more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (10/07/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, July 10, 2011, 07:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

AFC Wimbledon 2-0 Fulham XI

First Team regulars Danny Murphy, Aaron Hughes and Chris Baird were able to further build on their pre-season fitness on Saturday afternoon as a Fulham XI lost 2-0 to AFC Wimbledon in a friendly at Kingsmeadow.

Even though the Whites enjoyed the better share of possession and chances, two second-half goals from the hosts were enough to help them to victory,

Speaking after the game, Reserve Team Manager Billy McKinlay gave his assessment:

"I'm disappointed to lose the game but the main aim was to get the fitness up," he told fulhamfc.com. "Bjorn Riise took a slight knock on his knee, but hopefully that will settle down in the next day or two. But generally it was a good 90 minutes for the majority of the guys.

"We're all working towards two things; qualifying for the Europa League and making sure that we're ready to go when the Premier League season starts.

"We had a nice following of fans here so it was nice to see them in good voice – it's just a little bit unfortunate that we didn't give them some goals and the result. Aaron, Chris and Danny played last week so they've got another game under their belts."

Fulham XI: Stockdale; Baird, Halliche Hughes, Smith; Riise (Marsh-Brown 60), Murphy, Donegan (Harris 82), Frei; Dalla Valle, Trotta (Hoesen 45)

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/July/AFCWimbledonvFulhamXI.aspx?#ixzz1RgDsTE00

WhiteJC

Fulham slip to Dons defeat
by DAN on JULY 9, 2011

A strong Fulham side were beaten 2-0 by AFC Wimbledon in their first pre-season friendly at Kingsmeadow this afternoon.

Brett Johnson (pictured above firing the Dons ahead) and Charles Ademendo scored second-half goals to give the League Two side an impressive win. Fulham spurned plenty of good opportunities, with Kerim Frei hitting a post and Marcello Trotta missing an open goal from the rebound.

Reserve team boss Billy McKinlay said afterwards:

I'm disappointed to lose the game but the main aim was to get the fitness up. Bjorn Riise took a slight knock on his knee, but hopefully that will settle down in the next day or two. But generally it was a good 90 minutes for the majority of the guys.

We're all working towards two things; qualifying for the Europa League and making sure that we're ready to go when the Premier League season starts. We had a nice following of fans here so it was nice to see them in good voice – it's just a little bit unfortunate that we didn't give them some goals and the result. Aaron, Chris and Danny played last week so they've got another game under their belts.

Lork will provide a full report tomorrow.

FULHAM (4-4-2): Stockdale; Baird, Smith, Halliche, Hughes; Murphy, Frei, Donegan (Harris 82), Riise (Marsh-Brown 60); Dalla Valle, Trotta (Hoesen 45).

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/07/fulham-slip-to-dons-defeat/?

WhiteJC

AFC Wimbledon surprise Fulham
Murphy and Hughes given run out by Jol

League Two newcomers AFC Wimbledon caused a surprise at Kingsmeadow with a 2-0 victory against a strong Fulham XI.

Second half goals from Brett Johnson and Charles Ademeno secured the win against Martin Jol's side, who have already started their competitive season.

The Cottagers side contained the likes of Danny Murphy and Aaron Hughes as well as Chris Baird,Bjorn Helge Riise and reported Swansea target David Stockdale.

Fulham defeated Faroe Islands outfit NSI Runavik in the first qualifying round of the Europa League 3-0 on aggregate, but Jol, who became the club's new manager in the summer, will be disappointed by the performance.

The Dutchman is using the friendly programme to help players back to full fitness ahead of the new Premier League season.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_7030060,00.html?

WhiteJC

Stockdale to go out on loan
by DAN on JULY 9, 2011

New Fulham goalkeeping coach Hans Segers has confirmed that David Stockdale will be loaned out after Fulham completed the signing of Hungarian goalkeeper Csaba Somogyi.

Segers, who joined Martin Jol's backroom staff at the end of June, said that Somogyi impressed during a week's trial at Motspur Park.

Somogyi's signed for us now. I had him on a five-day trial and he made a very good impression. That means we can lend David Stockdale out because he needs to be playing every week.

It's a big step up for Somogyi because he was playing in the Hungarian second division but he's a very good goalkeeper.

Stockdale is expected to join a Championship club, believed to be Leeds United, next week.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/07/stockdale-to-go-out-on-loan/?

WhiteJC

Fulham confirm Somogyi deal

FULHAM have confirmed the signing of Hungarian goalkeeper Csaba Somogyi.

The 26-year-old has been on trial at Craven Cottage in a bid to earn a deal in SW6.

