more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (17/07/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, July 17, 2011, 07:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Strike ace excites Jol

Fulham boss Martin Jol has expressed his delight at Bobby Zamora and he still thinks there is more to come from the big striker.

Jol is looking forward to an injury-free campaign from the 30-year-old who missed most of last season with a broken leg, with the Dutchman already identifying him as a key men for his new team.

Zamora was on the score sheet in their 3-1 Europa League qualifying win against Crusaders on Thursday as he underlined his importance to the Cottagers.

"He's a great target man," said Jol in The Sun.

"We are not 100 per cent fit yet but he is scoring goals - and as long as he's scoring goals then I'm happy with him.

"If he doesn't we've all got a problem as a team. He had an injury last year so he is coming back.

"He's going to get fitter and if he is fit he is a terrific player."

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/strike-ace-excites-jol-1240979.html?

WhiteJC

JOL BIDDING FOR MULTI MILLION POUND WORLD CUP WINNER

As Martin Jol continues to bolster his options amongst his squad, Mirror Football has reported he has turned his attention towards Parma's right back, Cristian Zaccardo.

The new gaffer is ready to bring the Italian International to Craven cottage for a cut-down price of £2m.

The World cup winner would certainly bring experience into the dressing room.

He was part of the highly successful Italy squad of 2006, playing his part making three appearances helping his country becoming crown champions, and also made 15 appearances for Wolfsburg during the 08/09 campaign where they went on to clinch the Bundesliga title.

The Mirror has also pointed out Jol faces competition from various clubs in Serie A and in Germany, the only two countries Zaccardo has plied his trade.

At the age of 29, maybe the 6ft plus defender would relish a new challenge, and with European football on offer West London could prove the perfect destination... We shall see.

http://www.footballtransfertavern.com/2011/07/premiership/jol-bidding-for-multi-million-pound-world-cup-winner?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TransferTavern+%28The+Transfer+Tavern+Home+Page%29

WhiteJC

Jol brings around the necessary changes

No fewer than six players have left Craven Cottage under Martin Jol's new, animated regime, and to think that will bring a close to the SW6 departure lounge could be considered well beyond foolish. Clearly, the Dutchman is a man of upheaval and the likes of Diomansy Kamara and Eddie Johnson aren't going to make him think twice about abrupt, inexorable redundancies.

With such an exodus will of course come an influx; one which is notably preceded by the special one head of John Arne Risse, an astute, if unexpected purchase, given Jol's ramblings of a bright, young future.

However people may perceive it, though, the mass culling at Fulham is nothing short of a necessary act, probably well overdue, irrelevant of the admirable consistency that a wholly unchanged squad achieved from 2008 right through to 2011. The insignificant end of that team of consistency were always in the decline, and it took a change in manager to pull out the grim reaper's scythe.

The assumption has always seemed to be, perhaps even to a nationwide extent, that Fulham have continued, over the prevailing years, to possess a thinning squad. Given our humble background and underestimated finances, even the best in the game see us as a team of little depth; certainly not a side that can boast considerable talent in every position on the field. Yet, it is a thankfully misguided stance to take. How can a side of such a shallow standing survive a Premier League season, finishing comfortably in mid-table, and fight so wondrously on a European front that would last an arduous, if delightful, nineteen matches?

The fact is, quite simply, that we do own a side of considerable expanse, and at times it can be a plague to progression. Zoltan Gera aside, the removal of said players, as well as those rumoured to be on the way out (Jonathan Greening and Carlos Salcido) is a simple ploy to make room in the squad and to halt a dragging decline in morale. Kamara and company were less than happy sitting on the sidelines, and stated so vocally.

Not only does it free up some required space in what was becoming a tight first team, but the action Jol has taken should also put us well on course to financial security, given the new Financial Fair Play implications set to be imposed in 2014. Perhaps, you could say, I'm getting a little ahead of myself, but we have firmly established ourselves as a team of great European pedigree and to throw such a nicety away would be nothing short of irresponsible. We are, as is any club, ambitious, so any hesitation to make progress would be nonsensical.

