010 Europa League final.

But having fallen down the pecking order after Hodgson left to join Liverpool, Dikgacoi lost his place in the Bafana Bafana side and joined Palace in January in a bid to get more time on the pitch.

"Kagisho's my kind of player and I've persuaded the chairman to buy him," Palace manager Dougie Freedman said.

"At only 26, he is only going to get better with more games and I see it as a good investment for the football club.

"He wants to come here and play and I am only interested in players who are keen to play for Crystal Palace and will make us a better side."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14023074.stm?

WhiteJC

West Brom to ramp up Andy Johnson interest in bid to ward off QPR and Leicester

West Bromwich Albion are ready to rekindle their attempts to sign Andy Johnson and head off interest from Leicester and Queens Park Rangers.

Roy Hodgson is a long-term admirer of the former England striker and Johnson relished the time he spent working with West Brom's manager at Fulham.

The 30-year-old cost Fulham more than £10.5m when he joined from Everton in August 2008 but Albion would be hoping to sign him for a knockdown fee, as he only has 12 months on his contract left.

Firepower: The race for Andy Johnson - who hit three Premier League goals last term - is hotting up

Leicester would be prepared to offer Johnson £40,000 per week if he is willing to drop down to the Championship. The chance to work with Hodgson again, though, is likely to prove decisive.

West Brom are also hopeful of bringing free agent David Vaughan to the Hawthorns from Blackpool.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2011246/West-Brom-ramp-Andy-Johnson-bid-ward-QPR-Leicester.html#ixzz1RD9gPAl6

WhiteJC

CHRIS BAIRD SLAMS SNIPER MARK HUGHES

CHRIS BAIRD has hit back at former Fulham boss Mark Hughes for claiming the club lacks ambition.

Mark Hughes quit Fulham a month ago to progress in his career but so far has not got a new job.

And Fulham defender Chris Baird reckons he was wrong to question the ambition of the 2010 Europa League finalists.

He said: "That's Mark's opinion and he's entitled to it – but it's not one I share.

"We had a good season. We finished eighth and qualified for the Europa League again.

"We've been to the final already and been seventh since I've been here – the highest finish yet for the club.

''That sounds like ambitious to me."

Baird's Fulham team-mate Aaron Hughes claims Hughes left without saying goodbye to his players.

Martin Jol has since taken over and the first players knew about the changes were in texts sent by the club.

Northern Ireland star Hughes, set to start against NSI Runavik in the Europa League on Thursday, said: "Mark didn't say goodbye at all.

"I just got a text to say he was leaving and then another message later to say the new manager was coming in."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/199360/Chris-Baird-slams-sniper-Mark-Hughes/?

WhiteJC

The Kits Are All-White!
by LORK on JULY 5, 2011

A few musings on the NSI game last week...

It was a stronger team than I thought it'd be but I supposed Jol wants to get them match fit rather than have an in depth look in the reserves (he did say after the game that he'll play more reserve/youth players though, and dropped the name of Frei so he's one to look out for). It's nice to see that Zamora has (seemingly) shaken off his injury troubles but still with a two season trend of ending with an injury I'd still be worried about pushing him too far.

As expected neither winger offered much width, especially Davies, so it will be interesting to see whether Jol still plays with the two inverted wingers. I dont think he would have if Dembele was fit. In the second half he switched them round and seemed to be more pleased, naturally that would offer more width but it still didn't stretch the NSI defence so much in my opinion.As for the full backs it was very noticable just how much Baird didn't go down to the byline, or even past the 'D' of the penalty area, compared to Briggs. This is why I think that Baird is not a Jol type full back (as compared to Briggs who I thought was very good, amazing to see someone so composed and assured on the ball at his age, plus the number of times he got forward and balls into the box was encouraging which is about all you can take out from a game like that).

AJ looked sharp, one of our best performers in the game and got a touch on that Duff 'goal' so a brace from him. Our all round play was fairly sluggish and not so in tune with not alot of variance, if any, from last season, it's to be expected, but despite that we still should have gotten 5 or 6. Dalle Valle came off the bench to make his debut and seemed sprightly but didn't see much of the ball and probably should have scored with his chance in the 90th minute. The elusive Riise came off the bench too but made almost no impression whatsoever, I can't remember a thing he did.

