https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (21/07/11)

Started by WhiteJC, July 21, 2011, 07:34:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Jol plots Fulham business
Boss believes he must bolster squad with at least two more

Martin Jol has conceded his squad needs strengthening if Fulham are to compete in all competitions this season.

The Cottagers began what promises to be an arduous campaign on June 30 against NSI Runavik in the Europa League first qualifying round.

Jol has relied heavily on youth prospects against the Faroese minnows and in the next round against Crusaders, who Fulham host on Thursday night after winning last week's first leg 3-1.

And while the Dutchman feels such matches are more like pre-season friendlies, he admits he needs some new recruits if the Cottagers are to do themselves justice all season.

"I am happy with the business we've done so far but, as you know, we've lost six or seven players," said the Fulham boss.

"We need a couple of players to get a very good young squad.

"Up front, for example, we have Bobby [Zamora] and Andrew [Johnson], then the rest is [Lauri] Dalla Valle, [Marcello] Trotta - very young players.

Back-up

"We played them in the [friendly] matches against Wimbledon and Stevenage and they're not ready yet to fill in that role as a back-up for Johnson and Zamora.

"They are talented but of course we need players.

"[Clint] Dempsey is coming back so that helps, but he plays on the left.

"[Moussa] Dembele is injured so last week we had a little problem against Crusaders.

"I had to play Kerim Frei on Thursday and Sunday, which is maybe evidence that we need a couple of players."

However, Jol has insisted there is no truth about reports linking him with moves for Tottenham striker Robbie Keane, Barcelona's Jeffren and Sunderland's former Fulham favourite Steed Malbranque.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_7051046,00.html?

WhiteJC

Early Team News: Riise To Make His Debut
by LORK on JULY 20, 2011

Two bits of early team news today. The first is that Jol has said that John Arne Riise will make his first full start in tomorrow's game against the Crusaders. After a 60 minute cameo for the Reserves last saturday he has clearly been deemed fit enough to play in a competitive game, in all likelihood at the express of Briggs who's done nothing wrong but when you compare the quality of the two players it is not a difficult decision. Hopefully we'll see him alot more later on in the season mind.

Now for the bad news. West London-based journalist Jacob Murtagh has taken to Twitter to announce that Simon Davies will be out for a month with a knee injury. This will be a blow for the midfielder, with question marks already over his fitness he would have been keen to prove his quality to the new manager. It also means our squad takes another blow but hopefully we would not have to dip too far deep into it during the first few weeks of the season anyway.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/07/early-team-news-riise-to-make-his-debut/?

WhiteJC

Watch tomorrow's game on CCN!

For those of you not able to be at the game in person, the good people at Dailymotion are showing the game.  This means you can watch the match here!  Which is a first.  Just press play in the box above.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/07/20/watch-tomorrows-game-on-ccn/?

WhiteJC

Carlos Salcido close to Fulham exit

MARTIN Jol has revealed Fulham are in talks with several clubs in a bid to offload defender Carlos Salcido.

Jol told the Chronicle last week that he is willing to let let the wantaway Mexican, who has yet to return to Craven Cottage following international duty, leave SW6 if the price is right.

"We are talking to a few clubs," said the Fulham boss.

"If the conditions are fine he will go but if not he will come back. I know him from Holland and the Mexican national team so either way it will be a good solution.

"If he stays it will be good for me but if he goes it will be good for the club because we get some money in."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/07/20/carlos-salcido-close-to-fulham-exit-82029-29090002/?#ixzz1SietZCU8

WhiteJC

Fulham midfielder to miss Premier League opener

MARTIN Jol will have to do without Simon Davies for another month as he struggles to overcome a knee injury.

The midfielder has been on the treatment table since the Europa League win against NSI Runavik on June 30 and faces another four weeks on the sidelines - ruling him out of the Premier League opener against Aston Villa next month.

But boss Jol does have new signing John Arne Riise available, who is expected to replace Matthew Briggs at left-back.

The Dutchman also confirmed that young striker Marcello Trotta will also be added to the squad as they look to seal their spot in the third qualifying round.

