Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff 08/07/11

Started by os5889, July 08, 2011, 07:23:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

os5889

A last posting flurry from me before a 2 week holiday hiatus

NSI Runavik 0 Fulham 0 (agg 0-3): Dogged Whites book Crusaders clash
By LAURA WILLIAMSON

Fulham puffed their way into the second qualifying round of the Europa League in front of a thin crowd of just over 1,000 on the misty Faroe Islands.
Local delicacies puffin and whale were off the menu in the low-key setting, before the 2010 runners-up side held NSI Runavik to a goalless draw and a 3-0 victory on aggregate.

One man and his dog: a sparse crowd watch Fulham go through in the Faroe Islands

Jol made four changes from a week ago, but fielded a competitive side, including Mark Schwarzer, Brede Hangeland and Bobby Zamora.

Fulham failed to exploit their chances at the bleak Svangaskard Stadium, with Damien Duff hitting the crossbar after five minutes and Zamora having a shot blocked after an hour.

Jol has signed left back John Arne Riise from Roma for £2.4million.

Manager Martin Jol said: 'He's coming for a medical. If that's okay we've got ourselves a very good player.'
Fulham now travel to Crusaders in Belfast on July 14.

All white on the night: Fulham's Bobby Zamora takes on NSI Runavik's Jens Joensen

Afterwards, Martin Jol added: "It's not easy playing here but I feel if you create six or seven chances in the first half you should score.

'In the first half we had seven or eight good chances and we have to be more productive and eager to score. In the second half I think we only had two chances which weren't enough.

'We have to get fitter and more creative and come up with solutions. In this sort of game you need players that can make a difference and we didn't have that today.

'Defensively we were sound and we didn't concede, which is important but they did have one chance at the end. Technically you can see the difference between the players but they did well today.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2012413/NSI-Runavik-0-Fulham-0-agg-0-3--Dogged-Whites-book-Crusaders-clash.html#ixzz1RUaEObIX

os5889

NSI Runavik 0 Fulham 0

From MARK IRWIN (Fulham win 3-0 on aggregate)

MARTIN JOL insists Fulham must be more clinical if they are to make an impression on the Europa League.
Boss Jol was unhappy with his team's failure to finish off the Faroe Islands part-timers on a pitch more suited to grazing sheep in a bleak, mist-shrouded ground.

Defending a 3-0 lead from last week's first leg at Craven Cottage, a strong Fulham team coasted through last night's match in front of just 1,245 fans.

Dutchman Jol complained: "We need to be more productive and eager to score. We had at least eight good chances in the first half alone and, over the two games, must have had 31 chances to score."

Last night's match had been given the go-ahead only after a late pitch inspection following a downpour.

Jol said: "The conditions were not what we're used to but the pitch was better than expected.

"This morning we were told we couldn't play here and the match was being switched to their training pitch. But it stopped raining."

Andy Johnson, Damien Duff, Dickson Etuhu and Bobby Zamora had chances to score.

Fulham visit Belfast next week for their second qualifying match against Crusaders.

Jol confirmed he has sealed a £1.5million deal for Roma's ex-Liverpool full-back John Arne Riise, who will sign next week.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3683907/NSI-Runavik-0-Fulham-0.html#ixzz1RUadAsWc

os5889

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/07/07/2565418/fulham-boss-martin-jol-confirms-romas-john-arne-riise-to

Fulham boss Martin Jol confirms Roma's John Arne Riise to arrive for medical ahead of proposed move

The Norwegian defender has one year left on his contract with the Serie A club and looks set to be making his way back to the Premier League should he pass his medical

Roma defender John Arne Riise could soon be joining his younger brother Bjorn Helge Riise at Fulham after manager Martin Jol confirmed that he is due in London for a medical.

The Norwegian is no stranger to the Premier League after a spell as Liverpool's left-back, before joining the Serie A club in 2008 where he has one-year remaining on his contract.

Jol told the club's official website: "He's coming for a medical.

"If that's okay, we've got ourselves a very good player."

Jol's side are through to the next round of the Europa League qualifying stage where they play Northern Irish outfit Crusaders after an aggregate win over Nes Soknar Itrottarfelag.

The 3-0 victory in the first-leg at Craven Cottage was enough to see them through after the second-leg ended as a goalless draw and Jol admits he expected the Cottagers to take some of the chances they created.

"It's not easy playing here but I feel if you create six or seven chances in the first half you should score," he said.
"In the first half we had seven or eight good chances and we have to be more productive and eager to score.

"In the second half I think we only had two chances which weren't enough. We have to get fitter and more creative and come up with solutions.

