more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Klinnsman usa coach??

Started by jarv, July 29, 2011, 10:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarv

What do our American friends think?

Let's hope he finds the time to travel to Europe a LOT and all over USA looking at players., Having said that, he wll probably have staff to do that.

076.gif

clintclintdeuce

Hopefully he will be given the keys to revamp the youth system. We didnt qualify for the U20s and I reckon that is one of the reasons Bob lost his job.
The Dude abides.

PaulUMD

I thought Bradley was a pretty good manager but I also hate the idea of keeping him for two cycles.  So I wish we hired Klinsy after the WC, patted him on his back for a job well done, and sent him on his way.  But here we are.

If Klinsy can revamp the youth setup and try to change the soccer culture then I'll be pretty happy.  Not expecting to have a great cycle to be honest, so hoping for a good long term strategy.

MisfitKid

Again...  Shhhhh   :033:
Don't tell Don...   Get Coat gif
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

HatterDon

please move this to the Exiles forum where all things American belong!
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Jimbobob

Quote from: Tom on July 30, 2011, 02:03:58 AM
Quote from: clintclintdeuce on July 29, 2011, 11:09:14 PM
Hopefully he will be given the keys to revamp the youth system. We didnt qualify for the U20s and I reckon that is one of the reasons Bob lost his job.
He will be given the keys to the youth system and everything will be revamped. He did the same thing when he was in charge in Germany.

Well I hope so Tom. The problem here which our friends all over the world just don't understand is the game here at the youth level is a pay to play. Our problem is we have not found a way to infuse the talent we may have from an immigrating population into our very messed up system. Look at the WNT - these were either girls from rich families or they were bankrupting their parents and the infustructure for the womans game is much more deep due to title IX at the university level. This however has NO bearing on the mens game. That is why we have to indentify our incoming population of players and support them. We have to market the game much better here and make young men think it is a not a sissy sport which I am sorry to say the vast population of american men belive. That is just a fact and when the great unwashed do watch the men play as in the WC of last year they see a bunch of diving. Our big sport here is a game where the goal is to knock the poo out of the other guy so when a american man see's a guy play acting it just reconfirms that the game is for sissy's. He has a big job and he has the personality to really change things here. He likes america and he loves the game so I say give him a chance. I am sorry to go on but everyone outside of the states needs to understand what an uphill battle this is here.
"You don't want to be trapped inside with me sunshine. Inside, I'm somebody nobody wants to love with do you understand?

WhiteJC

Quote from: HatterDon on July 30, 2011, 04:50:18 AM
please move this to the Exiles forum where all things American belong!

your wish is my command  :dft012:

Mitch

Honestly, I think it's a poor move for his career and a kop out for him. He's already US based and looks a bit of a lazy option when he could have been applying for a decent club teams position as manager. Instead he's going to be playing Panama and Jamaica a few times a year and the only real stress will come from occasional game against Mexico or larger tournaments where peoples actual expectations is low to middling. I appreciate that makes it a win/win for him, but you would have thought after impressing with Germany he could of gone on to do a bit more than dropping down a rung.

Mitch

Quote from: Tom on July 30, 2011, 10:29:35 AM
Quote from: Mitch on July 30, 2011, 10:15:26 AM
Honestly, I think it's a poor move for his career and a kop out for him. He's already US based and looks a bit of a lazy option when he could have been applying for a decent club teams position as manager. Instead he's going to be playing Panama and Jamaica a few times a year and the only real stress will come from occasional game against Mexico or larger tournaments where peoples actual expectations is low to middling. I appreciate that makes it a win/win for him, but you would have thought after impressing with Germany he could of gone on to do a bit more than dropping down a rung.
He is not lazy and have no clue where you are getting that from.  063.gif
I think you've misunderstood. I'm saying it lacks ambition. He's going from potential to a cushy job in international management. The pressures of a team at the level of the USA, ie decent, but you wont get sacked for not winning the WC, is a kop out compared to some of the jobs he could have potentially have had where the pressure is so much higher.

Mitch

In my opinion I don't think a manager can improve an international team further than a certain point. He can only work with what he has got and what the country as a whole produces. England as an example are crying out for a centre mid who can play it simple and keep the ball, instead we have 'Hollywood Ball' Gerrard and one other. Luckily it looks like Wilshere coming through may improve that, but we can't go and buy a Xavi or a Sneijder, so the manager has to make do.