All in all, a comfortable game in which we completely dominated and from which we didn't really learn a thing other than Etuhu might have learned to pass after he pinged a lovely cross field ball to the corner flag from the centre circle, one of my highlights from the game! Also fair play to the NSI fans who were entertaining throughout. Weather was nice, fans in good spirits, Jol getting a good reception and about as easy a game as we'll ever have. Lovely summers game of football really.

Also, the kit! I really like it, very smart. However there is definately something missing with the black shorts, it'd be a great third kit but just doesn't seem like a Fulham home strip without them.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/07/the-kits-are-all-white/?

WhiteJC

Rodgers lines up swoop for highly-rated Fulham stopper

SWANSEA City have targeted England squad goalkeeper David Stockdale as the replacement for Dorus de Vries.

And the Evening Post understands Brendan Rodgers hopes to tie up a deal for the 25-year-old before his players return for pre-season training next week.

Landing a first-choice keeper is Swansea's top priority after de Vries turned down the offer of a new deal at the Liberty in favour a move to Wolves.

And Rodgers, who is also believed to have inquired about Tottenham's Carlo Cudicini, is hopeful he has found the right man in the highly-rated Stockdale.

The 6ft 3in stopper made ten appearances for Fulham last season and won plaudits for his performances.

He saved a Nani penalty in a 2-2 draw against Manchester United last August, and managed clean sheets in half the games he played last term.

Stockdale's impressive showings caught the attention of Fabio Capello. He was set to be named in the England squad early last season only to miss out through injury, but his first call-up eventually came for the friendly against Denmark in February.

He was also included in the party for England's Euro 2012 qualifier against Switzerland in May but was absent for that game as he was getting married.

A former York City youngster, Stockdale's form at Darlington saw him move to Fulham in a £600,000 deal three years ago.

He has since had loan spells at Rotherham, Leicester and Plymouth, and new Fulham boss Martin Jol suggested last week that Stockdale will be sent out on loan again this season.

Swansea could sign him on a temporary basis, though it is understood Rodgers would ideally like to buy the Leeds-born player. The Swansea manager reckons Stockdale will suit his team as they take on the Premier League.

And he could be prepared to pay as much as £3 million to bring him to Wales.

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/story-12882956-detail/story.html?

White Noise

http://thesun.mobi/sol/homepage/sport/football/3677416/Fulham-take-revenge-for-Mark-Hughes-exit.html?mob=1

Fulham revenge for Hughes exit

FULHAM have ordered Mark Hughes' old staff to work with the kids for the new season

Published: 2011-07-05

FULHAM have got their revenge for Mark Hughes' walkout by ordering his old backroom staff to work with the kids.

Coaches Mark Bowen, Eddie Niedzwiecki and Kevin Hitchcock will be told to train Fulham's Academy rookies when they report back for work tomorrow.

The three, who joined the club along with ex-boss Hughes, remain under contract for another year as they did not have the same escape clause which allowed Sparky to quit without notice on June 2.

But there is no place for Bowen, Niedzwiecki and Hitchcock among the first team set-up.

Hughes' successor Martin Jol has brought in Martin Lindeman and promoted long-serving coach Ray Lewington to work with him.

Hughes triggered his get-out clause amid speculation he was to take over from Gerard Houllier at Aston Villa but it never materialised and Alex McLeish got the job.

Sources close to Hughes insist he quit out of frustration with the Fulham board and their failure to back him in the transfer market.

Fulham leave for the Faroes tomorrow defending a 3-0 Europa League lead against NSI Runavik.

WhiteJC

Martin Jol reveals Fulham loan plans

MARTIN Jol plans to send Fulham's fringe players out on loan rather than leave them sitting in the stands.

The new Whites boss has already offloaded South African midfielder Kagisho Dikgacoi to Crystal Palace on a permanent deal, while keeper David Stockdale is poised to go out on loan.

And the Dutchman has revealed he plans to ship out more of Fulham's youngsters in a bid  to get first-team football.

He said: "I feel if you are a young player you should play and there's a few young players here.

"So I feel we have to find opportunities for them to play, and that is what I did in Germany and Holland, and in England before.

"If you have a lot of youngsters who are probably not involved every week, I think you have to find a situation where they can play every week.

"So there will be a couple of players going out on loan. Hopefully I can send out 2-3 in Holland because that's a very good competition to play in for young players."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/07/05/martin-jol-reveals-fulham-loan-plans-82029-28995797/?#ixzz1RDzAxWx7

WhiteJC

Check Your Loyalty Points

he Loyalty Points scheme is a means of tracking supporters' dedication to following Fulham. All fans on our database automatically join the Loyalty Scheme and will be awarded points when attending games at home or away.

