https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (26.01.10)

Started by White Noise, January 25, 2010, 10:02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Away Opportunity

Monday 25th January 2010

Fulham were able to ride out a challenging first-half against Accrington Stanley on Saturday to guarantee their place in the Fifth Round of the FA Cup courtesy of a three-one win at the Fraser Eagle Stadium. The victory set Fulham up with a home tie against either Wigan or Notts County at Craven Cottage.

Looking back on Saturday's match, Stephen Kelly reflected on what turned out to be a very challenging encounter:

"I said before the match we knew it was going to be difficult and in the first-half we were up against it," he told fulhamfc.com. "We didn't perform particularly well and we let them get back in with a sloppy goal. Them having a man sent-off obviously helped us but in the second-half we performed better and showed the professionalism that we needed to get through.

"All credit to them, at the end of the first-half they deserved to be level and still in the game. But no disrespect to Accrington, they did play well, they pressurised us but the first-half was more about what we didn't do. We didn't keep the ball too well and we gave them opportunities that we shouldn't have.

"It's nice to get a home draw in the next round and hopefully Wigan or Notts County will give us an opportunity to push on further in the competition. We've done very well at home so far this season and we're confident at the Cottage so no matter who we get, we think we can take them. Hopefully, there'll be another good result for us."

Fulham are next in action on Tuesday evening against Kelly's old club, Tottenham. The match also presents the Whites with the opportunity to end their three-game run of defeats - something Kelly is eager to do.

"I was there for a long time and I really enjoyed my time there but now I'm looking forward to getting one over on them," he said. "They're a very good side who pass the ball very well and they have a lot of diversity in their squad - they can change their play with the likes of Peter Crouch - and White Hart Lane isn't an easy place to go and get a result.

"Away from home we haven't been as good as our home form, but we've got to go there with confidence from the weekend game. In this league when we've performed well we've been capable of beating the best so why not at White Hart Lane?

"Against Blackburn I thought we dominated the game and unfortunately came out losers. At Stoke we didn't perform well in the first-half but turned it on in the second-half, Chelsea was a good performance but again we came away with nothing. So we have to start turning these good performances into wins.

"We're not the type of team who will change our tactics or shape just because of a few losses. We've proved that the way we play has been enough to beat the likes of Manchester United and Liverpool. The defeats have not been nice but that's reality, it happens in the Premiership and we've got to bounce back from that."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/January/KellyAwayOpportunity.aspx?#ixzz0dfEmdoMF

White Noise

TOTTENHAM v Fulham: Roman Pavlyuchenko struggling to make derby clash

By Sportsmail Reporter Last updated at 3:33 PM on 25th January 2010

Tottenham striker Roman Pavlyuchenko has a groin problem and could miss the Barclays Premier League clash against Fulham at White Hart Lane.   

Tom Huddlestone (knee) and Ledley King (knee) will require late checks before kick-off, while Aaron Lennon (groin) and Benoit Assou-Ekotto (groin) are out.

Jonathan Woodgate (groin) and Carlo Cudicini (wrists and pelvis) are long-term absentees.   

Provisional squad: Gomes, Alnwick, Hutton, Corluka, Naughton, Bassong, King, Dawson, Bale, Modric, Kranjcar, Bentley, Palacios, Huddlestone, Jenas, Keane, Defoe, Crouch, Giovani, Dervite, Rose, O'Hara.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1245936/TOTTENHAM-v-Fulham-Roman-Pavlyuchenko-struggling-make-derby-clash.html?ITO=1490#ixzz0dfFUddaA

White Noise

We're no bottlers: Jermain Defoe insists Tottenham will maintain top-four challenge
By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 7:05 PM on 25th January 2010

Jermain Defoe insists Tottenham will not bottle their Barclays Premier League top-four challenge as they reach a crucial point of the season.

Spurs are currently fourth in the table and have five games in the next 16 days, starting with the midweek visit of Fulham to White Hart Lane.

Defeat at Liverpool last week, along with draws against Hull and Leeds, have raised questions whether Harry Redknapp's side will sustain their campaign for Champions League football.

Leading the pack: Jermain Defoe (centre) hopes Tottenham can keep one step ahead of Liverpool and the rest of the teams pursuing fourth spot

'That is part and parcel of playing at the top level,' said Defoe on Sky Sports News. 'You are going to get that pressure. We've set that standard now and especially playing at home, teams are going to sit in and make it difficult for us.

'It's important to keep focused. The spirit has always been good but at this stage it's important to stay focused. I truly believe everything will be okay.'

Defoe, when asked if the next games could define Spurs' season, added: 'I think that's right. It is a lot of games but if you prepare right it should be okay.

