watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (06/07/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, July 06, 2011, 07:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Former Liverpool star to sign for Fulham?

John Arne Riise could be back in the Premier League this summer as reports suggest Fulham are lining up a bid for the former Liverpool defender.

Sky Sports suggests that new Fulham manager Martin Jol is in the market for a new left-back as the current occupier, Mexican Carlos Salcido, is expected to leave Craven Cottage due to homesickness.

It was originally thought that Jol would make a move to bring former player and Liverpool flop Paul Konchesky back to Fulham, but it seems that interest in Konchesky has cooled and Jol is looking abroad for a suitable replacement.

Riise is in the last year of his contract at Serie A club AS Roma and it is rumoured that they would rather cash in on him now rather than seeing him leave next year on a free transfer.

New Roma coach Luis Enrique has already lined up a replacement for Riise having made a move for Sporting Gijon's Jose Angel, a move which would only strengthen Jol's hopes of capturing a defender who was well established in the Premier League through his seven years at Liverpool.

http://www.cleansheetsallround.co.uk/2011/07/former-liverpool-star-to-sign-for-fulham?

WhiteJC

Faroe Islands: A Fan's View

It's fair to say that when the Whites were drawn to face NSI Runavik of the Faroe Islands few fans knew little about our First Qualifying Round opponents. Fortunately Georg Festetics, one of Fulham's newest fans did, and here's his low-down of what to expect...

"The great thing about playing in Europe is that it gives you the chance to see parts of the world that you otherwise might not – especially in these early rounds.

I do a lot of travelling through my job as well, and one of the places that I have become familiar with is the Faroe Islands, so I like to think that I know what's in store for Martin Jol's team.

A few of the Runavik squad are internationals, while a few have played in various league across the globe and we shouldn't forget that this is their fourth consecutive year of European football - although they are yet to progress from the First Qualifying Round.

Fulham's trip will be very interesting as the Faroe Islands can be a tough place to go – just ask Aaron Hughes and Chris Baird who were part of the Northern Ireland team that were held to a memorable 1-1 draw at the Svangaskard Stadium.

It may look like the most picturesque stadium in Europe, but when those winds cut in from the sea there is nowhere to hide. It's not the most forgiving of places.

The Faroe Islands offer the most impressive scenery and landscapes I have ever seen, but at the same time it has the most unpredictable weather. It's constantly changing – I was there not too long ago and saw snow, rain, wind and sun all in one day! So for those fans who are travelling, take clothes for all occasions.

The total area is approximately 1,400 square kilometers with a 2010 population of almost 50,000. Seventeen of the 18 islands are inhabited, some only reachable by helicopter (three days a week, provided by Atlantic Airways) or ferries (daily).

What else should the fans expect? Well, the food is highly sophisticated and expensive (everything from the fish and lamb meat is imported), and the women highly attractive!

The people also really love their football, and there is a pitch in every village that you will see. The First and Second Divisions have 10 teams each and they play a regular cup and super cup (although they rest between November and March because of the weather).

Boys and girls play from the earliest age, and I'm yet to see a tennis court or ice hockey field – it really is all about football up there.

Like their Scandinavian neighbours they do of course, love the Premier League, so don't be surprised to see a lot of Liverpool and Manchester United shirts. Fulham, being one of the most traditional teams are very much respected over there and they will know all about the Whites as they do most English teams.

For me, this is the perfect place for the team's second UEFA Europa League adventure to begin – it will certainly be one of the most interesting places fans will have travelled to.

Like the rest of the supporters, I am very much looking forward to another European adventure. I'm originally from Austria, and having moved to London only a few years ago it didn't take long for me to take this club to my heart.

The first game I saw at Craven Cottage was the 3-0 defeat of FK Vetra Third Qualifying Round last time around and from that night I was hooked. In fact, I watched every home game in the UEFA Europa League and went to the game in Roma and both the Semi-Final and Final in Hamburg.

I booked my ticket to the Faroe Islands when this fixture was announced and I can't wait to get out there. It look sets to be another exciting season and having already enjoyed the wonderful European campaign of the 2009/10 season it would be great to add to those very special memories.

I'm sure Martin Jol and the boys will be fit and hungry for the challenge, so I can see no reason why we can't go all the way to Bucharest?!"

Georg Festetics

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/July/FaroeIslandsAFansView.aspx#ixzz1RKxZe200

WhiteJC

Chivas to offer Salcido escape route from Fulham

Chivas Guadalajara want to offer Fulham left-back Carlos Salcido a route home to Mexico.

Fulham are increasingly aware of Salcido's homesickness in London and Martin Jol is said to be willing to listen to offers for the 31-year-old, with the Dutchman in the market for a new left-back.

Salcido immediately impressed at Craven Cottage following his arrival from PSV last summer but as time wore on last season, his form dipped and rumours of unrest started to emerge.

The defender was also the victim of a break-in at his London home, adding to his family's wishes to return to their South American home.

The Mexico international began his career with Chivas and the club are keen on taking him back to his home country.

Salcido's contract at Fulham expires in 2013 and Chivas are willing to offer around £1m to give him the chance to return home.

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/8843/3/chivas-offer-salcido-escape-route-fulham?

WhiteJC

Game Preview - NSI Runavik (a)

Those making the arduous trip to one of Europe's more far reaching, secluded, Northern entities tomorrow may not have a compelling spectacle at hand, but will certainly be doused with entertainment in the form of Runavik goalkeeper Andras Gango, whom, in the first leg, spent more time on the floor in a makeshift foetal position then he did standing up.