And progress is just what Jol plans to provide. As with any revolution, large or almost ineffectual, foundations need to be laid and the sales come hand in hand with Martin Jol's statement of intent that a younger Fulham will follow. Matthew Saunders ignored, the average age of the departed players reads twenty-nine years old. Not quite ancient but certainly not fresh.

The evacuation should provide a moral impetus for the younger players who have always harboured aspirations for first team football. With the proverbial blockades taken out of their paths, little is standing in the way of the likes of Kerim Frei and Matthew Briggs from making Jol's first team with refreshing regularity, as, let's face it, for all our success, the progress of our youth has been a flaw throughout the Premier League years.

The youth will not be the only ones to prosper, of course, as our humble abode will be blessed with a bountiful array of new arrivals. Funds raised and room prepared, Jol now has a deserving freedom to bring in the best that his far reaching knowledge can. His connections to Holland and Germany will no doubt prove indispensable, and his eye for potential will undeniably be invaluable. Christian Zaccardo and Antonio De Negris are the latest to be connected with Fulham moves. Hardly small fry.

With any set of leavers, there will be always be a degree of animosity towards those who instigated it; especially when John Pantsil is involved. However regrettably, though, revolutions require change and there will always be victims.

Yet hopefully, as the season progresses, the Craven Cottage faithful will be reaping the rewards of a quick and decisive manager who may, on the outside at least, appear genial and warm.

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2011/7/16/2278973/jol-brings-around-the-necessary-changes?

WhiteJC

Fulham track Palermo's Kasami

Palermo are giving serious consideration to Fulham's €3m offer for midfielder Pajtim Kasami.
The 19-year-old Swiss international has so far struggled to find space at the Stadio Barbera.

According to the latest reports, Fulham already enquired about the player last week, but have stepped up their interest.

The Cottagers look set to raise their bid to the €3m that will convince Palermo to part with Kasami.

http://www.football-italia.net/jul17d.html?

WhiteJC

Pastore: 'I'll only quit Palermo if...'

Javier Pastore has said he will leave Palermo only "for a big club and the opportunities I couldn't have here."
El Flaco has been on the market for months, but with a €50m price-tag there are few real options.

"If I were to leave Palermo, it would only be for a big club and continuing my professional growth with the opportunities I couldn't have here," he told Spanish newspaper Marca.

"President Maurizio Zamparini says he's sad to see me go, but at the same time he thinks it's the right moment to sell. We'll have to wait and see what happens."

Among the contenders are Real Madrid, Chelsea, Manchester City, Roma, Juventus, Milan and Malaga.

"I only learned about Malaga from the newspapers and I was astounded. In any case, I don't want to hear anything about my future until the Copa America has concluded.

"I haven't played in the Liga, but my friends tell me there's more room from the midfield up. If that is true, then obviously that will suit my football. I haven't had a chance to play in Spain yet, but in future I could do. Who knows?"

http://www.football-italia.net/jul16m.html

WhiteJC

Pastore stuck with Palermo

No club will match Maurizio Zamparini's demands for Javier Pastore. Serafino Ingardia explains the limitations that keep him tied to Palermo

Maurizio Zamparini has changed his mind again. Calcio fans have been used to the Palermo President's constant fluctuation of opinions and radical choices, but in this case his decision may have a bigger impact on this summer's calciomercato. As Zamparini claimed, Javier Pastore may remain in Sicily after all.

That is not because the Argentine starlet doesn't have any admirers of course, but the demands of the Rosanero are simply unreasonable. The €50m price tag that hangs over his head, despite being negotiable, is way above the reach of any Italian club, especially in these times of crisis.