'We've got a great squad with players who can come in and produce performances so it's important to prepare right. It's a massive game against Fulham, they  are a good team with a great manager. Hopefully we can get three points.'

Defoe sympathises with Roman Pavlyuchenko, who has found his opportunities limited at Spurs. Defoe found himself down the pecking order before moving to Portsmouth and returning to Spurs as first choice.

Pavlyuchenko scored in the FA Cup draw against Leeds but has a groin strain ahead of the Fulham game.

He added: 'It's difficult. It's important to stay professional. At times when you are not playing it is difficult.

'I can understand that. When I wasn't in the team at Spurs it was difficult. You wake up in the morning and feel there is nothing to prepare for. When you are playing you come to training and prepare right, you're happy and buzzing.

'It must be difficult for Pav. He hasn't figured much this season and to be honest he came on and did well to get the goal against Leeds.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1245984/Were-bottlers-Jermain-Defoe-insists-Tottenham-maintain-challenge.html#ixzz0dfGHqnuK

White Noise

Redknapp said: 'We've lost one in eight matches. So if that's a brick wall then let's hope we can keep hitting it for the rest of the season.

'I don't listen to what people are saying because I have my own opinion about what's happening and how we are doing. It doesn't interest me. I just know how well we have done. We have just had six clean sheets and one defeat in eight. If that's a bad run then my God! They are as bright as can be in training.'

Redknapp expects a test against Fulham, adding: 'Fulham are a good side. They are always well-organised and Roy Hodgson has done a fantastic job with them.

'But we are playing well at the moment. We came across two goalkeepers in our last two home games who had world-class games. That's how it goes sometimes in football.

'I look at every home game as one where we should pick up there points. I feel we can beat anyone at home.'

Striker Peter Crouch wants to bounce back after three matches without victory.

He said: 'It has been and gone. There's disappointment we didn't manage to see the game out against Leeds, but it's not the end of the world. We're still in the FA Cup and we still have aspirations to finish fourth.

'We've got a game in quick succession, against Fulham next. It's always nice to put one to bed and go and get three points.'

Meanwhile, Aaron Lennon will also go for a scan on his groin strain to determine how long he will be out.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1245982/He-came-saw-strained-groin-Roman-Pavlyuchenko-wants-Tottenham.html#ixzz0dfGqPwbl

White Noise

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/preview/0,16374,1775_5884122,00.html

Zamora set for Cottagers return

Fulham striker Bobby Zamora could make his return from injury in Tuesday night's Premier League clash with Tottenham at White Hart Lane.

Zamora has been out since breaking his collarbone against Stoke earlier this month but his recovery has gone well and he could feature against his former club

Diomansy Kamara and Simon Davies are also in line for comebacks having both been named among the substitutes for the Cottagers' FA Cup fourth-round tie at Accrington Stanley on Saturday.

Andy Johnson was ruled out of that match with a knee problem and faces a late fitness test, while Dickson Etuhu is still on African Nations Cup duty with Nigeria.

Clint Dempsey (knee), Paul Konchesky (ankle) and John Pantsil (knee) are all still sidelined.

Kick-off 8pm.

Cottagers (from): Schwarzer, Kallio, Hangeland, Baird, Hughes, Kelly, Duff, Murphy, Gera, Nevland, Johnson, Zuberbuhler, Greening, Riise, Dikgacoi, Smalling, Davies, Elm, Kamara, Zamora.

White Noise

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article7000770.ece
Simmons, who was 20 when he clashed with Cantona, was sentenced to a week in jail and served one day. He was first cast as victim and then as racist provocateur, after somebody unearthed his links with the far right and record for robbery with violence.

Now an unemployed building worker, Simmons told his local Croydon paper last year that he still gets hate calls, although he claims not to hold a grudge. In a 2004 interview he was more bitter about his treatment, claiming with some justification that shouting at a footballer "is not a criminal offence and certainly does not mean I should be hung, drawn and quartered". He said that he still went to Palace occasionally, but more often watched Fulham

White Noise

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article7001474.ece?token=null&offset=12&page=2

Tottenham Hotspur v Fulham, 7.45pm

Roman Pavlyuchenko has a groin problem that requires a scan and could miss tomorrow's game.

Tom Huddlestone (knee) and Ledley King (knee) will require late checks before kick-off, while Aaron Lennon (groin) and Benoit Assou-Ekotto (groin) are out. Jonathan Woodgate (groin) and Carlo Cudicini (wrists and pelvis) are long-term absentees.

Bobby Zamora could make his return from injury for Fulham. Zamora has been out since breaking his collarbone against Stoke earlier this month but his recovery has gone well and the striker could feature against his former club at White Hart Lane.

