more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff 08/07/11

Started by os5889, July 08, 2011, 07:23:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Martin Jol throws down gauntlet to lacklustre Fulham

Martin Jol today warned his Fulham players they must improve their fitness if they want to progress in this season's Europa League.

The Dutchman saw his side progress to the second qualifying round last night after they were held to a goalless draw by NSI Runavik in the Faroe Islands, securing a 3-0 win on aggregate.

Fulham face Northern Ireland's Crusaders next Thursday but Jol believes they have work to do as they build up to the new Premier League season which kicks off on August 13.

He said: "We have to get fitter and more creative and come up with solutions. In this sort of game you need players who can make a difference and we didn't have that last night. Defensively we were sound and we didn't concede, which is important, but they did have one chance to score at the end.

"In the first half we had seven or eight good chances and we have to be more productive in front of goal and eager to score. If you create seven or eight chances in the first half, you should score."

Before travelling to Belfast for the next round, Fulham play AFC Wimbledon in a friendly on Saturday. By the time they go to Northern Ireland John Arne Riise should have completed his move from Roma to Craven Cottage.

The Norway and former Liverpool left-back is due to undergo a medical with Fulham, suggesting terms have been agreed with the Serie A club.
"He's coming for a medical. If that's okay we've got ourselves a very good player," Jol said.

Riise's younger brother, Bjorn, is already on the books at Fulham.

Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic today insisted his team-mates will use the painful memory of losing the title last season to inspire them this term.

A late run of wins gave Chelsea a chance of catching eventual champions Manchester United only for their hopes to end after a 2-1 defeat at Old Trafford in May.

New manager Andre Villas-Boas has made the players watch United's title celebrations as part of his preparations for the new season and Ivanovic says everyone is determined to make amends when the campaign gets under way.

He said: "We have to remember last season and use it as a big motivation. We have to learn from our mistakes and be better."

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-23968475-jol-throws-down-gauntlet-to-lacklustre-fulham.do?

White Noise

Dikgacoi Departs

Friday 8th July 2011

The Club can confirm that South African international Kagisho Dikgacoi has moved to Crystal Palace for an undisclosed fee.

The Club would like to wish Kagisho all the best for the future.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/July/DikgacoiDeparts.aspx#ixzz1RWVVGwlp

White Noise

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/07/08/manual_145359.html

FULHAM MOVE FOR SOMOGYI

By Juha Pal

Goalkeeper Csaba Somogyi has joined Fulham from Hungarian second-tier side Rakospalotai EAC on a one-year deal.

New Cottagers boss Martin Jol had promised Somogyi he would sign him after the keeper impressed on trial at the manager's former club Ajax last December.

And after passing a medical at Craven Cottage, the 26-year-old Hungarian has put pen to paper on a contract with the Premier League club.

He told origo.hu: "I arrived home in Hungary on Thursday evening and everything had gone well in England so I signed a one-year long contract with Fulham.

"I attended two training sessions during my eight days at the club and on the last two days I underwent a medical, and I'm happy to say that I passed it.

"I'll go back on Sunday and continue the pre-season with my new team."

Somogyi will provide back-up to regular No.1 Mark Schwarzer, while reserve keeper David Stockdale has been linked with loan moves to Leeds and Swansea.

gang

It's a bit worrying that the club think the farmers market was a success, I would have thought it was a massive flop, I went, there were a few stalls and the security guards out-nummered the punters.

WhiteJC

Kelly: Early start can boost Fulham

Stephen Kelly believes Fulham's early start to the season will stand the club in good stead as they embark on another European adventure.

Fulham, whose early start has ensured they will play a competitive match in every month of 2011, advanced to the second qualifying round of the Europa League with a 3-0 aggregate win over NSI Runavik.

Martin Jol's side were frustrated at being held to a goalless draw by the Faroese part-timers last night despite creating a host of chances.

But the Cottagers, beaten Europa League finalists in 2010, did enough to book a trip to face Crusaders of Northern Ireland in the next round on Thursday night.

"It's started early for us again but it's got that feeling of another European tour already," defender Kelly told the club's official website.

"It would be great if we could continue progressing and it's great to go away to different countries.

"I'd never been to the Faroe Islands before and it's a landscape we would never see unless we were involved in the UEFA Europa League.

"We should benefit from the fact we're playing competitive games rather than friendly matches.

"We had good chances and plenty of possession but they defended in numbers and made it difficult.

"We got a clean sheet and it was a good performance at the back and we're through to the next round.

"It's been a good test for us and as much as it was a competitive match, it was only our second game of the season on Thursday night.

"Now we'll be sharper and hopefully that will show against the Crusaders next week."

Fulham academy graduate Kerim Frei made his first team debut off the bench after replacing striker Andrew Johnson in the 71st minute at the Svangaskard Stadium.

"I feel proud," said Frei.

"I've now played in the Europa League and it's always been a dream of mine to play in a European competition.

"It's a great education for me. I joined Fulham 18 months ago and I've taken it step by step. Now I want to improve as a player in every training session that I'm involved in with the first team."

Fulham confirmed on Friday that South Africa international Kagisho Dikgacoi has moved to Crystal Palace for an undisclosed fee.

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/7028546/Kelly-Early-start-can-boost-Fulham?

WhiteJC

NSI Runavik 0 Fulham 0 (aggregate 0-3)

As expected, Fulham progressed safely to round two of the Europa League qualifying stages last night.

Leading 3-0 from the first leg, Fulham eased past their opponents from the Faroe Islands in front of a crowd of just 1,245.