Despite his glittering displays in Serie A, the 22-year-old talent has yet to prove himself internationally which, in addition to his hefty transfer fee, is preventing his move to foreign clubs. Furthermore, his fine form in the campionato didn't last too long, proving that El Flaco still needs a season or two to fully mature. His talent is unquestionable, but for that price buyers are understandably looking more for a fully established champion rather than a potential one.

Even with Argentina in the Copa America, Pastore is struggling to find a spot in Sergio Batista's team and Zamparini must hope something good happens in the next stages of the competition if he wishes to sell the player for a fee close to his requests. As it stands, there is little chance of seeing him anywhere other than Palermo.

In Serie A, aside from all the financial complications, Pastore would have troubles finding the right home. Under Gian Piero Gasperini, Inter will adopt a 3-4-3 strategy which doesn't require a trequartista. Juventus too play without one and Pastore could only be used as a shadow striker – it would be a huge and irresponsible gamble for the Old Lady after the failure of Diego only two years ago.

Roma don't have the budget to go for a player of his calibre yet, although Walter Sabatini, the man who brought Pastore to Italy, would love to have him. Milan could do with him, but have bigger problems to solve at the moment. Napoli would be a fascinating option but the Azzurri don't have €50m to spend, unless Aurelio De Laurentiis manages to play the same trick as Zamparini, selling his starlet Marek Hamsik for a shocking fee.

But the issue around the sale of the former Huracan player doesn't concern only his price-tag. Pastore represents for many a tactical dilemma because he is an atypical attacking midfielder. The Argentine is arguably one of the most gifted and creative players around, but is also a player who tends to move a lot and doesn't stick to the same position for all 90 minutes. As a result of that instinct, he tends to disappear for long spells.

Playing for the Rosanero last season with complete freedom of movement, he was often dragged out of position playing as a shadow striker, moving to the flank or even stepping back as a regista. That is a quality which however comes with a drawback: big clubs tend to prefer players who are constantly in the game and move in a specific part of the pitch.

One of the main problems for his teammates at Palermo was that on bad days they didn't know where to find Pastore. He worked incredibly well on a formation built around him, but for top clubs it is a really big risk to create a formation of 10 men plus Pastore, especially if it comes with a €50m fee. Given this tactical complication and the enormous demands from Palermo, Pastore's future may be tied down to Sicily until his price drops or a sheik falls in love with his amazing talent.

http://www.football-italia.net/blogs/si139.html

WhiteJC

Allardyce pulled Eidur deal

Eidur Gudjohnsen's transfer to West Ham fell through after the plug was pulled by Sam Allardyce.

According to a source at West Ham, Allardyce withdrew the contract offer after failing to be sufficiently convinced by the 32-year-old striker's desire to play for the club.

The West Ham boss met Gudjohnsen - who had already passed a medical - on Friday, the day after he returned from Switzerland with the first team squad. Allardyce had insisted on speaking with the former Barcelona and Chelsea star prior to agreeing a deal.

Allardyce is understood to have expressed his reservations following that meeting - and before Gudjohnsen's father, who also acts as his business representative, told West Ham later in the day that AEK Athens had entered the race to sign his son.

According to the club source, Allardyce pulled the plug on the deal first thing this morning having decided that signing the much-travelled Gudjohnsen would not be in the club's best interests, leaving the path clear for AEK to sign the out-of-contract forward.

Rumours that the deal to sign Gudjohnsen was cancelled due to Carlton Cole's refusal to jon Stoke were also dismissed by the source.

Groundhogsen day - timeline

16th June: Gudjohnsen released by Stoke City.

9th July: West Ham linked with a third bid for Gudjohnsen.

12th July: West Ham complete talks with Gudjohnsen: contractual terms agreed. A four-year old KUMB Forum thread is revived.

14th July: Gudjohnsen passes a medical in Essex. Sam Allardyce returns from Switzerland.

15th July: Allardyce meets Gudjohnsen to discuss the move.