Diomansy Kamara and Simon Davies are also in line for comebacks having both been named among the substitutes for the Cottagers' FA Cup fourth-round tie at Accrington Stanley on Saturday. Andy Johnson was ruled out of that match with a knee problem and faces a late fitness test, while Dickson Etuhu is still on African Nations Cup duty with Nigeria. Clint Dempsey (knee), Paul Konchesky (ankle) and John Pantsil (knee) are all still sidelined.

Spurs (from): Gomes, Alnwick, Hutton, Corluka, Naughton, Bassong, King, Dawson, Bale, Modric, Kranjcar, Bentley, Palacios, Huddlestone, Jenas, Keane, Defoe, Crouch, Giovani, Dervite, Rose, O'Hara.

Fulham (from): Schwarzer, Kallio, Hangeland, Baird, Hughes, Kelly, Duff, Murphy, Gera, Nevland, Johnson, Zuberbuhler, Greening, Riise, Dikgacoi, Smalling, Davies, Elm, Kamara, Zamora.

White Noise

http://www.spursodyssey.com/0910/prevpackfuh.html?

Number 26 could be lucky

It's exactly a month to the day since Spurs made the short trip to Craven Cottage and came away with a 0-0 draw, after quite a heroic performance by Heurelho Gomes in the Spurs goal. Both teams have played three games since, and enjoyed mixed fortunes. Spurs celebrated a Christmas Bank Holiday Monday with a 2-0 win over The Hammers, but have since disappointed in their home stalemate against Hull and a totally under-whelming performance at Anfield. Home fans are still reeling from the fact that League One Leeds have taken us back to Elland Road for next week's FA Cup replay.

Fulham have played three consecutive away games, and lost to Chelsea, Stoke and Blackburn respectively. They have not been helped by the absence of key players through injury at times since Christmas. Both Bobby Zamora and Brede Hangeland have missed some playing time in recent weeks, but they should both be available tomorrow. However Clint Dempsey is now out for three months at least with a cruciate knee injury. Andy Johnson has yet to fully establish his fitness, whilst defenders Paul Konchesky and John Pantsil are also out. The Europa league seems to be taking its toll on Fulham, whose success last season was very much based on managing to steer clear of too many injuries.

Tom Huddlestone and Ledley King trained today for Spurs, and I suspect that Huddlestone will feature, whilst Ledley might be held back for the tricky game at St. Andrews on Saturday. Mind you, the number 26 could be lucky for Spurs! (See below).In the meantime we still have to do without Aaron Lennon, Jonathan Woodgate and Benoit Assou-Ekotto.

Gareth Bale has been in really good form since being given his chance in place of Ekotto, and will be hoping to get rid of the excruciating statistic that says he has yet to start and win a Premier League game for Spurs. Bale has still only started 22 league games for Spurs, and this is his third season. It must be time Gareth!

Alan Mullery is a former player of both clubs of course, and on Saturday he was wheeled out as a former Spurs Cup legend along with David Howells. Mullery obviously could not make the trip with Fulham to Accrington for their cup success, but I know he does share hospitality duties and loyalties between the two clubs, so he might be a half-time guest again!

Our last two league games against Fulham have been played on the last two Boxing Days, and have both been 0-0 draws. Spurs have a pretty good home record in Premier League meetings against the unfortunately nicknamed "Cottagers", and I'd like something like the 5-1 win on Boxing Day 2007, or the 4-0 on 15th December, 2001!

Any win will do though, and I'll take us to do it 2-0. If you are looking for an omen, Spurs have never lost a game when the two teams have met on the 26th of the month. Mind you, they haven't won them all, either:-

26.02.1938  Spurs   1-1   Fulham
26.03.1951  Spurs   2-1   Fulham
26.12.1967  Spurs   2-2   Fulham
26.02.2005  Spurs   2-0   Fulham
26.09.2005  Spurs   1-0   Fulham
26.12.2007  Spurs   5-1   Fulham
26.12.2008  Spurs   0-0   Fulham
26.12.2009  Fulham  0-0   Spurs

· · Spurs recent record in London Derby matches

White Noise

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2010/01/25/good-draw-wigan-or-notts-county/?

Good draw: Wigan or Notts County

On Saturday morning I took the tube into town.  I wanted two things: a device to allow me to tape record telephone conversations (nothing dodgy: I need to carry out a couple of interviews) and the latest Roberto Bolano novel, which I knew would be in stock at the London Review Bookshop (they get all the latest US titles in, and it's not out here for months).   These tasks completed without incident I whistled my way back to Tottenham Court Road, getting myself underground seconds before the rain started to get serious.

