watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Exclusive: The First ever Fulham FC Badge from 1898

Started by LBNo11, August 05, 2011, 10:16:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBNo11

...I have been fortunate enough to have received an e-mail from former Fulham Director David Shrimpton who knows of my interest in the history of Fulham FC. He has very kindly sent me this exclusive photograph of the first ever Fulham FC badge as worn by the Fulham first team in 1898, and in this case by his grandfather Henry David Shrimpton, the captain of the team back then.

David's family have the longest running connection with The Fulham Football Club as can be seen in the introduction and in the text of the the historical document "The Foundation of The Fulham Football Club" http://www.friendsoffulham.com/foundation.php?fdtID=2

Here is a unique, extremely rare, and important part of the heritage of this great club:-

I hope you all, like myself would like to thank David and his family for sharing this with us...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

FC Silver Fox

Its timeless classic style really does give it class, doesn't it?  Its a pity we didn't get inspiration from this 1st badge when we moved to the current badge.   JC could do wonders with this (hint hint)

I add my thanks to the Shrimpton family for sharing this with us.
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

FC Silver Fox

Not too sure about the shirts though. It looks like they're off to a white tie dinner.

Hey, isn't that Corked Hat and Peabody in the back row there ?
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

Jimpav

Thanks for sharing this David and of course LB.

Wonder if the club will ever change badge again and if they would consider going back to this one?

Any chance you could do a modern day kit with this badge White JC?

WhiteJC

this is wonderful, I'll get cracking over the weekend  :54:

CorkedHat

Quote from: FC Silver Fox on August 05, 2011, 10:38:24 AM
Not too sure about the shirts though. It looks like they're off to a white tie dinner.

Hey, isn't that Corked Hat and Peabody in the back row there ?

That's me Mr Fox. As I was saying to my colleagues only the other day - notice how the goalkeeper wore the same shirt as the rest of us. No wonder there weren't any penalties given for handball -they couldn't work out who the goalie was.  092.gif
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

Chopper

That's very cool indeed. Thanks for sharing it.

I've actually got used to our current badge now, but if we were going to change I'd like us to return to a version of the H&F borough coat of arms.
Sold my soul to the Green Pole

finnster01

Fantastic.  :clap_hands:
Thanks for sharing that. Top drawers!

Please notice Matthew Briggs great-grandfather (back row far right). The haircut runs in the family.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Vinnieffc

That is absolute class and wouldn't look out of place today. Thanks for sharing.

Jonno

Love that - why oh why didnt we take that badge as inspiration for the new one. If we did have to change, we could have done far worse.

Maidstone Lee

Stand up if you still believe!
@LeeWarner19

Peabody

Sorry Mr Fox but I must be the only Shrimpton not to play for Fulham. Love the badge though.

The Bronsons

Looks great - distinctive, but like a proper football club badge. Thanks for posting, LB, and respect to David Shrimpton and his family.

LordNelson

"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"

Burt

Quote from: Maidstone Lee on August 05, 2011, 11:59:02 AM
Cracking badge but not sure about the shirts!

At least there are no Kappa logos plastered all over them  :dft011:

Jimbobob

Well look at that.....Black Shorts!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:57: :57: :57:
Capital badge as well!!!
"You don't want to be trapped inside with me sunshine. Inside, I'm somebody nobody wants to love with do you understand?

sipwell

Great post, Ed! That is a fine badge and a fine story to accompany it with. Do you have any idea why they used a sword? To what is it a reference?
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

LBNo11

Quote from: sipwell on August 05, 2011, 03:49:02 PM
Great post, Ed! That is a fine badge and a fine story to accompany it with. Do you have any idea why they used a sword? To what is it a reference?

...to answer you sipwell, I will add another bit of history your question is answered in bold:-

"Pro Civibus et Civitate" (For The People And The State). Civic arms of FULHAM METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL granted 12th October 1927.

The wavy blue lines on the white ground of the shield are emblematical of the River Thames, which forms the most important geographical feature of the district, and bounds the borough for a little more than half its area.

The crossed swords through a golden mitre on a red saltire are taken from the arms of the See of London, whose Bishops represented by the mitre have held the Manor of Fulham since the end of the seventh century.

The ancient black ship with a white sail bearing a red and a white rose at the centre, refers to the visit of the Danes to Fulham in the year 879 (coincidentally 1000 years before Fulham FC was founded) . It accentuates the ecclesiastical character of Fulham whose Manor, which included also the parish of Hammersmith, belonged to the Bishops...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

HatterDon

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

TheDaddy

History aint it a fantastic thing,bring the badge back !
"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "