https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (09/07/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, July 09, 2011, 07:15:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham plan to gain from early start
Fulham - Stephen Kelly confident Europa League fixtures can be a benefit

Stephen Kelly believes Fulham's early start to the season - and the unusual experience of playing in the Faroe Islands - will stand the club in good stead as they embark on another European adventure.

Fulham, whose early start has ensured they will play a competitive match in every month of 2011, advanced to the second qualifying round of the Europa League with a 3-0 aggregate win over NSI Runavik.

Martin Jol's side were frustrated at being held to a goalless draw by the Faroese part-timers on Thursday night despite creating a host of chances. But Kelly told the club's official website: "It's started early for us again but it's got that feeling of another European tour already."

He added: "It would be great if we could continue progressing and it's great to go away to different countries.

"I'd never been to the Faroe Islands before and it's a landscape we would never see unless we were involved in the UEFA Europa League.

"We should benefit from the fact we're playing competitive games rather than friendly matches.

"We had good chances and plenty of possession but they defended in numbers and made it difficult.

"We got a clean sheet and it was a good performance at the back and we're through to the next round.

"It's been a good test for us and as much as it was a competitive match, it was only our second game of the season on Thursday night.

"Now we'll be sharper and hopefully that will show against the Crusaders next week."

Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/fulham-plan-to-gain-from-early-start?

WhiteJC

Hungarian goalkeeper Csaba Somogyi claims Fulham deal
The Cottagers have apparently signed the shot-stopper from second division side Rakospalotai EAC, with the 26-year-old having impressed Martin Jol when he was manager of Ajax

Goalkeeper Csaba Somogyi has claimed he is to join Fulham from Hungarian second division side Rakospalotai EAC after agreeing a one-year deal with the club.

Martin Jol was impressed by the 26-year-old's talent and promised to sign him up after he was trialed at former club Ajax in December.

The goalkeeper told Origo.hu: "I arrived home in Hungary on Thursday evening and everything had gone well in England so I signed a one-year long contract with Fulham.
"I attended two training sessions during my eight days at the club and on the last two days I underwent a medical, and I'm happy to say that I passed it.

"I'll go back on Sunday and continue the pre-season with my new team."

Somogyi could replace wantway keeper David Stockdale, with Swansea and Championship side Leeds eager to gain his services either on loan or in a permanent deal

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/07/08/2566318/hungarian-goalkeeper-csaba-somogyi-claims-fulham-deal?

WhiteJC

MEDICAL FOR MARTIN JOL'S £3M MASTERSTROKE

Speculation is rife that John Arne Riise could be on his way to join his brother Bjorn Helge at Fulham Football Club.

With Carlos Salcido reportedly homesick and expected to be granted his wish to leave England, a new left-back is one of Jol's top priorities this summer. Add to this the fact that the Fulham squad are already in full flow playing Europa League Qualifiers and one can start to understand why additional recruits for strength in depth has become an even more increasing concern for the Dutchman.

If the speculated fee of £2.6m is accurate then the deal would represent a very astute piece of business in a currently highly inflated market. In the current 'era' of footballers, there appears to be a slight shortage of quality left-backs. Beyond Cole, Evra and Abidal the list of genuine natural full-backs starts to run a bit dry. There are many who appear to be more left a midfielder or winger like Bale, Michel Bastos, Maxwell and the likes of Giorgio Chiellini and Thomas Vermaelen are centre-backs at heart. Riise is arguably one of the top five natural left-backs in the current game, making him a hot property and a fantastic potential acquisition.

The signing of a consistent top quality full-back would considerably help Martin Jol's tough task at Fulham. Riise has seven years Premier League experience thanks to his exploits at Liverpool, including over twenty goals for the club. In the modern game, a ferocious long shot, whipped corner or fizzing free-kick are valuable assets that can win a team points. Riise possesses all of these and could make Martin Jol's first season with Fulham a bit easier if signed – especially when you consider the West London club have the mighty Brede Hangeland to make use of these deliveries!