Mitch

There's a huge level of difference between the expectations of the English and the USA for the manager and the team though isn't there, so it's not a fair comparison. I'm saying he could of got a job at a top club where he'd be expected to win trophies and could make something of himself, but instead he's taking another international job, conveniently where he lives and that is a drop down from the country he managed prior.

Who is rated as the next big thing for the US now? Other than Agudelo (sp?).

RidgeRider

Mitch, I see your point regarding Klinsmann and the US. If he was looking short term, I think it is a level down in terms of expectations and personnel however staying in the US is not bad thing for him and it is a BIG job no matter. It is high media exposure (albiet with less pressure), with players stretched out throughout a large country and across the globe (compared to say England job where 99% of the English players are in one league in a much smaller geography).

So in terms of the challenge of the job I think the US job is harder in some respects except in the area of expectations. There are those hard core fans who want more success but the vast majority of US fans could careless.....though support is increasing.

Back to the long term view, if he is thinking long, then it is more challenging than other jobs because he has to build the national team with some limited talent at the moment but also has to have his eyes on developing talent in the U21 and U17 youth programs underneath the national team. So I think this is a bigger job than most if he is looking out 4 - 8 years. I am guessing since he is Gulati's love child that long discussions over the entire US setup have occurred and there has been an agreement on the vision for the entire US setup moving forward. So I think he is taking on a huge job personally with lots of upside if he gets it done.

Mitch

Agree that I've under appreciated the effort of scouting and keeping on top of players with the US having such a large geography, but I can't agree with it being harder looking at a long term view - no international manager is employed to look after that, it is down to the respective FA. The manager won't be looking out to make sure the US performs in six years time, he will be interested in what he can do now, after all in 6-8 years time he will be long gone.

SteveM19

It ahd to happen sooner or later. I am a little apprehensive, but see a lot of upside. Maybe that is the ceiling over Klinsmann's ego, which seems pretty outsized for this position. But the higher ups at USSF are a little complacent, and I hope that this move shakes them up a little. Bradley had a nice run -- winning the group at the WC and a Gold Cup, but he seemed to get complacent and we played that way, and that is what cost us the last GC, throwing a 2-0 lead away was pretty awful.

Good luck to JK, I hope he makes it happen.

finnster01

Klinsmann on Fifa.com today. He is looking to find a Lionel Messi. Somebody tell him to stay on decaf. This smells very Kevin Keegan'ish:

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsid=1484897/index.html
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

HatterDon

It is very Keegan-ish. Once he discovers (a) how much hard work it is to do this job in a country as big as the USA -- AND -- (b) what his actual talent pool is -- AND -- (c) that he's actually supposed to surpass Bradley's achievements, he'll do a runner and spend the summer with his feet up overlooking the Pacific.

I THINK I can say that without incurring wrath, but you never know -- Keegan might be a cultural icon of one of the mods and my post will disappear.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

nevzter

Quote from: SteveM19 on July 31, 2011, 10:24:05 PM

Good luck to JK, I hope he makes it happen.

I agree...and good to hear from you.  I missed Ms. Hepburn.

I'm not thrilled with JK's appointment, still wondering about it, and while I appreciate what Mr. Bradley accomplished, he should've been let go a year ago. 
"To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable."

SoCalJoe

As opposed to posting on all the different threads, here's a 'one-stop shopping' post;

BB out; It was time. The team's dreadful performance in the Gold Cup (I don't care if they made the Final, not one single complete match the whole tourney) and it was obvious to see the squad had tuned him out. To be fair, overall he did very good job and his tenure can only be regarded as a success. However, his last squad selection (especially on the back line) and non communication to the Mexican League players (specifically Gomez and Torres), and inability to make defensive adjustments were head scratchers.

JK in; While I'm skeptical and a little worried that he won't put in the time, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he'll be the breath of fresh air the team needs. Maybe there will even be a style of play we all can put a finger on (a novel concept). Let's not bury him before he's ACTUALLY coached some matches in the next WC qualifying cycle.

Wager he's still around by 2014? Yes, I'd take that bet, but only a fiver  :58: :047:  Would I be surprised that if things go bad he'd jump ship and be back on the sand in Manhattan Beach? Not at all.

First order of Business; Get on a plane, fly to his homeland, and get Timothy Chandler to commit (JK does that and he will of made a major contribution before a meaningful game is played). On his way back, swing by Norwich City and tell Whitbread he's getting the call in person. Unless he's willing to revamp the entire backline, there is ZERO chance of success.
You can observe a lot by just watching.