News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

A bit of help from FP please, or anyone whose been to Argentina lately.

Started by FatFreddysCat, July 29, 2011, 10:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatFreddysCat

I've always had a thing for South America since the 78 World Cup, the central bits Mexico , the whole Cancun thing holds no interest i might as well do maguluf. Looking at either Brazil or Argentina as a holiday ( though Spain will be next). The most important thing is how much is a beer? and is it any good? I'd like a nice sort of 80f temp and no rain, no searing 100f  degres plus. Is there a nice beach resort near BA ? And would it be safe for an English family to walk about at night? Not just the tourist part, i'd like to hit a few proper local bars. Ooops regarding the temp what would be the best month to go?

finnster01

I will be holding my tongue/fingers but as far as temps go don't even think about May and June but I guess it depends on how far south you go
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

clintclintdeuce

Ive been down there a few years ago. Its safe to a point, the beer is good and quite cheap, and the service industry is rediculously cheap. The only thing I had a problem with was their ATM's, would only let me take out USD $200 per day, and charged me $14 to do it. Apparently that type of money is not everyday money in Argentina so the banks limit the withdrawls for fraud and theft reasons.

The river in BA is murkey, and really no beaches on it. The beaches are a bit away from BA, and you can easliy reach them by luxury coach(I would not recommend the city buses). Spend some time in BA exploring the city then head north for the beaches for a few days. Remember that its winter there when its summer in the UK. I went in February and March and it was in in the 90s. The weather is not unbearable when its that hot though.
The Dude abides.

FatFreddysCat

I forgot about you Finny, doubt we'll meet up in Argentina for a beer  :dft012: I also forgot about how long the country is, if i can be sunbathing in London whilst the game at Sunderland is called off for blizzards, then Argentina must be very varied.

clintclintdeuce

And Fred, I hopeevery one of your traveling party are ready to eat beautiful meat for every meal with dolce de leche for desert... at every meal! The food is really incredible. Try some street vendors and their sandwiches as well... the ones that look reputable at least.

And if I remeber right it was like 3.50 usd for a pitcher of Quilmes, and in my hotel the bottles of beer from the minifridge were 50 cents each.

The Dude abides.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: clintclintdeuce on July 29, 2011, 11:16:41 PM
And Fred, I hopeevery one of your traveling party are ready to eat beautiful meat for every meal with dolce de leche for desert... at every meal! The food is really incredible. Try some street vendors and their sandwiches as well... the ones that look reputable at least.

And if I remeber right it was like 3.50 usd for a pitcher of Quilmes, and in my hotel the bottles of beer from the minifridge were 50 cents each.

I've heard great things about the steaks, the beer seems incredibly cheap, though if i'm out i wont go in a place that sells bottles rather than draught. What places in the north would have hotels and nice beaches?

In the Enclosure

Go December for either - Giant Christmas tree in the lake behind Ipanema in 80 degrees heat.

Seriously Fred don't think either are a place for kids. Great sights for adullts in BA (did the tour of Boca Juniors ground)  but BA has no beaches and Rio is like pitching a sunbed in Trafalgar square on a busy day!
You can buy a football shirt or an ice cream from a sunbed with a flick of you eyebrow but the sheer weight of body press can be alarming for adults let alone wondering where your kids are - no room for sandcastles !

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: In the Enclosure on July 30, 2011, 12:08:06 AM
Go December for either - Giant Christmas tree in the lake behind Ipanema in 80 degrees heat.

Seriously Fred don't think either are a place for kids. Great sights for adullts in BA (did the tour of Boca Juniors ground)  but BA has no beaches and Rio is like pitching a sunbed in Trafalgar square on a busy day!
You can buy a football shirt or an ice cream from a sunbed with a flick of you eyebrow but the sheer weight of body press can be alarming for adults let alone wondering where your kids are - no room for sandcastles !
Cheers for the info, but Rio was never on my itinery, i was thinking more of the Natel area if Brazil, but i'd prefer Argentina.

BB

All good info here.... If you fancy a trip down the River Plate. Check out "Buq-e-Bus", the local ferry company from downtown BA to downtown Montevideo (Uruguay) in less than 2 hours!!! ( No sodding about with 1 hour taxi rides to the Airports at either end and no 3 hour before flight time check ins!! ) Do the local trip from here to see the remains of the Graf Spee. For a great resort and a really nice place, go a bit further North up the coast, into Brazil and try Florianopilis. November to March is warm to HOT. If you can manage any of Spanish and Portuguese language, you'll have a great time!!   

clintclintdeuce

When I was there we went up to Puerto Iguazu and saw the largest waterfalls in the world. Kinda touristy the city was and you can go to Brazil or Paraguay from there by bus or car. US citizens needed visas to cross into Brazil, dont know if thats the case for UK citizens. I do remember a fair amount of kids as well.

For the beach area I would check out Pinamar.
The Dude abides.

clintclintdeuce

The Dude abides.

AmericanJames

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on July 29, 2011, 10:31:03 PM
I've always had a thing for South America since the 78 World Cup, the central bits Mexico , the whole Cancun thing holds no interest i might as well do maguluf. Looking at either Brazil or Argentina as a holiday ( though Spain will be next). The most important thing is how much is a beer? and is it any good? I'd like a nice sort of 80f temp and no rain, no searing 100f  degres plus. Is there a nice beach resort near BA ? And would it be safe for an English family to walk about at night? Not just the tourist part, i'd like to hit a few proper local bars. Ooops regarding the temp what would be the best month to go?

Honestly mate if your concerned about the price of a pint then Cancun is the way to go, I was down there for the week of the 1st Juve game. My mates and I had an all inclusive package really cheap and for the amount we drank I feared we were going to bankrupt the resort. Also there where quite a few British down there and they even seemed to be impressed w/ this yanks football knowledge (I didnt feel too great about thought, many were Leeds fans  064.gif)  I even came close to getting in a ruck w/ Chelscum fan (told him there is only one team in Fulham,), combine that w/ how well I did w. the ladies and it was a amazing trip. Plus if your in for the family thing there is tons of that type stuff  to do from the ruin of Chichen Itza to swimming w. dolphins. Do yourself a favor a take a look at it, just be sure its not during American university spring break.
Some people are literally too stupid to insult

Me-ate-Live, innit??