For games where availability is low and demand is high, those with the most loyalty points will have priority to purchase tickets first. Therefore, attending more matches at the Cottage and on the road means greater chance of attending games with a limited allocation.

To check how many Loyalty Points you have, log in to fulhamfc.com/tickets, and you will see your Loyalty Points displayed in the right hand column of the page, along with your other details.

We will also include your Loyalty Points total on emails we send to you.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/July/LoyaltyPoints.aspx?#ixzz1RDzafOIy

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_7021547,00.html

Fulham fancy Riise move

Jol eyes move for Roma defender

By Pete O'Rourke - Follow me: @skysportspeteo.   Last Updated: July 5, 2011 12:38pm

Riise: Linked with move back to the Premier League with Fulham

Skysports.com understands Fulham are lining up a move to bring former Liverpool defender John Arne Riise back to the Premier League.

Fulham boss Martin Jol is in the market for a new left-back with Mexican defender Carlos Salcido expected to leave Craven Cottage as he is homesick.

The Cottagers were thought to be considering a move to bring out of favour Liverpool defender Paul Konchesky back to Craven Cottage, but it appears their interest in the full-back has cooled.

Riise is now on Jol's radar with sources in Italy claiming Fulham have expressed an interest in the Roma defender.

Norway international Riise is entering the final year of his contract and he is expected to leave the Italian side this summer rather than the capital-based club seeing him move on a free transfer next summer.

New Roma coach Luis Enrique has already lined up a deal for Riise's replacement having made a move for Sporting Gijon's Jose Angel meaning they are open to offers.

Riise is believed to be keen on a return to England after enjoying seven successful years with Liverpool prior to his switch to Roma in 2008.

Should Riise make the move to Fulham he will join up with brother Bjorn Helge in West London.

WhiteJC

Murphy taking no chances
Skipper warns Cottagers to be careful in Torshavn

Captain Danny Murphy insists Fulham will take nothing for granted when they bid to finish off Faroese minnows NSI Runavik in the Europa League on Thursday night.

New boss Martin Jol started life at Craven Cottage on a high note last week when his side beat Runavik 3-0 in the first leg of their first qualifying round clash.

However Murphy, who netted from the spot on that occasion, maintains the squad cannot think the job is already done as their build-up to the new domestic campaign continues in the unlikely surroundings of Torshavn.

"It is a difficult one at 3-0. If it was five it would probably be easier. I would expect one or two of the young lads to play maybe," Murphy told the club's official website.

Spine

"Of course you need the spine of the team, but when you play away it could be a dodgy pitch and it only takes one mistake and you can be a goal down after 10 minutes.

"You have to be careful, but let's be honest, whatever team we play we should be comfortable with a 3-0 lead.

"As the game went on at the Cottage we should have scored more goals and wrapped it up."

Fulham were handed the opportunity to compete in Europe via Uefa's Fair Play League, but still have a long road ahead before they can contemplate tackling the group stages.

Having reached the 2010 Europa League final under Roy Hodgson, Murphy would welcome another shot and believes progression through the qualifiers should see Jol's men hit the ground running for their opening Premier League game against Aston Villa.

"It is a positive that we have got the opportunity to play in Europe again," said the former Liverpool, Charlton and Tottenham midfielder.

Problems

"Not everybody is used to doing it so it's going to be a test, but you've got to look at the positives, and the run of two years ago will live long in the memory of everybody associated with Fulham, so why not go on a good run again?

"In July you're playing friendly matches anyway, trying to get fit, so if anything we will be ahead of schedule.

"We might have some tired legs at the end of the season, but then it's down to the manager to rotate players.

"The problems come if you're trying to fight a relegation battle whilst playing European games. Let's hope we're not in that position.

"The squad is as healthy as it's ever been in terms of quality. We are lacking a few numbers and I am sure that will be addressed."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_7021936,00.html?

WhiteJC

Rovers eye Warner move
Kean looks to make keeper No.3 to Robinson and Bunn

Skysports.com understands Blackburn are closing in on a deal for former Liverpool and Fulham goalkeeper Tony Warner.

Warner is available on a free transfer after seeing out his contract at Tranmere and Blackburn are ready to offer him a surprise return to the Premier League.