The Faroe Islands, for Danny Murphy at least, is a place rarely visited by footballers these days; especially not in early July. And, for those players that consider a trip north cushioned by a fanciful 3-0 lead as a lesser holiday, Mark Schwarzer has been quick to quell any potential complacency: "All you have to do is think about what would happen if you lose the game, that's enough motivation for anyone," the Australian stated to fulhamfc.com.

A 3-0 head start is perhaps more flattering for the travelling Fulham side than their first leg performance suggested. At some points, the match provided such dire viewing that the Hammersmith End could be heard to urge opposition players to shoot. They didn't, of course, and that is partly why even the most lackadaisical and half-hearted performance should see us comfortably progress to the next qualifying round tomorrow evening. The Craven Cottage tie, whilst painstaking at times, was only a fair reflection on a Fulham side not-so-freshly returning from a distinctly shortened Summer break. Jol may have put faith into a strong first team line-up, but a lack of match fitness was prevalent and an eye for goal certainly wasn't forthcoming, especially in Bobby Zamora's case.

The return tie should offer a more open and expansive game, with playing conditions probably dictating the flow of the game. With that in mind, Jol is unlikely to risk too many of his stars in his starting line-up, although the opportunity to assess his newly inherited first team may prove too compelling. Certainties to miss the game remain Clint Dempsey, Carlos Salcido and Moussa Dembele; the latter injured and the first two still away due to international ties.

NSI coach Pauli Poulsen, in the meantime, has labelled the up-and-coming second leg as "the biggest match many have experienced."

Score Prediction: NSI Runavik 0(0) - 3(6) Fulham

Predicted Line-Up: Schwarzer; Briggs, Hangeland, Senderos, Hughes; Davies, Frei, Sidwell, Duff; Zamora, A.Johnson

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2011/7/6/2262120/game-preview-nsi-runavik-a?

WhiteJC

On Familiar Ground

Chris Baird will be in familiar territory on Thursday evening when the Whites take on NSI Runavik Thursday in the second leg of their UEFA Europa League qualification tie.

The Northern Ireland defender faced the Faroe Islands last October in a European Championship qualification match at the Svangaskard Stadium, Toftir – so he certainly knows what to expect.

"It's up on a big hill - it's windy, cold - not the best facilities. But we have to go there and do the job," Baird told fulhamfc.com.

"You have to treat every team with respect, no matter who they are. It's down to us at the end of the day. We know that we're the better team, with great experience and good players. We have to go there and do the job, get a win and get back home and qualify, getting into the next round.

"It's nice to see these different places, obviously I've been there before, so I know what to expect. I'm sure for other players it will be an eye-opener because there's not a lot there and not a lot to do.

"It's going to be short and sharp but we know what to expect, so we'll go there, get the job done and get back home again."

Despite having only been back in training for a short period of time, Baird revealed that the squad have been looking in fine fettle.

"I think I speak for everyone in saying that we're all looking sharp in training," he said. "To be fair all the boys have come back fit and well. Most have only had two weeks off like Brede and Philippe Senderos, and the rest have had about four. So to be fair we've not lost much from last season anyway- it takes a bit more to lose your fitness. We've all come back fit and well, and we're raring to go!

"Most of the players will feel like it's a friendly. But it's in their minds as well that it's the Europa League, so we have to treat it as we would any other game."

For Thursday's victors a tie against Crusaders awaits in the second round – a fixture Baird is hoping to be a part of.

"It would be nice obviously to get back to Ireland. I don't go back much myself," he explained.
"It would be another tough game because I know what to expect from them. It's not easy going away to any team and as I said before we've got the quality in the team and we're getting fit, and we'll be raring to go."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/July/BairdNSIawayPreview.aspx?#ixzz1RLI0N8zs

WhiteJC

Ex-Liverpool defender on Fulham's radar - report

John Arne Riise could be set to return to England to join his brother Bjorn Helge at Fulham, according to Italian reports.

Former Liverpool left-back Riise is surplus to requirements at Roma and was last week linked with a move to Championship club Southampton.

John Arne Riise set for South Coast return? (Report)
Former Liverpool star John Arne Riise could return to English football with Championship side Southampton.

The Italian press are reporting that the Riise does not figure in the plans of new Roma coach Luis Enrique.

This has alerted newly-promoted Saints, who are lining up an ambitious bid to lure the Norwegian to the south coast.

However it now seems that new Cottagers boss Martin Jol is prepared to offer the Norwegian international another chance in the Premier League.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Ex-Liverpool-defender-John-Arne-Riise-on-Fulham-s-radar-report-article760256.html#ixzz1RLIVNxm5

WhiteJC

Stockdale Swansong?

I`d hoped that it was all tabloid rubbish!

I`d hoped that Fulham had no intention of even discussing letting David Stockdale off the premises let alone sending him elsewhere.

But that does appear to be exactly what might be about to happen.

Yesterday the rumour broke that Swansea City were enquiring about our young keeper who only last year made it into the full England squad.

Today the tabloid press contains a quote that infers that Martin Jol might be persuaded to let him leave Craven Cottage either on a permanent basis or a loan when he`s quoted as having remarked,

"If you are a young player you should play so I feel we have to find opportunities for them."

Let it be a loan spell please! The guy has talent and should be our keeper one day!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=246441#ixzz1RLLUrhiJ