Moussa Dembele (ankle) is out, while the clash comes too soon for Clint Dempsey, who only returned to pre-season training this week.

Advanced tickets (before 9am tomorrow) are still available for the game, priced just £5 adults, £1 children.

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/07/20/fulham-midfielder-to-miss-premier-league-opener-82029-29091177/?#ixzz1SifAkcIM

WhiteJC

Fulham complete Gecov signing

Fulham manager Martin Jol has announced that Czech Under-21 international Marcel Gecov has joined from Slovan Liberec for an undisclosed fee.

The 23-year-old impressed during the summer's Under-21 European Championships and has been on the Cottagers' radar for the past year.

Gecov has penned a two-year deal with the club after successfully passing a medical.

"He's signed and I am happy with him," said Jol. "He is a very talented player.

"Good midfield player and played against England [in the Under-21 European Championships] and got two assists so he is full of confidence.

"He knows he can play against English teams and that helps. He signed the contract yesterday. He had a very good tournament and was very decisive in games.

"That gave us confidence and he has been on our radar for at least a year.

"The Fulham scouts knew him and had very good reports on him."

The deal is reportedly worth £700,000 and Jol believes Gecov is a good addition to the Cottagers' squad.

"He is a typical midfield player and he is relatively young," he added. "He is aggressive and, as I've said, I am happy he is on board."

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/article-23971645-fulham-complete-gecov-signing.do?

WhiteJC

Preview: Fulham v Crusaders

John Arne Riise will make his Fulham debut as the Cottagers look to complete their progression to the third qualifying round for the Europa League.

Martin Jol's men lead Crusaders of Northern Ireland 3-1 from last week's meeting, with former Liverpool and Roma left back Riise set to get his first outing in Fulham white in Thursday's second leg.

Experienced trio Clint Dempsey (jetlag), Moussa Dembele (ankle) and Simon Davies (knee) are all set to miss the visit of the cross-channel opposition, with Jol likely to mix in some younger faces to his starting side.

John Arne's brother Bjorn Helge Riise, Lauri Dalla Valle, Tom Donegan and Karim Frei are among those hoping for run-outs.

Timmy Adamson's goal gave Crusaders the chance of a shock last week and, while Fulham's flurry makes that now very unlikely, new signing Paul Leeman says Thursday's game still has the team buoyant and excited.

"We're going up against a team from the English Premier League - which a lot of people reckon is the best in the world. Everyone, including myself, thought the days when Irish League clubs faced opposition like that in Europe were over, so it's exciting," he sad in the Belfast Telegraph.

"I'd say I'm as excited as I've ever been in the build-up to a European game.

"Fulham were in the final of the Europa League just over a year ago, so for us to be on the same pitch as them will be a great experience for everyone in the team.

"Whatever happens two pre-season games against top class opposition will benefit us when it comes to our domestic campaign."

Fulham (from): Schwarzer, Baird, Hangeland, Senderos, Hughes, JA Riise, Etuhu, Murphy, Sidwell, BH Riise, Trotta, Dalla Valle, Zamora, Johnson, Stockdale, Kelly, Donegan, Frei.

http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/2011/07/20/Preview-Fulham-v-Crusaders-Thurs/gnid-101246/?

WhiteJC

Swansea City In Final Attempt To Sign Stockdale

Reports today suggest that Swansea City are going to try one last time to bring Fulham goalkeeper David Stockdale to the club.

The Cottagers are not willing to sell the 25 year-old shot stopper, and while he is available on a loan transfer, manager Martin Jol is not interested in loaning him to a fellow Premiership club because he'll be unable to include a 24-recall clause in the deal.

Jol is willing to loan out Stockdale, but only to a Championship club as he'll be able to recall him instantly if he needs to.

Despite the difficulties in a potential move for Stockdale to Swansea City, Brendan Rodgers is keen on the goalkeeper and would like to bring him in as our number 1, as Nottingham Forest's Lee Camp - our other target - looks out to be out of our reach.

Brendan Rodgers told the Evening Post that he's hoping to reach a solution regarding Stockdale, and that he'll know either way within the next 1-2 days:

'I have spoken to a number of clubs about a number of keepers,'

'I spoke to (Fulham boss) Martin Jol yesterday about David Stockdale's situation.