On the way home a girl sat opposite me.  One of these artistic types with summertime blonde hair, colourful tights and a flowery dress; mid-twenties maybe.  She had bought herself some underwear and was inspecting it to pass the time.   Later she got off at Clapham Common, but as she did, her new underwear fell to the floor, at the feet of a gentleman sitting two seats down from me. The girl kept on walking.    I paused.  The man either hadn't noticed or wasn't going to do anything about it.  Time passed slowly – split seconds felt like minutes – and eventually I acted, leaping to my feet, swiping up the knickers like Brooks Robinson ranging to his right, taking one step towards the doors, then hurling the knickers at the girl on the platform (she had, inexplicably, paused on the steps so the save was still on).  As I did this the doors closed and I shouted something – I can't remember what – she turned, wide-eyed with surprise, caught the knickers, then smiled.   I sat down again and continued to read the paper, glancing up to see a delighted thumbs up coming through the window.

No wonder she was happy, having avoided that horrible feeling of getting home and realising that you've lost something you thought you had.

Which is how it feels to be knocked out of the FA Cup.  One minute you're there, you're in, you have plans, expectations even, then it's all taken away.   Emptiness follows, and all your dreams are nothing. 

Being knocked out of the cup is a very disappointing thing, but this year I'm hopeful that it mightn't happen for a while.  We will not drop our underwear before we are ready to do so.   I'm sure of it.   We're going to Wembley.   (We just need some more good draws.)

White Noise

http://community.footballpools.com/blog/2010/01/25/alan-hansens-premier-league-picks-tottenham-v-fulham/?

Alan Hansen's Premier League Picks: Tottenham v Fulham

Tottenham were very disappointing in their 2-0 defeat at Anfield following on from another failure to score against Hull at home. Another poor result against Leeds at the weekend has put Spurs under increasing pressure. Harry Redknapp will be more than aware that his side needs to get back on the winning trail and fast, although they won't find Fulham an easy prospect particularly without Aaron Lennon who has been their main creative threat this season.

Harry praised his Croatian midfielders Luka Modric and Niko Kranjcar before the defeat at Liverpool but both were poor on the night. Neither is particularly physical and were simply bullied out of the match by Liverpool's aggressive tackling. Both players are very good technically but have similar strengths in terms of wanting to be on the ball and cutting inside rather than forcing their way down the flanks like Lennon does.

Spurs lacked width at Anfield as both Croatians went looking for the ball rather than hugged the touchline leaving the defence without an out ball apart from hitting it long to Peter Crouch. An option for Harry would be to reinstate David Bentley on the right but he seems way down the Spurs pecking order so unlikely to be involved. Roy Hodgson has made Fulham a very well organised outfit and these encounters have been very tight in recent years with the last two meetings finishing goal-less. I wouldn't be overly surprised if this was another repeat as neither of these sides are full of goals at the moment.

The Cottagers have a pretty poor record at White Hart Lane. They have not won there since August 2003 (three wins & two draws since). That remains Fulham's only league victory at the Lane in 62 years. They've also only scored one goal in their last five visits so it doesn't look prmising for them this midweek. Despite Spurs recent barren run in front of goal which has seen them fail to score in three of the last four league games, I cannot see Roy's team winning this one.

Fulham's away form has been very poor including 3 defeats in the last three away games at Chelsea, Stoke and Blackburn. In fact, the Cottagers haven't won any of their last 10 matches on the road although they have drawn four of those games. Roy will be without the likes of Bobby Zamora and Clint Dempsey so the likelihood of Fulham scoring against a well-drilled Spurs defence is slim.

Although Tottenham have struggled without Aaron Lennon's pace and incision on the flanks, I am predicting a home win in this one. The Croatians will certainly be more of a threat at home where Modric and Kranjcar will get more time on the ball but I still don't expect many goals in this one. If Spurs don't make the breakthrough in the first-half it may be a long afternoon for them although with a £45,000 Premier 10 rollover jackpot up for grabs, I am tipping them to return to winning ways.

White Noise

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2010/01/25/the-full-back-problem/?

The full-back problem

The unfortunate removal of Paul Konchesky and John Paintsil leaves our previously well-grooved defence looking somewhat iffy.   Part (most) of the main unit's success is in the way it works together; now half of it has been injured.  What now?  Spurs will probably throw Modric and Kranjcar at us from the flanks.  How best to defend them?

The first thing to note is that the midfield will have to have their wits about them.  The Spurs midfielders, especially at home, will get forward in numbers.  So we need numbers back to deal with them.   Gera and Duff can do this, but Gera may be needed as a 10 (and has looked poor out wide again), so who plays wide left?  Davies may not be fit.  Someone on TiFF is speculating that we may see a youngster.  It's a big ask, but whoever it is will have to defend first and foremost.