It is difficult for any club to breach the top six area of the Premier League now without substantial financial backing and Martin Jol has a big job to keep Fulham in the top half this season. That is no disrespect to Fulham –  just the way the league is – and you get the impression this is exactly the reason why Mark Hughes left after one season. The speculation over Riise should excite Fulham fans and they should be willing him to join the club. He is still just thirty years old and a top quality left-back who could walk into most Premier League sides.

http://www.footballtransfertavern.com/2011/07/premiership/medical-for-martin-jols-3m-masterstroke?

WhiteJC

Shakhter, Fulham advance to 2nd round

LONDON: FC Shakhter Karagandy and FC Irtysh beat the odds to qualify for the second round of the Europa League while Fulham sailed through with a 3-0 aggregate win.

Fulham are comfortably through to the second round of the Europa League after a 0-0 draw at NSI Runavik. The Faroese club put up a spirited performance but the 2009-2010 Europa League finalists held on to their three goal advantage from the first leg at Craven Cottage to set up an encounter against Northern Irish side Crusaders FC.

The closest that the Cottagers got to a goal was a Damien Duff screamer from 25 yards out which struck the crossbar after just five minutes, although the Barclays Premier League side struggled to carve out clear-cut chances from then on.

Runavik's keeper Andras Gango had an impressive game as he denied Andrew Johnson on three occasions and organized his defence well. Forward Klamint Olsen almost netted for the hosts but his shot from inside the box went narrowly wide of Mark Schwarzer's goal. Affairs were tenser in other matches. Kazakh sides FC Shakhter Karagandy and FC Irtysh Pavlodar overcame first leg defeats to dispatch FC Koper and Jagiellonia Bia_ystok respectively.

Staring elimination in its face after conceding a precious away goal the first half, an Ulan Konysbayev brace enabled Shakhter to dispatch Slovenian side FC Koper with an aggregate score of 3-2.

"That was a nervous game," Shakhter coach Viktor Kumykov told the official UEFA website.

"I also had to say some harsh words in the changing room during the break. Koper are a very good team, but we had great help from our supporters. I want to thank them and congratulate them on this victory."

First-half goals from Mamatou Coulibaly and Gleb Maltsev gave Irtysh a 2-0 victory over Polish club Jagiellonia Bia_ystok, who let a 1-0 first leg advantage slip. Malian defender Coulibaly expressed his joy in helping his side progress.

"The coach told me I'm good in the air and should come forward for corners

"I'm thrilled [to have scored]."

FK Rad's away encounter with SP Tre Penne in San Marino saw goals galore, as the Serbian side saw off their opponents 3-1 to wrap up the biggest aggregate win of the first round- an emphatic 9-1 victory over the Sammarinese minnows.

http://gulftoday.ae/portal/74aff378-e185-4670-8fd0-fe96b2730284.aspx?

WhiteJC

Fulham agree fee for Ince
by DAN on JULY 8, 2011

Sky Sports are suggesting that Fulham have agreed a fee of £250,000 for Liverpool youngster Thomas Ince.

Ince, the son of the former Liverpool and England international Paul, has also been linked with a loan move to Championship side Blackpool. The 19 year-old has just made one first-team appearance for Liverpool as a substitute in their League Cup defeat to Northampton last season and spent three months on loan at Notts County, managed by his father.

Ince, who can either play as an attacking midfielder or out wide, has impressed with Liverpool's youth and reserve sides. Reports suggest that two other Premier League sides are also interested in signing Ince, who could become another Liverpool youngster to join Fulham in recent years after the arrival of Chris Buchtmann, Lauri Dalla Valle and Alex Kacaniklic.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/07/fulham-agree-fee-for-ince/?

WhiteJC

Fulham keen on Mexican striker

Martin Jol wants £3.5m Mexican striker Aldo De Nigris to freshen up his Fulham attack.

The 6ft, 27-year-old frontman plays for Monterrey and hit three goals as Mexico stormed to the CONCACAF title last month.

De Nigris has bagged 31 goals over the last two seasons since making a loan move permanent.

He was called up for his country last year and named in Mexico's squad for the the 2011 Gold Cup squad, scoring two goals in friendlies then four in the Gold Cup itself.

Only Manchester United marksman Javier Hernandez has scored more goals during the Gold Cup with seven.

De Nigris has an italian passport and nationality, as his grandfather was born in Italy meaning Fulham should have few injuries with red tape.