'It's well-known that they want him to get a loan experience, but the difficulty for Fulham is that if he goes to another Premier League club, they won't have an immediate recall.

'So even though the Premier League is the best level for him to be at, strategically it may not be best for Fulham.

'But we are looking to see if there's a solution.

'We think we will know either way in the next 24 to 48 hours whether David is going to be in the list of keepers we could go for, and that's important.

'We need to know one way or the other so that we can move forward.'

Rodgers is looking for a replacement for Dorus De Vries who joined Wolves this Summer. Jose Moreira has arrived from Benfica but the Irishman is still looking for another shot stopper, what with Yves Makalambay set to leave having not being offered a new contract.

Read more: http://www.swansea.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=247939#ixzz1SigY2Vev

WhiteJC

JOHN TERRY, JAMIE CARRAGHER, PHIL NEVILLE, DANNY MURPHY AND THE PLAYERS MOST LIKELY TO BECOME MANAGERS

John Terry has reiterated his desire to become a manager when he hangs up his boots, specifically setting his sights on one day being named Chelsea boss. "Bringing in Roberto di Matteo as his [Villas-Boas'] assistant and giving chances to players who've been around the club gives encouragement to players like me, Frank Lampard, Didier Drogba and Petr Cech that if we do our badges there will be roles in the future, whether it's with the first team or reserves," said Terry. "That's my overall aim, to become a manager."

The England captain is part of a rare breed these days, however, as Premier League players earn more than enough money to avoid the stresses and strains of top level management. So which current pros are most likely to end up having a crack at the management game? TalkSPORT assesses some of the most likely candidates...

JOHN TERRY
He says: "I'd love to manage Chelsea, whether that comes two years after I finish playing, straight away or five years away, I'd love to manage Chelsea Football Club. I've been there all my career, and I want to stay on here to the end, and I feel that I've got some knowledge to pass on, maybe to the youth team at first and then the first team. I'm doing the badges at the moment so hopefully that'll be done sooner rather than later, and then I can look towards that."

Prospects: Some might argue Terry's been the boss at Stamford Bridge for a few years already. With his stated desire to become a manager and his status as one of the biggest names in English football, there is no doubt Terry will get his chance. Whether that is at Stamford Bridge, we can only wait and see.

Jamie Carragher
He says: "I still want to go into management. I'm sure I'll stay in football in some capacity. That might be as a trainer, a coach or a manager. I don't think I could live without football. It's been part of my life since the age of four or five and I think and talk about it constantly. I'd have to try management one day and see if it's for me. If it wasn't, I'd just move on."

Prospects: Carragher is studying for his coaching badges and is a self-confessed football addict, devouring as much information about the game as possible when he's not playing or training. If Kenny Dalglish is still around when the Bootle-born defender retires, the canny Scot would no doubt be keen to get Carra – who's now Liverpool through-and-through, despite growing up an Evertonian – into his backroom staff, keeping alive the old Anfield bootroom legacy.

Danny Murphy
He says: "In an ideal world, of course I'd love to go into the coaching side of it, but I think I've got a few more years left to play. I've started the ball rolling on my badges, and I'm moving forward with that."

Prospects: Murphy allegedly threw his hat into the ring for the Fulham job after Mark Hughes quit, but the club opted for the experience of Martin Jol. Having come through under Dario Gradi at Crewe, Murphy may be wise to learn his trade lower down the league, as he did a player, but he's proved a class act on the field and we wouldn't bet against him translating that into management.

DAVID BECKHAM
He says: "Management is not something I am passionate about and it is not something I have thought about. I love coaching kids, people know I love coaching kids, but being a manager – no. I have other interests that I want to fulfil before anything else. Then again, when I stop playing I still want to be involved in football in some way but I don't think it will be as a manager."