"In this sort of game you need players that can make a difference and we didn't have that today.

"Defensively we were sound and we didn't concede, which is important but they did have one chance at the end.

"Technically you can see the difference between the players but they did well today."

os5889

http://www.skysports.com/football/match_report/0,19764,11065_3411795,00.html

Stalemate sees Fulham through
Cottagers' progress never in doubt in qualifying stalemate

Last updated: 8th July 2011

Fulham progressed to the second qualifying round of the Europa League despite a 0-0 draw away to NSI Runavik.

The Faroese part-timers made it a frustrating evening for the Premier League side but their passage was never in doubt having won the first leg 3-0.

Martin Jol's men will now travel to Belfast to face Crusaders next Thursday, with the second leg at Craven Cottage the following week.

Fulham had peppered the NSI goal but could not find a breakthrough, with Republic of Ireland winger Damien Duff hitting the crossbar after five minutes before sliced a shot over from six yards out.

And it was the hosts who created the only clear-cut chance of the second half when Klaemint Olsen shot wide from inside the box.

The 2010 runners-up qualified the Europa League via the Fair Play league and still have 21 matches to negotiate if they are to reach the final again.

Jol made four changes but was still able to send out a strong starting line-up. Defensive duo Aaron Hughes and Chris Baird did not travel and were replaced by Stephen Kelly and Philippe Senderos.
Jonathan Greening took over from Simon Davies on the left flank while Steve Sidwellreplaced Danny Murphy in central midfield and Fulham were in control from the outset.

Early pressure

Bobby Zamora headed an early chance over before Duff, one of the first leg goal-scorers, struck the bar from 25 yards with a left-foot drive after cutting in from the right wing.

Fulham kept that early pressure up for the remainder of the half, with Gango denying Andrew Johnson on three occasions.

Duff fired over and Matthew Briggs was also off target with a close-range header as Fulham struggled to make their ascendancy count.

NSI were well organised although left-back Jens Joensen was booked eight minutes before the interval for checking Johnson. Dickson Etuhu met Greening's free-kick but his header was straight at Gango.

Duff and Briggs both tried their luck from distance after the break before Jol began to make changes, with Kerim Frei and Bjorn Helge Riise sent on for Johnson and Greening.

Fulham then survived a scare when Olsen sliced his shot wide of Mark Schwarzer's goal.

os5889

Fulham close to Riise deal

Fulham are closing in on the signing of Norway international John Arne Riise from Roma.

The former Liverpool left back is due to undergo a medical at Fulham, suggesting the Cottagers have agreed terms with the Serie A club.

"He's coming for a medical. If that's okay we've got ourselves a very good player," Fulham manager Martin Jol told the club's official website.

Riise won the Champions League and the FA Cup during seven years at Anfield and his younger brother, Bjorn Helge, is already on the books at Craven Cottage.

Fulham were held to a frustrating goalless draw by Faroe Island minnows NSI Runavik on Thursday night but still progressed to the second qualifying round of the Europa League.

Jol's men failed to capitalise on a flurry of first half chances against the Faroe Island part-timers.

But Fulham advanced 3-0 on aggregate and they will meet the Crusaders from Northern Ireland next Thursday.

"It's not easy playing here but I feel if you create six or seven chances in the first half you should score," Jol added. "In the first half we had seven or eight good chances and we have to be more productive and eager to score. In the second half I think we only had two chances which weren't enough.

"We have to get fitter and more creative and come up with solutions. In this sort of game you need players that can make a difference and we didn't have that.

"Defensively we were sound and we didn't concede, which is important but they did have one chance at the end. Technically you can see the difference between the players but they did well."

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/premiership/fulham-close-to-riise-deal-16020995.html#ixzz1RUbUkP67

os5889

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/07/07/2563863/chelsea-manager-andre-villas-boas-weighs-up-fulham-approach

Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas weighs up Fulham approach to take Gael Kakuta on loan

Martin Jol keen to take French youngster back to Craven Cottage for the coming campaign, but new Stamford Bridge boss wants to consider his options before sanctioning move

EXCLUSIVE
By Wayne Veysey | Chief Correspondent

Fulham have made a move to bring Chelsea attacker Gael Kakuta to Craven Cottage for a second loan spell, Goal.com can disclose.
The Cottagers have contacted their west London neighbours to enquire about Kakuta's availability next season but were told that new manager Andre Villas-Boas wants to monitor the Frenchman in pre-season training before making a decision about his future.

Kakuta, 20, spent the second half of last season on loan at Craven Cottage and impressed the club, despite a spell out injured and even though he only started two of his seven games.