But full-back is where we're short.  Remaining options:  Kelly, Kallio, Baird, Marsh-Brown, Hughes, Stoor

I am always reluctant to criticise Fulham players.  I don't know if I know enough to judge players that well, and somehow it seems better to be wrong about someone you've been positive about than someone you've already slagged off.  This is how I approach things anyway:  capable until proven otherwise.    But to me, Stephen Kelly has not really looked comfortable in a Fulham shirt.  He has some quality – you can see this – but compare him with Paintsil and we're clearly lacking something.  Paintsil is supposedly quite eccentric, but his play is (by and large) remarkably steady.  He's usually in the right place at the right time, his tackling and heading are good, he's quick, has good balance, and rarely gets beaten by an opponent.  His passing isn't good, as such, but it is quite rare for him to give the ball away.  He is very underrated.  Kelly sometimes seems on the brink of something bad, at the very limit of his capabilities.  He makes me nervous.

Tony Kallio I'm not sure about.  He did well at left-back against Arsenal, but got turned really easily in the box against Blackburn last year to give away a goal, and we didn't see him after that.   He got mixed reviews on Saturday, which seems silly given that nobody really played well, but such is the occasional player's lot.  I wouldn't be surprised if he missed out against Spurs.

Chris Baird has three well-defined roles in the team, and full-back is very much an "if I have to" option.  He's far from the disaster that people make out, especially if he's going to be playing narrow (a very compact four that isn't dragged wide, which should be the case given Spurs' likely personnel), but you would hope (for his own sake) that he could stick in one position.

Keanu Marsh Brown is a non-starter really – hopefully he might get some loan experience, or at least a Coca-Cola Cup match.

Aaron Hughes?  Too valuable in the middle.

Fredrik Stoor?   I like him, but he has been turned inside out by a couple of wingers in his limited first team action.   There's something there – he always looks very handy on the ball – but his Fulham career looks like it's over.

The answer is that there is no answer.   We must, as usual, try to defend hard and as a unit, and play out the 0-0 draw!   My team:

Schwarzer; Kelly-Hughes-Hangeland-Kallio; Duff-Murphy-Baird-Greening; Gera; Zamora

White Noise

http://football.fanhouse.co.uk/2010/01/25/spurs-v-fulham-preview-crucial-period-looms-for-harry-redknapp/?

Spurs v Fulham Preview: Crucial Period Looms for Harry Redknapp's Team

25/1/2010 11:52 AM GMT By Ben Hunt

PREMIER LEAGUE: TUESDAY, JANUARY 26, 2010 KICK-OFF: 1945GMT

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR:
Spurs have have wobbled in the last couple of weeks but remain happy with their current place in the top four. Victory against a Fulham side without any pressing worries or lofty ambitions would establish a three-point cushion over nearest rivals Manchester City and could extend the gap between themselves and fellow contenders Liverpool and Aston Villa.

Anything less than three points however and the London club's grip on that all-important Champions League qualification spot will slacken. It would leave City with the luxury of two games in hand and the chance to overtake them by winning just one.

Villa would be able to do the same by making the most of their two extra fixtures, one which is home to Arsenal on Wednesday. Liverpool are in action at Wolverhampton at the same time as Harry Redknapp's side.

The season may still have four months to run but increasingly it is looking like make-or-break time for Spurs, who will end January with a trip to Birmingham City. That game is followed directly by a White Hart Lane showdown with Villa and Spurs fans will not need reminding that their favourites slipped up the last time they went head to head with a direct rival, losing 2-0 at Liverpool last week.

Redknapp insisted the critics who claim his side have hit a brick wall are simply wrong however. "Is that right?", he queried. "We have lost one in 10 so if that's a brick wall lets hope we can keep hitting it for the rest of the season.

"I don't listen to what people are saying because I have my own opinion about what's happening and how we are doing. It doesn't interest me. I just know how well we have done. We have just had six clean sheets and one defeat in 10. If that's a bad run then My God!"

Strategy: Redknapp played a strong side against Leeds United in the FA Cup on Saturday but it was unable to get the better of the League One side. Expect a few changes to freshen things up then, with Ledley King able to come back in the heart of defence - unless Redknapp wants to save him for Birmingham of course, as he cannot play twice in a week because of a knee injury. Wilson Palacios is a certainty to return to the heart of defence and Vedrun Corluka should supplant Alan Hutton at right back.