Defending a 3-0 lead, Martin Jol selected a strong side although the only two players who had played in the Faroe Islands, Chris Baird and Aaron Hughes, didn`t travel with Stephen Kelly and Philippe Senderos replacing them.

The action was a little one sided and how Fulham didn`t add to their lead is a puzzle with Andrew Johnson, Damien Duff (who hit the bar), Dickson Etuhu and Bobby Zamora all missing good chances.

In a way it was fortunate the game went ahead with it being in serious doubt at one stage with a heavy downpour threatening the fixture. After the game, Martin Jol gave his version of events,

"We need to be more productive and eager to score. We had at least eight good chances in the first half alone and, over the two games, must have had 31 chances to score."

"The conditions were not what we were used to but the pitch was better than expected. This morning we were told we couldn`t play here and the match was being switched to their training pitch. But it stopped raining."

Next stop is Belfast and a second qualifying round fixture against Crusaders!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=246685#ixzz1RWzi7L00

WhiteJC

Riise Deal Confirmation

Following the fixture in the Faroe Islands, against NSI Runavik, Martin Jol confirmed that a defender would be joining the club very shortly.

Having been mentioned in dispatches this week Jol confirmed that the ex-Liverpool defender, now playing at AS Roma, John Arne Riise will be joining the Craven Cottage playing staff.

Riise made 371 appearances for Liverpool scoring 34 goals.

The deal is reported to be anywhere between £1.5 million and £2.2 million, depending on your news source, with Riise putting pen to paper early next week.

Commenting about the player arriving for the traditional medical, Martin Jol is reported as having commented,

"He`s coming for a medical. If that`s okay we`ve got ourselves a good player."

John Arne, if he passes the medical will be joining his younger brother, Bjorn Helge on the Craven Cottage playing staff.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=246686#ixzz1RX01eFrS

WhiteJC

Stockdale Rejection

Rumours that our back-up keeper could be leaving Craven Cottage during this transfer window have been quashed by Martin Jol.

It had been suggested that David Stockdale would be leaving to join newly promoted Swansea City, but Jol had this to say, to the media, about the suggestion,

"Schwarzer and Stockdale are both part of my plans for the new season. There`s no way Stockdale will go to any other club."

And here at Vital Fulham we`re glad to hear it!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=246688#ixzz1RX0Hw8QW

WhiteJC

The Evidence is gone
Per the official: "The Club can confirm that South African international Kagisho Dikgacoi has moved to Crystal Palace for an undisclosed fee."

Is this the moment that ruined it for The Evidence? Probably not. The lad was a bizarre signing, with his agent claiming in January 2009 that a work permit held up a winter transfer, but he'd be at Fulham come July. Something Roy Hodgson (if I recall correctly) denied and then, later that summer, signed him.

Then, after hardly appearing (more on that in a bit) last season, the club extended his deal in January. Now, he's gone to where he had a fairly successful loan spell. Hmph.

Last season KG played just four minutes total (as in, all competitions). His maiden season saw him feature in the league when our attention was drawn toward Europe, making four starts and one substitute appearance in the final 8 games; winning just won once when he play in that span. Although he would make the squad for the later Europa engagements, he never played a minute of European football.

And so KG joins the likes of Andranik, Litmanen, and Andraesen (am I missing any others?): recent central midfielders that arrive, never play, and then leave without leaving any quantifiable or memorable mark.

Okay, KG at least gave us the memory of shoving Parker...

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/07/08/the-evidence-is-gone/?

WhiteJC

MEDICAL FOR MARTIN JOL'S £3M MASTERSTROKE

Speculation is rife that John Arne Riise could be on his way to join his brother Bjorn Helge at Fulham Football Club.

With Carlos Salcido reportedly homesick and expected to granted his wish to leave England, a new left-back is one of Jol's top priorities this summer. Add to this the fact that the Fulham squad are already in full flow playing Europa League Qualifiers and one can start to understand why additional recruits for strength in depth has become an even more increasing concern for the Dutchman.

If the speculated fee of £2.6m is accurate then the deal would represent a very astute piece of business in a currently highly inflated market. In the current 'era' of footballers, there appears to be a slight shortage of quality left-backs. Beyond Cole, Evra and Abidal the list of genuine natural full-backs starts to run a bit dry. There are many who appear to be more left a midfielder or winger like Bale, Michel Bastos, Maxwell and the likes of Giorgio Chiellini and Thomas Vermaelen are centre-backs at heart. Riise is arguably one of the top five natural left-backs in the current game, making him a hot property and a fantastic potential acquisition.

The signing of a consistent top quality full-back would considerably help Martin Jol's tough task at Fulham. Riise has seven years Premier League experience thanks to his exploits at Liverpool, including over twenty goals for the club. In the modern game, a ferocious long shot, whipped corner or fizzing free-kick are valuable assets that can win a team points. Riise possesses all of these and could make Martin Jol's first season with Fulham a bit easier if signed – especially when you consider the West London club have the mighty Brede Hangeland to make use of these deliveries!

It is difficult for any club to breach into the top six area of the Premier League now without substantial financial backing and Martin Jol has a big job to keep Fulham in the top half this season. That is no disrespect to Fulham –  just the way the league is – and you get the impression this is exactly the reason why Mark Hughes left after one season. The speculation over Riise should excite Fulham fans and they should be willing him to join the club. He is still just thirty years old and a top quality left-back who could walk into most Premier League sides.

http://www.footballtransfertavern.com/2011/07/premiership/medical-for-martin-jols-3m-masterstroke?