New manager Martin Jol is keen to lower the average age of his squad and will use the loan market, as well as a transfer kitty of around £15 million, to bring in new blood.

Kakuta is also a target for Hamburg, with ex-Chelsea sporting director Frank Arnesen a central figure in the bid to take him to the Bundesliga.

Arnesen is said to be keen to land the player on a permanent deal but is also willing to consider the option of a loan switch as he plots to make him the fifth Stamford Bridge player to move to the German club in the transfer window, following Michael Mancienne, Gokhan Tore, Jacopo Sala and the on-loan Jeffrey Bruma.

"There have been discussions about Fulham having Kakuta back," a source told Goal.com. "He is also on Hamburg's list. It will be interesting to see what Villas-Boas makes of him as Chelsea have not got a player who fits his profile.

"Kakuta is unorthodox, innovative and [has] got real skill and ability. He can also score as many as [Florent] Malouda and [Salomon] Kalou."

Meanwhile, Goal.com can reveal that Fulham have finalised arrangements for former manager Mark Hughes' extensive backroom staff next season.

Coaches Mark Bowen and Eddie Niedzwiecki will be released from the final year of their two-year contracts and play no role at the club in the forthcoming season.

However, Kevin Hitchcock and Glyn Hodges have been relegated from first-team duties and will take up new positions with the academy. Former Chelsea player Hitchcock will work with the goalkeepers and Hodges has taken up a combined coaching and scouting role.

Jol has no place in his coaching set-up for the quartet, who did not have the same escape clause in their contracts as Hughes, who quit without notice on June 2.

os5889

Jol: Stock Stays

FULHAM have rejected Swansea's request to take keeper David Stockdale on loan for the season.
Now new boss Martin Jol has challenged Stockdale, 25, to prove he is ready to take the No 1 shirt from Mark Schwarzer.
Swansea chief Brendan Rodgers wants the England squad man to take over from Dorus De Vries, who has joined Wolves.
But Jol insists Stockdale is staying after impressing him in training.
Jol said: "Schwarzer and Stockdale are both part of my plans for the new season. There's no way Stockdale will go to any other club."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3683743/Martin-Jol-says-keeper-Robbie-Stockdale-is-staying-at-Fulham.html#ixzz1RUc9UkVk

os5889

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/Swans-waiting-bid-response-Fulham/story-12905068-detail/story.html

Swans waiting on bid response from Fulham

SWANSEA City are waiting for news on David Stockdale after tabling a bid for the Fulham goalkeeper.

Swansea are refusing to comment on the Stockdale situation, but it is understood they hope to land the 25-year-old for between £2 million and £3 million.

As yet there has been no response to Swansea's offer from Fulham, who have previously indicated that they want to loan out Stockdale rather than sell him.

But Swansea remain hopeful that they can convince the Cottagers to do business — even though Championship side Leeds, Stockdale's home city club, have declared an interest in taking him on loan.

Rodgers has identified Stockdale as his top goalkeeping target after Dorus de Vries quit the Liberty to sign for Wolves.

He believes the England squad member will thrive as Swansea's No. 1, and it is thought Stockdale is keen on a move to Wales.

But persuading Fulham to say a permanent goodbye to a keeper who is rated highly may take some doing.

New Craven Cottage boss Martin Jol has made it clear that veteran Australian international Mark Schwarzer will be his first choice in goal next season.

But he has also stressed that Stockdale is highly regarded and has said there are no plans to sell.

As things stand, 20-year-old youth product David Cornell is the only goalkeeper on Swansea's books.

Rodgers has already indicated that he plans to send Cornell out on loan next term, but he looks like having to stick around for now.

Swansea intend to offer Yves Ma-Kalambay, who was second choice to de Vries last season, a new contract after his deal ran out last month, but there is no guarantee he will re-sign.

Even if the giant DR Congo international stays, Rodgers will be in the market for two new stoppers as he attempts to ensure Swansea are not caught short in 2011-12.

Swansea have also shown an interest in out-of-contract Blackpool keeper Matt Gilks, though reports in the North West suggest he is close to signing a new two-year deal at Bloomfield Road.

Another name who has been discussed at the Liberty is Alex Manninger, the former Arsenal keeper who is now at Juventus.

However, it is understood the 34-year-old Austrian will not be heading for SA1.

Rodgers has not commented on Stockdale and, although Swansea's first pre-season fixtures are only eight days away, he insists there is no need to panic.

"I am actually quite calm about the situation," he said.

"The important thing is to get the right keeper in, not just to go and get someone.

"We are taking our time and we haven't jumped into anything.

"What is important is that we get a keeper who fits us right.