De Nigris recently revealed he was close to making the move to the Premier League but remained tight-lipped about his destination.

He said: "There is a very advanced negotiation with a European team that is interested in me. They have seen me in action during the Gold Cup and have sent a proposal to Monterrey.

"I can't say the name of the team, the only thing that I can say is that it belongs to a very important European league, one of the most important ones.

"It's a team that has the chance to play in the Europa League next year. I can't say the name of the team because I have been asked not to."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Fulham-target-Mexico-striker-Aldo-De-Nigris-who-scored-four-goals-in-Gold-Cup-article762638.html#ixzz1RaRdp9ao

WhiteJC

John Arne Riise set to have Fulham medical

Fulham manager Martin Jol has confirmed that former Liverpool defender John Arne Riise is close to completing a move from Roma to Craven Cottage.

The 30-year-old Norwegian is due to undergo a medical with Fulham, suggesting terms have been agreed with the Serie A club.

"He's coming for a medical. If that's okay we've got ourselves a very good player," said Jol.

Riise's younger brother Bjorn Helge Riise is already on Fulham's books.

He came off the bench in Thursday's goalless draw with NSI Runavik which saw the club progress into the second qualifying round of the Europa League.

John Arne Riise spent seven years with Liverpool, making 371 appearances and scoring 34 goals before moving to Roma in 2008.

He played against his brother and Fulham in the 2009/10 Europa League group stages.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14073838.stm

WhiteJC

QPR Make Bullard Loan Approach

QPR are reported to have made a loan approach to Hull City for midfielder Jimmy Bullard, who spent a successful spell with the Blues last season. The Tigers are said to have told Neil Warnock's newly-promoted club that they would only sanction such a switch if they were prepared to pay his £45,000-a-week wage in full.

Bullard is believed to have spoken to the Loftus Road club earlier in the summer and is thought to be keen on the potential move.

Town are also claimed to still be interested in the former Wigan and Peterborough man, who said a return to Portman Road would make him "very happy" earlier in the week, but that may not now be the case with Lee Bowyer set to sign a two-year deal on Monday and Bullard's friend and former Hull team-mate George Boateng currently training with the Blues.

Meanwhile, Sheffield United manager Danny Wilson has confirmed that his club has received interest in striker Ched Evans, who has been linked with Town, Leicester, Norwich and Middlesbrough: "We've had a few calls about Ched. Like Darius [Henderson], he's a player who needs to resurrect his career and get it back on track. And you can't blame the lad for wanting to do that."

Elsewhere, former Blue Hermann Hreidarsson has signed a new one-year deal with Portsmouth.

http://www.twtd.co.uk/news.php?storyid=18723

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Martin Jol lines up Robbie Keane as replacement for QPR & West Ham target Andy Johnson
Tottenham value Irishman at just £4 million but the striker's high £65,000-a-week wage packet is the main stumbling block for the west Londoners at present

Fulham are lining up a swoop for Robbie Keane as a replacement for QPR and West Ham target Andy Johnson, Goal.com has learned.

New manager Martin Jol is a huge admirer of the Irishman from their days together at Tottenham and wants to bring the out-of-favour striker from White Hart Lane to Craven Cottage.

But it is understood that Fulham will only make a formal move if they can offload Johnson, 30, who has been touted to suitors for around £3m.

QPR and West Ham lead the chase for the former England international, who has fallen down the pecking order at Craven Cottage after missing large chunks of the past two seasons, in which he has scored only three league goals and six in total, through injury.

There has been a lot of interest in Keane, who has fallen out of favour at White Hart Lane, but no club is yet to meet Spurs' £4m asking price.

Keane spent the second half of last season on loan at West Ham but the chance of a permament move fell through following the club's relegation to the Championship.

The Irishman, who turned 31 on Friday, wants to remain in the Premier League but his £65,000-a-week wages have proved a stumbling block for a number of clubs, including Birmingham City and Wolves, over the last 12 months.

Fulham have a tight wage structure, with the top earner - believed to be Bobby Zamora - on £45,000-a-week, which means Keane will have to take a wage cut for a deal to go through.