15th July: Arnor Gudjohnsen tells West Ham AEK Athens want to sign his son.

16th July: Allardyce informs the Gudjohnsen's that the deal is off.

http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=125486

WhiteJC

Striker tipped for big season

Fulham boss Martin Jol has expressed his delight at Bobby Zamora and he still thinks there is more to come from the big striker.
Jol is looking forward to an injury-free campaign from the 30-year-old who missed most of last season with a broken leg, with the Dutchman already identifying him as a key men for his new team.

Zamora was on the score sheet in their 3-1 Europa League qualifying win against Crusaders on Thursday as he underlined his importance to the Cottagers.

"He's a great target man," said Jol in The Sun.

"We are not 100 per cent fit yet but he is scoring goals - and as long as he's scoring goals then I'm happy with him.

"If he doesn't we've all got a problem as a team. He had an injury last year so he is coming back.

"He's going to get fitter and if he is fit he is a terrific player."

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/striker-tipped-for-big-season-1240979.html?#.TiJ_V8016s0

WhiteJC

Who's in and who's out

Fulham
In:
Dan Burn (Darlington) undisclosed fee;
John-Arne Riise (Roma) £2.4m,
Csaba Somogyi (Rakospalotai EAC) free transfer,
Tom Donegan (Everton) free

Out:
Zoltan Gera (released);
Diomansy Kamara (released);
John Pantsil (released);
Eddie Johnson (released);
Matthew Saunders (released),
Kagisho Dikgacoi (Crystal Palace) undisclosed

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/blogs/football-spy/Transfers-Premier-League-club-by-club-list-of-deals-done-Manchester-United-Liverpool-Manchester-City-Chelsea-Tottenham-Arsenal-article769380.html#ixzz1SLTxBYAA

White Noise

http://aggbot.com/link.php?id=14270851&r=tw&c=43

Sunderland signing Vaughan: Leaving Blackpool was stressful

15.07.11 | tribalfootball.com

Sunderland signing David Vaughan admits it was difficult leaving Blackpool.

The Wales midfielder joined Sunderland on a Bosman last week.

But the quietly-spoken Wales international is confident he has made the right move after also speaking to West Bromwich Albion and Fulham.

Vaughan said: "It's been a little bit stressful this summer leaving Blackpool. I didn't really want to leave but being relegated made my decision for me and the main reason for leaving was to stay in the Premier League.

"Blackpool will always be a special place for me, the promotion was special and some of the results and moments last season as well but it was just tinged with disappointment because of relegation. In a few years I'll look back with fond memories on my time there.

"I've come here to do my best and fight for my place. Being in the Premier League taught me just how difficult it is. You've got to play to your full potential in every game. You've got to be confident you can play in a team like this or it's pointless coming really. If I can get my chance in the team I can show what I can do."

White Noise

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/news/2011/07/17/fulham-boss-jol-keen-to-re-sign-malbranque-102039-23275844/

Fulham boss Jol keen to re-sign Malbranque

Jul 17 2011

by Dave Kidd, The People

FULHAM have been given the chance to re-sign their former midfielder Steed Malbranque, writes DAVE KIDD.

Boss Martin Jol is showing an interest in the Frenchman, regarded as one of Fulham's all-time greats – yet made available by Sunderland.

Jol signed Malbranque from Fulham for Tottenham in 2006, after the player had spent five successful seasons at Craven Cottage.

Although he is intent on lowering the average age of Fulham's squad, Jol could make an exception for 31-year-old Malbranque, as he will not cost big money.

Malbranque has also attracted the attention of both BLACKBURN and QPR.

White Noise

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/news/2011/07/17/barcelona-accpet-bolton-s-bid-for-starlet-jeffren-102039-23275855/

Barcelona accpet Bolton's bid for starlet Jeffren

Jul 17 2011

by Alan Nixon, The People

Bolton boss Owen Coyle has had a £5million bid for Barcelona's young winger Jeffren Suarez ­accepted – and is battling against THREE Spanish giants to sign him.