Rovers are in the market for goalkeeping reinforcements after seeing Frankie Fielding join Derby and Jason Brown leave after his contract expired.

Ewood Park boss Steve Kean knows all about Warner having worked with him during his time at Fulham as assistant to Chris Coleman at Craven Cottage.

Kean is ready to add Warner to his squad as his No.3 keeper to provide cover for Paul Robinson and Mark Bunn.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11676_7021963,00.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham eye Roma defender

Fulham are reportedly interested in Roma's John Arne Riise as a replacement for Carlos Salcido.

Salcido is keen to return to Mexico after failing to settle in England, despite impressing on the pitch, and reports in Italy suggest that Riise is wanted by Fulham boss Martin Jol.

Riise has just one year left on his deal with Roma and is expected to move on this summer, with the Norway international keen to move back to the Premier League.

If Fulham do secure a deal for the former Liverpool man Riise will link up with his brother Bjorn Helge at Craven Cottage.

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/fulham-eye-roma-defender-1235247.html?

WhiteJC

Upmost Respect

A three-nil home leg victory over NSI Runavik last Thursday produced the perfect cushion for Martin Jol's Team to head to the Faroe Islands this week and secure a place in the next UEFA Europa Qualifying Round.

Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer is certainly hoping for another memorable European adventure this season and the Australian international spoke of the professional approach Fulham are taking to every match during the early rounds.

"It's a European game [against NSI Runavik], whether it's the first round, the fourth, or the fifth, it's still a big game," said Schwarzer. "Obviously the opposition is one that people will look at and think 'it's a nothing game,' but for us it's important to win the game. All you have to do is think about what would happen if you lose the game, that's enough motivation for anyone.

"It's still very early in the competition and this time we're in round one, so we've got to do it like we did last time and take every round as it comes. As long as we can maintain our good performances in the Premier League, as well as in Europe, everyone will be happy.

"I think the teams that start off early do really well at the start of the season – let's just wait and see. Let's hope we get the balance right between work and rest. Hopefully we can have a very good season again."

Schwarzer and company certainly seem to be enjoying their work under Martin Jol following the Dutchman's arrival at Craven Cottage, as the Australian keeper pointed out prior to Wednesday's flight to the Faroe Islands.

"He's [Martin Jol] been good, he's obviously got a lot of experience in the game and he's held some very big coaching positions over the last couple of years. He's a big personality, he's slotted in very easily and the players have responded really well. He has the upmost respect from all the players."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/July/SchwarzerPraisesJol.aspx?#ixzz1RFXbk2Sk

WhiteJC

Fulham eye Serie A star

Fulham are reportedly interested in Roma's John Arne Riise as a replacement for Carlos Salcido.
Salcido is keen to return to Mexico after failing to settle in England, despite impressing on the pitch, and reports in Italy suggest that Riise is wanted by Fulham boss Martin Jol.

Riise has just one year left on his deal with Roma and is expected to move on this summer, with the Norway international keen to move back to the Premier League.

If Fulham do secure a deal for the former Liverpool man Riise will link up with his brother Bjorn Helge at Craven Cottage.

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/fulham-eye-serie-a-star-1235247.html?

leonffc

For some reason my phone won't let me start a new topic but SSN are reporting Fulham are trying to buy Thomas Ince from Liverpool.

Whoopee!

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: leonffc on July 05, 2011, 06:06:40 PM
For some reason my phone won't let me start a new topic but SSN are reporting Fulham are trying to buy Thomas Ince from Liverpool.

Whoopee!
Yeah saw that, a winger. Paul Inces son perhaps? If we still have the ex Liverpool youth coach then i can see this one being true.

WhiteJC

Taking Stock

Looking at the news today I was shocked to read Swansea want to pay £3 million for young David Stockdale.

I thought it strange to read Fulham linked to other goalkeepers when we already have three.

Send him out on loan Martin by all means but please don`t sell him he iS our future!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=246339#ixzz1RFhwW5zV

leonffc

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on July 05, 2011, 06:13:16 PM
Quote from: leonffc on July 05, 2011, 06:06:40 PM

Whoopee!
Yeah saw that, a winger. Paul Inches son perhaps? If we still have the ex Liverpool youth coach then i can see this one being true.

Yeah it is son. He had him on loan at Notts county when was there as boss. Very highly rated but not the transfer I was hoping for.

Mr Fulham

SSN confirm Swansea have made an official bid for David Stockdale.