The west Londoners would prefer a permanent deal but would also accept a loan switch with Spurs paying a remaining percentage of the striker's wages so they didn't break the wage structure.

Spurs are relucant to endorse another yet loan deal, following the spells at Celtic in 2010 and West Ham, and want to permanently get the 51-goal Republic of Ireland international off the wage bill and give them greater funds in this summer's transfer market.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/07/09/2566710/fulham-boss-martin-jol-lines-up-robbie-keane-as-replacement?

WhiteJC

Mexican Sensation!

According to one leading red-top publication, Fulham could be about to sign one of the stars of the recent COCACAF Gold Cup.

Reports are linking the Mexican striker Aldo De Nigris with a £3.5 million move to Craven Cottage.

De Nigris, 27, scored four times as Mexico stormed home to won the tournament. Talking about a possible move, the player was giving very little away bit reading between the lines, this could be a move I for one will find very pleasing,

"There is a very advanced negotiation with a European team that is interested in me. They have seen me in action during the Gold Cup and have sent a proposal to Monterrey."

"I can`t say the name of the team, the only thing I can say is it is in a very important European league, one of the most important ones."

"It`s a team that has the chance to play in the Europa League next year. I can`t say the name because I have been asked not to."

On the scoring front, De Nigris has netted 31 times in two seasons for his club.

Let`s hope the deal goes through!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=246741#ixzz1RbFVbV3o

WhiteJC

Keen on Keane!

As well as, apparently, showing an interest in signing the Mexican forward Aldo Di Nigris, the transfer grapevine has Fulham linked with a more recognisable name.

Apparently, Robbie Keane could be on his way to Craven Cottage with the rumour based on the fact that Andrew Johnson could be heading through the exit door to either Queens Park Rangers or West Ham United.

Jol is, of course, very familiar with Keane having had him under his tutorship at White Hart Lane.

We`ll report any breaking news!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=246742#ixzz1RbUGKik1

WhiteJC

Fulham eye swoop for Mexico striker Aldo de Nigris - report
The 27-year-old is the subject of interest from the English side's Dutch manager, Martin Jol, who has already enquired about the availability of the Monterrey player

Mexican international Aldo de Nigris is reportedly the target of English Premier League club Fulham.

Mirror Football has claimed that the London club's manager, Martin Jol, has already been in contact with de Nigris' current club Monterrey.

The forward is currently on international duty with Mexico in the Copa America but it is believed that he impressed the ex-Tottenham Hotspur boss while playing a significant role in El Tri's victorious Gold Cup campaign.

It will take €3.5 million for the English club to prise the CONCACAF Champions League winner away from his current club but Jol is willing to spend the money.

The the striker has previously revealed his desire to one day play in Europe and Fulham may serve as his chance to realise that dream.

De Nigris netted four times in this year's Gold Cup, with his finest moment coming against Honduras as he finally was able to break them down in the first half of extra-time by netting the opener on the way to a 2-0 victory for Luis Fernando Tena's men.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2011/07/09/2567219/fulham-eye-swoop-for-mexico-striker-aldo-de-nigris-report?

WhiteJC

Double striker link

Fulham are being linked with a move for Tottenham striker Robbie Keane and Mexico's Aldo De Nigris as they look to add more firepower.

Reports are suggesting that the Cottagers are eyeing Keane as a possible replacement for Andy Johnson should the former Crystal Palace and Birmingham forward move on from Craven Cottage.

Newly promoted QPR and relegated West Ham are thought to be showing an interest in Johnson, who it's thought Fulham value in the region of £3 million.

Keane has fallen out of favour at White Hart Lane and spent the second half of last season at West Ham. His opportunities at Tottenham look set to be limited next season as well and the Ireland international would no doubt relish the chance to reignite his career elsewhere.

Keane, who is priced at £4m, is no stranger to Fulham boss Martin Jol, having worked with him at White Hart Lane as well as former team-mate Bobby Zamora.

Meanwhile, Fulham are said to be keeping tabs on Mexico international Aldo De Nigris. The Monterrey striker has caught the eye internationally, scoring six times in 12 appearances, including four goals in the COCACAF Gold Cup.

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/double-striker-link-1-1237203.html?