Trotters chief Phil Gartside met the Champions League ­winners to discuss moves for both Thiago Alcantara and Jeffren – and got the nod to approach the latter.

The speedy 23-year-old ­attacker can go because Barca are trying to trim their squad and make way for new arrivals.

Jeffren has also been offered to several clubs in swaps.

Bolton face competition from Sevilla, Valencia and Atletico Madrid – with Fulham also in the hunt.

However, Bolton are the only club to agree a fee for Jeffren, one of the ­successes of Spain's recent Under-21 European Championship triumph, and an occasional player for Barca's all-star side.Coyle also wanted 20-year-old ­midfield schemer Alcantara, but his performances and the interest of bigger clubs, such as Manchester United, meant that Barca put the Italian on a long-term contract, and even stopped a proposed loan move to the Reebok.

However, Bolton have been on Jeffren's trail for some time.

Panache

Their spies have been camped out in Spain all last season and the reports are encouraging.

Jeffren can play anywhere across the front line and has the kind of skill that Coyle wants in his side.

The Scot's main problem will be convincing him to come to England. However Barca would be ­happy to see Jeffren move to the Premier League rather than stay in La Liga.

Meanwhile, Coyle has been snubbed by Benfica coach Jorge Jesus in his bid to land Spanish attacker Rodrigo Moreno.

Chairman Gartside had set up a deal for the exciting talent in a flying visit to Lisbon. But Jesus now wants to use Rodrigo, who had been keen on a return to the Reebok after a season on loan.

White Noise

Stefano Okaka very upset over Roma axing

17.07.11 | tribalfootball.com

Stefano Okaka is stunned to have been frozen out at AS Roma.

The former Fulham and Bari striker is not part of Coach Luis Enrique's plans and has been left at home while his teammates went to Brunico.

"The lad is very upset and bitter," agent Giampiero Pocetta told Rete Sport.

"Being excluded from the training camp was like a bucket of cold water over his head. Out of respect for his teammates, he accepted the situation.

"The transfer market will give us new indications for a move and clearly Roma will have no problems letting him talk to other clubs."

White Noise

Jordan Slew rejects Fulham to pen new Sheffield Utd deal

16.07.11 | tribalfootball.com

Fulham have missed out on Sheffield United superkid Jordan Slew.

The teen has been a top target for Fulham after a superb season with the struggling Blades.

The Sun says Slew, 18, has rejected a £500,000 move to Craven Cottage and signed a new two year deal at Sheffield United.

The striker has also been tracked by Arsenal, Tottenham and Liverpool.

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_7036599,00.html

Cottagers eye Croat

Fulham keeping tabs on Hajduk striker

By Jure Bohoric & Graeme Bailey.   

Last Updated: July 14, 2011 3:28pm

Fulham are keeping tabs on Croatian striker Ante Vukusic.

Vukusic: Growing interest

The Cottagers are known to be one of the clubs that travelled to watch Hajduk Split tackle Bursaspor in a pre-season friendly.

And the reason for Fulham's presence was hot-shot Vukusic, who has previously been linked to Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham.

Martin Jol's scouts are keeping close tabs on the highly-rated 20-year-old, who has scored 21 goals in the last two campaigns with Hajduk.

Vukusic is a Croatia Under-21 international, who has spent his whole career in Split.

WhiteJC

Win signed Mark Schwarzer gloves!

FANCY winning a pair of goalkeeper's gloves signed by Fulham No1 Mark Schwarzer?

We've teamed up with www.prodirectsoccer.com – the world's largest online football store – to offer Chronicle readers the chance to win one of two pairs signed by the Australian ace.

Schwarzer wears Mitre Anza Schwarzer gloves, which he helped develop with the professional goalkeeper in mind. An embossed backhand and anatomical flex zone improve flexibility, while the full elastic cuff ensure they are easy to get on.