Prospects: Beckham says now that he isn't interested in becoming a manager, which is not a surprise considering the intense focus he has always given his playing career. But he is a fierce competitor and, when he no longer has the glory of involvement in top level sport, will he be satisfied with simply being a celebrity? Perhaps, but a lion heart like Beckham would surely thrive on the day-to-day involvement with players, even if it's just as a coach, rather than spending all his time advertising underpants and doing OK magazine photoshoots. This is one man who would surely walk into the England manager's job, too, regardless of experience.

DAVID JAMES
He says: "I've done my Level Two badge, which is the first step for a professional. I'm planning on doing my Level Three this year and getting Level Four and the Pro Licence as soon as I can. Management is something I really want to do."

Prospects: James has always been one of the deeper thinkers involved in Premier League football and a career that's spanned two decades ought to have given him ample experience of the game, allied to the coaching and management qualifications he's undertaken. The 'keeper put himself forward for the vacant Portsmouth manager's job in 2010, but was overlooked and ended up signing for Bristol City. At nearly 41 years of age – eight years older than Andre Villas-Boas – it's only a matter of time before he gets his first managerial role, however.

PHIL NEVILLE
He says: "I'm getting to the age now where I have to start looking at the next chapter of my life. As players, we love playing football and we love the game, and this is the next obvious step. You've been doing one job for so many years, and you've got another 35 years to do another, and for me that means going into coaching and management."

Prospects: His brother Gary has gone on record as saying management isn't for him and has subsequently moved into safer world of TV punditry, so the path is clear for Phil to carry the Neville name into management. His Everton boss David Moyes has already backed Phil: "When you have to get results for the team you soon become nasty and horrible. I'm sure Phil can do that," Moyes told the Liverpool Echo in 2010. "But he has all the other credentials – he's a great leader, a good motivator, and he loves the game. "I'll advise him, and I have done so by telling him to take his coaching courses. He knows that at any time, if he wanted any help or wanted time working with the younger players, we would give it to him."

http://www.talksport.co.uk/magazine/features/2011-07-20/john-terry-jamie-carragher-phil-neville-danny-murphy-and-players-most-likely-become-managers?

WhiteJC

Fulham prepare for Crusaders

John Arne Riise will make his Fulham debut in Thursday's Europa League second qualifying round second leg against Crusaders.

The Cottagers head into the tie against the Northern Ireland part-timers with a 3-1 lead and manager Martin Jol has confirmed the former Liverpool left-back will start after joining from Roma.

Jol intends to deploy a mix of youth and experience at Craven Cottage, while Clint Dempsey (jetlag), Moussa Dembele (ankle) and Simon Davies (knee) are all out.

Meanwhile Jol has conceded his squad needs bolstering if Fulham are to compete across all the competitions this season.

The Cottagers began their competitive campaign with a Europa League tie on June 30 and have an arduous-looking season ahead.

Fulham have so far coped by relying heavily on youth prospects in their ties with Faroese minnows NSI Runavik and Crusaders.

While manager Jol says such matches are more like pre-season friendlies, he admits he will need a larger squad if Fulham are to do themselves justice in both domestic cup competitions and Barclays Premier League.

"I am happy with the business we've done so far but, as you know, we've lost six or seven players," he said.

"We need a couple of players to get a very good young squad.

"Up front, for example, we have Bobby [Zamora] and Andrew [Johnson] then the rest is [Lauri] Dalla Valle, [Marcello] Trotta - very young players.

"We played them in the [friendly] matches against Wimbledon and Stevenage and they're not ready yet to fill in that role as a back-up for Johnson and Zamora.

"They are talented but of course we need players.

"[Clint] Dempsey is coming back so that helps, but he plays on the left.

"[Moussa] Dembele is injured so last week we had a little problem against Crusaders.

"I had to play Kerim Frei on Thursday and Sunday, which is maybe evidence that we need a couple of players."

Jol has been linked with moves for a host of talent from across Europe this summer and spent most of Wednesday's press conference batting away speculation.

The Dutchman insisted there was no truth linking him with moves for Tottenham striker Robbie Keane, Barcelona's Jeffren and former Fulham favourite Steed Malbranque, who now plays for Sunderland.

However, Jol did confirm the signing of Czech Republic Under-21 midfielder Marcel Gecov from Slovan Liberec on a two-year deal.