"There are plenty of keepers out there, but there are not many who will suit the way we do things."

Rodgers, meantime, has rejected reports linking Swansea with a move for another Fulham player, defender Rafik Halliche.

os5889

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2011/7/8/2265473/fulham-advance-in-europa-league-with-emphatic-scoreless-draw-against

Fulham Advance In Europa League With Emphatic Scoreless Draw Against NSI Runavik

Ok, the headline is more than a little sarcastic, but it matters not. Fulham are through to the second round of Europa League qualifying after drawing NSI Runavik 0-0 on the road today. Fulham takes the tie via a 3-0 aggregiate score.

Though the tie was never in doubt Martin Jol was rightfully disappointed that his squad was unable to post an away goal against their Faroese opposition.

"It's not easy playing here but I feel if you create six or seven chances in the first half you should score.

"In the first half we had seven or eight good chances and we have to be more productive and eager to score. In the second half I think we only had two chances which weren't enough.

"We have to get fitter and more creative and come up with solutions. In this sort of game you need players that can make a difference and we didn't have that today."

Perhaps a manifestation of the club's historical road woes? Hopefully not, and merely just a blip on the pseudo-preseason radar.

NSI were, once again, resolute in defense, playing compact, and the part-timers did well to keep their professional foes at bay. And though the score may not reflect Fulham's dominance, the total shot count of 20-3, and 6-0 on target, along with an 8-0 advantage in corners further reflected Fulham's dominance and inability to finish.

Still, Jol came away relatively impressed with the quality of NSI's play.

"It was better than we expected and the team was probably better than we expected. There are a few good young players, not for the Premier League I feel, but they're good players."

The match also served as a debut for 17-year-old striker Kerim Frei, who was introduced in the 72nd minute for a snake-bitten Andy Johnson.

"I feel very proud to have been given a chance by the Manager tonight," Kerim told fulhamfc.com after the game.

"The Manager told me he wanted me to play like a real number 10 and get in the space and have a go. I tried to do that tonight. I gave my best tonight and I had a few chances."

Danny Murphy and Aaron Hughes remained behind in London while Clint Dempsey, Carlos Salcido and Moussa Dembele remained away on leave.

With the victory, Fulham moves on to face Northern Ireland Premier League side Crusaders in the second round of the Europa League qualifying rounds. The first match will be in Belfast on July 14, while the mighty, mighty Whites will host the return leg on July 21.

os5889

Bullard back on the road to Hull

Jimmy Bullard is ready to make his peace with Hull and turn out for the Tigers next season.

The midfielder told City last month that he would scrap the remaining two years of his £45,000-a-week KC Stadium contract in return for a £1million pay-off.

But now Bullard, who cost the Humberside outfit a club record £5m from Fulham in January 2009, has revealed he is ready and willing to play for boss Nigel Pearson.

The former Wigan playmaker, 32, has seen proposed moves to Ipswich - where he spent the final four months of last term on loan - and Premier League new boys QPR and Norwich fail to materialise this summer.

Bullard admitted last night: "At the end of the day, I am still contracted to Hull and I would be more than happy to play for them next season.

"If they turn around and say they don't want me to play, for money reasons, then there is nothing I can about that and we shall have to see what happens.

"At the moment, though, I am back in training with Hull, and I have not really thought about things too much yet."

Bullard, who was voted Ipswich's player of the year after notching five goals in 16 outings for the Tractor Boys, would relish a permanent return to Portman Road if he is frozen out at Hull.

"I loved every single minute of my time at Ipswich and made some wicked friends," he said.

"If there was some way I could sort out a move there, I would be a very happy man

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Jimmy-Bullard-ready-make-peace-with-Hull-but-admits-would-love-move-Ipswich-after-successful-loan-spell-article762155.html#ixzz1RUdKxLBT

WhiteJC

Fulham held but go through to face Crusaders in Europa League
NSI Runavik 0 Fulham 0 (Fulham win 3-0 on agg)

NSI Runavik fans watch their team take on Fulham in the Europa League tie at
Svangaskard stadium, Toftir, Faroe Islands.
Photograph: Peter Cziborra/Action Images

Fulham were held to a goalless draw by the Faroe Islands part-timers NSI Runavik but still progressed to the second qualifying round of the Europa League.

Martin Jol's side will face Crusaders in Belfast next Thursday after completing a 3-0 aggregate victory over the battling Faroese.

Damien Duff hit the crossbar from 25 yards after five minutes and sliced a shot over the bar from six yards as Fulham looked determined to show their Premier League pedigree.