For your chance to win this top-class prize, answer the following question:

Which country does Mark Schwarzer represent?

a) Australia

b) Argentina

c) Austria

To enter, visit our Facebook page, Fulham FC News, click 'like' and post your answer underneath the question.

Closing date for entries is midday Wednesday, July 20. Normal competition rules apply.

If you're not lucky this time, but want to get your hands on the world's best football equipment, log on and order from www.prodirectsoccer.com – the professional's choice, direct to your door.

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/07/17/win-signed-mark-schwarzer-gloves-82029-29068693/?#ixzz1SMc3rrUo

WhiteJC

Rohan Ricketts, Robin Shroot, Joe Welch and Fulham

First things first and news filtered through yesterday that goalkeeper Joe Welch has signed for Blue Square Premier outfit Ebbsfleet United. Welch had been hopeful of staying at Boro after his contract at Histon ended and played the second half of Boro's first pre-season friendly on Wednesday against Hitchin Town. However, Welch has taken the opportunity presented to him by Liam Daish and signed for the Kent side.

He was signed by Westley towards the end of last season as back-up for Chris Day, but didn't actually make a first team appearance. It would have been a surprising decision if he had signed for Boro to be honest. With Alan Julian returning to the club to put pressure on Day, then there isn't a big need for a third keeper.

It had been thought that Welch would sign a two year deal and then go out on loan for the 2011/12 season. It hasn't worked out though and Welch finds himself back in the Conference, but with a better chance of first team football, which will be better for him at his age. Best of luck to him.

Staying with transfer news and it seems that 10 midfielders isn't quite enough for Graham Westley. The latest player to be linked with a move to Broadhall Way is former Tottenham and Wolves midfielder Rohan Ricketts. As what is increasingly becoming the norm, Ricketts confirmed that talks had taken place via his personal twitter account.

@RohanRicketts
Rohan Ricketts
I also had a great conversation with Stevenage gaffer Graham Westley. The man real has the mindset of a winner. Very humble champion!!
16/07/2011 00:11 via Twitter for BlackBerry®ReplyRetweetFavorite

Ricketts is currently on trial at Southend United and appeared as a second half substitute in their friendly defeat against Dundee United yesterday. He will find out on Monday (tomorrow) if he is to be offered a permanent contract by Paul Sturrock. I would be very surprised if Ricketts was signed without someone else making way. It was widely expected that David Bridges and Joel Byrom would be allowed to leave this summer, but both have stayed put. Byrom's performances over the play-offs have probably earned him an extra year, but it's difficult to understand the logic of keeping Bridges on?

There's also a decision to be made on Robin Shroot, who is currently on trial with us. Shroot played against Hitchin in the week and generally impressed the Boro faithful. He started his career in non-league football with AFC Wimbledon before being picked up by Birmingham City. He failed to make the grade at St Andrews and after several loan spells at the likes of Cheltenham, Walsall and Burton, he was released this summer.

"It has been very demanding, as pre-season training always is, but I've enjoyed every minute of it. Everyone is ready for the season ahead in League One and it would be nice to be a part of that because there are some big clubs in that division now. I would like to sign for Stevenage because I've got a lot of respect for the manager here." Shroot on possible Stevenage switch
Shroot will be hoping to make another impression against Fulham this afternoon. Martin Jol's side will be making the trip to Hertfordshire, just days after their Intertoto Cup victory against Crusaders. It is expected to be a weaker side, but the likes of England U21 keeper David Stockdale and new signing John Arne Riise may feature. As per Wednesday's game against Hitchin, there will be LIVE updates from the game here from 3pm.

http://fcboro.co.uk/2011/07/17/rohan-ricketts-robin-shroot-joe-welch-and-fulham/?

WhiteJC

Malbranque Coming Back?

Having been released by Sunderland, could an old-boy be heading back to Craven Cottage.