"He's signed and I am happy with him," Jol said. "He is a very talented player.

"He's a good midfield player and played against England [in the Under-21 European Championships] and got two assists so he is full of confidence.

"He knows he can play against English teams and that helps. He signed the contract yesterday.

"He had a very good tournament and was very decisive in games.

"That gave us confidence and he has been on our radar for at least a year.

"The Fulham scouts knew him and had very good reports on him."

While several players could follow Gecov to the west London club, Jol insists few will be leaving the club for pastures new.

The Dutchman does not think many will leave Craven Cottage before the end of the transfer window, although he admits question marks remain over the futures of goalkeeper David Stockdale and left-back Carlos Salcido.

Speaking of England squad goalkeeper Stockdale, Jol said: "We are talking to a few clubs but he is still here because we think the conditions must be fine.

"I explained last week that we wanted to be able to recall him if necessary because if something happens with Mark [Schwarzer] I think I need a back-up."

On the future of Mexico international Salcido, who joined from PSV Eindhoven last summer, Jol added: "We are still talking to a few clubs and if the conditions are fine then it is okay with me but if not he will come back.

"I know him from Holland and from the Mexican national team so either way it will be a good solution.
"If he stays, it is okay with me. If he goes, it will be good for the club because we get some money."

Fulham provisional squad v Crusaders: Schwarzer, Baird, Hangeland, Senderos, Hughes, JA Riise, Etuhu, Davies, Murphy, Sidwell, BH Riise, Trotta, Dalla Valle, Zamora, Johnson, Stockdale, Kelly, Donegan, Frei.

http://www.u.tv/Sport/Fulham-prepare-for-Crusaders/c004bbeb-c971-4d95-8622-ca03c2335c54?

WhiteJC

Jol Wary Of Visiting Crusaders

Martin Jol said Fulham need to be on their guard against Crusaders in the second leg of their Europa League qualifying tie.Fulham won the first leg of the second-round tie 3-1 in Belfast last Thursday and are overwhelming favourites to progress to the third round.

But the English Premier League side were given a shock in the first leg, as the semi-professional Northern Irish team managed to equalise in the second-half before conceding two late goals.

"Of course if you are 3-1 up its always a good score but we have to be focused, we have to concentrate and not let them score because that's another target – don't concede," Jol said.

"We will score goals, we've got good players."

Jol will have two new faces at his disposal for the match, after the club completed the signings of former Roma defender John Arne Riise and Czech Under-21 international Marcel Gecov this week.

Riise arrives at Craven Cottage after three seasons in the Italian capital, having already spent seven years in the Premier League with Liverpool.

Defensive midfielder Gecov signed for an undisclosed fee from Czech side Slovan Liberec on Wednesday.

"I expect of him (John Arne Riise) that he'll play the same role as he always did for Liverpool, for Roma – especially for Roma, because there were very good stories about him," Jol said.

"They probably wanted to keep him but he wanted to go back to England and that helped us to get a player of his quality so he will play tomorrow and he's only here for five days."

"Gecov? Yeah (he) signed and I'm happy with him. He's a very talented player."

"I'm happy with the business we have done so far but as you know we lost six or seven players in a couple of months time so we need to get a couple of players to get a very good, strong squad."

Riise said he was hoping to slot straight into the side for Thursday's tie against Crusaders, and insisted the club was committed to going as far as they could in the competition.

"You can look at the team the manager puts out. He wants to play to win. I think we're in this competition because it's great to be in Europe," Riise said.

"And like I said two years ago, I came to the final (which Fulham lost 2-1 to Atletico Madrid) which was a great achievement for the club. If we can get something similar today, this year, this is going to be awesome."

http://www.footballfancast.com/2011/07/football-news/jol-wary-of-visiting-crusaders

WhiteJC

Crusaders prepare for Fulham test

Crusaders manager Stephen Baxter has urged his players to stay "switched on" during the second leg of their Europa League second qualifying round tie against Fulham at Craven Cottage.

"It's important that our players stick to their jobs and we stay in the game for as long as we can," said Baxter.

"We must make sure we are not overawed and give a good account of ourselves.