They failed to break through, though, and it was the hosts who created the only clear-cut chance of the second half when Klaemint Olsen burst into the box and sliced his shot wide of Mark Schwarzer's left-hand post.

Whereas most Premier League clubs have only just returned to pre-season training, Fulham were in competitive action for the second time. The 2010 Europa League runners-up qualified via the Fair Play League and still have 21 matches to negotiate if they are to reach the final again.

Jol made four changes but was able to send out a strong line-up. The defenders Aaron Hughes and Chris Baird did not travel and were replaced by Stephen Kelly and Philippe Senderos. Jonathan Greening took over from Simon Davies on the left flank and Steve Sidwell replaced Danny Murphy in central midfield.

Bobby Zamora headed an early chance over the top before Duff, one of the first-leg goalscorers, struck the bar with a left-foot drive after cutting in from the right wing. Fulham were frustrated by the goalkeeper Andras Gango, who denied Andrew Johnson three times, and Matthew Briggs was off target with a close-range header.

The NSI left-back, Jens Joensen, was booked eight minutes before the interval for checking Johnson, and Sidwell was booked early in the second half for a hard challenge on Mamuka Toronjadze.

Duff and Briggs tried their luck from distance before Jol began to make changes, with Kerim Frei and Bjorn Helge Riise replacing Johnson and Greening.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jul/07/fulham-nsi-runavik-europa-league?

WhiteJC

Manager's Reaction

Fulham Manager Martin Jol praised Thursday night's UEFA Europa League opponents NSI Runavik after guiding his Team through a potentially tricky encounter in the Faroe Islands.

Jol felt his Team should have made more of their opportunities in front of goal during the first half and the Dutchman will be looking for a more ruthless performance when the Whites play Crusaders of Northern Ireland in the Second Qualifying Round.

"As a football man it's nice to come to somewhere you haven't been before," said Jol. "It's part of the profession and it's the same for the players. It's not easy playing here but I feel if you create six or seven chances in the first half you should score.

"In the first half we had seven or eight good chances and we have to be more productive and eager to score. In the second half I think we only had two chances which weren't enough.

"We have to get fitter and more creative and come up with solutions. In this sort of game you need players that can make a difference and we didn't have that today.

"Defensively we were sound and we didn't concede which is important but they did have one chance at the end. Technically you can see the difference between the players but they did well today.

"The pitch wasn't as bad as we thought it would be. It wasn't the best but over here they don't have the same condition we have in England.

"It was better than we expected and the team was probably better than we expected. There are a few good young players, not for the Premier League I feel, but they're good players."

Jol was asked about the potential signing of John Arne Riise on Thursday night and Fulham's Manager said he is hopeful of signing the Norwegian international, subject to a Club medical.

"He's coming for a medical," Jol revealed. "If that's [the medical] okay we've got ourselves a very good player."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/July/JolRunavikAwayReaction.aspx?#ixzz1RUb7cns1

WhiteJC

Jol confirms Riise bid

GettyImages
John Arne Riise is set to follow younger brother Bjorn Helge Riise to Fulham

Martin Jol has confirmed Fulham have agreed a fee with Roma for John Arne Riise.

Riise, 30, joined Roma from Liverpool in 2008, but with his contract due to expire next summer he is now travelling to Fulham for a medical. Reports suggest the fee is in the region of £1.5 million.

Jol, speaking after Fulham's 0-0 Europa League draw with NSI Runavik on Thursday night, said: "He's coming for a medical. If that's okay, we've got ourselves a very good player."

Fulham are seeking a new left-back as Mexico international Carlos Salcido, who joined last summer from PSV Eindhoven, has failed to settle in London.

Riise's brother, Bjorn Helge Riise, has been at Fulham since 2009 but spent time on loan with Sheffield United in the Championship last season.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/932922/roma-defender-john-arne-riise-heads-to-fulham-for-medical?&cc=5739

WhiteJC

NSI Runavik 0 Fulham 0: match report
Read a full match report of the Europa League qualifying second-leg game between NSI Runavík and Fulham at the Svangaskard Stadium, Fareo Islands on Thursday July 7 2011.

On the ball: Fulham striker Bobby Zamora holds off NSI Runavik's (right) Jens Joensen
Photo: ACTION IMAGES

Fulham were held to a frustrating goalless draw by Faroe Island part-timers NSI Runavok on Thursday night – but still progressed to the second qualifying round of the Europa League.

Martin Jol's side will face the Crusaders of Northern Ireland next Thursday after completing a 3-0 aggregate victory over the battling Faroese minnows.

Damien Duff hit the crossbar after five minutes and then sliced a shot over from six yards out as Fulham peppered the NSI goal but they could not find a breakthrough.

It was the hosts who created the only clear-cut chance of the second half when Klaemint Olsen shot wide from inside the box.

While most Premier League clubs have only just returned to pre-season training, Fulham were in competitive action for the second time. The first leg was played on June 30.

The 2010 runners-up qualified via the Fair Play league and still have 21 matches to negotiate if they are to reach the Europa final again.

Belfast will be Fulham's next port of call and their progress was never in doubt following their 3-0 first leg win at Craven Cottage.

Jol made four changes but was still able to send out another strong starting line-up. Defenders Aaron Hughes and Chris Baird, the only two squad members to have played in the Faroe Islands before, did not travel and were replaced by Stephen Kelly and Philippe Senderos.

Jonathan Greening took over from Simon Davies on the left flank and Steve Sidwell replaced Danny Murphy in central midfield and Fulham were in control from the outset.

Bobby Zamora headed an early chance over the top before Duff, one of the first leg goalscorers, struck the bar from 25 yards with a left-foot drive after cutting in from the right wing.

Fulham kept that early pressure up for the remainder of the half but could not find a breakthrough, with Gango denying Andrew Johnson on three occasions.

Duff sliced a shot over the bar from just six yards out and Matthew Briggs was also off target with a close-range header as Fulham struggled to make their ascendancy count. NSI were well organised.

Left back Jens Joensen was booked eight minutes before the interval for checking Johnson. Dickson Etuhu met Greening's free kick but his header was straight at Gango.

Sidwell was booked early in the second half for a hard challenge on Mamuka Toronjadze, despite appearing to win the ball.

Duff and Briggs both tried their luck from distance with no luck before Jol began to make changes, with Kerim Frei and Bjorn Helge Riise sent on for Johnson and Greening.

Fulham, struggling to create any clear cut chances, then survived a scare when Olsen burst into the box and sliced his shot wide of Mark Schwarzer's left-hand post.

Meanwhile, Jol confirmed on Thursday night that John Arne Riise was close to completing a move from Roma to Craven Cottage.

The Norway and former Liverpool left back is due to undergo a medical with Fulham, suggesting terms have been agreed with the Serie A club.

"He's coming for a medical. If that's OK we've got ourselves a very good player," Jol said.

Riise's younger brother Bjorn Helge Riise is already on the books at Fulham and came off the bench in Thursday night's goalless draw with NSI Runavik.

"It's not easy playing here but I feel if you create six or seven chances in the first half you should score," Jol added on the club's website.

"We have to get fitter and more creative and come up with solutions. In this sort of game you need players that can make a difference and we didn't have that today."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/8622885/NSI-Runavik-0-Fulham-0-match-report.html?

WhiteJC

NSI Runavik 0 Fulham 0: match report
Read a full match report of the Europa League qualifying second-leg game between NSI Runavík and Fulham at the Svangaskard Stadium, Fareo Islands on Thursday July 7 2011.

On the ball: Fulham striker Bobby Zamora holds off NSI Runavik's (right) Jens Joensen
Photo: ACTION IMAGES

Fulham were held to a frustrating goalless draw by Faroe Island part-timers NSI Runavok on Thursday night – but still progressed to the second qualifying round of the Europa League.

Martin Jol's side will face the Crusaders of Northern Ireland next Thursday after completing a 3-0 aggregate victory over the battling Faroese minnows.

Damien Duff hit the crossbar after five minutes and then sliced a shot over from six yards out as Fulham peppered the NSI goal but they could not find a breakthrough.

It was the hosts who created the only clear-cut chance of the second half when Klaemint Olsen shot wide from inside the box.

While most Premier League clubs have only just returned to pre-season training, Fulham were in competitive action for the second time. The first leg was played on June 30.

The 2010 runners-up qualified via the Fair Play league and still have 21 matches to negotiate if they are to reach the Europa final again.

Belfast will be Fulham's next port of call and their progress was never in doubt following their 3-0 first leg win at Craven Cottage.

Jol made four changes but was still able to send out another strong starting line-up. Defenders Aaron Hughes and Chris Baird, the only two squad members to have played in the Faroe Islands before, did not travel and were replaced by Stephen Kelly and Philippe Senderos.

Jonathan Greening took over from Simon Davies on the left flank and Steve Sidwell replaced Danny Murphy in central midfield and Fulham were in control from the outset.

Bobby Zamora headed an early chance over the top before Duff, one of the first leg goalscorers, struck the bar from 25 yards with a left-foot drive after cutting in from the right wing.

Fulham kept that early pressure up for the remainder of the half but could not find a breakthrough, with Gango denying Andrew Johnson on three occasions.

Duff sliced a shot over the bar from just six yards out and Matthew Briggs was also off target with a close-range header as Fulham struggled to make their ascendancy count. NSI were well organised.

Left back Jens Joensen was booked eight minutes before the interval for checking Johnson. Dickson Etuhu met Greening's free kick but his header was straight at Gango.

Sidwell was booked early in the second half for a hard challenge on Mamuka Toronjadze, despite appearing to win the ball.

Duff and Briggs both tried their luck from distance with no luck before Jol began to make changes, with Kerim Frei and Bjorn Helge Riise sent on for Johnson and Greening.

Fulham, struggling to create any clear cut chances, then survived a scare when Olsen burst into the box and sliced his shot wide of Mark Schwarzer's left-hand post.

Meanwhile, Jol confirmed on Thursday night that John Arne Riise was close to completing a move from Roma to Craven Cottage.

The Norway and former Liverpool left back is due to undergo a medical with Fulham, suggesting terms have been agreed with the Serie A club.

"He's coming for a medical. If that's OK we've got ourselves a very good player," Jol said.

Riise's younger brother Bjorn Helge Riise is already on the books at Fulham and came off the bench in Thursday night's goalless draw with NSI Runavik.

"It's not easy playing here but I feel if you create six or seven chances in the first half you should score," Jol added on the club's website.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/8622885/NSI-Runavik-0-Fulham-0-match-report.html?

WhiteJC

John Arne Riise set to have Fulham medical

Fulham manager Martin Jol has confirmed that former Liverpool defender John Arne Riise is close to completing a move from Roma to Craven Cottage.

The 30-year-old Norwegian is due to undergo a medical with Fulham, suggesting terms have been agreed with the Serie A club.

"He's coming for a medical. If that's okay we've got ourselves a very good player," said Jol.

Riise's younger brother Bjorn Helge Riise is already on Fulham's books.

He came off the bench in Thursday's goalless draw with NSI Runavik which saw the club progress into the second qualifying round of the Europa League.

John Arne Riise spent seven years with Liverpool, making 371 appearances and scoring 34 goals before moving to Roma in 2008.

He played against his brother and Fulham in the 2009/10 Europa League group stages.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14073838.stm?

WhiteJC

Fulham's Martin Jol confirms Roma's John Arne Riise to arrive for medical ahead of proposed move
The Norwegian defender has one year left on his contract with the Serie A club and looks set to be making his way back to the Premier League should he pass his medical

Roma defender John Arne Riise could soon be joining his younger brother Bjorn Helge Riise at Fulham after manager Martin Jol confirmed that he is due in London for a medical.

The Norwegian is no stranger to the Premier League after a spell as Liverpool's left-back, before joining the Serie A club in 2008 where he has one-year remaining on his contract.

Jol told the club's official website: "He's coming for a medical.

"If that's okay, we've got ourselves a very good player."

Jol's side are through to the next round of the Europa League qualifying stage where they play Northern Irish outfit Crusaders after an aggregate win over Nes Soknar Itrottarfelag.

The 3-0 victory in the first-leg at Craven Cottage was enough to see them through after the second-leg ended as a goalless draw and Jol admits he expected the Cottagers to take some of the chances they created.

"It's not easy playing here but I feel if you create six or seven chances in the first half you should score," he said.
"In the first half we had seven or eight good chances and we have to be more productive and eager to score.

"In the second half I think we only had two chances which weren't enough. We have to get fitter and more creative and come up with solutions.

"In this sort of game you need players that can make a difference and we didn't have that today.

"Defensively we were sound and we didn't concede, which is important but they did have one chance at the end.

"Technically you can see the difference between the players but they did well today."

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2011/07/07/2565486/fulhams-martin-jol-confirms-romas-john-arne-riise-to-arrive?

WhiteJC

Fulham Advance In Europa League With Emphatic Scoreless Draw Against NSI Runavik

Ok, the headline is more than a little sarcastic, but it matters not. Fulham are through to the second round of Europa League qualifying after drawing NSI Runavik 0-0 on the road today. Fulham takes the tie via a 3-0 aggregiate score.

Though the tie was never in doubt Martin Jol was rightfully disappointed that his squad was unable to post an away goal against their Faroese opposition.

"It's not easy playing here but I feel if you create six or seven chances in the first half you should score.

Perhaps a manifestation of the club's historical road woes? Hopefully not, and merely just a blip on the pseudo-preseason radar.

More after the jump.

NSI were, once again, resolute in defense, playing compact, and the part-timers did well to keep their professional foes at bay. And though the score may not reflect Fulham's dominance, the total shot count of 20-3, and 6-0 on target, along with an 8-0 advantage in corners further reflected Fulham's dominance and inability to finish.

Still, Jol came away relatively impressed with the quality of NSI's play.

The match also served as a debut for 17-year-old striker Kerim Frei, who was introduced in the 72nd minute for a snake-bitten Andy Johnson.

"I feel very proud to have been given a chance by the Manager tonight," Kerim told fulhamfc.com after the game.

"The Manager told me he wanted me to play like a real number 10 and get in the space and have a go. I tried to do that tonight. I gave my best tonight and I had a few chances."

Danny Murphy and Aaron Hughes remained behind in London while Clint Dempsey, Carlos Salcido and Moussa Dembele remained away on leave.

With the victory, Fulham moves on to face Northern Ireland Premier League side Crusaders in the second round of the Europa League qualifying rounds. The first match will be in Belfast on July 14, while the mighty, mighty Whites will host the return leg on July 21.

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2011/7/8/2265473/fulham-advance-in-europa-league-with-emphatic-scoreless-draw-against?

WhiteJC

Kerim's Pride

Fulham Academy graduate Kerim Frei made his Fulham debut in the UEFA Europa League on Thursday night and the youngster was clearly delighted to have fulfilled a childhood dream when he replaced Andrew Johnson in the 71st minute at the Svangaskard Stadium.

"The Manager told me he wanted me to play like a real number 10 and get in the space and have a go. I tried to do that tonight. I gave my best tonight and I had a few chances.

"I've now played in the Europa League and it's always been a dream of mine to play in a European competition. It's a great education for me and I'll never forget making my First Team debut."

After fulfilling his goal of playing for the First Team the talented youngster is now setting his sights on learning from the senior professionals at the Club and making further appearances for Martin Jol's during the 2011/12 season.

"I always give my best and that will continue to be the case and hopefully I can get into the First eleven.

I joined Fulham 18 months ago and I've taken it step by step. Now I want to improve as a player in every training session that I'm involved in with the First Team."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/July/freidebutreaction.aspx?#ixzz1RUeBdbER

WhiteJC

Swans waiting on bid response from Fulham

SWANSEA City are waiting for news on David Stockdale after tabling a bid for the Fulham goalkeeper.

Swansea are refusing to comment on the Stockdale situation, but it is understood they hope to land the 25-year-old for between £2 million and £3 million.

As yet there has been no response to Swansea's offer from Fulham, who have previously indicated that they want to loan out Stockdale rather than sell him.

But Swansea remain hopeful that they can convince the Cottagers to do business — even though Championship side Leeds, Stockdale's home city club, have declared an interest in taking him on loan.

Rodgers has identified Stockdale as his top goalkeeping target after Dorus de Vries quit the Liberty to sign for Wolves.

He believes the England squad member will thrive as Swansea's No. 1, and it is thought Stockdale is keen on a move to Wales.

But persuading Fulham to say a permanent goodbye to a keeper who is rated highly may take some doing.

New Craven Cottage boss Martin Jol has made it clear that veteran Australian international Mark Schwarzer will be his first choice in goal next season.

But he has also stressed that Stockdale is highly regarded and has said there are no plans to sell.

As things stand, 20-year-old youth product David Cornell is the only goalkeeper on Swansea's books.

Rodgers has already indicated that he plans to send Cornell out on loan next term, but he looks like having to stick around for now.

Swansea intend to offer Yves Ma-Kalambay, who was second choice to de Vries last season, a new contract after his deal ran out last month, but there is no guarantee he will re-sign.

Even if the giant DR Congo international stays, Rodgers will be in the market for two new stoppers as he attempts to ensure Swansea are not caught short in 2011-12.

Swansea have also shown an interest in out-of-contract Blackpool keeper Matt Gilks, though reports in the North West suggest he is close to signing a new two-year deal at Bloomfield Road.

Another name who has been discussed at the Liberty is Alex Manninger, the former Arsenal keeper who is now at Juventus.

However, it is understood the 34-year-old Austrian will not be heading for SA1.

Rodgers has not commented on Stockdale and, although Swansea's first pre-season fixtures are only eight days away, he insists there is no need to panic.

"I am actually quite calm about the situation," he said.

"The important thing is to get the right keeper in, not just to go and get someone.

"We are taking our time and we haven't jumped into anything.

"What is important is that we get a keeper who fits us right.

"There are plenty of keepers out there, but there are not many who will suit the way we do things."

Rodgers, meantime, has rejected reports linking Swansea with a move for another Fulham player, defender Rafik Halliche.

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/story-12905068-detail/story.html?