Injury Update: Winger Aaron Lennon is due for another scan on his injured groin muscle so his comeback will have to wait. Striker Roman Pavlyuchenko has suffered a similar fat but has not yet been ruled out and midfielder Tom Huddlestone is back in contention following a knee injury. Defender Benoit Assou-Ekotto remains sidelined however.

FULHAM:
Fulham travel to White Hart Lane buoyed by their victory in the FA Cup over League Two side Accrington Stanley on Saturday. An away victory - albeit against lowly opposition - will be a welcome memory for manager Roy Hodgson.

The Cottagers have won only once away from home in the Premier League all season - a dreadful record that will need to be improved upon if they are to repeat last year's triumph of a seventh placed finish. Hodgson says the club's away form is a mild concern, for he is pleased with the level of performance his side have been turning in on their travels.

He said: "It is never easy to win away from home. I'm not concerned about the way we are playing, I'm concerned that we are not winning. But if we keep on playing like we are then we will win some, that's for sure. We are working on it but it does boil down to the fact that decisions do go your way when you are at home."

Hodgson will be given a boost as a number of first team players are returning to fitness, including former Tottenham forward Bobby Zamora. Hodgson added: "We're missing several players from the team that finished seventh last season. But there are a lot of first-team players that we can recover as early as Tuesday so I'm pleased we got through the game on Saturday.

"I'm pleased that people like Bjorn Helge Riise and David Elm got their chance against Accrington. They're going to need this type of experience and practice because for a long time they've been sitting on the sidelines watching other people play."

Strategy: Hodgson will not be taking too many risks with his line-up and will opt for a 4-4-2 approach with Zamora poised to start in place of Erik Nevland or Zoltan Gera. Damien Duff and former Tottenham midfielder Simon Davies could provide the creativity in midfield.

Injury Update: Zamora has recovered from his shoulder injury however, Clint Dempsey, Paul Konchesky (ankle) and John Pantsil (knee) are all still sidelined.

White Noise

http://fulham.theoffside.com/transfers/loaner-report-12510.html

Loaner Report 1/25/10
By: timmyg | January 25th, 2010

Another player joins the Loaner ranks, as budding goalkeeper David Stockdale joined CCC strugglers (but my second choice team) Plymouth Argyle on a month-long loan. Plymouth's match against Barnsley was postponed due to a (seriously) water-logged pitch. Plymouth face Derby County on Tuesday.

Matthew Briggs and Leyton Orient take on Charlton Athletic today.

Eddie Johnson came off the bench in the 68th minute in Aris Salonika's 0-0 draw against Panathinaikos on Sunday.

Michael Uwezu came off the bench in the 64th minute in Lincoln City's 2-1 win against Bradford City.

Matthew Saunders started and played 90 minutes in the Imps' 2-1 win over The Bantams.

White Noise

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/preview?id=270010&cc=5739

Striker worry for Tottenham

Team Stat Comparison 
Tottenham Hotspur  Fulham 
Matches Played  22  21 
Table Position  4  9 
Points  38  27 
Goal Difference  18  2 
Goals for *  2.4  1.0 
Goals against *  0.7  1.6 
Last 5  L-D-W-D-W  L-L-L-D-W 
Last 5 home  D-W-W-L-W  D-W-W-D-W 
Last 5 away  L-D-W-D-D  L-L-L-D-L 
*  Goals per match - home matches for home club and away matches for away club 
·  Club Stats:  Tottenham Hotspur  |  Fulham 

Competition Stats 
Goals  Jermain Defoe 14  Bobby Zamora 6 
Reds  Jermain Defoe 1  Kagisho Evidence Dikgacoi 1 
Yellows  Jermaine Jenas 6  John Pantsil 4 
·   Club Squads : Tottenham Hotspur | Fulham 

Last Five Matches in Competition 
A: Liverpool 2-0  A: Blackburn Rovers 2-0 
H: Hull City 0-0  A: Stoke City 3-2 
H: West Ham United 2-0  A: Chelsea 2-1 
A: Fulham 0-0  H: Tottenham Hotspur 0-0 
A: Blackburn Rovers 0-2  H: Manchester United 3-0 
· Club Results: Tottenham Hotspur | Fulham 

Next Five Matches in Competition 
26/1  H: Fulham  26/1  A: Tottenham Hotspur 
30/1  A: Birmingham  30/1  H: Aston Villa 
6/2  H: Aston Villa  3/2  H: Portsmouth 
10/2  A: Wolverhampton Wanderers  6/2  A: Bolton Wanderers 
21/2  A: Wigan Athletic  9/2  H: Burnley 
· Club Fixtures: Tottenham Hotspur | Fulham 
Updated: January 25, 2010, 3:53 PM UK

Tottenham striker Roman Pavlyuchenko has a groin problem and could miss the Barclays Premier League clash against Fulham at White Hart Lane.
Tom Huddlestone (knee) and Ledley King (knee) will require late checks before kick-off, while Aaron Lennon (groin) and Benoit Assou-Ekotto (groin) are out.

Jonathan Woodgate (groin) and Carlo Cudicini (wrists and pelvis) are long-term absentees.

Jermain Defoe insists Tottenham will not bottle their Barclays Premier League top-four challenge as they reach a crucial point of the season.

Spurs are currently fourth in the table and have five games in the next 16 days, starting with the midweek visit of Fulham.

Defeat at Liverpool last week, along with draws against Hull and Leeds, have raised questions whether Harry Redknapp's side will sustain their campaign for Champions League football.

"That is part and parcel of playing at the top level,'' said Defoe on Sky Sports News.

"You are going to get that pressure. We've set that standard now and especially playing at home, teams are going to sit in and make it difficult for us.

"`It's important to keep focused. The spirit has always been good but at this stage it's important to stay focused. I truly believe everything will be okay.''

Bobby Zamora could make his return from injury for Fulham.

Zamora has been out since breaking his collarbone against Stoke earlier this month but his recovery has gone well and the striker could feature against his former club at White Hart Lane.

Diomansy Kamara and Simon Davies are also in line for comebacks having both been named among the substitutes for the Cottagers' FA Cup fourth-round tie at Accrington Stanley on Saturday.

Andy Johnson was ruled out of that match with a knee problem and faces a late fitness test, while Dickson Etuhu is still on African Nations Cup duty with Nigeria.

Clint Dempsey (knee), Paul Konchesky (ankle) and John Pantsil (knee) are all still sidelined.

Roy Hodgson is feeling positive about his attacking options again after Fulham showed they have plenty of strength in reserve.

Fulham have had to endure a terrible run of luck with injuries over recent weeks, with leading scorer Zamora breaking his collarbone and Clint Dempsey sustaining knee ligament damage at Blackburn in their next fixture.

Meanwhile, Andy Johnson made his first start for almost three months in the FA Cup third round against Swindon, only to be forced out of Saturday's fourth-round tie at Accrington Stanley with a knee problem. Hodgson's resources have been severely stretched, but the trip to the Crown Ground showed that he still has other decent options, with the likes of Bjorn Helge Riise and David Elm playing their part in Fulham's 3-1 victory.

Fit-again Diomansy Kamara and Simon Davies were also on the team-sheet as unused substitutes, and with Zamora nearing a return to fitness, Hodgson believes things are looking up again.

"We're missing several players from the team that finished seventh last season,'' Hodgson said. "(But) there are a lot of first-team players that we can recover as early as Tuesday so I'm pleased we got through the game (on Saturday).

"I'm pleased that people like Bjorn Helge Riise and David Elm got their chance. They're going to need this type of experience and practice because for a long time they've been sitting on the sidelines watching other people play.''

White Noise

http://cottagers.blogspot.com/2010/01/collection-point.html?

Monday, 25 January 2010

Collection point

Looking ahead to six home games (and one away game) in three weeks, I checked on the teams still to visit the Cottage. This weekend against Villa aside (although the last two seasons have seen two home wins), Fulham have a chance of filling their boots at Craven Cottage during the rest of the season.

The last 8 games could see 7 home wins (assuming a defeat by Man City - although Birmingham will be far trickier given the way they are playing).

Portsmouth
Burnley
Birmingham City
Stoke City
Manchester City
Wigan
Wolves
West Ham United

21 points on top of the current points tally will give 48 points, which was enough for 11th place last year. This is assuming there will be no points reaped on their travels, but only games at Hull and Bolton suggest the possibility of any.

This would suggest that Fulham will finish around about the half way point, well away from the European spots, but given the way the FA Cup and Carling Cup is shaping up it is unlikely that 7th will reap a European slot this year. I think many Fulham fans would have taken that at the start of the season, especially with qualification for the second stage of the Europa League secured.

And with participation in the last 32 of the Europa League and last 16 of the FA Cup, what can Fulham expect in the knock-out competitions? The tie against Notts County or Wigan is eminently winnable, mainly because it's at Craven Cottage. Another favourable (home) draw in the quarters could see a trip to Wembley for the semi-finals. Christ, anything goes! And as for Shaktar... have Fulham anything to lose? They're already further than expected.

Of course the one thing is is scuppering progress at the moment is the injury list which stayed remarkably short last year. It's extremely fortuitous that Hodgson strengthened the squad for Europe as it has become essential for the league.

Hangeland and Johnson have been rusty since returning from injury, but the team looks light up front and in the full back positions now. A little bit of jiggery pokery in the loan market here could pay great dividends to the team, even if it's only to recall Stoor from Derby County. James Beattie could be useful as a handful upfront and a reserve to Bobby Z.

That's if Elm is not up to the job.

White Noise

FA Youth Cup

Monday 25th January 2010

The Club can confirm that Fulham's 5th Round FA Youth Cup fixture against Ipswich Town will be played on Tuesday 2nd February at Portman Road Stadium.

The game will kick-off at 7pm.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/January/FAYouthCupConfirmation.aspx?#ixzz0dfRmrCsB

White Noise

Fulham v Portsmouth

Barclays Premier League

Wednesday 3rd February

Kick-Off 20:00

Tickets are now on General Sale  (max 6 tickets)

Buy tickets now|

Family Pack Offer
Family Packs are available for this game offering fantastic value for money! Buy two adult tickets for the match and receive two Junior tickets absolutely FREE! These tickets can be bought over the phone. Call 0870 442 1234 (select option 3) to book your Family Pack now quoting 'Family Pack'. This offer is only available to advance purchasers and not on the day of the game. All tickets are subject to availability in the Putney End Block P1 only.

Group Discounts
Receive two free tickets when you purchase six or more match tickets. These tickets can be bought over the phone. Call 0870 442 1234 (select option 3) to book your Group tickets now. Group Discounts can also be booked online using the group booking form. This offer is only available to advance purchasers and not on the day of the game. All tickets are subject to availability in the Putney End Block P1 only.

How to Buy tickets
buy tickets online  - 7 days a week, 24 hrs a day. Save on booking fees by booking online*
by phone on 0870 442 1234 (option 1) - 7 days a week, 24 hrs a day
in person from the Ticket Office: Mon-Fri 9am-5pm; non-match day Sat 10am-12pm
by fax 0207 384 4810 (download printable form )
by postal application to FFC Ticket Office, Stevenage Road, Fulham, SW6 6HH enclosing a stamped addressed envelope (download printable form )
Seatwave - the official fan-to-fan ticket exchange
Thomas Cook - match breaks for all Fulham FC home games
* Lower booking fees compared to telephone booking

Prices
Category B prices apply to this match.

Stand (Grade B)   Block   Adult   Conc   Junior 
Riverside   S, Z   £40   £25   £10 
J Haynes   D, DL, G, GL   £42   £28   £15 
Hammersmith / Putney   All Blocks   £35   £25   £15 
J Haynes   B, BL, C, CL J, JL, H, HL    £40   £25   £10 
J Haynes   A, K, AL, KL   £30   £20   £10 

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Tickets/Games/FulhamvPortsmouth.aspx#ixzz0dfSFJ4XH

White Noise

2010 FA CUP ODDS INDICATE CHELSEA AS HEAVY FAVOURITES TO WIN

By Carl Torres on 7:09PM GMT 25 Jan 2010

After another weekend of exciting FA Cup matches, we have a new slate of odds available for the winner of the world's oldest cup football competition. We still have a few replays to take care of before the next stage, but I expect some really solid matches to be taking place over the next few weeks- we could see some really exciting shocks in the next phase of the tournament.

As it currently stands, Carlo Acelotti's Chelsea side are the 6/4 favourites to win the competition. High-flying Manchester City are trading at 7/2 for the outright win, these are the favoured finalists, and then you'll notice the odds taking a significant jump to 7/1 for Aston Villa. Tottenham Hotspur still need to beat Leeds at Elland Road, but they're carrying an 8/1 price to win the tournament.

Fulham and Birmingham City trade at 14/1, and I actually think that's a great price on Birmingham. Even if they make the final, you're still looking at solid odds if you take them on the each-way. Bolton Wanderers can be backed at 28/1, Portsmouth, Stoke City and West Brom all trade at 40/1. Wigan Athletic are 50/1, but still need to win a replay.

Leeds United's odds to win the FA Cup are 66/1- the same price as Reading. Wolves pay out at a lengthy 80/1, alongside Cardiff City. Southampton can be backed at 100/1 whiel Derby County and Crystal Palace trade at 150/1. Notts County, the lowest-placed team in the competition are a massive 750/1.

Keep in mind that Blue Square are offering up specific odds of Chelsea or Manchester City (inclusive) to win the FA Cup. You can back both at 8/11 or opt for the "no" option which pays out at even money.

Betting tips http://bettingchoice.co.uk/2010-fa-cup-odds-indicate-chelsea-as-heavy-favourites-to-win_19000#ixzz0dfTGahIL