And goalkeeping coach Hans Segers has revealed the club have agreed terms with the Rakospalotai EAC shotstopper.

He said: "Somogyi's signed for us now. I had him on a five-day trial and he made a very good impression. That means we can lend David Stockdale out because he needs to be playing every week.

"It's a big step up for Somogyi because he was playing in the Hungarian second division but he's a very good goalkeeper."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/07/09/fulham-confirm-somogyi-deal-82029-29025601/?#ixzz1RgFFFt81

WhiteJC

Fulham keeper set for Championship switch

DAVID Stockdale is set to join a Championship side on loan in the next few days.

Fulham boss Martin Jol is keen to get the 25-year-old game time elsewhere rather being stuck warming the bench.

Stockdale is behind Mark Schwarzer in the pecking order, but the arrival of Hungarian keeper Csaba Somogyi has cleared the decks for him to move on.

Swansea have been linked with the Leeds-born shotstopper, but Jol won't loan him to another Premier League club as he can't include a 24-hour recall clause in the deal.

Goalkeeping coach Hans Segers revealed: "There is quite a few clubs interested and I can see something happening in the next few days. I'm waiting for confirmation from one of the clubs."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/07/09/fulham-keeper-set-for-championship-switch-82029-29025608/?#ixzz1RgFRsJlx

WhiteJC

Jol confirms Riise deal

FULHAM are set to complete the signing of Roma defender John Arne Riise on Monday.

Boss Martin Jol has revealed the Whites have agreed terms with the former Liverpool full-back, who will join brother Bjorn Helge in SW6.

The Norwegian was in the stands as a Fulham XI lost to AFC Wimbledon this afternoon, and the deal will be rubber-stamped once he completes a successful medical on Monday.

Jol said: "He had a very good season and I'm very pleased a player like him has joined us."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/07/09/jol-confirms-riise-deal-82029-29025613/?#ixzz1RgFlEiGI

WhiteJC

Stockdale open to Swans
Cottagers keeper hoping to win loan move

Fulham keeper David Stockdale has confirmed he would be willing to go out on loan this coming season in order to play regularly.

Stockdale made seven Premier League appearances last term with veteran Mark Schwarzer earning the bulk of the playing time.

The Cottagers are closing in on the capture of Hungarian goalkeeper Csaba Somogyi and Stockdale is keen to play more games.

Swansea are looking for number one reinforcements following Dorus de Vries' Wolves move and Stockdale is a fan of the club.

The ex-Darlington shot-stopper is keen to play in the Premier League if possible, although he would be willing to consider the Championship.

Chance

"I think (Jol) might stay with Mark, which is understandable, so it might be a chance for me to go out on loan," he told Sky Sports News.

"They've signed a new goalkeeper, so hopefully that paves the way for a loan move. I want to play games.

"It's not about being part of the Premier League and sitting on the bench. It's nice, don't get me wrong, but I want to be playing games.

"If there isn't a Premier League option I might have to go down the league.

"The chairman's passed the word that he doesn't want to sell me. I just have to get on with it. I like it here.

"I've been here three years now. I've had to prove myself time and time again. I've just got to keep working hard."

When asked if he fancied a move to Swansea he added: "Definitely. What a club to go to.

"They've just come up. It would suit me down to the ground."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_7030089,00.html?

WhiteJC

Zamora - How to hold off your marker
With a little help from your midfield, the Z Man explains how to cause chaos around the box

"I always seem to lose possession when I play with my back to goal. Do you have tips for holding the ball up?"
Charlie Porter, via email

"Strength is key when holding off markers so it's important to build upper body power in the gym. On the training ground, you need to work with your midfielders so you can build an understanding.

They should know when to give you the ball, how to play it into you and where they're going to move to support you.

During a game you want to push your marker back as far as you can so you need to know where he is: if you can't see him, make sure you can feel him.

There's a fine line between the ref awarding a foul for them and a foul for you so you want to receive the ball in and around the box, because they'll be worried about conceding a penalty or giving away a free-kick on the edge of the area.

Keep yourself between him and the ball. Get your midfielders high up the pitch so you can push the defenders back and receive the ball in dangerous areas.

It's crucial that your midfielders make good runs, not only to receive the ball, but also to take the opposition's midfielders away from you."

Zamora has been an official Under Armour-sponsored ambassador for five years.

http://performance.fourfourtwo.com/technique/how-to-hold-off-your-marker

WhiteJC

0-0 and 2-0

A 0-0 draw against NSI Runavik means another step in the Europa League journey. The next step is in Belfast, against Crusaders, in Seaview, a stadium that is just under a ten minute walk from where I live. Handy enough and means I can say 'I watched Fulham away in the Europa League qualifying rounds' – without having to go to somewhere like Amkar Perm, which is a bit more than a ten minute walk for myself.

But back to Fulham playing NSI in the Faroe Islands. I wasn't able, and I imagine many, many other Fulham fans, to watch the game as it was being played. I scanned through the BBC report of the game afterwards and noticed that AJ missed a few goalscoring opportunities. A point that stands out because of rumours. AJ has been linked with West Brom, West Ham and QPR. Not being able to take chances against a team of part-timers might influence a move away from Fulham. Or the opposite. Other clubs could think: 'Flip, if he can't score against those up in the Faroes, who can he score against?' Besides this point, well done to NSI as they recorded a first draw in Europe, which sounds a bit patronising but is meant with sincerity.

Another game I couldn't watch live was Fulham's friendly against AFC Wimbledon. Fulham fielded a mixture of youngsters, fringe players and established players but lost 2-0. Has Martin Jol told the team to just take it very easy in these first couple of games? You would've thought Fulham could beat NSI Runavik and Wimbledon by a mountain of goals. Fulham didn't but realistically neither games didn't carry much weight or stress and why exert too much effort?

Crusaders this Thursday and I hope, for selfish reasons, that they play a starting XI of established players because they'll be turning up ten minutes down from my house. And of course so that they progress to the next stage of the Europa League. I heard Crusaders have injury concerns and might not be able to play their regular XI themselves. But Crusaders will put out a great performance nonetheless and, as Europa League 2nd Round qualifers go, is a game I'm very much looking forward to.

http://fulham.theoffside.com/match-report/0-0-and-2-0.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham eye swoop for Mexico striker Aldo de Nigris - report
The 27-year-old Mexican is the subject of interest from the English side's Dutch manager, Martin Jol, who has already enquired about the availability of the Monterrey player

Mexico international Aldo de Nigris is reportedly the target of English Premier League club Fulham.

Mirror Football has claimed that the London club's manager, Martin Jol, has already been in contact with De Nigris' employers Monterrey.

The forward is currently on international duty with Mexico in the Copa America but it is believed that he impressed the ex-Tottenham Hotspur boss while playing a significant role in El Tri's victorious Gold Cup campaign.

It will reportedly take €3.5 million (£3.1m) for the Cottagers to prise the CONCACAF Champions League winner away from his current club but Jol is willing to spend the money.

Jol is clearly seeking to bolster his attacking options at Craven Cottage, with Goal.com exclusively revealing earlier today that Fulham are also lining up Tottenham's Robbie Keane as a replacement for Andy Johnson, who is expected to leave. Keane, the Republic of Ireland's record goalscorer, is out of favour at White Hart Lane and was loaned to West Ham last season, but Jol is an admirer following their time together when the Dutchman was managing Spurs.

And he may be successful with his reported interest in De Nigris, as the striker has previously revealed his desire to one day play in Europe and Fulham may serve as his chance to realise that dream.

De Nigris netted four times in this year's Gold Cup, with his finest moment coming against Honduras as he was finally able to break them down in the first half of extra-time by netting the opener on the way to a 2-0 victory for Luis Fernando Tena's men.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/07/09/2567292/fulham-eye-swoop-for-mexico-striker-aldo-de-nigris-report

WhiteJC

AFC Wimbledon 2 - Fulham 0

A strong Fulham side came to Kingsmeadow and went away having tasted defeat against the Don's for a second time.

The final score of 2-0 probably flattered the Don's but nonetheless it was the home side who took their chances whilst the visitors spurned a number of chances themselves.

A number of regular first team players were in the White's line up including Danny Murphy, Aaron Hughes and Chris Baird.

It was two second half goals that seperated the teams with Brett Johnson getting the first and new signing Charles Ademeno opening his Don's scoring account.

Fulham had two gilt edge chances but Kerim Frei hit the post and Marcello Trotta should have scored when confronted with an open goal but fired wide.

Read more: http://www.wimbledon.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=246812#ixzz1RgmhP7hM

ron

Quote from: WhiteJC on July 10, 2011, 09:27:34 AM

AFC Wimbledon 2 - Fulham 0

A strong Fulham side came to Kingsmeadow and went away having tasted defeat against the Don's for a second time.

The final score of 2-0 probably flattered the Don's but nonetheless it was the home side who took their chances whilst the visitors spurned a number of chances themselves.

A number of regular first team players were in the White's line up including Danny Murphy, Aaron Hughes and Chris Baird.