"We are talking full-time against part-time here and it would take a mighty bit of good fortune to cause an upset."

The Crues trail the Premier League side 3-1 after last week's first leg at Seaview.

"It was good to get out and get a feel for the pitch on Wednesday and training has not been a problem in recent weeks - it's been easy to motivate the players, they don't want to come off.

"We know we are up against it but we were pleased with our performance last week and the penalty decision in their favour at the end probably made it a flattering scoreline.

"They are firm favourites but we need to sustain their pressure and play our way into the game and get a feel for the surroundings and the atmosphere.

"You only have to look at their team and all their international stars, so we know all about them and know what to expect.

"I've had to tell our players to put their cameras away as they're acting like tourists but it's a good exercise in building team spirit ahead of our own domestic season," added Baxter.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14228159.stm?

WhiteJC

Jol's Pre-Crusaders Interview
by LORK on JULY 20, 2011

A really, really interesting interview with Martin Jol on the official website and a revealing one too. In it he talks of the revelation that is Matty Briggs (and the possible left-sided combination he could form with Riise), how Schwarzer is the best keeper he's worked, the concen over the quality of the squad – specifically mentioning how it was his 'second XI and not the reserve team' that lost to lower league Stevenage and AFC Wimbledon – amongst other things. Worth a watch.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/07/jols-pre-crusaders-interview/?

WhiteJC

Riise's taken a decade to find Cottage after snubbing Fulham to join Liverpool

John Arne Riise revealed that his debut for Fulham nearly took place 10 years ago.

The Norway full back will finally make his first appearance for the club on Thursday night when they host Crusaders in the second leg of their Europa League second qualifying round tie, which they lead 3-1 from the first leg.

All smiles: Riise, who joined Fulham earlier this month, shares a joke with Zamora

But the milestone could have come a decade ago. Riise, 30, said: 'Ten years ago I was close to signing for Fulham, and I mean very close. It was Jean Tigana who signed me for Monaco and then he wanted to take me to Fulham.

'It was very close but I ended up signing for Liverpool and I don't regret that decision.

'When you are 20 years old and Liverpool ask you to play for them it's quite an easy decision.'

After seven years at Anfield, Riise swapped Merseyside for Roma in 2008, and has now signed a three-year deal at Craven Cottage.

Riise said: 'It just felt right to come to Fulham. My brother (Bjorn Helge) is here so I knew the club.'

Fulham have also signed Slovan Liberec midfielder Marcel Gecov, 23, on a two-year contract.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2017033/John-Arne-Riise-joined-Fulham-2001.html#ixzz1SiiasIxi

WhiteJC

Swansea up Stockdale stakes with £2.5m bid for goalkeeper

Swansea City have made an improved £2.5million bid for Fulham goalkeeper David Stockdale.

Manager Brendan Rodgers had a £2m bid rejected 10 days ago and has since offered £1.3m for Nottingham Forest's Lee Camp.

Fulham would prefer Stockdale to go out on loan and gain first-team experience but are reluctant to do so to a rival Premier League club because top-flight rules mean they cannot insert a 24-hour recall clause.

Rodgers said: 'It's well-known that they want him to get a loan experience, but the difficulty for Fulham is that if he goes to another Premier League club, they won't have an immediate recall.

'So even though the Premier League is the best level for him to be at, strategically it may not be best for Fulham. But we are looking to see if there's a solution.

'We think we will know either way in the next 24 to 48 hours whether David is going to be in the list of keepers we could go for, and that's important.'

Fulham have signed Slovan Liberec midfielder Marcel Gecov, 23, on a two-year contract for about £750,000 and they continue to negotiate with Palermo over 19-year-old Pajtim Kasami, a former Liverpool youth player, who is valued at £4m.

Fulham have had a £2.8m offer rejected.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2017050/Swansea-Stockdale-stakes-2-5m-bid-goalkeeper.html#ixzz1Sij1NTi2

WhiteJC

Fulham out to put Euro tie to bed

Aaron Hughes challenges Jordan Owens last week

After their shock at Seaview, Fulham will be pulling out the stops to achieve Europa League progression tonight.