Steed Malbranque, now thirty-one years of age, according to one leading tabloid is wanted by Martin Jol.

Jol, who signed Malbranque from is for Spurs, is currently eyeing the situation up and having worked with the player is prepared to bend the policy of not signing older players to try and get the Frenchman back to Craven Cottage.

Would it be a good move or a bad move?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=247557#ixzz1SMcmnCC6

WhiteJC

Fulham To Miss Out On Young Trio?
by LORK on JULY 17, 2011

After being heavily linked with moves for Jeffren of Barcelona, Jordan Slew at Sheffield United and Liverpool's Tomas Ince reports suggest that we're going to miss out on the three. Slew is apparently close to signing a new contract whereas Sky Sports after reporting Ince was on his way last week have a scoop on a loan move to Blackpool. The People themselves are running a story saying Bolton have had a 5 million pound bid accepted for Spanish U21 star Jeffren although it doesn't say that a deal's close to being done. Disappointing, but it happens

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/07/fulham-to-miss-out-on-young-trio/?

WhiteJC

Maarten Jol's Black & White Army

Well hello again. It's been a while, I hope you're all keeping well.

Last season I attempted to maintain some level of Fulham writing by providing occasional top fives for this esteemed blog. Time rather got the better of me and the extensive research required (i.e. reading Wikipedia) to produce a top five due to my appalling memory for facts hampered me even further. A recent round robin email discussion initiated by Timmy has reignited my desire to write about Fulham so I thought I'd try and produce a weekly post. Hopefully a fairly lighthearted compliment to the excellent analysis done by Richard and Timmy. Let me know if I outstay my welcome.

The other week I made the short trip to Kingston for the Fulham XI friendly against AFC Wimbledon. I was born in Kingston and with the ground only a 20 minute train ride and a short walk away it would have been rude not to go. Whilst the team was always going to be largely made up from Development Squad players (are they still called that?) it's nice to see some of the academy kids, players you otherwise only know by name. Lork wrote a fairly extensive report on HammyEnd.com so I won't go into great detail suffice to say that we played some decent football but lacked a bit of guile in the final third of the pitch.

Stockdale marshals Fulham defence

It was lovely to stand on a terrace again. I know a lot of us 40-somethings probably sound a repetitive droning on about how much we miss be able to stand, but it really is the best way to watch football. The low roof over the Kingston Road stand gave the game a sort of wide-screen appearance I rather liked. It was also nice to be able to mingle with home fans. I chatted with a few Wombles fans and enjoyed a spell of "identify the player" for both teams, it seemed The Don's had almost as many trialists and academy players in their side as we did.

A rare example of an in-focus picture that includes some action & a ball

A small group of Fulham fans put in a good effort on the singing front which helped give the match a bit of atmosphere it might otherwise have liked. Within the first quarter of an hour we'd managed a call of "Maarten Jol's Black & White Army" and received a cheery wave from our new manager who was sitting in the stands. This was interesting I thought. I don't remember us attempting a version of "Mark Hughes Black & White Army" until several months into his reign. Was this because we didn't warm to the man very quickly or just a result of the lack of syllables in his name? Maybe this lack of early support contributed to the Welsh man's decision to cut an run. I think it's a good sign that we've got off on the right foot.

Mr Jol seems happy to be here and I'm excited about the adventure ahead in a way that I didn't feel last season. Clearly selecting a manager with a three or four syllable name is the right way to go and should be a factor for consideration in future managerial appointments. Actually, I've not entirely thought that through. Lawrie Sanchez had four syllables but had a difficult possessive apostrophe. Don Mackay, who I believe was the first boss on whom we bestowed the honour, proved to be a great song leader but a poor manager. On the positive side we have Adams, Keegan, Tigana, Coleman & Hodgson. If Jol can live up to the achievements of that group we'll all be happy.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/07/17/maarten-jols-black-white-army/?