It was two second half goals that seperated the teams with Brett Johnson getting the first and new signing Charles Ademeno opening his Don's scoring account.

Fulham had two gilt edge chances but Kerim Frei hit the post and Marcello Trotta should have scored when confronted with an open goal but fired wide.

Read more: http://www.wimbledon.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=246812#ixzz1RgmhP7hM

I blame it on the shorts.   :001:

Ronnief

I was surprised to see 5 interational players plus Stockdale playing yesterday.  Our first half performance was adequate but showed that both Dalla Valle and Trotta are nowhere near ready for the first team and maybe not at all. Halliche was less than impressive with poor positional play.  Riise could not get past the full back, serious lack of pace here.  Stockdale flapped at times and may have had other matters on his mind.  I thought Frei performed well and was unfortunate not to score.  In the second hald AFC injected pace into their attack and caused our defence problems and panic. Hoesen injected some pace to our attack and has looked a much improved player from last time I saw him. Donegan tired in the second half but had a reasonable first start.  Hope that Marsh-Brown can develope further as he looked impressive in the second half.

I wish we could see our second string players in action this coming season so we can access them as they develope.

WhiteJC

Gudjohnsen Coming to East London!

Our squad rebuilding looks set to continue with a move for the out of contract Fulham player, Eidur Gudjohnsen.

The papers are reporting that Sam is set to team up with another of his former Bolton players by signing the Icelandic striker on a free transfer.

It`s the second time that Gudjohnsen has been linked with a move to Upton Park with the former Chelsea and Barcelona player linked with a move here during Gianfranco Zola`s tenure as manager.

Let`s hope we have better luck this time!

Read more: http://www.westham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=246821#ixzz1Ri8MLIDY

WhiteJC

Fulham keeper Stockdale hoping for loan move as Swansea prepare swoop

Fulham reserve goalkeeper and Swansea target David Stockdale is prepared to go out on loan next season in order to get regular first-team football.

The former Darlington man, 25, impressed enough during seven Premier League appearances last term to force his way into England squads, but he expects to remain understudy to Mark Schwarzer during Martin Jol's first season in charge at Craven Cottage.

Looking at his options: David Stockdale could leave Fulham on loan

And although he revealed that the club do not want to sell him, he spoke with excitement about the potential of a move to Swansea.

When asked if he fancied a move to Swansea he told Sky Sport News: 'Definitely. What a club to go to.

'They've just come up. It would suit me down to the ground.'

But Stockdale accepts that he may have to drop down into the Championship for a season if a move to Wales fails to materialise.

On the radar: Stockdale has featured in England squads

'I think (Jol) might stay with Mark (Schwarzer), which is understandable, so it might be a chance for me to go out on loan.'

'They've signed a new goalkeeper (Hungarian Csaba Somogyi), so hopefully that paves the way for a loan move. I want to play games.

'It's not about being part of the Premier League and sitting on the bench. It's nice, don't get me wrong, but I want to be playing games.

'If there isn't a Premier League option I might have to go down the league.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2013125/Fulham-goalkeeper-David-Stockdale-looking-Swansea-loan.html#ixzz1Ri8gJeSe

WhiteJC

Stockdale off to Championship
Fulham are expected to loan goalkeeper David Stockdale to a Championship club in the coming days.

Stockdale has been linked with a move to Swansea, but the Cottagers have ruled out allowing him to join a Premier League club as they cannot insert a 24-hour recall clause in the deal.

That means the 25-year-old will have to drop down a level if he wants to secure regular first-team football.

Fulham goalkeeping coach Hans Segers told the Fulham and Hammersmith Chronicle: "There are quite a few clubs interested and I can see something happening in the next few days.

"I'm waiting for confirmation from one of the clubs."

Stockdale will be allowed to depart on loan as Martin Jol has already recruited a back-up shot-stopper in the shape of Hungarian keeper Csaba Somogyi. The 26-year-old's move on a free transfer from Budapest outfit Rakospalotai EAC was confirmed by Segers after Saturday's friendly against AFC Wimbledon.

Segers said: "Somogyi's signed for us now. I had him on a five-day trial and he made a very good impression. That means we can lend David Stockdale out because he needs to be playing every week.

"It's a big step up for Somogyi because he was playing in the Hungarian second division but he's a very good goalkeeper."

Meanwhile, Jol should tie up the transfer of former Liverpool left-back John Arne Riise after the Roma man undergoes a medical on Monday.

Jol told the Chronicle: "He had a very good season and I'm very pleased a player like him has joined us."

http://www.football365.com/premier-league/7030894/?