The Premier League side welcome Crusaders to Craven Cottage and do so with a health away goal advantage.

But even Fulham's 3-1 victory in Belfast last Thursday didn't come easily.

Stephen Baxter's men battled to contain the superior opposition and new signing Timmy Adamson's equaliser kept things level at half time.

Chris Baird admits it was a bit of a shock.

"They made it hard for us as they're a good team," said the Fulham and Northern Ireland defender.

"We expect a battle at home because the game is not over, it's 3-1 to us. They made it hard for us and they are a good team, so it will be hard for us. But we're at home and I fancy our chances against anyone at home.

"I think these games will be useful for the start of the season as it gets us up to speed and the teams who haven't started yet will be playing a bit of catch-up.

"I knew Crusaders would be hard, I told the players that they would be in our faces to make it difficult for us, and they did that. All in all I was pleased with our professional attitude, getting the win was important.

"But credit to Crusaders, they made it hard for us and they will make it hard for us again.

His teammate and Northern Ireland captain Aaron Hughes agrees, and knows they will have a fight on their hands.

"They had a really solid game against us last week," the 31 year-old said.

"Our preparation to date has been no different than it would be for any other competitive game.

"We feel a bit strange that we're playing competitive games at this time of the year but we're getting ourselves fit, because we're not 100 per cent there yet.

"We want to be fit for the start of the Premier League, that's our objective, but we're back into training and we're definitely determined to get back there."

Playing at the Cottage will present a three-fold advantage according to Hughes.

Back at home means all the usual comforts and a bigger support, but it also means a tougher challenge for Crusaders and running out on grass.

He added: "The artificial pitch did make a difference.

"Returning to grass will be far more comfortable and although we had experience of playing on a surface like that before, it was different last week.

"The ball didn't roll very fluently so it's good to get back to a comfortable surface.

"I know that Crusaders will really be up for it.

"I briefly chatted to both Stuart Dallas and Colin Coates after the match, before we got on the bus.

"I know Colin from the international team but I hadn't spoken to Stuart before. There's been a lot of talk about the young lad and he's clearly got talent."

http://www.bournelocal.co.uk/sport/football/fulham_out_to_put_euro_tie_to_bed_1_2883437

WhiteJC

Ghana international Pantsil set for Foxes deal

CITY are set to bolster their defensive ranks with the signing of Fulham's John Pantsil on a free transfer.

The Ghana international is out-of-contract with the Barclays Premier League club and Foxes boss Sven-Goran Eriksson has turned to the 29-year-old after seemingly giving up on his chase of Kyle Naughton, who impressed on-loan at City last term.

Pantsil, capped 66 times by Ghana, fell out of favour at Craven Cottage under Mark Hughes last season and he wasn't offered a new deal to stay at the club beyond this summer.

FoxesTalk understands the experienced defender, who arrived in England at West Ham United before making the switch to Fulham, has agreed terms on a deal at the King Power Stadium and could be revealed as Eriksson's latest signing tomorrow.

Young winger Jason Banton and former Manchester City and Everton full-back Michael Ball are expected to follow suit in the coming days.

Both players have been on trial with the Foxes this month and are understood to have impressed enough to warrant a deal with City.

Ball hasn't been at a club since his release from City in 2009 while 18-year-old Banton was released by Liverpool this summer and has also had spells with Arsenal and Blackburn Rovers.

http://www.foxestalk.co.uk/home/ghana-international-pantsil-set-for-foxes-deal.html?

WhiteJC

Riise to make Fulham debut against Crusaders

John Arne Riise will make his Fulham debut this evening in the Europa League home match with Crusaders.

"I've settled in really well," Riise said. "I knew about the club before I arrived through my brother, Bjorn. I'm really enjoying it and training has been really good."

Fulham have signed 23-year-old Czech midfielder Marcel Gecov from Slovan Liberec for an undisclosed fee.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/riise-to-make-fulham-debut-against-crusaders-2317635.html?

WhiteJC

Riise ready to make belated Fulham bow

NEW FULHAM signing John Arne Riise is ready to make his club debut in tonight's Europa League qualifier against Crusaders a decade on from the collapse of a proposed transfer.

The Norway international spurned the opportunity to join the Cottagers back in 2001 when Liverpool registered last minute interest.

Fulham head into the tie against the Northern Ireland part-timers with a 3-1 lead and manager Martin Jol has confirmed the former Liverpool left-back will start after joining from Roma. Clint Dempsey, Moussa Dembele and Simon Davies are all out injured, however.

http://www.cityam.com/sport/riise-ready-make-belated-fulham-bow?

WhiteJC

Europa League: Crusaders pledge tough night for Fulham

Irish League teams simply aren't expected to get results at Premier League grounds and that's why Crusaders manager Stephen Baxter is considering a radical approach to the daunting test at Craven Cottage tonight (7.30pm).

The Crues will have to leave their attacking instinct in the dressing room and their manager joked: "We're going to adopt a new formation — we're going to play 10 at the back, with six centre-halves."

Fulham lead the Europa League second qualifying round contest |3-1 from the first leg but Martin Jol's side found the going tough on the minnows' artificial surface.

But for this challenge on the banks of the River Thames, the Crues are focused on keeping the floodgates shut.

As the old saying goes, it's not David v Goliath, it's Goliath v David's wee brother.

But while Baxter returned from holiday with an impressive tan in time to see his troops give the Cottagers a real scare, there was no danger of the former Linfield and Crues striker turning red with embarrassment.

In fact when debutant Timmy Adamson rattled the Fulham crossbar shortly after netting a stunning equaliser, it was the Premier League side on the ropes until two goals in the last 15 minutes saw them escape with their pride intact.

"The players are young and hungry and they are a great bunch," added Baxter.

"The first leg at Seaview was an occasion in which we could all say we are proud to be Crusaders people.

"We never let ourselves down at Seaview and that's the challenge again at Craven Cottage.

"We left Seaview with our heads held high and I'm very proud of them. Now we'll see who is available and go with a shape and work as hard as we worked in the first leg.

"The tie is over but we have to take as much out of this experience as we can. We don't expect to beat Fulham at their own ground but we do expect to give a good account of ourselves. It'll be good to get the players together so they can enjoy each other's company. It's all team building and we'll see where it takes us."

Irish League teams have won plenty of admirers this summer for their memorable performances on the European stage and those who thought the Crues players would be lambs to the slaughter against Aaron Hughes, Chris Baird and co. called it wrong.

Jol is likely to shuffle his pack for the rematch but there is no question the visitors will face an even more daunting challenge than a week ago.

But Baxter has a stronger squad at his disposal after strengthening his panel over the summer and new boys Paul Leeman, Adamson and keeper Sean O'Neill showed their class in the first leg.

"You look at a player like Paul Leeman who was a debutant and yet he is 33 — he never put a foot wrong in the first leg," added Baxter. "There was quality from us and Adamson's a handful.

"What a goal and that's what we need to compete — we need the quality players. Our new goalkeeper Sean O'Neill pulled off a few smart saves and gave a great account of himself. Ciaran Gargan also came on and looked handy for 25 minutes as well.

"It was a very encouraging performance, especially when you look at the players who weren't available to us (Colin Coates, Chris Morrow and Declan Caddell).

"We need strength in depth to see the season through. You need to push on, you can't stand still in this game. You have to work harder. We finished second in the Irish League, Irish Cup and County Antrim Shield last season and if you want to finish first you have to work harder."

Meanwhile, Aaron Hughes knows the Crues players will be rolling up their sleeves again tonight.

"They have nothing to lose and will love the experience of playing at Craven Cottage," said Hughes.

"They may trail 3-1 but they'll be up for this one."

John Arne Riise will make his Fulham debut.

Provisional squad: Schwarzer, Baird, Hangeland, Senderos, Hughes, JA Riise, Etuhu, Davies, Murphy, Sidwell, BH Riise, Trotta, Dalla Valle, Zamora, Johnson, Stockdale, Kelly, Donegan, Frei.

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/local/europa-league-crusaders-pledge-tough-night-for-fulham-16025904.html?#ixzz1Sikv4nwE